Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E04: Auditions 4 2018.06.25

• Start Topic

(edited)

I am legitimately confused as to why Arcadian Broad is on the show. Is it the usual "I want to explore more dance styles" for the ballet males who've been on it? I haven't watched the the full show, yet.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2

Nigel’s skepticism about the b-boy picking up other styles was starting to tick me off. Does he not remember Legacy? Heck, even Jose in S7 got onto the show, and he was a much weaker dancer than Legacy, and not as magnetic as tonight’s dancer was. The guy tonight had real presence onstage and could connect with the audience, as the other judges pointed out. At least give the guy a chance at the Academy, even if he washes out after a round or two.

• Love 11
(edited)

Did they seriously put through the brain-surgery-once-a-year girl?  She couldn't dance.  Isn't that some kind of prerequisite?  I'm thinking of entering next season since ability obviously isn't required.

The last guy was too freaky for me to watch.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
(edited)

Vanessa Hudgens can go home now. The costumes,with the casually slipping off the shoulder and changing hairstyles are done for me. More tWitch, with helpful and hopeful critiques please.  I have respect for Mary as she has a body of work to support her opinions.

Disappointed in the judges that they couldn't appreciate the spoken word of Shane Koyczan and referred to it as a song. Wonder how Travis Wall would have reacted to that audition.

https://metro.co.uk/2014/10/25/spoken-word-artist-shane-koyczan-has-written-a-poem-about-internet-trolls-and-its-utterly-beautiful-4920900/

I just don't get tap. Perhaps it's a different experience seen live. Watching it through the TV I see it as a something that would be an enjoyable activity as an individual. That the judges can have a detailed discussion of the rhythms and difficulty just means I most certainly am not a dancer.

Edited by kb3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think tap is better appreciated with familiarity.  I grew up on Astaire/Rogers and Gene Kelly films, so I just love the style. One of my horrified reactions to SYTYCD was one judges critique where Nigel told a couple to watch more Gene Kelly films to get examples of the Broadway genre, and they admitted they had never seen any Kelly performances!

My favorite tap number from Astaire might be the firecrackers dance from Holiday Inn. It is a great example of the rhythmic, percussive style that tap embodies: 

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 4
(edited)
5 hours ago, kb3 said:

I just don't get tap. Perhaps it's a different experience seen live. Watching it through the TV I see it as a something that would be an enjoyable activity as an individual. That the judges can have a detailed discussion of the rhythms and difficulty just means I most certainly am not a dancer.

I love watching tap through my TV when it is Gene Kelley and Donald O'Connor performing "Moses Supposes" or Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell performing "Begin the Beguine". It is a different style of tap today and no, I don't enjoy that nearly as much as the tap performed in the old classic movies. Sigh.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 3

So much cannon fodder. I always felt kind of ripped off with the seasons that only had a Top 10, but this year I almost feel like it's gonna be a struggle to come up with a Top 20 based on what they've shown us thus far.

• Love 2

Melany and Andrew were a little too messy for me. Her assisted fouettes were technically not very good and then despite Nigel's comment about how he would have been off balance after the pot stirrer turns, she was falling out by the end. She saved it when she stepped out and kept going but she was clearly not centered.

I love that Randorn/Tiger uses math and science when teaching dance. Usually when people describe themselves as positive, I take that with a grain of salt, but he really does seem like a positive person based on his interview and his dancing. I was annoyed when Nigel said he didn't know if he could do other styles. There was nothing in his audition (like bad technique) that would indicate he would not do well at other styles, so Nigel was just basing that assumption on the fact that he's a b boy? First of all, that's dumb. Secondly, that's what the point of the academy is - that's when you get to see if these dancers can do other styles besides their audition piece.

Mika's choreography did not contain a lot of dance elements, but what really worked against her was that the judges didn't like her spoken word musical choice, which is stupid because rapping is just rhythmic speaking and singing is just elongated speaking. It was really obvious that Nigel only put her through because of her brain surgery story.

I love that Kory's inspiration/goal is Broadway AND to meet Cat. I gave him points for choosing to choreograph to accent the music rather than packing his routine with trick after trick. His leaps were good - he had height and flexibility so this wasn't a total joke audition. I had to laugh when Nigel said that Broadway is not over the top. When was the last time he saw a Broadway show with a lot of subtlety?

Ryan had a really great audition piece. His dance skills were great but his performance skills were just as good (which is not always the case with dancers, regardless of the style they're doing). And I'm all for any contestant who gives tWitch a reason to get onstage and dance!

When Nigel said that Bridget was going to give him nightmares, I just rolled my eyes because if you had post-production digitally alter her from the neck up so that she had long blonde hair and she smiled the entire time, he would have been falling all over himself to compliment her. For that reason, I was glad that he followed up his comment with "in a good way." I didn't find her dancing dark or creepy. If you take away the eyeliner and the dark lipstick and just watch the actual dancing, there were only a few seconds where she did anything that was not just regular old contemporary (and heck, some of the "creepy" moments would be construed as regular "intense emotional" contemporary moves).

More lame comments from Nigel: "I take it you're not going to do pointe work because you're wearing tap shoes." NO SHIT. After that absurdly stupid comment, I was hoping that she would be super awesome, but she was just okay. I am not a tap expert (I took tap very briefly as a kid and quit because it didn't hold my interest so my tap knowledge is admittedly very limited and I might just be missing the subtlety/awesomeness of her performance), but there was nothing in that choreography/performance that made me think YES, THIS IS GREAT!

Arcadian Broad was so confusing to me. He had these moments where he showed he had some skill and then he had a lot of things that seemed very amateur like an awkward position of his hands. really visibly winding up before turning, sickling his feet, not pointing his toes in a leap, traveling while doing fouettes, etc.

• Love 6

Another mixed bag for us.  I love Broadway, so I enjoyed the Broadway kid.  His routine seemed very "Broadway" to me.  Maybe a bit over the top in places, but I liked the way he moved and thought he showed enough promise to be put through.  I suspect (and I admit it's not based on much) is that he was simply too "gay" for Nigel to be comfortable with.  We were totally uninterested in the brain-surgery girl or the creepy girl.  Couldn't believe they went through.  We loved the last guy - he was really interesting and fun.  And we enjoyed the salsa couple.  We didn't think this week's tapper was as good as last week's tapper, though.  But tap seems hit-or-miss to me.  Sometimes I'll love it and sometimes not so much.  

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Arcadian Broad was so confusing to me. He had these moments where he showed he had some skill and then he had a lot of things that seemed very amateur like an awkward position of his hands. really visibly winding up before turning, sickling his feet, not pointing his toes in a leap, traveling while doing fouettes, etc.

I didn't pay attention to all this, but I did see a solo a while back and googled him, and apparently he's in the Orlando ballet? So why is he here LOL

Edited by displayname

I had to laugh when Nigel said that Broadway is not over the top. When was the last time he saw a Broadway show with a lot of subtlety?

NIGEL SAYS:  "Broadway is not over the top"

NIGEL MEANS:  "You are too gay"

Arcadian (cool name) was no Cheon, that's for sure.  And the 1972 audition outfit was weird.

Black Lipstick Chick is sooo hard and edgy.  I love the way these Goth types think they are so original and dark. It's been going on since 1978 or so, I think it's a bit mainstream by now.  I suppose we can just be happy she didn't feel compelled to wear torn black fishnets.

• Love 15

I thought Nigel was incredibly harsh to the Broadway kid. I could see how the kid was a little too raw to make it through on this show, but he obviously has some skills, and showed respect to traditional Broadway choreography. For Nigel to disagree with tWitch that he was a corps-style dancer, and that Broadway style is over the top (srsly?!?) was ridiculous. And THEN, on top of that, he grumbled "He's 27 years old; he's going nowhere." Daaaaamn. I thought this show was supposed to be about supporting people to follow their dreams. 

The Goth-type dancer was fine, but she sure talked a lot about how dark and edgy she is. Which to me is always a sign that someone is neither. 

I think we say every year that the auditions are weak, and I don't necessarily agree with that. I do think, though, that when tWitch got up there, he blew most of the hip-hop auditioners out of the water within just a few seconds. The man has IT.

• Love 20
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Iseut said:

The Goth-type dancer was fine, but she sure talked a lot about how dark and edgy she is. Which to me is always a sign that someone is neither. 

Yeah. 

2 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

Displayname you are suffering from a disease called C.O (Contemporary Overload).  Every time another 18 year old in a bikini top and boy shorts steps up and chirps, "I'm a contemporary dancer!!" another little part of me dies.

But even the street ballroom dance (was that salsa? Haven't watched the episode at all!) was pretty meh. And the tapper.

Edited by displayname
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Iseut said:

I thought Nigel was incredibly harsh to the Broadway kid. I could see how the kid was a little too raw to make it through on this show, but he obviously has some skills, and showed respect to traditional Broadway choreography. For Nigel to disagree with tWitch that he was a corps-style dancer, and that Broadway style is over the top (srsly?!?) was ridiculous. And THEN, on top of that, he grumbled "He's 27 years old; he's going nowhere." Daaaaamn. I thought this show was supposed to be about supporting people to follow their dreams. 

And I think this is exactly why I got the impression that the guy was a bit "too gay" for Nigel.  This show has always been about supporting and encouraging.  Even when dancers are just plain bad, I don't remember anyone being that just outright nasty and cruel.  If that guy watches the show, he's going to hear what Nigel said and may be crushed.  Nigel's reaction was just disproportionately negative to what the guy did in his audition.  Nigel may not have liked the choreography, but the kid had some skills.  He moved very fluidly, showed personality, and his leaps were good.  To listen to Nigel, you'd think this kid was Sex levels of bad.

• Love 15
(edited)

I don't recall seeing any contemporary guys...just the jazz guy from LA and Arcadian with ballet.  It will be interesting to see what pops up at the academy

Edited by pally
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, LadyMustang65 said:

And I think this is exactly why I got the impression that the guy was a bit "too gay" for Nigel.  This show has always been about supporting and encouraging.  Even when dancers are just plain bad, I don't remember anyone being that just outright nasty and cruel.  If that guy watches the show, he's going to hear what Nigel said and may be crushed.  Nigel's reaction was just disproportionately negative to what the guy did in his audition.  Nigel may not have liked the choreography, but the kid had some skills.  He moved very fluidly, showed personality, and his leaps were good.  To listen to Nigel, you'd think this kid was Sex levels of bad.

Exactly, plus Nigel seemed more tolerant of that buffoon and allowed him airtime over a course of several seasons auditions, then of this guy.  Dude, if you read these forums, please disregard Nigel's ridiculous comments.  You may not be ready for this show, but you have skill and talent, so please focus on that.

• Love 10

I absolutely agree that Broadway guy should have gone to the academy. Way more so than many of the run of the mill contemporary girls we've seen get tickets. That hot mess from last week being target number one. 

• Love 13

There were a couple of dancers I enjoyed in this episode, especially Ryan Green.  That was so much fun to watch!  I hope he does well with choreography and other styles.  Yes, and more Twitch, please.  Can't the show throw us a bone and make him a regular judge?  Everything's better with Twitch.

I also enjoyed Bridget Derville-Teer, surprisingly.  Once she got past the posing and strength moves and got into the dancing (about the 30 second mark in the video above), her musicality and near-perfect timing really impressed me.  I suspect she'll exceed expectations as the show progresses.   

Arcadian Broad was massively overhyped.  He made me miss the great ballet contestants on this show, like Danny Tidwell and Chehon.  It doesn't look as though we'll get anything like them this season. 

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, displayname said:

I didn't pay attention to all this, but I did see a solo a while back and googled him, and apparently he's in the Orlando ballet? So why is he here LOL

A good chunk of his intro package was about how he joined the Orlando Ballet at 16 and was the youngest something or other at the company (paid dancer maybe? As opposed to a student). They also interviewed someone at Orlando Ballet (the director?) who said this guy is one of the most talented company members ever. 

Other dancers with ballet companies have auditioned for the show before (Alex Wong was with Miami Ballet, Jim Nowakowski was with Houston Ballet). Being in a company isn’t a lot of money unless you’re a marquee level principal and it doesn’t get you much name recognition, but being on SYTYCD offers the possibility of $100K if you win and enough name recognition (even if you don’t win) to get top salary for teaching at conventions.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

A good chunk of his intro package was about how he joined the Orlando Ballet at 16 and was the youngest something or other at the company (paid dancer maybe? As opposed to a student). They also interviewed someone at Orlando Ballet (the director?) who said this guy is one of the most talented company members ever. 

But you noticed flaws... :P

3 minutes ago, displayname said:

But you noticed flaws... :P

I definitely noticed a lot of technical issues that you would think a professional ballet dancer wouldn’t have, but that doesn’t negate the fact that someone still liked him enough to hire him. According to his Orlando Ballet bio, he’s been with the company since 2011 (and they let him choreograph a full length ballet for the company in 2016!).

• Love 2

I did love how the emo goth wannabe talked about being out there and different from other dancers and then went out and did the same flaily crap that all contemporary dancers do.  And I loved how she thought she was so scary and dark because she has eye liner on and dipped her hair in black ink!!  That was awesome.  18 year olds are so stupid and entertaining, it kills me.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, hula-la said:

Maybe it's the teacher in me, but it was rather rude of Nigel to insult Kory's goal of dancing on Broadway. 

What was truly horrible is the discussion they had after he left... that TPTB thought necessary to broadcast.

• Love 16

Tap gal was very clean and controlled which I very much appreciate but I would have liked a little more flair.

Ballet boy - I'm no expert but I found myself thinking his arms/hands lacked commitment, if that makes any sense.

I was expecting more from would-be Broadway guy. It seemed more high school than Broadway to me. YMMV.

• Love 2

If you are a reality tv obsessive like yours truly, you might remember Arcadian Broad from the 4th season of America's Got Talent when he was like 10 or 11 years old. He basically tried to throw the producers under the bus when his live performance flopped big time. I remember some posters on the old TWOP boards making jokes that he ended his television dance career right then and there....apparently not thanks to SYTYCD lol.

I was very confused by the salsa dancers. I really thought for the first thirty seconds, they were some sort of weird joke audition. It looked so slow and amateur (especially her) when they were dancing side by side. Now when they finally got into the one big trick and the never ending pot twirlers.....okay, I guess they were good enough to barely slide into the Academy...but not standing ovation worthy. Not even close.

Tiger was cool, and such a genuinely positive personality. Although his treatment does make me wonder if (because of the no choreo round) we've been deprived seeing some of the niche dance style auditions this season because they pulled the "I'm worried about you in other styles" garbage and they've been given no's after quality audition pieces....which means no airtime for them and us then.

Count me as a tap fan, but a tap fan who leans in a little more to the Savion Glover style...super athletic, no musical accompaniment really necessary. Now one of my favorite auditions ever was Alexis Juliano's tap solo to Mr. BoJangles which is almost the polar opposite of that. So it can be done, but more often than not it feels like the tapping and the music don't really seem like they are in harmony. I felt the same about the one male tap guy we've already seen, and I feel that way to a lesser degree about Brianna's routine.

• Love 1
(edited)

First of all, thanks to ElectricBoogaloo for posting the videos, and also for the dance-background commentary (and you others--realdancemom, anothermi, crowceildh and others).  I truly appreciate reading the insightful comments.

I always wonder about the info they have on these dancers beforehand.  Pre-knowledge certainly colors how the judges view the auditions.  For example, from my (non dancer) perspective, Kory the Broadway kid looked like he had pretty good technique, but crummy choreo (that he probably did himself).  So I got the impression that he's not associated with a big-name studio, doesn't have anyone advocating for him, so Nigel felt free to poop all over him.  I was likewise surprised that Tiger didn't get through.  I don't love the b-boy stuff, but his audition really looked "tight" to me (I think the judges called it "clean").  

For Arcadian, I got the feeling that he just couldn't mix the contemporary and the ballet very well (yes I know contemporary comes from ballet).  For example, he would be doing some bendy contemporary-type move, but his arms would be out in what I think of as a ballet position.  It's like he couldn't commit fully to the parts that weren't strictly classical ballet.

Edited by Cuatro1234
adding more dance folks to thank. Although I'm leaving out plenty I know
  • Love 6
On 6/25/2018 at 9:08 PM, kb3 said:

Disappointed in the judges that they couldn't appreciate the spoken word of Shane Koyczan and referred to it as a song. Wonder how Travis Wall would have reacted to that audition.

Nigel has previously been unable to appreciate auditions to spoken word. Will Wingfield (S04) auditioned with one. Nigel felt it didn't show his range, only that he was "clever".

On the other hand, Mary was moved by Will's spoken word dance, as was Mia (unsurprisingly).

Mary didn't get Mika's dance this episode. I think it might be fair to assume that given her age (18) and the challenges she faces every year; and her late starting, continually interrupted training, that she doesn't have the skills to present a viewer friendly dance. The judges kept wondering what the connection was between what she was doing and the spoken lyrics. I saw her being personal and showing the impact on herself, as an individual, of the behaviour being described.

Will was just 21 - not a lot older - but he had already been a professional dancer for a number of years at his audition. Perhaps that was why Mary got his dance?  Having said all that, I think Mika is another one who won't make it through the Academy.

23 hours ago, Iseut said:

On 6/26/2018 at 9:28 AM, hula-la said:

Maybe it's the teacher in me, but it was rather rude of Nigel to insult Kory's goal of dancing on Broadway. His actual technique was pretty good. He had great height in his jumps, good musicality, and most importantly, was fun to watch. At his age, he may not fulfill his dream of Broadway, but he could totally rock local theatre productions of Broadway musicals. There's no shame in that game, and nothing to be laughed at.

17 hours ago, Mason said:

What was truly horrible is the discussion they had after he left... that TPTB thought necessary to broadcast.

This whole segment broke the 4th wall for me (so to speak) in that it clearly showed that the judging panel (or at least Nigel) knows a lot more about each dancer who gets to audition in front of them than they usually let on.

Nigel was shown displaying an attitude about the Broadway guy as soon as he walked on stage. He turned to Vanessa with what I saw as a smirk and said "uh oh" and she grinned back at him.  IIRC all auditioners have to be pre-interviewed by staffers (somebody working for the show at least) so production can pick and choose who will make it to the televised portion). This was the 1st time I realized that someone was "known" enough by Nigel for him to have that kind of attitude before he even started dancing. That was probably true of "Sex", but all I remember was a big grin on Nigel's face. Sex was (literally) self-explanatory. 

What was odd about this guy is that the back-stage feeling (gleaned by production and communicated to the judges) seemed to be out of sync with the footage that they showed of him. Sure, he was likely delusional about his chances of making Broadway, but he seemed like a nice, genuine guy. It felt like watching the cool kids making fun of the not-cool kids. Twitch and Mary did not appear to buy into that narrative, thank goodness.

• Love 11

That was probably true of "Sex", but all I remember was a big grin on Nigel's face. Sex was (literally) self-explanatory.

Can we have a sub-thread just to discuss Sex, and his Mother, in all their glory??

Mr.Broad on AGT many moons ago 

He was rockin' the 70's outfits even back then!!

Late to comment but agree with a lot that has been written already.

Thanks ketchuplover for the clip on Arcadian Broad on AGT.  I will need to watch it later.  As somebody else mentioned, there were parts that were really good but then there were flaws that were surprising for somebody that is in a ballet company.  If he's been at Orlando Ballet since 2011 and he was 16, I'm guessing that he was an apprentice and slowly made it up the ranks to finally be in the professional company.  Maybe, he's still in the lower prof. company.  I'm too lazy to check.  Nigel is right that he needs to work on his performance quality.  Technique wise even with the flaws, he's better than a lot of contemporary dancers that made it to the Academy so far.  We didn't see any other male ballet dancers this season but he's nowhere near the likes of Danny, Alex, Jim, Chehon, etc.  I agree that he's on this show for the same reasons as the others.  He wants to explore other dance styles and get more exposure besides the ballet company.

Nigel was a jerk to the Broadway guy.  Yes, he's not ready for the show but no need to say all that stuff at the end of his audition.  Also, I've never heard Nigel say not to be too cheesy or literal in Broadway before.  So maybe it is code for you dance too gay for me.

Also, when Nigel questioned the ability of the B-Boy to do other styles, it made me want to scream and say, "That's why you shouldn't have gotten rid of the choreography round.".

Ryan Green was mesmerizing.  He's the only one that really stood out to me.  Don't know if he can do other styles but he's a great performer.  I usually don't like the bone breaking guys but the way he put it together with the rest of his routine made me want to keep watching it.  It's because he had a nice mix of different styles of hip-hop.  It's also because of the way he used the music and performed.

Nigel and company definitely have bios on the dancers.  Also, the dancers have to go through two rounds before they audition in front of the judges.  Sometimes a judge doesn't have a bio on a dancer, e.g. you're partnering somebody that is auditioning.   It also helps where you danced, who you know, etc.  A lot of the kids are studio dancers that did competitions.  If you won in the big National ones like NYCDA, you have a leg up.  

• Love 3
On 6/27/2018 at 10:40 PM, ketchuplover said:

Mr.Broad on AGT many moons ago 

You're all welcome

I don't think I'll be holding this against him if he makes it to the live shows.  He was what...12?  There's a big difference between 12 year-olds and 22 year-olds in maturity level (hopefully).  I do, however, reserve the right to reverse my opinion if he shows his ass on this show.

That said, I'm glad the auditions are over, and I'm really glad they didn't go on too long (most other shows could stand to shorten their audition rounds).  I'm looking forward to the Academy starting on Monday.

I love Ryan Green.  And that smile...*swoon.*  

Uptown Funk is an interesting choice for a hip-hop battle, however.  But.  It got tWitch on stage and for that I am always grateful.

I am really upset about the broadway dancer who was 27. He had great potential and technique. Way better than a lot of the younger hip hop dancers. Vanessa said that he was on his way, and Nigel said, the only place he was heading was to the door because he was 27. Talk about discrimination. You can't discount a dancer because of their age. I have lost some respect for this show. 

• Love 2

Add me to the list: watching Nikes diss the Broadway dancer was the first time I've seriously considered dropping this show. There was no call to say that behind his back on national television. What a bunch of cowardly assholes.

• Love 1