Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Desserts

• Start Topic

The bakers face three challenges, all designed for a sweet tooth.

Starting off with a tempting array of decadently rich tortes, the bakers then face the technical challenge. This time it is a mainstay of French baking, the crème caramel, and for some there is more wobble than expected.

Proceedings are rounded off with a mammoth six-hour challenge to produce a mighty showstopping layered meringue. But who will claim the accolade of Star Baker and who will hang up their apron for the last time?

Stuart has been circling the drain, so I'm not surprised he's been eliminated. I really like Brendon (or is it Brandon?) so I'm rooting for him.

• Love 8

Those caramel custard things look like a nightmare to make. But I hate creme brulee so it's not something I'd try anyway.

Several of them had a pretty bad weekend but Stuart was the winner (loser?) of the biggest fails.  Wasn't surprised he got booted but I think he was neck-and-neck with the other guy - Ryan?  I wish they wore aprons with their names on like they did on the Canadian version.  Made it so much easier to learn their names.

I like Brendan as well.  

I like the new hairstyle on the mom.  Can't remember her name either!

Ryan is the man with Asian heritage who has the absolutely adorable little girl who he bakes with at home. She is soooo cute!

Yay for Brendon! Although I did agree with Paul and Mary about the dated decoration on his torte—very shag carpeting. He stepped it up on the showstopper, though. I think he is smart enough to realize that he will have to step up his game on that end in future weekends in the tent. 

I am also getting to really like Danny, too. Looks like her potato torte was successful, not jammy jacket potatoes. 

• Love 3

I think the caramel custard is the same thing as what we call flan here in the southwest US. Quite a common menu item in the restaurants around here. Never made one myself but am tempted to try now.

• Love 3

I'm honestly surprised Stuart even lasted this long. He seemed to put so much pressure on himself to be the best that it was like a self-sabotage. I like Danny though, I think she's been going unnoticed.

It obviously didn't hurt his winning Star Baker but I had to agree with the judges that Brendan's signature bake looked old fashioned. There's an old picture of me at my grandparents' house when I was a baby and their kitchen was the colors on Brendan's cake.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

the absolutely adorable little girl

She is the cutest!

2 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I am also getting to really like Danny, too. Looks like her potato torte was successful, not jammy jacket potatoes. 

Is potato bread not a thing in the UK? I was a bit surprised that Paul and Mary seemed unfamiliar with potato flour, or maybe it was just that Danny was using it in a dessert.

1 minute ago, Winter Rose said:

I had to agree with the judges that Brendan's signature bake looked old fashioned.

I thought he overdecorated with the tangerine slices. The bake would have looked cleaner if he'd been more sparing. But I like that he accepted the criticism gracefully and course-corrected in the showstopper.

Stuart was the obvious person to leave this week, though he had some competition.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

was a bit surprised that Paul and Mary seemed unfamiliar with potato flour, or

Paul was familiar with it he just said he avoids using it because the startch content is too high.

etb I am an idiot.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Paul was familiar with it he just said he avoids using it because the gluten content is too high. 

I think that it's the starch that is too high.  I was surprised that after all that worrying about the potato flour the judges didn't even remark on it when they tasted it. It was a few bakers later that I realized they'd already judged that one.

(edited)
5 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I think that it's the starch that is too high.  I was surprised that after all that worrying about the potato flour the judges didn't even remark on it when they tasted it. It was a few bakers later that I realized they'd already judged that one.

Duh, that’s what I meant to type! Since Potato flour is gluten free! Thanks, I will correct.

Edited by biakbiak
15 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I also noticed that Sue didn't tell the bakers—oncamera, at least—how much time they had for the showstopper.

Since the narrator mentioned that meringue takes an hour to bake and at least 2 hours to cool, I assumed they had 5 hours (allowing time to make the meringue & to decorate it--4 hours would be cutting it a little close).

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:
3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

the absolutely adorable little girl

She is the cutest!

I've never been much of a kid person, but even I have to admit that the clips of the little kids enjoying the home bakes have been adorable this season! 

I think it was a clip of the stay at home mom (sorry - I'm terrible with names too!) in this episode that showed her little boy saying that his mum's cakes were amazing! Awww! So nice that she has such a great little fan at home! :)

I just love watching this show! It makes me feel genuinely good about people like few other shows do.

• Love 5

But what about Monisha's brothers - gainfully eating away at something they don't even like?  Are we so ageist that we only like the cute little children? :-)

I loved that Stuart had figured out that he only had to beat Monisha to stay in.  They were definitely circling the drain together, but she managed to pull it off.  And hurray for Brendan!

Now that it's years later, what was really wrong with Mel?

• Love 1

This is the second week in a row where it felt super obvious who would be going and who would be star baker before they made the announcement.

John stressing out was kind of adorable. He looked ready to cry at one point. I think he and James are my favorites. I'm glad Stuart left-- he was getting annoying. And his wedding cake looked very plain (though huge) in that photo!

Quick cheat page for remembering names: https://www.pbs.org/show/great-british-baking-show/extras/

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Not ageist, but the feminist in me did come out when they said Monisha rushes home from her job every day to cook all the meals for her father and brothers.  All of whom looked quite capable of picking up a damn pan and learning to cook for themselves.

I had very much the same thought. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

Now that it's years later, what was really wrong with Mel?

Wrong? They've both missed the occasional week (never at the same time) over the years, and I always assume it's a conflicting gig that weekend. Though kind of a double-act, they have separate careers as well; no doubt all this is settled when the contracts for the season are drawn up, and the producers can live with it as long as someone's there to host and it doesn't happen often.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I wonder if Manisha doing all of the cooking is a cultural thing.  I don't want to make assumptions on her religion but that might be a possibility.

Yes, I am guessing it could be a cultural thing.

Stuart was very lucky to have lasted to this episode. Indeed I would have been upset had Manisha gone home instead.

• Love 2

Brendan really hits a soft spot in my heart. It seems like he finds such joy in baking, and holds himself to high standards while being open about how he is still learning and can do better. It’s quite charming.

Sarah-Jane continues to delight, and I also like Cathryn as well. Two mums who seem like they’d be fun to have a Pimms with.

Finally, and I say this with love, Free Manisha. (Though I admire her little bit of rebellion in making chocolate even though her brothers don’t like it.)

• Love 12
37 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

What are these?  It must be a British thing.

A jacket potato is just what we call a baked potato so I assume the poster meant it didn’t taste like a sweet/jammy baked potato.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

Brendan really hits a soft spot in my heart. It seems like he finds such joy in baking, and holds himself to high standards while being open about how he is still learning and can do better. It’s quite charming.

There is something so charming about Brendan. He is so genuinely pleased when he gets complemented on his bakes, but also seems to take the criticisms as they are meant, as something to work on. He is my favorite this season, with James and John (the two younger guys). I actually really enjoy all the bakers this season. Stuart was probably my least favorite, mainly because he seems more competitive (probably from being in sports) and was a bit more intense then one should be while baking in a tent in the beautiful British countryside. 

• Love 12

I wondered about the rain/humidity in the tent for the meringue bake. Seems like that could have been an issue but nothing was said about it that I heard. I would have thought the bakers needed extra drying time on a rainy day.

• Love 7

I made the flan. Big cracks across the top and pockmarked on the sides. However, my caramel was a nice dark color. So I may not have come in last, but definitely down near the bottom. :) Good choice for a technical bake.

• Love 11

This was one of my favorite episodes - mainly because I've developed quite a sweet tooth as I've gotten older, and all of the signature/showstoppers looked absolutely wonderful.  I assume there is a spot that has the recipes, because I'd especially like to try that green tea cake.  I thought Sue by herself was great, especially her eating the "spares."  I almost wish they would show less baking and more judging/discussing.  I liked that this episode seemed to have more baking info and less contestant home life (for me, just a little of that goes a long way). 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 9:54 AM, jenh526 said:

I think the caramel custard is the same thing as what we call flan here in the southwest US. Quite a common menu item in the restaurants around here. Never made one myself but am tempted to try now.

My mom used to make a killer flan! 

• Love 1
On 7/7/2018 at 1:09 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

This is the second week in a row where it felt super obvious who would be going and who would be star baker before they made the announcement.

John stressing out was kind of adorable. He looked ready to cry at one point. I think he and James are my favorites. I'm glad Stuart left-- he was getting annoying. And his wedding cake looked very plain (though huge) in that photo!

Quick cheat page for remembering names: https://www.pbs.org/show/great-british-baking-show/extras/

"And his wedding cake looked very plain (though huge) in that photo"

While this season was taped years ago, Many of my wedding cakes are very simple this year. They either like just the ribbon & a topper, or the fluted look(very popular for showers as well) with a topper.  They're more concerned with the taste, or should I say the eating of the cake :).

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, luvapickle said:

They're more concerned with the taste, or should I say the eating of the cake :)

Definitely my priority!  Some of those things covered in all kinds of fondant have no taste a tall.  Fondant - yuck!

• Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, dleighg said:

In the US, we have "potato starch" (which is what I think they were using here) and "potato flour" (which is basically ground up, dehydrated instant potato). The former is used a LOT in Passover baked goods (or, at least, the ones that don't have matzo meal or "Passover" flour) and you don't taste the potato at all. It's rather devoid of nutrition, but that's true of a lot of gluten free flours.

I, too, wondered about Manisha needing to feed and care for her dad and older brothers!  

Ryan is so scattered and disorganized but his daughter sure is adorable!

this episode inspired me to make custard with our excess eggs and it turned out marvelously! 

I like Danny FTW, with Carolyn and Sarah Jane up there too!  

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 6:19 PM, magdalene said:

Yes, I am guessing it could be a cultural thing.

Stuart was very lucky to have lasted to this episode. Indeed I would have been upset had Manisha gone home instead.

I would rather have seen Manisha gone, but she did do just enough to save herself.  Stuart, on the other hand, had a total disaster of a weekend.

On 7/7/2018 at 3:49 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Not ageist, but the feminist in me did come out when they said Monisha rushes home from her job every day to cook all the meals for her father and brothers.  All of whom looked quite capable of picking up a damn pan and learning to cook for themselves.

I like Brendan, too.  I always like the older men who have done something else their whole lives and are now discovering (or able to fulfill) a passion for baking.

OMG, yes. Both mentions of Manisha running home every day after work to cook for and serve the ADULT males in her family prompted pointed commentary from me to my two sons (ages 12 and 7). 

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 7
On 7/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, springbarb said:

I liked the little "at home" clip of Brendan going over to his neighbor's house and handing them a cake...then leaving. That's #lifegoals right there to have a neighbor show up, hand me a cake, then leave.

Heh, that's me with my favorite neighbor--except my offerings are more of the muffins, cookies, and slabs-of-birthday-cake-I-just made-for-kids variety. Also, I am far less charming and impecabbly dressed than Brandon as I shamble over the hedge in my sweats. I'm nowhere near bake-off caliber skills, but the kids get to choose any cake they want from TV, the internet, or whichever cookbooks/magazines I have lying around, and I WILL (with the exception of ice cream cake) make it. Upcoming this year: Washington Cream Pie (actually a cake) from America's Test Kitchen Great American Cakes mag for the older one; and a cake "that looks like a 2x2 Lego brick" for the little one. As for my neighbor, he returns the favor by giving me stuff from his garden and letting the kids play with his dog and helping me carry heavy things into the house. IOW, by being neighborly. :)

We're farther ahead now with the episodes (yay, Passport!), but yeah, I was ready to see Stuart go a while before this. He got off easy in prior episodes by failing just marginally less than other contestants.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 4