Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Tarts

• Start Topic

Things are hotting up in the Bake Off tent as the remaining ten bakers do their best to wow Paul Hollywood and Mary Berry with some unusual flavour combinations for their tartes tatin.

Baking know-how is the all important ingredient for coming through the technical challenge unscathed. Mary's treacle tart seems simple enough, but its lattice top proves to be the undoing of some of the bakers.

So the pressure is on - a showstopping tart is no easy task when baked under the gaze of Paul and Mary, but it is the bakers' best chance to achieve the accolade of Star Baker, and more importantly to avoid going home.

(edited)

Treacle tarts sound kind of gross. Bread crumbs as a filling for pastry? I don't care what you flavor it with, it doesn't sound appetizing.

James is giving me season 7 Andrew vibes. Very adorkable!

Meanwhile, Victoria totally reminds me of an older Sister Winifred from Call the Midwife.

Edited by dargosmydaddy
Because Andrew was season 7, not 6...
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Treacle tarts sound kind of gross. Bread crumbs as a filling for pastry? I don't care what you flavor it with, it doesn't sound appetizing.

Treacle tarts are in somewhat the same family as American pecan pie, without the nuts. It's that sort of sweet thick filling, and the bread crumbs essentially disappear, having fulfilled their mission in thickening the filling.

One bit of transatlantic translation, which was probably obvious in context: When Sue referred to James's "tank tops," they're what would be called sweater vests in the US. I don't know why such a relatively recently coined term should have so diverged.

• Love 7
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

One bit of transatlantic translation, which was probably obvious in context: When Sue referred to James's "tank tops," they're what would be called sweater vests in the US. I don't know why such a relatively recently coined term should have so diverged.

When Sue said "tank top" I thought , "who's wearing a tank top?  I didn't notice that."  Then, like you say, I figured it out when I saw what James was wearing.  What has always seemed strange to me is they call a sweater a "jumper". How did that happen?

I know this is an early season that we're seeing 6 years after the fact, but I found an entire episode of tarts kind of boring, something I've never said about this show before. If this is meant to be pastry week I'd prefer a little variety.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

I've been looking forward to a new episode all week as an escape mechanism from the hellscape outside. This one didn't disappoint - it's just always so light and fun and good hearted, no matter the bakes or themes.

Admittedly I was not expecting Stuart and Manisha to bounce back as they did, so to see Victoria go was a bit of a shocker. I'm just glad my dear, sweet Sarah-Jane lives another week and that James/John, who more often than not seem like the same person, are continuing to thrive. 

• Love 15
(edited)

I wasn't surprised to see Victoria get eliminated, she started out really strong, but she's been struggling the past two weeks. 

I guess the show stoppers aren't going to be as showstoppy as they are in the next seasons, I wonder how that changed, was it the contestants trying to go bigger, or did the show tell the contestants to get bigger with their bakes?

I'm going to put this in spoiler tags, because it's something that Paul says in a future season, even though technically, it's already happened. **WARNING, POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR THIS SEASON**

Spoiler

I remember Paul talking about how the winner of bread week has always won in the past (but it didn't happen in that future season), so now I keep watching the guy who won bread week (whose name I can't remember) & wondering if he's the winner.

Edited by GaT

Hey treacle tarts! Harry Potter loves those! And honestly, if you buy a pie crust and forego the lattice, it seems like it would only take 5 minutes to make one. Bread seems like a cheat but all the recipes I found call for it. Totally making this next time I'm in need of a pie, or for my next Harry Potter themed party.

Victoria was such a graceful loser! So much so that I feel rotten calling her a loser. It was clear she was gone, she knew it, and was perfectly content with the decision. She made some very interesting baking decisions this week but they just didn't pan out.

Some of those showstoppers really were perfect patisserie window displays. Wow.

• Love 14
9 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Treacle tarts are in somewhat the same family as American pecan pie, without the nuts. It's that sort of sweet thick filling, and the bread crumbs essentially disappear, having fulfilled their mission in thickening the filling.

Reminds me of chess pie, which is a forerunner to pecan pie. I think it uses cornmeal instead of breadcrumbs as a thickener. Then there's that mock apple pie made with Ritz crackers instead of apples that barely qualifies as food anyway (ugh). Sorry I mentioned it!

Poor Victoria had a bad week, but I don't think that makes her -- or any of the others -- a "loser" just a non-winner. I'm so glad we're getting this old season, even if it seems dated in comparison. I think the popularity of the show attracted better bakers and created a higher level of competition.

• Love 9

I had a Scottish colleague at work who once complimented me on my tank top, and after I regained my composure (I'm neither the personality nor the physique to wear such a thing to teach in), we figured it out and both wondered how usage could have diverged so radically in a short time.

8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

What has always seemed strange to me is they call a sweater a "jumper". How did that happen?

This, on the other hand, is the sort of difference that makes sense to me. Those things have been knitted for a long time, centuries probably, and neither term makes much literal sense (it's designed neither to jump in nor to sweat in). Without looking it up, I would suppose "jumper" to be the older usage by virtue of belonging to the older country. But if my reading is any indication, it's losing ground and British people sometimes say "sweater" (that international mass communication again). I occasionally see it that way in British books that I know haven't be re-edited by US publishers.

@GaT, I don't remember what happened either, but that seems potentially like more of a spoiler for this season than your gentle disclaimer would indicate? Some people might regret reading it, I suspect.

Everyone on the series has seemed to accept elimination gracefully, and some outstandingly so (saying "it's a fair cop" or "if it had been anyone else, I would have stood up and objected"), but I agree with @ae2 that Victoria is memorable even in that company ("I offer no defense, m'lud").

I enjoy seeing James win Star Baker, not only because he deserves it but because he reacts much as I think I would -- with nervous but appreciative laughter, as if he's not quite sure what to do in this situation. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ae2 said:

Hey treacle tarts! Harry Potter loves those! And honestly, if you buy a pie crust and forego the lattice, it seems like it would only take 5 minutes to make one. Bread seems like a cheat but all the recipes I found call for it. Totally making this next time I'm in need of a pie, or for my next Harry Potter themed party.

Please PM my invitation.  Total HP geek here.

• Love 4

I was sorry to see Victoria struggle so much when she started off so well. But unfortunately she did have the worst week, I don't think the technical was enough of a boost when they said everyone was really close. Though I wouldn't have minded seeing Brendan go, I'm sorry but I sense a coldness or a bitterness from him.

Even though the showstoppers aren't going to be as elaborate as future seasons, I enjoy just seeing a nice looking bake. I thought a lot of those tarts were pretty. James certainly deserved his Star Baker. I really don't think anyone else was in the running, even though they usually say a few names. He was on top the whole time.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Everyone on the series has seemed to accept elimination gracefully, and some outstandingly so (saying "it's a fair cop" or "if it had been anyone else, I would have stood up and objected"), but I agree with @ae2 that Victoria is memorable even in that company ("I offer no defense, m'lud").

I enjoy seeing James win Star Baker, not only because he deserves it but because he reacts much as I think I would -- with nervous but appreciative laughter, as if he's not quite sure what to do in this situation. 

This is what sets this show apart. The winners always seem more appreciative than cocky about it and the ones who have to leave never really seem that surprised and accept that they had a bad week. I assume it's because the prize isn't some life changing amount of money so these people truly are here because of their love of baking and for the experience. It's refreshing. 

I am feeling that the bakes are simpler, this being an older season, so it's a bit disorienting seeing them out of order. 

I wasn't wowed by any of the bakes, but I still enjoyed the show. It's just so...cozy. At the end of a rough week, and this one was particularly bad, it is nice to see some civility and just happy people doing what they love in a pretty setting. 

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I don't remember what happened either, but that seems potentially like more of a spoiler for this season than your gentle disclaimer would indicate? Some people might regret reading it, I suspect.

I added an additional warning just in case :-)

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I know this is an early season that we're seeing 6 years after the fact, but I found an entire episode of tarts kind of boring, something I've never said about this show before. If this is meant to be pastry week I'd prefer a little variety.

This season so far has been pretty one-note, IMO. There hasn't been much variety in any of the first three eps, especially in the showstopper categories.

I don't think any of the eliminated bakers were wrongly let go, especially because it doesn't seem as if anything has been super complicated. In some ways that makes the bakes more difficult, as you can't dazzle Paul and Mary with bells and whistles, as there aren't any.

At least the producers course-corrected the level of difficulty/variety in the later seasons. It does make this a bit more boring to watch, when compared to others. 

It is a bit disappointing to go back to earlier seasons and they certainly have changed things up a bit in terms of bakes. But the contestants do seem like such nice people and that seems to stay the same!  It's a great go-to program when I need a good soothing hour.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I thought that Paul's statement was 

Reveal hidden contents

the winner of Bread Week had always (to that point) made the finals, not necessarily won it all.

I thought it was what I originally said, but you could be right & I just can't remember. I tried to find a clip of it, but a lot of stuff was coming up for shows I haven't seen yet, & I didn't want to accidentally spoil myself. 

16 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I took it as a Sue attempt to be humorous, not a difference in usage.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I took it ["tank top"] as a Sue attempt to be humorous, not a difference in usage.

No, it's really a difference in usage. Like I said, a Scottish friend uses the term that way, and you'll also find it in Harry Potter (the UK editions, at least). Or if you don't believe me, look at the first line of the Wikipedia entry.

• Love 2

Not really in the "Tart" topic but did anyone else get Season 3, Episode 9 last night?  My DVR taped is late at night.  I won't watch it, of course, until the proper time. Just wondered if it's just my PBS station doing things oddly.

After this terrible week, I came home to find my Tivo doing its thing with this show: yay! I had forgotten all about it. You can definitely tell that things like the show-stoppers will get bigger, but I still love this show. When Mel said that things would start to get cut-throat in episode 5, I just laughed. I love the way everyone helps everyone else. I think, as someone else mentioned, the fact that the prize isn't monetarily huge (though it's meaningful to all of the great home bakers) helps with the feeling of congeniality. And unlike a lot of our US shows, what's happening isn't a one-time thing for these contestants. You know that all of them will go home and continue to bake what they love. 

I want Sue and Mel to come stay with me and make me laugh all the time. 

• Love 8

Was that John’s son who was in a little clip saying “in my tum tum”? I nearly melted from the adorableness.

Love Sarah-Jane and how gleeful/shocked she was when Paul complimented her banana tart.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, jenh526 said:

Was that John’s son who was in a little clip saying “in my tum tum”? I nearly melted from the adorableness.

Love Sarah-Jane and how gleeful/shocked she was when Paul complimented her banana tart.

I was afraid that he wouldn’t like it since she had made the statement earlier about just using simple flavors and not adding extras (or something along those lines). Usually, when they leave a quote like that in, it always comes back to bite them.

• Love 3

A tank top is apparently called a vest in Britain, and a vest is called a waistcoat. Don’t know what a British tank top is. 

Having seen this years ago, it’s hard to pretend I don't remember who the semi/quarter finalists are when I’m faced with “the rest”, a bunch of people I honestly cannot recall at all. 

In the UK, a tank top is a sweater vest as worn by James. The American usage is gaining some headway on the internet. On certain shopping UK sites (like Amazon.co.uk), search results bring back tank top gets sweater vests and undershirt tank tops.

A vest is primarily a sleeveless coat such as that worn in a three piece suit (e.g. a waistcoat) but it can also refer to Men's undergarment shirt without sleeves (e.g. tank top).

While you don't literally jump into sweaters, they are called jumpers in the UK to differentiate them from the other sweater: cardigans.

18 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I thought that Paul's statement was 

Reveal hidden contents

the winner of Bread Week had always (to that point) made the finals, not necessarily won it all.

This is correct. I don't have the clip, but I remember looking at the stats of these around S6 or S7.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jenh526 said:

Was that John’s son who was in a little clip saying “in my tum tum”?

John does not, as far as I know, have a son. That would have been a younger brother or other relative, or a family friend.

Not on this particular episode, but thanks to those who have posted GBBO-positive comments in the Top Chef threads. I really enjoy that show but get annoyed by the gimmicks and "strategy"/competitiveness. After seeing enough comments praising GBBO, I finally gave it a try last season and absolutely love it. So relaxing, happy, and interesting (my Polish family has eaten much babka, but I had no idea it means "grandmother"), I could watch bucolic episode after episode. It's a salve to the heart in a pretty shitty world.

• Love 23

I thought it was confusing that Victoria seemed to make a comment to the effect of not wanting to get too complicated in the showstopper, and wanting to do fewer things better. And then she made a black pepper crust and lime cream and magoes and kiwis? And even in her walk-through M&P were all "well you've got a lot going on". So it wasn't surprising she lost. Contrast to Sarah Jane's "I know if it's simple it has to be perfect," which could have foretold either disaster or it'd be perfect, and luckily for her it was the latter. But in that situation, she said it was simple and it actually was simple.

• Love 1

Treacle tarts are very filling. My oldest brother used to make these at Christmas, & I would help.  But he used molasses, which of course made them even richer tasting.  I've made them a couple times for customers, but I use orange instead of lemon.  

I know some are used to the wow factor of later seasons' showstoppers. But remember they always say the easier/simpler the food, the better it should be.  You cannot hide the mistakes. And after all it should come down to how it tastes most of all. I also think as the show carried on, just like other shows, they needed to make it more difficult & change things up a bit. 

• Love 3
On 6/30/2018 at 12:54 AM, hendersonrocks said:

I've been looking forward to a new episode all week as an escape mechanism from the hellscape outside. This one didn't disappoint - it's just always so light and fun and good hearted, no matter the bakes or themes.

I depend on this show for just the same reason!  A breath of fresh air when the world is oppressive. 

• Love 1
On 7/1/2018 at 4:37 AM, kokapetl said:

A tank top is apparently called a vest in Britain, and a vest is called a waistcoat. Don’t know what a British tank top is. 

I believe what the US calls a tank top is a singlet in the UK.

5 hours ago, StrictTime said:

I believe what the US calls a tank top is a singlet in the UK.

Or a vest. So the terminology more or less reverses between the two countries. As I understand it:

US vest = UK waistcoat.

US sweater-vest = UK tank top.

US tank top (or its underwear equivalent, the sleeveless undershirt) = UK vest. I hear the equivalent term "singlet" used in both countries.

12 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

In the US, at least from what I've experienced, "singlet" is usually reserved for a sleeveless athletic top, like what runners wear. 

Singlets are a one piece tank top that terminate in shorts. They're primarily used in competitive wrestling.

• Love 1
On 7/12/2018 at 2:33 PM, Barb1959 said:

The one thing I heard was the correct pronunciation of MASCARPONE!  I heard Bobby flay say MARSCAPONE the other day!  He should know better.

Sandra Lee pronounces it incorrectly also, but I do not expect her to know better. She's the very definition of a hack. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

She's the very definition of a hack. 

How can you say that?  Her Kwanzaa cake is a classic! 

Well, a classic comedy piece.  My sister almost fell off the couch watching.  We a laughed until we cried.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, a classic comedy piece.  My sister almost fell off the couch watching.  We a laughed until we cried.

Never gets old! Thank you for the trip down memory lane - prefect antidote for the Sunday night blues.  LOL!!

• Love 2
On 7/15/2018 at 8:07 PM, Kohola3 said:

Oh my goodness, I went to YouTube and watched. That is the funniest “homemade” cake I’ve ever seen, thank you!

• Love 2