Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Barefoot & Fancy

In Atlanta, designers and friends Genevieve Gorder and John Gidding renovate a big basement and a small spare room; John's debut proves that smaller isn't always easier as he struggles to maximize the design within a tiny space.

(edited)

Didn't start typing my running commentary until about halfway through, but...

This is the second time the homeowner has just happened to have some salvaged wood in the backyard...

I kinda like the birch bark wallpaper but I'm not sure I'd want a whole huge room covered in it.

I really don't like that they just go shopping for furniture in the rest of the house. 

This Wayfair "song" commercial is really annoying.

That cross-stitch thing is a pretty ambitious project for such a short time frame. And he thought they'd do three of them?

I like the guest/craft room, but it's so small I feel like it might be a little claustrophobic for sleeping in. I like gray, but that's a lot of gray...the crafty nook with the desk looks cool. I like that they made a little built-in end table out of the wood, too.

I like the big basement. Looks nice and cozy but still room for kids to play. I don't love the curtain pattern but I think I take back my earlier comment about the wallpaper. Love the fireplace. Glad she was good with them taking the furniture from the other room, at least.

Edited by ams1001
extraneous word
  • Love 2

I came in about halfway through, and from the second half I never managed to figure out what that small room was supposed to be.  The craft nook I get, but the main part of the room is what?  A guest room, as stated above?  It doesn't say guest room to me at all, although it looked nice.

I don't like wallpaper, and I appreciate that Gen's was a subtle pattern, but there's still too much of it for my taste, and I think it looked like crap where it butted up against the fireplace stone.  I also don't understand the giant ottoman being pushed right up against the couch (obviously I'd just scoot it out, but then it would really feel oversized).  But, in general, I think the room came together well.

• Love 7
23 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I came in about halfway through, and from the second half I never managed to figure out what that small room was supposed to be.  The craft nook I get, but the main part of the room is what?  A guest room, as stated above?  It doesn't say guest room to me at all, although it looked nice.

I don't like wallpaper, and I appreciate that Gen's was a subtle pattern, but there's still too much of it for my taste, and I think it looked like crap where it butted up against the fireplace stone.  I also don't understand the giant ottoman being pushed right up against the couch (obviously I'd just scoot it out, but then it would really feel oversized).  But, in general, I think the room came together well.

The wife on the red team was pregnant with their second kid, and they had turned their former guest room into the nursery (I'm assuming they only have three bedrooms). She was already using the space they were redoing for crafts and stuff, but they wanted to be able use it for guests especially since they are expecting to have family visiting when the baby comes.

Agreed on the ottoman placement being a bit weird. And then when they move it out so they can actually sit properly on the couch, it will be half off the rug. I'd like it better if it was a little smaller, I think.

• Love 3

I thought both designers did well with their respective (and opposite) room size challenges.

I also think the "Hey, I just thought of something! They have salvaged wood in the yard! Do ya think we could use that?" stuff seems set up.

John seems really pleasant and has a Scott Foley vibe about him.

It was nice to see a show where both couples were happy with everything.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I really don't like that they just go shopping for furniture in the rest of the house.

I HATE this. How that blue console was originally set up in the home made me think that it was very much intentionally placed in the dining room. And the chandelier? I could have slapped Gen. 

55 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

That cross-stitch thing is a pretty ambitious project for such a short time frame. And he thought they'd do three of them?

It was clear John had never cross-stitched before. That was a massive project.

Overall both rooms were pretty good and highlighted how shitty and crafty some other designers can be.

• Love 5

I cross stitch, and when I saw what John wanted them to stitch, I knew it wasn't possible.  Stitching on fabric, it would have been barely possible, but on pegboard?  Nope.  

i want the light fixture in Genevieve's room!

• Love 7

I wondered why John didn’t put the couch on the opposite wall so it wouldn’t block the craft closet.  It seemed out of balance to me.  Maybe you had to be standing in it to understand.  That room called for a Murphy bed, big time.  I don’t see where 2k went. 

I really love Gen’s collection of peel off wall paper and  I liked the basement.  The wall paper made it feel less like an underground room.  The fire place was excellent.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I HATE this. How that blue console was originally set up in the home made me think that it was very much intentionally placed in the dining room. And the chandelier? I could have slapped Gen. 

And then she was talking about changing it, too! (I liked that blue piece, though.) I'd have been pissed. So then either they'll need to replace the piece in the dining room, or move it back and find something for the basement. 

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

5 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

When they do things like this and when Laurie wanted to take apart the couch/sectional that was in another room to put only two parts in her room it only means that the homeowners will have to spend money to replace the items that were "borrowed" from other rooms. Frank and to an extent Vern were the only designers that ever considered that people that go on Trading Spaces don't have unlimited income.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

When they do things like this and when Laurie wanted to take apart the couch/sectional that was in another room to put only two parts in her room it only means that the homeowners will have to spend money to replace the items that were "borrowed" from other rooms. Frank and to an extent Vern were the only designers that ever considered that people that go on Trading Spaces don't have unlimited income.

Is that where Laurie got the two corner pieces she used as chairs?! 

• Love 1

Are Ty and Carter not going to be used again as carpenters? I love Joanie mostly from ANTM, but I could take or leave Brett. And I'm still holding out for Amy Wynn next season ;)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Wings said:

I wondered why John didn’t put the couch on the opposite wall so it wouldn’t block the craft closet.  It seemed out of balance to me.  Maybe you had to be standing in it to understand.  That room called for a Murphy bed, big time.  I don’t see where 2k went. 

Maybe the futon was a higher end piece? I agree,  it was hard to see what might've cost that much. Wasn't there some design show that used to give a general breakdown of how the money was spent? Did that happen on the old version of TS?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SHD said:

Wasn't there some design show that used to give a general breakdown of how the money was spent? Did that happen on the old version of TS?

They did that for a while, in the later years of the series -- as part of the segment in which Paige and the designer talked before the room was revealed to the homeowner, there was a budget recap showing X dollars spent on fabric/upholstery, Y on lighting, Z on furniture, etc.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, SHD said:

Maybe the futon was a higher end piece? I agree,  it was hard to see what might've cost that much. Wasn't there some design show that used to give a general breakdown of how the money was spent? Did that happen on the old version of TS?

Futons are typically cheaper.  TS sometimes gives the price but it not an official breakdown.  Designers get deals so they don’t emphaise the prices.  Vern got 2 new couches for $40 a piece on one of the old Showa that aired recently.  Gen got the chandelier for $99 and it was probably because the cameras were there though we saw little of it.  

11 hours ago, Wings said:

I wondered why John didn’t put the couch on the opposite wall so it wouldn’t block the craft closet.

I wondered why it wasn't on the other wall, too.  Not just because of the closet, but because where it was it just looked at a wall.  Yes, there were some pics on that wall, but the wall it was on had a window.  It just made sense to me that it should be moved.  The only thing I could think of was maybe it would have overlapped the door? I couldn't really tell though.  

• Love 2
(edited)
6 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I wondered why it wasn't on the other wall, too.  Not just because of the closet, but because where it was it just looked at a wall.  Yes, there were some pics on that wall, but the wall it was on had a window.  It just made sense to me that it should be moved.  The only thing I could think of was maybe it would have overlapped the door? I couldn't really tell though.  

I will look again, it didn’t notice a window.  I bet you are right that a door was on the wall with the meager assortment of pictures and wouldn’t fit.  

Guess 2k could t stretch to a bigger piece of art, which I find strange.  As strange as them choosing such a tiny room to have 2 uses.  Crazy

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

Thought Gen's huge room turned out really nice.  I always thought her rooms were very hit or miss but this was a winner.

Really mainly wanted to post that I can't believe next week is the season finale???? So Frank isn't even going to get to do a room?  Laurie and Vern only got to do ONE room for the whole season?  Why did we get Hildi TWICE?  And claiming the original carpenters were coming back was really kind of a lie since they were only back as designers.  Really hope if there is a next season it is much longer.   I remember the original seasons going on forever and all of the designers appearing many times each season.  That was my favorite thing watching the old show...seeing which pair of designers would be on the show that week.   Why did we need THREE new designers, Clinton, N&J, when freaking Frank didnt even get to do a room??????

• Love 4

@aquarian1.  Just looked at the room again.  There are French doors at the end of the room from another room in the house.  Living room perhaps but how odd.  Hard to figure out what this tiny room was originally intended to be.   For a guest room they will need curtains on them I suppose.  He didn’t do that, another odd budget choice.

I noticed (8 min mark) that when the doors are open, the side with the pics did limit the wall space.  The doors were not centered so one layed against the wall further into the room.  That mystery solved.  The window opened into another room in the house, probably the same one th doors were from. Mystery not solved!  

John missed something funny, it just slid by him, his wife too. John removed a ceiling panel and the guy HO said, “Oh, that’s where the body is.”  

• Love 2
(edited)

There is a 360 degree view of both rooms on FB. He did put curtains on the French doors. I think their friends applied to get their basement done and their friends agreed thinking, well how badly can they mess up this tiny space so agreed to apply with them. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3
(edited)

The color or that craft closet hurt me eyes, especially with the gray room.  What the hell was that color? That patchwork board that they spent 7 hours on? Horrible! They should have done a drape type door that she could tie back when using it.

Also, the ceiling would have looked SO much better if they had painted white in the sections in the groove portions.  It would look like lattice, and be a nice detail in a small room.

Gen's room? too big and disjointed...fireplace looked great

13 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I cross stitch, and when I saw what John wanted them to stitch, I knew it wasn't possible.  Stitching on fabric, it would have been barely possible, but on pegboard?  Nope.  

i want the light fixture in Genevieve's room!

Its at Lowes!

I bought the exact one for my boutique about 6 years ago...This one is close

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Cascadia-Lighting-Trellis-13-75-in-3-Light-Architectural-bronze-Vintage-Candle-Chandelier/1000055109

Edited by Christi
2 hours ago, Wings said:

@aquarian1.  Just looked at the room again.  There are French doors at the end of the room from another room in the house.  Living room perhaps but how odd.  Hard to figure out what this tiny room was originally intended to be.   For a guest room they will need curtains on them I suppose.  He didn’t do that, another odd budget choice.

I noticed (8 min mark) that when the doors are open, the side with the pics did limit the wall space.  The doors were not centered so one layed against the wall further into the room.  That mystery solved.  The window opened into another room in the house, probably the same one th doors were from. Mystery not solved!  

John missed something funny, it just slid by him, his wife too. John removed a ceiling panel and the guy HO said, “Oh, that’s where the body is.”  

I think the little room was in the basement. At the reveal when the wife notices the painted ceiling, she says something about her husband now having a project for the rest of the basement. (Also, the ceiling tiles came out, which is usually something you see in a basement.)

• Love 2

The thing I did not like about Gen's fireplace is she left the hearth original so it was still the dark (green, maybe?) tile and it really did not match the stacked stone of the rest.

• Love 8
18 hours ago, ams1001 said:

17 hours ago, Marmiarmo said:

I did tons of cross-stitch back in the 90s (when I could still see small things), and I know that even a seemingly tiny project often takes hours and hours.  I don't think John has ever done any actual cross-stitch or he would know that..

Would I be mean to suggest that they stop choosing upscale houses and HOs?

And when did they stop requiring a room to be 14' x 14'?  Probably just because of all the people behind the scenes who have to be in the room, but it was always a rule on the old show.

The little alcove was nice, but in no way big enough to do any serious crafting.  And claustrophobic.  When they were panning the room during the reveal, something was plugged into the wall socket on the right that hadn't been there before.  What was that?  Did they put a picture of an ultrasound on the wall?  How long before that loses its appeal?

I like that Gen took a large, disjointed room and made it much cozier.  

2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

According to my DVR, next week's new episode is a special, half-hour episode based on Doug's Prisoner of Love bedroom and the toilet seats-as-bench. 

Yuck!  That just shows how much the producers -- mistakenly -- continue to think we value shock over beauty.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

According to my DVR, next week's new episode is a special, half-hour episode based on Doug's Prisoner of Love bedroom and the toilet seats-as-bench. 

I just looked at TV Guide's website, and it lists a new episode at 8:00-8:21 called "Training Spaces: Teach Me How to Dougie," and then a rerun of the season premiere, then another new episode at 9:31-9:53 called "Training Spaces: Do It Your-Shelf."

The pushed in giant ottoman is what that style is made for. It creates a large lounge area for multiple people to lay across. Usually never used in a more formal area. Great for kids/teens and watching movies or whatnot. You only pull it out if you really want to sit.

Liked the big room overall but wouldn't have done the wallpaper everywhere. The fireplace was the first design choice I've seen this season that used modern materials and a current design trend. Like the poster above, shame she didn't change the hearth to finish off the look.

Didn't like the small room as much. The reclaimed wood wall piece with built in table was a cool addition. I think the room is just too small for all the things they want to do with it. Breaking out the closet was the best choice they made.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Did they put a picture of an ultrasound on the wall?

Yeah. It's fitting for now because the baby-on-the-way was the reason they were turning that room into a guest space to begin with (since baby is getting what was previously the guest room). I'd think they'll replace it eventually.

13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

I did tons of cross-stitch back in the 90s (when I could still see small things), and I know that even a seemingly tiny project often takes hours and hours.  I don't think John has ever done any actual cross-stitch or he would know that..

My grandmother did cross-stitch and all kinds of other needlework...it's still all over my parents' house (she died in 2001), some of it dating back to the 70s, at least (you can tell by the lovely yellow/orange/brown color pallette ;) ). I have a couple complicated embroidery (not cross-stitch) pieces she did for me - one is a "still life" of a violin, sheet music, ballet slippers, and flowers, and the other is a ballerina in a long tutu bending over her slipper (I took ballet for all of a year as a kid). They're beautiful and I'm sure took a hell of a lot longer than a couple days, even if she didn't have anything else to do during that time, unlike the homeowners on this show. Even the simpler cross-stitch pieces in my parents kitchen I'm sure took several hours. And she was an expert with a needle.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
18 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I just looked at TV Guide's website, and it lists a new episode at 8:00-8:21 called "Training Spaces: Teach Me How to Dougie," and then a rerun of the season premiere, then another new episode at 9:31-9:53 called "Training Spaces: Do It Your-Shelf."

The season finale-episode 8 is on June 2nd. They probably didn’t  want to put a new episode on Memorial Day weekend.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The season finale is in two weeks. They're skipping new episodes over Memorial Day weekend. 

I really didn’t like the wallpaper. It would have been better if it had a more obvious print or prominent color. For me it made the room look like it wasn’t finished or that it was a room with wallpaper already that no one wanted to take the time to remove it. 

• Love 4

I loved both rooms and both couples. This is how I like the show. I love watching the reveal when they love the room. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. lol 

I did find it odd that the sofa in the tiny room was facing a mostly balance wall. All I can think is, as someone said, putting it on the other wall would have blocked the door into the room. I actually loved how the cross stitching came out, it's such a neat and personal idea, but my god I wouldn't have wanted to do all that work under that kind of time constraint. New designer is quite ambitious. I like him though. I think he had a great attitude and his room was lovely. And I know it's silly, but that bright white outlet on the dark wall just haning there with nothing around it bothered me. 

Gen's room was great. Loved the chandelier, loved the stone around the fireplace (but yeah, the little bit of tile left behind really stood out) and I loved the wallpaper, but agree that I didn't really like where the stone and the birch wallpaper came together. Just something about the two patterns together isn't great. 

That said, these are knitpicky complaints. Overall two great couples got great rooms. Please show, if you continue, more of this, less of Hildi, less uncooperative homeowners with unrealistic expectations, and less cheap looking "projects" and Paige. 

In last eps thread we were discussing how Paige can be too much, or will insert herself into everything. I really saw it this ep. When, I think it was Gen, was telling the homeowners and Joanie what they were going to do, Paige repeated every freaking thin Gen said. It was sooooo obnoxious, like a small child who needs to be the center of attention at all times. So less Paige would be good too. Have her at the beginning, and at the reveal, and leave her out of all the work. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

There was an outlet on the other wall. It may have been the only outlet in the room and he didn't want to hide it with the built-in futon.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Zanne said:

There was an outlet on the other wall. It may have been the only outlet in the room and he didn't want to hide it with the built-in futon.

There is a plug on both walls, he had a lamp beside the couch.  The placement is about the door opening. Scroll up, I described what it looked like or go to FB Trading Spaces page and watch Paige’s video which is a 360 degree view. 

ETA. There isn’t a plug on the couch wall, I just looked again! The lamp must be battery LED light. 

Edited by Wings

I would like them to put a minimum and maximum size for rooms.  Neither extreme is satisfying for designers or viewers.  They also smack of the HOs choosing a room Hildi or Doug could fuck up with the least toll taken. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I just watched again, third time now.  Not the entire show but the finished rooms.  Gen’s basement was stunning.  I have never been a fan of wall paper but I loved this, it gave the room a pulled together warm look that paint would have left looking bare and cavernous. Her entire line of removable, peel and stick papers are really nice, very modern. 

I would want Gen to do a room in my house if dared apply which I never would.  I love my mid century ranch and how I have it decorated. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 3

I would want Gen to do a room in my house if dared apply which I never would.  I love my mid century ranch and how I have it decorated. 

I think if you apply to the show, you have to be prepared that a room in your home might be ruined.  I think the people with the lowest expectations are the ones who end up being the happiest if things go well, and steeled if things go badly.  I didn't love either design this episode, but I didn't think either room was bad.  I have liked a lot of what Genevive has done over the years, and if I had my choice for designers, I'd probably want her or Vern.     

• Love 6

Genevieve's room didn't grab me at all, it looked like something I could have come up with.  Just run down to Home Depot and buy some brick facade and wallpaper.  Big deal.  There was no cohesive theme to it.  I'm glad the HOs liked it, but when you play it safe like that and do something pretty bland but looks nice enough, they probably will.  But on this show you expect to see something more.

I thought John did a good job with that tiny room.

• Love 5

I didn’t like the wallpaper, I think the room was too big and there wasn’t enough contrast between it and the stone on the fireplace. I might not have minded it if it were only on one wall.

• Love 8

I didn’t like the wallpaper, I think the room was too big and there wasn’t enough contrast between it and the stone on the fireplace. I might not have minded it if it were only on one wall.

I agree. I would have liked the wall paper on the long wall and then paint on the walls leading to the fireplace. I love Gen and the wallpapers she created seem pretty cool, but I hope not every episode we see Gen in has her gushing about and installing her wallpaper. At some point it's going to feel more like commercial opportunity for her than Trading Spaces.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, jcbrown said:

The thing I did not like about Gen's fireplace is she left the hearth original so it was still the dark (green, maybe?) tile and it really did not match the stacked stone of the rest.

I FLOVED the fireplace and want to do that to mine. I wish they would have showed how to frame it out. ..i ve seen it in mags so i may try it ......maybe if my brother the contractor can help me when he comes to visit for vacation. Framing shouldn't take too long right? 

The middle is black and I'm not sure it's is paintable cuz it gets hot even with gas....

• Love 1

I have liked John Gidding since his HGTV days.  He is super pretty (former model) and seems like a nice guy.  I miss Curb Appeal the block.  I liked his room fine but found the tassel across the craft room a bit odd and am assuming the room was meant more for storing the crafts as opposed to working in it.  The whole area was just an odd, narrow layout. 

Gen's room was good for a kid friendly basement (certainly better than Hildi's basement room).  I wasn't sure about the wallpaper but it lightened up the space a good bit.  The green tile at the hearth bothered me too ;)   Our former house had a finished basement and we did make improvements to it over the years so our teens had a comfortable place to hang out but there is close to zero return on investment (technically it really isn't even considered as legit square footage) so it was never as nice as the rest of the house.  It is a pretty safe room to take a chance on if you aren't paying for anything.            

• Love 1

I liked both rooms okay.  I am not a crafter but did think the use of the closet was very good.

In Gen’s I didn’t notice they kept the hearth tile.  Yes that should go, maybe the homeowners can do that if they replace the flooring at some point as hearths are used for gas fireplaces much any more.  Possibly for now they can just paint it (good oil based primer, I have successfully done it on a backsplash and believe it or not- shower tiles).

The big ottoman idea is good but the colour didn’t work for me.  Ideally you get the same couch fabric, which wasn’t possible, so then I think going bigger contrast both in colour and fabric is better than looking half-matched.  Dark leather or maybe even white leather (fake leather) or an accent colour may have been better.

• Love 4

I don't think I've ever seen this show re-do such a tiny, tiny room. Bright side? If they got a trainwreck from someone like Hildi, it wouldn't matter much. Maybe that's why they chose that room. They just wanted to be on the show but didn't want to really risk one of their actively used rooms. I don't even know what kind of room the builder of that house intended it to be. I've seen bigger closets.

The designs were great, though. Again, I'll just say it - I wish they would stop using clowns like Doug and Hildi who just want to do shocking, tacky things to get talked about. Even when the design is a miss-fire like Laurie's last week, so long as it was done in an attempt to do something nice and not a deliberate prank I don't mind as much.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, AnnieHeights said:

I liked his room fine but found the tassel across the craft room a bit odd and am assuming the room was meant more for storing the crafts as opposed to working in it. 

The tassel made it look like a room in a museum that you're only allowed to look into, not enter, on the tour.  Dumb for a craft closet.

And I agree the size makes it impractical to actually work in there, but by the inclusion of the wall-mounted table, how things were arranged to be reachable from that table (rather than organized bins), and leaving the doorway open, I think it was intended as a work space, not a storage space.  There certainly wasn't any place to work in the rest of the room (not even on the floor, since the room is so small), so if it was storage she'd have to grab what she needed and take it someplace else in the house. 

Nice-looking room, but not practical for either of its stated purposes (what guest, over the age of 25 and not passing out drunk, wants to sleep on a futon, especially one looking at a wall with an ultrasound picture?).  That was an inherent quality of the room, though - the size and layout make it impractical for just about anything, including their request of guest room.

• Love 2

Both rooms were okay.  I was underwhelmed, as I have been most of the season.  I like what Gen did to the fireplace, but the wallpaper right next to the brick, not so much.  And the other room was okay, but gray?  Meh.  (And I like gray but I am kind of over it on this show).

Season finale in two weeks?   And I am guessing that Frank is not one of the designers?  I am disappointed in this reboot so far.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't think I've ever seen this show re-do such a tiny, tiny room. Bright side? If they got a trainwreck from someone like Hildi, it wouldn't matter much. Maybe that's why they chose that room. They just wanted to be on the show but didn't want to really risk one of their actively used rooms. I don't even know what kind of room the builder of that house intended it to be. I've seen bigger closets.

It looked like what used to be called a maid's room.  I thought it was funny when the homeowners and Paige came back and found John working away after the walls had been painted and with his gray T shirt, he just about blended in.