Type keyword(s) to search

Whiskey Cavalier - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

So now I won't bother finding the last episode (ABC crapped out during a storm when it was on. Sometimes it seems like ABC and CBS are fighting for the same broadcast frequency when the wind blows or its raining cats and dogs.)

This show was a little rough around the edges, IMO, but it was still 100% better production quality than any 60s or 70s show. There's just a lot of competition at this historical moment. Not unlike (I imagine) when Leonardo Da Vinci and Michaelangelo were vying for slices of the pie of the Medici's commissions to create public works of art some 500 years ago.

peace out, all y'all wave.gif

Edited by shapeshifter
7 hours ago, MsNewsradio said:

And it’s been cancelled:

Whiskey Cavalier Cancelled

I'm just going to start to assume that the first show a network picks up is going to be canceled.  WC was the very first pilot that ABC picked up and it was never really given a chance.  I think 10pm on Wednesdays is pretty much a death wish time slot.

Filming in Prague was a bad idea cost-wise.  Unless ratings are consistently stellar, a network is going to look long and hard at whether it’s ‘worth it”.  I hope someone else picks it up — I’ll happily follow WC.

• Love 2
(edited)
51 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

Filming in Prague was a bad idea cost-wise.  Unless ratings are consistently stellar, a network is going to look long and hard at whether it’s ‘worth it”.  I hope someone else picks it up — I’ll happily follow WC.

The show's creator Bill Lawrence mentioned that the cost of filming in Europe with the sets and action locations would have cost double to triple to do in the States. And that for the cost of filming the cast walking down the streets in New York or LA they could shut down a bridge by the Eiffel Tower. 

I'm hoping the show gets picked up somewhere else, but I am not holding my breath. It's too bad because this show was so much fun and fun shows (that aren't comedies) are missing from TV right now. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 4/24/2019 at 11:38 PM, phalange said:

Jai was so funny this episode. Caucasian Corners and WASPington slayed me. And his payback at the end for Will's bonding session was perfect. Also Standish going to hug Will and saying "excuse me" to the guy on the floor. 

Hate-flirting is a perfect term for how Will and Frankie communicate. Love it. 

Also loved Jai's comment about how he loved driving in Mumbai during the car chase.

So disappointed that the show has been cancelled.  This show is among the top 2 or 3 shows that I really look forward to seeing each week.  It's so much fun.  The cast is great, the locations are great, the fight scenes are well choreographed and look very real, the plots are interesting.

Screw you, ABC.  ABC always seems to cancel everything I like.  I guess if it's not by Shonda Rhimes, I will learn to avoid any new shows on ABC because they're likely already doomed.

Really hope this show can move to Netflix or another outlet.  I remember when "JAG" was cancelled after one season on NBC, then picked up by CBS and ran for an additional 9 seasons.  Without "JAG", there would be no "NCIS" franchise.  So there is something to be said about giving shows a second chance.

• Love 9
17 hours ago, Trey said:

I thought it was getting better with every episode.  But, if the ratings aren't there...

I think this is part of the issue.  I was really looking forward to this show before it aired, and really liked the pilot. Then it seemed to flounder for the next few episodes and couldn't really find its footing.  Then it did and has been improving, but I think by that point, it might have been too late.

1 minute ago, deaja said:

I think this is part of the issue.  I was really looking forward to this show before it aired, and really liked the pilot. Then it seemed to flounder for the next few episodes and couldn't really find its footing.  Then it did and has been improving, but I think by that point, it might have been too late.

It also suffered from a terrible time slot. ABC originally had "A Million Little Things" Wednesdays at 10, and it wasn't going well - it got moved to a different day/time and ratings improved. Wednesdays at 10 are a terrible time slot - and WC just didn't fit with the comedy lead-ins (which were also often on repeat which didn't help). 

I really wish ABC had given it another chance and moved it to a different time. I really think that it would have seen an increase in ratings in season two, especially if season one was on Netflix over the summer. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, HighHopes said:

I really wish ABC had given it another chance and moved it to a different time. I really think that it would have seen an increase in ratings in season two, especially if season one was on Netflix over the summer. 

Yeah, I wish that ABC had given it a second chance, like it did with AMLT.  Honestly, if I had to choose one of those shows to renew, I would have chosen differently.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Airing episodes out of order didn’t help things either, especially with no obvious reasons for the changes.

True.  But I was only aware of this because of this board.  Without this board, I probably would have had no idea.  I guess I'm not convinced that the out-of-order airings had any factor in the cancellation.  For whatever reason, from the very beginning, there just wasn't enough interest in this show.

This was a great show.  It was very creative.  The action was thrilling and there was a lot of comedy.  I know there were a lot of complaints about how formulaic it was, with the "two people who work together and hate each other but secretly like each other" trope, but beyond that, the show was really coming into its own.

I'll never understand how or why some shows succeed with the American public and why others fail.   Like how can a show like "SEAL Team" succeed with the horrible wooden lead actor and boring storylines, but the similarly themed "The Brave" fail with a much better cast and better writing?  WC was unlike many of the police/military procedurals on TV.

I just hate that so many of the shows I like seem doomed to cancellation.  I'm sure I've already doomed "The Code" (sorry to the four other people in the country who watch it).  And the upcoming "Blood and Treasure" has me very very excited which likely means that it has already been marked for cancellation.  Sorry peeps!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I'll never understand how or why some shows succeed with the American public and why others fail.   Like how can a show like "SEAL Team" succeed with the horrible wooden lead actor and boring storylines, but the similarly themed "The Brave" fail with a much better cast and better writing?  WC was unlike many of the police/military procedurals on TV.

I really think that the time slot was the real killer here.  Last year, ABC made two big pickups right off the bat and they put both of those shows in this time slot and both shows suffered.  AMLT was moved to a better slot where I think it got higher ratings than it probably deserved, thanks to being behind one of the highest (maybe THE highest?) rated broadcast show.  

WC is not a "Wednesday at 10" kind of show.  It's more like, hmm, maybe a "Friday at 8" kind of show.  It's unfortunate that ABC was willing to throw it away without really giving it a chance.  Even with DVR's/Hulu/on-demand, time slots still matter with broadcast shows, and it seems that ABC doesn't realize that.

• Love 3
(edited)
23 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I really think that the time slot was the real killer here.  Last year, ABC made two big pickups right off the bat and they put both of those shows in this time slot and both shows suffered.  AMLT was moved to a better slot where I think it got higher ratings than it probably deserved, thanks to being behind one of the highest (maybe THE highest?) rated broadcast show.  

WC is not a "Wednesday at 10" kind of show.  It's more like, hmm, maybe a "Friday at 8" kind of show.  It's unfortunate that ABC was willing to throw it away without really giving it a chance.  Even with DVR's/Hulu/on-demand, time slots still matter with broadcast shows, and it seems that ABC doesn't realize that.

ABC claimed that they cancelled it because the viewers weren't there, but they were just not live because 10pm on a Wednesday is not the time people are watching TV live. But like you mentioned, they weren't there for AMLT either but were once it got moved to a better time slot. So instead of giving WC another chance like they did with AMLT they cancelled it and decided to replace it with another new show. Apparently they think third time is the charm for Wednesdays at 10. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, blackwing said:

True.  But I was only aware of this because of this board.  Without this board, I probably would have had no idea.  I guess I'm not convinced that the out-of-order airings had any factor in the cancellation.

I didn't need this board to tell me that characters who acted one way one week, then acted in a totally opposite manner the next week, that things were weird.  Would I continue to read a book when the chapters are out of sequence? No. Now, did that lead to its cancellation, probably not, but NOT knowing that the airings were out of sequence could lead to some confusion and disinterest.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, HighHopes said:

ABC claimed that they cancelled it because the viewers weren't there, but they were just not live because 10pm on a Wednesday is not the time people are watching TV live. But like you mentioned, they weren't there for AMLT either but were once it got moved to a better time slot. So instead of giving WC another chance like they did with AMLT they cancelled it and decided to replace it with another new show. Apparently they think third time is the charm for Wednesdays at 10

I made a mental note to not bother with the new show on at Wednesday at 10 but then I saw the cast includes Cobie Smulders, Michael Ealy and Camryn Manheim. I hate ABC. 

I hope Hulu picks up Whiskey Cavalier. It could be a very good fit there. 

26 minutes ago, Dani said:

I made a mental note to not bother with the new show on at Wednesday at 10 but then I saw the cast includes Cobie Smulders, Michael Ealy and Camryn Manheim. I hate ABC. 

That’s quite the casting coup. Cobie is always welcome on my TV, and Ealy and Manheim are excellent additions.  What show is this? Would you really not watch out of spite?  ABC has had this early cancellation reputation for awhile and yet people still watch their shows. 

1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

That’s quite the casting coup. Cobie is always welcome on my TV, and Ealy and Manheim are excellent additions.  What show is this? Would you really not watch out of spite?  ABC has had this early cancellation reputation for awhile and yet people still watch their shows. 

It’s a graphic novel adaptation called Stumptown. No, my frustration was in realizing that once again I will be watching because I love the cast. Oh well, I’m sure it will be enjoyable while it lasts. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, Dani said:

It’s a graphic novel adaptation called Stumptown. No, my frustration was in realizing that once again I will be watching because I love the cast. Oh well, I’m sure it will be enjoyable while it lasts. 

Thanks. I’ll keep an eye out for it.  I used to watch Grey’s and loved the cast. I will admit that I didn’t watch Grey’s at first because I thought it was a chick show, yeah shallow of me, but I gave it a try and watched for years. I only stopped watching because they paired Mer up with a new guy.

If The replacement to WC has a good cast and is fun, I’ll watch it. I’ve watched countless numbers of shows that were cancelled too soon and I don’t think that’s going to change.

i saw the initial trailer for “Stumptown” and it looks like Cobie’s character is a lot like Frankie.  Ealy appears to be her boyfriend and police partner with Manheim as their Lt. or some superior.  A lot of poor (as in not financially stable) jokes.  I’ll probably check it out. Maybe it will be fun to watch.

Edited by Jacks-Son
8 hours ago, Dani said:

It does look good. I will probably watch it. Or wait for it to hit netflix, but I usually check out all of the new shows.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, blackwing said:

So disappointed that the show has been cancelled.  This show is among the top 2 or 3 shows that I really look forward to seeing each week.  It's so much fun.  The cast is great, the locations are great, the fight scenes are well choreographed and look very real, the plots are interesting.

Screw you, ABC.  ABC always seems to cancel everything I like.  I guess if it's not by Shonda Rhimes, I will learn to avoid any new shows on ABC because they're likely already doomed.

Really hope this show can move to Netflix or another outlet.  I remember when "JAG" was cancelled after one season on NBC, then picked up by CBS and ran for an additional 9 seasons.  Without "JAG", there would be no "NCIS" franchise.  So there is something to be said about giving shows a second chance.

I know exactly how you feel. That's why I kind of hate ABC. I really, really, really enjoyed this show so I am so disappointed. Still haven't forgiven these asshats for cancelling My So-
Called Life. They seriously fucking suck!

• Love 5
1 minute ago, politichick said:

I know exactly how you feel. That's why I kind of hate ABC. I really, really, really enjoyed this show so I am so disappointed. Still haven't forgiven these asshats for cancelling My So-
Called Life. They seriously fucking suck!

The best line of utter bullshit from the ABC president about the cancellation was how she claimed they looked for another night to air the show, but couldn't find one where the show could grow.

Again, bullshit.

I wish she would have just been honest and said we don't own it, so we axed it.

At least one writer is trying to do his part to save the show and have it go elsewhere, even if it is likely futile:

TBS needs Whiskey Cavalier, not Snowpiercer.

• Love 7

Watching this week was very bittersweet, with the cancellation. I am trying to be optimistic that someone could pick the show up, but I dont know how likely that will be. 

Especially because I really liked this episode, I liked getting more about Frankie's past, and casting Christa Miller as her surrogate mother was great casting, she was really good and she and Lauren had really good chemistry together. Awww, Frankie got nervous about Will getting hurt! Her story was sweet, even though I felt bad for her surrogate mom, finding out that her husband was a master criminal. And I thought she had a messed up marriage to Doctor Cox!

"This is the first time she has used the words stupid and childish and not been about me!"

I know I've said this before, but I really do enjoy the fight scenes so much, and how unique and yet still very solid they feel. The fight at the sports club, with Standish hitting the guy with the golf club and even getting a badass one liner was really great, and I just appreciate how much effort is put into every fight scene. 

Stupid ABC! 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Especially because I really liked this episode, I liked getting more about Frankie's past, and casting Christa Miller as her surrogate mother was great casting,

Well, I believe Christa Miller's husband, Bill Lawrence, is one of the producers as well as creator (Doozer Production Company at the end, same one for Scrubs), so it wasn't as much of a surprise for me, but it was still nice! (And I believe Christa Miller also previously worked with the actor that plays Ray on Cougartown, as someone else said, so...yeah. I was almost expecting her. LOL!)

As an aside, I loved how warped Jordan and Dr. Cox were on Scrubs. Jordan makes Frankie look all warm and fuzzy.

Still so bitter this is ending. Not hopeful anyone will pick it up.  😞

• Love 2

Just remembered there was another episode on and wanted to post a quickie.  I just watched the cold open with my jam and I had to laugh out loud, continuously.  From the stroll down the beach, through the Ferris Wheel "It's right there!!!" and even through Frankie's holding up the cami in front of Will (a surprisingly subtle dig from Frankie) to Will shockingly, NOT shockingly, asking her if she left her man to check on him?  This show can be hilarious at times and the two leads can be so in sync.  Thanks, ABC, for letting me have a bite of this delicious cheesecake and then taking it away telling me I can't have any more.  

• Love 7

If anyone’s got a simple explanation as to how these shows ascertain the viewing figures quoted I’d be grateful.

I haven’t watched broadcast TV for a couple of years now, everything gets recorded and I watch what I want when I want. That way and on demand viewing are only going to grow in popularity, do these people get included in the viewing figures?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, OoohMaggie said:

I haven’t watched broadcast TV for a couple of years now, everything gets recorded and I watch what I want when I want. That way and on demand viewing are only going to grow in popularity, do these people get included in the viewing figures?

Only if they have one of those Nielsen boxes or fill out one of those diaries. Otherwise, no.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Only if they have one of those Nielsen boxes or fill out one of those diaries. Otherwise, no.

I think, hidden somewhere in their GA, is the little know fact that Hulu subscribers are part of the Nielsen ratings and what they watch counts.  So, depending on how you time delay your viewing, you may be counted towards their viewership ratings.

Watched the complete episode and while it was an excellent episode and indicative of what the cast and writers can do despite the network's interference.  Why do these network types think they know better than the writers who are actually writing the story?

This episode was an outstanding episode and hit all the marks.  Humor, action, subtle romance, drama, good acting from the ENTIRE cast, suspense and it was exactly what I expect from this show.  They air this episode now???  It's like Kelly did when she slapped Daniel; slapping him for not realizing what he had.  ABC, how could you be so stupid?

• Love 3

Very good episode.  I'm glad Kelly didn't turn out to be the real mastermind - I was sort of expecting that, so I was pleased that the writers didn't do that.

Good music too - Misirlou at the beach scene was perfect.  And Cruel to be Kind is always good.

I am going to miss this show.

2 hours ago, Trey said:

Good music too - Misirlou at the beach scene was perfect.  And Cruel to be Kind is always good.

You can't go wrong w/ Nick Lowe. Still, in some ways I wish this story took place in random Eastern European Country where we could have heard a foreign cover version. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Still, in some ways I wish this story took place in random Eastern European Country where we could have heard a foreign cover version. 

I was actually wishing that too - the foreign covers were a great part of the show:)

On 5/15/2019 at 11:50 PM, tennisgurl said:

I know I've said this before, but I really do enjoy the fight scenes so much, and how unique and yet still very solid they feel. The fight at the sports club, with Standish hitting the guy with the golf club and even getting a badass one liner was really great, and I just appreciate how much effort is put into every fight scene. 

Stupid ABC! 

So stupid!

You're so right about the fight scenes. It's very rare that I enjoy fight scenes. I just get bored or can't tell what's going on or notice places it looks fake. That never happens with this show. I watch them and enjoy them. They add to the show, which is not that easy to pull off. And I hope Lauren Cohan is having as much fun as it looks like she is, because I buy her as a kickass agent who can deliver the beatings she does.  I hope the whole cast has enjoyed making this show, because they did something special that I looked forward to each week. (sniff)

• Love 3

I really enjoyed the foreign covers of familiar songs. This was a real quality enjoyable show that had a really great old fashioned feel to it. I say that in a good way. It was like an updated “Heart to Heart” or “Charlie’s Angels.” 

I guess it was too old fashioned for today’s audience.

• Love 2

Christa Miller is the wife of WC Executive Producer Bill Lawrence.  He was also involved in producing Scrubs, Clone High, and Cougar Town.  Christa Miller appeared in all of those shows also.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I just watched the "College Confidential" episode, and thought it was another holdover from earlier in the season considering everyone was acting like normal again.  But it sounds like they only switched this episode and the next one.

The college episode was the first episode where I thought the humor really worked on all fronts.  Finally, the characters have enough rapport with one other to truly joke around in a way that felt natural.  It was also a nice developmental episode for Standish and fun to see his two "parental" figures and their opposing approaches.  Throw in a good guest star (though his accent was a little strange and inconsistent, maybe since I am used to hearing him speak English without an accent) and the story-of-the-week was pretty good.

So it was disappointing to come on here and find out the show was cancelled.  Sheesh, I could finally say an episode was good (after 10 uneven attempts), and then the show is terminated.  Reminds me why I stopped trying new shows on network TV for years.

Edited by Camera One

Just watched the most recent episode, and I'm not sure why they switched these two.  I guess a big character episode for Frankie was more appropriate leading into the finale.  Still, it's weird how the whole murdered girlfriend arc and evil mole arcs have been completely ignored.

I thought "Two of a Kind" was another good one - two solid episodes in a row.  The show has really hit its strides with its mix of cool action and humor.  The Will/Frankie banter is starting to really work.  It took a long time, but they're finally doing a good job, and then it's cancelled.  

I just hope they wrote a finale that could serve as a satisfying series finale.  I would hate for there to be a big cliffhanger at the end of it.

• Love 1

5 Recently Canceled TV Shows Netflix Should Save

From Netflix Life:

5 recently canceled TV shows Netflix should save

5. Whiskey Cavalier

When it was canceled: May 11, 2019

Number of seasons aired: 1

What it’s about: Whiskey Cavalier stars Scott Foley and Lauren Cohan as an FBI and CIA agent forced to form a team together. They don’t exactly get along and have very different ways of doing things, but they soon realize that they do balance each other out — especially with the rest of their team.

It’s an over-the-top dramedy. Never once does the show take itself too seriously, but there’s plenty of heart in this show.

Why it should be saved: As a midseason freshman, there hasn’t been much time to really tell a story. However, there was enough time to make it clear that there is plenty of potential for the show. Whiskey Cavalier was one of ABC’s best dramedies and it’s a crying shame that it wasn’t renewed for a second season.

It’s fun and over-the-top, which makes it a change from all the other spy dramas out there. With Scott Foley in the lead, was it really surprising that we’d get something funny? Lauren Cohan offered some seriousness to it, but she still managed to keep the fun in the series.

Then there were the three other main character — Susan, Jai, and Standish. The three never really got that much attention, being just the sidekicks to Foley’s Will Chase and Cohan’s Frankie Trowbridge. We needed more time to see the three step up as crucial elements to the team and even take the lead now and then. Netflix would be the place to do that.

• Love 3

I read on Twitter today that Netlfix is looking at Whiskey Cavalier. On Netflix, there is a page where you can suggest shows that you would like Netflix to pick up. Many users are going there to suggest WC. I don't have a link, but I just googled "shows I want to see on Netflix" or something like that and I got there. 

Also, Christ Evert the tennis player and William Shatner have been tweeting for someone to pick up the show.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 5/16/2019 at 1:30 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Christa Miller also previously worked with the actor that plays Ray on Cougartown

I was really hoping she'd have some reason to encounter Ray and that she'd call him "Dime Eyes" again. 😂

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)

The Netflix link above is aimed at programs people want them to show, not programs that we hope they can save by investing large amounts of money, if enough people do respond with WC  as their choice, then that response coupled with the news that they were looking at the show anyway, gives us a glimmer of hope that the show could possibly be rescued.

Edited by OoohMaggie