Type keyword(s) to search

Whiskey Cavalier - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 5/2/2019 at 9:38 AM, AnimeMania said:

Emma, die young, and leave a good-looking corpse. Was that death pose supposed to symbolize something?

MI6 must have trained Emma on the correct posture to be in after getting shot (chin up, hands to the side, feet together, and coat opened out). A "Look good in death" edict must have been passed.

I was impressed Frankie could kick and punch in that dress without having some sort of "malfunction".

• Love 4
5 hours ago, mxc90 said:

I was impressed Frankie could kick and punch in that dress without having some sort of "malfunction".

She was taped to kingdom come.

Late to the party (got distracted by dragons) but I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. This is a show I can put the thinking cap away and just enjoy what is served (well most of the time). Hence I did not see the end reveal coming. I did however know that Ray was under those sheets. I love these two together - they're not the usual angsty ship they're the comedic relief ship and that's fine by me. 

@HighHopes: Thanks for those tweets - I was wondering about the awesome red lining on Emma's coat. Interesting that they put so much effort into wardrobe!

I also loved the handshake and was a bit upset at Tina for putting an end to it. Luckily she's evil so the handshake will hopefully stay and prosper!

No awesome cover but I guess David Bowie's Helden made up for that.

• Love 7

Until the end I was sure Emma wasn't really dead, just evil (I thought it was a fake-out to throw Will off his game).  I suppose I now believe the female baddy is Tina, but wouldn't mind a shock.  Guess I'm in the minority as I have no issue with Susan/Ray. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, msmarjoribanks said:

Guess I'm in the minority as I have no issue with Susan/Ray. 

I'm in that minority too. When I was younger I was dumped so many times by guys who preferred other women. And yet, no matter how much I wished there had been a Happily Ever After with me and the guy, I never begrudged them for choosing each other—well, not for long. But I don't think that's typical. And I think maybe we are supposed to still hate Ray. IDK. Maybe Ray will die saving someone and thereby be redeemed.

Anyway, Emma was always just there as a plot device to separate Will and Frankie temporarily.

• Love 4

I don't hate Ray, I just think he's an idiot or he just plays one on TV. To be honest, I feel compelled to point out that Ray is getting all the blame for Will & Gigi's breakup.  To be perfectly frank, Gigi should get some blame also.  Ray didn't sleep with her against her will, she was a willing partner.  I forget, were Will and Gigi engaged?  If so, that would make it doubly worse on Ray and Gigi's part.

• Love 6

Will and Gigi were engaged.  I don't think Will would have been so upset if she told him it was over, and then she and Ray got together.  But the secrecy, the lying, the going-behind-the-back--I think that's what hurt him most.  So I blame them both, since Ray was also his best friend--they both were part of the cover up, and both should have been honest with him.  Ray could have been honest too, even if it meant he told Will that Gigi was seeing him-I think Will wouldn't be so mad about that.  Though I love that Frankie is doing the best friend thing of staying mad at Ray for Will.  So Will can try to be a better person, but Ray is still being kept in the doghouse for his behavior.  She has his back, in a purely social situation, and I think that speaks more to their relationship than most of the more obvious things they have tried to do.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ailianna said:

Will and Gigi were engaged.  I don't think Will would have been so upset if she told him it was over, and then she and Ray got together.  But the secrecy, the lying, the going-behind-the-back--I think that's what hurt him most.  So I blame them both, since Ray was also his best friend--they both were part of the cover up, and both should have been honest with him.  Ray could have been honest too, even if it meant he told Will that Gigi was seeing him-I think Will wouldn't be so mad about that.  Though I love that Frankie is doing the best friend thing of staying mad at Ray for Will.  So Will can try to be a better person, but Ray is still being kept in the doghouse for his behavior.  She has his back, in a purely social situation, and I think that speaks more to their relationship than most of the more obvious things they have tried to do.

Ray was also with GiGi when Will was shot in the pilot. So because Ray was late to the mission (because he was sleeping with Will's fiancee), Will was shot and could have been killed. I think that adds another layer to the situation for Will hating Ray still. Ray not only betrayed Will, but put Will's life in jeopardy because of that betrayal. 

• Love 4
On 5/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, AnimeMania said:

Ray Prince & Susan Sampson = Raysan 

Tina and Edgar Standish = Tigar

Wait, Ray's last name is Prince?  So hilariously inappropriate, he's now stolen Will's girlfriend and slept with Will's best friend (17 and a half times!) without telling Will, his (former) supposed best friend.  He behaves like anything but a prince.

And Susan's last name is Sampson?  She's clearly Hispanic.  Or did they ever establish that she was married and divorced?  I guess she could be half and Sampson could be her dad's name, but still.

Count me in as another that doesn't really mind the concept of Ray and Susan together.  I hate that they haven't told Will, but as for the two of them getting together, I get it.  They are both attractive, both are fit and in shape, they spend a lot of time together at work, they have a lot in common to talk about (Will).  It makes sense.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

And Susan's last name is Sampson?  She's clearly Hispanic.  Or did they ever establish that she was married and divorced?  I guess she could be half and Sampson could be her dad's name, but still.

Susan did tell Frankie that she saw her ex-husband and his new fiancee out one night, so yes she is married and divorced. So I assume "Sampson" is her married name? 

• Useful 2

Susan likely has multiple degrees, earned probably before marriage. For that, I would expect her to be one of those who keep her maiden name, because a) patriarchy, and b) changing all those degrees to a married name, and back again, is a PITA.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, andipandi said:

Susan likely has multiple degrees, earned probably before marriage. For that, I would expect her to be one of those who keep her maiden name, because a) patriarchy, and b) changing all those degrees to a married name, and back again, is a PITA.

It's not likely that Susan had her degrees changed to match a marriage/divorce -- most institutions refuse to accommodate that because can you imagine how busy that department would be? Tons of alumnus, thus a lot of marriages/divorces.

44 minutes ago, andipandi said:

Exactly. So if I were her, I'd keep my maiden name so I'd match my "professional" one. So Sampson is likely not her married name.

Well no, because a lot of people don't think in advance of those things. My mother has been married four times, has three degrees and every one of them has a different last name. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 4/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, Sandman said:

Whaa? The thought of Knoll with gray chest hair is making my brain want to turn itself inside out. ("I'm not OLD! You're old..."). Erm.

As you were, friends.

Still looked damn good though! 😉

• Love 3
On 5/3/2019 at 1:23 AM, kickingnames said:

Okay, having never seen Josh Hopkins in anything before (at least not that I remember), I’m sort of starting to see the actor’s appeal — if he was playing an actually mature grown man, instead of Ray, I’d be into that. But apparently Susan is somehow into Ray as a person, not just comfort sex or whatever they’re calling that. I mean, she asked for his compliment/joke segment, which had no connection to their trysts, and she was defending him to everyone even before the hookup. Can’t blame it all on the grief.

I get that they’re telling the story through the wardrobe choices, although I did not like that red dress at all (or Frankie’s slicked hair. I did notice that, in the scene where Frankie stops Will from torching that guy and then realizes that “two of her” was not such a great idea, Will and Frankie’s outfits match. Well played, show. (ETA: those could just be their “stealth mission” outfits, but still...)

Josh Hopkins was great as Grayson on Cougar Town, a hottie playboy who falls in love with Courtney Cox's character. He was cool and sexy but also goofy and a bit of a nerd - I loved Grayson! And I'm totally on board with Susan and Ray.

Have to disagree about Frankie's dress and hair, I thought she looked amazing.

• Love 4

That ending fooled me! Go, Standish! Glad to see him be the hero of the hour for once, so to speak. Sigh. I'm gonna miss this little show once ABC does its usual and cancels it.  😞

ETA: I'm going to be so sorry for the poor guy when he finds out about Tina.

• Love 5

Will and Frankie have a full grown son! And he even learned to use their tactics against them. "He gets that from you!" Heh. They definitely have two different parenting styles. 

Now Tina knows that the student's death was faked and she's 100% going to turn that information over. Oops. 

Susan was the epitome of backwards and in heels during that fight. Love her and Jai bonding over their version of reality t.v. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I get such a kick out off this show.  Fun, clever, great dynamic between the cast — come on, ABC - renew this show!!

I'd love to see it renewed, but the overnight ratings are terrible. Only DVR gives it a boost. Sigh.

Will and Frankie have conflicting parenting styles with their grown up son, oh the drama! It was fun seeing everyone trying to do college stuff, and getting all involved in campus life and gossip and such. "I was hoping I was still cute enough that college girls would be into me." Oh Will, I dont think you've lost your mojo. 

Susan really can do anything the guys can with fabulous hair and heels! I've mentioned it before, but this show does really good fight scenes, which is something that seems easy until you see how many shows do it wrong. They're unique based on where its taking place, well shot, and the kicks and punches really do look like they HURT. Loved her and Jai getting super involved in the melodrama on campus as a very real life reality show.  

I hope that Tina doesent use the information on where the student is, or sells it off, and he gets hurt or killed. Standish will be devastated enough when all this comes out, let alone that his girlfriend got his new friend killed because of information he gave her. 

• Love 3

I enjoyed it too, more than most of the other episodes.

I can't say I saw the death fake-out coming but once the young fellow was shot, I figured it was a fake-out.  It was neat that he and Standish did that all on their own.

• Love 3

This show is so much fun.  So much more entertaining than a lot of what is on TV today.  The team has really started gelling, even Ray.  I bet the cast had so much fun with each other off set when shooting on location.  Hope it gets renewed.  I know that WC finished in the top 3 of USA Today's annual "Save Our Show" poll, so here's hoping.

I particularly loved this exchange at the beginning of the episode:

Standish:  “They're using magnets to move stuff.”

Frankie:  “Oh.  Why didn’t you just say that?”

Ray:  “Well I would have if I had understood it, but I didn’t, so I couldn’t.”

The way that Josh Hopkins delivered his line was just perfect.  So funny, and so Ray.

• Love 14

This episode is exactly why I watch this show.  Fun, good one-liners, believable and yet cool action, and the team bringing their different personalities and strengths to blend together for the mission.  I loved Jai's intro to his class.  "I am not here to answer questions."

• LOL 6
  • Love 5

Yes yes yes to all of the recent comments, but especially this one: 

21 hours ago, blackwing said:

I particularly loved this exchange at the beginning of the episode:

Standish:  “They're using magnets to move stuff.”

Frankie:  “Oh.  Why didn’t you just say that?”

Ray:  “Well I would have if I had understood it, but I didn’t, so I couldn’t.”

The way that Josh Hopkins delivered his line was just perfect.  So funny, and so Ray.

I've replayed that moment every time I've watched the episode.

Plus they mentioned on that Whiskey Cavalier podcast that Ray's niece was played by Scott Foley's daughter, which just made that whole scene even more adorable. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Ailianna said:

This episode is exactly why I watch this show.  Fun, good one-liners, believable and yet cool action, and the team bringing their different personalities and strengths to blend together for the mission.  I loved Jai's intro to his class.  "I am not here to answer questions."

This. Jai has really grown on me. Ray is starting to, but Jai is already there.

Two quibbles. First, the photo at the college. You're supposed to be secret agents playing different roles. Why are you all getting together for a photo, including w/ a new student.

And how? How are they getting back and forth b/w The Hive in London and the college in Romania? And seemingly on their lunch break. By now I shouldn't be bothered by this, but it's in every episode so it stands out.

Still, the show is a lot of fun and does have good fight scenes. Maybe it will be renewed.

1 hour ago, kickingnames said:

Plus they mentioned on that Whiskey Cavalier podcast that Ray's niece was played by Scott Foley's daughter, which just made that whole scene even more adorable.

Nice. It's like the full employment program for the entire Foley family. If the show gets renewed, maybe we'll see his parents and siblings. Or, maybe they'll change it up and each year it will be a different actor's family that will be given recurring roles.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

This. Jai has really grown on me. Ray is starting to, but Jai is already there.

Two quibbles. First, the photo at the college. You're supposed to be secret agents playing different roles. Why are you all getting together for a photo, including w/ a new student.

And how? How are they getting back and forth b/w The Hive in London and the college in Romania? And seemingly on their lunch break. By now I shouldn't be bothered by this, but it's in every episode so it stands out.

Still, the show is a lot of fun and does have good fight scenes. Maybe it will be renewed.

Nice. It's like the full employment program for the entire Foley family. If the show gets renewed, maybe we'll see his parents and siblings. Or, maybe they'll change it up and each year it will be a different actor's family that will be given recurring roles.

I thought it was strange that the college is in Romania and that all of a sudden there are four new American professors (on the same day!) who speak English and no Romanian.  It didn't seem like it was an international university for English speakers, just a regular Romanian university.  Maybe I missed a bit of intro about the university, but I'm wondering why none of the students found it odd.

And yeah, the team must be teleporting between the New York bar, the London Hive and whatever location in Europe they are in each week.  

I'd love to see Patrick Wilson (Foley's brother-in-law) guest as a baddie in (hopefully) Season 2.  Not sure what kind of terms he is on with his ex Jennifer Garner, but if they are friendly, she could guest as well... "Alias" was also on ABC.

• Love 2

If one believes Deadline, the fate of Whiskey Cavalier rests on talks with Warner Brothers. (Guessing about reducing costs?)

With the AMC zombie apocalypse series in mind, we still don’t know the fate of Whiskey Cavalier, which has once and perhaps future TWD lead Lauren Cohan as its lead along with Scandal alum Scott Foley. Talks are still going on with WBTV I hear, but if that conversation goes south, that’ll be another newbie canceled this year.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/10/2019 at 11:22 PM, WendyCR72 said:

If one believes Deadline, the fate of Whiskey Cavalier rests on talks with Warner Brothers. (Guessing about reducing costs?)

Fingers crossed, this is positive news. ABC is at least looking to find a way to make it work. Better than a straight up cancel. A follow up article on Deadline mentions that ABC is asking for major concessions as part of a renewal.  

This week's episode was my favourite one yet.  Lots of great one liners and gags. My favourite is Ray with his Rugby Pose in the group picture taken on campus.

I'm wondering if this episode was also aired out of sequence since there was no follow up to last week's reveal about Tina.  While Susan and Ray were still flirting, it felt to me like a scene that you would see before the reveal that they were together. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Thomas Crown said:

I'm wondering if this episode was also aired out of sequence since there was no follow up to last week's reveal about Tina.  While Susan and Ray were still flirting, it felt to me like a scene that you would see before the reveal that they were together. 

Yeah, I thought after Susan pointed out to Jai the body language clues that the professor and student who were sleeping togetther that they were spying on, it would come into play later when Ray and Susan were interacting with the group at the bar.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Thomas Crown said:

This week's episode was my favourite one yet.  Lots of great one liners and gags. My favourite is Ray with his Rugby Pose in the group picture taken on campus.

It did air out of order actually. This episode and next week’s were switched - which I think explains the now follow up with what happened with Emma. 

I am hoping this show gets renewed, it’s currently the only ABC show whose fate hasn’t been announced yet. 

• Love 1

I'll miss you show and your wonderful opening credits 😞

Had there a full season order, maybe Netflix or Hulu could have been a saviour.  With 13 episodes under the belt, I doubt those 2 are an option as this point. 

(edited)

Small glimmer of hope yet, Warner Bros TV is shopping the show to other outlets as per article on IMDB. Realistically, this usually never works out. A few years ago "Forever" and "Limitless" were being shopped around after cancellation and couldn't find homes. Last year "Lucifer" after being cancelled was able to find a new home on Netflix but it had 3 seasons under its belt so that certainly helped. 

Edited by Thomas Crown
spelling and revised thoughts
  • Love 3

I hope that this show manages to get picked up somewhere else, I am super bummed at its cancellation. It was such a fun, breezy kind of show that is perfect for Spring or Summer, and its so filled with tropes, that its almost revolutionary in its lack of irony. 

That is to say, it was just a fun show with good actors playing likable characters to awesome covers of song, and I am sad that it never got a chance. I mean, how do networks expect to build an audience for a show if they cancel everything so quickly?

• Love 10

If anyone hears of a campaign to save the show, let us know. When we knew it was in trouble, my husband and I watched live, commented on social media, and tried to get friends into it.  It is/was a fun, funny show. 

• Love 6

Interesting contrast in reactions from Scott Foley and his wife Marika Dominczyk (in tears) on Instagram over the cancellation of Whiskey Cavalier versus Constance Wu on Twitter over the renewal of her show. Maybe ABC can reverse decision and cancel the later while saving the former. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Thomas Crown said:

Interesting contrast in reactions from Scott Foley and his wife Marika Dominczyk (in tears) on Instagram over the cancellation of Whiskey Cavalier versus Constance Wu on Twitter over the renewal of her show. Maybe ABC can reverse decision and cancel the later while saving the former. 

Wow, I had to google that. Sometimes people should really give their twitter-fingers a rest and let the brain do its job first. 

• Love 3