Type keyword(s) to search

Whiskey Cavalier - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Early episodes were poorly shot in B&W.  Steed was a somewhat smarmy, sleazy character.  Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) didn't think much of him!

Of course, when ever I do a search for The Avengers, I get s pile of shite about some comic-book crapola....

• LOL 2

Unfortunately, Yidio.com lists season 1 of "The Avengers" as unavailable online, but season 2 is available on Tubi (Free) and Vudu starting with season 2 episode 1, "Mr. Teddy Bear" with Steed (Mcnee) and Cathy (Honor Blackman).  I may give it a spin, despite Steed's suave demeanor played as smarmy.

Episode description says, "The greatest assassin in the world is a worthy opponent for Steed, but he and Cathy find that "Mr. Teddy Bear" knows many tricks, all of them deadly...".

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just wondering what the inspiration was for WC.  I thought it might be "The Avengers' since the new opening credits reminded me of that show.  Hell, it's almost James Bond-ish in style, with those movies well known for their opening credits.

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Unfortunately, Yidio.com lists season 1 of "The Avengers" as unavailable online, but season 2 is available on Tubi (Free) and Vudu starting with season 2 episode 1, "Mr. Teddy Bear" with Steed (Mcnee) and Cathy (Honor Blackman).  I may give it a spin, despite Steed's suave demeanor played as smarmy.

Episode description says, "The greatest assassin in the world is a worthy opponent for Steed, but he and Cathy find that "Mr. Teddy Bear" knows many tricks, all of them deadly...".

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just wondering what the inspiration was for WC.  I thought it might be "The Avengers' since the new opening credits reminded me of that show.  Hell, it's almost James Bond-ish in style, with those movies well known for their opening credits.

I think this show borrows from all those old male/female led shows that had a Will they/Won't they element to it. Be it Remington Steele, Scarecrow & Mrs. King, Moonlighting, Castle, and Bones. And yeah, maybe a dash of The Avengers, too!

In the case of Remington Steele and Scarecrow & Mrs. King, they were often fighting crime at home as well as abroad, too. So WC seems to borrow heavily in terms of that criteria.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I may give it a spin, despite Steed's suave demeanor played as smarmy.

I recently watched the first handful of seasons -- the ones with HB in the female lead.  Haven't actually watched the DR episodes in years!

5 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I recently watched the first handful of seasons -- the ones with HB in the female lead.  Haven't actually watched the DR episodes in years!

Just want to say the quote this is responding to was not written by me! Quoting must be wonky again.

Just watched ‘The English Job’, Frankie’s accent was a mix between public school girl and fake cockney ‘Mockney’ as we call it, Will’s wasn’t too bad, although the MI6 agent had the stereotypical clipped accent.

There just wasn’t enough story in the show, they tried squeezing in the Harry Hewitt, American actress BS at the end and it was a case of ‘was that it?’

I think they could have used the time and money spent filming in London to achieve better results, the Ray character still doesn’t fit within the group for me, he’s just too silly even for this show

I did love Standish’s comment about the horse being on the roof.

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

You could be in another room, but when you heard the theme song, you rushed back to the living room to watch the show.  It was like a dinner bell.

I come home late at night
On the floor to turn you on
I check for tint and Technicolor
After you there is no other

They got it dead right.  You couldn't grab it off the net, so you made sure you got it live!

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 1
On 3/7/2019 at 6:31 PM, Camera One said:

The first time they referred to the "blonde", I wasn't sure who they were talking about.  

It took me a split-second but then I got it and I liked it. Her hair was bleached/dyed blonde just like 80-90% of all blondes walking around.

Well, I got to be that person: you don't bring down the British monarchy (or state) by killing #6 in the line of succession. If anything you'd strengthen public support for the monarchy by doing so. Nevertheless in real life death threats against the Royal family exist - and since the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are very popular in the US I can see why the writers chose them as targets.

I miss Olivia Lovibond so much. So I'm happy to see her back for a couple of episodes even if its within the confines of yet another darned love triangle.

I liked the pranks plot since Jai deserved it. And I also think they did a good job with Standish this episode.

And we got an international Cabal! Well done show - a sinister conspiracy suits you so much better than strained efforts to be realistic *cough*EnemyWithin*cough*

• Love 1

Finally watched "The English Job".  It was alright... pretty par on course for this unremarkable show, not great but not horrible, with a few signs of life here and there.  The Standish subplot did make sense considering he was a civilian, though it should probably have come a bit earlier.  

Knowing Episode 3 and Episode 2 were reversed makes sense now.  Standish with the gun was so irritating and it makes more sense that was supposed to be the second episode.  

On 3/28/2019 at 3:45 PM, Jacks-Son said:

If I recall correctly (Ha!), I kind of remember that they would play around with showing the back of the unintroduced Mr. Peele and from the silhouette he had a similar appearance to Steed.  Then, when they pulled a "Bewitched" and switched the lead with Linda Thorson, things got all crazy.  I remember being torn because, as every kid in my generation, I had the hots for Diana Rigg. 

Mr. Peel was believed dead and, as such, Mrs. Emma Peel was a widow. However, he was eventually discovered to be alive (he was a test pilot and had been missing presumed dead after crashing a plane in the jungle) and Mrs. Peel left the show to return to her marriage. When we saw him from behind in his one appearance as they drove away together, he did indeed look just like Steed (and was portrayed by Patrick MacNee's stunt double). Presumably, however, the marriage didn't last. When Mrs. Peel has a telephone conversation with Steed in The New Avengers and he refers to her as "Mrs. Peel", she admonishes him, saying 'I'm not Mrs. Peel any more!" Tara King (Linda Thorson) was sent by Steed's boss Mother (Patrick Newell) to replace Mrs. Peel. 

Nice to see Ophelia Lovibond again. She was fun in this as in Hooten, which has indeed been cancelled. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 3/28/2019 at 8:07 PM, chitowngirl said:

When The Avengers was shown in America, they started with the Diana Riggs episodes, so we didn’t get to see the Honor Blackman ones.

Sorry to double-post. US broadcasts actually started with the second of the two Diana Rigg seasons. The first was shot in black and white and ABC demanded that the show move to color for broadcast in the US - they put money in to cover the extra cost. You're right that the Honor Blackman shows were never aired here when new - and nor was the very first season, with Steed's original male partner, Dr. David Keel (Ian Hendry), most episodes of which are now lost. (I think maybe three still exist and a couple of audio recordings)

The Whiskey Cavalier titles are also surprisingly close in some respects to the short-lived British show By Any Means (which coincidentally came from the same team as Hooten and the Lady.)

Edited by BaskingsharkGTX
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, BaskingsharkGTX said:

Mr. Peel was believed dead and, as such, Mrs. Emma Peel was a widow. However, he was eventually discovered to be alive (he was a test pilot and had been missing presumed dead after crashing a plane in the jungle) and Mrs. Peel left the show to return to her marriage. When we saw him from behind in his one appearance as they drove away together, he did indeed look just like Steed (and was portrayed by Patrick MacNee's stunt double). Presumably, however, the marriage didn't last. When Mrs. Peel has a telephone conversation with Steed in The New Avengers and he refers to her as "Mrs. Peel", she admonishes him, saying 'I'm not Mrs. Peel any more!" Tara King (Linda Thorson) was sent by Steed's boss Mother (Patrick Newell) to replace Mrs. Peel. 

Bravo!!  👏👏👏  Excellent!!  We have a similar memory of that event, but you went above and beyond just a "Yeah, THAT happened".  You gave historical context to it.  Nicely done!  My memory is for shit and I can appreciate someone who can not only remember general crap, but the details as well.

p.s.  Don't ruin the mystery by telling us your secret to recalling something from 50+ years ago.  Let me savor the moment that it CAN be done. 😉

I want to like this show I really do, but it feels to me as if real chemistry within the cast is missing.....or something.

I find the supporting guys far more interesting than the main 2 characters and that is a problem.  I just have not connected with the leads...perhaps the level of charm present in the aforementioned The Avengers is missing.  Heck even Leverage had a great cast and what felt like a real connection.  Of course the characters in Leverage had very distinct styles and jobs, these guys feel a little interchangeable.

Maybe the problem is the writing.  I sure don't know, but I often stumble on the show  rather looking forward to it.

PS. RE: The Avengers.  About 4 years ago when the major over the air channels were allowed to buy more bandwidth, one of the sub channels showed every episode of the original  Avengers.  The Honor Blackman seasons were pretty awful.  Steed was not the  "sophisticate" and the element of snark was missing.  Also the black and white sets were basic .. sometimes looked like amateur hour.  When the Emma Peel seasons started it was a MAJOR change and the show really took off.  Heck I was a young teen girl and I loved the show.  Maybe because she was an equal partner and powerful in herself.  the Tara years never lived up and I stopped watching.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kaygeeret said:

I want to like this show I really do, but it feels to me as if real chemistry within the cast is missing.....or something.

I find the supporting guys far more interesting than the main 2 characters and that is a problem.  I just have not connected with the leads...perhaps the level of charm present in the aforementioned The Avengers is missing.  Heck even Leverage had a great cast and what felt like a real connection.  Of course the characters in Leverage had very distinct styles and jobs, these guys feel a little interchangeable.

Maybe the problem is the writing.  I sure don't know, but I often stumble on the show  rather looking forward to it.

PS. RE: The Avengers.  About 4 years ago when the major over the air channels were allowed to buy more bandwidth, one of the sub channels showed every episode of the original  Avengers.  The Honor Blackman seasons were pretty awful.  Steed was not the  "sophisticate" and the element of snark was missing.  Also the black and white sets were basic .. sometimes looked like amateur hour.  When the Emma Peel seasons started it was a MAJOR change and the show really took off.  Heck I was a young teen girl and I loved the show.  Maybe because she was an equal partner and powerful in herself.  the Tara years never lived up and I stopped watching.

I think the problem is that we have seen this same show many, many times before. Incident occurs, team is brought in, some B plot character issues, incident is resolved with the team winning each time and some resolution of the character issues. Also there is a painful shipping of the leads that have no chemistry.

Rinse-repeat.

Also, Frankie and Jai are completely unlikable. Susan is the best character and unfortunately a secondary character.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, juno said:

I think the problem is that we have seen this same show many, many times before. Incident occurs, team is brought in, some B plot character issues, incident is resolved with the team winning each time and some resolution of the character issues. Also there is a painful shipping of the leads that have no chemistry.

Rinse-repeat.

Also, Frankie and Jai are completely unlikable. Susan is the best character and unfortunately a secondary character.

I agree that Frankie is unlikeable but I think it was a refreshing change to decide to make the man the sensitive soul and the woman to be the high strung badass.  Usually in pairs like this the man is always the strong, take charge, bull in a china shop one while the woman is the intellectual and cautious voice of reason.  Here the stereotypical roles are reversed so I think that is a refreshing change.

I fully agree with you that Jai is extremely unlikeable.  I can't stand him and his petty whining.  I even like Ray way more than I do Jai.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Here the stereotypical roles are reversed so I think that is a refreshing change.

I agree with this, but sometimes I think they push super-sensitive Will a little too much, and the same for ultra-badass Frankie.  They could fill those roles well enough without overdoing it to the point of caricature!       

• Love 10

New shows often push characterization too hard, it sometimes takes a while until writers and actors have a good grip on a character without having to go all hyperbole. I'm hoping the show gets there soon with Will and Frankie.

The rest of the team is also a work in progress. Susan is definitely the best drawn character so far. And although I'm in the minority I'm starting to like Ray. Standish is on and off. Jai is definitely the one most in need of some attention. I actually liked him in the pilot when he had Frankie's back no matter what. But by now his focus starts to come across as arrogance and it's not a good look.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

I agree with this, but sometimes I think they push super-sensitive Will a little too much, and the same for ultra-badass Frankie.  They could fill those roles well enough without overdoing it to the point of caricature!       

Yeah, I find Will to be TOO sensitive and it’s off-putting to me. He reminds me of the overly sensitive version of Brendan Fraser in Bedazzled. 

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

That's my problem with them too. I hope they get a little more realistic soon.

I actually like Jai. Sure he is obnoxious, but he is not alone in that. But then I like all of them, except for the leads. Started out liking Will, but he frustrates me.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I like all of them, except for the leads.

I actually like both leads.  If they'd just stop hamming it up so bad with their 'reversed' roles.....

• Love 3

The characters have potential but they keep forcing it - teamwork, attraction, romance. Also if they use up all the spy tropes in the first season what are they ever going to do next year? Assuming of course...

• Love 1

1.6 "Five Spies and a Baby"

This was the first time I didn't fall asleep during this last-hour-of-prime-time hump day show, but that is probably because I fell asleep earlier when my cup of tea wore off, heh.

But I did like it better. Especially Standish/Tyler James Williams bit with the bear.

But am I the only one thinking the gift watch contains a spy device and Will is headed for another heartbreak? Karaoke ahead?

• Love 3

"If this was an ugly baby, would we still be doing this?" Standish asking the real questions. 

That baby was adorable and I loved everyone interacting with him, and even Jai being sad to see him go in the end. 

The scene with Will and Frankie caring for the baby was sweet. I like that Frankie shared more about herself with him and Will's "Never say never" in regards to having children one day. I cackled at Frankie calling Ray and Emma "Remma" and saying maybe they'll let him call their kid "Baby Will." 

Looks like we're in for even more tropey goodness next week!

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But am I the only one thinking the gift watch contains a spy device and Will is headed for another heartbreak? Karaoke ahead?

I am totally thinking the same thing. I want to be wrong, becuase that is one trope I don't want the show to touch. It seemed weird that she gave Ray a gift too, unless they want us to think she's trouble when she really isn't? 

This episode was.. okay. I had to stop half way through and then finish watching it an hour later so that may be it. But it didn't seem to go anywhere and was just a filler. And for a 13 episode season, there should be no filler episodes. And I just don't like babies in my shows, even temporary babies, so that might be it. 

One part I find myself enjoying each week is when Frankie and Will fight together. 

• Love 1

I dont say this often, but this show has a really good fight coordinator. All the fight scenes are really fluid and unique, they're brutal without being too gory, and they do a good job at using the locations really well. They also do a good job at having male/female fight scenes without any hand wringing over showing male characters, including good guys, hitting female characters, even ones who can kick ass. 

Fun episode, lots of nice moments and funny lines. Loved Jai and Will as Brazilian football hooligans, everyone teasing Will about Ray hanging out with his new kind of girlfriend, and of course, everyone fawning over the baby. That was a seriously cute baby!

"Remind me to never piss off a Bulgarian women." We had some nice Will and Frankie scenes, and I like that she is opening up more to him, and showing some more sides to her personality. Like I've said, its just so tropy, that its almost revolutionary! 

I am worried that Emma will turn out to be sketchy, and Will will have his poor, sensitive heart broken. again.

• Love 12

Kind of liked this episode, everything except for the Will with Emma parts, I want Emma to run off and be with Ray.

The episode was kind of violent, who knew Jai was so good with a knife. Even Standish has been brushing up on his gun skills. This leads me to the trope I hate the most, you can kill all the underlings you like, but you must always bring in the top guy alive to stand trial for their actions (Will even said that has to happen). Even though 9 times out of 10 the judge that determines his sentence is probably and old frat brother or belongs to the same country club and lets him off with a slap on the wrist.

I liked the undercover CIA lady and was hoping she and Jai would hook-up (even before the reveal that she was a good guy). I hope they don't set her up with Standish.

Not a fan of babies, so story lines where people will do anything because there is baby involved has soured many a John Woo movie for me.

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Not a fan of babies, so story lines where people will do anything because there is baby involved has soured many a John Woo movie for me.

9 hours ago, HighHopes said:

And I just don't like babies in my shows, even temporary babies, so that might be it

For those who don't want to see any babies on their screens, the scene in the orphanage-type place where they were keeping them must've been torture. I'm neutral about babies, but that scene with the crying of unseen babies went on way too long for this sort of show.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

For those who don't want to see any babies on their screens, the scene in the orphanage-type place where they were keeping them must've been torture. I'm neutral about babies, but that scene with the crying of unseen babies went on way too long for this sort of show.

Oh I am okay with babies in real life and in scenes on tv, and that orphanage scene was fine. I just don't like my characters acting like/being parents. Even when my ship is canon and married I don't want babies in the show, it just feels like it goes more towards Parenthood and if I wanted Parenthood, I would watch that show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

They made up for my hatred of babies (just kidding) by putting all those babies in unsafe conditions. Putting a ton of babies in the back of a truck without any type of seats or restraints. Putting the main baby in the front of a vehicle without a car seat or the proper restraints.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Putting a ton of babies in the back of a truck without any type of seats or restraints. Putting the main baby in the front of a vehicle without a car seat or the proper restraints.

We have people kidnapping young children and trafficking them, and committing multiple murders when necessary to facilitate these actions.  But the most terrible thing is that the children weren't provided with high standard safety restraints while being trafficked?!??

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Netfoot said:

But the most terrible thing is that the children weren't provided with high standard safety restraints while being trafficked?!??

But that was done by the good guys. Not to mention the good guys went on a murder spree this episode. How many people can you kill in an episode before you start to wonder if the good guys are still the good guys.

(edited)

No no, we can't escape from these traffickers because we don't have the correct FDA-approved 5-pt harness carseats for everybody! Rear-facing, natch!

(although yes I did wince with Jai holding the baby in the front seat 1) worst place for a baby, 2) he didn't look confident holding him, 3) was he even buckled himself... )

Edited by andipandi
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

How many people can you kill in an episode before you start to wonder if the good guys are still the good guys.

That depends.  For a one-hour episode I think the number is pretty high.  Maybe three digits.  Possibly even four, with imaginative writing!

• Love 1
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I liked the undercover CIA lady and was hoping she and Jai would hook-up (even before the reveal that she was a good guy). I hope they don't set her up with Standish.

I was especially amused with the interactions as she is Scott Foley's wife IRL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'm going to have to read these postings in order before I really chime in, but my quick assessment is: WTF is wrong with babies on screen?  I think people who hate babies on screen actually LOVE babies, they just don't want to see them placed in dangerous situations.  Awww, let's repress those feelings of adorableness.  😁  The human trafficking guys deserved to be put down like ducks in a shooting gallery, so I had no problem with the outcome nor how it was achieved. I have a VERY large immediate family with plenty of babies around so I'm sort of used to them. Obviously, YMMV.

My problem with this episode is that the writers, director, and show runner have managed to negate any chemistry between the leads.  I now see zero chemistry between them AND I"M A SHIPPER BY NATURE.  I think Lauren Cohan lacks the range to emote,  although her character is being whipped around.  Her attempts at ribbing Will with Ray/Emma snide comments were horrible, there was no subtlety at all.  That's NOT how you tease someone, and the fact that she felt the need to pull Will's "ponytail" is supposed to be indicative of how she really feels, but this show or the actress has trouble acting that out. Will feeling nervous about Ray and Emma being together is just plain silly.  Six days of dating and you're already insecure???  About Ray??  Mr. Guess what's in the box, uhhh, a doorknob?  Who wrote this crap?

And now, they're going to finally air episode #4, where the two actually start to "connect"?  There's no actual progression with this show as is.  How can they sell any connection between the leads when they're airing this high school shit AND out of order??

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

But that was done by the good guys. Not to mention the good guys went on a murder spree this episode. How many people can you kill in an episode before you start to wonder if the good guys are still the good guys.

Watching Hawaii Five-0 for the past couple of years has been a good training for handwaving such ethical details . On a more serious note: I watch this like I'd watch a cartoon - the bad guys had it coming, might as well drop a piano on them!

Oh show, I wanted to rip you apart for being too tropy, for completely ignoring jurisdictional and diplomatic issues, for feeding stereotypes, for letting your characters behave like idiots (who goes for a morning run in an unknown forest with a corrupt local police officer and a fierce mercenary looking for you???) - but then I realized that by the end of this episode I had huge smile on my face for the first time after some tough days. So I'll let others give you a hard time - from me it's just tight hugs for:

• Giving me more Olivia Lovibod being great (not listening to the tiny voice about trackers in jewelry). I loved her conversation with Ray.
  • Frankie and Susan being good friends - not tropey here at all. 
  • Frankie giving sound advice to Will.
  • Frankie not being baby-adverse - another trope averted.
  • Awesome music - as usual.
  • Awesome fight scenes, especially the ones with Tina.
  • Tina who's also awesome and almost a scene stealer. I enjoyed Standish's insta-crush on her. Hope to see her again and since Marika Dominczyk is married to Foley the chances are good.
  • Ray's diary.

So yeah - we're good.

Edited by MissLucas
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

@andipandi:. Emma gave Ray a journal for his thoughts. He thought she had bought him a book he had to read. Something he didn't want to read but was elated when he found out the pages were blank.  This guy is a spy?  

Edited by Jacks-Son
(edited)
19 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This leads me to the trope I hate the most, you can kill all the underlings you like, but you must always bring in the top guy alive to stand trial for their actions (Will even said that has to happen). Even though 9 times out of 10 the judge that determines his sentence is probably and old frat brother or belongs to the same country club and lets him off with a slap on the wrist.

This bothered me too, especially after that extensive shoot-em-up scene including Standish suddenly being okay to shoot someone in cold blood after an episode where he was scared to go out into the field.  If anyone deserved to die, it was the corrupt police chief running the whole operation.

That undercover agent had been in that position for years but needed to wait for random back-up to show?  I thought they were going for a thing with Jai, but it switched halfway through the episode to Standish?  Huh?

I like the actress who plays Susan from "Ugly Betty" but I find the Susan character to be as lacking in development as everyone else.  All the banter and heart-to-hearts between the characters don't work for me... it just sounds like a hollow way to try to convince us that they are starting to feel like a team.

This episode was a tad better than last week, though I'm still mostly meh on the show.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

I think people who hate babies on screen actually LOVE babies, they just don't want to see them placed in dangerous situations.

It is not that, it is the trope where if there is a baby involved the good guy will do anything no matter how dangerous it is to save the baby and of course they will be victorious. It is just an unbreakable rule of TV/Movies. When I see the good guy with a baby, I just turn my mind off, because no matter how ridiculous the odds are, everything is going to be alright.

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

(who goes for a morning run in an unknown forest with a corrupt local police officer and a fierce mercenary looking for you???)

I was just appreciating the outfit, the whole episode could have been her jogging around the forest and I would have been happy. She was great in "Devious Maids".