Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Alligator Tears

• Start Topic

HaHaHa!  

Here is an actual synopsis:

Barry attempts to make amends after Reagan's jewelry launch party; the group sets sail on a bayou boat trip; Tamica makes a questionable apology; Jared opens up about his life in order to bring everyone together.

• Love 3
(edited)

Looks like Tamica is the narcissist in this group - really Bravo, can’t we have one show without one of these creeps?!

Edit: Tamica did show empathy on the boat. Powerful scene.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 7
(edited)

HA! Love dem doin’ da bayou talk!

oops, make that bayah!

Living in New Orleans, we’d try to copy the bayou accent too - such a wonderful smooth sound, but hard to do.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 4

I really liked Jared and what he said during the boat ride. That was a powerful moment.

I did laugh at everyone in their talking heads waiting for Tamica to just apologize.

I also liked Rachel (is that right?) telling Reagan straight out that she will probably be divorced if she moves to the French Quarter alone.

So far I think I am enjoying this cast far more than the original recipe Southern Charm cast.

• Love 11

I want the full backstory on Benny "Poppins": his bio, how he came to work for Nicelle, the dirt he has on the cast, and perhaps a bonus commentary track to accompany the episodes.  His eyeroll after the ladies ignored his offer of hot sauce at the brunch made the episode.  And, for the record, I'm not entirely sure Nicelle is a real person; she very well could be a performance art piece by Lennon Parham or Mary Lyn Rajskub.

So does Tamika really just think that Gian and Barry have something going on?  She is such a bitch to Gian, and we haven't seen anything that warrants her level of vitriol toward Gian.  Tamika and Reagan are just a little too camera eager; Reagan kinda broke the fourth wall there a bit when she gave Tamika a "tag line."  

The state tourism board must have sunk some money into this production, aside from filming tax credits.  Swamp tours now, a plantation next week....they may end up trekking to Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials in Winnfield before this season is over. LOL!

• Love 15
8 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I really liked Jared and what he said during the boat ride. That was a powerful moment.

I did laugh at everyone in their talking heads waiting for Tamica to just apologize.

I also liked Rachel (is that right?) telling Reagan straight out that she will probably be divorced if she moves to the French Quarter alone.

So far I think I am enjoying this cast far more than the original recipe Southern Charm cast.

The cast on this show is more interesting than the current cast of Southern Charm, which has become the Naomi show.   I don’t hate Reagan.   I’m having a hard time following her motives with regard to her husband, but I do like her having no problem calling Tamika out on her bs.   

Jared’s speech was very moving.   

I’ve never been to New Orleans, but this show is doing a nice job of showing us the city.   

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I would watch a show centered around Jared and Benny Poppins as they fix people's lives through sound advice, food and drink.

I’m trying to understand Benny Poppins and his bosslady; they give me a whiff of being a bit contrived, right down to his cutesy nickname and his personalized apron. I get that they’re likely this show’s answer to the grand dame Patricia and her martini-mixing butler Michael, but hopefully they’ll start showing some more natural flair as they appear on this season.

Who knew Jared would actually be the most likable dude on this cast after his cringeworthy first impressions on the promo? Good for him and his wise views on life in general.

Tamica really is all about Tamica. She really needs to get over herself and get humble.

Jon can just continue to stay mostly silent per episode. Just stand to the side, wear a proper shirt and look pretty.

I feel so sorry for Reagan’s husband; poor guy got his brain all bruised and then his disgusting family stole his money and his shrill wife wants to spend the week away from him. He deserves better because he seems like a sweet dude. When he’s not drunkenly wandering around in swampland, of course.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Sun-Bun said:

I feel so sorry for Reagan’s husband; poor guy got his brain all bruised and then his disgusting family stole his money and his shrill wife wants to spend the week away from him. He deserves better because he seems like a sweet dude. When he’s not drunkenly wandering around in swampland, of course.

I feel the same way about Jeff he seems like a sweet guy.

1.   He needs a complete physical evaluation.  Although I would image if he has these fears about brain injury he would have already had one.

2.  He needs a good psychiatrist or therapist whom I assume would insist on the physical work up at the get go.  I’m glad he’s going to try this.

3.  Why in the world aren’t they taking legal action against his family for the money they have taken from him?  There has to be a paper trail and his relationship can’t be made much worse by taking them to trial.   If they were, why would Reagan be running her mouth about the issue in front of the group.  

4.  I don’t know why they ever moved so far out of The French Quarter in the first place but Reagan needing a pied-a-terre is bull.  I drove 1 hour there and back to work for over 20 years with 2 kids and made it work.  Go study at a library before or after class to avoid the heavy traffic hours.  Or stop implying it is her place only, not Jeff’s.  She is really going to hurt him by doing this.

Jeff is far too fragile to feel betrayal from his wife as well as his family.  If she loves him her support and his well being is the most important thing.  Not the jewelry line or the law career.

2 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

1.   He needs a complete physical evaluation.  Although I would image if he has these fears about brain injury he would have already had one.

2.  He needs a good psychiatrist or therapist whom I assume would insist on the physical work up at the get go.  I’m glad he’s going to try this.

3.  Why in the world aren’t they taking legal action against his family for the money they have taken from him?  There has to be a paper trail and his relationship can’t be made much worse by taking them to trial.   If they were, why would Reagan be running her mouth about the issue in front of the group.  

4.  I don’t know why they ever moved so far out of The French Quarter in the first place but Reagan needing a pied-a-terre is bull.  I drove 1 hour there and back to work for over 20 years with 2 kids and made it work.  Go study at a library before or after class to avoid the heavy traffic hours.  Or stop implying it is her place only, not Jeff’s.  She is really going to hurt him by doing this.

Jeff is far too fragile to feel betrayal by his wife as well as his family.  If she loves him her support and his well being is the most important thing.  Not the jewelry line or the law career.

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

This has been bugging me since we first learned the story.  Further, if what the mom did was tell the bank that she was Jeff's wife in order to take his money, there is onus on the bank to verify ID.  He should go after the bank as well. Why he didn't sue the mom and the bank for conversion (i.e., the civil court version of theft) as well as press criminal charges is beyond me since the family isn't talking to him anyway.  Furthermore, conversion is covered in L1 torts, so Reagan should freakin' know this since she's allegedly at the top of her class.

• Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

This has been bugging me since we first learned the story.  Further, if what the mom did was tell the bank that she was Jeff's wife in order to take his money, there is onus on the bank to verify ID.  He should go after the bank as well. Why he didn't sue the mom and the bank for conversion (i.e., the civil court version of theft) as well as press criminal charges is beyond me since the family isn't talking to him anyway.  Furthermore, conversion is covered in L1 torts, so Reagan should freakin' know this since she's allegedly at the top of her class.

Me too.

First of all when did Jeff and Reagan get married? I don't understand how/why momma had her hooks in the finances in the first place.

Secondly - I get the feeling Jeff was an "ok" player - did he get all his money up front in some big signed contract? I mean I just heard Matt Ryan got  five-year, $150 million contract extension with $100 million guaranteed, surely we're not talking that kind of money..

Third - He should be seeing help from the agencies that are doing studies/medical services in connection with the NFL/retired players/ injured players/etc. He is parading around as if he is all alone. I'm not saying sue the NFL - as he kinda admitted that he's been playing since 5, but do use them for medical purposes. Rodney Peete is in charge of one of the studies (his family  show highlight a few scenes)- he was  a close friend a player who committed suicide - Junior Seau, 

I would admit I was a little scared when he had his "eposide" last week after the naked-single-women-painting party. Wondering the woods at 1-2 am? refusing to get in the car? the next scene -next day , looked like he messed in his clothes?

What was the nfl-player husbands name whose wife was on the boat and talked to Reagan afterwards - who is also showing since of brain injury ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I want the full backstory on Benny "Poppins": his bio, how he came to work for Nicelle, the dirt he has on the cast, and perhaps a bonus commentary track to accompany the episodes.  His eyeroll after the ladies ignored his offer of hot sauce at the brunch made the episode.  And, for the record, I'm not entirely sure Nicelle is a real person; she very well could be a performance art piece by Lennon Parham or Mary Lyn Rajskub.

So does Tamika really just think that Gian and Barry have something going on?  She is such a bitch to Gian, and we haven't seen anything that warrants her level of vitriol toward Gian.  Tamika and Reagan are just a little too camera eager; Reagan kinda broke the fourth wall there a bit when she gave Tamika a "tag line."  

The state tourism board must have sunk some money into this production, aside from filming tax credits.  Swamp tours now, a plantation next week....they may end up trekking to Uncle Earl's Hog Dog Trials in Winnfield before this season is over. LOL!

Benny Poppins.  I didn't want to but I giggled.  

Nicelle seems like a sweetie, right?   I love a girl who loves to home brunch and I think I'd officially like to be wealthy enough to have "staff".  One of her guests jettisoned from the table and chile those manners did not disappoint.  She smiled and told her it was lovely of you to come, next time the 5th chair will be a therapist.   While showing all 32.   Southern nicety makes me smile always.  But later, during Tamika's nonpology tour, she lost me describing her get together idea.   Let's go on a swamp tour.  Mkay. I wasn't even really listening to be honest.   You know it'll be like an out of Africa thing/(theme?) {{pausingmidtraderjoe'ssnack}} it'll be nice, we'll be on a boat so nobody can run away or leave.    I was stuck.  I said girl did you just say something bout black folk on a boat.....out of Africa....no escaping.    Lawd, that audio. 

tumblr_ma628lRwNr1rcg3xpo1_500.gif&key=6

Initially I thought Tamika was just a garden variety mean girl.   One of the pretties.   Chiiiiiile.  That chick is rotten thoo and thoo.   To her core.   I didn't see last week's episode, except to catch the "previously on SCNO" in the intro to this episode.   I agree with ole boy who called her insecure.   She describes Gian as wanting her life but can't help sounding as though she's overflowing with envy for Gian.   You can't say you're not threatened by a woman then treat her like a threat.  It's beyond nuisance-y if she could wave a magic wand and make this woman disappear, she would.    Now.  That having been said, that doesn't mean Gian don't want her man.  The thing Tamika is jealous of is she's Barry's confidante.  He loves his wife, but he respects Gian.  

Most nod/shadeworthy line of the episode came from Jon - how you get to be this age and don't know how to apologize?  

hqdefault.jpg

Jared shutting the conversation down - all the pins dropping.     I was near tears.

5 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I’m trying to understand Benny Poppins and his bosslady; they give me a whiff of being a bit contrived, right down to his cutesy nickname and his personalized apron. I get that they’re likely this show’s answer to the grand dame Patricia and her martini-mixing butler Michael, but hopefully they’ll start showing some more natural flair as they appear on this season.

Who knew Jared would actually be the most likable dude on this cast after his cringeworthy first impressions on the promo? Good for him and his wise views on life in general.

Tamica really is all about Tamica. She really needs to get over herself and get humble.

Jon can just continue to stay mostly silent per episode. Just stand to the side, wear a proper shirt and look pretty.

In my head, I hear you say this channeling Lisa Vanderpump.   And it's funny as shit! 

Rachel touched me as well.   Reagan done already paid her dues, we're the ones who don't understand.  She's here to finish her degree, collect half of those assets, put Jeff in hospice and work on her second husband.  Can ya'll please just let her cheat in peace? damn.  Lol.

Edited by ZaldamoWilder
because: what's an epidose?
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, sATL said:

First of all when did Jeff and Reagan get married? I don't understand how/why momma had her hooks in the finances in the first place.

2012. Jeff didn't play for long and was undrafted so he never made a ton.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Lizzing said:

Benny Poppins is the best!  The faces he made, the eye rolls- I was dying!  

Wow - you are so right - Nicelle is a dead ringer for both of them!  

4 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I am thinking that there isn't anything to get back from the family.  They probably spent it, and if Jeff sued them, he would never get the full amount back.  He should press charges and have them go to jail, but he seems to be such a sweet man, he probably doesn't want to do that to his family, no matter how evil they are.

I was curious about Jeff's income, so I googled.  I found this terrible article on Bustle (I don't know much about this website, never been there before, but they need a proofreader for starters).  The article was trying to make it seem like the cast is super wealthy - here is an excerpt -

All of these people must have money to burn, or they wouldn't have been asked to participate in a franchise that's famous for showcasing the lifestyles of the rich. It's also worth noting that the median list price for a home in New Orleans is $320,000, according to Zillow, so even to own a home in this city, you have to have a healthy bank account.

Ok, do they know that Bravo regularly casts people with NO MONEY on these shows?  I believe we are meant to laugh at the fact that they are trying really hard to appear to have money!

Also, in what world is $320,000 a lot for a house?  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Ok, do they know that Bravo regularly casts people with NO MONEY on these shows?  I believe we are meant to laugh at the fact that they are trying really hard to appear to have money!

Seriously the first episode Barry and Tamika moved themselves to the new house which doesn't scream money to burn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I do not know the age ranges between this cast and the original recipe SC cast, but I find this cast (so far) seems so much more adult than original recipe SC. They do have their issues and bad behavior, but I am so relieved I do not have to watch any of the men put on some tight white pants to go on the prowl for younger women. Of course, some of this probably has to do with most of the cast being married or in longterm relationships. The conversation on the boat was great, especially what Jared said. I just cannot imagine the SC cast having that sort of conversation. I just find this group so refreshing compared to regular SC. Of course that could change as the season goes on, but I am enjoying this group a lot.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Emmeline said:

I think forgery is a Federal crime. If his mother did sign his name he may not want the guilt of having her thrown in jail. Reagan is still hot under the collar about this issue, and why bring it up in what’s supposed to be a happy gathering of friends to enjoy good food and drinks together? Does she really need the attention? That’s a horrible no win situation for him. 

As a broadcaster why ever did Tamica sign up for this? It doesn’t seem like good press tho they say bad press is better than no press. Either be your husband’s wife or let the man loose so he have sex. (I’m sure there’s a more polite way of saying that, so I’m sorry if it came out bluntly).

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Benny Poppins.  I didn't want to but I giggled.  

Nicelle seems like a sweetie, right?   I love a girl who loves to home brunch and I think I'd officially like to be wealthy enough to have "staff".  One of her guests jettisoned from the table and chile those manners did not disappoint.  She smiled and told her it was lovely of you to come, next time the 5th chair will be a therapist.   While showing all 32.   Southern nicety makes me smile always.  But later, during Tamika's nonpology tour, she lost me describing her get together idea.   Let's go on a swamp tour.  Mkay. I wasn't even really listening to be honest.   You know it'll be like an out of Africa thing/(theme?) {{pausingmidtraderjoe'ssnack}} it'll be nice, we'll be on a boat so nobody can run away or leave.    I was stuck.  I said girl did you just say something bout black folk on a boat.....out of Africa....no escaping.    Lawd, that audio. 

I don't think Tamika knows that Out of Africa is a movie.  And that theme works!  I know it is a movie from the 80s, but it shouldn't be too obscure a reference for someone who looks to be in her 40s.

• Love 4

Count me in as a regular viewer of the Benny Poppins and Jared spin-off show. I don’t think Benny Poppins likely calls HIMSELF Benny Poppins. I think the “mistress of the house” (don’t know her name) made it up, had an apron made, and insists that everyone call him Benny Poppins—at all times. Benny is NOT having ANY of it. Not only was he rolling his eyes left and right during the luncheon, but when Tamika said for him to make whatever, she’s not hard to please, Benny Poppins sassed her under his breath, and did similarly while serving the lady of the house. Poor Michael the Butler is being borrowed out to go massage people’s feet with nary a complaint but Benny Poppins can’t serve a drink without backtalk. Know your place, Benny Poppins! Lol. But maybe that also feeds into the idea that these people aren’t THAT rich. Any day now Benny Poppins the sassy servant will have enough Insta and Twitter followers of his own to become internet famous and shill his recipes with sponsored alcohol endorsements. Joke’s on you, lady. But, really, I keep waiting to find out Benny Poppins is really this lady’s cousin or something. Or maybe he just hires him when the ladies are coming over. I can’t imagine he spends day and night making alcoholic coffee while this lady sits around doing nothing—unlike Michael the Butler, has martini mallet, will travel.

• Love 9
(edited)

Damn, Gian wasn't playing. No "do better next time" for Barry.

WAY too much Tamica and her "I JUST SPEAK TRUTH". I won't be able to keep watching if it stays at that level. I also feel kind of uncomfortable watching the Jeff/Rachel's husband stuff. CTE and early dementia are way too serious for a mindless (no pun intended) confection of a show like this. 

Gotta admit, I snorted at what I perceived to be Nichelle's utter obliviousness to how her "Out of Africa" theme was landing with T. She was like a caricature of a clueless white lady. :)

Several years back while staying at Disney World, I met a fellow from the bayou by the hotel pool. I was fascinated by his dialect, especially his recurrent use of the phrase "by the house", which I inferred by context to mean "in one's neck of the woods." I seriously could have listened to him for hours.

Edited by bref
  • Love 2

Jared seems like a lovely person. For all the time Tamica spends with him, how come his niceness hasn't rubbed off on her? Thinking that she's only a truth teller is delusional. You can't speak someone else's truth. She's so conceited that she couldn't recognize the very obvious signs that Justin didn't want to talk to her about his relationship and then she turned around and used his nonchalent approach with her against him to cause trouble in his relationship. The fact that she can't apologize...you need some humble pie lady.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, someone wouldn't understand how insulting and offensive it is to call a gay man the word that Barry used. But I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. He does seem genuinely sorry about what he did and I think his own relationship and respect for Jared provides a perspective that will make the lesson hopefully a memorable one.

I don't believe that Reagan has good intentions for her husband. I think Reagan wants to remove herself from her marriage and hope that her husband figures himself out and then she can just return to how things used to be. She doesn't want to be part of any of the hard work when tough times have come and he needs her support more than ever. The fact that Rachel told her she would be putting her marriage in danger if she moved out and she tried to differentiate the situation by saying that Jeff was a high functioning person - come on! The man is potentially going through physical brain trauma and he's dealing with emotional and psychological trauma from his own issues with his family and you think that being the only source of support he has isn't going to affect him negatively if you up and leave?

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

I don't believe that Reagan has good intentions for her husband. I think Reagan wants to remove herself from her marriage and hope that her husband figures himself out and then she can just return to how things used to be.

I think Reagan is just all about Reagan—-typical spoiled rich girl who has enjoyed the highs of being a successful football WAG until the going got tough and Jeff retired and started to heavily rely upon her both physically and emotionally. I just don’t think she appears mature or compassionate enough towards him to be that strong rock that he obviously needs. She obviously didn’t realize just how much of a hands on wife and caretaker she’d need to be for Jeff as he aged, and it’s sad to watch; coupled with his whole family money mess, she strikes me as someone just trying to distance herself from her husband at this time for her own sanity, basically choosing to run away and escape from these problems as opposed to merely facing and dealing with them.

She’s obviously never had to experience truly trying, difficult times and adverse situations until now, and it shows. I hope they somehow make it and that all this strife is just for show, but we shall see—-as we saw last week, she fights ugly and often belittles him, so I have my doubts.

• Love 10
20 hours ago, ZaldamoWilder said:

Initially I thought Tamika was just a garden variety mean girl.   One of the pretties.   Chiiiiiile.  That chick is rotten thoo and thoo.   To her core.   I didn't see last week's episode, except to catch the "previously on SCNO" in the intro to this episode.   I agree with ole boy who called her insecure.   She describes Gian as wanting her life but can't help sounding as though she's overflowing with envy for Gian.   You can't say you're not threatened by a woman then treat her like a threat.  It's beyond nuisance-y if she could wave a magic wand and make this woman disappear, she would.    Now.  That having been said, that doesn't mean Gian don't want her man.  The thing Tamika is jealous of is she's Barry's confidante.  He loves his wife, but he respects Gian.  

Most nod/shadeworthy line of the episode came from Jon - how you get to be this age and don't know how to apologize?  

hqdefault.jpg

If I could thank this post a thousand times, I would. SPOT ON! 

19 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

In New Orleans, that's a lot for a house. The post-Katrina gentrification is to blame. 5 years ago, you could easily get a starter home in NOLA for under $100k. Now, homes that are run down and in bad neighborhoods are going for $200k+. It's insane. 

• Love 4
18 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't think Tamika knows that Out of Africa is a movie.  And that theme works!  I know it is a movie from the 80s, but it shouldn't be too obscure a reference for someone who looks to be in her 40s.

In which case she should've been especially offended lol.    Respectfully, I don't think it does work.   She got her references jumbled up.  Out of Africa was the Streep/Redford flick about a broken marriage that took place on dry land.   What Nicelle was going for (says me) was the Hepbrun/Bogart riverboat movie where they're sweating their asses off and swatting flies slow rolling down the Zambezi or some shit.  That movie is called African Queen.     

If I were Tamica I wouldn'tve even tried to make it a thing, but all in all, I would tell my friend off camera, maybe don't put those references together in a sentence unless you're a stand up comedian.    Girl I don't know if you and I are age compatible but I used to do this to my ex all the time.  He's 38 and I'd say something like you don't know who John Hughes is??  Pretty in Pink, Breakfast Club?  Shit have you ever heard of Molly Ringwold?  He'd know but he would just stare at me to be annoying.   But the pop culture references I was making were from my teenagehood........when he was 7.    Tamika is 39, that movie came out when she was in first grade lol.  We old boo.  

• Love 11

I actually love that every single person was willing to call out their friends for inappropriate language, behavior or planned living arrangements. Not one person supported or excused the homophobic slur.

I got engaged in law school. We specifically never actually lived together during this time because there were times I just needed to be alone. Basically during finals, or studying for the bar, I wanted to be able to be entirely selfish. I wanted to eat whenever, sleep whenever, just not have to care at all about another person. If we had been married, I would have found some way to make it work. She doesn't need three nights alone, every single week. Just make clear rules like "this is not a party pad." Or during finals week(s) I would like alone time.

• Love 3
On 5/7/2018 at 4:58 AM, AttackTurtle said:

The cast on this show is more interesting than the current cast of Southern Charm, which has become the Naomi show.   I don’t hate Reagan.   I’m having a hard time following her motives with regard to her husband, but I do like her having no problem calling Tamika out on her bs.   

Jared’s speech was very moving.   

I’ve never been to New Orleans, but this show is doing a nice job of showing us the city.   

I have been once and I loved the city.  It has a cool feel to it.

• Love 1

Jared is just lovely.  It must have been so hard for him to sit there listening without losing his shit completely.  I just hope what he said really sunk in. 

Am I the only person thinking of Chapelle's skit,  "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" while listening to Tamica repeat, on a loop,  "I was just telling the truth!!!"

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/8/2018 at 12:01 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Out of Africa was the Streep/Redford flick about a broken marriage that took place on dry land.   What Nicelle was going for (says me) was the Hepbrun/Bogart riverboat movie where they're sweating their asses off and swatting flies slow rolling down the Zambezi or some shit.  That movie is called African Queen.     

On 5/7/2018 at 5:19 PM, heatherchandler said:

I don't think Tamika knows that Out of Africa is a movie. 

I think that lady (I don’t know her name so I keep calling her “the lady”)—Benny Poppins’ boss—ONLY speaks in movie cliches. Between this African Queen/Out of Africa party and the Gone with the Wind/Wiz thing and the Benny Poppins as a take on Mary Poppins, it’s getting a little disturbing. I don’t think she knows how to speak of anything but old movies and alcoholic hot breakfast beverages. I’m picturing her raised in front of some old rabbit-ear B&W TV with little to no interaction with the outside world—or actual humans for that matter. Either that or maybe it will be revealed at series’ end that she’s some elaborate AI bot created by Amazon or Netflix. Maaaybe with some cross sponsorship with Starbucks since there’s a heck of lot of tea and coffee being served around there. I’m also waiting with bated breath for her to ask Benny Poppins for “a spoonful of sugar” for her tea/coffee.

Edited by JenE4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 5/7/2018 at 12:14 AM, Mint Julep said:

I’m trying to identify some of the locations in this episode. Looks like they went to Restaurant des Familles after the swamp tour. That place is crawling with gators.

My niece played softball for Pontiff (the park where Barry & Gian met to talk), and I ran track there back in the day when it was called Metairie Playground.  The restaurant where the guys met for lunch is now closed, I think. I can't remember the name off hand, but if it is the one I am thinking of it's closed. I saw the restaurant Tameka & Jared met at when I was at the Southern Yacht Club, which overlooks it, Sunday, but I don't know the name. 

I'm just glad they didn't id Justin's house as being in Gentilly Parish again, because no such place. Gentilly is a neighborhood in New Orleans, which is in Orleans Parish (and you may pronounce Orleans with a long e in the name of the parish, but not, never, ever, in the name of the city). 

On 5/7/2018 at 4:42 AM, Lizzing said:

I want the full backstory on Benny "Poppins": his bio, how he came to work for Nicelle, the dirt he has on the cast, and perhaps a bonus commentary track to accompany the episodes. 

I am convinced that Benny Poppins is a construct for the show. But he is awesome, and I would watch the hell out of a Benny/Jared show. 

On 5/7/2018 at 9:21 AM, Emmeline said:

2. TBH, I have no use for the profession because the 2 therapists I know personally are 2 of the worst human beings I have ever had the displeasure to know. However, I cannot comprehend how even a good therapist (I will concede that there must be some good ones) would agree to have sessions televised, even if their client gives their consent. 

3. I think I would definitely take legal action. The fact that it was family makes the betrayal even worse, and even if the money is gone, there needs to be accountability on their part. 

4. I agree - total bull. And the Quarter is not especially close to Elle Woods'  Reagan's law school. 

On 5/7/2018 at 12:40 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

Rachel touched me as well.   Reagan done already paid her dues, we're the ones who don't understand.  She's here to finish her degree, collect half of those assets, put Jeff in hospice and work on her second husband.  Can ya'll please just let her cheat in peace? damn.  Lol.

Tameka & Gian are the very definition of frenemies. Mostly all on Tameka's side, which makes it all the more delicious. 

ITA agree about Reagan. She was happy to nab a Super Bowl-winning Saint, but now that real life is rearing its head, little miss can't deal. Rachel is the epitome of "for better or worse, in sickness & in health". Strong woman, and I admire her so much.  

On 5/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, ZaldamoWilder said:

What Nicelle was going for (says me) was the Hepbrun/Bogart riverboat movie where they're sweating their asses off and swatting flies slow rolling down the Zambezi or some shit.  That movie is called African Queen.     

That's exactly what we thought. 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:26 PM, NYCFree said:

I actually love that every single person was willing to call out their friends for inappropriate language, behavior or planned living arrangements. Not one person supported or excused the homophobic slur.

yes!!

• Love 4

I saw it asked above so restaurants in this episode:

The guys are eating at Amici which was located on Magazine Street but has been closed since last year. It was bought and ruined before it closed unfortunately. 

Tamica and Jared are eating at Brisbi's which is on the lakefront in Lakeview. (Yummy fried provolone!)

The champagne hour after the swamp tour is being served in front of Restaurant des Familles. It is located in Crown Point about 45 minutes outside of the city. I've eaten there twice, food is decent. It overlooks some swamp area in the back which is neat.

• Love 3

I'm enjoying this series!   Great cast with great stories, and it's really nice to see "white" and "black" people socializing as equals!  I'm sure more drama will unfold, but I hope that piece of it stays constant.

• Love 4
(edited)
On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:19 PM, sATL said:

Snip

What was the nfl-player husbands name whose wife was on the boat and talked to Reagan afterwards - who is also showing since of brain injury ?

Mike McKenzie.  It's sad to hear about his condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McKenzie_(American_football)

19 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I'm just glad they didn't id Justin's house as being in Gentilly Parish again, because no such place. Gentilly is a neighborhood in New Orleans, which is in Orleans Parish (and you may pronounce Orleans with a long e in the name of the parish, but not, never, ever, in the name of the city). 

snip

IKR.  I realize I'm picking nits here, but the restaurant where Tamica and Jared ate is at the Lakefront--Lakeside is a shopping mall in the suburbs.  Nicelle's house doesn't look like any building I've ever seen in Treme.  And I'm pretty sure that art party last week was in English Turn, not Belle Chasse.  Those two places aren't even in the same parish.  Why wouldn't they pass these kinds of things by some kind of local consultant and get them right.  (Producers--call me!!)

Edited by SoTheresThat
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, SoTheresThat said:

Mike McKenzie.  It's sad to hear about his condition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McKenzie_(American_football)

IKR.  I realize I'm picking nits here, but the restaurant where Tamica and Jared ate is at the Lakefront--Lakeside is a shopping mall in the suburbs.  Nicelle's house doesn't look like any building I've ever seen in Treme.  And I'm pretty sure that art party last week was in English Turn, not Belle Chasse.  Those two places aren't even in the same parish.  Why wouldn't they pass these kinds of things by some kind of local consultant and get them right.  (Producers--call me!!)

Dr. Toothbrush & I have said all of the above...lol! 

Sad about Mike McKenzie, but I am glad he got a SB ring. We still have the DVR with the game hooked up even though we upgraded a few years ago. What an awesome day!!! 

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Its in Fairgrounds. 

Thank you. Convenient for Jazz Fest, but I'm sure also a nightmare. We were thinking the house would not be out of place on Esplanade Ave. 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2018 at 8:57 PM, Mint Julep said:

The Fairgrounds is a race course located in the Gentilly neighborhood where Jazz Fest is held.

The Fairgrounds is also the name of a neighborhood in the city. 

• Love 1
On 5/7/2018 at 2:36 PM, heatherchandler said:

Benny Poppins is the best!  The faces he made, the eye rolls- I was dying!  

Wow - you are so right - Nicelle is a dead ringer for both of them!  

I am thinking that there isn't anything to get back from the family.  They probably spent it, and if Jeff sued them, he would never get the full amount back.  He should press charges and have them go to jail, but he seems to be such a sweet man, he probably doesn't want to do that to his family, no matter how evil they are.

I was curious about Jeff's income, so I googled.  I found this terrible article on Bustle (I don't know much about this website, never been there before, but they need a proofreader for starters).  The article was trying to make it seem like the cast is super wealthy - here is an excerpt -

All of these people must have money to burn, or they wouldn't have been asked to participate in a franchise that's famous for showcasing the lifestyles of the rich. It's also worth noting that the median list price for a home in New Orleans is $320,000, according to Zillow, so even to own a home in this city, you have to have a healthy bank account.

It sounds like you're doing really well to think $320,000 isn't a lot for a house, but for most Americans it is.  The home ownership rate in America is 62.4%.  The median home price is around $200,000.  The median income is around $60,000.

• Love 3
On 5/18/2018 at 1:29 PM, Talented Tenth said:

It sounds like you're doing really well to think $320,000 isn't a lot for a house, but for most Americans it is.  The home ownership rate in America is 62.4%.  The median home price is around $200,000.  The median income is around $60,000.

Seriously.

It also is dependent on where you live. Here in NYC, you need north of $600k to think of owning anything (including studio apartments). A house on a plot of land is $500k for a shack. Anything new construction, in gentrifying areas, or luxury is really closer to $800k+. Having just been in NOLA, I know that those median prices hold true for the French Quarter. There are definitely parts of town where housing is less expensive. However, a lot of the luxury new construction post-Katrina is forcing prices higher than what was traditionally the norm. Plus, I believe a lot of speculators came in immediately after, brought damaged homes and are now pushing for much higher prices from all the transplants moving to the city. Lots of locals complain they have been priced out of returning.

• Love 3