Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: Show Me Going

• Start Topic

When Rosa responds to an active shooter alert, the rest of the squad is forced to stay back, desperately fearing for her safety. Feeling helpless, Jake frantically brainstorms ways to offer his assistance, Terry faces an existential crisis and Gina and Amy try to make themselves useful by fixing Rosa's broken toilet.

This show still cracks me up hard!!!! :) A penis fight! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Rosa!! YAY! So glad she is okay! Love that everyone was worried!!! Love Holt's fedora!!! ROFL!

6 minutes ago, Roaster said:

I can feel the love at the 99!

Yeah me too!!! Awwwww. :)

• Love 5
(edited)

Wow.

"Penis-punch sixty-nine."

I can never unhear that.

Still laughed pretty hard at that scene though.

The look on everyone's face when Captain Holt walked in with that bowler hat was hilarious.

Edited by WritinMan
Typo
  • Love 8
31 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Still laughed pretty hard at that scene though.

Me too! I mean, it's about as basic as humor can get, but the fact that Hitchcock and Scully's solution to having a fight was relentless mutual crotch punches just had me laughing uncontrollably.

I was concerned that Jake was actually going to defy orders and help Rosa (and get away with it), but I should have trusted the show; it's proved itself by now. As Holt said, this isn't a movie.

I also loved the reappearance of the Holt sound board.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Rinaldo said:

"Oh hey Raymond, I can't wait for you and Kevin to come over and meet the baby.  We're still on for Thursday, right?"

"Screw.  That."

"I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to meet baby Carol?  Her surgery was such a success."

"Screw.  That.  Screw.  That.  Get.  Some.  Good.  Bye."

I definitely need a Capt. Holt soundboard, LOL!

• Love 17
(edited)
2 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Kind of seems like FOX is missing an opportunity in not making a Captain Holt soundboard and a Cheddar Instagram. Although I've read a couple times the show might not get renewed. Maybe they don't think it's worth it.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 8

Stupid problems with the feed here, and I missed the middle 10 minutes of the show. Will catch it on Hulu when it posts there, but damn! Sounds like the middle was as awesome as the beginning and end, from what you all are saying. Not that I doubted it would be. This show never disappoints.

That was a huge bathroom for only one toilet.

• Love 7
(edited)
19 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Stupid problems with the feed here, and I missed the middle 10 minutes of the show. Will catch it on Hulu when it posts there, but damn! Sounds like the middle was as awesome as the beginning and end, from what you all are saying. Not that I doubted it would be. This show never disappoints.

I just watched it on fox.com. FOX puts everything online immediately after it airs.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

Gina. Ugh. 

Everything/everyone else was great. I was glad to get a chance to see Amy. LOVED Boyle's Speed Racer outfit, complete with jaunty red scarf. 

• Love 9

The best part of the speed race outfit was using the scarf to signal the race.  So Boyle.

Holt 'reducing' himself to a metaphor.  "I"m better than that"

Even though Gina bugs, her Subway Girl song was kinda funny. 

As always, this show is the perfect blend of funny and sweet.  Jake's concern about Amy if he ever gets hurt naturally became about Charles and Jake was so sweet and patient with him.  Love it.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

That was a really weird bathroom.

Worst wet T-shirt contest ever. 

That was one fast-drying t-shirt. Don't tease us, show!

LOVED Boyle's Speed Racer outfit, complete with jaunty red scarf.

Gold

The only odd thing for me was the way everyone suddenly discovered police work was dangerous. Rosa is pretty much the definition of 'she can take care of herself' but as the top post notes, the squad 'desperately feared' for her safety. Jake has been undercover with the Mob and on the run from a hitman. Those seem kinda dangerous, too...

All in all, very good ep!

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Utpe said:

"Oh hey Raymond, I can't wait for you and Kevin to come over and meet the baby.  We're still on for Thursday, right?"

"Screw.  That."

"I'm sorry, I thought you wanted to meet baby Carol?  Her surgery was such a success."

"Screw.  That.  Screw.  That.  Get.  Some.  Good.  Bye."

I definitely need a Capt. Holt soundboard, LOL!

Hahahhahaha! Just reading this, made me laugh hard again!!!! ROFL!

8 minutes ago, highway61 said:

The only odd thing for me was the way everyone suddenly discovered police work was dangerous. Rosa is pretty much the definition of 'she can take care of herself' but as the top post notes, the squad 'desperately feared' for her safety. Jake has been undercover with the Mob and on the run from a hitman. Those seem kinda dangerous, too...

Awww but they love her. They just want her safe.. :( They are not robots they are humans. I love at the end when Jake hugged her and she smiled. :)  Rosa has changed.. She got character growth! She never used to smile and now she does! :)

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, highway61 said:

Yeah, that didn't work for me at all. Especially five seasons into the show.

But I loved Boyle as Speed Racer, along with Penis-punch 69. Funny episode, but the drama didn't do anything for me.

Edited by Kip Hackman
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, highway61 said:

I get it but I still think the situation Rosa was in was a specific type of scary. She was in a large active shooter situation, with multiple shooters and a lot of civilians to protect. She was there with random police officers that she doesn't necessarily have a rapport with rather than her own squad and her squad was mostly out of the loop besides scanners and the internet. It's one thing to be in a dangerous situation when its you and it's one thing for a loved one to be in danger when you can try to help but this time Rosa was alone and she were very isolated. Sitting and waiting for the news would be scary for people who are used to running towards the danger. Plus, we know that the squad gets nervous when Jake has been in danger in the past. Charles went grey that one time from stress. It's just normally not the focus whereas this time it was.

I don't think it was perfect but it moved along well enough that I still thought it worked.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

Take it from a life long NYer, you ain't seen nothing. I've seen bathrooms bigger than my bedroom, one's so small you have to straddle the toilet to use the sink, and even one with a stairs going thru it. You live in buildings that have been redone so many times and you end up with some strangely-shaped rooms.

• Love 7

Oh my God, Holt looked like a real life Paddington! "I tried something and it didnt work!" 

I would totally get a Holt Soundboard if they offered one, just like I would follow a Cheddar Instagram account in a heartbeat. Get on it, Fox! You can fix these ratings! The show is already great, you just need to promote it more. 

It was really sweet how worried everyone was about Rosa. This isnt the first time that they've been in danger, but I can get why they were freaked out. It seemed like it was less about her being in danger, and them not knowing what was happening. It freaked them out, and made things seem scarier. Loved when she got back, and she and Jake hugged. 

The speed racer outfit! He went full Boyle on that on. 

• Love 7

Pretty rare for this show to get so serious but I liked it. It's usually so over-the-top absurd but the reality is that some of these characters really put their lives in danger for a living. That's usually treated with humor instead of any sort of gravity. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, vibeology said:

She was there with random police officers that she doesn't necessarily have a rapport with ...

That reminds me -- The show didn't really do anything with that bit about the uniforms and detectives being at odds. Maybe it'll come up again in another ep.

I didn't really care for the squad being so focused on Dias. What about other police work? On the other hand, while I was esp annoyed with Jake for thinking he needed to save Rosa, I'm glad they didn't go that way, and that Jake actually took Holt's advice to help his squad deal with the anxiety.

I did like a lot of the funny parts. The cold open with the bowler hat was fantastic. "Fine! I was trying something and it didn't work."

The detective that Jake had accidentally injured years ago was pretty funny, with him walking into the water cooler and then the door jamb.

I got a big kick out of Charles saying, "I wake up every morning, I worry about the Zika virus. Why is nobody talking about Zika anymore!? There's no WAY it's fixed!" His anger as he said the last line was great.

Holt: I couldn't help but notice that you've flattened your mouse.
Terry: Sorry. I get crushy when I'm nervous.

The Speed Racer costume was so funny.

I was not a fan of Gina at.all. in this ep. Ugh.

• Love 4

Yes to the previous storylines with Jake part, but what this episode got me thinking about is how the part of the 99 we focus on are detectives. That IS a different kind of police work than the beat/street cops that Amy is now leading, and/or also those who presumably are those called to respond to active shooter type situations. Detectives generally come in after the crime has been committed. That distinction is what made it make sense to me, at least.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The detective that Jake had accidentally injured years ago was pretty funny, with him walking into the water cooler and then the door jamb.

Yes, I wonder if they'll bring that character and situation back in a future episode.  Rich with possibilities.  I bet on of the writers had that concept but for some reason they didn't build a whole episode around it and instead shoe-horned it into this one.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Yes, I wonder if they'll bring that character and situation back in a future episode.  Rich with possibilities.  I bet on of the writers had that concept but for some reason they didn't build a whole episode around it and instead shoe-horned it into this one.

Probably he was played by Akiva Schaeffer one of Andy's oldest friends and a part of The Lonely Island. He also directed The Puzzle Master episode this season.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Me too! I mean, it's about as basic as humor can get, but the fact that Hitchcock and Scully's solution to having a fight was relentless mutual crotch punches just had me laughing uncontrollably.

I was concerned that Jake was actually going to defy orders and help Rosa (and get away with it), but I should have trusted the show; it's proved itself by now. As Holt said, this isn't a movie.

The callbacks this season have been so great. If only the sound board could be a real app. 

One thing I have loved the second half of this season is how excited Jake is about getting married, and how it's clearly so meaningful to him. His realization about how Amy would be affected if something happened to him, following after him pointing out to Charles how their relationship is going to change. I feel that's not something we see in sitcoms, beyond just the wedding planning hijinks. 

• Love 9

I looked up to see if the Holt soundboard exists and tragically the only soundboards I found on Play Store are for Donald Trump. It's not like he has some iconic voice. If not a Holt soundboard, I would settle for a James Earl Jones one.

Amy in destructive mode was a thing of beauty. I also disagree with the person who doesn't like her in uniform. Actually, I think I just like her.

Hitchcock and Scully have been used well this season, an shown themselves to be real team players-- without sacrificing their characterization. I never would have thought that could work, and am impressed that it does. Also, it makes the Jake-Charles friendship not the only one on the show.

Melissa F is a good sport to get doused in scenes where Chelsea P stands off the the side and stays clear.

I really love this show. It actually seems to be one of the very rare shows that not only doesn't drop off in quality after this many seasons, but in some ways has continued the momentum and gotten better and better. I really think that if by some miracle the don't cancel it, it will be one of those shows that does fabulously well in syndication and pays off over time.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I looked up to see if the Holt soundboard exists and tragically the only soundboards I found on Play Store are for Donald Trump.

Awwww! So no Holt soundboard? :( Too bad.. :(

Akiva showing up as the detective that Jake accidentally injured during the academy was a fun surprise.  Now all of The Lonely Island have appeared on the show!

Definitely one of the show's more serious episodes, but I did like seeing how Diaz being in that situation effected everyone, and it more or less fell in line with Terry worried about what would happen to his family is something happened to him, Boyle assuming the worst, Amy trying to do something nice for Rosa when she gets back and becoming too involved, and, of course, Jake not wanting to sit around and go off to help.  I'm glad Holt talked him out of it, but it was in character for Jake to almost toss out all the rules and order in order to help a friend.

Still some good laughs though, with the cold opening, the return of the Holt soundboard, and, surprisingly, the Scully/Hitchcock dick-punching, since the whole "hitting someone in the crouch" gag is usually overplayed, but I think the sheer ridiculousness of it all, managed to make it work.

• Love 5

Aww, Jake called Rosa his best friend!

I loved the Jake/Holt interactions. Holt let Jake know that he disapproved of him leaving, but he respects him enough not to stand in his way. Their relationship has grown to that point; it's been a process and we've watched it develop. Jake has matured to the point that he realized the best thing he could do was stay put and help his colleagues as best he could. And then he got Terry's blood pressure down so Terry could get insurance to help ease his worries about his family. Aww!!

The writing is so great on this show. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, mammaM said:

Take it from a life long NYer, you ain't seen nothing. I've seen bathrooms bigger than my bedroom, one's so small you have to straddle the toilet to use the sink, and even one with a stairs going thru it. You live in buildings that have been redone so many times and you end up with some strangely-shaped rooms.

yeah while it seemed weird I can easily imagine somebody in the less enlightened past going "the lady cops say they need their own bathroom, give them storage room A, but spend as little on it as possible" and then institutional inertia leads to it never being updated.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, DXD526 said:

I loved the Jake/Holt interactions. Holt let Jake know that he disapproved of him leaving, but he respects him enough not to stand in his way.

I didn't see it that way. Holt gave him an order, gave him advice, explained it all, and still Jake was going to go off to rescue Rosa. I think Holt stepped aside because there was nothing else he could say.

Can someone remind me what the ep title, Show Me Going, means?

16 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Show Me Going, means?

It's what the cops say along with their badge number when they report to dispatch to an active situation because they are in the area. 

• Love 1
On 5/7/2018 at 9:12 AM, highway61 said:

That was a really weird bathroom.

That was one fast-drying t-shirt. Don't tease us, show!

Gold

To be fair they are detectives so they are not usually in the line of danger.

What I want to know is whether Andre Braugher is just saying the lines in a staccato voice trying to imitate what the sound board would sound like, or whether the effects people recorded his words then strung them together to make it sound that way. 

• Love 3

The chemistry between the characters on this show have been so so great. 

I liked the bathroom subplot. I stand by my theory that Gina and Amy do get along better when Gina doesn't have an audience for her to belittle Amy in front of. Her and Amy's interactions worked well. Gina was still a bit hostile toward Amy, but also way more respectful than a lot of other episodes. Also, the girls getting the final scene was fantastic. I was not surprised at Gina basically standing there and watching Amy do all the work. 

The active shooter situation has to be scary, even for cops who do go into danger every day. It definitely was a different situation, since Rosa didn't have her friends to back her up. I liked Jake's worry and then coming through at the end instead of running into danger. Also hearing about everyone's fears was great. Perhaps this could have worked earlier in the series, but I think it was a solid episode, nonetheless.

Scully and Hitchcock's fight was hilarious. The show doesn't tend to go for the low brow humour, so at least that's a plus. Plus, the image of the two fighting made it worth it. 

There were some seriously hilarious moments in this episode on top of the dramatic moments. This show is simply awesome.

• Love 7
On 5/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, tennisgurl said:

Oh my God, Holt looked like a real life Paddington! "I tried something and it didnt work!" 

I just about died at the looks on everyone's faces. 

On 5/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, tennisgurl said:

The speed racer outfit! He went full Boyle on that on. 

I'm telling you: Died.