Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E14: Top 10 Reveal

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Why am I being made to endure Michelle?! America got it right.

I think any one of the poor souls going home was more deservingly of a save than Michelle.

Ada sounded her worst ever tonight. She deserved top 10 based on body of work, but no way should they have ushered her through based on that overwrought, off-key mess.

33 minutes ago, ichbin said:

Michelle.  Michelle? Seriously!  Michelle??  I am not a fan of Mara but damn, what's right is right, and she deserved to stay over Charo Jr. 

I agree with you both. I was honestly shocked when they put her through. I wasn't even worried about her being picked. I thought for sure she was a goner. But unfortunately in today's music world they rely more on gimmicky acts and what they call "the whole package". 

I think Lady Gaga is talented but I wonder if she would have made it based on talent alone and without that hideous wacky persona she debuted with. And honestly Katy Perry herself has made it based a lot on her quirky, wacky persona. We all know she doesn't have that strong of a voice. Sadly a lot of today's music scene is full of these type of performers. Adele and ones of her caliber are in the minority.

• Love 8

THE ELECTED:

Maddie:  Once again, I had quibbles with the styling (white-girl Afro-puffs and kimono-pajamas? really?), but it worked with the song choice.  And she was much better singing tonight than last, I thought.  Only qualm is that a Bangles song loses a certain…something when you're not Susanna Hoffs, since Susanna had us listening with things other than our ears *cough* but anyhow…good enough.

Cade:  Commanded the stage and continued to look like a winner.  Still trying to be diverse with the song choice, but I don't really know if it showed either his voice or his guitar licks to best advantage.  Shouldn't erode the voting base, though.

Gabby: Holy Hannah!!  THAT WAS AWESOME!!  Kicked tail all over the stage!  Great song choice, great movement (loved her using the judges' area in her choreo), played to the crowd, and didn't run into breath-control issues despite all that movement.  Easily the best of the night; arguably the best in the competition thus far.

Caleb:  That was…not awesome.  Bland upon bland.  Could somebody tell him this is a song about S-E-X, not about safe driving?  Looked way too young for the song he chose.  Snore.

Michael: Now that's how you do Broadway!  Much better than Jurnee, I thought.

Catie: …sigh.  Well, it's not as if I didn't know it was coming.  The styling was semi-acceptable, the song choice was a little weird, the performance was nothing much, and she kept the "Me??" shtick to a minimum. 

(I actually spent most of the performance wondering what Taylor Swift sees in Camila Cabello that she's having CC open for her; so far, I haven't heard anything particularly noteworthy from Camila.  Ed Sheeran, I could see the potential as Taylor's opening act.  Even Shawn Mendes.  Camila seems like a big yawn.  Much like Catie.)

THE SELECTED:

Ada:  Fuck you, show, for giving me hope that he might actually be in danger, and then not even letting him spend a commercial break squirming.  Mediocre performance of a blatantly obvious song choice as, having proven that he's not Adam Lambert last week, Ada proves he's not Jennifer Hudson (or Lakisha whatshername from S7) this week. Yawn with a side of cringe.

On the plus side, it does give me a chance to adapt a classic Buffy the Vampire Slayer dialogue bit:

BUFFY:  Wow, that [song choice] was boring.

XANDER:  I don't think 'boring' quite covers it.

BUFFY:  No, you're right. 'Boring' falls short.

WILLOW.  Even I was bored, and I'm an [American Idol] nerd.

—freely adapted from Prophecy Girl [Ep. 1.12]

But still, boring.

Jurnee:  Also boring.  I don't need this much The Greatest Showman in my life, thank you very much.  And Michael sang rings around her.  Any more of this and I'll be voting to hear her wife sing while Jurnee gets deployed overseas.  Pass.

Michelle:  Okay, now you're just fucking with me, right? Uninteresting original, sung to no particular distinction.  And an eye-roll to Katy telling her to be proud of where she's from…um, Katy?  Everybody's from somewhere, you know.  It's not as if Michelle achieved something by being born.  Shut up.

Dennis:  Finally, a selection that made sense.  Got the "bad news" about having to get picked, didn't let it get him down (in obvious contrast to Marcio) and went out and killed it.  Worried me with his choice of "This Woman's Work", which can easily come off like musical mansplaining (memories of Michael Lynche still make me flynche), but…nothing to worry about.  Easily deserved his Top 10 pass.  

(Unlike some others…)

THE REJECTED:

Marcio:  Folded like a tent, even before Ryan gave him the bad news.  Looked as though he was walking the Green Mile, not onto the stage.  I've already forgotten what he sang, he was so pathetic.  (The singing wasn't too bad, IIRC, but as is obvious, hardly memorable.)  Won't miss him.

Garrett:  On the other hand, he tried.  Prettying up "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?" probably wasn't the best idea, though.  CCR/John Fogerty songs, even happy ones like "Looking Out My Back Door" or "Centerfield", always seem to have an edge to them.  (Probably because Fogerty is, allegedly, a bit of a dick, but even so.)  To give him a different sports metaphor, he needed to attack the hole with his putt, and instead he tried to cozy it up.  Bogey, missed the cut.  Too bad, kid.

Jonny:  Hardly thrilled to see him choose Imagine Dragons, but "Demons" is from before they devolved into nothing but car commercials and joke songs (can you imagine some would-be Dragon attempting "Thunder"?  Might be worth it for the yuks, actually), and Jonny put more honest emotion into it than Dan Reynolds ever has.  Rather liked it, frankly.  Considering who got put through, I'm actually thinking he got hosed.

But not as badly as…

Mara:  Wow, it's too bad the judges had obviously decided to send her home before she even started singing, because, damn!  I mean, I never even knew Janis Joplin did Rihanna covers!  And, unlike a certain Caleb Lee Hutchison who shall remain nameless, she owned the sexuality of the song despite her young age.  Easily in the top half of the night; definitely deserved to stay.

Instead it's Catie and Ada, for at least one more week.  (And longer than that, let's not kid ourselves.  Maybe we can at least lose Michelle, next time? Please?)

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Instead it's Catie and Ada, for at least one more week.  (And longer than that, let's not kid ourselves.  Maybe we can at least lose Michelle, next time? Please?)

I can see Catie going on since America voted her in, but Adam won't go further without the judges intervening.  And they had better be done with that.   Just let America do the picking.    I've had enough of Katy Perry and Lionel telling us who we should have voted for and then "correcting" it.  

BTW, I told Luke Bryan on his Twitter page that they need to let America decide from now on, and he "liked" it, so perhaps he agrees.   That would be great.

Edited by Suzysite
  • Love 7

I hated the part where they admonished “America “ for getting it wrong on Adam, Jurnee, and Dennis while the rest of the losers squirmed on loser row.  Only 10 would advance, and it’s likely the four they chose were in the top 10 of voting anyway. 

None of them are any more entitled to the vote than the ones who were sent packing.

• Love 14

I chose to listen to Ada last night instead of watch her, so that I wouldn’t be distracted by all the visuals of her persona. Yes, her voice is powerful, but the quality of it isn’t very pleasant. She sings in this ridiculous soprano that reminds me of when the guys from Monty Python play women, or when children imitate opera singers.

Unless she surprises us next week and does something more soft and nuanced to show a different quality of her voice, I will just be hoping that she is voted off soon.

• Love 12

Interesting, because other than 1 or 2 of the early auditions, I have not watched any of this season before last week. So I know none of the back stories on the top 10. Anyone care to do a quick synopsis??

STILL tired of Ada singing only from The Great American Drag Songbook. When they said next week is Disney songs (which will be cool), I immediately thought, "Ok, Ada is sooo doing "Let It Go" from Frozen.

After bitching about Jonny Brenns for weeks, this week I actually thought he should have gotten a slot.  Go figure... Also, Catie has been killing it--in a non-visual manner.  Last night they let her on stage wearing a librarian's church outfit with her Moms Naturalizers.

Except for maybe Jurnee. Girl can sing, but she is cold.

I think this well describes what I've been feeling about Jurnee.  2 weeks ago I pegged her as the winner.  Problem is she never really brings it.  She brings it 75% and that's not enough for the style she sings in.

• Love 6

I wasn't entirely surprised by the Top 6; I thought Jurnee might make it instead of Catie but that's about it.  I'm also not surprise that Ada, Jurnee and Dennis got 3 of the judges' saves, and feel that Dennis and Jurnee deserved theirs.  Michelle should've gone home; her vocals were not good, and if that was a good example of her songwriting skills, she doesn't really have much talent there either.  I'd have put any of the other 4 through instead of her.  And of course Ada sang "And I Am Telling You" - her penchant for big bombastic ballads has killed any interest I had in her; apparently Creep was a fluke.

As for the other performances, both Garrett and Jonny should've done those songs the right before.  They were definitely better, but they weren't really in for the long haul anyway, so no loss.  Marcio let his emotions get to him too much.  He and Dennis were competing for the same spot, and Dennis delivered better when it was absolutely necessary.  Mara, eh, again, more song than she could handle.

Maddie is totally my favorite.  That was fun, and yet still her style.  She is so current and marketable, I'd be surprised if she didn't get a contract out of this even if she doesn't win.

I loved Cade's performance, but not so much the song, and I did hear what some of you have said about his voice.  Like someone else said, he'll get a career out of this, but probably fronting a band rather than as a solo performer.

Didn't love Michael's song, but he sounded great.

I liked that performance of Gabby's much more than any of her previous ones.  She should aim more for being the next Miranda Lambert and less the next Carrie Underwood.

Catie seems to have toned the personality down a bit, which is a good thing.  I liked the arrangement of the song less after the key change - it was more lounge than Latin at that point - but her voice sounded really good throughout.  More of this Catie, please.

Caleb totally took the teen heartthrob spot away from Garrett and Jonny.  I think he's become much more comfortable on stage, and I love the layers in his voice.  He may win this whole thing, and I can definitely see him in the final.

Disney theme next week, ugh.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, twilightzone said:

But why would they reveal the order of the vote?  If anything, that can backfire and cause fans of higher vote getters to be complacent and motivate the lower vote getters.  And that's how shock boots happen.

Which would be why Ryan generally says "in no particular order" when he announces results.  Doesn't mean they weren't in order of votes.

10 hours ago, incandescent said:

And/or they were just hamming it up.

I'd say it was this.

7 hours ago, plotpointer said:

Tonight, Dennis was once again my favorite.

Pretty much a segregated contest.  The show will remain that way as long as viewers continue to vote along racial lines, as they have for the past five or six seasons.

Michael was voted into the Top 6, so I'm not sure how the viewers could be voting along racial lines.

• Love 4

And I'm worried about Cade on this one. I can't imagine how he's going to translate a Disney song to his rocker style. Unless he can pull off some David Cook arrangement with his version of "Hello". Will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Michael was voted into the Top 6, so I'm not sure how the viewers could be voting along racial lines.

Don't you remember that day 5 years ago when we all turned racist?  Oh wait, 5 years ago Candace won Idol.  

7 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Don't you remember that day 5 years ago when we all turned racist?  Oh wait, 5 years ago Candace won Idol.  

Loved Candace.  Her duet with Jennifer Hudson showed us what a diva Jennifer Hudson is, trying to out-sing Candace.  So ungracious.

• Love 2

On the plus side, it does give me a chance to adapt a classic Buffy the Vampire Slayer dialogue bit:

Also remember Evil Willow's "Bored now."  Or from a different franchise, Stan Marsh:  "Don't care...still don't care."

The show/producers/somebody are prone to mistake apathy for hatred, perhaps because hatred implies you're thinking of them.  The great thing about a show that has voting is that if you don't care, you can express that by not voting.

Specific to this night:  I'm happy for Maddie, though I think Walk Like an Egyptian is hard to do as a solo.  She did it as well as I've seen.  As critical as I am of the judges choosing, I'm glad Jurnee made it another week; if they do a top 10 tour, that's good news for her. 

Disney night will have its share of solo opportunities, and with ABC owned by Disney, rights issues should be easy.

Sorry I can't summarize back stories; I fast-forward that part as much as I can.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Doncha know you have to vote based on skin color to prove you're not racist? If you vote on what you like and don't consider color, that's racist. Like Katy says, we don't want to let Michelle down by holding her to the same standards as all the other competitors. And IDK the demographic breakdown of this show, but in a country with a majority of whites who have their own cultural preferences, I'm thinking that's the way the votes are going to skew. If you want to take that as proof that people hate you, well, God bless you.

• Love 5

I am fine with the top 10.  I knew they were going to pick Ada regardless......I have no problem with the Drag Queen persona but in reality Ada is not marketable for what Idol is hoping for (Carrie/Kelly) which is someone who is going to make them a lot of money.  Ada can definitely have a career, most likely on Broadway but mainstream he/she is not current enough. Strictly looking at this from a business standpoint which is what it boils down to.  Rueben was one of my all time favorites but he really wasn't a current singer. I really like Cade but again his style of music is not what is played right now.  Katie's serious/determined face after Ada sang tonight just felt a bit like an act, she understands the industry enough to know this is not Ada's lane, but Katie wants to appear to stand up for the underdog.  Michelle is marketable, she can dance, sing (this can be polished) and is pretty.  She is not my cup of tea but again I can see her being Top 40 at some point.  Jurnee is another one who has a good chance....I was a little surprised America didn't vote her through but she can be molded into a pop/R&B star.  They (TPTB) are more than likely hoping for a Gabby win.  I personally do not like her but she fits the mold.  I love Maddie (although Walk Like an Egyptian wasn't my favorite of hers).  I adore Michael and Catie (surprises me to say this) is growing on me as long as she keeps the over the top quirkiness to a minimum.  She did score points when she whispered she didn't think she could win if she was being honest.  Dennis hasn't wowed me yet.  Oh and Caleb......was happy he beat out the 'heartthrobs' he is much more talented and has a personality.  

One more thing, as a parent I want to cut Jonny's dad some slack.  He appeared to be pretty conservative and is probably much more of a logical thinker when it comes to making a living and it doesn't make him a bad father.  Some parents just think more realistically and some go along with their children's dreams more.              

• Love 5
40 minutes ago, yorklee2 said:

And I'm worried about Cade on this one. I can't imagine how he's going to translate a Disney song to his rocker style. Unless he can pull off some David Cook arrangement with his version of "Hello". Will be interesting to see what he comes up with.

The movie Treasure Planet had a soundtrack mostly sung by Goo Goo Dolls' Johnny Rzeznik.  Though I'd like it if he Cookified something unlikely.  The only time I really liked Cade was his audition, which was a unique rendition of Feel It Still.  

5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Ada:  Fuck you, show, for giving me hope that he might actually be in danger, and then not even letting him spend a commercial break squirming.  Mediocre performance of a blatantly obvious song choice as, having proven that he's not Adam Lambert last week, Ada proves he's not Jennifer Hudson (or Lakisha whatshername from S7) this week. Yawn with a side of cringe.

Lakisha Jones. Season 6. She slayed the cover, right after Dreamgirls premiered. She finished 4th. That was a strong year. Simon declared her the winner after that top 24 performance, but she never quite topped it. 

Ada is no Lakisha. I've liked every performance from Ada except last night's. It was truly sub-par and offkey, and parts of the song were changed that should not have been. I'd bet Ada was voted into the top 10 by America (I'm not talking about this top 6 baloney they're pulling tonight), and Ada deserved to go through in general. But I was appalled at their ushering her through without having to wait. That performance was in no way so great that she didn't deserve to have to sit with the majority of the contestants who were also "in danger."

The judges (if you want to call them that - I'm dubious after they sent Michelle through *eyeroll*) are doing Ada and us a disservice but not properly offering her critiques. She's not perfect, and she's not going to get any better if they don't help her. Almost everyone "in danger" last night pulled out their best performances - and they were better than that bombastic screechfest she offered up. So again, fine that they sent her through, but I had to laugh at the way they did it. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, yorklee2 said:

I wish Cade would play acoustic guitar and sit down and just sing for once. But maybe he knows better...

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Refresh said:

I’m watching for Maddie and Michael. They make me stop and listen. I haven’t expected or gotten that in a while from AI. 

I was really rooting for Marcio but bad song choice sung in a forgettable way is not gonna cut it. Barry Manilow? Really? I hope he has a support system. I worry about him. 

Refresh, my thoughts exactly. I was all about the three Ms. Still am. I still think Marcio should have made it through those last two song choices did him in (It's A Miracle? REALLY? I would have actually loved to hear him do Daybreak if he had to do Barry Manilow). And I am worried about him ... I think I love him even more as a person/dad (from what we've seen) than a singer and hope that he has enough fans and support now to help him through this ... his voice is beautiful and with the right people and production he could go far. 

But Maddie and Michael, for me, both have what it takes ... they are both unique and have terrific voices and are really likable. Going for the M&M!!! 

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, tobeannounced said:

I wish Cade would play acoustic guitar and sit down and just sing for once. But maybe he knows better...

Maybe he realizes his greatest assets are shredding and showmanship, so he's gonna stay in his lane as long as he can manage.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Pretty much a segregated contest.  The show will remain that way as long as viewers continue to vote along racial lines, as they have for the past five or six seasons

Actually, there was an African American winner (Candace S12) and runner up (LaPorsha S15); also Hispanic runner up (Jessica Sanchez S11) in that timespan. Now, S7-10 top spots were all white, but that was preceded by minorities in first or second place in seasons 1-2-3-6. 

No idea what the racial demo for the AI audience is, so not sure if there's any correlation to the voting results.

Of course Ada is no Lakisha.  Remember that Ada is really Adam, who is a male hitting all those high notes.  Regarding Ada, it's obvious to me that Ada was placed strategically to  perform last so that the producers could have the final showstopper song with the big light show.  ...and think about it - Ada was singing "I'm not going" and then the judges went all gaga over the performance and sent him straight through.   It's all about producing a dramatic show. 

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, incandescent said:

Maybe he realizes his greatest assets are shredding and showmanship, so he's gonna stay in his lane as long as he can manage.

And I'm kinda thinking the opposite for Maddie - put down the guitar and get some energy and get moving around the stage.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Actually, there was an African American winner (Candace S12) and runner up (LaPorsha S15); also Hispanic runner up (Jessica Sanchez S11) in that timespan. Now, S7-10 top spots were all white, but that was preceded by minorities in first or second place in seasons 1-2-3-6. 

No idea what the racial demo for the AI audience is, so not sure if there's any correlation to the voting results.

I don't know where the quote attributed to me came from, but I did not post that.

Okay, it looks like the post I quoted previously - which I disputed by pointing out that Michael was voted in by the viewers - accidently got attributed to me.  FTR, I don't think viewers vote along racial lines, given that there have been many finalists of color over the years, and that Michael, who is black, is one of this year's Top 10 by votes.

Edited by proserpina65
Edited for clarification
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Maybe I'm a hard-ass, but anything Disney or musicals...just UGH! I know I'll be multi-tasking instead of just sitting watching attentively.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Now, S7-10 top spots were all white, but that was preceded by minorities in first or second place in seasons 1-2-3-6. 

Season 8 did at least have a gay runner-up.  Not the same kind of minority, I know, but one nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

Are people forgetting S2 winner Ruben Studdard

I'm still trying to forget! Can you tell I am a Clay fan? But I did go to the tour that Clay and Ruben did together and they were fun and they can "sang"!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I'm still trying to forget! Can you tell I am a Clay fan?

I am one too! The pinnacle of Idol was the Clay/Ruben finale. It was all friendly factions, tons of voting on cordless phones, and young Ryan hosting his first solo finale. Claymates were strong, and I'm still gutted that he lost. His Bridge Over Troubled Water is my favorite Idol performance ever.

Reuben, Kimberly, and Clay were a great bunch. The new incarnation will be off to an auspicious beginning if we get a top 3 as likable and talented as that one. My picks are Maddie, Cade, and Gabby. I'm not saying those are my favorites, but I think they each have a great shot. Though Caleb could easily sneak in there too. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Pegasaurus said:

Or "Poor Unfortunate Souls" from The Little Mermaid.  (The one sung by Ursala)

Or "Kiss The Girl", sung by Sebastian the crab in a French accent.  LOL

I would love to hear someone (Ada?) tackle this-

46 minutes ago, Pegasaurus said:

Or "Poor Unfortunate Souls" from The Little Mermaid.  (The one sung by Ursala)

Too (relatively) obscure.

However, I don't think we're safe from "Colors of the Wind" (from Pocahantas).  Sigh.

• Love 4

My preferences have nothing to do with the person's skin color, ethnicity or sexual preferences. I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like. It's that simple. I hate musicals and my favorites are rock and country. I just think the more popular music sounds so "the same" but I know someone who loves pop would think that about rock and/or country. So it's just individual taste. Simple as that.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Ada is no comparison to Jennifer Hudson's version or the original, Jennifer Holliday. That was a shreaky mess. Just an emotional pick on the judges' part. It's like they are picking based on emotion and America is picking based on singing and the judge's just can't comprehend it. Except for maybe Jurnee. Girl can sing, but she is cold. Reminds me of Jennifer Hudson on AI and why I think she didn't go farther.

The no nonsense attitude is part of why I love Jurnee. I hate when contestants pull out a new childhood trauma every week. The whole army wife deal teeters on the edge of that but the fact that she's gay probably negates any brownie points she'd get for that from a certain audience.

I think the reason the judges did a little dance of relief when Michael was chosen is partly because up until then there was the left side and the white side of the screen.

Gabby surprised me and won me over some. She and Caleb are the classic Al winners...so hopefully it's not that predictable.

I wasn't a big fan of Dennis but his last two performances have won me over. He's gotten a lot better.

I hate and fastforward through the performances of Ada and Cade. Michelle makes me cringe a little with the cheese but somehow I don't hate it completely. She looks a lot like Demi Lovato with the bangs.

Maddie is great and I hope I don't get sick of her shtick. It all depends on song choice. Walk like an Egyptian was a bit boring.

Catie is losing some of her charm. It's time to pick a lane and stay in it...Only Michael can pull off doing a random song and genre every week.

Feel bad for Marcio but he was one of the weaker ones this week. And to be real, it would only split the black vote even more putting him through.

So relieved Garrett and Jonny are out. I feel second hand embarrassment watching them perform and the judges pretending it isn't horrible. When they were talking up Garrett I was terrified they were justifying giving him the judges pick but luckily Caleb has gotten hot enough that they don't need them.

Mara wasn't ready and she's young and privileged enough that this wasn't too devestating a loss.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

You say that like that season wasn't heavily manipulated to get to that result. A major reason was the only white guy they put through to the finals was Paul Jolley.

I'm expecting Caleb will win this year unless the 5-way finale can divide the vote. That'll make 10 white guys out of 16 seasons. At least Caleb is okay. David Cook and Kris Allen are the other white guys I didn't mind.

In the grand scheme of things, a white guy /guitar winning idol means next to nothing in the music industry.  I keep hearing about Rock radio, but haven’t heard it for years.  I’m talking new music, not nostalgia acts like Queen.

maybe a country guy can get a decent contemporary career through idol, but why do people have to live in boxes?  There are Black Country artists.   That would be a nice change up to see on the show. 

10 hours ago, WhineandCheez said:

STILL tired of Ada singing only from The Great American Drag Songbook. When they said next week is Disney songs (which will be cool), I immediately thought, "Ok, Ada is sooo doing "Let It Go" from Frozen.

If someone's going to sing "Let It Go," I'd prefer it to be Jurnee. I could see Catie doing it though, considering her strange song choices so far.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

In the grand scheme of things, a white guy /guitar winning idol means next to nothing in the music industry.  I keep hearing about Rock radio, but haven’t heard it for years.  I’m talking new music, not nostalgia acts like Queen.

maybe a country guy can get a decent contemporary career through idol, but why do people have to live in boxes?  There are Black Country artists.   That would be a nice change up to see on the show. 

I looked at Billboard’s top rock albums of 2017 and at least 3 of them are artists we’ve heard covered on Idol this season.   Imagine Dragons, Portugal the Man and Panic! At The Disco.  

33 minutes ago, Azgard12 said:

Okay, I watched this to see what it was all about finally.

Next time is Disney.  I fully anticipate Ada sings "Reflection" from Mulan and pulls the wig off at some point.

I don't know...I suspect Adam believes that the Ada persona is key to his success, since he was less successful in his previous Idol attempt as Adam.  I'm not an Ada fan...nothing against the person, but I feel that the talent level is only so-so and the Ada persona is what's selling it as better than it is. 

• Love 6

I remember when a contestant got overwrought during a song and the judges really got on them about the importance of controlling their emotions. I can’t believe no one criticized Marcio( especially) and Mara for alll the unnecessary tears. They won’t last a second in show biz if they don’t toughen up ( plus it was hard to watch) and I can’t believe not one judge mentioned it. 

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Packerbrewerbadger said:

I remember when a contestant got overwrought during a song and the judges really got on them about the importance of controlling their emotions. I can’t believe no one criticized Marcio( especially) and Mara for alll the unnecessary tears. They won’t last a second in show biz if they don’t toughen up ( plus it was hard to watch) and I can’t believe not one judge mentioned it. 

I wondered the same thing.  There is a huge difference between understanding and portraying the emotional feel of a song .... and crying without control for any reason.

• Love 5

I may have plenty of criticisms of AI over the years but don't really personally feel racial divides was one of them. S2 was definitely my favorite season (and also the best one to follow on PTV's predecessor, TWoP ... who here remembers "Carmen's Dairy"???) ... I still have not gotten over the tragic untimely passing of RIckey Smith. And Ruben remains my all-time favorite AI winner AND "Flying WIthout Wings" remains in high rotation on my iTunes/Nano mix.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I looked at Billboard’s top rock albums of 2017 and at least 3 of them are artists we’ve heard covered on Idol this season.   Imagine Dragons, Portugal the Man and Panic! At The Disco.  

I quit listening about 2004.  It’s nothing like the glory days of the 90’s.

and I am officially old. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

(and also the best one to follow on PTV's predecessor, TWoP ... who here remembers "Carmen's Dairy"???)

Hand raised!  

I just remembered that while the season was still airing, some of the bootees went on a mall tour.  I recall going to see them.  It must have been the first five to go because Rickey Smith was there, but I don't remember Kimberly Caldwell being part of the group. 

Edited by ichbin
2nd paragraph
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

Ugh.  Cade is a less talented, less good looking, more arrogant version of Casey James.  I'd like to see him go sooner than later.

• Love 5