Type keyword(s) to search

Faux Life: Things That Happen On TV But Not In Reality

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

Scenario - cops/superheroes/FBI agents tracking a Bad Guy who is killing people in some sort of pattern. Bad Guy kills maybe three people, the heroes start to recognize his pattern and are waiting for him to strike again. This time, the Bad Guy isn't just outright killing the victim, but is delaying for some reason. Has the victim tied up and is taking his time. The other ones, he just killed but there's always some sort of hold up with this last one so the heroes can get there in time and rescue the victim. Sometimes, the last victim is known to the heroes.

And if the cops do show up, the killer ties them up instead of killing them right away. But only if the officers are main characters. If they're extras, they get blown away with no monologuing or fanfare. 

• Love 5
On 4/20/2017 at 7:30 AM, topanga said:

And if the cops do show up, the killer ties them up instead of killing them right away. But only if the officers are main characters. If they're extras, they get blown away with no monologuing or fanfare. 

"I have a gun in my room, I can get it now..."
"Shh!"
"But..."
"What part of 'shh!' don't you get?"

• Love 2

All of the movies and TV shows, where women (usually pregnant, or with a little girl of their own), move back to the house where their entire family was slaughtered - and the whole town is weird. In some cases, it's the loving husband's idea. (WTF?)

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Anela said:

All of the movies and TV shows, where women (usually pregnant, or with a little girl of their own), move back to the house where their entire family was slaughtered - and the whole town is weird. In some cases, it's the loving husband's idea. (WTF?)

As for the movies, it depends on which of the two women's networks you're on.

If you're on Hallmark, the woman will investigate her family's deaths and with the help of some of the townspeople -- who turn out to just be lovable weirdos and not sinister at all -- and her devoted and truly loving husband, she uncovers the truth and brings the murderer(s) to justice.

If you're on Lifetime, the woman will investigate her family's deaths and discover that her husband was behind the killings, that unbeknownst to her she has inherited some property or objects worth a ton of money and he's planning on killing her, too, and that the townspeople are in on it. She will start to suspect this throughout the movie but it won't be until the reveal in the final 10 minutes when Evil Hubby will monologue all his plans and tries to kill her. She will end up killing his ass and escaping. Roll credits. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

If you're on Hallmark, the woman will investigate her family's deaths and with the help of some of the townspeople -- who turn out to just be lovable weirdos and not sinister at all -- and her devoted and truly loving husband, she uncovers the truth and brings the murderer(s) to justice.

If you're on Lifetime, the woman will investigate her family's deaths and discover that her husband was behind the killings, that unbeknownst to her she has inherited some property or objects worth a ton of money and he's planning on killing her, too, and that the townspeople are in on it. She will start to suspect this throughout the movie but it won't be until the reveal in the final 10 minutes when Evil Hubby will monologue all his plans and tries to kill her. She will end up killing his ass and escaping. Roll credits. 

haha, yes! I was thinking more recently of a Chiller series, and an independent movie where they didn't move back, but she stayed there with her family (and scary things start to happen). In the Chiller series, they made the townies look suspicious, until the real killer was revealed. 

• Love 1

I am going to assume that this is something that only happens on TV.  If this is a real thing let me know, and I will change my strategy.

Man meets woman.  Woman is totally rude to him.  Man falls instantly in love. He pursues her. She continues to be mean to him, usually because she feels she is too good for him.  Eventually she thaws, but is still fairly rude, and they get married and live happily ever after.  While she probably continues to belittle him.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, CoderLady said:

@Anela, is Chiller another catnip-for-women network? I must check it out.

It's a cable channel that's been around for a few years. Kind of a horror channel. The series was on Netflix last year, so it might still be there. :) 

3 hours ago, CoderLady said:

So what you are really saying is that there is a difference between Hallmark and Lifetime. Good to know. 

What about WE and OWN?

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

So what you are really saying is that there is a difference between Hallmark and Lifetime. Good to know. 

What about WE and OWN?

Yeah, Hallmark does the sunny side of women's mysteries and Lifetime's are a lot more cynical.

I'm not sure about OWN at all, and I only watch WE for the Law & Order marathons.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 5

Does anyone on tv ever remember to stop, drop and roll?  I mean, I'm sure that catching fire would cause one to panic, but, I'm sure that someone in the history of the world has remembered this, yet I've never seen it once on tv.

Also, having been watching ER reruns, I've never seen so many enthusiastic sex scenes.  Covers completely over their heads, bodies flailing around to the extent that your left wondering if he's even hitting his mark, falling off the bed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enthusiastic sex, but these scenes just don't seem too realistic.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Also, having been watching ER reruns, I've never seen so many enthusiastic sex scenes.  Covers completely over their heads, bodies flailing around to the extent that your left wondering if he's even hitting his mark, falling off the bed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm all for enthusiastic sex, but these scenes just don't seem too realistic.

What?  They're in beds?  I thought all hospital drama sex happened in supply closets?  I guess possibly unoccupied rooms, whichwould have beds.  OK.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Katy M said:

What?  They're in beds?  I thought all hospital drama sex happened in supply closets?  I guess possibly unoccupied rooms, whichwould have beds.  OK.

Wrong hospital drama, @Katy M, that would be Grey's Anatomy. I don't remember the sex on ER happening in the hospital, for the most part. Those doctors and nurses at least had enough sense to wait till they got home to get busy. ;)

1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

There were some heavy make out scenes in the hospital in ER, bit i don't recall any sex.

IIRC, one of the earlier episodes of S1 (maybe even the pilot), didn't Mark and his wife Jen get caught in a supply closet or cubicle because they'd accidentally hit an alarm button? 

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Ceindreadh said:

IIRC, one of the earlier episodes of S1 (maybe even the pilot), didn't Mark and his wife Jen get caught in a supply closet or cubicle because they'd accidentally hit an alarm button? 

Yep.  I think they were in a bathroom, and she was giving him a blow job (not that we see that, of course, but it's a pretty clear implication) and he put his hand against the wall and accidentally hit the help button, so the whole staff came running.

The ER sex scenes make me laugh, because it's a reminder of how edgy they were being in the mid-90s.  But now it's just, "Oh dear, you are trying way too hard."

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5
On 4/21/2017 at 2:35 PM, CoderLady said:

Lifetime is awesome.

Never did like Hallmark movies.

Does that say something about me?

• Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 2:00 PM, Shannon L. said:

Does anyone on tv ever remember to stop, drop and roll?  I mean, I'm sure that catching fire would cause one to panic, but, I'm sure that someone in the history of the world has remembered this, yet I've never seen it once on tv.

I remember thinking there were an awful lot of unintended pregnancies on ER. They are doctors and nurses, FFS! Don't they know about birth control?

On 4/21/2017 at 3:06 PM, Katy M said:

I am going to assume that this is something that only happens on TV.  If this is a real thing let me know, and I will change my strategy.

Man meets woman.  Woman is totally rude to him.  Man falls instantly in love. He pursues her. She continues to be mean to him, usually because she feels she is too good for him.  Eventually she thaws, but is still fairly rude, and they get married and live happily ever after.  While she probably continues to belittle him.

Then they get a fridge and she stocks it with yogurt he's not allowed to touch. 

• Love 7
On 4/22/2017 at 5:05 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Lifetime is awesome.

Never did like Hallmark movies.

Does that say something about me?

I once heard a comedian say that Lifetime is supposed to be the Netwoek for women, but every movie is about some woman being raped, stabbed, or killed. 

But I'd pick it any day over those syrupy-sweet Hallmark movies and shows. 

So maybe it means you like to see your female characters overcoming bad shit. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, topanga said:

I once heard a comedian say that Lifetime is supposed to be the Netwoek for women, but every movie is about some woman being raped, stabbed, or killed. 

Plus I like thrillers and Lifetimd has a fair amount of decent ones.

Channels evolve.  Lifetime's tv for women has evolved (at least in my mind) to tv about women even if it is bad shit.  Most if not all the movies do revolve around women they just have a dark undertone which I appreciate.  I like dark.  I hate syrupy-sweet. 

• Love 2

You are trying to stop a bad guy by hanging on to the top of his car. Not only that but while riding on top of a bad guy's car you instinctively know when to shift out of the way because he is going to fire blind through the roof

• Love 8

Serial killers are so imaginative. Always trying to create some kind of 'art' like dressing up their victims as fairy tale characters/dolls/puppets, making sure there is a clear motif to their murders.

Edited by shang yiet
  • Love 11

Not that this doesn't happen in real life (I knew someone like this in grade school) but in only on TV, in just about every family, group of friends, or office, is someone born on February 29th.  Off the top of my head, I know Sue Heck on the middle, Cam from Modern Family, and Jerry on Parks and Rec have leap day birthdays.  It can't be *that* common.

• Love 3
On 4/25/2017 at 8:07 PM, topanga said:

Their slogan used to be Lifetime--Television for Women. My own variation of that was Lifetime--Television for women who like to be scared into staying at home to watch more Lifetime.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Their slogan used to be Lifetime--Television for Women. My own variation of that was Lifetime--Television for women who like to be scared into staying at home to watch more Lifetime.

Mine was Television for Women Who Hate Themselves, but I picked that up from someone else.  Now, with the existence of the Hallmark channel, if a gun was held to my head and I had to pick a movie from one or the other, I'd probably go for Lifetime.  But I'd still rather stare at my wall for two hours.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

Not that this doesn't happen in real life (I knew someone like this in grade school) but in only on TV, in just about every family, group of friends, or office, is someone born on February 29th.  Off the top of my head, I know Sue Heck on the middle, Cam from Modern Family, and Jerry on Parks and Rec have leap day birthdays.  It can't be *that* common.

1 in 1,461 chance of being born on Leap Day.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

Mine was Television for Women Who Hate Themselves, but I picked that up from someone else.  Now, with the existence of the Hallmark channel, if a gun was held to my head and I had to pick a movie from one or the other, I'd probably go for Lifetime.  But I'd still rather stare at my wall for two hours.

I've grown overly tired of the Hallmark movies on the main channel because the quality is in the dumper due to the way they churn them out now and the stories don't don't have that much depth. They had a "Good Witch" movie marathon on yesterday and you could see the quality drop with each movie after the first two of those.

I like the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel though since they have older mystery shows too and the main story on the mystery movies isn't always tru wuv forever. I liked when Lifetime had some of the older TV movies that were based on books by Danielle Steele since those stories had layers even kinda newer ones like Nora Roberts weren't bad. Most of Lifetime's movies seem like mini thrillers now. I wish they could have a mix of movies with some more like the Beach Girls mini series or Marry Me (which was a more grownup Hallmark like movie).

• Love 3

I've never seen so many offices/businesses that allow their employees to dress up in crazy costumes for Halloween.  I know they exist and I know that some of those ask you to keep it down in regards to how big and crazy they are (non-risque goes without saying), but on tv they tend to go all out.  Oh, and I've never worked in an office or business where everyone on shift went to a big party afterward for all of the major holidays. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I've never seen so many offices/businesses that allow their employees to dress up in crazy costumes for Halloween.  I know they exist and I know that some of those ask you to keep it down in regards to how big and crazy they are (non-risque goes without saying), but on tv they tend to go all out.  Oh, and I've never worked in an office or business where everyone on shift went to a big party afterward for all of the major holidays. 

I worked at this one place where they allowed Halloween costumes, but I'm kind of lame and didn't want to do anything.  One of my friends brought in her old graduation gown and told me to be a judge.  So, I put the gown on, and put my hair up in a bun.  LOL. 

• Love 4
On 4/29/2017 at 5:11 PM, kiddo82 said:

My daughter was born in February of a leap year.  There were several kids in her classes who were born on the 29th.  I noticed it because of the birthday parties I had to schedule around.

In any group of 30 people, there's a 50% chance that at least two share birthdays.

Speaking of offices on tv, only on tv does it seem like nobody does any actual work. Either they spend all their time at the office talking to their colleagues about their personal issues (for example Blackish) or they spend all the time outside the office hanging out with their friends (for example on Friends they once even made a remark on it while they were hanging out at Central Perk).

• Love 3
On 4/29/2017 at 2:56 AM, shang yiet said:

Serial killers are so imaginative. Always trying to create some kind of 'art' like dressing up their victims as fairy tale characters/dolls/puppets, making sure there is a clear motif to their murders.

Do you ever wonder where they get the money to fuel their serial killer hobby? All those props and the lengths they go to for this stuff...

• Love 6
7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

If that were true, their props would backfire on them but leave their victims unscathed.  Just ask Wile E. Coyote.

Everybody knows that Wile E. Coyote was notoriously bad at following directions, in fact he just tossed them out and set everything up how he thought it should be. In other words, it was all user-error.

• Love 7

You've just reminded me of one of my favorite commercials from years ago. I think it was for McAfee. One of the people, a middle-aged guy, I think, says with immense pride and a tinge of awe "I take user error to a whole new level."

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Katy M said:

Everybody knows that Wile E. Coyote was notoriously bad at following directions, in fact he just tossed them out and set everything up how he thought it should be. In other words, it was all user-error.

Yeah, Hannibal Lecter or Dexter Morgan would always be super-careful to read the instruction manuals and follow them to the letter.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:45 AM, Shannon L. said:

Where I work you aren't allowed to dress up. I work with developmental disabled adults, and nobody including the clients are allowed to dress up for Halloween because it is seen as "childish". Which everyone disagrees with minus upper management, because seriously who doesn't want to dress up. I get that it has to be appropriate but nothing is allowed.

• Love 3

Here's one that I'm sure has happened in real life in the past but I doubt continues: Character A is staying late at a place of business for some reason (research at a library, exercise/practice at a gym, catching up on paperwork at the firm, etc).  Character B comes over to let them know that it's closing time/they are leaving.  Instead of gathering up their things and heading home, Character A responds by telling Character B "leave me the keys and I'll lock up".  This has always confused me.  I've never been in a business at closing time and told the employees that they can leave and I'll lock up.  It happens on older tv all the time (I recently saw it on a Murder, She Wrote rerun to give one example) so I feel like this was a thing that may have once happened in real life, though I would be beyond shocked if it still does (for liability reason if nothing else).   Mainly I can't quite figure out the logistics of this.  Sure, if Character A and Character B are friends/neighbors, I can see A dropping off the keys at B's house but, outside of that, how would A get the keys to B?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Here's one that I'm sure has happened in real life in the past but I doubt continues: Character A is staying late at a place of business for some reason (research at a library, exercise/practice at a gym, catching up on paperwork at the firm, etc).  Character B comes over to let them know that it's closing time/they are leaving.  Instead of gathering up their things and heading home, Character A responds by telling Character B "leave me the keys and I'll lock up".  This has always confused me.  I've never been in a business at closing time and told the employees that they can leave and I'll lock up.  It happens on older tv all the time (I recently saw it on a Murder, She Wrote rerun to give one example) so I feel like this was a thing that may have once happened in real life, though I would be beyond shocked if it still does (for liability reason if nothing else).   Mainly I can't quite figure out the logistics of this.  Sure, if Character A and Character B are friends/neighbors, I can see A dropping off the keys at B's house but, outside of that, how would A get the keys to B?

Yes, you would defnintely have to be friends, and even then it would be against the rules unless person B already worked there.  But, people do break rules from time to time.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Really? Everywhere I've worked people leave at various times. Right now I have co-workers that leave anywhere between 5 to 9. And some come in on weekends.  The key thing does seem weird though.

• Love 1

No, I'm talking about Character A, who does not work at the business in question (forget my example of someone staying late to finish paperwork), telling Character B, who does and is the last employee remaining, to leave them the keys to lock up so that A can finish whatever they're doing.  I remembered another example from the movie Miracle when Herb tells his assistant coach to tell the manager of the rink they were running drills on to leave him the keys and that he'd lock up.  In this particular example, Herb and the team were in Sweden and there's no way he was friends with the people in charge of the rink.  So, in this and other examples, how do they get the keys to the employees/managers if they don't already know them?  And how is this not a liability?  And why does Character A get to stay behind and finish what they're doing while other customers have to leave?  Why does Character A get to stay at all rather than leave because it's closing time? 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

No, I'm talking about Character A, who does not work at the business in question (forget my example of someone staying late to finish paperwork), telling Character B, who does and is the last employee remaining, to leave them the keys to lock up so that A can finish whatever they're doing.  I remembered another example from the movie Miracle when Herb tells his assistant coach to tell the manager of the rink they were running drills on to leave him the keys and that he'd lock up.  In this particular example, Herb and the team were in Sweden and there's no way he was friends with the people in charge of the rink.  So, in this and other examples, how do they get the keys to the employees/managers if they don't already know them?  And how is this not a liability?  And why does Character A get to stay behind and finish what they're doing while other customers have to leave?  Why does Character A get to stay at all rather than leave because it's closing time? 

Because it's TV and they need to stay for the plot.  As for the ice rink example, though, I could see that happening.  The coach could have made arrangements (and paid a premium) with the owner ahead of time to be able to use the rink after hours.  They could then leave the key in a key drop, assuming the person closing up isn't the one who is supposed to open up in the morning.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Why does Character A get to stay at all rather than leave because it's closing time? 

Because character A is usually a cop/FBI agent researching a case in the library and the rules of human decency don't apply as he is taking. It.  Personally.  

ETA:. If Character A (cop/FBI Agent) needs to stay at the gym past closing it's because he's rage boxing the heavy bag or speed bag because he's frustrated about a case and taking. It. Personally.  Either way, same rules about ignoring human decency apply.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 3

At my grad school (which is small and hosts a lot of 10-day low-residency programs), the librarian will allow you to stay in the library past closing time (though they won't leave you the key... the door locks behind you when you leave). It is a combination of creepy and awesome to be the only person in a deserted library at 9 or 10 at night.

• Love 4
(edited)

Regarding all the CCTV cameras on TV shows that somehow capture everything in perfect clarity and can readily zoom in to see every wrinkle and mole on a suspect -- here's a recent photo from a local bank robbery that was released to the public.

Sure, I recognize that guy!

enhanced.JPG

Edited by Lord Donia
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, Lord Donia said:

Regarding all the CCTV cameras on TV shows that somehow capture everything in perfect clarity and can readily zoom in to see every wrinkle and mole on a suspect -- here's a recent photo from a local bank robbery that was released to the public.

Sure, I recognize that guy!

enhanced.JPG

There's hardly a point to that picture.  Here's what I get from it. I think he's white and he may have a mustache, and I kind of feel like he's older, like in his 60s.  But, what kind of person in their 60s would rob a bank?  You'll never be able to outrun the cops on foot if necessary.

• Love 1

If this were a cop drama, the camera would zoom in to read the logo on his cap and follow it back to where he got it. Then, using a perfectly rendered full-face drawing of his face constructed from all the minute detail they get of his face, the cops would find him and be knocking on his front door within 12 hours. Chung-chung!

• Love 18
1 minute ago, CoderLady said:

If this were a cop drama, the camera would zoom in to read the logo on his cap and follow it back to where he got it. Then, using a perfectly rendered full-face drawing of his face constructed from all the minute detail they get of his face, the cops would find him and be knocking on his front door within 12 hours. Chung-chung!

But then it would turn out that the cap had been stolen.  There's even a stolen cap report filled out 3 weeks ago.

• Love 15