Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Geraldo Rivera, Louie Anderson, Eliot Spitzer, Heather McGhee, and Max Boot

• Start Topic

Geraldo Rivera was so defensive during the entire segment between him and Bill. I understand he wants to defend his former place of employment but it was so cringey. Actually, Geraldo is pretty cringey so I guess it makes sense. 

For Gerlado to tell Bill that his characterization of Fox is a stereotype is quite hilarious, given that Fox in and of itself fits a certain stereotype. Sure, certain hosts are more fair and balanced than others but for the most part the channel overall makes it clear where they stand and a lot of their “news” is intertwined with personal opinion. 

• Love 12

Though I do not like Geraldo at all, Bill looked like a dumbie arguing with him. I wish that someone with better debating skills (Elliot Spitzer perhaps) had gone up against Geraldo. Bill just kept trying to talk over him and yelling about Stormy Daniels when there are so many more important things to be upset about.  

• Love 8

I don't mean to take away from Anderson's specific gig, but goddammit if I'm going to be scolded for finding " Dude in a dress =hilarity" dull, banal, tired. And yes, there is a problem when showrunners can't think of a single female actor to play a role like that. Oh we'll get a dude to do it, it'll be edgy. Fooey.  Not for me, thanks. I continue to think that men are not the best interpreters of women's lives. But don't worry, I won't call for a boycott of the shows advertisers, so you'll be safe. [Eyeroll]

Thank goodness for the panel pushing back against that nonsense. Advertisers have the freedom to  ignore calls to stop sponsoring a show, after all. Maybe they're just voting with their wallets too.

• Love 13
(edited)

Bill has always loved the hateful Ann Coulter and Laura ingraham because they are attractive blonds. Bill is growing into pretty much of a curmudgeon the older her gets. Glad that his panel didn’t let him get away with it.

Edited by Caseysgirl
Inserted a. Word
  • Love 14

Seeing what Geraldo Rivera has become hurts me especially because I used to admire him so much. I watched Goodnight America all the time as a teenager, and he inspired me to make some important career choices (college and seven years in broadcast news.) When he talked about why he left CNBC for Fox News after 9/11, Geraldo was so transparent -- I didn't buy a word about his sympathy for 9/11 victims; I think he just saw W's stupid war as an opportunity to get back in the spotlight.

And did the camera have to cut to Louie Anderson every time he laughed? Was that Bill's way to remind the audience they should be laughing too? 

• Love 4

So, according to Mr. Free Speech himself, Laura Ingraham shouldn't be subjected to an advertiser boycott because of her gutter attack on David Hogg, yet Hillary Clinton needs to go away and never be heard from again for "losing" to Drumpf in the election. That's a mighty strange definition of freedom of speech you got going there, Bill. :-\

40 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

Yes, Bill, we know. You don't like kids.

Bill would make a God awful parent who's kids would pen a Daddy Dearest like book.

• Love 12

Man, between Geraldo and Bill this was one frustrating show. Geraldo has zero credibility at this point. I can't even comprehend the colossal gall of someone to sit there with a straight face and claim there was no collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia. Isn't that a proven fact by now? Haven't several people already been indicted for that very thing? Bill asks about the meeting at Trump Tower with Don Jr. and Geraldo goes "Oh that was dumb, that was nothing," and then tries to change the subject back to Fox News. Good God, he's incredible. Then he complains Trump has gotten the worst press of any president. Why do you think that is?? Could it be his abominable behavior, maybe? All the crazy shit he says and Tweets, maybe?

I didn't buy a word about his sympathy for 9/11 victims; I think he just saw W's stupid war as an opportunity to get back in the spotlight.

Oh, is that what it is? I was trying to decipher his word salad about loving the war or something. Thanks for the clarification.

Then there's Bill and this free speech thing. {Head smack} Again. He's never going to get it. 

What I wish is that they had focused more on why Laura Ingraham said what she did - the fact that right wingers who defend gun nuts are really running scared right now, to the extent that they feel like they have to discredit these Parkland kids. I mean, that just speaks to their level of paranoia right now. And dammit, these kids are getting things done! Bravo to them for organizing a boycott against Ingraham! More power to them! They are accomplishing things nobody else has been able to do. I hope like hell they keep it up.

I do think Bill got it right with New Rules though - it's not about whether you care about kids (clearly he does not) - it's about the hypocrisy of the right wingers paying lip service to the value of children then drastically underfunding education. They also care more about the right to bear arms than a kid's right to be safe at school but that's another topic, sort of. Still, hypocrisy. Republicans have been using "the children" as a cudgel for several decades now because they figure it's something nobody will argue against. We need to expose the fraud of this veneer. 

I also appreciated bits of the monologue, because I myself didn't understand why Trump was all over the news talking about his stupid wall again - so apparently it's because Fox News put a bug in his ear. God, they really do have a symbiotic relationship. (But NO, not "poor Melania." She deserves whatever hell she's living until she walks away.)

• Love 16
23 hours ago, Paws said:

Ugh I cant decide who was more annoying , whining Geraldo or whining Bill.   

Close call but at least Bill wasn't saying, "But Donald Trump never lied to me in forty years!"

10 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

So, according to Mr. Free Speech himself, Laura Ingraham shouldn't be subjected to an advertiser boycott because of her gutter attack on David Hogg, yet Hillary Clinton needs to go away and never be heard from again for "losing" to Drumpf in the election. That's a mighty strange definition of freedom of speech you got going there, Bill. :-\

Bill would make a God awful parent who's kids would pen a Daddy Dearest like book.

Those two things aren't comparable. People wish Hillary would go away because of a feeling - whether or not you personally subscribe to it - that as long as she's in the spotlight, she's keeping the party/anti-Trumpers from really moving forward and finding new voices. She's been in the spotlight nationally since the early '90s, and has been dogged by the same toxic right wing culture all along. Some people are legitimately tired of this and want to hear new voices and see new faces. It's one reason why the right-wing doesn't want to see her go: She's a great boogeyman for them, and she causes a serious divide on the left. That's helps their side.

Along those lines? As long as Ingraham shoots her mouth off, it actually benefits the Parkland kids and their movement, because even moderate people can see how disgusting and vitriolic the right wing nuts are - how threatened they are by these victims - and so the more Ingraham and her ilk attack them, the more they push moderate or indifferent people away from "the Second Amendment at all costs."

• Love 7
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

hen there's Bill and this free speech thing. {Head smack} Again. He's never going to get it. 

What I wish is that they had focused more on why Laura Ingraham said what she did - the fact that right wingers who defend gun nuts are really running scared right now, to the extent that they feel like they have to discredit these Parkland kids. I mean, that just speaks to their level of paranoia right now. And dammit, these kids are getting things done! Bravo to them for organizing a boycott against Ingraham! More power to them! They are accomplishing things nobody else has been able to do. I hope like hell they keep it up.

I do think Bill got it right with New Rules though - it's not about whether you care about kids (clearly he does not) - it's about the hypocrisy of the right wingers paying lip service to the value of children then drastically underfunding education. They also care more about the right to bear arms than a kid's right to be safe at school but that's another topic, sort of. Still, hypocrisy. Republicans have been using "the children" as a cudgel for several decades now because they figure it's something nobody will argue against. We need to expose the fraud of this veneer. 

As far as I'm concerned Bill can eff off.

• Love 2

Laura Ingraham et al. have made a brand out of "punching down," and the beauty of the boycott countermanuever is that it redirects the punch. Bill's being consistently butt-hurt about rejection isn't a good look, nor is his endorsement of those who punch down. As others have said in a similar vein, saying whatever damfool thing you want is indeed your right, but freedom from consequence isn't.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Those two things aren't comparable. People wish Hillary would go away because of a feeling - whether or not you personally subscribe to it - that as long as she's in the spotlight, she's keeping the party/anti-Trumpers from really moving forward and finding new voices. She's been in the spotlight nationally since the early '90s, and has been dogged by the same toxic right wing culture all along. Some people are legitimately tired of this and want to hear new voices and see new faces. It's one reason why the right-wing doesn't want to see her go: She's a great boogeyman for them, and she causes a serious divide on the left. That's helps their side.

Bill went on record to tell her to shut up and go away, which is exactly the opposite of what he claims to stand for in freedom of speech. And she's only a so-called boogeyman because of all the decades of lies and misogynistic hatred emanating from both the right and the far left that eventually led to her "defeat" to serial liar/sociopath Drumpf by a suspected razor thin margin in the EC. AFAIC, she should be allowed to speak out if she so pleases, if for no other reason than her ability to craw under Drumpf's very thin skin.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, Cyranetta said:

Laura Ingraham et al. have made a brand out of "punching down," and the beauty of the boycott countermanuever is that it redirects the punch. Bill's being consistently butt-hurt about rejection isn't a good look, nor is his endorsement of those who punch down. As others have said in a similar vein, saying whatever damfool thing you want is indeed your right, but freedom from consequence isn't.

Bill really ought to wonder about why he always gets nervous when the left has any sort of real win. He goes on and on about how they won't fight dirty but anytime they score a point they're wrong, usually because it's one of the points he doesn't agree with. Is it really a new thing to imagine that a TV personality might get big blow back from taking pot shots at a teenager who survived a massacre because he didn't get into some colleges? Yes, David Hogg is in the public arena but that's not the point. It's not that he's a private citizen, it's that it was a pathetic thing to say. It just happens to be in an area where people haven't already conceded to the right yet (like they have on a lot of their racism and misogyny for instance).

Also he just doesn't see, imo, that there's a real problem with public discourse and it's not that liberals expect people to use the right pronouns. He runs a show where he's constantly helping out with right wing propaganda by bringing on "provocative" people and then scolding people for not being polite to them or letting them talk right past his genuine questions. He keeps clinging to this idea of sunshine being the best disinfectant and meanwhile the right keeps moving the Overton window over further and further until conservatives get to reasonable expect over half the country to prove they're really as human as the other half. He keeps treating conservative commentators as if they're making reasonable points.

• Love 12

Bill was all butt hurt about boycotting, because he's been on the receiving side at some point.  Oh, it hurt his livelihood.  Well, that's part of the game if you've got a political show or are in the public these days.  Anyone has the right to boycott your show, your advertisers, right or wrong.  

The thing that is so annoying to me is, if you feel your original statement was not wrong, do not apologize, do not back down.  Ingraham apologized after advertisers started to pull out of her show.   David Hogg said no, her apology was not sincere, plus she's been saying nasty shit for ages, with no apologies issued.  The Parkland kids were on Bill's show a few weeks ago, and he or one of the others said, all they (lawmakers) understand is money, so we are going after their money.  Bill just laughed and applauded (and the audience loved it).  Where was his outrage then?

Bill wasn't wrong about the lip service given to kids.  As with anything, Republicans are just about the money.  NRA brings in the bucks.  I don't think any educational associations have that kind of money to get them to vote their way.  So guns win over books.

• Love 6

When he has suffered as much as Kathy Griffin has for her ill-chosen photograph and lost a year’s work and had death threats and been put on the no-fly list for his freedom of speech, then he can talk.

Otherwise, sit down, Bill.

• Love 15

If Laura Ingram can troll David Hogg, he can try to organize a boycott of her advertisers.

Some of the things you say may have consequences.

Now Bill may say that may cause her in the future to watch what she says.  That's true, but she could always quit her job and say things anyways.

It's not anyone else's problem that the platform she uses for her "speech" is susceptible to boycotts.

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, attica said:

I don't mean to take away from Anderson's specific gig, but goddammit if I'm going to be scolded for finding " Dude in a dress =hilarity" dull, banal, tired. And yes, there is a problem when showrunners can't think of a single female actor to play a role like that. Oh we'll get a dude to do it, it'll be edgy. Fooey.  Not for me, thanks. I continue to think that men are not the best interpreters of women's lives. But don't worry, I won't call for a boycott of the shows advertisers, so you'll be safe. [Eyeroll]

I had similar feelings prior to actually watching Baskets, but Anderson’s role isn’t really of the Mrs. Doubtfire/Geraldine variety. Baskets is a dark comedy, but the character of Christine Baskets isn’t typical guy in a wig and dress comedy slapstick humor. Anderson’s portrayal is that of a mother in her senior years, coping with loss, health issues and a screwed up family. I’m a woman and I often forget that Christine is being played by a guy. When I read that Christine was based on Louie Anderson’s mother and how much he loved her, it made sense as to why he’s so good in the role. His Emmy was well deserved, IMO.

So Geraldo was bitter that CNBC wouldn’t make him a war correspondent and that’s how he ended up on Fox? Okay. That interview further confirmed that he has a very high opinion of himself while being very thin-skinned. Qualities that he shares with his “friend of 40 years.” 

And I’m dying for Bill to ask Spitzer for his opinion about Stormy Daniels. 

Edited by charmed1
  • Love 10

I thought New Rules was pretty good this week, but the one moment that made me laugh was the segment about Laura Ingraham's advertisers

Bill: "Her advertisers include Jenny Craig, Preparation H and Terminix. I'm already boycotting them ... 'cause I'm not a fat guy with hemorrhoids and termites."
Louis: "What ?"

Max Boot was pretty good -- his first time on the show, as Bill mentioned.  Would like to see him back some time.

On Overtime, Geraldo went on about how we get 'one President at a time' -- that's rich considering what happened during the transition period from Nov. '16 to Jan. 20.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

Though I do not like Geraldo at all, Bill looked like a dumbie arguing with him. I wish that someone with better debating skills (Elliot Spitzer perhaps) had gone up against Geraldo. Bill just kept trying to talk over him and yelling about Stormy Daniels when there are so many more important things to be upset about.  

I have to disagree.  Geraldo was not willing to debate anything.  In some ways it's important to hear from idiots like Geraldo, to dispel the stereotype that only the uneducated love Drumpf and remind people that unfortunately, many who should know better love Drumpf as well.  And Geraldo has always been just as much of a grandstanding, scum-sucking attention-whore as Drumpf, so it only makes sense that he would now defend him.  His perspective is all about me, me, me, and no amount of debating would have helped. 

3 hours ago, charmed1 said:

So Geraldo was bitter that CNBC wouldn’t make him a war correspondent and that’s how he ended up on Fox? Okay. That interview further confirmed that he has a very high opinion of himself while being very thin-skinned. Qualities that he shares with his “friend of 40 years.” 

And I’m dying for Bill to ask Spitzer for his opinion about Stormy Daniels

Of course he wanted to play at being a war correspondent.  Because 9/11 was all about him, and he wanted to look shiny and heroic on TV.  Conveniently forgetting the real war correspondents who came home in body bags.

Yes, that would have been quite the discussion.  Somehow Elliot Spitzer has been publicly rehabilitated, but I'm not sure why.  Who's next, Anthony Weiner?  That said, he voiced good counterpoints to Bill's arguments in favor of Laura Ingraham.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Max Boot was pretty good -- his first time on the show, as Bill mentioned.  Would like to see him back some time.

He's a frequent guest on MSNBC and does a good job there.  And I appreciated Bill's defending of MSNBC, BTW.  Political slant is much more reasonable to defend when it's based on facts rather than lies.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, arachne said:

Seeing what Geraldo Rivera has become hurts me especially because I used to admire him so much

I think Bill genuinely felt the same way. I mean, come on, I can get saying wait for the investigation to complete before jumping to conclusions, but there's been legit indictments and guilty pleas. The "optics" aren't good. 

13 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Bill was all butt hurt about boycotting, because he's been on the receiving side at some point.  Oh, it hurt his livelihood.  Well, that's part of the game if you've got a political show or are in the public these days.  Anyone has the right to boycott your show, your advertisers, right or wrong.  

Bill also took his firing and leveled up quite well. Bill also forgot that he said the n word on his show and still kept his job despite calls for boycotts. So I think free speech is treating him OK. 

I do agree that Ingraham's pathetic comment was actually low key for her. And I do agree that these kids have inserted themselves into the political arena, so it's not like they are off limits from legit criticism. 

She's so arrogant and condescending though that if you can't find the delicious irony that a bunch of kids cost her ads than you're just a bag. 

Here's some free speech - Ingraham used her reasonably good looks to get into a niche market, female while conservative commentator, to get rich and famous because she knew she could get repressed GOP dudebros to eat out of her hand. And Bill gave her a platform.

Boycott that, bitches. 

• Love 12
(edited)

I can’t believe I’m typing this, but Sunny Hostin and Joy Behar did a better job at putting Geraldo’s feet to the fire when he was on The View two weeks ago, than Bill did. And Geraldo is such scum, and can only say good things about Fox because they “were good to him.” And this point at least, Bill pinned on him- “they were good to YOU!” Doesn’t mean they weren’t assholes to others.

Poor Poor Bill- ours to get anyone to agree with him regarding free speech.

I’m peeved that McGhee was mostly quiet and she didn’t even get to speak during Overtime.??

And though I’m not a fan of Louie Anderson, he made a valid point during Overtime-the arrogance of the US thinking that all the Middle East countries need is the same type of democracy that they have. And that the US knows what’s best for them. And then Geraldo monopolized the rest and then they ran out of time.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 4/7/2018 at 12:45 PM, iMonrey said:

Man, between Geraldo and Bill this was one frustrating show. Geraldo has zero credibility at this point. I can't even comprehend the colossal gall of someone to sit there with a straight face and claim there was no collusion between Trump's campaign and Russia. Isn't that a proven fact by now? Haven't several people already been indicted for that very thing? Bill asks about the meeting at Trump Tower with Don Jr. and Geraldo goes "Oh that was dumb, that was nothing," and then tries to change the subject back to Fox News. Good God, he's incredible. Then he complains Trump has gotten the worst press of any president. Why do you think that is?? Could it be his abominable behavior, maybe? All the crazy shit he says and Tweets, maybe

Not just the straight face but the earnest surprise that anyone could possibly think of such a thing. Also, how he challenged Bill to name one thing that pointed to collusion and Bill points to the meeting, and Geraldo immediately poo poos it as the thing that everybody points to. Well, YEAH, because it was FUCKING SHADY.

”Send me to war,” what a bunch of bullshit. SO brave to take a pay cut from 5 million to 3 million. 

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Love 3

Wasn't patriotic war correspondent Geraldo also accused of giving away troop positions? Shut it, you pompous idiot. 

And his mustache disturbs me. Always has. 

• Love 13
On 4/7/2018 at 11:58 AM, CaliCheeseSucks said:

Close call but at least Bill wasn't saying, "But Donald Trump never lied to me in forty years!"

I learned years ago that someone who will do something to someone else is someone who will do that thing to anyone in the right circumstances.  Watch out, Geraldo, say one wrong thing and you too will experience what Trump does to people who cross/annoy/irritate him.

And Geraldo wanting to be remembered as a journalist is too funny for words.  He gave that possibility up years ago when he settled for fame/notoriety over integrity.  Too late now!  Especially on a network that openly spurns factual reporting.  

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, Calamity Jane said:

I learned years ago that someone who will do something to someone else is someone who will do that thing to anyone in the right circumstances.  Watch out, Geraldo, say one wrong thing and you too will experience what Trump does to people who cross/annoy/irritate him.

Also, yes he has lied to you, Geraldo. When he says millions of people voted illegally, that's a lie to you as well as everyone else.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, sistermagpie said:

Also, yes he has lied to you, Geraldo. When he says millions of people voted illegally, that's a lie to you as well as everyone else.

Oh silly @sistermagpie! That's "hysteria!" Or pish-tosh, that's just Drumph being "bombastic," "hyperbolic," and just "goofing off!"

• Love 4

I can't remember if it was in the first interview or on Overtime, but when Geraldo tried to make a self-deprecating joke about The Empty Vault it went over like a lead balloon. I think he was trying to say there was as much evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia as there was in the Empty Vault? Nobody thought it was funny. It does, however, speak to how far right wing apologists will go to perpetuate a lie in the face of growing facts. And I can't decide if it's hubris or denial - is it a dogged determination to repeat that lie over and over again until everyone believes it or do they actually believe it themselves? I also can't decide which is worse.

• Love 1
Just now, iMonrey said:

I can't remember if it was in the first interview or on Overtime, but when Geraldo tried to make a self-deprecating joke about The Empty Vault it went over like a lead balloon. I think he was trying to say there was as much evidence of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia as there was in the Empty Vault? Nobody thought it was funny. It does, however, speak to how far right wing apologists will go to perpetuate a lie in the face of growing facts. And I can't decide if it's hubris or denial - is it a dogged determination to repeat that lie over and over again until everyone believes it or do they actually believe it themselves? I also can't decide which is worse.

It was in the top of the show interview. During Overtime, most of the talk reverted to Islam, and the religion being the reason, according to Bill and Geraldo, why our form of democracy will "never work" in the Middle East.

(edited)
On 4/7/2018 at 12:44 AM, Alexis2291 said:

Geraldo Rivera was so defensive during the entire segment between him and Bill. I understand he wants to defend his former place of employment but it was so cringey.

He was defensive, but I felt he wasn't being defensive of Fox as much as he was being defensive of his own reputation and legacy. "I used to have integrity! Remember? I haven't changed!" Sorry, Geraldo, nobody's buying it.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 6

An awful episode.  Rivera has always been a liar and a lousy reporter; he has not improved with time.  Maher remains touchy about anything from his "tortured" past when he was "persecuted" for his views.  I have never believed in his millionaire viewpoints.  He had a good cast but never used them because they did not agree on Ingrahman's persecution, even though their arguments were strong while his sucked.

• Love 4

So glad the whole panel fought Bill on the boycott issue.  

Ugh  Geraldo.  So glad I could fast forward through it.  So sad he took a pay cut so he couldn’t play at war correspondent.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

So glad the whole panel fought Bill on the boycott issue.  

Ugh  Geraldo.  So glad I could fast forward through it.  So sad he took a pay cut so he couldn’t play at war correspondent.

But he lowered himself to making a marginally less significant 7 figure salary! For AMERICA.