Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I think I have just enough of the trope of a hot female law enforcement paired with a civilian man with a special ability. The Mentalist, Castle, Perception and just recently, Deception. The difference s that Reinhart is a deeper character. Married gay man and ex-CIA. Good that he did not hide that fact. I will give this show a chance.

On the story, does Reinhart really commute from Philadelphia to New York on smaller motorcycle? That is a 100-mile commute.

• Love 8

I do get annoyed by the typical cop show with the female law enforcement officer who's uptight for reasons and she kind of clashes with the quirky outsider being brought in as a consultant until he does something spectacular that makes her soften to him and thus, romantic seeds are planted for the rest of the series.

This....had none of that. I totally blanked on Reinhart being gay. Lizzie wasn't all that uptight and had some pretty amusing moments. Lizzie ended up being a fan of Reinhart's book. Reinhart is not just an outsider, but ex-CIA. Lizzie and Reinhart both opened up on the majority of their secrets right off the bat. They worked well together and were really friendly! Plus, they got right to the case and they didn't dawdle on their personal lives. 

Plus, the cinematography wasn't dark at any point, so I could see what was going on.

Are there imperfections within the show? Sure; Reinhart not being honest with his husband, the trope of one of them getting shot at, or shot in the pilot, and there still being a secret on why he left the CIA is all planted. But it was a cute pilot, the leads were extremely likable, and though it's more bland than other cop shows, it might work in the show's favour. Plus, Alan Cumming is brilliant. I think I'm in for as long as it's around. 

• Love 22

I'm in too, mostly on the strength of Alan Cumming's charisma, and also - as you say - the implicit promise that they're not going to pull a Remington Steele on us (sorry for the centuries-old reference).

My heart aches for the sick doggie. :(  I hope they don't forget about him.

Sigh. Just went over to the show's facebook account, and the homophobes are already coming out of the woodwork. Why do I never learn to avoid facebook comments?

• Love 11

That was a lot of fun.  It feels like it's been forever since a show was so much fun, although logically I know  it was only since the end of last season's major crimes.

The writing was fun but I think that much of it was because of the chemistry of the two leads.  As soon as I saw that Alan Cummings was an EP, I thought that Dylan was going to be gay (otherwise why leave Broadway) and it makes it even better that there is no heavy handed "Will they or won't they?"  They won't, so now I can just sit back and enjoy the show.

Even the psychobabble wasn't so bad.  And yay, there is an actual reason why the writer sidekick is worthy to be taken to arrest the perp -- he's ex CIA and can handle himself.

52 minutes ago, surreysmum said:

My heart aches for the sick doggie. :(  I hope they don't forget about him.

The only downside of the episode.  Poor doggie, I hope they can save him.

• Love 11

YES! finally a show that realizes how difficult (make that impossible) it is to read texts being typed on a phone screen! can't tell you how much information i miss, so i'm thrilled that this show enlarges the text. yes, i know, cbs's viewership skews old. finally, here's an advantage!

• Love 15

The MML household is soooo in. Characters we actually like! I mean, we both must have gotten a little sand in our  eyes when Reinhart carried Lizzie out of the courthouse to the ambulance, and we just met them fifty minutes ago.... Gary better hang in there.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 11

I'm in. I remember Lizzie (Bojana Novakovic) from Rake. I think she's really going to make it being Dylan's (Alan Cumming) sidekick or vice versa.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

So does this fit the parameters of a Sherlock Holmes reimagining?

The director sure telegraphed the perp in his first scene, but then they offered little to explain his motivation.

For a show starring Alan Cummng, it was disappointingly just okay.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Everybody keeps saying he's getting fat, I wonder if that is going to be important later on.

I just couldn't resist:  "everyone's getting fat, except Mama Cass."

• Love 9
41 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

For a show starring Alan Cummng, it was disappointingly just okay.

I'm willing to give them a little time to settle in and find the tone. Though it looks as if they're pitching it pretty light, they have an actor in Cumming who can certainly go as dark or complex (or even creepy) as they ask of him.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

The Mentalist, Castle, Perception and just recently, Deception.

Also Limitless and Falling Water.

I love AC, and I agree the show is refreshingly closing the door on a few of the more annoying tropes, but I found this episode extremely thin. I will hang in a while longer to see how it goes, but I do need better writing and less of a fluffy vibe, I think. I don't mind fluff if it's also funny or otherwise satisfying, but I just wasn't getting that from this installment. Hopefully it improves.

• Love 5

I really liked it. I saw Alan Cumming on a talk show recently and he said how he was happy to be in a show where the main character was gay, but being gay didn't define the character and wasn't part of the plot. He just happened to be gay. I love his normal accent and I thought he did a good job sounding American. The only part I don't like is her having a dying dog. It doesn't fit somehow with the light tone and it will make me wonder every week, Is THIS the episode where the dog dies? I hope somehow he never does.

• Love 5

The one thing I disliked is the dog subplot.  Now everyone is going to be focused on that stupid dog and if it’s not on every episode.  Oh never mind.  My issue with animals on tv.   Unless they are crucial to the plot why bother?  Half the audience is going to be more focused on the dog then the plot of the show. 

The dog will probably appear a minute the beginning and end of 2/3rds of the show this season and die during the finale just as the main female character is ready to get over the death of her husband/partner?  Which sends her spiraling again.

As for the show itself.  I am not the biggest fan of procedurals.  This one isn’t bad but it’s not exactly good either.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
I have to stop typing before I have my caffeine in the morning
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I think I have just enough of the trope of a hot female law enforcement paired with a civilian man with a special ability. The Mentalist, Castle, Perception and just recently, Deception.

Even Lucifer has this at its base (although she is not really aware of his "special abilities:) and I still remember a Canadian series that ran for 5 seasons with the same setup: The Listener. Also with a reversal of role: Medium.

• Love 2

I liked it, which means it is doomed.

I'm old and I like uncomplicated procedural dramas.  Especially on Sunday nights with the late start times because of boring but lucrative sports, and the 15 minutes of commercials that make every hour long drama just 45 minutes.  Add too many subplots about evil corporations or crazy-eyed men out to rule the world (Timeless just returned to the airwaves) and you've lost me.  And Alan Cummings is just interesting to watch, which is really rare.   

9 hours ago, statsgirl said:

The only downside of the episode.  Poor doggie, I hope they can save him

Normal folks can't do anything about aging pets.  Barbara Streisand was recently in the news about cloning her dog, and since Alan Cummings has mad CIA connections - maybe there is hope for Gary 2.0.   

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Lizzie and Reinhart both opened up on the majority of their secrets right off the bat

This was really different.  Lazier writers would have left those subplots on the table for when they ran out of ideas.   I was surprised when he admitted being CIA right off the bat. 

9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Everybody keeps saying he's getting fat,

Alan Cummings looked fine, they just stuck him in a tight jacket..  Naveen Andrews was surprising.  He used to be so beautiful.  He's still handsome, but noticeably less so.

• Love 9
22 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

I think I have just enough of the trope of a hot female law enforcement paired with a civilian man with a special ability. The Mentalist, Castle, Perception and just recently, Deception.

20 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

A retread, mish-mash of Castle, Elementary and dozens of other shows.

17 hours ago, possibilities said:

Also Limitless and Falling Water.

12 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Even Lucifer has this at its base (although she is not really aware of his "special abilities:) and I still remember a Canadian series that ran for 5 seasons with the same setup: The Listener. Also with a reversal of role: Medium.

As Joel McHale once (sorta) said:   "Taxi Brooklyn is a show where a female police detective has lost her drivers license and now must have a Brooklyn taxi driver take her around to crime scenes.  What the hell did I just say??"

Edited by Twilight Man
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Everybody keeps saying he's getting fat, I wonder if that is going to be important later on.

I found it bizarre actually, I saw no evidence of fat, just a tight suit (which, again, didn't make him look fat - at least to me).

2 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

Alan Cummings looked fine, they just stuck him in a tight jacket..  Naveen Andrews was surprising.  He used to be so beautiful.  He's still handsome, but noticeably less so.

I think Naveen is looking better than he did in Sense8 - and I personally still think he's beautiful. Age impacts us all. But to be fair, I find men with history in their face far more appealing than shiny new ones.

It's not groundbreaking, but there was enough in it that I'll keep watching. For a pilot, I think it's actually pretty good. I did guess who the Dealer was when he first appeared, but that's okay too. Sometimes I like to feel smart. :)

• Love 6

With its early 7 pm slot, I thought it had just the right level of lightness and complexity. Reinhart’s tweed jackets were fitted like those we saw in Scotland last year—perhaps a little nod to AC’s roots?

• Love 2

Another show following the model: Life,  starring Damien Lewis and Sarah Shahi.

I also saw AC do an interview where he talked about the show and why he was excited to be part of it, and that is why I tuned in. In addition to the normalized gay lead issue, he also talked about how he felt about the whole issue of carrying a gun, which I appreciated. It seems unlikely that he'd have signed on to the show it it was going to be badly written or boring. He's way too thoughtful and has way too much else going on (it's not like he can't get work otherwise or something) and he tends to associate himself with interesting projects.

The dog thing is hard for me, too. But it did establish that they are capable of being serious and not just sparring or engaging in funny banter. I do like a show that can switch emotional levels and characters who have dimensions. I wish there was a way to do it without giving me sad animals, though.

• Love 4

I enjoyed this new show, the script isn't that good, but Alan C. is so wonderful, who cares.  We shall see how it goes. I'll put on my DVR, but remember folks, there is a basketball game every week before the show so it will run late, set your DVR for an additional hour on the same channel. Taa Taa. 

• Love 3

So that was pretty awful.  Not that I was expecting much, but still.  I may give it another week simply because this was the first episode and some of the weak points might be rectified, but life is too short to watch beyond that if it doesn't get better very quickly.  Not even Naveen Andrews is worth suffering that much for too many weeks.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Mermaid Under said:

Normal folks can't do anything about aging pets.  Barbara Streisand was recently in the news about cloning her dog, and since Alan Cummings has mad CIA connections - maybe there is hope for Gary 2.0.   

That was my first thought too, which could make it interesting regarding the controversy on the subject of cloning, as well the debate about genetics vs. life experiences. 
Otherwise, I thought it was unconscionable to use a dying dog of a dead fiancé as a prop to humanize the otherwise self described cold hearted female lead. Were they thinking a dog is cheaper than another actor to play a family member? And easier to write around?    
Plus, I was getting emotional whiplash between Lizzie crying about her dying dog and then laughing with Reinhart.

• Love 1
On 3/18/2018 at 11:37 PM, HerkyJerky said:

I thought it was boring.  A retread, mish-mash of Castle, Elementary and dozens of other shows.

Me too. But without any UST. There is nothing at all interesting here. 

• Love 3

So far, totally meh.  I'll give it a few more weeks to see how it goes.  Alan Cummings is good; I also liked that he is gay and married, thus taking him hooking up with the woman cop off the table.   I don't like that she has a killed in action fiance and an old/sick dog.  

For some reason this show kept making me think of" The Secrets of Laura".  Maybe the production or direction or trying to be somewhat light - dunno.  Now that they moved "Madam Secretary" to the timeslot of doom and when "Elementary" comes back to what's being rumored as it's final season, it seems that Sunday night CBS viewing may be a slog.   Thank God for the DVR if you can figure out what time to set it for.  

This seems like a painted-by-the numbers lost in a trash Law and Order: Criminal Intent script that was re-written for Elementary and still ended up in a trash bin. It's just boring. While Alan Cumming and the Pale Lady have nice on-screen chemistry, everything else feels forced, especially the Reinhart's special snowflake CIA operative/murder mystery writer/criminal psychology professor backstory because he doesn't look like any of those things. The entire premise of a spouse being opposed to a main character's line of work is also cliched and boring, and in this case completely underdeveloped and uninteresting because the husband doesn't have any personality whatsoever (so far?). Plus from the episode itself it seems like Reinhart would rather hang out with anyone else but him. I expect the husband will end up in some kind of peril and will find out about Reinhart's new job and they'll fight about that. Exciting.

That dying dog looks kind of fat and lazy to me. What's all about anyway? Why is it alive?

• Love 3

They didn't try to make the dog appear cute, which, if my friend's Facebook page is any indication, shouldn't be that hard to do, so I'm guessing poor Fido/Gary isn't long for this world, which really puts a cloud of gloom over the lighthearted stuff.

Why so much emphasis on the dog? He was on screen for maybe 30 seconds.

Yes, its tragic to lose a pet as I know from RL experience, but this is scripted television.

The dog will eventually die, she'll cry and that will be that.

• Love 2

Based on some of the positive comments here I may give this a chance. Maybe.

But with Elementary on its way out (probably), this really just looks like CBS tried to re-imagine that into a new series.

• Love 5

I enjoyed this show. I liked that it was a light procedural without having a smart ass/know it all/ comic relief sidekick. Alan Cummings is great and I'm glad they established his educational and CIA background right away. I think the leads have good chemistry and I'm glad it's never going to venture into a romantic relationship. 

I didn't like the fiance was killed backstory.Why do TV cops always have a loved one killed?  Why couldn't Lizzie just be single because she hasn't found the right guy yet? My other complaint is Whoopi Goldberg.  Ugh! She is the worst!

• Love 3
(edited)

Alan Cummings is good; I also liked that he is gay and married, thus taking him hooking up with the woman cop off the table. 

Yes! But... don't shoot me, i LOVE AC and will watch anything with him in it, but the makeup they used on him was FAR TOO VISIBLE. i get it, he's not the spring chicken, yada yada but dang! 

I felt the episode was rushed and tried too hard to be witty and cute. The way the detective and her boss, i mean friend, i mean,  Jas... 

i do know the mayor though.  Personally. I loved seeing her in this part! I hope i see more of her but she's been busy with the ERA and a documentary. Exciting. 

Edited by hatchetgirl
Updating spelling
  • Love 2

I thought it was a decent beginning. Eli Gold writes books with Guinen. Lol. I think one reason they were telling Dylan he was looking fat, or his stories were getting boring was to help him branch out and help Detective Lizzy. To get him more active, Instead of feel safe and just write books and be a Professor. I did wonder who took over his class when he was on a case? i wasn't sure that Dylan spilled all his history secrets to soon, like that he was ex CIA?

They needed a story line for Det. Needham to have to use Ex CIA Reinhart on her cases. So her spouse being dead, and other officers hitting on her kid of helps, and the hitting on part lightens it up. Sure you can match this to many other shows that have kinda the same formula. But I am in to watch it because I don't dig to deep into the formulas of shows. If I like the Characters and the action, I'm in. I liked Julian Cousins on Lost. He can fit in here, and help the story. it is also nice that Dylan has a significant other in Andy. Sure not telling him right off the bat what is up, will make for problems. And the Lt. Gooden and Mayor Myers added in could make for interesting episodes.

I have seen episode 2 so I can't remember all of the case. i may have to watch it again. But I'm in. And can't wait for Elementary's return.

• Love 1