Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Risking Arrest

• Start Topic

30 minutes ago, Cara said:

He was still a young man. I think we are all aware that people used to get married at a much younger age than is common now. Both of my grandmothers got married as teenagers. You are missing the point of the discussion and are trying to compare apples and oranges.

I'm not missing the point, I was disagreeing with the poster who wrote this:

"It was actually started with Horny Joe (Joseph Smith) and Breed'em Young (Brigham Young). While in this thirties, he married and slept with fourteen year old girls, claiming that God commanded for those unions to take place. He slept with many women that were not his wife, and passed it off as polygamy as a way to justify this actions.

Brigham Young also married teenagers. I believe some of his wives were as young as fifteen."

by giving an example of a non-Mormon man, marrying a girl half his age that had just turned into a teenager the month before the wedding and everyone was just fine with it.

Judging the past as appalling/disgusting/perverse by looking through the lens of today's mores is comparing apples to oranges.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Still haven't seen the show but I won't hold it against Logan as a teen giving Paedon a hard time during the stupid move. I'm guessing he was badgered by Kody to get the kids to cooperate and he was also under the belief that the cops were coming to take Kody away in handcuffs at any moment.

Yes, I think he was stressed out beyond all belief too.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Ratings are in:  1.266 M viewers and a .34 rating.

14th ranked cable show of the evening.

For comparison Seeking Sister Wives had 966K viewers and a surprising .30 rating.

The Snowden drama is pulling them in!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

For comparison Seeking Sister Wives had 966K viewers and a surprising .30 rating.

Seeking Sister Wives is such a train wreck and it comes on right after Sister Wives, so it makes it easy to watch.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Why do they think we give a crap about "polygamist plight" when they couldn't even barely get any polygamists to show up? FT had more people at his Arctic Blast wedding! Maybe they should have given away some tacos...

A lot of polygamist families don't want to go public or be seen on tv. The Browns and Joe Darger talked about how they reached out to many friends and family members who said no.

That doesn't mean that they are ashamed or don't care. There are many reasons why a plyg family would want to stay under the radar.

• Love 6

Did you all like the FU Internet moment with Sobbyn crying because, according to Kody, when she gets passionate about something...well...she CRIES.  On the TH, he's all, "just let it out - no one is going to make fun of you here." 

Well, maybe not in that room...but this board sure as hell will!!

• Love 20
1 hour ago, kicotan said:

I'm not missing the point, I was disagreeing with the poster who wrote this:

"It was actually started with Horny Joe (Joseph Smith) and Breed'em Young (Brigham Young). While in this thirties, he married and slept with fourteen year old girls, claiming that God commanded for those unions to take place. He slept with many women that were not his wife, and passed it off as polygamy as a way to justify this actions.

Brigham Young also married teenagers. I believe some of his wives were as young as fifteen."

by giving an example of a non-Mormon man, marrying a girl half his age that had just turned into a teenager the month before the wedding and everyone was just fine with it.

Judging the past as appalling/disgusting/perverse by looking through the lens of today's mores is comparing apples to oranges.

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else for that matter. You're right, it was a different time back and the age of consent was lower than it is now. But I will be honest and say that some of what I learned about polygamy in that during my research disturbs me. And I'll just leave it at that.

The point that I was trying to make was that for Kody to blame the "legislature" for creating pedophiles makes zero sense. To me it was lile he was playing the "I'm a victim because I'm a polygamist" card. There is pedophilia within some of the polygamist sects (and I am aware that there are some sects that aren't) because they are very closely following what Joseph Smith and Brigham Young had done  in that day. If you look at the FLDS, they are still living in that time. One of the only things modern with that group is the technology and vehicles.

So again, I apologize. I should have worded things differently. I didn't mean to offend.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 8

I read that Christine's grandfather did in fact go to jell for polygamy. But FOR ONE NIGHT. She makes it sound as if he was sent up the river and was never seen again.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Kody' s including welfare fraud in his list of plyg sins. We all know the other wives used to *visit* Christine's pantry for SNAP items.

Why can Janelle never sit like a lady ? She sits like Kody, legs spread wide apart. Her belly is not that big that she cannot arrange herself in a ladylike fashion.

Robyn, oh Robyn, you are such a strong, brave, hero, martyr. Sniffle, sniffle.

Mariah is starting to do the annoying Meri shrug.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I apologize if I offended you or anyone else for that matter. You're right, it was a different time back and the age of consent was lower than it is now.

The point that I was trying to make was that for Kody to blame the "legislature" for creating pedophiles makes zero sense. To me it was lile he was playing the "I'm a victim because I'm a polygamist" card. There is pedophilia within some of the polygamist sects (and I am aware that there are some sects that aren't) because they are very closely following what Joseph Smith and Brigham Young had done  in that day. If you look at the FLDS, they are still living in that time. One of the only things modern with that group is the technology and vehicles.

So again, I apologize. I should have worded things differently. I didn't mean to offend.

No worries!

Im not offended by your comments regarding any of the present day or historical figures of the LDS and it's several currently unaffiliated branches.  I'm not a member of their faith whatsoever.

I think that Kody isn't very articulate or smart, but what I got from his blathering was that he feels that a prohibition on polygamy means they must live in hiding, and living in hiding makes it easier for abuses to go unreported/unnoticed/unaddressed.  Sort of like when the Roman Catholic Church was finally brought to task for hiding the shuffling of pedophile priests from one parish to another, it became harder for them to engage in their pedophile activities.

Either that or he's just following the production script to say outrageous things that will generate social media traffic that includes #sisterwives.

• Love 7

I'm a little late with my watching this week (sorry!), and y'all have painted such an unattractive picture that I'm even more apprehensive than usual.  Well, *deep breath*, here goes.

Previouslies:

Mariah and Audrey are dating.

Meri and Janelle marched, putting Kody's panties in a bunch.

We open at Christine's house where Kody is sitting in a fancy office room that I don't remember seeing before.  He's agitated and wants everybody gathered up.  For those keeping track at home (maybe it's just me), we're back to fall decorations in the house.  The director asks Kody what's going on.  He answers that their lawsuit will not be heard by the Supreme Court.  What lawsuit, you ask?  Kody continues - they filed a suit against the Utah Attorney for starting an investigation against their polygamist family.  Apparently the Browns needed to be made an example of when they went public and the Attorney threatened to arrest them.  We flashback to the very first episode when a considerably younger-looking Kody introduced the wives (whoa, the years have not been kind to Meri, either) and gave a tour of the Lehi house.  Meri interviews that they found out they were under investigation the day after that episode aired.  Flashback to a cameraman outside the Lehi house, with Robyn saying that press are coming to the house.  Janelle interviews that the kids schoolmates' made comments about their dad going to jail.  Sheriffs drove by the Lehi house and freaked out the kids.  Then we watch them pack up trailers while someone says, "Hurry!  Hurry!," and sirens whine in the background.  Back in the present day, Christine says that they left Utah because they wanted to live as a family and not be broken up.  They filed the suit six months after moving to Vegas, and Kody says that two and a half years later they "won."  When she got the news, Robyn contacted polygamist relatives to let them know they were no longer a felon and the threat was gone.  But, Janelle tells us, pesky Utah had to appeal to have the decision overturned.  The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected the case on mootness since the Browns had moved out of state.  Now the Supreme Court has declined to review the case, and Kody says, "it's essentially dead."  Christine tells us they're back at the beginningk.  

The wives are now assembled in said fancy office room.  Janelle is especially fired up by the news and wants to engage in some political activism.  She voiceovers that she doesn't want to go back to the secrecy and fear.  Robyn tries to muster up some tears as she says that the lawsuit was always their one hope.   When she asks if this means they can't move back to Utah, Kody responds that they would always be second class citizens.  Meri recalls how they signed paperwork about where the kids would go in the event the parents were arrested.  When Kody points out that no polygamists have been arrested in the past six years, Robyn and Christine say it's because nobody is as public and such a threat as the Browns.  Kody says that Joe Darger's family has been.  Joe has suffered persecution and is organizing a march on the Capitol during the legislative session.  There's a new bill called H.B. 99 which would target people who are already married and purport to marry and cohabitate with another person.  Janelle tells us that this is specifically targeting religious polygamy and is a felony charge with 5 years in prison per count.  Kody wants to call Joe to get the date of the march, but Christine is scared of joining in because she thinks the past 6 years haven't changed anything.  Kody says this is her old self and asks, "where's the person who's not scared anymore?"  Christine explains that her biggest fear growing up was that her dad would be arrested, and likewise doesn't want her kids seeing her arrested.  Apparently she's been overruled, because the phone is ringing and Joe answers.  Joe's disappointed about the lack of justice, too.  Meri repeats that they could be arrested and put in prison.  On the phone with Joe, the gents want decriminalization and Kody adds that he wants to be able to run for office.  Where did that come from?  Has he been watching Big Love again?  Christine says that this is bigotry.  When the call ends Kody is even more hysterical, ranting how "they" are so arrogant and always looking down their noses at polygamists.  He wants the legislature to know that not all polygamists are abusers and welfare fraudsters, etc.; the government actually created those people by making them live in secrecy!  Robyn isn't sure about participating because she has little kids.  Janelle is itching to go.  Christine employs her whispery voice that I don't remember hearing in a while to state that the risk of arrest is real.  Kody concludes the meeting with a prayer for liberty and thanks for their "beautiful exile" in Vegas.  Christine is sobbing with fear when the prayer concludes.

The family is going to visit their lawyer, Ronald Reynolds.  You may remember him from the DayunAuroraBreanna adoption saga.  Reynolds is an entertainment lawyer and features the Browns on his website along with other showbiz clients.  Ahem.  Kody wants to have  a plan in case that shadowy "they" gets aggressive with the family when they go back to Utah.  Meri thinks they will be made an example of because they're felons.  Did I miss a conviction somewhere?  In Ron's office, Kody explains that the suit is dead and the wives are afraid of going back to Utah.  He repeats to Ron that they are second class citizens who don't have the same rights as others and can't run for office because of the "purport" language in that new bill.  He wants them to set up a plan for the kids in case any of the adults get arrested.  Didn't Meri just tell us that they already did that?!  Ron explains a durable power of attorney to them.  Christine would choose Robyn, with Aspyn as a backup in case Robyn decides to enter the lions' den and march after all.  On the couch, Robyn breaks down as she insists she's a fierce woman who would totally fight tyranny and oppression if it weren't for her little kids.  Kody encourages her to let it out, and says that they won't mock her tears.  I will, but I'm a mean monogamist.  She wishes she could go with "colors flying" and "march the hell out of it."  I still don't see any tears.

It's time for the requisite family gathering and announcement.  There are now Valentine's Day decorations in Christine's house, so the parents have taken their sweet time.  A very pregnant Maddie comes in.  Kody opens the meeting by asking who remembers why the family left Utah, and Paedon answers.  Christine interviews that she wants all of her kids to participate in the march because they are the proof that the Browns are a competent, successful plural family.  Kody tells the story of the lawsuit to the kids and explains the plan for the march.  Dayton asks how big the crowd would be, and Kody says he'd like to see thousands but knows that other families may be afraid to come out.  Christine talks about fear again.  Ysabel asks if the parents will go to jail, and Kody answers that they have no idea.  Aspyn would like to go to the march.  Meri voiceovers that if she had her way (when does she not?) every single member of the family would go.  Paedon doesn't want to go.  On the couch with the other older kids, they recognize that their parents are honestly afraid of being arrested, but the kids don't believe it would actually happen.  Meri is disappointed in Paedon.  Oh yeah?  Where's Mariah, Eyebrows?  (Sorry, I couldn't hold that one in.)  Christine wants Paedon there because he's a "protector."  Janelle says that Gabe and Savanah will stay home.  Robyn has also decided to stay home with temporary guardianship of all the kids left behind.  She says that's scary, and I think so, too.  Maddie and Caleb are undecided.  

After the break, Caleb explains that polygamy is against his faith.  But, as cheery guitar music starts up, he says that he sees how loving and amazing the Browns are, so he's in.  Kody and Christine are touched.  Janelle finds it amazing that it's the 21st century and people want to tell her who she can and can't have in her bed.  Nobody cares about your bed, Janelle.  Kody asks Dayton to consider but says there's no pressure from him or Robyn, unlike Paedon being under pressure from Christine.  Speak of the devil - Meri informs the group that she let Mariah know about the march, but that Mariah's response was essentially that it wasn't her fight.  We flashback to the older kids being told about the flight from Utah and packing.  Paedon says that he went to a very dark place after that for about 3 years.  We flashback again to his horrified face and eventual tears when hearing the news of the move.  He voiceovers that he took it hard for a long time, and thought that his parents did this to hurt him.  Flashback to Logan getting pissy with Paedon over the number of boxes he'd packed.  Christine tells us that Paedon has been her angriest child, whereas before the move he was her happiest.  She acknowledges that they ripped him away from his life and friends and in Vegas he had nothing, so when the courts dismissed the lawsuit because the Browns hadn't really been injured by the state, that was a lie.  "They harmed my boy!"   I just...I can't right now.  

The march is in 2 days and Christine has drawn up the paperwork to give Robyn legal guardianship of her kids.  Christine tries again to persuade Paedon to come to the march.  He is a firm no, and mentions that he was uncomfortable even going back to Utah for Mykelti's wedding.  Let's be honest, lots of people were uncomfortable there.  At Robyn's house, which has also received the Valentine's treatment, Christine hands over her checking account information and power of attorney.  Christine is thrilled that Robyn is staying behind and will take care of everything.  She wishes legislators could see how much she trusts Robyn.  Robyn asks Christine to keep her in the loop during the event, because Kody isn't good about communication and Robyn knows she'll be a nervous wreck waiting to hear from them.  Dayton will be attending after all.  Robyn voiceovers that they have been felons for a hundred years, but there are more plural families now than ever before and they just keep growing despite the lawmakers because the religion is so important to so many people.  Uhuh.  $cientology says the same thing.

It's the morning of the march and Kody greets Christine briefly then goes upstairs to pack.  They're both still sad that Paedon won't come.  Now Kody pops up at Janelle's and she's got a ton of stuff in her master suite but my eye is drawn to a blond wig hanging over the mirror.  Does this mean we're going to be treated to another flash mob performance that'll air in about a year and a half?  As they pack, Kody speculates that Utah is coming down hard on polygamists because they're embarrassed by it, and that because of people like Warren Jeffs all polygamists will be thrown under the bus.  Janelle is surprised that more families won't take the risk and come forward.  On the couch, Christine reveals that she made a lot of phone calls to fellow plural families asking them to march, and got a lot of rejections.  Kody thinks it'll look weak if a lot of people don't show up, and especially wives and children.  He goes over to Robyn's, where Aspyn sits at the counter drinking coffee so I'm guessing she still lives there.  Robyn is apparently not too pretty to cook because she's making eggs for breakfast while she tells us that she's nervous about Dayton's participation.  If people start to get arrested, she's told Dayton to grab some of the kids and hide.    Robyn wishes she could ask legislators to visit functional polygamists  to see how they feel about their families and ask them if they had made their own choices.  The women are strong and will tell exactly how they feel.  Ooh, let's start by sending them tape of last week's session between Meri and Janelle and Therapist Nancy, shall we?  In her kitchen, Robyn tells Kody that she almost didn't marry him because she was apprehensive about being on the show.  She had seen her parents live in fear and secrecy.  Now she feels mad that so many people won't stand up and join the march.  Uhh, pot, kettle?  In the street, Robyn and Christine hug goodbye.  Christine loads Truely into the car, who has a sign that reads, "No more dumb rules!"

The Brown caravan is rolling into Utah, and from the way Kody is talking about perpetual threat I expect SWAT vehicles to suddenly descend from the snowy mountains and run them off the road.  Luckily they make it unscathed to a friend's house for a meeting and Christine says there's no fear of arrest tonight.  Joe Darger and wives are present.  Joe says he's had a meeting with the lieutenant governor.  The Dargers want the government to understand that they want to help end abuse but make sure that innocent families are not hurt at the same time.  Alina Darger shares that as a teen she was approached by a man in a car who exposed himself to her, but she didn't call the police because she knew the responding officers would come to the house and see that there were multiple wives in her family.  Christine then repeats this entire story to us in her solemn, whispery voice.  Joe starts the meeting and Christine thanks everyone for being willing to come out.  Is she wearing a Star of David?  Enoch Foster, who is present with two wives, says he sent out 250-300 texts about the march and most people responded that they were scared to attend.  A woman named Angela says that non-polygamist acquaintances have told her they want to come march because it sounds like a civil rights issue.  Joe notes that in the past they haven't been very concerned about women's rights, black rights, immigrant rights, etc., but he thinks they need to be inclusive now and stand for liberty in all communities.  He emphasizes that they're doing this to end abuse.  Kody wishes that people were more able to intellectually separate the concepts of polygamy and abuse.  Joe starts going into the logistics of the march and asks if anyone has a song they want to sing, and I'm praying that Christine doesn't pipe up.  On the couch, she does say that she's frustrated by the apparent lack of organization and says that polygamists will be too scared to chant.  Uhhh, ok.  I guess chanting is right up there with toasters in the plyg world.  Kody is worried that the small group gathered at the meeting will be the only ones who show up at the march tomorrow.

It's time to march and Christine is nervous, but Kody is giddy about, "playing on their turf."  Apropos of something I can't discern, Kody says that the Vegas casinos are not as big as the LDS buildings in Salt Lake City, which I'm not really buying because once on spring break it took me hours to stumble through the MGM Grand.  The Brown contingent meets up with Meri's mother.  Then Mariah, Audrey, and another friend show up.  Kody tells them that this is not a protest but a liberty rally.  We're treated to Meri's thoughts on her reunion with Mariah.  Mariah gets salty over a sign that says, "If we were gay we'd be ok."  Caleb says that he's on the lookout for cops.  A dapper Joe shows up in a suit and there's some confusion between him and Christine on whether or not she will give a speech.  The march begins down some residential-looking streets and the crowd yells, "Families, not felons!"  When they assemble on the steps of the Capitol, Joe speaks about the new bill.  Kody interviews about his regrets over keeping silent in the past, and how when the family lived in Wyoming (which isn't Utah) they wouldn't acknowledge each other.  He says that he never excelled after he became a polygamist because he hid, and that talented Christine and kind Robyn also hid.  As Joe continues, some counter protesters begin shouting for no more child abuse, and Joe works their message into his speech.  Kody, on the other hand, says that his initial response to those women was that they should sit down and shut up, but that Joe changed his thinking.  Donia Jessop then comes up to speak, and she's from the FLDS/Warren Jeffs community.  She kept her religious beliefs and now speaks out about the abuses in that community.  Now it's time for Christine's speech, and of course Kody comes up to the podium with her.  She breaks the mic, and on that awkward note we pause for commercial.

When we resume, Christine has procured a functioning mic and Meri and Janelle have joined Kody up on the steps.  Christine begins by saying that she just heard about the march (um, in the fall...) and couldn't decide if she wanted to go because she was so scared.  She was raised to live in fear, but decided she had to come to help change the laws.  When she married, "badass Kody Brown," he was already married but that didn't matter to her because she believed in plural marriage and got to choose the man she wanted to marry.  Christine goes on to talk about the lawsuit and how good it felt to decriminalize plural marriage, and how many positive responses she heard from other plygs.  The Supreme Court rained on that parade when they chose not to hear the case, but, Christine concludes, "they didn't see us coming!"  The group adjourns to the Salt Lake Brewing Company for whatever post-march beverage you can get in Salt Lake City.  Janelle voiceovers that she still has trouble sleeping at night, and that she can't imagine how afraid the plural families of Utah are.  Caleb congratulates Christine on her speech.  Meri thanks Mariah and Audrey for coming.  Meri wishes they could see polygamy as a women's rights issue.  Logan estimates that 300-400 people showed up.  Robyn tells us that Christine called her after the rally as promised to let her know that everything was ok and nobody was arrested.  As somber piano music plays, Kody notes that H.B. 99 passed and that their only hope is that the governor will veto the bill.  Meri says that it's a problem that the legislature didn't even consider polygamists to be human enough to hear their case.  Robyn says that when "sister wives" is a cute term rather than something dirty, she'll feel free.  So she named her business after something dirty?  Kody doesn't know what's next and says he wants to cry.

Next week:  Ysabel's scoliosis brace isn't working and she may be facing surgery.  Kody and Meri's marriage isn't working and they are definitely facing Therapist Nancy. 

• Love 18
17 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

ou

I watched that episode this morning while on my bus commute to work this morning. I cringed when Kody made that statement.

It was actually started with Horny Joe (Joseph Smith) and Breed'em Young (Brigham Young). While in this thirties, he married and slept with fourteen year old girls, claiming that God commanded for those unions to take place. He slept with many women that were not his wife, and passed it off as polygamy as a way to justify this actions.

Brigham Young also married teenagers. I believe some of his wives were as young as fifteen.

This is probably why you have men in the FLDS, The LeBaron Group, the Kingston Group and creepers like Tom Green marrying fourteen year olds because it began with Smith and Young. Pedophilia began with those men. (I've also read that Brigham Young had done evil things to his wives. I'll have to find the source.) Flora Jessop (former FLDS member) even said in an interview that "if you want to see what pure and original Mormonism is, look at Warren Jeffs." Other former FLDS members (the surname of one of them being Mackert. His first name escapes me) said that Joseph Smith and Brigham Young had done the same thing was Jeffs, but to worse degree.

So no Kody Brown, the legislators did not create to pedophiles and perverts. It began with your "gods" Joseph Smith and Brigham Young. Do your research!

Polygamy is the dark ages. Defending it is insanity. And I don't care how "happy" these brainwashed, brain dead zombies say they are. There are plenty of people "happy" torturing animals or shoplifting. Being "happy" isn't an argument for doing something fucked up. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

A lot of polygamist families don't want to go public or be seen on tv. The Browns and Joe Darger talked about how they reached out to many friends and family members who said no.

That doesn't mean that they are ashamed or don't care. There are many reasons why a plyg family would want to stay under the radar.

Well, we'll never know the reason, will we? All I can comment on is what I saw. A pathetic turnout for a seriously questionable cause. Looks like the passion the Brown Clowns had, failed to ignite their fellow plygs. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 7
20 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Robyn says that when "sister wives" is a cute term rather than something dirty, she'll feel free.  So she named her business after something dirty?  Kody doesn't know what's next and says he wants to cry.

Very nice synopsis.    Two hours of bore.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, sharkerbaby said:

I could be wrong but for some reason, I thought they did have guardianships determined, drawn up, and in place.  I could swear they had talked about this issue during the whole adoption of Robyn's kids saga.  I figured maybe Christine had named say Janelle but since Janelle was also going needed to enact a "back-up plan" and name Robyn temporarily.

Absolutely agree with this and just wanted to highlight it.  

Judging the past using today's lens is such a common and unfair practice and it happens ALL the time.  I personally am saddened but not particularly surprised by it considering how judgemental and intolerant of other's perspectives, beliefs, and life circumstances that is frequently on display.

I only saw Angela as well and she was "holding" Lenny in her belly ;) - she was very pregnant.

Thanks for seeing that! I need stronger glasses:(

1 hour ago, Chris Knight said:

I read that Christine's grandfather did in fact go to jell for polygamy. But FOR ONE NIGHT. She makes it sound as if he was sent up the river and was never seen again.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Kody' s including welfare fraud in his list of plyg sins. We all know the other wives used to *visit* Christine's pantry for SNAP items.

Why can Janelle never sit like a lady ? She sits like Kody, legs spread wide apart. Her belly is not that big that she cannot arrange herself in a ladylike fashion.

Robyn, oh Robyn, you are such a strong, brave, hero, martyr. Sniffle, sniffle.

Mariah is starting to do the annoying Meri shrug.

So he spent one lousy night in jell?  These people.  Persecution complexes.

Great post!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, toodles said:

Christine's mother left polygamy and I think (but I could be wrong about this) Robyn's mother left as well. 

As did her aunt, as I recall.  Isn't she the one that Christine was hiding from in a bathroom (locked in a stall, for God's sake) as though the aunt was some sort of horrible threat to her very existence?  Maybe that was before they adjusted her anti-psychotic meds.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

She voiceovers that she doesn't want to go back to the secrecy and fear. 

So the cloaking device that keeps their TeeVee series unviewable by the evil gov'mint isn't working anymore?

Meri thinks they will be made an example of because they're felons.

Apparently their home school lacked a dictionary.

Meri says that it's a problem that the legislature didn't even consider polygamists to be human enough to hear their case.

Dramatic much?  They are not slaves who've been sold at auction.  Get a grip.

As always, a sterling recap, LilWharveyGal!  I can be there and never have to actually see or hear these morons.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, VedaPierce said:

Well, we'll never know the reason, will we? All I can comment on is what I saw. A pathetic turnout for a seriously questionable cause. Looks like the passion the Brown Clowns had, failed to ignite their fellow plygs. 

I didn't see the turnout as pathetic, in fact I was surprised at how many people were there when they showed the crowd from a distance a couple of times. Most reports put it at around 200, though some said 300 which is a stretch.

• Love 3

I want to hear about the tyranny under which Kody has suffered. I suppose he has had to hide his family, so...not wait, HE HAS A TV SHOW ABOUT POLYGAMY. And what were they talking about, "admitting" that they were open about their polygamy before the show? Entire early seasons of the show centered around what happened with people found out they were polygamists. Remember Meri weeping about her lost job? I swear, none of these people can keep their stories straight. Paedon came off as the most rational human in this entire clusterfuck. Christine accusing the Utah legislature of hurting him was infuriating; no, Christine, the Utah legislature didn't announce to your son that he was leaving his home IN THREE DAYS. The Utah legislature didn't force him to leave behind a bunch of his cherished possessions and steal away in the middle of the freaking night. YOU did that. In no way did you conduct the move as best you could. NO WAY. 

• Love 16
On 2/26/2018 at 2:33 PM, ginger90 said:

YOU did not go, Robyn. You also only allowed one of your children to go, and he is either 18 or close to it (he's around Paedon's age).

I believe she said on the show that she was disappointed that none of her extended family planned to go.

She found a convenient excuse not to go - but she has a live-in nanny, her niece, and if she really, REALLY cared so much about the rally, she could've taken her kids to Utah but left them at the hotel with her niece Mindy during the rally (I'm assuming they all stayed overnight somewhere...everyone was packing a bag).

Hell, she didn't even have to watch Janelle's kids - Janelle made other arrangements (very telling) and Christine had her kids with her. 

So don't get on your high horse about people not going to the rally, and being so disappointed that it "broke your heart", when you didn't care enough to go yourself. "Hypocrite" is not a good color on you, Robyn.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

It was said several times in this episode that plygs have felt like they are "less than", almost inhuman. That has to feel very crappy.

I m sure it does feel crappy but that is their perception.  Loudly announcing their polygamist situation to every Tom, Dick, and Henry on the street doesn't seem to elicit reactions other than those being accosted are totally disinterested.  I would think that anyone roundly chastising them would be ratings gold but, quelle surprise, we've never seen it. 

"Less than human" - dramatic much?

• Love 6

Hello folks!

This is not a place for vehement arguments or judging other posters. Discussion is good, arguing and accusing each other of things and putting thoughts into other people's mouths is not ok. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion on the Browns and polygamy in general. We welcome posters here regardless of viewpoint, as long as they remain civil. It's fine to think the Browns are good, bad, stupid, noble, etc. Everyone should feel welcome here whether they hold a majority or minority opinion. 

Discuss the show, not the other posters. And let's keep it to the episode, please! This is not a comparative religion forum, nor is this topic meant to generally discuss polygamy. 

• Love 6

I assume Tony and Mykelti stayed way away from this because they are still holding out hope that she will one day be acceptable to the powers that be in the LDS church, and while they may be flouting the suggestion that she disown her family entirely (at least as far as the show is concerned), they're not going to touch the third rail of actively campaigning to legalize polygamy on television.  

Edited by kassa
cross post with moderator
  • Love 11

Thank you @sharkerbaby! :) :)

@VedaPierce, I stand by my statements, but I do apologize if I offended you with my references to other minority groups. That was not my intent; I was trying to draw a parallel between society's opinions about polygamy and their opinions about homosexuality and interracial couples. I heartily agree with Janelle when she states that the government has no business telling people who they can live with or how they identify themselves when all parties are adults.

• Love 4

I can't find a post I wanted to comment on - I hope it wasn't deleted.  It talked about no health care, welfare, etc. and the cost passing onto others.   I THINK because the husband actually cannot financially FULLY support that many wives and kids.  I wanted to say that I agree that this is wrong.  Maybe the mods removed the post?

10 minutes ago, Aethera said:

Hello folks!

This is not a place for vehement arguments or judging other posters. Discussion is good, arguing and accusing each other of things and putting thoughts into other people's mouths is not ok. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion on the Browns and polygamy in general. We welcome posters here regardless of viewpoint, as long as they remain civil. It's fine to think the Browns are good, bad, stupid, noble, etc. Everyone should feel welcome here whether they hold a majority or minority opinion. 

Discuss the show, not the other posters. And let's keep it to the episode, please! This is not a comparative religion forum, nor is this topic meant to generally discuss polygamy. 

Maybe I missed some posts... but I thought everything was handled very "adult" and it was pretty much resolved?!????  :(

• Love 3

Ok, regarding this episode, I am a little confused (or maybe dense)— why was Kody afraid he’d be arrested in Utah for breaking its polygamy law when he no longer lives or “cohabits” in Utah?

Also, if they did in fact move back to Utah one day, would they all be living together again? If not, my understanding of the statute would be that Kody would have to be cohabiting with and purporting to be married to more than one spouse  in order to be considered a bigamist. It seems that he only really cohabits with Robin and occasionally visits Christine and Jenelle now, anyway? Meri seems to be completely out of the cohabitation equation.

All that said, I do think if Kody were prosecuted he would have a case that the law was unconstitutional. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

I can't find a post I wanted to comment on - I hope it wasn't deleted.  It talked about no health care, welfare, etc. and the cost passing onto others.   I THINK because the husband actually cannot financially FULLY support that many wives and kids.  I wanted to say that I agree that this is wrong.  Maybe the mods removed the post?

I think things got too heated! Apologies to the mods!

26 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Thank you @sharkerbaby! :) :)

@VedaPierce, I stand by my statements, but I do apologize if I offended you with my references to other minority groups. That was not my intent; I was trying to draw a parallel between society's opinions about polygamy and their opinions about homosexuality and interracial couples. I heartily agree with Janelle when she states that the government has no business telling people who they can live with or how they identify themselves when all parties are adults.

Omg, was JUST coming in to say, I've always appreciated your posts. They always have a thread of kindness running through them, and speak of a big heart.

I will say that I've been sympathetic to the Brown Clowns. And posted as such. I felt bad for Meri when Mariah was snubbing her so publicly and relentlessly, I've supported Robyn when she refused to allow her little guy to be taken by Meri to be used as a figurative shield with Mariah. I've been touched by the Brown - kody in particular- immediate acceptance  of Mariah when she came out.  I appreciate them tolerating a horrible marriage decision by Mykelty. Nobody is all bad or all good. When Browns are good, I have no problem posting that -rare as it is ;) I just like to laugh at them a little because they are so stupid a lot of the times. I just didn't like the March. For lots of reasons.  Anyway, I would like to move forward in our mutual snark. ;)

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, kassa said:

I don't think polygamy is something we need to embrace legally (the legal chaos involved once you factor in multiple spouses is staggering - do 14 wives each collect the husband's full social security?  If a wife leaves and sues for alimony are the other wives' paychecks counted towards his gross income? Are they entitled to visitation with the children of their sister wives who consider them mothers even if their biological mothers repudiate her? Do companies have to offer a family plan that covers 75 people? If a guy dies leaving 45 children under 18, do they all get social security?  Who is next of kin with regards to making legal decisions? etc etc.)

Thank you for putting together the thoughts that were bouncing around in my head but that I couldn't quite articulate.

I understand Kody & his wives wanting polygamy to be legal. I really do. They are consenting adults. I wouldn't want the government telling me how I could structure my family.

But you bring up some very good points that I was thinking about, but couldn't quite put into words. Making it legal sounds good in theory, but becomes very complicated when you try to actually put it in practice. 

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Omg, was JUST coming in to say, I've always appreciated your posts. They always have a theead of kindness running through them, and speak of a big heart.

I will say that I've been sympathetic to the Brown Clowns. And posted as such. I felt bad for Meri when Mariah was snubbing her so publicly and relentlessly, I've supported Robyn when she refused to allow her little guy to be taken by Meri to be used as a figurative shield with Mariah. I've been touched by the Brown - kody in particular- immediate acceptance  of Mariah when she came out.  I appreciate them tolerating a horrible marriage decision by Mykelty. Nobody is all bad or all good. When Browns are good, I have no problem posting that -rare as it is ;) I just like to laugh at them a little because they are so stupid a lot of the times. I just didn't like the March. For lots of reasons.  Anyway, I would like to move forward in our mutual snark. ;)

Thank you Veda, and again I apologize. Sometimes I get worked up, lol! I've agreed with many of your posts, as well as others criticizing the Browns. They are not perfect, that's for sure lol.

Moving forward with our mutual snarking sounds like a plan!  ;)

• Love 1
Just now, Gothish520 said:

Thank you Veda, and again I apologize. Sometimes I get worked up, lol! I've agreed with many of your posts, as well as others criticizing the Browns. They are not perfect, that's for sure lol.

Moving forward with our mutual snarking sounds like a plan!  ;)

Me too. I'm sorry too. :)

• Love 1
Just now, Sasha888 said:

Thank you for putting together the thoughts that were bouncing around in my head but that I couldn't quite articulate.

I understand Kody & his wives wanting polygamy to be legal. I really do. They are consenting adults. I wouldn't want the government telling me how I could structure my family.

But you bring up some very good points that I was thinking about, but couldn't quite put into words. Making it legal sounds good in theory, but becomes very complicated when you try to actually put it in practice. 

Right, making polygamy legal would make things very complicated, not to mention the fact that if it were legal, the law would have to be applied equally— to men and women, gay, bi, straight relationships, etc. So, in theory, Kody’s wives could each have multiple husbands as well as wives (if any were bisexual). The practice of polygamy should be decriminalized, but not legal, imo.

• Love 6
21 hours ago, Lynn said:

Kody and Christine sure are having a resurgence of the love.  He complimented her appearance and later hugged her while she was crying, and she called him Love when saying goodbye.

That makes me happy. I've had ups and downs in my marriage (we've been together 12 years) and right now we're in a really good upswing. I think all marriages go through troubles, so polygamists aren't alone in that. Although, the extra wife thing adds a whole new aspect. But I've always thought of Christine as really loving and easy to get along with, so I am happy to see HER happy again. 

• Love 11
12 minutes ago, Adiba said:

So, in theory, Kody’s wives could each have multiple husbands as well as wives (if any were bisexual).

Yi yi yi, it boggles the mind, doesn't it?  Because I could see Ashley on Seeking Sister Wives wanting another husband, but Dimitri's ego would never allow that.  Seriously, I can't see many men's egos being able to handle another husband.  lol

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Right, making polygamy legal would make things very complicated, not to mention the fact that if it were legal, the law would have to be applied equally— to men and women, gay, bi, straight relationships, etc. So, in theory, Kody’s wives could each have multiple husbands as well as wives (if any were bisexual). The practice of polygamy should be decriminalized, but not legal, imo.

I would have to agree with that opinion (decriminalized, but not legal).

Using Kody's family as an example, because hey they're the subjects of this show, if Christine, Janelle, and Meri were allowed to be legally married to Kody, in addition to Robyn, it opens kind of a legal can of worms that is a nightmare.

It would help A LOT if Kody & company were more clear about what they want. I'm unsure what they want RIGHT NOW - much, much earlier in the show's run, Kody said he wasn't looking for the state of Utah to LEGALLY recognize his other marriages - just to allow him to have spiritual marriages with the others.

I don't particularly like polygamy, I wouldn't want to live it myself, but if what he wants now is what he wanted back then...I have no problem with it. I don't care how many spiritual wives Kody has.

If Kody & family want them all to be LEGAL wives, that's another issue...for the reasons you and Kassa stated.

My personal opinion is that Kody is not a good spokesperson for this cause. He didn't articulate his wishes well enough for me to decipher whether he wants all of his wives to be considered legal wives, or if he's okay with just one being a legal wife, but wants the state to leave him alone when it comes to his spiritual unions.

And that's a big difference, to me...because I'm okay with one, and not okay with the other.

• Love 8

Janelle needs a hobby, a job, or a cause to fight for on a regular basis. Something that doesn’t set her up for immediate failure (like a certain weight loss business does) She’s been so animated and engaged when talking about the marches. I think she’s craving intellectual stimulation.

Did they all stay at Meri’s B&B? 

• Love 6
On 2/25/2018 at 9:19 AM, andromeda331 said:

Gee, Janelle, why do you suppose that hasn't happened considering your family is so easy to find in Las Vegas? Don't you think if the Utah AG wanted to he would have had Vegas police arrest you and your spouses and extradite back to Utah? Why do you think the Williams weren't arrested after they went on TV? They lived in Utah and still do. Why aren't they arresting other polygamy men and spouses that are all over Utah?       

Half the time metro won't take our suspects who have warrants. The Browns are really pushing the reality meter on this one. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, kassa said:

I assume Tony and Mykelti stayed way away from this because they are still holding out hope that she will one day be acceptable to the powers that be in the LDS church, and while they may be flouting the suggestion that she disown her family entirely (at least as far as the show is concerned), they're not going to touch the third rail of actively campaigning to legalize polygamy on television.  

Nor should they, if their beliefs do not support polygamy.

• Love 2

I wonder how much they read this site. Notice when during the TH, Robyn started crying again, and she was apologizing for it, Kody said, “Nobody’s MOCKING your tears HERE, ok?”

Edited by Light
  • Love 8
On 2/26/2018 at 7:59 PM, toodles said:

Mariah's Eyebrows will be my new board name if I ever decide to make a change.  You heard it here first.

In fact,  I'm surprised they don't have their own FB page.  My brother takes his office stapler on vacation.  He takes pictures with it wherever he goes and it has its own Fb page. It's pretty funny and a little sad.  That stapler travels more than I do. 

Can I suggest we make an awful hybrid name, something along the lines of “Mariahybrows”??

6 hours ago, Light said:

I wonder how much they read this site. Notice when during the TH, Robyn started crying again, and she was apologizing for it, Kody said, “Nobody’s MOCKING your tears HERE, ok?”

They get crap on their own Twitter pages. Some of it is constructive, some is just mean. They may have stumbled upon this site, but they have read plenty on their own social media, followed by hitting ignore or block !

• Love 3

Reason #157 Kody Brown is a jackass.

I've mentioned before that I live in Vegas.  Like most people that live here, I rarely go to the Strip.  But last night I went to a birthday dinner for my son at a restaurant on the Strip.  As I was driving along I was looking at the skyline.  There are many buildings at least as tall as the buildings in SLC.  The tall buildings are not concentrated in a downtown area like a traditional downtown, but have you been to the MGM?  It's enormous.  Or how about the Luxor pyramid? Not to mention the numerous office buildings in the area.

Since Kody blathered  about no buildings in Vegas being as tall in SLC, I just wanted to point out that he is dead wrong.  That's the end of my rant for now.

• Love 9

I live and work in the Bay Area, I have participated in the SF Pride Parade, and I can assure you firsthand that most LBGT people are neither rich nor white.

Also, I note that one of the families in Seeking Sister Wife have announced a move to Oregon to "avoid arrest". Is that a prerequisite to obtaining a regular TLC reality show gig? It seems the only plyg people who do such a thing are the ones on TV.  

• Love 12