Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E07: Risking Arrest

• Start Topic

They so want to be these persecuted heroes, such brave souls fighting for such an honorable cause. GMAFB! I can't stand the way this garbage is edited through this soft, romantic light, with this inspirational music crescendoing throughout, trying for heartstring-pulling. I can't stand these phoney, uneducated blubbering fools. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 11

Did anyone else notice that Drew and his newest wife, Angela, were at the gathering that met before the march? I looked closely to see if the other 2 were there, but only noticed the 2 of them. Wonder where her baby Lenny was, as they did not show her holding her baby. My brother-in-law has been living with a woman who escaped from the Bountiful, B.C group, she has 8 children that came with her. She seems nice enough, but is very, very quiet when she is around the family. I am always just dying to ask her a million questions, and wonder if she watches Sister Wives, but would never have the balls to bring it up to her!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kicotan said:

It wasn't an unusual practice in his time.  Consider the year it was.  Brigham Young died in 1877.  The State of Pennsylvania and the Catholic Church sanctioned the marriage of my husband's maternal grandparents in 1923 and the bride had just turned 13 the month before the wedding.  They were immigrants from Sicily and no one batted an eye.

I know it sounds appalling going by today's standards, but to compare it to today's social construct is incongruent and possibly disingenuous.

But how old was the groom, maybe 18 or 19? Still not acceptable by today’s standards but considerably different than him being in his 40’s or 50’s.

Edited by Cara
  • Love 8

Mariah's eyebrows in the couch segments are really taking on a life of their own. They scared me when I saw them. 

The Browns have never given a damn about polygamous abuses. Never. Kody's initial response about the people chanting about abuse was to want them to sit down and shut up. Who the hell does he think he is? Only Kody's wants, needs and desires matter. 

• Love 11
On 2/25/2018 at 6:49 AM, AZChristian said:

Well, if you're REAL lucky, you'll get 25 likes and your post will turn pink.  :-)

I just have to tell you that I loved the fact that I got to be YOUR 25th like...happy pink post to you!

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Joe Darger orchestrated this whole rally. Joe Darger really wants his ass back on tv. 

Did he have a show?  I do remember when he and his "wives" were on Sister Wives awhile back.  I remember the Dargers wrote a book too.

• Love 1
On 2/25/2018 at 7:36 AM, giaNtsandYankees said:

You beat me to it! I was about to respond that we should play the drinking name for the amount of time we hear "felon" "arrested" or "persecuted." Haha!

Here's what I think the show will be like:

• The adult Browns preparing for their trip to Utah for the rally.
  • The TH talking about how they're getting ready to go to Utah for a cause that is very important to them. And then they'll talk about how they're in "exile" (shall we add that word to the drinking game?) in Las Vegas because they were in fear of being arrested for going public.
  • Flashback to season two when they were on Good Morning America. Then another of people zoning in on their Lehi house. And another of Kody telling his kids that they have to leave Utah, with the kids crying about leaving home. Their over-dramatic reaction to the sirens (which I'm certain for another incident) while loading the moving truck/ And then that moment of calm when they crossed the border to Nevada.
  • The Brown adults trying to get their children on board - and one of the sons telling Kody where he can shove the rally (which I'm looking forward to!).
  • The Browns driving into Utah, and then talking about how nervous they are about being in Utah again, fearing that they'll be arrested (while dramatic background music plays).
  • The Browns meeting up with the Dargers.
  • A TH from Mr. Joe Darger and his wives talking about how they met, married, their family, and how and why they organized the rally. 
  • The march with the chant "Families not Felons!"
  • Standbys (probably extras hired by TLC) giving the marchers "strange looks" being they are polygamists. Kody talking about how he feels persecuted because of it.
  • Speeches being made at the rally.
  • Apsyn's finance might make a quick appearance, because I believe it was at that rally where they had reconnected (per the People Mag article).

So what prize do I get if this happens to be correct?! ?☺

On 2/25/2018 at 7:49 AM, AZChristian said:

Well, if you're REAL lucky, you'll get 25 likes and your post will turn pink.  :-)

19 minutes ago, Schmoopy said:

I just have to tell you that I loved the fact that I got to be YOUR 25th like...happy pink post to you!

I sometimes think a little silliness is what the world needs more of. Thanks, @Schmoopy

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, VedaPierce said:

Mariah's eyebrows in the couch segments are really taking on a life of their own. They scared me when I saw them.

Mariah's Eyebrows will be my new board name if I ever decide to make a change.  You heard it here first.

In fact,  I'm surprised they don't have their own FB page.  My brother takes his office stapler on vacation.  He takes pictures with it wherever he goes and it has its own Fb page. It's pretty funny and a little sad.  That stapler travels more than I do. 

• Love 16

Meri is the last person to be judging Paedon for deciding not to go march, with her ugly twisted up mouth, raised eyebrows, and little shrug as she looks away from the camera. Meri is the last person to judge anyone about anything. She's got some nerve.

• Love 14

Since the Browns made it a huge issue regarding Paedon not going, I would have liked to know where Mykelti and Tony where and if they chose not to attend, why? 

I'm glad Caleb went cause in my eyes, your living there rent free being supported by the Browns. Like is he going to say I'm not going you don't have my support but me and my pregnant wife will continue to mooch off your money train. 

Let's talk about Robyn not going. She should not say one word about other polygamous families who have children not going. I respect her decision not to go because she has children, but then don't you dare pass judgement on others who don't go for the same reasons. Plus why is she keeping Aurora and Brien ne at home? Children younger then them went and Kody was there at the March hoisting Truly on his shoulders.

Kody had no problem with Truly being there, so I don't understand why Robin's daughters were exempt with no fuss like we had over Paedon choosing not to go.

Speaking of Paedon, I find it ironic that his parents accept no responsibility for him not handling the move well. They chose not to tell the children about the move until the day before, spring it on them, giving them no time to absorb the news and process it. Choosing to yank the children out not allowing them to have any closure with friends or anything is solely on the parents.

Then to move in chaos forcing the children to leave toys and things behind, the parents created a rushed, disorganized, traumatic move. Parents are suppose to make things as stress free for their children. They are not suppose to burden the children with adult problems. The Browns handled the move to Vegas very poorly and created the stress for the children. Own it Christine!

• Love 16
23 hours ago, Annymin said:

Only an hour in this episode and (segue....Janelle’s bathroom is a mess!) holy cow!  Drama queens!   The police won’t be there specifically  to round them up and arrest them.  

Shut up Robyn. “Talk to the wives, how much they love their husbands, how strong they are.”  Argh! 

Over reacting much?  

There is not enough wine to get through the last 45 minutes of this mess.  

Kody and his harem and TLC wanted desperately for the police to show up. They were practically begging for it. Such losers, did ANYBODY think that was remotely possible?? 

and when has Robyn ever shown any strength? She can barely string a sentence together without breaking down in tears. She has zero control of herself.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, VedaPierce said:

Re: Janelle 

Janelle is slovenly. I remember an episode when they went shopping for a new mattress. She was testing them out at the store, and the soles of her feet were black with dirt. It was so gross. Also, part of the Meri/ Janelle battle stemmed from the early years of living in one home together.  Meri is a neat freak (and wet bar lover) She gave Janelle a hard time for being a lazy slob.

Edited by Ravenna
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

I think what this March was missing was a song by Christine. 

OMG, I'm lying in bed while reading this, and laughing out loud ?

At least, we didn't have to listen to Tony's words of wisdom in this episode.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, answerphone said:

OMG, I'm lying in bed while reading this, and laughing out loud ?

At least, we didn't have to listen to Tony's words of wisdom in this episode.

I can see it now.  FT talking -   See, this March is a white people thing.  If you want a lot of folks to show up you should serve street tacos. People will come for tacos.  Or maybe you should have pinates.  That would be great to see.  People smashing pinates for the rights of polygamists would be great.  

• Love 14
On 2/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, giaNtsandYankees said:

Here's what I think the show will be like:

• The adult Browns preparing for their trip to Utah for the rally.
  • The TH talking about how they're getting ready to go to Utah for a cause that is very important to them. And then they'll talk about how they're in "exile" (shall we add that word to the drinking game?) in Las Vegas because they were in fear of being arrested for going public.
  • Flashback to season two when they were on Good Morning America. Then another of people zoning in on their Lehi house. And another of Kody telling his kids that they have to leave Utah, with the kids crying about leaving home. Their over-dramatic reaction to the sirens (which I'm certain for another incident) while loading the moving truck/ And then that moment of calm when they crossed the border to Nevada.
  • The Brown adults trying to get their children on board - and one of the sons telling Kody where he can shove the rally (which I'm looking forward to!).
  • The Browns driving into Utah, and then talking about how nervous they are about being in Utah again, fearing that they'll be arrested (while dramatic background music plays).
  • The Browns meeting up with the Dargers.
  • A TH from Mr. Joe Darger and his wives talking about how they met, married, their family, and how and why they organized the rally. 
  • The march with the chant "Families not Felons!"
  • Standbys (probably extras hired by TLC) giving the marchers "strange looks" being they are polygamists. Kody talking about how he feels persecuted because of it.
  • Speeches being made at the rally.
  • Apsyn's finance might make a quick appearance, because I believe it was at that rally where they had reconnected (per the People Mag article).

Nailed it! Did you cheat, or are they just that predictable? 

I thought I read where this is the last season.  And yet,  TLC continues to launch new polig shows.  

Wasn’t it Mariah who wondered aloud why Meri had funky eyebrows? Pot, meet kettle.

Regular Frida Kahlo

Edited by salvame
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Joe Darger orchestrated this whole rally. Joe Darger really wants his ass back on tv. 

From what I understand, he has refused offers to have his own tv show. He is serious about fighting for the rights of polygamists.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Onceafan said:

Since the Browns made it a huge issue regarding Paedon not going, I would have liked to know where Mykelti and Tony where and if they chose not to attend, why? 

I'm glad Caleb went cause in my eyes, your living there rent free being supported by the Browns. Like is he going to say I'm not going you don't have my support but me and my pregnant wife will continue to mooch off your money train. 

Let's talk about Robyn not going. She should not say one word about other polygamous families who have children not going. I respect her decision not to go because she has children, but then don't you dare pass judgement on others who don't go for the same reasons. Plus why is she keeping Aurora and Brien ne at home? Children younger then them went and Kody was there at the March hoisting Truly on his shoulders.

Kody had no problem with Truly being there, so I don't understand why Robin's daughters were exempt with no fuss like we had over Paedon choosing not to go.

Speaking of Paedon, I find it ironic that his parents accept no responsibility for him not handling the move well. They chose not to tell the children about the move until the day before, spring it on them, giving them no time to absorb the news and process it. Choosing to yank the children out not allowing them to have any closure with friends or anything is solely on the parents.

Then to move in chaos forcing the children to leave toys and things behind, the parents created a rushed, disorganized, traumatic move. Parents are suppose to make things as stress free for their children. They are not suppose to burden the children with adult problems. The Browns handled the move to Vegas very poorly and created the stress for the children. Own it Christine!

I was surprised how rough Logan was when they showed the clip of them loading the truck. 

I agree that the move to Vegas was handled poorly on screen, and I can only hope that most of that was exaggerated for the cameras. Children often have trouble adjusting to a move even if given plenty of notice.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I was surprised how rough Logan was when they showed the clip of them loading the truck. 

I agree that the move to Vegas was handled poorly on screen, and I can only hope that most of that was exaggerated for the cameras. Children often have trouble adjusting to a move even if given plenty of notice.

I was thinking the same thing. Poor Paedob was already not taking the news well, then Logan was jumping all over him for wanting to take his toys along. 

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Not able to watch, and just wondering if there were sirens in the background at any point during the “March”?

I didn't notice any.  It was rather odd that no police were shown even in the background.  In my city, there are a lot of marches, demonstrations, gatherings, down around the state capital and normally the city and capital police show up just to make sure things go smoothly.  Of course, they could have been in plain clothes. That would not surprise me. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I didn't notice any.  It was rather odd that no police were shown even in the background.  In my city, there are a lot of marches, demonstrations, gatherings, down around the state capital and normally the city and capital police show up just to make sure things go smoothly. 

For 100 people, paying for police to be there would be a waste of money. It's not like there would be fights breaking out unless it was the men all zeroing in on some juicy young female and all wanting to take her on to add to their Sheep Wives collection.

36 minutes ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I hope Christine knows and explained to Truely that Rosa Parks took a stand by sitting down. 

I seriously doubt Christine has any concept of the Civil Rights movement.  She's married to an idiot who things his "oppression" is equal to that of the slaves and that abused women and the LGBT community have all of the rights they need to live well and free.

• Love 17
8 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

Meri is the last person to be judging Paedon for deciding not to go march, with her ugly twisted up mouth, raised eyebrows, and little shrug as she looks away from the camera. Meri is the last person to judge anyone about anything. She's got some nerve.

This made me furious.  Meri, who makes sure that she is as distant and detached from her family as possible, dares to judge Paedon about not going on the march.  Do these morons not realize that this is going to be aired on tv and all of the kids will have a chance to see it?  I hope Paedon has no time for Meri anymore.  Christine should be upset as well.

5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

That shocked me as well.  I saw the episode when it originally aired, but at the time the kids were all just a jumble of Brownies and I don't think I knew who belonged to which mom at that point.  It was heartbreaking, watching Logan yell at his little brother who just wanted to bring his toys with him to Vegas.  No different from an adult wanting to bring all of their prized photos, books, etc.  I think Paedon was probably one of the kids that Kody had little time for, since he belonged to Christine and other than Paedon, she had a house full of girls.  I love that he's all grown up now and stated his case for not going very clearly and truthfully.  Good for him.  And shame on Kody for badgering Paedon and then turning around and swooning over Caleb's decision to go.  Gross.

• Love 12
14 hours ago, AmandaUnbidden said:

Just my views on the issue. I will say this episode was kind of boring for me, maybe because we've been though all this so it didn't need to be rehashed yet again. They could have touched on the March and what they were doing along with another storyline. I don't think a whole two hours needed to be dedicated to this.

::::::Standing applesauce::::::    I agree 100%.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

I think what this March was missing was a song by Christine. 

"Oh when the saints go marching in
When the saints go marching in
Oh lord I want to be in that number
When the saints go marching in"  <~~~~~   Sung loudly and off-key

• Love 5

Sometimes I have to do a double take to make sure I'm not tuned into reruns of HBO's Big Love.  Same exact plot lines.  So this is life imitating art?  Kody's first concern is to "make it so polygamists can run for office".  So he's tipping his hand there.  Just like good ol' Bill Henrickson--running for office with all the wives in tow.  Right down to the shots of the family gathered on the steps of the State  House.   The only thing that's missing is the visits to Juniper Creek and the "bad polygamists".

• Love 10
2 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I hope Christine knows and explained to Truely that Rosa Parks took a stand by sitting down. 

It doesn't sound like it from her tweet though! 

Edited by Ravenna
  • Love 4

Christine's mother left polygamy and I think (but I could be wrong about this) Robyn's mother left as well.  Christine and her mother did not speak for years.  If they really wanted to show a balanced picture of polygamy life, Christine's mother would have an interesting point of view.  I would have liked to hear what she thought about this march.

The fact that Kody did not want a dissenting people at the march and his own mother in-law is a strong dissenter says a lot.  The fact that Meri hasn't been happy with this life style for a long time says a lot.  Meri sending damage control tweets says a lot.  What does it say?  IMHO, any emotion that you feel, just shut it down and keep sweet.  This is a man's world and women are there to spit out as many babies as you can whether you can provide for them or not.

I've always wondered about the Wives sister wives "mothers".  They are rarely mentioned.  Do they have relationship with them?  And it's possible the " mothers" don't want any part of the Brown shit show.  But I think it would interesting to hear how that works.  

If a women chooses to leave, they leave everything behind.  They leave with nothing, including their children.  I watched Escaping Polygamy and while it's a reality show, it really showed the dark side of polygamy.  While that focused on sects of polygamy, I think the POV of polygamy is the same. Women are chattel and are treated as such.  There are no brother husbands.

Sorry for the long post.  I'm done now.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

This made me furious.  Meri, who makes sure that she is as distant and detached from her family as possible, dares to judge Paedon about not going on the march.  Do these morons not realize that this is going to be aired on tv and all of the kids will have a chance to see it?  I hope Paedon has no time for Meri anymore.  Christine should be upset as well.

That shocked me as well.  I saw the episode when it originally aired, but at the time the kids were all just a jumble of Brownies and I don't think I knew who belonged to which mom at that point.  It was heartbreaking, watching Logan yell at his little brother who just wanted to bring his toys with him to Vegas.  No different from an adult wanting to bring all of their prized photos, books, etc.  I think Paedon was probably one of the kids that Kody had little time for, since he belonged to Christine and other than Paedon, she had a house full of girls.  I love that he's all grown up now and stated his case for not going very clearly and truthfully.  Good for him.  And shame on Kody for badgering Paedon and then turning around and swooning over Caleb's decision to go.  Gross.

At least Paedon didn't have an affair with a banana.

Meri is loathsome.  She should be ashamed, but she has no shame.  Ugh.

• Love 7

Still haven't seen the show but I won't hold it against Logan as a teen giving Paedon a hard time during the stupid move. I'm guessing he was badgered by Kody to get the kids to cooperate and he was also under the belief that the cops were coming to take Kody away in handcuffs at any moment.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Did he have a show?  I do remember when he and his "wives" were on Sister Wives awhile back.  I remember the Dargers wrote a book too.

The Dargers had one episode (a special). Back at the same time they went on that vacation with the Browns. 

Joe Darger tweeted at some point afterwards that his family decided they didn't want to be a reality TV family because of privacy issues. 

They've been interviewed on news shows like 20/20, if memory serves even before the SW show aired.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Cara said:

But how old was the groom, maybe 18 or 19? Still not acceptable by today’s standards but considerably different than him being in his 40’s or 50’s.

The groom was actually twice her age, 26.  She gave birth to their first child the following year at age 14, much to everyone's delight.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

The Dargers had one episode (a special). Back at the same time they went on that vacation with the Browns. 

Joe Darger tweeted at some point afterwards that his family decided they didn't want to be a reality TV family because of privacy issues. 

They've been interviewed on news shows like 20/20, if memory serves even before the SW show aired.

My favorite part of the Brown/Darger episode:  

Kody tells Darger that he considers it a form of abuse when multiple wives have to share a kitchen.  Darger refrains from laughing out loud as his three wives happily work together in the vacation rental kitchen.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, toodles said:

Christine's mother left polygamy and I think (but I could be wrong about this) Robyn's mother left as well.  Christine and her mother did not speak for years.  If they really wanted to show a balanced picture of polygamy life, Christine's mother would have an interesting point of view.  I would have liked to hear what she thought about this march.

I've always wondered about the Wives sister wives "mothers".  They are rarely mentioned.  Do they have relationship with them?  And it's possible the " mothers" don't want any part of the Brown shit show.  But I think it would interesting to hear how that works.  

Meri or Janelle’s mother did show up. I have a hard time telling them apart. They both look like they are in severe need of a shampoo bottle.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

I also found it absolutely ridiculous that this huge family has waited this long to have a durable power of attorney. It shows how stupid they are. They should have had that in place the moment they became plural and started shooting out a million kids. If they were really Truly worried about going to jail any time they went to Utah (since they travel there ALL THE TIME) they should have had one in place.

I could be wrong but for some reason, I thought they did have guardianships determined, drawn up, and in place.  I could swear they had talked about this issue during the whole adoption of Robyn's kids saga.  I figured maybe Christine had named say Janelle but since Janelle was also going needed to enact a "back-up plan" and name Robyn temporarily.

20 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

And they have the right to fight to reduce or eliminate the stigma. The ones who are bold enough to do so, even if it is only for their 15 minutes of fame. With all due respect, I think it's quite short-sighted to say "that doesn't happen to all plyg families" or "that doesn't happen in my town." It has happened and does happen, even in this very forum. 

Absolutely agree with this and just wanted to highlight it.  

13 hours ago, kicotan said:

It wasn't an unusual practice in his time.  Consider the year it was.  Brigham Young died in 1877.  The State of Pennsylvania and the Catholic Church sanctioned the marriage of my husband's maternal grandparents in 1923 and the bride had just turned 13 the month before the wedding.  They were immigrants from Sicily and no one batted an eye.

I know it sounds appalling going by today's standards, but to compare it to today's social construct is incongruent and possibly disingenuous.

Judging the past using today's lens is such a common and unfair practice and it happens ALL the time.  I personally am saddened but not particularly surprised by it considering how judgemental and intolerant of other's perspectives, beliefs, and life circumstances that is frequently on display.

12 hours ago, mittsigirl said:

Did anyone else notice that Drew and his newest wife, Angela, were at the gathering that met before the march? I looked closely to see if the other 2 were there, but only noticed the 2 of them. Wonder where her baby Lenny was, as they did not show her holding her baby.

I only saw Angela as well and she was "holding" Lenny in her belly ;) - she was very pregnant.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kicotan said:

The groom was actually twice her age, 26.  She gave birth to their first child the following year at age 14, much to everyone's delight.

He was still a young man. I think we are all aware that people used to get married at a much younger age than is common now. Both of my grandmothers got married as teenagers. You are missing the point of the discussion and are trying to compare apples and oranges.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Cara said:

Meri or Janelle’s mother did show up. I have a hard time telling them apart. They both look like they are in severe need of a shampoo bottle.

Haven't they both been on the show?  Janelle's mom was shown with Kody's father when Kody and clan visited.  I think Meri's mom was shown on a visit to Parawan.  I know for sure I've seen photos of her.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Haven't they both been on the show?  Janelle's mom was shown with Kody's father when Kody and clan visited.  I think Meri's mom was shown on a visit to Parawan.  I know for sure I've seen photos of her.

Yes, they both have been on the show. To me they look very similar.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cara said:

Meri or Janelle’s mother did show up. I have a hard time telling them apart. 

Meri and Christine's mothers were both at the march. It's been a long time since they showed Janelle's mother.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

My favorite part of the Brown/Darger episode:  

Kody tells Darger that he considers it a form of abuse when multiple wives have to share a kitchen.  Darger refrains from laughing out loud as his three wives happily work together in the vacation rental kitchen.

Hahaha, yeah, that was pretty good. And of course this all boils down to Meri. We all know First Wife Meri was absolutely insufferable to Janelle. Has Christine ever gone into any detail about how she and Meri got along when she first joined the family? I don't remember.

14 hours ago, Cara said:

my GGF and GGM were 26 and 16 respectively, Slovak Catholic immigrants, married about 1910.  Not creepy in the least, however, if he had been 46!  EWWW...

• Love 4