Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Love Languages

• Start Topic

I think that the fight between Molly and Jon didn’t happen on the same night as the dinner and the red wig. Her hair was darker blonde in the bed, but not at the dinner. We’ve seen future clips of her with that darker color. They must have inserted that scene in from later on.

• Love 5

Molly stated that she wants to see this through to the end, even though it’s quite clear that she doesn’t have romantic feelings for Jon.  So, I can’t help but wonder if this is because she wants to collect the $100,000.  I am also wondering if the money has anything to do with Jephte’s miraculous change of heart. 

• Love 14

Wow.... I think Molly was pretty cold. She talked about the possibility of her attraction growing for Jon with the same tone as if she was sitting in an office adjusting someone's commercial insurance rate. There were a million other ways to put it out there, even while still being demure about it, and Jon stated clearly that she was in the driver's seat so it wasn't like she had been fending off his advances. 

The other couples (even Jepthe and Shawniece) are seeming to have a much better hang of sexual. However, I will say this: it was pretty low for Jon to bring Molly's sexual history, particularly something that she would be embarassed about, in front of cameras on national TV. Even if she had stated that before herself, 

TThis show has definitely gotten a little more rated R than previous seasons. 

• Love 11

They do not get $100k for doing this show. They get a weekly stipend but it's nowhere near six figures in total. I agree that Jonathan shouldn't have brought up the threesome thing. Things don't look good for them. 

I have never cringed harder watching this show than during Shawniece's pole dance and Ryan's construction worker role play. It felt like we were intruding in their intimate moments. Shawniece and Jephte's rollerskating date was cute. 

I'm amazed that Ryan isn't willing to cut back on some of his work hours/gaming/paintballing to spend more time with Jaclyn. He should be happy that she's so into him. Jonathan would switch places with him in a heartbeat. 

• Love 23
11 minutes ago, Gobears said:

They do not get $100k for doing this show. They get a weekly stipend but it's nowhere near six figures in total.

Whatever the amount, Molly isn't giving it up even though it's obvious that she isn't into Jon.

• Love 3

I'm thinking it's more likely that they have to pay a penalty if they don't finish the experiment. Ever since Heather bailed on Derek in season 4, I think the show put in a new clause in their contracts...

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Who said they get 100k for this show?

I think this was published in an unsubstantiated, not very reputable article on the internet. But many participants (and even one of their mothers) have denied getting that paid that much as well as the show producers. 

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/11/married-at-first-sight-stipend-pay/

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 4
9 minutes ago, Gobears said:

I think this was published in an unsubstantiated, not very reputable article on the internet. But many participants (and even one of their mothers) have denied getting that paid that much as well as the show producers. 

https://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/2016/11/married-at-first-sight-stipend-pay/

I thought that seemed awfully high.  I remember reading on Reality Steve’s website that the leads on The Bachelor/ette typically get $100,000 per season, and that’s a top-rated show on a major network. 

If they did get that much, though, I could probably pretend to be fake-married to some stranger for a few weeks.  I enjoy coming here to get other people’s take on the show because most of my friends haven’t even heard of it and I don’t know a single person who actually watches it.  I’m old, though.  

Tonight’s episode was strange.  Watching them acting out fantasies was really cringeworthy.  The stripper pole in the kitchen especially. 

• Love 13
56 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

I am old and hard of hearing....I have a hard time understanding what Jephte was saying. Those low tones just blur for me. 

It seems like Jephte has two voices. When he talks to Shauniece he sounds kind of dull & monotone. When he talks to other people or in interviews, he sounds normal.

Edited by Deni
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

I am old and hard of hearing....I have a hard time understanding what Jephte was saying. Those low tones just blur for me. 

Well, I have excellent hearing, and I never can understand what the heck he's saying.  

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Adeejay said:

Molly stated that she wants to see this through to the end, even though it’s quite clear that she doesn’t have romantic feelings for Jon.  So, I can’t help but wonder if this is because she wants to collect the $100,000.  I am also wondering if the money has anything to do with Jephte’s miraculous change of heart. 

I've seen someone say that number before but has it been confirmed? I really don't that's true. Just based on tweets from past hgs and these shows never off a prize at the end other then the ring/wedding etc...

When has production so blatantly got involved with the show. First the mandatory group dates/sessions. Now the obvious fantasy spiel. It was so awkward.  I cringed so bad at  Jac and Ryan and Jon and Molly. But Jac and Ryan was just too much and so not sexy at all, just so bad. Shawniece and Jep were adorable. All through out it was so cute from the silly firewoman outfit with the pole dancing (what happened to being a teacher Jep? lol) to the sweet date at the rink. Really cute.

Saying that I have to say I am a bit peeved about Shawniece and Jephete. They are turning out to be EXACTLY how I  said they would be during the matchmaking episode. I was really high on them and then we got weeks of fickery. I would be throwing major shade at tptb if I have been Jephete. Not saying he didn't hurt Shawniece but he obviously wasn't AS cold as it looked. Or at the least they should have showed the turn around. On Unfiltered there was a bonus scene where he told her he talked to a friend who knocked some sense into him.  The mislead to the turn around has just been such a 180 is just jarring. I know there will be bumps in the road but jeez they really played him in the beginning.

The swerve is Molly and Jon who seem like a mess. I'm totally team Jon on this. She has issues that need to be dealt with and the experts suck. I really feel bad for Jon. He's doing everything he can and even his outburst I was here for it. She can have a threesome with a random dude but her husband she can't cuddle with and do relationship-y things.  I just don't get how they grow in 3 weeks past this. I really thought from unfiltered I was getting vibes they stay together but I just don't see how they get over this. Jon can do better. But then I thought J&S were doomed so who knows...

Jac and Ryan make me squeamish. Like Ryan is just too much . Its so awkward , I just don't feel any genuineness on his part or maybe he's just awkward on TV. I was charmed at first but it quickly went to douche bro,,,try hard. Like I can't with him and I just don't get why Jac likes him.  I admire his work effort (honestly though you would think he made more more living in Boston with all those jobs) but he just not all the way there and again I feel Jac deserves better. Its just so blah and not in a good way. Anthony and Ashley were blah to me but a lot things I didn't like about her felt produced. Ryan has not softness about him...I don't know I just don't get why Jac likes him.

• Love 13

Molly brought up a 3 some as a major selling point for why she should be chosen to be on the show, then told Jon about it.  That makes it fair game to wonder why a girl who can be sexual with an actual stranger can't be sexual with her husband.  My guess is that Molly only gets sexual when she's partying. 

There's no chance for a successful marriage but, if Jon wants to have sex with her, forget the nice dinners and buy her some shots.

The $100k number came from the first season when someone added up the total compensation for being on the show.  It was the stipend, rent, wedding, honeymoon, restaurant bills, etc. - it's not like they get a check at the end for the full amount.  I've heard the stipend for continuing the show is around $2000 a week.  It's got to be enough to keep people like Heather and Derek on the show after they broke up in the 2nd week.  

• Love 14

I have zero desire to see any of these couple get busy. Blech.

Molly has the personality of a dead fish and she looked like Peg Bundy with that wig on. But, she isn't touching Katey Segal on her best day. I can't bring myself to relate Molly of old as she explains herself with this vacant bland person. I honestly think that's part of Jon's issue even though he shouldn't slut shame. How is this person I'm hearing about from years ago now this boring emotionless person with me? Am I that bad? 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

Molly brought up a 3 some as a major selling point for why she should be chosen to be on the show, then told Jon about it.  That makes it fair game to wonder why a girl who can be sexual with an actual stranger can't be sexual with her husband.  My guess is that Molly only gets sexual when she's partying. 

She said it happened in college. People get a lot of their crazy partying/sleeping around done in college and become more conservative as they age.

Edited by Gobears
  • Love 5
Just now, Gobears said:

She said it happened in college. People get a lot of their crazy partying/sleeping around done in college and become more conservative as they age.

That's true, but they usually don't talk about it to their new relationships.  You don't talk about your fun past without your husband wondering why you aren't as much fun now.

• Love 15

One of the things that fall into "life is unfair" category is that the person who cares less in a relationship tends to have all the power.  This is one of the reasons that the person not "into" the match on the show often looks like such an ass and the editing does not help.

It really struck me when John laid down that he might not continue, Molly was the one who was absolutely fine with ending it right then and Jon backpedaled.  Of course, maybe from info on this board, Jon really needs that 2k a week and a couple months of free rent in expensive Boston, since he recently had to quit his job.

I do not think Molly is into him and I think he knows that as well.

The sad thing is that Jon is probably the most likable guys they ever had on this show (not a high bar).  He definitely will have tons of women to choose from once this fake marriage is over.

• Love 23
1 minute ago, qtpye said:

The sad thing is that Jon is probably the most likable guys they ever had on this show (not a high bar).  He definitely will have tons of women to choose from once this fake marriage is over.

He might if he doesn't sabotage this image by chasing after a cold woman like Molly.  Were I Jon, I'd start working my post-show image.  Bring the film crew to the gym and show me working out, show me out with my friends - just walk around town being seen with a film crew! - I'd have a few dozen women ready to date the second I took the ring off.  But then, I'm in it for the wrong reasons...

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, Jack Sampson said:

He might if he doesn't sabotage this image by chasing after a cold woman like Molly.  Were I Jon, I'd start working my post-show image.  Bring the film crew to the gym and show me working out, show me out with my friends - just walk around town being seen with a film crew! - I'd have a few dozen women ready to date the second I took the ring off.  But then, I'm in it for the wrong reasons...

That is actually a good strategy, because it is obvious Molly is not into to him, so he might as well ride out the contract and build up his image.  He is a natural fit for PR and he should try to make the most of this situation.  I know this is a little cold, but I do not know what you can do as a person when someone is just not into you.  I thinks Jeph was edited rather coldly, so when we all found out he was really attracted to Shawniece and that is why he did not want to sleep next to her (did not want to have that temptation) is was quite a shock.

Of course I still do not 100 percent believe in his turn around, but I do wish all the couples this season the best and hope what we are seeing is sincere.

• Love 9

Sooooo I'm watching again for the first time since the wedding episodes and...no commentary from the matchmakers!!! Who's gonna tell us how difficult X situation is for any couple but especially for these couples who are married without having known each other before? The producers must've listened the audience. This is SO much better lol. I'm sure this has already been discussed. Apologies for my lateness *mind blown*

Edited by Negritude
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Negritude said:

Sooooo I'm watching again for the first time since the wedding episodes and...no commentary from the matchmakers!!! Who's gonna tell us how difficult X situation is for any couple but especially for these couples who are married without having known each other before? The producers must've listened the audience. This is SO much better lol. I'm sure this has already been discussed. Apologies for my lateness *mind blown*

I am so glad we did not have any "experts" pop up to explain the importance of "sexy time" in a marriage.  I think the show finally realized there is some shit we can actually figure out for ourselves.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, qtpye said:

One of the things that fall into "life is unfair" category is that the person who cares less in a relationship tends to have all the power.  This is one of the reasons that the person not "into" the match on the show often looks like such an ass and the editing does not help.

It really struck me when John laid down that he might not continue, Molly was the one who was absolutely fine with ending it right then and Jon backpedaled.  Of course, maybe from info on this board, Jon really needs that 2k a week and a couple months of free rent in expensive Boston, since he recently had to quit his job.

I do not think Molly is into him and I think he knows that as well.

Boston's hairdressers will report a sudden surge in their customers opting to color their hair. Red. 

Jon will not lack for female attention after this. And good for him. He's trying his best. Molly is not a nice person. 

So, Molly is the new Jepthe, then? He and Shawniece seem to be getting along famously, suddenly. That roller skating date was sweet. She was so happy! She'a a sunny person who's ready to be pleased. Nice to see he seems to be getting that. I just love her. 

All the sexy time was cringeworthy. Please, show. We do not need to see this. 

Why did Molly put on the red wig and sit on Jon's lap, then slam the door in his face? If she's not DTF, fine. But don't hold out the cookie then snatch it away. That's mean. 

• Love 18

Ooof. That was an ugly fight between Molly and Jonathan.

First of all, I was right about what Jon was talking about re: "pike." I didn't think he was shaming her about it; he was pointing out that sometimes she DOESN'T always need all this build-up to sex if she's had sex with someone she just met. She's not into him, he knows it, it hurts him (rejection may be new to him), and he lashed out. The weird thing is, when Molly said she'd dated past people because it was instant attraction, she was attracted to Jon at first too. Logically Jon was right, but you can't apply logic here. If she's not into him, she's not, and he'd be better served by no longer trying. Keep it cordial, do the activities the show lays out, put your best foot forward because you're on TV and looking for a job, and then peace out on decision day.

29 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Boston's hairdressers will report a sudden surge in their customers opting to color their hair. Red. 

Jon will not lack for female attention after this. And good for him. He's trying his best. Molly is not a nice person. 

So, Molly is the new Jepthe, then? He and Shawniece seem to be getting along famously, suddenly. That roller skating date was sweet. She was so happy! She'a a sunny person who's ready to be pleased. Nice to see he seems to be getting that. I just love her. 

Why did Molly put on the red wig and sit on Jon's lap, then slam the door in his face? If she's not DTF, fine. But don't hold out the cookie then snatch it away. That's mean. 

Yeah, I'd be pissed too if I were Jonathan in that instance. You do my fantasy, let me carry you to bed, and then ... put on your pajamas and get on your phone. Like, what?

Shawniece is so cute. "We're going SKATING?" She was so happy! 

Ryan is so profoundly un-sexy to me. He and Jackie are going to have trouble if she wants a dude who's home all the time and he's not willing to cut back. And I'm not saying he should be - in the instances I've seen IRL, the issue has been that the person who didn't work a lot knew going in that they were with a person who did work a lot, and that was no longer palatable and then what. It's a bit different because Jackie didn't know Ryan before so she didn't know he worked all the time and she maybe could have self-selected out if they were just dating.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Molly may be pretty, but that's it.  She's too into herself and boring.  That red wig stunt was ridiculous .. She couldn't even pull that off.  I have no idea what the hell he sees in her.  I just think she's in for the money and then bolt.

• Love 12

Maybe I'm crazy but Ryan is growing on me o_o   TBH when a spouse is busy working all the time, it's actually not such a horrible thing to a relationship. If the guy was super busy playing video games, watching TV, gambling, going to strip clubs with friends ... that would be different. But the guy is just working hard and it is not the easiest thing to find a person with an incredible work ethic. It may also be a blessing in disguise and help keep the relationship fresh. How many of us have been in a cohabitating relationship where you kind of got sick of the other person always being, THERE, and not having a little space to yourself. Working a lot does not really make you a bad candidate for a marriage, it means you are savvy and want to be able to provide for that family. 

• Love 12

I am firmly Team Jon.  Molly is speaking out of both sides of her mouth.  She says she’s attracted to him but it takes her a long time to be intimate, but it really only takes 5 min if she is attracted to you, so then she finds him attractive but isn’t attracted to him.  WTF?  I think Jon’s point with the threesome was to point out her hypocrisy, and his delivery could have been better.  If she’s not into him she needs to tell him and then talk to him about if they want to try for the final 5 wks or cut bait.  But her manipulating him into staying by lying that its just a matter of time until she comes around is really crappy of her.

When Jac was talking about Ryan being gone a lot it wasn’t just because he is working two jobs.  She said he is heavy into gaming and really heavy into paintball.  They have this limited time to decide to be married or not and if he is frequently taking off to do activities which do not include her she has a valid complaint.  I’m starting to get nervous for Jac.  I think she is all in and wants a deep connection, but Ryan wants an easy relationship where he can do as he pleases and there is always a woman to come home to.  Ryan seems to be all about Ryan.  As mentioned by other posters, he doesn’t come across as genuine.  He makes these big “romantic” gestures because it makes him feel like he is this amazing guy, not to connect and give happiness to his partner.

Edited by Booger666
  • Love 19

Tell me you didn't think of a bad Adam Sandler movie when Ryan came out of the bathroom with his tighty whiteys peeking under his tool belt...

Ryan says he wants a marriage but his time has been divided into Firefighter, trying to become a professional paint baller (traveling to tourneys, practice, schmoozing possible sponsors), video gamer, Contractor, Landlord with not much wiggle room for a wife.

Shift work is hard on families who are always adjusting to an always changing work schedule.

Jackie seems to understand that while she is all in, Ryan may feel the pull of his goals and that if she can't be second to those ambitions then she has to walk away...

Thinking they will continue on D Day but by the 6 month the marriage will lose steam.....

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 10
8 hours ago, Racj82 said:

Molly has the personality of a dead fish and she looked like Peg Bundy with that wig on. But, she isn't touching Katey Segal on her best day.

Shawniece had offered to make a wig for Molly during the bowling alley double date -- surely what she ended up with wasn't the wig in question? It looked like something you get at Party City! Shawniece should demand they make it clear that was NOT one of her creations . . .

• Love 15

I did a lot of fast forwarding this episode. Obviously they were told to ramp up the playful side of the relationships. Shawnice reminds me of an immature little girl with her laughing and giggling. Ryan was embarrasing.  Jepthe is a phony. And Molly blew it. Jon looked super fine in his suit and what he did for the romantic night was sweet. Molly of course did nothing except put on the hideous cheap wig for a minute. I really think her problem is that she is not attracted to him because he doesn't have a job. It has nothing to do with his personality or looks. She's thinking about the future with this guy and doesn't know him well enough to know whether he is lazy or ambitious. It's a red flag for her. I can't stand her but at the same time I get it. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Meowwww said:

put the captions on ! :)

I actually enjoyed this episode, however did anyone else hear Jon say they were together for 5 weeks when they were having a fight, but that was supposedly before their one month anniversary?  

But Ryan's back flower tattoo?  That was a bit feminine no?

Edited by MV713
adding
  • Love 10
54 minutes ago, MV713 said:

put the captions on ! :)

I actually enjoyed this episode, however did anyone else hear Jon say they were together for 5 weeks when they were having a fight, but that was supposedly before their one month anniversary?  

But Ryan's back flower tattoo?  That was a bit feminine no?

That is what I was saying upthread. Molly’s hair was darker blonde in the bed fight scene then it was at the dinner right before that. That fight was filmed later and inserted in there. The show is trying to fool us with the timeline.

• Love 4

@Tara Ariano and @Brian Rubenstein

Thanks for the shout to the hopefully many new Danish listeners.
I did a rough translation of the piece, so here it goes:

"A podcast recap can be better than the TV show

It turns out that I don’t need live pictures to enjoy a TV program. I can just listen to a podcast about it. That is if it delivers a qualified and committed second hand experience as the American podcast Bride and Doom does when going through the American edition of the dating show Married at First Sight episode by episode.
I haven’t seen much of the American version of Married at First Sight even though I love the show’s concept of eliminating the competitive and selective elements that dominate most other dating shows. Here it’s just about getting through daily life together, perhaps even learning to enjoy it.
In the American version I don’t know the types, I don’t know the codes, and I haven’t exactly had someone to gossip about it with. All that can be amended in Bride and Doom. The two hosts Tara Ariano and Brian Rubinstein are funny, committed, and sharp at selecting and elaborating the absurdities of the show. For instance they go deep into a guy’s tendency to lose himself in his own metaphorics (something about a chocolate factory) when he is asked to answer questions about his and his wife’s sexlife.
They comment in a appropriately snarky and angry on the somewhat diffuse competences of the experts (also in USA the experts seem to think that you can tell a lot about what a person eats by looking in his fridge). And they giggle at the cheap, artificial way the show (in opposition to the Danish version) is produced. It’s better than watching it yourself."

Edited by Nanna
  • Love 5

Jackie should count her blessings that Motormouth is out of the house so much, if you ask me.

It's still nuts that the show hasn't bothered to explain Jephte's sudden turnaround. If one of his friends really did knock some sense into him off camera, set up a damned talking head interview so he can explain, or have one of the experts pry it out of him. Viewers are getting whiplash.

Along those lines, I'm looking forward to Dr. Jessica giving Molly a well deserved verbal slapdown next week. I want to hear an explanation of exactly what Jon had done that's so terrible and what she needs from him in order to permit a shred of affection. Hand holding. Something. Otherwise, my only explanation is that she had hopes of achieving minor reality show fame/a trade show modeling career, with no intention of taking the premise seriously. Stomp on someone else's feelings? No problem, as long as her hair and makeup are in place!

• Love 6

Wasn't the red head thing just a throwaway line Jon said to Molly's family when they asked which boxes she didn't tick?  And Molly's explanation to Shawniece was odd - Jon's always wanted to "be with" a red head.  What does Molly think "be with" means?  Sit next to her while she stares at her phone?

• Love 16

I noticed in this episode that Molly was doing voice overs. Differently than what you guys call “talking heads” where they show the person being interviewed then may show other stuff while they’re still talking.  It was as if she recorded audio in post-production. I didn’t notice anyone else doing that. Also, Molly looked more natural in those shots of her standing in the living room talking/being interviewed. Her hair wasn’t blown-out or flat ironed and she just looked happier somehow.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, ChiMama said:

Shawniece had offered to make a wig for Molly during the bowling alley double date -- surely what she ended up with wasn't the wig in question? It looked like something you get at Party City! Shawniece should demand they make it clear that was NOT one of her creations . . .

Production forced cold fish Molly into that heinous wig! She looked ridiculous and it matched her wretched personality. :) 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Deni said:

That is what I was saying upthread. Molly’s hair was darker blonde in the bed fight scene then it was at the dinner right before that. That fight was filmed later and inserted in there. The show is trying to fool us with the timeline.

I also noticed his 5 o’clock shadow was really there when he’d supposedly just shaved. 

• Love 2

I just can't get into this group?  How do they manage to select 2-3 people out of 6 that won't even make an effort?  What was the girls name from the New Jersey season that didn't find the guy attractive on their wedding day?  She gave him a chance and he ended up being the jerk of the two (Ryan?  He reminds me of this Ryan as well.  He's convinced himself that he's a nice guy, but he's selfish and a shitty partner).  Molly doesn't even make an effort.  90 day fiancé is far superior.  I have one myself and trust me when I see its not easy and a lot of work.  You are really invested after you do all that unlike MAFS.

• Love 1

Yes, there was definitely some fudgery when it came to timeline.  Jon absolutely was complaining about how Molly was being after 5 weeks.  So knowing that all the month-anniversary stuff we're going to see next week, actually came before the epic blow up we saw this week, makes it all a little obviously faker than usual.

If the wig-wearing wasn't on the same day as the fight, as someone suggested up-thread, then that's pretty hinky of the producers.  Either way, I like what Empress1 said about the ridiculousness of Molly going for Jon's fantasy with the red hair, and then completely failing on the follow-through!  But now we're left wondering about the after-math of the fight....not sure how they'll re-address it once the broadcast episode timeline catches up to 5 weeks. 

• Love 2