Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Love Languages

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, gonecrackers said:

They each have enough self-love & admiration without a partner along for the ride.

Depends on who gets an offer they cannot refuse... I wait for the one year divorce announcements now. Contracts make, & then break, most of these 'marriages'.

He has no spare time, hence the verbal diarrhea he thinks will keep wifey happy & not interfering with the myriad of activities that don't include her.

This week he babbled something about the 'darkness of Jaclyn's heart' - it's DEPTHS, Ryan, you idiot. She will wake up one day & kick herself for allowing his tool belt anywhere near her.

There are not enough vitamins, supplements, or major medications on the globe to cure Ryan's foot-in-mouth disease.

"Darkness of Jacklyn's heart". Ha ha .. Cracking up.

36 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

I, too was wondering where Snarkle and Jellybeans were this season...

Jon does make a nice impression when "suited up" (shout out to NPH as Barney Stinson) but causing 100% of women to drop their panties...doubtful...

.....and Evil Queen.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, Gem 10 said:
42 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

I, too was wondering where Snarkle and Jellybeans were this season...

Jon does make a nice impression when "suited up" (shout out to NPH as Barney Stinson) but causing 100% of women to drop their panties...doubtful...

.....and Evil Queen.

I think EQ was sick of how fake the show is & the extensive edits/production interference clouding what's really happening with everyone, etc.  Forgive me, @Evil Queen, if I've misspoken... am missing all their input as well.

If that's the case, though, I would agree, because I find it annoying AF, so am taking it at snark-value this season.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I think EQ was sick of how fake the show is & the extensive edits/production interference clouding what's really happening with everyone, etc.  Forgive me, @Evil Queen, if I've misspoken... am missing all their input as well.

If that's the case, though, I would agree, because I find it annoying AF, so am taking it at snark-value this season.

I miss as well.  Even tho this is a stupid show, when I sit down, which is often, I automatically reach for the I-pad and my salt & vinegar chips ( not kidding) and rev up this thread.  Its automatic and good for some laughs.?

• Love 5

I would be in the hospital with alcohol poisoning if I took a shot every time Shawneice said "huzzband."  She is really fixated on that word.

I'm curious how many folks think that Molly's lack of attraction is mostly based on the fact that Jon doesn't have a job.

I'm not super convinced about that- assuming he has retirement accounts and savings. I kind of think that his problems with excessive sweat and acting kind of immature on the honeymoon are what killed it for her more than the job thing.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

All he needs is the one :)

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

What was the names of last year's couple that never consummated their marriage?  Did they ever get together?

Cody & Danielle ?  I don't think so.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:24 PM, Adeejay said:

Molly stated that she wants to see this through to the end, even though it’s quite clear that she doesn’t have romantic feelings for Jon.  So, I can’t help but wonder if this is because she wants to collect the $100,000.  I am also wondering if the money has anything to do with Jephte’s miraculous change of heart. 

Wait wait wait, there's a CASH PRIZE?  What do you have to do to win it???  This is my first season watching.  This adds a whole new layer!

15 hours ago, lezlers said:

Wait wait wait, there's a CASH PRIZE?  What do you have to do to win it???  This is my first season watching.  This adds a whole new layer!

There are rumors that there's a cash prize but they have been debunked. (I Googled "married at first sight show fee.") That second article says they're paid $1500 an episode but couples deny that - which I think means they get less, not more. I think the show pays for the weddings and that article says they pay for the divorce if the couples split within a certain amount of time (but apparently they can't actually file for divorce until six months have passed even if they're both done on decision day). There absolutely should not be a cash prize of any real size to do this show because it would change the outcome. As I said earlier in the thread, I could stay married to someone I just wasn't that into for eight weeks if I was getting a hundred grand for it. People have gotten divorced in a short window of time for far less. And they REALLY shouldn't make pay contingent on staying together for the same reason.

I clicked through a couple of other articles and the Australia & New Zealand versions pay their participants pretty minimally. One New Zealand guy said he was paid $60 a day and had to pay three grand in legal fees when he spoke to a lawyer about having his marriage annulled. This article says the Australian version participants get $150 a day.

• Love 1
(edited)
21 hours ago, Gem 10 said:

Cody & Danielle ?  I don't think so.

Cody and Danielle indeed did not consummate their marriage. (Why they had to file for a divorce as opposed to an annulment I don't understand.)

3 hours ago, Empress1 said:

There are rumors that there's a cash prize but they have been debunked. (I Googled "married at first sight show fee.") That second article says they're paid $1500 an episode but couples deny that - which I think means they get less, not more. I think the show pays for the weddings and that article says they pay for the divorce if the couples split within a certain amount of time (but apparently they can't actually file for divorce until six months have passed even if they're both done on decision day). There absolutely should not be a cash prize of any real size to do this show because it would change the outcome. As I said earlier in the thread, I could stay married to someone I just wasn't that into for eight weeks if I was getting a hundred grand for it. People have gotten divorced in a short window of time for far less. And they REALLY shouldn't make pay contingent on staying together for the same reason.

I clicked through a couple of other articles and the Australia & New Zealand versions pay their participants pretty minimally. One New Zealand guy said he was paid $60 a day and had to pay three grand in legal fees when he spoke to a lawyer about having his marriage annulled. This article says the Australian version participants get $150 a day.

I think Danielle was definitely done by decision day. Why bother to say she wanted to stay in the marriage? Would they pay for the divorce if she were to say she wanted a divorce, but waited 6 months to file?

I doubt a cash prize would alter the outcome by much. Would a cash prize really cause Molly to be more into Jon?

Edited by discoprincess
20 minutes ago, discoprincess said:

I think Danielle was definitely done by decision day. Why bother to say she wanted to stay in the marriage? Would they pay for the divorce if she were to say she wanted a divorce, but waited 6 months to file?

I doubt a cash prize would alter the outcome by much. Would a cash prize really cause Molly to be more into Jon?

I think a cash prize would absolutely affect the outcome. You'd get people who applied for the show solely for the money. There were a lot of people on Nick and Sonia's season who thought Nick had only applied for the show to promote his brand and I disagreed, thinking that this show was a pretty big headache for not that much promotion (fewer than a million people watched the most recent episode). I don't even think you can get "reality show-famous" from doing this show. But if there's a cash prize at the end, yeah, you'd get people who are just in it for the money. It might not make Molly feel more affectionately toward Jon, but I bet it would make her more inclined to stay in the marriage longer if there's a prize tied to staying married. I think you'd have more gaming the system. Like "Look, there's no love connection here but you're a nice guy. Let's keep up the facade for six months and split the prize money."

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

I think you'd have more gaming the system. Like "Look, there's no love connection here but you're a nice guy. Let's keep up the facade for six months and split the prize money."

I think that's exactly what's happening here. It's way too coincidental that two couples from Season 4, then two couples from Season 5, each announced their divorce after the one year mark. Danielle & Cody were the most obvious - who stays married to someone for over a year with no consummation? -  People who had some 'incentives'.

Regarding more people gaming the system, most people are not this desperate or stupid.  The pool the show has to choose from is very small to begin with, then they have to weed out anyone not camera ready or unworkable for whatever reason, & are left with very few to 'match'. 

Racking up the failures probably made it more difficult to find suitable participants, hence incentives to stay together began.  Enticing couples to at least keep an illusion of being together to past one year, creates a facade of the show being a 'success' to dupe people (who mostly aren't really paying attention to what's happening) into signing up.

I also wouldn't put it past them to be 'matching' couples who were at least known to each other online through dating apps, etc, since they are recruiting from those sites.  The Cortney/Jason & Ashley/Anthony 'successes' come to mind.  Jamie signed her life away for D level 'fame', so she's got what she wants & enough incentive to stay with Doug for the time being.

Yes, it sounds very jaded & cynical, but this is teevee so it's not hard for me to believe. I'm sure there are some pricey lawyers keeping those NDA's on lock-down, & their minions are watching the participants' SM (they moderated Sheila), so viewers will never get the full scoop.

That's my take on it & I'm sticking to it; at the very least it makes it all more fun to snark about.

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:49 PM, Gobears said:

In the previous episode, Jonathan told someone that he thought if he had met Molly at a bar and hit on her that she would not been responsive to his advances. This episode, his suspicions about her lack of attraction to him was confirmed and he lashed out. You can't make someone want you if they don't want to. I think he should just back off, play it cool and see how Molly responds. 

I agree with this.  Molly seems like the kind of girl who likes the game and the chase   Having someone at home just waiting for her to jump him might be really unattractive to her  I still think she's really not putting in any effort at all.   I think if Jon just froze her out and went about his business without really even acknowledging her, she'd change her tune pretty quickly.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, lezlers said:

There is no cash prize per say but the apartments, wedding, dinners, vacations is all paid for. They may get a stipend but that hasn't been confirmed.  But the amount thrown around has been 100 grand and that has been debunked or rather seems to come from very unreliable  sources. Even the situation with the rings where Ryan paid 1000 or so for the ring was on top of the budget he got for the ring.  I've said before unless its something like for love or money or is said I don't think these shows give money. If the bachelor doesn't even pay for the girls/guys clothes for the rose ceremony until I think its the final 4 then no this show is not giving away 100k.

• Love 1

I think that's exactly what's happening here. It's way too coincidental that two couples from Season 4, then two couples from Season 5, each announced their divorce after the one year mark. Danielle & Cody were the most obvious - who stays married to someone for over a year with no consummation? -  People who had some 'incentives'.

This was the absolute most fake stay together of all time.  Danielle and Cody had antichemistry,  meaning watching paint dry was more exciting then these two.  However, both did not seem all that stable financially, so I can imagine them riding it out just for a mild financial gain.  I mean they have already signed away their dignity and go matched up with a dud to be on the show, so might as well get what you can out of it.

Also, when couples stay together, there seems to a lot more interest in them on social media.  I remember Danielle posting a lot of pictures of her trip to Bali and promoting her health/wellness business.  Any attentions might be welcome if you have a new/struggling business.  I also remember Cody lost the gym he supposedly ran with his brother, so he too might have needed a little extra cash/exposure.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, qtpye said:

This was the absolute most fake stay together of all time.  Danielle and Cody had antichemistry,  meaning watching paint dry was more exciting then these two.  However, both did not seem all that stable financially, so I can imagine them riding it out just for a mild financial gain.  I mean they have already signed away their dignity and go matched up with a dud to be on the show, so might as well get what you can out of it.

Also, when couples stay together, there seems to a lot more interest in them on social media.  I remember Danielle posting a lot of pictures of her trip to Bali and promoting her health/wellness business.  Any attentions might be welcome if you have a new/struggling business.  I also remember Cody lost the gym he supposedly ran with his brother, so he too might have needed a little extra cash/exposure.

I could see Cody & Danielle resolving themselves to more of a roommate relationship though Cody would probably go back and live with his parents. It sucks that he lost the gym. I remember someone posting about it and when I took a look, the gym seemed like a really cool place. Maybe he can do something else that doesn't require such a huge investment. 

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Regarding more people gaming the system, most people are not this desperate or stupid.  The pool the show has to choose from is very small to begin with, then they have to weed out anyone not camera ready or unworkable for whatever reason, & are left with very few to 'match'. 

Racking up the failures probably made it more difficult to find suitable participants, hence incentives to stay together began.  Enticing couples to at least keep an illusion of being together to past one year, creates a facade of the show being a 'success' to dupe people (who mostly aren't really paying attention to what's happening) into signing up.

[snip]

Yes, it sounds very jaded & cynical, but this is teevee so it's not hard for me to believe. I'm sure there are some pricey lawyers keeping those NDA's on lock-down, & their minions are watching the participants' SM (they moderated Sheila), so viewers will never get the full scoop.

Sheila seemed like she was going to go rogue and spill all that tea.  I don't think the producers appreciated it.

I agree that the pool of people seemed small to begin with, especially the men (and to go further, especially black men). While Sheila wasn't perfect, she certainly deserved better than Nate, who was macking on her at the altar. Like people think that Shawniece should have shown more decorum on day 1 than giving Jephte a lap dance, Nate should have also shown more decorum. Nate claimed he was in it for the long haul, but he seemed to be doing too much, and in the end we saw why. I think Sheila had the best of intentions when she signed up for this show, while Nate wasn't really ready to be a husband.

It would make sense if there were an incentive for couples to stay together. Danielle didn't do what Heather had done the previous season, even though it was apparent to everyone (including her best friend/maid-of-honor who was dating her husband's brother) that Danielle wasn't feeling Cody like that. When I watched the wedding episode on demand after the season had wrapped, I noticed that Danielle almost became a runaway bride. She really seemed like she was not even going to go through with the wedding (unless that was the magic of editing).

35 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Cody lost his gym? Awww, that's too bad. No wonder he was so down on the experience. He lost his marriage (very publicly), and he lost his gym. That gym was his baby.

Cody was living out in the boondocks with his parents when the show started. I guess that was to help him cut expenses.

Nate also had a side business selling screen-printed t-shirts. He even had Danielle model one of them.

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, discoprincess said:

Sheila seemed like she was going to go rogue and spill all that tea.  I don't think the producers appreciated it.

I agree that the pool of people seemed small to begin with, especially the men (and to go further, especially black men). While Sheila wasn't perfect, she certainly deserved better than Nate, who was macking on her at the altar. Like people think that Shawniece should have shown more decorum on day 1 than giving Jephte a lap dance, Nate should have also shown more decorum. Nate claimed he was in it for the long haul, but he seemed to be doing too much, and in the end we saw why. I think Sheila had the best of intentions when she signed up for this show, while Nate wasn't really ready to be a husband.

It would make sense if there were an incentive for couples to stay together. Danielle didn't do what Heather had done the previous season, even though it was apparent to everyone (including her best friend/maid-of-honor who was dating her husband's brother) that Danielle wasn't feeling Cody like that. When I watched the wedding episode on demand after the season had wrapped, I noticed that Danielle almost became a runaway bride. She really seemed like she was not even going to go through with the wedding (unless that was the magic of editing).

Cody lost his gym? Awww, that's too bad.

Cody was living out in the boondocks with his parents when the show started. I guess that was to help him cut expenses.

Nate also had a side business selling screen-printed t-shirts. He even had Danielle model one of them.

I feel the same about Cody. Didn't know about Nate's t-shirt business. How was it that Danielle modeled one? Did I miss that? Or was it post-show? 

(edited)
7 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

I feel the same about Cody. Didn't know about Nate's t-shirt business. How was it that Danielle modeled one? Did I miss that? Or was it post-show? 

That was post-show. I don't remember if I heard about it from this message board or from another message board.

This is Nate's side business.

Like it's notable that Danielle was a model, Sheila was not modeling any of the shirts. 

It's funny that one of his shirts is "Flawed but Forgiven".

(Side note: Danielle and Nate probably would have been better suited as a match anyway.)

Edited by discoprincess

That was post-show. I don't remember if I heard about it from this message board or from another message board.

This is Nate's side business.

Like it's notable that Danielle was a model, Sheila was not modeling any of the shirts. 

It's funny that one of his shirts is "Flawed but Forgiven".

Thanks, discoprincess. This is interesting. I don't get the Danielle-Nate connection. Maybe he just mentioned it to her when they were on the show together and she signed up. Sheila would have totally been down to model for this. Maybe he removed her pics post-divorce.  Folks have mentioned people promoting their side businesses while on the show. Is there anyone doing that this season?  

• Love 2
(edited)
5 minutes ago, love2lovebadtv said:

Thanks, discoprincess. This is interesting. I don't get the Danielle-Nate connection. Maybe he just mentioned it to her when they were on the show together and she signed up. Sheila would have totally been down to model for this. Maybe he removed her pics post-divorce.  Folks have mentioned people promoting their side businesses while on the show. Is there anyone doing that this season?  

Doesn't Shawniece have her own business?

The unemployed Jon should be promoting himself. :) 

I think I had heard about Nate's side business months before Sheila put Nate on blast on social media for cheating on her. While that doesn't mean that the marriage was hunky-dory until that point, it seemed that Sheila's outburst was a reaction to having recently found out that Nate had been seeing other women.

Edited by discoprincess
  • Love 1

The unemployed Jon should be promoting himself. :) 

Shawniece is a cosmetologist who aspires to have her own salon. I think she might also make wigs.

If Jon wants to stay in finance, this show isn't going to help him.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Shawniece is a cosmetologist who aspires to have her own salon. I think she might also make wigs.

If Jon wants to stay in finance, this show isn't going to help him.

Shawniece could use the exposure. I agree that this would hinder rather than help Jon if he's in finance.  I don't see how it would help anyone careerwise except a business owner/entrepreneur.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, discoprincess said:

She's been modeling her business quite often on show - the wigs.  She said she made the purplish/red atrocity 'just for Molly', but my guess is she vacuumed it off after digging it out of the 80s forgettables box.  It was not her best choice for advertisement.

Edited by gonecrackers
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

She's been modeling her business quite often on show - the wigs.  She said she made the purplish/red atrocity 'just for Molly', but my guess is she vacuumed it off after digging it out of the 80s forgettables box.  It was not her best choice for advertisement.

Shawnice HAD to make that wig to be funny.  If it was supposed to look good, she is in trouble.

3 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Okay, so I guess it probably came out of the 'costumes box'.

There's no way she made that wig. At least I hope not. It looked like a costume for sure. The wig she's wearing in this episode isn't anything special. Her natural hair is gorgeous, though. And she's adorable either way. 

Molly, on the other hand, looked ummm different. I can't believe she even put that on.