Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E04: Meri's Crazy Idea

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Oh lordy that picture...! I forgot about that. 

That picture is just awful. I like how they just decide to ignore facts and make up their own history.

• Love 4
On 2/3/2018 at 3:29 PM, Absolom said:

I don't understand giving into people like Meri either.  My dearly departed MIL was the same way.  People gave into her all the time with the excuse of that's just the way she is.  Then she met me and I pretty much refused to ever give into her.  After a few tries, she quit trying to play games with me.

This is only way to deal with a deceptive narcissist. They might throw a few temper tantrums, cry "you all hate me, woe to me, my life is ruined" a few times but they do eventually stop trying when they know the game is over. Well done. I wish the family would do the same thing to Meri. 

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

This is only way to deal with a deceptive narcissist. They might throw a few temper tantrums, cry "you all hate me, woe to me, my life is ruined" a few times but they do eventually stop trying when they know the game is over. Well done. I wish the family would do the same thing to Meri. 

Sadly, I think that ship has sailed.  Meri's not ever going to think about anyone but Meri.  Her mother and sisters all probably let her get away with bullying them.  She's not assertive, she's aggressive.  The family's never going to be rid of her, unless Doofus doesn't call her to his godly planet in the next life.  What a horrible thought.

• Love 7

Hummm now I'm curious.  Do these couples ever separate or are they tied together forever?

On Air I don't believe they can leave.  Their lives are all tied up with network contracts and I'm guessing those homes on the cul de sac are also part of the package so the network can decide who comes and who goes.  Many attorneys draw up these contracts for young reality stars hoping to make it in tv.  They sign anything to get a show.

When the show becomes a hit then the contract comes back to bite them with the network having total control over their 'popular' lives.

I'm wondering when it does not work out between a man with multiple wives in real life do they split or just go on?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I'm wondering when it does not work out between a man with multiple wives in real life do they split or just go on?

Depends on the sect. Some wives could be reassigned to another man. Despite what the Browns have blah-blahed about living together under one roof, the majority of plyg families live in seperate homes. The husband just stops coming over. If they DO all live under one roof, the wife and kids move out to a smaller home. In the very small town I lived in, the wives just left town when things were over. The nice thing about being spiritually married is no paperwork and no obligation. The wife is usually already getting assistance, so nothing really changes there.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Hummm now I'm curious.  Do these couples ever separate or are they tied together forever?

On Air I don't believe they can leave.  Their lives are all tied up with network contracts and I'm guessing those homes on the cul de sac are also part of the package so the network can decide who comes and who goes.  Many attorneys draw up these contracts for young reality stars hoping to make it in tv.  They sign anything to get a show.

I feel like if any one of the wives decided to leave, they would get their own show. And that must be appealing to someone like Meri who is so desperate for attention! She could break free and have a show about living single and running the B&B.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

I feel like if any one of the wives decided to leave, they would get their own show.

But what would there be to show?  These are the most boring women on the planet.  Nobody has a job.  Nobody does charity work.  They presumably cook and clean but I can watch my neighbor do that.  There isn't anything remotely interesting to film.

• Love 8
29 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:

I feel like if any one of the wives decided to leave, they would get their own show. And that must be appealing to someone like Meri who is so desperate for attention! She could break free and have a show about living single and running the B&B.

And selling lulu.  "Today we are going to the post office to mail a SKIRT!!!   Maybe we will stop and buy a Snickers bar at the gas station......"

• Love 12
3 hours ago, Galloway Cave said:

Depends on the sect. Some wives could be reassigned to another man. Despite what the Browns have blah-blahed about living together under one roof, the majority of plyg families live in seperate homes. The husband just stops coming over. If they DO all live under one roof, the wife and kids move out to a smaller home. In the very small town I lived in, the wives just left town when things were over. The nice thing about being spiritually married is no paperwork and no obligation. The wife is usually already getting assistance, so nothing really changes there.

I forgot about the assistance with all those kids..no job and no husband.  I wonder if they even put the guys name on the birth certificate or just put unknown!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

But what would there be to show?  These are the most boring women on the planet.  Nobody has a job.  Nobody does charity work.  They presumably cook and clean but I can watch my neighbor do that.  There isn't anything remotely interesting to film.

I think that the Browns have secret lives that we have no clue about (yes, I am ending the sentence with a preposition, ack).  Janelle revealed that she went to a Korean bath house with some friends.  Who knows what the others are up to (Preposition, ack)...especially Kody.  What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!

• Love 8
11 hours ago, neh said:

I think that the Browns have secret lives that we have no clue about (yes, I am ending the sentence with a preposition, ack).  Janelle revealed that she went to a Korean bath house with some friends.  Who knows what the others are up to (Preposition, ack)...especially Kody.  What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!

I wonder how often they're recognized. I heard through the grapevine of acquaintances that Meri is rude (no surprise there), Christine is nice and unsure about the others. I probably wouldn't say anything if I saw them, but I'd jump on here and let you all know! 

• Love 6
39 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

I wonder how often they're recognized. I heard through the grapevine of acquaintances that Meri is rude (no surprise there), Christine is nice and unsure about the others. I probably wouldn't say anything if I saw them, but I'd jump on here and let you all know! 

I've heard that Kody is SOOO busy and SOOOO important that he is rude to "fans" who recognize him and ask for photos.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

This is a spin off I could get behind.  Actually not with Meri, I would like to see how the other wives start a new life.  Meri just isn't compelling enough to me.  Most of the show she has been doing her own thing anyway.  I think Christine, who never has really held a job, would be interesting.  

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

This is a spin off I could get behind.  Actually not with Meri, I would like to see how the other wives start a new life.  Meri just isn't compelling enough to me.  Most of the show she has been doing her own thing anyway.  I think Christine, who never has really held a job, would be interesting.  

Definitely not Meri! Imagine how big her ego would become? Not just a show, but her own? Only way I would watch such a thing is if they set her up to make a foo of herself like they do with Whitney on MBFFL.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I could imagine Christine seeking a spin-off as a choreographer for one of the big time LV revues or maybe even a singing engagement somewhat like Celine Dion had.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

They kept saying Tony was the first to get a claddagh ring to carry on the tradition, why didn't Caleb get one?

And how is that carrying on a tradition? What was the tradition ?

• Love 4

It seems to be a Brown thing, all the wives got one and I got the sense they were going to start passing it on to the children's spouses. I just want to know did Caleb refuse it? Was he not worthy? And what are Utah polygamist mormons doing with an Irish symbol?

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, lu1535 said:

It seems to be a Brown thing, all the wives got one and I got the sense they were going to start passing it on to the children's spouses. I just want to know did Caleb refuse it? Was he not worthy? And what are Utah polygamist mormons doing with an Irish symbol?

They simply mistook Tony for a girl at first.  An honest mistake with that hair he had going on, and the man boobs.   Caleb wasn't offered one because they knew he was a guy.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, lu1535 said:

They kept saying Tony was the first to get a claddagh ring to carry on the tradition, why didn't Caleb get one?

44 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Caleb got Knighted, so maybe he got a sword.

Caleb got a watch!

• Love 3
On 2/5/2018 at 12:28 PM, Jeanne222 said:

When the show becomes a hit then the contract comes back to bite them with the network having total control over their 'popular' lives.

Perhaps a Mormon can chime in how to UNSEAL a marriage. Here's a link about it, but, it's my understanding that a legal divorce in no way effects the celestial marriage, but, it has to be cancelled by the church.  And, I am aware that the Browns are not regular LDS and therefore not married in the standard LDS temples, but, the article does provide some info on it. 

https://www.thoughtco.com/can-mormons-divorce-if-temple-marriage-2159554

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
On 2/6/2018 at 2:19 PM, ginger90 said:

And how is that carrying on a tradition? What was the tradition ?

It's the tradition of the Brown's giving each other Claddagh rings. Similar in nature to their old tradition of "mock" desserts and rewriting their personal histories PRN.

• Love 7

I know they put a ton of work into the flowers, but they still looked tacky.  Since that’s what she wanted, those bouquets are available on a lot of the Chinese mfg trading sites.   While you’re not paying for the family labor, it does end up expensive if you consider the opportunity costs of everyone’s time in assembling them.  Time that could’ve been spent planning other things, on family “businesses,” kids reading or playing, making strange casseroles, etc. 

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

While you’re not paying for the family labor, it does end up expensive if you consider the opportunity costs of everyone’s time in assembling them.

Another perk of polygamy - home grown slave labor.

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, For Cereals said:

I know they put a ton of work into the flowers, but they still looked tacky.  Since that’s what she wanted, those bouquets are available on a lot of the Chinese mfg trading sites.   While you’re not paying for the family labor, it does end up expensive if you consider the opportunity costs of everyone’s time in assembling them.  Time that could’ve been spent planning other things, on family “businesses,” kids reading or playing, making strange casseroles, etc. 

I think Mykelti was hoping for family involvement in this project to validate the union of her and Tony and was disappointed when that didn't come.  7000 flower petals was overwhelming for anyone and I think only Aspyn helped out, even Tony didn't feel it was a "manly" thing to do.  Her own mother only contributed a few flowers from the cut up dress and Kody was only interested in the fact that they saved Thousands, Thousands by Mykelti taking this on.

For a few hundred dollars, they could have asked the local supermarket to order carnations or some other cheap and cheerful flower dyed in the color theme, tied them up with silver ribbon and had a far better looking bouquet.  No one would consider those tacky fabric arrangements worth keeping for display after the event anyhow.

• Love 4
On 2/5/2018 at 11:30 AM, xwordfanatik said:

She's not assertive, she's aggressive.  

100% agree  I think the best adjective to describe Meri, in part, came from Kody: Emotionally Abusive. 

In a couch session about their ideal living situation, back before fore they had moved to Vegas, Kody talked about how important separate kitchens were for each wife because they had experience sharing a kitchen once and it had lead to an “abusive situation.”  He was referring to the way Meri treated Janelle when she first married Kody and they had disagreements about washing dishes or something. Meri, on cue, started weeping that Kody would refer to her in that context and claimed to feel bad. 

Classic Meri: emotionally abusive or manupitalive and then plays the victim card when she gets called out on it. 

• Love 14
On 2/5/2018 at 8:18 PM, Jeanne222 said:

I forgot about the assistance with all those kids..no job and no husband.  I wonder if they even put the guys name on the birth certificate or just put unknown!

If they are already on or planning to apply for public assistance, it’s unlikely that they identify the father on the birth certificate.  The state can seek child support payments directly from the father if the mother seeks public assistance. I believe this is true in all states. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Jazzhands said:

If they are already on or planning to apply for public assistance, it’s unlikely that they identify the father on the birth certificate.  The state can seek child support payments directly from the father if the mother seeks public assistance. I believe this is true in all states. 

In NYS, the mother HAS to name the father, or she is ineligible for public assistance. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

What if you don't know the name of the father? Like you had so many partners you cant be sure who got you pregnant or the pregnancy was the result of a one night stand and you don't even know his name or something (it happens, not judging). 

Just curious. 

That's the entire premise of Maury Povich.

• Love 12
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

For a few hundred dollars, they could have asked the local supermarket to order carnations or some other cheap and cheerful flower dyed in the color theme, tied them up with silver ribbon and had a far better looking bouquet.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I LOVE LOVE LOVE carnations!  I think they smell absolutely wonderful and they are perky and adorable flowers.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I think Mykelti was hoping for family involvement in this project to validate the union of her and Tony and was disappointed when that didn't come.  7000 flower petals was overwhelming for anyone and I think only Aspyn helped out, even Tony didn't feel it was a "manly" thing to do.  Her own mother only contributed a few flowers from the cut up dress and Kody was only interested in the fact that they saved Thousands, Thousands by Mykelti taking this on.

So I had to do the math to truly understand the massiveness of the 7,000 flower petals from hell.  I'm going to say 5 minutes for each petal - that's cutting the fabric, threading the needle, sewing it, knotting it off and taking it to the appropriate pile.  Have a sip of tea, or wine, or let's face it - scotch.  That means it would take 35,000 minutes to make the petals - that's not even putting them into the flowers themselves.  That's  583.3 hours or 24.3 DAYS just to make effing PETALS.  

Now let's say everyone helped - yes Kody, Tony and Caleb, man up - that includes you.  Plus there are at least 2 other women as bridesmaids that aren't kids in the family.  Give Truley, Soloman and baby sister a bye since - yea, and also Hunter - AFA in Colorado and Logan because school and work and he's not living there.  That still leaves 22 people to sew flowers.  That would still mean each person would have to spend more than one entire day doing nothing but sewing effing petals.  

In that line, I can only say, Mykelti - grow the eff up.  Give each bridesmaid 2 red roses tied with a silver ribbon and even if you got a dozen deep red roses - you're done in like 10 minutes top.  What a selfish little bitty!

• Love 14
47 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I don't care what anyone else thinks, I LOVE LOVE LOVE carnations!  I think they smell absolutely wonderful and they are perky and adorable flowers.

I had a beautiful bouquet of pink and white carnations at my wedding in the early 70's.  We got married for very little money and are still together over 40 years later.

There's nothing wrong with a minimalist wedding.  It's the commitment that matters.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

What if you don't know the name of the father? Like you had so many partners you cant be sure who got you pregnant or the pregnancy was the result of a one night stand and you don't even know his name or something (it happens, not judging). 

Just curious. 

Sometimes they run a number of paternity tests.  When the mom finds out there won’t be any assistance, it’s amazing how quickly she remembers the father’s name. 

• Love 5

Oh dear Christine should never sing. Ever Ouch

Mckelty "We can all keep these flowers forever."  Smart money says some did not make the car ride home due to a collision with a trash can. 

• Love 14

I’m watching the repeat showing (I’m on the West coast) before the new episode. I didn’t catch it last time that when Kody was giving his pre-wedding blessing to M&T that he gets genuinely choked up and has tears in his eyes. It’s rather sweet. Mykelti doesn’t seemed moved at all. :( I know I’m looking at this scene as someone who doesn’t have a dad anymore (he passed a couple years ago and it was just the anniversary, so I get extra misty this time of year). But if my dad was on the verge of tears because he loved me and was happy for me? I’d be a puddle on the floor. 

OK it feels weird thinking a nice thing about Kody. From the previews it looks like he’s back to his classic chaos in tonight’s episode so these feelings should be short-lived. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Starsandbucks said:

I’m watching the repeat showing (I’m on the West coast) before the new episode. I didn’t catch it last time that when Kody was giving his pre-wedding blessing to M&T that he gets genuinely choked up and has tears in his eyes. It’s rather sweet. Mykelti doesn’t seemed moved at all. :( I know I’m looking at this scene as someone who doesn’t have a dad anymore (he passed a couple years ago and it was just the anniversary, so I get extra misty this time of year). But if my dad was on the verge of tears because he loved me and was happy for me? I’d be a puddle on the floor. 

OK it feels weird thinking a nice thing about Kody. From the previews it looks like he’s back to his classic chaos in tonight’s episode so these feelings should be short-lived. 

Quite a few people agreed with you, including me.  Also - on tonight's show he stood up for his little kids against Bridezilla's demands - so I was proud of him once again!  lol

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Wings said:

Oh dear Christine should never sing. Ever Ouch

Mckelty "We can all keep these flowers forever."  Smart money says some did not make the car ride home due to a collision with a trash can. 

But Christine's assignment was to provide something *borrowed*--so everyone has to give back those "flowers".  I think they would have been sweet for "something old" but show-off Robyn had that covered.  Poor Janelle--her wrap, the most useful of gifts, was the least enthusiastically received.

• Love 7
On 2/4/2018 at 11:36 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wonder if they know that MSG is a naturally occurring substance, in addition to being added artificially to some foods. They’d best do some research. 

MSG it's harmful to the brains in babies. They had to take it out of the baby food. And adults like me have migraines and MSG causes them. So if something is natural it doesn't automatically make it good.  Many things are natural that are harmful.

• Love 3
Just now, antfitz said:

MSG it's harmful to the brains in babies. They had to take it out of the baby food. And adults like me have migraines and MSG causes them. So if something is natural it doesn't automatically make it good.  Many things are natural that are harmful.

What I meant is that it naturally occurs in some foods, without being added 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:02 AM, TurtlePower said:

Does anyone know why Mari had that whole room full of clothes? Many still or had some kind of tags on them. Is that the wardrobes they use for the shows?

I am not a mari hater.

I think it was her LulaNo inventory. The clothing she sells online.

5 minutes ago, antfitz said:

Does anyone know why Mari had that whole room full of clothes? Many still or had some kind of tags on them. Is that the wardrobes they use for the shows?

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, antfitz said:

That was done voluntarily, not because of any scientific evidence. It was purely a business and marketing strategy due to the public hysteria over MSG.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, antfitz said:

I am not a mari hater.

Meri sells clothing for a living.  Lularoe.   That is her stock.  I think she sells it online and ships it out.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:36 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

I wonder if they know that MSG is a naturally occurring substance, in addition to being added artificially to some foods. They’d best do some research. 

I lived with them in the 1970's.    Forty years later there is no point in any of them doing their research - they be old.   Edit:  Oh my gosh - I already replied to this!   Forget THEM - *I be old!!!!  ha ha ha

Edited by Kyanight
  • Love 1

So the sister wives are going to confront meri on the next show!  Lol I just love their lead ins.  Meri is a fat cow who thinks she's all that and a bag of chips!  I hope the three stand United but I doubt any good outcome!  Meri...uggg.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

That was done voluntarily, not because of any scientific evidence. It was purely a business and marketing strategy due to the public hysteria over MSG.

Not true. They took about a baby food because they found it harmful.