Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Birthday Fever

• Start Topic

These women have all kinds of personal assistants. If they can lower themselves to attend but don't want to put a dish together, their help can pick something up. I guess I don't get why lowly people like me could manage a veggie or cheese tray from a deli but we assume they can't. If it's hot out, ask for a cooler bag or just keep it in the air conditioned car. IMO it's an easier task than walking down a gangplank in stilettos.

It isn't like Teddi is asking them to go camping in Timbuktu. It's a potluck dinner.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I guess it doesn't matter though since I willingly break them.

You bad girl, you! :)

(I love that it's the visual aspect driving you -- I totally get that.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 3

For the Potluck:

I can see Kyle making a lasagna. Then Dorit saying it's not lasagna if Kyle bakes it in a casserole dish

I can see Rocio putting together a salad, then LVP in her kitchen drizzling in the dressing, tossing it, and telling it to be sexy, sexy, sexy.

I can see Erika/Rinna/Dorit - buying something to take like wine or dessert.

I don't think Potluck - necessarily means they have to cook it themselves.

• Love 13

I really enjoyed Erika this episode. She was nice and enjoyable. She also looked amazing during the rehearsal. She looks so much better with minimal make-up.

Dorit lost me several episodes ago when she was rude as hell during that photoshoot.

• Love 10

I never said otherwise. However, JM is known for his epic cig habit - four packs a day, smokes in the shower - so I doubt he'd be butthurt over a stranger on the internet making mention of it.

HOLY GOD! I smoke (maybe one pack every 2-3 days--unless there's super stress and/or day drinking, haha!) and that is pure insanity!

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

These women have all kinds of personal assistants. If they can lower themselves to attend but don't want to put a dish together, their help can pick something up. I guess I don't get why lowly people like me could manage a veggie or cheese tray from a deli but we assume they can't. If it's hot out, ask for a cooler bag or just keep it in the air conditioned car. IMO it's an easier task than walking down a gangplank in stilettos. ?

I don't assume they can't, I just think its a ridiculous way to entertain for an overnight trip. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

"Must have cut and paste the first thing that popped up on google." is what TV Diva Queen told AU Julia.  

Irrelevant. I'm still correct. 

13 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I don't assume they can't, I just think its a ridiculous way to entertain for an overnight trip. 

Yes. Absolutely tragic. Lol. 

• Love 2

He smokes in the shower? That poor bastard. 

Yeah, that's what he said in an interview. Hell, his body would probably go into shock if he quit at this point, so maybe he should just keep on puffin' on.

That's how I always do it ("must of"  is a quote within the sentence, so the period goes after).

Me, too. At least it is correct in some instances, unlike "must of".

I think it would be hilarious if everyone else is bringing baked goods too because it's what would travel best.

Too funny...and it would be Teddi's fault for not being accountable in telling each HW what they should bring.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

These women have all kinds of personal assistants. If they can lower themselves to attend but don't want to put a dish together, their help can pick something up. I guess I don't get why lowly people like me could manage a veggie or cheese tray from a deli but we assume they can't. If it's hot out, ask for a cooler bag or just keep it in the air conditioned car. IMO it's an easier task than walking down a gangplank in stilettos.

I kind of assumed that many of them would just pick up a prepared dish when they got to town. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Yes. Absolutely tragic. Lol.

Never said it was a tragedy, just odd/weird/ridiculous way to entertain. Just order in takeout or go out to dinner if you are not into cooking for your guests.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Mr. Minor said:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I find Kyle to be the most down to earth, least pretentious of the BH housewives, besides Teddi.

As much as a potluck is not these gals go to party, I think it is a fun idea.  They don't actually have to COOK the food (and please Dorit, don't.  We saw your 'food') but could pick something up on the way to DP.  It looks to me like Teddi has gone to their types of parties where she was made to feel like she was 'glass illiterate' so she is treating them to HER type of party where that stuff doesn't matter.  I think they could ALL do with a reminder that they came from backgrounds that WOULD have potlucks.  Except Teddi.  She seems like the only one that grew up with serious money and here she is the most normal.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, AUJulia said:

Irrelevant. I'm still correct. 

You're correct that there's a difference in usage between English-speaking cultures (The US versus countries in the Commonwealth) but incorrect, imo,  that the only usage accepted on a board with international posters is American.  (Last time I looked, PTV did not insist on using the AP style guide as the default for jokes about grammar, I 'must of' missed that mod post :)

(And then there's all those Yanks out there defying the AP style guide, like yourmomiseasy ;)

4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

'glass illiterate' 

LOL

I just want somebody to bring a jello mold. 

Edited by film noire
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, film noire said:

You're correct that there's a difference in usage between English-speaking cultures (The US versus countries in the Commonwealth) but incorrect that the only usage accepted on a board with international posters is American. Last time I looked, PTV did nto insist on using the AP style guide as the default for jokes about grammar :)

(And then there's all those Yanks out there in the grammar wilds, defying the AP style guide, like yourmomiseasy ;)

LOL

I just want somebody to bring a jello mold. 

That would be all kinds of awesome! 

• Love 8
10 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

That would be all kinds of awesome! 

One of those really scary ones - a real bastard packed with eggs and shrimp and ham  (tell them it's got caviar hidden in the center, and step back :)

jello mold.jpg

Edited by film noire
  • Love 14

Ahahahahahhahaa to that Jello mold! Looking at ugly mid-century food is a favorite time-waster of mine!

Oh, periods and quotation marks! The period does indeed go inside (in the US), as do commas. So do other punctuation marks, but only if they belong to the words inside the quotation marks. And if a punctuated quote is at the end of a sentence, there does not need to be a punctuation mark to end the sentence as a whole.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Jel said:

I feel Teddi's laid backness or NGAF-ishness is somehow defensive, at least in part, because she is competitive, doesn't like to be wrong and knows she probably won't do it nearly as well as the other ladies who have much more experience. So instead of accepting that she has lots to learn, she gets all "I don't care". Is there maybe an implication in there somewhere that people who do care are nothing but snotty, uptight assholes who aren't worthy of their own feelings or don't deserve to have an opinion about something?  Kinda seems like there might be, but just towards Dorit re: the glasses.  I thought she was pretty snotty about the tardiness, so more reason for me not to buy that she's laid back and not caring.  

I can't fault her for not caring about such things, no crime in that, but I do call BS that she "doesn't care". I think in one way, she cares too much, which is a shame because she could have a lot of fun being the foil to all the pretentiousness that viewers see on the show. 

I think she truly does not care.   I completely understand her being snotty about Dorit being late.  Dorit was not being honest about it or getting Teddi's point.  I have a feeling had Dorit owned up to it Teddy would not have brought it up again.  

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And if a punctuated quote is at the end of a sentence, there does not need to be a punctuation mark to end the sentence as a whole.

That's when I sometimes break the rule and move it outside because I think it looks dumb the correct way.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I think she truly does not care.   I completely understand her being snotty about Dorit being late.  Dorit was not being honest about it or getting Teddi's point.  I have a feeling had Dorit owned up to it Teddy would not have brought it up again.  

Yeah I think Teddi doesnt care about the right glasses, she cares about the way Dorit treated her, being a conscending lying* asshole, about the glasses and being late.

*about how late she was.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

That's when I sometimes break the rule and move it outside because I think it looks dumb the correct way.

But if it's a question mark or exclamation point that applies only to the quoted material, you'd be making the whole sentence a question or exclamation.

I am definitely familiar with that "looks dumb" thing; my former bosses used to uncorrect my work because of that, causing me to have to correct their corrections!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, BBHN said:

Yeah but we have seen on occasion, they don't always attend each and every single event. Teddi could have not gone, but might have decided to try and do the nice thing.

I'm not sure I am following. If someone is invited to someone else's house for dinner, one option is to say "No, no, let me take you out to dinner instead?"

It's all in the delivery...

This would make me mad.  Attend or don't attend but this is MY party to do as I see fit.  Teddi wouldn't be true to herself if she threw a party like the other ladies do and I find a diversity of personalities a bonus.  To have someone change the party style because someone 'doesn't do potlucks' is the height of bad manners.  

• Love 9

Dorit's Fever performance

KFB thoughts:

In comparison to other HW's, I think she did okay. Even though she whispered for the most part, the parts I heard at least she can carry a tune. She's definitely better vocally than Luann, Sonja, Melissa , Jo/Gretchen from OC.

Dorit's dance moves - again way better than Luann/Victoria or Sonja.

I was going to give her props for having the balls to get up there, but then I remembered - like Rosie from Jersey who grows camera balls after a few drinks - I think Dorit got her help with a bump in the bathroom and a shot or two.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, periods and quotation marks! The period does indeed go inside (in the US).

And the difference, iirc,  is because of typesetting, not any language-related reason (the "period" symbol would break during printing, so they tucked it within the quotes and it was better protected). 

30 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I think she truly does not care. 

I agree  (and with Teddi having grown up around celebrity culture, I'm sure she's been exposed to lots of snobs and the wannabe crowd, and she might see Dorit's inability to focus on the conversation -- just because she had the wrong glass in her hand -- as part of that world.)

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, TattleTeeny said:

But if it's a question mark or exclamation point that applies only to the quoted material, you'd be making the whole sentence a question or exclamation.

I am definitely familiar with that "looks dumb" thing; my former bosses used to uncorrect my work because of that, causing me to have to correct their corrections!

Yeah, I don't do it with question marks or exclamation points because those look even more dumb when done wrong.  And I only do it on informal stuff, not work items.  And yes, I just made the stylistic choice to start two sentences with and.  I'll even start with but if I feel like it.  It's kind of like glasses, I know the correct stemware, but I do whatever the fuck I want because no one is the boss of me, not even me.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, film noire said:

One of those really scary ones - a real bastard packed with eggs and shrimp and ham  (tell them it's got caviar hidden in the center, and step back :)

jello mold.jpg

That is so awful!  SOOO pleased that is no longer a thing.  Caviar hidden inside?  Like the baby in a Kings Cake?  

• Love 3

And the difference, iirc,  is because of typesetting, not any language-related reason (the "period" symbol would break during printing, so they tucked it within the quotes and it was better protected). 

Pretty much! There's a bunch of leftover stuff like that from ye olde typesetting days, including (I think--don't quote me. Haha, see what I did there?!) the double space after a period.

Yeah, I don't do it with question marks or exclamation points because those look even more dumb when done wrong.  And I only do it on informal stuff, not work items.  And yes, I just made the stylistic choice to start two sentences with and.  I'll even start with but if I feel like it.  It's kind of like glasses, I know the correct stemware, but I do whatever the fuck I want because no one is the boss of me, not even me.

Hey, man, I (and many style manuals) have no issue with starting a sentence with "and" or but" or whatever! And (<yeah!) even as an editor, while I definitely have a long list of grammar/usage/syntax peeves, I don't get too bent about informal stuff anyway; shit happens when you're having a casual, friendly conversation, be it in person or via typing! Plus, if everyone knew everything, I'd be outta work.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

As much as a potluck is not these gals go to party, I think it is a fun idea.  They don't actually have to COOK the food (and please Dorit, don't.  We saw your 'food') but could pick something up on the way to DP.  It looks to me like Teddi has gone to their types of parties where she was made to feel like she was 'glass illiterate' so she is treating them to HER type of party where that stuff doesn't matter.  I think they could ALL do with a reminder that they came from backgrounds that WOULD have potlucks.  Except Teddi.  She seems like the only one that grew up with serious money and here she is the most normal.

Well they also have the right to say it is not a fun idea.  Teddi said Dorit's food was delicious.  So it is kind of weird that she would ask people to bring a dish if she thought they were awful cooks.  To me, asking someone to just pick up food is not the sign of a particularly gracious hostess.  I could understand if someone had particular dietary restrictions like Kosher or something but Teddi is making six figures for doing the show-buy some groceries, hire a chef.  There is also the reality that Teddi doesn't know what is being said so she is oblivious to the reactions of the others to her demands.

I don't necessarily think Teddi gets to own being the most normal.  Just not being into spending money does not make her the most anything.  

I doubt after the next episode airs and the snide potluck comments are aired the situation will even be mentioned.  The real showdown coming up is between LVP and Kyle.  Kyle has been being a bit of a pot stirrer this year.  Teddi running to Kyle and LVP every time she is upset, but not really upset, by Dorit is going to be interesting.  Potluck not so much.   

What is with Kyle making comments about LVP and being in a twin bed.  Twice they have had LVP in a twin bed when Kyle took the more luxury room.  Kyle is kind of being a little two faced.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, missyb said:

I also see it as all of the above. Including time management. Many personal trainers today can also act as nutritionists and make their clients accountable by filling out a food blog every day which the coach reads, comments, advises changes, etc. It seems as if she  fell into this vocation through her own experience of being over weight and then losing the weight. I actually think it is a good benefit to many people. Its like having a friend by your side .

I agree.  I poked around on her website and she seems to have other coaches that work for her.  In reading their bios, they all seem to mention how much weight they lost in 6 weeks.  My guess is that she provides a 6 week program that includes nutrition and fitness.  As you mentioned, you probably to send your coach your daily food and exercise log and they provide input and encouragement.  I have no problem with what she does.  In fact, for curiosity's sake I'm tempted to fill out the intake form and see what it's all about.  

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, film noire said:

jello mold.jpg

I'm sort of mesmerized by the eggs being so perfectly placed (and assuming they were so done purposely so weirdos like me could admire it).

• Love 4

I think Teddi said (or someone posted -- terrible memory for these shows) that the clients give her money up front ($300) and if they don't do what they agreed to do in terms of exercise and eating, she keeps their money.  The desire to not lose $300 in a flash is motivating, I'm sure, to many people.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, zoeysmom said:

Well they also have the right to say it is not a fun idea.  Teddi said Dorit's food was delicious.  So it is kind of weird that she would ask people to bring a dish if she thought they were awful cooks.  To me, asking someone to just pick up food is not the sign of a particularly gracious hostess.  I could understand if someone had particular dietary restrictions like Kosher or something but Teddi is making six figures for doing the show-buy some groceries, hire a chef.  There is also the reality that Teddi doesn't know what is being said so she is oblivious to the reactions of the others to her demands.

I don't necessarily think Teddi gets to own being the most normal.  Just not being into spending money does not make her the most anything.  

I doubt after the next episode airs and the snide potluck comments are aired the situation will even be mentioned.  The real showdown coming up is between LVP and Kyle.  Kyle has been being a bit of a pot stirrer this year.  Teddi running to Kyle and LVP every time she is upset, but not really upset, by Dorit is going to be interesting.  Potluck not so much.   

What is with Kyle making comments about LVP and being in a twin bed.  Twice they have had LVP in a twin bed when Kyle took the more luxury room.  Kyle is kind of being a little two faced.

They sure do.  They do not have to accept and then Teddi's party doesn't get shown.  They didn't have to pick up food, they could have cooked it (or had their staff do it) since that was the theme of the party, a potluck.  They have options.  They can plan their own parties how they like and if the style of potluck offends their sensibilities they do not have to go.  When referring to Dorit's cooking that was my opinion and in jest.  Perhaps what she made was super tasty but it looked terrible (like a risotto I had recently, looked AWFUL but was yum!).  I just don't see how Teddi needs to be someone she is not just for the ladies.  She isn't demanding they have parties less fancy just because she isn't fancy herself.  If anything it shows me that Teddi is more comfortable in her skin because she CAN say bring a dish, we are having a normal casual party.  The others seem to be trying to one up each other by having a more fabulous party than the last.    

• Love 8
1 hour ago, KungFuBunny said:

For the Potluck:

I can see Kyle making a lasagna. Then Dorit saying it's not lasagna if Kyle bakes it in a casserole dish

I can see Rocio putting together a salad, then LVP in her kitchen drizzling in the dressing, tossing it, and telling it to be sexy, sexy, sexy.

I can see Erika/Rinna/Dorit - buying something to take like wine or dessert.

I don't think Potluck - necessarily means they have to cook it themselves.

I want Lisa to bring goat cheese balls from Sur.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, beaker73 said:

I agree.  I poked around on her website and she seems to have other coaches that work for her.  In reading their bios, they all seem to mention how much weight they lost in 6 weeks.  My guess is that she provides a 6 week program that includes nutrition and fitness.  As you mentioned, you probably to send your coach your daily food and exercise log and they provide input and encouragement.  I have no problem with what she does.  In fact, for curiosity's sake I'm tempted to fill out the intake form and see what it's all about.  

Someone posted her "contract" somewhere.  You have to send her pictures of all your meals by a certain time and a bunch of other crap and if you screw up one time she boots you and keeps all your money and it's either $300 or $350 for either a 1 or 2 week period.  (I'm a little foggy on remembering the numbers, apparently)  It's a good racket if you can get clients and make it work.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

They sure do.  They do not have to accept and then Teddi's party doesn't get shown.  They didn't have to pick up food, they could have cooked it (or had their staff do it) since that was the theme of the party, a potluck.  They have options.  They can plan their own parties how they like and if the style of potluck offends their sensibilities they do not have to go.  When referring to Dorit's cooking that was my opinion and in jest.  Perhaps what she made was super tasty but it looked terrible (like a risotto I had recently, looked AWFUL but was yum!).  I just don't see how Teddi needs to be someone she is not just for the ladies.  She isn't demanding they have parties less fancy just because she isn't fancy herself.  If anything it shows me that Teddi is more comfortable in her skin because she CAN say bring a dish, we are having a normal casual party.  The others seem to be trying to one up each other by having a more fabulous party than the last.    

In fairness, tho, some of us tune in for this reason.  The opulence, the extravagance, the chi chi chi. Maybe it's just me.  If I want to watch people going to pick up cruditees platters at Costco, I'll watch OC.

• Love 11

Teddi said Dorit's food was delicious.  So it is kind of weird that she would ask people to bring a dish if she thought they were awful cooks.

All that proves is that Teddi is much more gracious guest than Dorit.

To me, asking someone to just pick up food is not the sign of a particularly gracious hostess. 

It is if you are having a potluck dinner. That is the point of a potluck dinner.

Teddi is making six figures for doing the show-buy some groceries, hire a chef. 

What does her salary have to do with it? Again, it's a potluck dinner. I didn't realize only the po' folk were allowed to have events like that.

It's a good racket if you can get clients and make it work.

Especially if it leads to positive changes in their lives.

I want Lisa to bring goat cheese balls from Sur.

I wouldn't be surprised if whatever LVP brings was prepared in the Sur kitchen ;)

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Jel said:

In fairness, tho, some of us tune in for this reason.  The opulence, the extravagance, the chi chi chi. Maybe it's just me.  If I want to watch people going to pick up cruditees platters at Costco, I'll watch OC.

I like seeing the opulence as well. But  I like the juxtaposition of seeing the 2 types of parties and lifestyles**.  I'm sure the OC folks don't think of themselves as 'potluck' people either even though many of them couldn't actually afford a crudite platter from Costco without taking out a 3rd mortgage on their home.  

**I worked around old money and new money for a time.  The old money I was around would have done the potluck thing while new money would turn their nose up at it.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Someone posted her "contract" somewhere.  You have to send her pictures of all your meals by a certain time and a bunch of other crap and if you screw up one time she boots you and keeps all your money and it's either $300 or $350 for either a 1 or 2 week period.  (I'm a little foggy on remembering the numbers, apparently)  It's a good racket if you can get clients and make it work.

Damn....

• Love 2

a-12.gif?resize=300,200

Kyle has been being a bit of a pot stirrer this year. 

Kyle has always been a bit of a pot stirrer, and sometimes more than a bit (S1).

The!Potluck...at least there will be food there, unlike that sorry ass party Erika threw.

• Love 10
14 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Ha (can I start a sentence with that?) I was just thinking that all these posts regarding punctuation are right up there with insistence on knowing the correct stemware. I am with you - I know, but just don't care. In fact I think I will start to put the period outside of quotation marks for my Canadian friends (I am Canadian) and inside the quote for my American friends. On boards like this? I'll just wing it, as I don't give a flying f**k. 

I really like Teddy, and totally understand why she was hesitant to invite the ladies to her beach house. After glassgate I would be too. My house is my dream home, and I only invite people who are coming here to enjoy our company, not give a lecture on correct stemware. Pretentious people bore me to tears. It isn't that I care what they think, it is that I don't care at all what they think. Or want them in my home. 

I did laugh at Dorito describing transportation from the helicopter to the party boat. The last mode she described as a speed boat. It looked like a motorized dinghy to me. (Someone here used the correct term but I don't remember it). More suitable for Inspector Clouseau than James Bond I thought. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, AUJulia said:

I was going to ❤️ your post until I saw you wrote "must of".  In the US, it's "must of." ??

ETA: note where the period is placed wrt the quotation marks. 

3 hours ago, AUJulia said:

I was referring to the placement of the period. It goes inside the quotation marks. 

I am post menopausal.  Ergo, period placements have very little to do with my old addled brain .  AND - my arms are DISABLED!!!  An excuse for the fucking ages .., and why I cannot type for shit. ;-)

Besides, Babalu kitty has draped his corpulence across my arms and my keyboard.  I blame him for every & all punctuation transgressions.

• Love 14