Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Clooney

• Start Topic

I don't get the title.  Clooney.  Did I miss a reference?

OK, it's great that Randall's little adventure led to something.  But, does it really matter if he had had a girlfriend.  He's dead, plus it obviously hadn't worked out because he was with Jesse.  

I think my favorite part of the episode was Kate's face when Madison said she finally had a best friend.  LOL.  But, yeah, I actually really enjoyed their scenes.  I hope they do become best friends.

It's a little hard to get excited about Jack's business since I imagine he'll be dead within 2 months tops.

• Love 17

So if they hadn't forgotten the batteries for the smoke detector, Jack wouldn't have died in the fire? This show...

Sad how excited Rebecca was about shopping with teen Kate. A brief shining moment, and then the weight problems.

Miguel claims that he didn't have feelings for Rebecca when Jack was alive. Riiiiiiiiight. I don't think he was being completely truthful on that. Still if Rebecca is happy, that should be all that matters. Glad that Kevin is trying to accept that.

Garrett Morris as Floyd was awesome. And for the record, Clooney isn't an ugly cat. A little scrappy looking, but not ugly!

• Love 23

Wasn't that the cat's name?  I thought for certain he would some how end up with Randall.  

Just now, Neurochick said:

Don’t those things beep like crazy if you don’t replace the batteries?  Mine does.

Mine, too. And it always realizes it's out of batteries at 2 in the morning.  Without fail.  2 in th morning.  Yes,  know I could avoid this by actually changing the batteries proactively like you're supposed to.  But, where's the fun in that?

• Love 9
1 minute ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Clooney was the name of William's cat, the one shown throughout the episode.

I'll be honest; I thought Clooney was the name of the Pearson's dog in the past and was trying to figure out what the dog had to do with the title of the episode.

I kinda love Kate and Madison. They make good friends and Kate can use a friend. I would say Kate's maid of honor but I'm sure Kevin will fill that roll.

A little bored with Randall and Williams old apartment building. 

Hopefully Kevin and the rest of the big 3 will give Miguel a break now. He and Rebecca have a different type of life/love story.

Are we done with Sophie? Not like i mind. When a nurse can't tell her boyfriend is tripping balls she is useless.

All this talk about Jack wanted to start a construction company and 3 kids going to college makes me wonder how career housewife/mother handles needing to become the bread winner with her minimal skill set. That's a story line I'm interested in seeing.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I think my favorite part of the episode was Kate's face when Madison said she finally had a best friend. 

I liked that too.  However, the moment that topped that for me was Annie saying she would rather have the Costco than the park during Beth's rant. 

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Also, Randall wants to buy a building in a completely different state? Are they going to end up moving, then? Damn, if that's the case, poor Tess and Annie. 

It's not like they're going to live in that run-down dilapidated building in a bad neighborhood.  You can own and run a building without living nearby.  They'll probably hire someone to do the day to day stuff.

3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Garrett Morris as Floyd was awesome.

Thank you.  I couldn't figure out who that was.

• Love 5

II was waiting for them to cut to Randall at the mall and then that damn smoke detector!

I'm getting my Madison/Kate friendship! I want them to love and annoy each other forever. I think it was good for Kate to have that outlet to care for another person. And to not be the one calling for help from the bathroom floor for once.

• Love 20
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

It's not like they're going to live in that run-down dilapidated building in a bad neighborhood.  You can own and run a building without living nearby.  They'll probably hire someone to do the day to day stuff.

True. How far DOES Randall live from William's old place? I swear, in season 1, it felt like it was hours away, judging by William spending hours on a bus. 

• Love 1

Damn you batteries of doom! Always check your smoke detector, kids. With Jack saying how he wanted to start his business again, I was like "damn it Jack, why dont you just announce your going to retire after just one job?!"

Some nice moments with Rebecca and Kevin in the present, and Jack and Kevin in the past. Also, while I am really not trying to just bash on Miguel, but I thought it was kind of dickish how he said how Jack gave up his business ownership dreams after he had the kids. He didn't mean it like that, but it sounded a bit like "Yeah your dad had dreams once...then you three money vacuums ruined it". At least, thats how it could be taken by teenagers. 

Kate and Madison were sweet together, and I liked how they bonded, while Kate learned that she shouldn't be so judgy towards people. Kate really does need some friends outside of her family. 

Clooney is an adorable cat. Rather beaten up, but he is clearly a cute kitty cat, especially if he had a bath. 

Beth needs a personal day, because she seems so annoyed all of the time lately. Probably doesn't help that Randall is on another one of his kicks again, and wants to do some big huge thing, without really talking it over with her first. Well, he "talked" about it, in a way that said "I must now do this or my life is garbage". I guess when he didn't get to keep his foster kid project, he decided he wanted a whole building of projects! I know Randall means well, but...just get a cat, dude. 

• Love 23
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, it's great that Randall's little adventure led to something.  But, does it really matter if he had had a girlfriend.  He's dead, plus it obviously hadn't worked out because he was with Jesse.  

I think my favorite part of the episode was Kate's face when Madison said she finally had a best friend.  LOL.  But, yeah, I actually really enjoyed their scenes.  I hope they do become best friends.

It's a little hard to get excited about Jack's business since I imagine he'll be dead within 2 months tops.

William named the cat Clooney because he was an ugly cat, so an ironic name since George Clooney is a handsome guy.  And yes, Kate's scenes with Madison were good, I thought Chrissy Metz did a great job with her scenes tonight & the young actress playing Kate(McKenzie?) was terrific in those scenes in the Mall. 

• Love 3

I was glad that the wedding dress scenes turned out well.  It helps for Kate to be the wiser voice and help someone.  Like how it should have been with the Jami Gertz subplot.  I'm cool if she and Madison remain friends.

I'm actually liking and respecting Miguel more and more.  He knows what a family he graduated into, and he can't fill Jack's shoes.  But he doesn't try, either.  He just remains himself and it seems like Kevin is the one with whom he has the most strife.  But Kevin also admits to the faults of his late father, and so did Miguel.  It's weird; I feel like they should get along better than they do.  This feels like that talk between the two of them didn't happen, or they're just ignoring it. 

At any rate, I'm glad Miguel stood up for himself.  He hasn't done anything wrong, he loves Rebecca, and he shouldn't have to pussyfoot around Kevin anymore.

I'm over the stuff with William and the "lady" search.  Yeah, it was a nice sentiment, but William is gone, and Randall is doing whatever it takes to hold on.  So I can see why he'd be into a new mystery rather than getting a job.  But enough is enough.   Beth deserves a partner that's fully there ("This will be good for us" usually isn't a good sign)  and their daughters don't deserve to go through another separation.  I'm not really thrilled with Randall doing yet another grand gesture without consulting his wife, but at least it's for her benefit.

• Love 20

The good: I loved all the bonding moments - Kate with Madison, Kevin with Rebecca, and especially teen Kevin with Jack. I could so relate to the teen Kate scene in the dressing room. When you have body image issues, nothing is ever good enough. Kate came in with the goal to fit into a size 7 (she had the number 7 written on her wrist), and she actually did, and the dress looked great on her! But the happiness over that gave way immediately to wanting to fit into a smaller size, and when that didn't happen, her joy over the whole dress shopping experience was completely ruined.

The not-so-good: I just couldn't get invested into Randall trying to track down the "lady." We already know that William was a super-special human being who touched the lives of everyone he ever came into contact with [/sarcasm], so I didn't need to see that again. I thought Randall was very rude to take a non-urgent call during a job interview, and I don't quite see how purchasing William's old apartment building is going to help the people who live there. If he and Beth buy the building and make a ton of improvements to it, they're going to have to raise the rents to recoup the expenses, which would price out most of the people who live there. Unless he's planning to get some kind of affordable housing subsidy from the government, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

The "did we forget something at the mall?" and the shot to the battery-less smoke detector was too on the nose. We already know that there's going to be a fire and that Jack's death will be connected to it. They need to stop dropping anvils and just move that storyline forward.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 23

Really enjoyed the scenes of Kevin at home with his Mother & Miguel...everyone walking on eggshells and trying to not upset the other.  Rebecca talking about her life with Miguel, being different than her life with Jack....life with Jack was exciting, upsetting, fun, unpredictable, passionate, angry....Life with Miguel she called 'quiet", Rebecca seems content.  And I like that Miguel is protective of Rebecca, he does not want to see her hurt.   I guess after Kate's unhappy shopping trip to the Mall as a Teen, she did not want to have her Mother help her pick out a wedding dress.   That last scene was a gut-punch!

• Love 10

I have to say, I really like that the show didn't fast forward Kevin admitting that he lost Jack's necklace. I was so afraid the family would have already known and we would have missed that moment. I'm really glad they didn't, because it led to the really nice juxtaposition of Rebecca unable to take off Jack's necklace he gave her with Kevin losing Jack's necklace he gave him. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
because dog tags and necklace aren't the same thing
  • Love 11

I am so over Randall. Sad, but they’ve written him so ridiculously lately. Hopefully he’ll scale back the crazy soon. I always heard after a loss like that, you’re really not supposed to make any big changes for a year. Randall’s like a pinball. So annoying. I feel for him, but I just can’t anymore. 

Already watched the aftershow with the teen actors. Very well spoken and insightful. And they did the “Big Three” bit. 

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 4

Is anyone else thinking that Kate's behaviour at the mall might have (in Kate's eyes) made them forget the batteries for the smoke detectors and that's why she has said Jack died because of her?  We already know their house burned down and I don't think they would go so far as to have Jack die in the fire saving Kate.  Or would they? 

Inasmuch as Randall has bugged me this season, tonight looked to me like Kevin isn't the only Pearson brother Beth is unsupportive of.  I found her "I need you in the real world" knock such an insult.  He's been the stay at home parent and from much experience in that field, I can say with confidence that there's not a whole lot more "real world" than that.  It's not like he hasn't been there for her and their daughters.  I didn't find Randall's search for "Lady" compelling at all - actually that bored me.  But Randall has been supportive of Beth and he just needed a little more time and she should have trusted that.  So Beth, if Randall won't say it, I will say it on his behalf - I call marriage.

I liked Miguel being protective of Rebecca but I also understood Kevin's need to spend some time with her alone.  Miguel should respect that. 

My new favorite relationship of the whole show?  Kate and Madison :).

• Love 15

Sorry show, I still hate Miguel. First season Young Miguel was a douche long before he ever hooked up with Rebecca so I know my hatred isn't based solely on the fact that he's not Jack. 

33 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Don’t those things beep like crazy if you don’t replace the batteries?  Mine does.

They do beep when the batteries are low but the beeping stops if you take the batteries out completely. It's dangerous but, I admit, I've been guilty of doing that when it starts beeping late at night and I don't have any new batteries on hand. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Rebecca was genuinely excited to help Kate find a dress, but Kate was feeling embarrassed that she couldn't find a dress in her size and didn't want to admit it to her mom.

She did find a dress in her size-the size 7 fit her well, but it didn't make her happy. (I will say, though, that despite what Kate said in in the present, her teen self was not as thin as present-day Madison, who is extremely thin.)

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 10
7 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

Alreasy watched the aftershow with the teen actors. Very well spoken and insightful. And they did the “Big Three” bit. 

This is one of few times I wanted to see the aftershow, so I'm glad to hear it's good.

7 minutes ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

How has no one mentioned that teen Randall handcrafted a Magic 8 Ball for his crush?! How did anyone ever claim he had no game?! He had MAD game!

LOL, he really is talented.  Definitely would have gotten more than a smile.  But I expected more from that plot.  I wonder if we'll see Allison (the red-haired girl) again.

• Love 4

I loved the Kate storyline...and I loved that Kate finally is opening up to someone..as she always seemed so closed off...

Miguel and Kevin were great in their scenes...but the scene of Kevin and Becca talking about their necklaces..that got me...

I love Randall but not really this season....It seems to be all about his pain...his grief...his loss...and even the whole William storyline....Randall found him and brought him home without checking with family first...

SKB is a great actor but the character is really becoming unlikable at this point....

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The good: I loved all the bonding moments - Kate with Madison, Kevin with Rebecca, and especially teen Kevin with Jack. I could so relate to the teen Kate scene in the dressing room. When you have body image issues, nothing is ever good enough. Kate came in with the goal to fit into a size 7 (she had the number 7 written on her wrist), and she actually did, and the dress looked great on her! But the happiness over that gave way immediately to wanting to fit into a smaller size, and when that didn't happen, her joy over the whole dress shopping experience was completely ruined.

It really made me think about my senior year of high school, when I had dropped a bunch of weight and was the thinnest I'd ever been. I didn't really enjoy or appreciate it as much as I should have, because it wasn't enough. I was a short stocky Asian boy who wanted to look like an blond Abercrombie model, and that was never going to happen. That was incredibly nuanced and realistic storyline with Kate both past and present. Especially with Kate knowing what Madison was doing in the bathroom, probably because she has done it in the past.

I also really liked that Kevin and Rebecca finally spent some time together, and Miguel confronted Kevin about his attitude with them.

• Love 13
15 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

The "did we forget something at the mall?" and the shot to the battery-less smoke detector was too on the nose. We already know that there's going to be a fire and that Jack's death will be connected to it. They need to stop dropping anvils and just move that storyline forward.

The previews show Rebecca in the Steelers jersey she is wearing when she brings home Jack’s things. And next week is “A day they will all remember. I think the storyline is moving forward.  

3 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Is anyone else thinking that Kate's behaviour at the mall might have (in Kate's eyes) made them forget the batteries for the smoke detectors and that's why she has said Jack died because of her?  We already know their house burned down and I don't think they would go so far as to have Jack die in the fire saving Kate.  Or would they? 

I think Jack dies saving the dog. Or Kate begs him to go back and save the dog and the dog is already out. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

I found her "I need you in the real world" knock such an insult.  He's been the stay at home parent and from much experience in that field, I can say with confidence that there's not a whole lot more "real world" than that. 

I don't know.  Maybe she's irritated that he's being too much of a parent.  That's not actually what I want to say.  But, he obviously did that diorama completely by himself.  No way Annie helped him with that.  Of course, it will blow away the completion. Actually, it probably wont', because from what I understand all parents do their kids' projects for them nowadays.  But, maybe Beth would actually like her kids to do their own projects.  

• Love 8

I think the Kate and Madison friendship has a lot of great potential because I think it would be a great way to finally get to know Kate. I've always felt like I dont really know Kate the way I've gotten to know Randall and Kevin, or even Rebecca and Jack. What do we know about Kate? She worries about her weight a lot, was super close with her dad, resents her mom, and likes to sing. I think her having someone in her life outside of the family could allow her to open up more, and get to know her beyond the superficial. 

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

I wonder if we'll see Allison (the red-haired girl) again.

I'm sure we will.  Wasn't she the one sitting on the couch with Randall the night Jack dies.

2 minutes ago, Runningwild said:

The previews show Rebecca in the Steelers jersey she is wearing when she brings home Jack’s things. And next week is “A day they will all remember. I think the storyline is moving forward.  

They still have a whole season before they can actually show us how Jack dies, so I don't think it can move forward too much.

• Love 4

Kate made a reference that she lost a lot of weight, so are they going to show teen Kate thinner? I don't think she's fat now but she made it seem like she dieted like crazy and that didn't happen yet. I felt they were trying to make teen Kate look heavier than she was, maybe that was why?

Glad she is bonding with Madison, I know the dress will be beautiful.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Dreamboat Annie said:

Inasmuch as Randall has bugged me this season, tonight looked to me like Kevin isn't the only Pearson brother Beth is unsupportive of.  I found her "I need you in the real world" knock such an insult.  He's been the stay at home parent and from much experience in that field, I can say with confidence that there's not a whole lot more "real world" than that.  It's not like he hasn't been there for her and their daughters.  I didn't find Randall's search for "Lady" compelling at all - actually that bored me.  But Randall has been supportive of Beth and he just needed a little more time and she should have trusted that.  So Beth, if Randall won't say it, I will say it on his behalf - I call marriage.

I think the whole issue is that Randall is not really understanding that his decisions are a sole result of losing William. He isn't communicating his thoughts and feelings, so I'm not so sure Beth has tuned in to the fact that Randall is still heavily grieving over William. I think she has an inkling that it's about it, but there's that missing connection that is preventing both of them to get to the issue. Randall's attitude about his job interview, for example, was not only dismissive but very pompous. All he was saying was that he wasn't interested in the job interview because he knew it wouldn't give him that spark. But Randall's looking for a spark that has nothing to do with a job, but about William. He's trying to fill this void and not dealing with his root problem.

Also, there's the fact that Randall's a perfectionist so it's all in or nothing. So he won't give things a chance unless he knows it's for him. 

For the record, upon thought, I may not really agree with Beth's "come back to the real world" because his issue goes deeper and needs to be dealt with, but Randall's actions all season have affected their marriage. I'm glad she's not like Rebecca, who smiles and lets her husband's spontaneous decisions affect their marriage until it blows up in one big fight. Plus, Beth was in the middle of working and Randall busted in to talk about his Lover Quest. 

Also, Beth was a stay at home parent for years, so she wasn't complaining about Randall being the stay at home parent as not being in the real world, but more that it simply wasn't him. She knows that Randall is happiest when he has a task, or is involved in something. With Deja gone and them possibly not getting a foster kid for a while, she knew he should get back out there, to keep himself busy in a good way.  I think her intentions were good. 

Really, Kevin's therapist, or some other therapist, needs to sit the two of them down to get them to talk about William. 

• Love 16

All I wanted was for Randall to be at William’s apartment and for Cooney to sneak in to the apartment and that Randall would take him home.  I forgot that one of the girls was allergic but so what, they took in a foster child at the wrong time in the wrong situation.  I just wanted Clooney to get a new home.  He would have been the perfect cat for Randall, a little beat up, little rough around the edges but a fighter. The daughter could’ve taken allergy pills.   I could see Randall picking up a stray and trying to make it a show cat.  In my fantasy, Randall would have a little piece of William and know something that William loved.  That’s why he was looking for the lady.  Bring in a funny way how he was always running to the super to get things fixed. So Randles behind the building and he’s having the idea of having something that his father loved. Still rather him have Clooney.

Edited by Kira53
  • Love 11

The Kate and Madison stuff was fantastic. The Big 3 don't have friends. Neither does Rebecca. At least Jack has Miguel. 

I recall posting something in the first season where Kevin goes all Vanilla Ice and has his own Construction Reality Show called The Big Three. Could still work. 

• Love 5

Aww. I thought for one minute they had forgotten Randall at the mall, then we see the smoke detector with no batteries.

Love Kate and Madison, so different, yet so much alike. It's so painful seeing young Kate with the dresses, so painful.

I loved Kevin talking to Miguel, finally we see, and he sees. Good acting once again from Kevin, young and old...

Randall , can we move on from the apartment and William, although next week they are working on it I believe. I'm sure I caught Kevin, shirtless, looking great...

Best show on TV ( still)

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I don't know.  Maybe she's irritated that he's being too much of a parent.  That's not actually what I want to say.  But, he obviously did that diorama completely by himself.  No way Annie helped him with that.  Of course, it will blow away the completion. Actually, it probably wont', because from what I understand all parents do their kids' projects for them nowadays.  But, maybe Beth would actually like her kids to do their own projects.  

I'll be honest; when I was Annie's age about almost two decades ago, my mom did a lot of my projects for me. I just had no ability to do art projects at all, and it was my mom's way of helping out, though I'm sure my dad probably would have liked to have me do my own projects. So, a very realistic situation, especially for a perfectionist like Randall, to just take over and get the project done for his own benefit, as well as Annie's. 

18 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

She did find a dress in her size-the size 7 fit her well. but it didn't make her happy. (I will say, though, that despite what Kate said in in the present, her teen self was not as thin as present-day Madison, who is very thin.)

Ah! Ok, I definitely misunderstood that particular scene, which means I'll have to go back and watch again. Not that I mind, because I really liked the moment anyway. 

• Love 1