Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

21 minutes ago, Quof said:

If a skater wants to use "Hallelujah", it should be only the original. 

Or Wagner’s Hallelujah chorus. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
I’m joking folks. It would never fly.
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Quof said:

If a skater wants to use "Hallelujah", it should be only the original. 

I think the Jeff Buckley cover is better than the original, but I'm so sick of the song that I think it should be banned, not only from figure skating but from all TV/movie sad montages. Enough.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Or Wagner’s Hallelujah chorus. 

I thought you might mean 'Hallelujah Chorus' from Handel's Messiah, but I checked and found Hallelujah, Amen- by Georg Gottfried Wagner.

The feature I mentioned was not as bad as I feared.  It was nicely done.  The funny thing is my take away from all it was that I must have blocked out the short program costume of Katarina Witt.  Broadway showgirl indeed!

I'm OK with some of the original versions of the Moulin Rouge songs too. "Nature Boy" by Nat King Cole is beautiful - I wish Vincent had just skated to that. Don't see too many skating to the original "Roxanne" though. Probably all the growling in the MR version hides the fact that it's about a hooker.

I'm fine with Zagitova winning over Medvedeva. Zagitova truly embodies the classical, balletic style, while also showing technical mastery of the jumps. The only aspect that rubs me the wrong way is the backloading. She's well within the rules to do so, but it makes it feel like she used a loophole to boost her score beyond what it should have been. I really don't think that the 2 min of skating at the start of her program, with no jumps, is at all equivalent to someone who does at least 2 jumps in the first two min, in terms of tiring out her legs, so it's not within the spirit of the 10% bonus rule. It also makes the program seem like two distinct halves unnaturally squished together, which should be a composition deduction. I also really, really wish that she would stop wearing her tights over her boots the way that she does, since it is extremely ugly and unflattering. Either pull the tights completely over the toe of the boot, or (better yet) tuck the tights into the boots.

But, I also think that Medvedeva's jump technique is inferior and clearly more labored, and her artistry seems to be largely limited to overly dramatic and unnecessary mimicry. Plus, her 9/11 program last year was extremely tasteless, and it's hard to get past that. So overall, I can accept Zagitova as the rightful winner.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

For Canadian viewers, the CBC will be airing the gala tomorrow afternoon.

It is also streaming online on the CBC Olympic site. I couldn't fit it on the site but Googling "CBC Olympics figure skating gala" brings a link up for it. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Brennan used to be a pretty decent skating writer, however, she's  now got a passel o'biases that color her opinions on all parts of the sport. 

Completely agree with you, I used to enjoy Brennan but is super bias now, Phil Hersh is much better. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Twizzles. I’m ready for more twizzles! (I love that word and the ice dancing move). 

1 minute ago, Bama said:

The Shibs were fun and cool and did some badass twizzles.

Lurve the sound of Twizzles (even though candy makes my teeth ache) - but the "Shib Sibs" also make my teeth ache.

I think I'm just over it.

3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Twizzles. I’m ready for more twizzles! (I love that word and the ice dancing move). 

1 minute ago, Bama said:

The Shibs were fun and cool and did some badass twizzles.

Lurve the sound of Twizzles (even though candy makes my teeth ache) - but the "Shib Sibs" also make my teeth ache.

I think I'm just over it.

• Love 3

Just when I was thinking, 'gee, that's a lot of water to leave on the ice for the next performer', out come the Zambonis.

Loved Javier's performance.

Also loved Anna and Luca's. I remember that as a competition number from a couple years back, but it only gets better when not held to the constraints of competition and additional hijinx can be involved.

Edited by dankesean
  • Love 2

As of 8:45 EST, no gala yet on NBC that I've seen. There was speed skating and now they are on to bobsled. I'll keep it on but I'm glad most/all of it will air overnight on NBCSN. I do remember years ago when most of the gala aired on Saturday night on NBC, but that was when we had ladies who placed or won.

15 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

As of 8:45 EST, no gala yet on NBC that I've seen. There was speed skating and now they are on to bobsled. I'll keep it on but I'm glad most/all of it will air overnight on NBCSN. I do remember years ago when most of the gala aired on Saturday night on NBC, but that was when we had ladies who placed or won.

Looks like they also did another interview with Lindsay Vonn.   They always have time for that.  (I fast-forwarded it.  Take that NBC.)

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Bama said:

The South Korean pair who did the routine to K-Pop was super cute.

More of that and Javi and less of the Hallelujah and operatic stuff.

Let loose - have fun!

For instance, you could, say, dress as a spider and shoot webs at the audience.

• Love 1

And NBC is finally showing skating. Starting with the Shibs. This will be heavily edited with them picking and choosing who they show. Hopefully Fernandez makes the cut. I want to see it on a bigger screen. I think we'll see any Americans, probably Canadians, and the ones that caused the most drooling and orgasms (P/C and the two Russian ladies). 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, MaKaM said:

But we get Andrea as our announcer. Why do you hate us NBC?

I'm watching online and it's the Australian lady and guy. On the TV I'm watching Dr. Poi. The gala is going to air on NBCSN overnight and I have that set on the DVR too.

Edited by Jaded
6 minutes ago, sab85 said:

We're finally getting some gala on NBC but just the Shibs so far.

Unfortunately, Scott and Taneth talked through most of the performance so we could not hear the song.....

Why do we even have commentary for the gala - add a ticker with the skaters name and call it a day.

Edited by Quiet1ne
  • Love 8
7 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I think we'll see any Americans, probably Canadians

Entertainment Weekly's website OD'd on V/M this week, so I'm guessing we may see them. No one apparently knows they've been around for years.

2 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Actually, that would be Handel's Hallellujah Chorus.

No, @elle posted a link 2 hours ago near the top of this page with a link. I also said that it wouldn’t work (or Handel’s for that matter). I was being snarky and my humor doesn’t always translate into my words well. Mea culpa. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I'm watching online and it's the Australian lady and guy. On the TV I'm watching Dr. Poi. The gala is going to air on NBCSN overnight and I have that set on the DVR too.

Do you think the NBCSN will show everyone or am I better off streaming the gala?

• Love 1

Annnnd....that's the end of NBC skating for now at least. We saw Shibs, Osmond, and the North Korea pair.

i don't get it...is there actually a crossover audience that wants to watch both skating performances and people bobsledding, all chopped up? Idk, if you've seen one bobsled going down that chute, you've seen them all.

• Love 9
Just now, Mindthinkr said:

No, @elle posted a link 2 hours ago near the top of this page with a link. I also said that it wouldn’t work (or Handel’s for that matter). I was being snarky and my humor doesn’t always translate into my words well. Mea culpa. 

No, I got the joke.  I just thought you were referring to Handel's better-known piece, that's all.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Annnnd....that's the end of NBC skating for now at least. We saw Shibs, Osmond, and the North Korea pair.

i don't get it...is there actually a crossover audience that wants to watch both skating performances and people bobsledding, all chopped up? Idk, if you've seen one bobsled going down that chute, you've seen them all.

I like (used to love) skating but still like seeing the other sports. I'll stream the gala tomorrow during the day or something. This is the end of the Olympics and I like to see a variety of hard-working athletes doing what they've trained for. It would, in fact, be utterly shocking if NBC only showed the Gala and I'll bet never in the history of ever have they done that.

ETA: but the bobsled announcers simply have to stop mentioning Steve Holcomb. I tear up every single damn time.

Edited by MaKaM
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

Evgenia Medvedeva, the 18-year-old two-time defending world champion, is her sport’s best example of a complete skater, a masterful jumper and expressive artist whose programs are built to honor skating as it was meant to be: with all the requisite physical muscle of the toughest triple jumps, but the subtle, well-placed, connective balance of a true performance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/columnist/brennan/2018/02/23/wrong-russian-won-gold-medal-womens-figure-skating-2018-winter-olympics/366111002/

Hahahahahahaha!  Did she not see Medvedeva muscling through those jumps?  Or the Flutz so obvious that even I, who can barely tell one jump from another, could see it without the slow mo?

Oh god, I laughed out loud at that.  Since she's been a fan and a skating writer for so long and knows (I would assume) what constitutes good skating from a technical standpoint, I have to assume she's just being deliberately obtuse to draw a completely bogus connection between Med and Michelle.

lklr5.gif

• Love 2