Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, quarks said:

Hey, that worked out great for Laurel...

.....wait.

hahaha

I do like James though! Just didn't really care for him with Kara. I'm super excited now if he's going to get a mask!

1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

I'm kind of bummed about Jimmy and Kara. Yes I liked seeing a handsome black man dating the white female hero. Sue me :)

They could always go there later. I thought it was a good separation. Nothing drastic happened. Room to revisit later on without it getting nasty.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

They could always go there later. I thought it was a good separation. Nothing drastic happened. Room to revisit later on without it getting nasty.

This is true. I guess I took it as welp we tried and decided friends instead. But you make a good point. I'll hold that to my little Jara shipper heart :)

• Love 1

Why is Jimmy getting a mask? Because a man can't be a side kick to a woman? That's really turning me off wanting to continue with Supergirl. I thought they did okay with Superman showing up, but adding another male mask just looks like they don't trust a girl hero to carry her own show. Is that even in the comics? Or are they throwing a mask on another male character?

I think the Jimmy/Kara situation was another no chemistry thing. They were really boring together. Well I find Jimmy boring in general, I love Kara though. 

• Love 3

Well that's dumb.   Just as dumb as not just giving Dig the Guardian name in the first place. 

I didn't like Kara and Jimmy together, so I'm not bummed but I don't want him a mask.   This is a world with Supergirl, Superman and Martian Manhunter.  I didn't really need another mask, because I don't think that helped Arrow in the least.  

I've already cut the Flash off my viewing list, I'm watching that last episode for Felicity but unfortunately I think I'm gonna to have to put Supergirl on the bubble as well.   The loss of Calista and the turning Jimmy into a vigilante might just be too much for me.  The first premier was great, but only as a continuation of season one.  With all the changes being made its changing into a show that I can just read about. 

Legends is in the safe zone until I figure out this Rip sitch. 

It's horrible that Gotham...GOTHAM is still on my viewing schedule yet these shows might not be. 

• Love 2

It's horrible that Gotham...GOTHAM is still on my viewing schedule yet these shows might not be. 

Gotham is a better show than it gets credit for. 

5 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I think it still might be a series low. It must have been a very weak 1.1. Unrounded preliminary numbers had it at 1.021

First look at James Olsen as Guardian

Snooze. 

4 hours ago, quarks said:

Hey, that worked out great for Laurel...

.....wait.

Well, some have floated the theory that they will kill him off this year, lol. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

If I had to guess at a reason for the drop - since we'll never really know - I'd say it was probably some combination of time travel getting increasingly complicated and useless for the general audience, 

I had to try and explain what the hell happened to my mom. And I don't get it that well either, so..lol

• Love 1

I've already cut the Flash off my viewing list

I struggle to find reasons as to why I still watch this show.  To me, it hasn't been the same after the first 2/3s of the first season.  For the second straight season, the major threat is due to Barry's stupidity and selfishness.  Spending an entire season (two seasons!) putting out the fire you started is not heroic.

Since his friends continue to let him off the hook and enable his actions, I think Oliver and the Legends would be more than justified to kill Barry for the good of everyone.  Just put him down like a dog.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Why is Jimmy getting a mask? Because a man can't be a side kick to a woman? That's really turning me off wanting to continue with Supergirl. I thought they did okay with Superman showing up, but adding another male mask just looks like they don't trust a girl hero to carry her own show. Is that even in the comics? Or are they throwing a mask on another male character?

I think the Jimmy/Kara situation was another no chemistry thing. They were really boring together. Well I find Jimmy boring in general, I love Kara though. 

Honestly in this case I think the producers of these shows are just obsessed with adding more heroes; Arrow is overrun with masks, The Flash seems to be giving half the cast superpowers, and Legends has always been a superhero team up situation. I think Supergirl has done a good job writing for Kara, Alex, and Cat, so I'm willing to see where this goes. I'm not too interested in Jimmy, though.

• Love 1

With these low ratings, I think the DCTV side is making the same mistake the Movie side is. They are catering to the comic book crowd. While forgetting that not a lot of people read comics. They don't let their movies breath and just expect everyone to know the characters and storylines. I think Flashpoint is a mistake, non comic readers don't care that it was big comic Flash storyline. All they saw was a confusing mess where the characters they watched for 2 seasons are now different just because. 

Marvel movies do well because their movies are easy for everyone to understand without having any prior knowledge of the characters. I knew nothing about Ant-Man and didn't bother looking him up because I knew Marvel would tell me all I need to know about him. With the DC movies and shows I do find myself looking up some of the storylines I'm not familiar with just to understand what they are doing, then it's never really explained on screen.  I know Marvel has made some comic book fans mad by not following the comics, but that hasn't hurt them at all because of the small minority that read comics. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, Trini said:

Oh yeah, to me this definitely screamed Marc Guggenheim, because he was also responsible for a) screwing up by casting a white woman as the mother of Oliver's child who clearly would have been Connor if not for the backlash, b) then intro-ing John Jr./Connor in LoT, and c) just being an idiot about race/gender stuff in general. So I blame him first, all of the EPs second. But I "blame" Barry most of all, haha.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 19

I'm actually looking forward to watching LoT tonight. I'm not invested at all, so there's nothing to rage at, the characters I didn't like are gone, and the newbies seem interesting. Plus, it'll be interesting to see if Oliver's cameo amounts to anything.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, benteen said:

I struggle to find reasons as to why I still watch this show.  To me, it hasn't been the same after the first 2/3s of the first season.  For the second straight season, the major threat is due to Barry's stupidity and selfishness.  Spending an entire season (two seasons!) putting out the fire you started is not heroic.

Since his friends continue to let him off the hook and enable his actions, I think Oliver and the Legends would be more than justified to kill Barry for the good of everyone.  Just put him down like a dog.

I'm still watching because for all the rage that Barry's actions induce when I stop to ponder them, I just don't care so deeply about ANY of the characters on that show that I'm outraged enough to quit.

I have a question. Barry started to lose his memories of the original timeline during the Flashpoint. Has he started to lose his memories of both the original timeline and the Flashpoint since he failed at restoring the original? I'm wondering if he too will start to forget how things were originally and only the audience will know how things used to be.

Just watched Legends today and it was soooooooooo good!!!! Sooooooooo much fun! Easily my favourite show and is beating Supergirl and AoS for me!

It's so campy and funny and I love how it's like a cartoon. I just hope Rip comes back soon!

• Love 4

It looks like both Felicity and Oliver were used for the same purpose in their Flash and LoT appearances, namely sounding boards for recaps for those shows. Am I getting this right?

• Love 2

Caught the last 2 minutes of LoT when i tuned in for Supernatural. 

Are they setting up Sara/Ray as a ship because i got that vibe at the end. Also the introduction of JSA was so lame, like unbelievably lame and, those costumes did not look better on screen (compared to the stills).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, bijoux said:

It looks like both Felicity and Oliver were used for the same purpose in their Flash and LoT appearances, namely sounding boards for recaps for those shows. Am I getting this right?

Yup both sounding boards. 

Yes I think they are setting up Ray/Sara. I can't see those two together but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. The feel I get from the show is that anything can happen (hehe they proved that with the scenes of the team scattered in time) so for me the tone of the show gives them a pass to try whatever they like.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

CL's against Ray/Sara, that doesn't mean the writers won't hook them up. They did that with Sara/Oliver with both actors being blindsided by that development. 

Can you imagine Ray trying to propose to Sara (because Ray WANTS to marry badly!) and Sara being all like "What the HELL?"

• Love 4

Arrow boss Marc Guggenheim teases 'most ambitious' crossover yet
BY NATALIE ABRAMS Posted October 13 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/13/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-crossover-spoilers

In the comics, specifically in Invasion!, the Dominators are technologically advanced aliens who form a coalition with various other races to invade Earth and eliminate the threat posed by unpredictable metahumans.

“I will say that their goal is very closely related to what was established in the comics, and it does have to do with metahumans,” Arrow and Legends executive producer Marc Guggenheim told EW on our SiriusXM radio show Superhero Insider. “It’s very, very faithful to the comics.”
The arrival of the Dominators will force the Arrowverse’s superheroes to team up for what Guggenheim calls their “most ambitious” crossover yet. “I think it’s massively different,” he says of the four-way team-up. “The first crossover we did was two separate storylines that had a slight tangential connection to each other. Then last year, the crossover we did was a two-parter that told one complete story with a beginning, middle, and end across Flash and Arrow, but it also had the work of setting up Legends of Tomorrow.”

“This year,” Guggenheim continues, “we’re doing by far the most ambitious crossover we’ve ever done. It’s basically a huge three-part story that also brings in Supergirl, so it’s crossing over all four shows. It’s telling one big epic movie of a story. It’s not setting up any other spin-offs, it’s just big, bombastic, huge action. There’s also some really poignant character moments. There’s a lot of plot lines, particularly I would say in Flash and Legends, that come to fruition in the crossover. It’s by far the most ambitious thing we’ve ever attempted. I want to say it’s by far one of the most ambitious things anyone in network television has ever attempted. It’s completely insane.”

Edited by tv echo

I still haven't seen the LOT premiere because even the idea of Ray and Sara is abhorrent to me. Plus, I'm still upset about Rip. I guess I'll wait a bit to see what happens. Cold's return would certainly bring me back they don't mess it up.

I these ratings hold for the Berlantiverse 

1. Supergirl 1.1 / 3.07

2. The Flash 1.1/2.86?

3. Arrow 0.7/1.95

4. LoT 0.6/1.84

This isn't unusual, same ranking as last year. Although, i think Flash will pull back ahead of Supergirl next week. 

However, not good for Arrow as it's now #4 on the network behind SPN. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
Just now, SonofaBiscuit said:

Wow.  Is Arrow going to be competing with LOT for the #4 slot this season?  Yikes.

No, LoT is a tenth below Arrow and 100k viewers. Even if it adjusted up in demo it would be very unusual to have that big of a bump in viewers.

Not to mention that SPN beat both Arrow and LoT in demo thus becoming the #4 show for the network/week.

• Love 1

This almost sounds like the Legends would know the original timeline and therefore notice all of the changes in the current timeline (btw, remember back when MG kept saying that S4 of Arrow would be lighter?)...

'Legends of Tomorrow’: Marc Guggenheim Teases Lighter, Fun Second Season
Jacob Bryant  OCTOBER 13, 2016 | 01:11PM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/legends-of-tomorrow-season-2-premiere-marc-guggenheim-flash-arrow-1201887944/

“We felt that our concept for last year — with that date with destiny in 2061 where the world is taken over by Vandal Savage, coupled with the death of Rip’s family — cast this pall over the series in a way that prevented our characters from doing what they do best,” says “Legends of Tomorrow” executive producer Marc Guggenheim. “In examining last year, and looking at what worked and what didn’t, we were committed to come up with a conceit that allowed us to have more fun, and feel lighter on it’s feet.”
I’m curious, as protectors of time, are the Legends aware of The Flash mucking around with his timeline and creating Flashpoint?

Not yet. The things that are happening in 2016, in the here and now, aren’t affecting our Legends outside of time. Suffice it to say, the Legends will eventually find out about Flashpoint.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Meanwhile, in DC movie news...

‘Wonder Woman’ Producer, Director Promise Film Will Be More ‘Optimistic’ Than ‘Batman v Superman’
Brent Lang  October 12, 2016
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/wonder-woman-patty-jenkins-batman-v-superman-1201886920/

‘Wonder Woman’ is very different in tone and style than ‘Batman v Superman’ and ‘Suicide Squad,'” said Deborah Snyder, a producer on all of the films. “We pick directors who have their own points of view, so that each of our films will have their own personality.”
There’s a misconception that DC or [parent studio] Warner Bros. has made a conscious decision for all our movies to be darker or edgier,” said Diane Nelson, president of DC Entertainment and resident of Warner Bros. Consumer Products. “That’s not the case. Fans of the DC universe know that there are characters, like Batman, who are darker, but there are others like Wonder Woman, who are hopeful, optimistic leaders, and the tone of this film represents that.
Patty Jenkins, the director of “Wonder Woman,” said that her inspiration for the movie is Richard Donner’s 1978 smash, “Superman,” a rousing, patriotic tale that overflows with star-spangled goodwill.

“‘Superman’ was all about you,” said Jenkins. “It was about you watching and realizing what it would feel like to have great powers and do great things. It was full of love and emotion.”
“Patty brought a beauty and a sense of lightness or humor, and a little romance to it,” said Nelson. “It’s a very aspirational movie.”
“Her armor, the shield, the lasso, and so forth are what you could describe as defensive weapons as opposed to offensive weapons,” said Nelson. “That’s a pretty good way to think about the way she fights. She’s not choosing to fight for the thrill of battle. She’s fighting because she believes in something and she’s quick to put down that sword when the opportunity is there.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Good for Supernatural. I quit watching regularly in S9 but still check in from time to time. I caught the first 30 minutes last night, and yep, they're still my boys. 

I would love to know what or if anything is happening behind the scenes based on this week's Super Flarrowverse numbers. I suspect there are a bunch of conference calls happening. 

• Love 2

I just watched Legends because I haven't been able to sit through a whole episode without fast forwarding since the premier & I'm wondering if they're intentionally making it as silly as possible? I was curious to see what Oliver's role would be and what his connection to Nick Zano's character was... but I could rarely sit through the episode. Legends is that show that I want to like but it mostly makes me cringe, which is sad because I love Victor Garber, Franz, and Nick. Also, I did get the Ray/Sara vibe it was sprinkled throughout the episode.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 4

Maybe if I felt there was more of a connection with the team the silliness wouldn't bother me as much. But they just don't feel connected to me and that has made it hard for me to care about them. I think it would have been nice if they would have spent some time on them while they were scattered, instead of going straight to the rescue. 

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2