Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Damn! What is going on with CW right now? Is taking their shows off Hulu hurting them?

I know most people forget season premiere episodes and try to catch up later when they are reminded their shows are back. So, this might really be part of the problem. 

• Love 1

I was looking at the year-to-year comparisons on Showbuzzdaily.  They only do year-to-year with the unadjusted numbers (demo only), but looking at each night, I thought this was interesting. This is going by the most recent ratings for each night.

Monday: Up 93% over last year.  This is all Supergirl over CEG, 0.9 to 0.3. JtV has stayed at 0.4 despite the change in lead in shows.

Tuesday: Down 32%.  Assuming the 1.0 holds, Flash is down 0.4 from last year at this time, and No Tomorrow is pulling 0.2-0.3 compared to iZombie's 0.5.

Wednesday: Down 42%.  Arrow is down 0.3 from last year, and Frequency is pulling 0.3 to Supernatural's 0.8.

Thursday: Up 27%.  LoT got the same 0.6 Vampire Dairies got last year in that time slot, but Supernatural's 0.8 is an improvement over The Originals' 0.5.

Edited by Starfish35

That is a hit for the Flash since they used to be the highest rated superhero show, now Gotham is beating them. 

Gotham has it's issues but I'm actually interested in what going to happen this season, I can't say the same for the Flash. 

• Love 4

Apparently Flashpoint was originally going to be multiple episodes but then was changed to one episode. Also the Barry/Iris romance will apparently dominate S3 of The Flash (anyone else thinking S3 of Arrow?)...

The Flash EP Todd Helbing On Barry and Iris, Wally and Linda, and Why Flashpoint Was Only One Episode
Russ Burlingame   October 18, 2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/10/18/the-flash-ep-todd-helbing-on-barry-and-iris-wally-and-linda-and-/

"I think anytime you do a story like Flashpoint, something as iconic as that, with the character restrictions that we had, it's going ot be different than everybody expected," executive producer Todd Helbing told ComicBook.com. "I think for us from a story point, when we talked about it originally it was going to be more episodes but what happens more often than not is that when you break the story you find that it would be a lot better and a lot more satisfying if you pulled up a lot of that information and put it in that first episode....It just became a much stronger episode if we just made it one as opposed to four or five, and then we could really kickstart the rest of the season after that. But Flashpoint or not, there are consequences going forward for Barry for what he did and those ripples he's going to explore throughout the third season."
... He also confirmed what seemed obvious from the first couple of episodes: the Barry and Iris romance will dominate a lot of the season.

"A lot of the story is kind of centered and spins off of what's going on with [Barry and Iris.] It's a great love story, and to have that influence this season, I think people are going to love it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

My understanding is that Hulu views didn't count towards the ratings.  Has that changed?  I know that Hulu said that the only shows from the CW that did well were the Flash and Arrow and so I wondered if ending Hulu could hurt their ratings in some way.

I do think their decision to market DCTV as one big universe as opposed to marketing each show individually has hurt them--the press seems to be focused on the big crossover event and nothing else.

• Love 2

I only quoted the Arrow portion, but Flash, Supergirl and LoT are also discussed...

4 Ways The CW’s Superhero Shows Surprised Us This Season
Nick Cannata-Bowman October 19, 2016
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/cws-superhero-shows-surprised-us-season.html/?a=viewall

3. Arrow has finally returned to its early-season form
.  .  .
Arrow has been plagued in recent seasons by clutter. The original CW superhero series stacked its cast with too many competing stories, all of which pulled its central hero, Oliver Queen, in too many directions. Season 5 has greatly simplified the show though, scratching the Green Arrow’s entire team of sidekicks in favor of a new cast of characters. The result has been a streamlined story that revolves primarily around Oliver, with the rest of the cast taking a necessary backseat as tertiary players.

All the while, Season 5’s villain, Prometheus, is shrouded in mystery. We know he has it out for the Green Arrow, and is willing to kill anyone who gets in his way, but past that, his origin is being kept a secret (for now at least). For the first time since the early seasons of Arrow, we’re getting the brutal, exhilarating version of the DC hero that made it such a groundbreaking series in the first place.

Edited by tv echo

If last night's episode is any indication of the Barry and Iris romance, this season is going to be really boring. They even talked about how they don't have anything to talk about unless they are talking about the Flash.

All I'm seeing with their "relationship" is Iris propping up Barry and her waiting around for him whenever he just leaves her places.  That seems like a lot of work for Iris, while Barry gets to run around with his ego inflated to ruin more people's lives by changing things he doesn't like or forcing his views on others. Why doesn't he want Wally to get powers? I know why I don't, because there are 100 million speedsters already. If everyone is special, then no one is special, Flash writers. 

• Love 12
11 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

My understanding is that Hulu views didn't count towards the ratings.  Has that changed?  I know that Hulu said that the only shows from the CW that did well were the Flash and Arrow and so I wondered if ending Hulu could hurt their ratings in some way.

I do think their decision to market DCTV as one big universe as opposed to marketing each show individually has hurt them--the press seems to be focused on the big crossover event and nothing else.

Hulu doesn't count towards ratings. Ending the Hulu contract should not have a negative impact on weekly ratings.

4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

If everyone is special, then no one is special, Flash writers. 

You would think the EP's would have learned that from Arrow.  They undermined Oliver's "5 years in hell" and diminished his skills to make the rest of the team look competent with minimal training.  The Flash seems to be on the a similar story trajectory as Arrow, just with less interesting characters. 

• Love 2

So they erased Sara Diggle for the Wow! factor of a single freakin' episode of The Flash?

No, Arrow erased SD, they got luck with FP which allowed them to erase their "mistake". A girl cant takeover Green Arrow legacy after all.

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

No, Arrow erased SD, they got luck with FP which allowed them to erase their "mistake". A girl cant takeover Green Arrow legacy after all.

It's all on Berlanti in the end. What happened on FP didn't have to affect Arrow. Berlanti isn't the showrunner but surely he approved the FP storyline which was allowed to exist. 

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, DCLeague said:

A) Why not? B) No reason why she couldn't have had a younger brother. It's not like Dig and/or Lyla became infertile after having her.

• Love 10

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

I was being Sarcastic?

No reason why she couldn't have had a younger brother. It's not like Dig and/or Lyla became infertile after having her.

Maybe they didnt want to give Diggle 2 kids or maybe they didnt think of the other possibilities. 

Edited by DCLeague
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

I don't see why a girl couldn't be Green  Arrow, I was actually hopeing the future Arrow would be Sara but nope she was erased.  

DC Comics already did it. Emiko took over the Green Arrow mantel after Oliver disappeared during the Futures End Storyline. Emiko became GA and Naomi became her sidekick/trainee, using Red Dart's tech and code name.

There's no reason they couldn't make Sara GA except they wanted Connor Hawke and used some AU future story to create a John Diggle jr who (for some reason) decided to call himself Connor Hawke and become the new GA.

There's no reason they couldn't give Diggle two kids or twins in order to get that 2046 future except they didn't think it would be an issue, IMO.They probably only thought hey Connor Hawke was a hit, we loved him the fans loved him, let's use Flashpoint to make him part of Arrow's reality.

• Love 10

I really wanted Sara to meet Future Sara Diggle in 2046, they could've had her be IT for Conner Hawke. It would've been nice to see a brother and sister superhero team. Then Oliver can train a new a Team Arrow. But apparently there's a big "NO GirLZ" allowed sign up at the clubhouse. 

• Love 12

That song always gives me Ally McBeal flashbacks. Lol. 

But I love slightly bigger baby Groot. I like the poster too with baby Groot hanging on Starlord's boot. 

guardian2poster.jpg

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 8

In hilarious news:

So last season, Warner Brothers didn't air Arrow S4 here until the full seasons of all the other shows finished airing. This time around they're gonna air all 4 Berlantiverse shows, BUT of course they can't do it right, so Arrow premieres today. Flash premieres tomorrow. Supergirl premieres next Weds AFTER Arrow, and LoT premieres next Thursday BEFORE Flash. So the order when all of them are airing is gonna be Arrow-Supergirl-LoT-Flash.

The crossover is gonna make total sense, I'm telling you. More sense than last year when the Arrow part didn't air until 9 months later. El oh el.

• Love 13
24 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

In hilarious news:

So last season, Warner Brothers didn't air Arrow S4 here until the full seasons of all the other shows finished airing. This time around they're gonna air all 4 Berlantiverse shows, BUT of course they can't do it right, so Arrow premieres today. Flash premieres tomorrow. Supergirl premieres next Weds AFTER Arrow, and LoT premieres next Thursday BEFORE Flash. So the order when all of them are airing is gonna be Arrow-Supergirl-LoT-Flash.

The crossover is gonna make total sense, I'm telling you. More sense than last year when the Arrow part didn't air until 9 months later. El oh el.

(grits teeth) 

Brazil, right?  AKA one of the largest non-U.S./North American markets?

12 minutes ago, quarks said:

(grits teeth) 

Brazil, right?  AKA one of the largest non-U.S./North American markets?

Yup. And I think most of the South [Latin?] American countries that get the Warner Channel as well.

Just now, dtissagirl said:

Yup. And I think most of the South [Latin?] American countries that get the Warner Channel as well.

I swear, U.S. media conglomerates don't just find every potential problem in the South American broadcast and film markets and bury themselves in said problems to their deepest extent, they actively create these problems. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Gotham has it's issues but I'm actually interested in what going to happen this season, I can't say the same for the Flash. 

For all of its issues, Gotham also still manages to find the fun. Gordon pretending to accept Bruce's claim that he (Bruce) isn't into Selina, Alfred not wanting to talk relationships with Bruce, and most anything involving Bullock, Fish, Penguin and Nygma provide enough entertainment to offset the parts of the show that try to be serious. 

Flash keeps forgetting to bring the fun. Supergirl, Gotham, and LOT still bring the fun, which is why I still enjoy them. 

And then there's Lucifer. No comic show is more fun than Lucifer. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

I really need to start watching Lucifer, I hear good things about it all the time, just have to find the time. 

Find the time, I implore you!  I didn't start watching until halfway through the first season, it came on after Gotham and one night I was too lazy to change the channel.   Best tv decision of my life since I decided to keep watching Veronica Mars on accident.  It's funny, serious, campy and emotional all at the same time. 

I love Arrow.  But I'm not thrilled on the edge of my seat and eagerly waiting the next installment.   Lucifer has that.   That and Legends are my must see this season.   I have been waiting on everything else. 

Also, thus far Lucifer has suffered no second season slump that most shows do. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

CWDC

The Flash - 1.0 / 2.665

Supergirl - 0.9 / 2.663

Arrow - 0.6 / 1.79

Where does LoT end up?  Above or below Arrow?

Tied at best but likely below like always.

In Chicago the CW changed to an obscure channel. I wonder if the casual audience realize that or care to look for the new channel? If we're the 3rd largest market that could be affecting the ratings. 

With the Hot Topic jackets. It's interesting that they made a White Canary one. Flash and Arrow I understand. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

CWDC - Barring Adjustments

The Flash - 1.0 / 2.665

Supergirl - 0.9 / 2.663

Arrow - 0.6 / 1.79

LoT - 0.6/1.78

These are also the Top 4 shows for the network this week (so far)

15 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

In Chicago the CW changed to an obscure channel. I wonder if the casual audience realize that or care to look for the new channel? If we're the 3rd largest market that could be affecting the ratings. 

Unlikely