Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Maybe he's "redeemed" in the past, decades before he planned his ultimate nefarious deed.  I mean, it would totally erase all of Arrow S4, meaning that LL didn't die by his hand (but still died, OK?), Felicity wasn't paralyzed, Andy wouldn't have become a bad guy, Diggle wouldn't have killed him and wouldn't have re-enlisted, Star City crime would be more or less normal--so NO boobs, and BMD NEVER happened because DD wouldn't have been in Star City to hold the stupid kid hostage. Furthermore, if BMD NEVER happened, then Mayo would be erased and Olicity would be married by now.

I love a good redemption story.

This was what I was hoping for with Flashpoint... a total erasure of that insultive s4 and I was hoping a little bit of s3 as well. Turns out they had other idiotic thoughts.

• Love 2

Last night Ray said that he designed his suit "so that an idiot could use it."  Other than being the setup for Mick's burn that "an idiot does", I wonder if that may have been in part a response to all the criticism about Felicity flying the suit in the season three finale.

I'm also a little surprised that they blew up the suit after all the talk about how expensive it was.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Starfish35 said:

Last night Ray said that he designed his suit "so that an idiot could use it."  Other than being the setup for Mick's burn that "an idiot does", I wonder if that may have been in part a response to all the criticism about Felicity flying the suit in the season three finale.

I'm also a little surprised that they blew up the suit after all the talk about how expensive it was.

I'm wondering if they took away ATOM's suit for the Citizen Steel CGI. That's got to suck a bit for Routh. I suppose they can give him more character work. 

2 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

Maybe he's "redeemed" in the past, decades before he planned his ultimate nefarious deed.  I mean, it would totally erase all of Arrow S4, meaning that LL didn't die by his hand (but still died, OK?), Felicity wasn't paralyzed, Andy wouldn't have become a bad guy, Diggle wouldn't have killed him and wouldn't have re-enlisted, Star City crime would be more or less normal--so NO boobs, and BMD NEVER happened because DD wouldn't have been in Star City to hold the stupid kid hostage. Furthermore, if BMD NEVER happened, then Mayo would be erased and Olicity would be married by now.

I love a good redemption story.

DD didn't turn Andy. He had been a problem since forever. He still would have been in on bad shit. I guess there's the possibilty he wouldn't have tangled with a 300-year-old megalomanic bad guy and landed in a spot to be killed by his big brother. Also, his absence wouldn't have solved the BDM problem. He didn't cause it, merely brought it into the open.

• Love 3

The 18-34 demo breakdown for superhero shows this week (no data for the Monday shows)

“The Flash” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.8/3
Men 18-34: 0.9/4
Women 18-49: 0.9/3
Men 18-49: 1.2/4

“No Tomorrow” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.3/1
Men 18-34: 0.2/1
Women 18-49: 0.3/1
Men 18-49: 0.2/1

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” (ABC)
Women 18-34: 0.6/2
Men 18-34: 0.6/3
Women 18-49: 0.7/2
Men 18-49: 0.8/3

“Arrow” (CW)
Men 18-34: 0.8/4
Women 18-49: 0.6/2

“Frequency” (CW)
Men 18-34: 0.3/1
Men 18-49: 0.3/1

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

LOT is gonna need to work on that 18-34 demo. 0.3 makes it seems like the most old skewing DCTV show on CW.

I just commented about that on the SPN board. I can't believe 12 year old SPN does better with 18-34 year olds than LoT.

9 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

The 18-34 demo breakdown for superhero shows this week (no data for the Monday shows)

“The Flash” (CW)

“No Tomorrow” (CW)

“Arrow” (CW)
Men 18-49: 0.8/

“Frequency” (CW)

I remember a time when Arrow was nearly 50/50 with men and women.  Seems to me that a larger chunk of their lost viewers are women.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

But when i think what Flash already lost this season:

s3 premiere

“The Flash” (CW)
Women 18-34: 1.0/4
Men 18-34: 1.3/6
Women 18-49: 1.0/4
Men 18-49: 1.5/6

3x02

Women 18-34: 0.6/3
Men 18-34: 1.1/6
Women 18-49: 0.8/3
Men 18-49: 1.3/5

Flash 3x04

Is Frequency considered a superhero show?

25 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

“The Flash” (CW)

“No Tomorrow” (CW)

“Arrow” (CW)

“Frequency” (CW)

30 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I just commented about that on the SPN board. I can't believe 12 year old SPN does better with 18-34 year olds than LoT.

How do these Neilson people know how old people are that sit down and watch the shows whose houses they put their boxes in?

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Time travel thingy. But i heard its a show with consequences aparently.

By that definition SPN should be in that group.They time travel and they have consequences.Weird.  Thanks for answering!

4 hours ago, bijoux said:

DD didn't turn Andy. He had been a problem since forever. He still would have been in on bad shit. I guess there's the possibilty he wouldn't have tangled with a 300-year-old megalomanic bad guy and landed in a spot to be killed by his big brother. Also, his absence wouldn't have solved the BDM problem. He didn't cause it, merely brought it into the open.

Oh, stop it with the facts already! :-)     I just got carried away by wishful thinking and the facts got a little blurry.

• Love 2

I like how the ATONMsuit works fantastic now, it's not weak at all and impossible to destroy.  Because,  obviously,  Ray has been so God like in it before . 

Edited by Delphi

No, it's not at all like someone could just poke it with a sharp sword and make the whole thing blow up or anything.  

At least Ray flat out said he made his suit super easy to operate so even a dude who wouldn't be able to read any of the instructions could still use it.  

• Love 1

I think the new guy on LOT just ousted Curtis as the mary suest mary sue who ever mary sued. His grandfather is a superhero, he had a life-threatening disease that was magically cured by a serum THAT ALSO GAVE HIM SUPERPOWERS three seconds after his narrative started, he just got white-savior status by saving a woman of color from her own life on his very first outing with superpowers... all that's left is the lavender eyes and perfectly curled long hair. I'm expecting those next week.

• Love 20

Agreed @dtissagirl!  His hair is even more "haircut" than Haircut.  I think he's actually trying to step into Ray's shoes so that Ray can be more humble and relatable.  That's who he reminded me of with his hardon for being a hero.

Too bad, because I was actually enjoying the super-competent historian side of him.  It is so much better that the stupid smart science that Ray and Martin spout, since so much of that is hand wavy.

With Curtis, they are doing such a good job making his fighting growth organic and slow that I just wonder why he is in the field in the first place. He should have started working on his T-spheres after the first time.  Maybe that knife to the back was coated with inspiration.

• Love 8

I think this is the thing that frustrates me the most on all Berlantiverse -- instead of giving characters different sets of skills to fulfill different narrative roles, they just turn as many characters as possible into superheroes, so they all have the exact same narrative role in every same episode. It's so fucking stupid.

And watching LOT add a historian and immediately give him superpowers has been particularly funnier while I'm also watching Timeless [favorite new show right there by far], which has the exact same premise -- a team travels through time to different moments in history to stop a supervillain -- and yet that show is making VERY VERY CLEAR that each time-traveler has a very specific set of skills -- a historian, a soldier, and a scientist, and that it is ESSENTIAL to their mission that they can do completely different things from the other.

• Love 17

Mericle Calls Arrow’s 100th Episode a ‘Love Letter to the Show’

Rolls eyes. At least, she said it was a love letter to the show and not the fans. I know the show's love towards itself is pretty dysfunctional so I can appropriately lower my expectations. 

• Love 15

At least it's not a Dear John Letter?

1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

Rolls eyes. At least, she said it was a love letter to the show and not the fans. I know the show's love towards itself is pretty dysfunctional so I can appropriately lower my expectations. 

Totally with you on the rolling of eyes and sub-terrain expectations.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, dtissagirl said:

I think this is the thing that frustrates me the most on all Berlantiverse -- instead of giving characters different sets of skills to fulfill different narrative roles, they just turn as many characters as possible into superheroes, so they all have the exact same narrative role in every same episode. It's so fucking stupid.

And watching LOT add a historian and immediately give him superpowers has been particularly funnier while I'm also watching Timeless [favorite new show right there by far], which has the exact same premise -- a team travels through time to different moments in history to stop a supervillain -- and yet that show is making VERY VERY CLEAR that each time-traveler has a very specific set of skills -- a historian, a soldier, and a scientist, and that it is ESSENTIAL to their mission that they can do completely different things from the other.

And yet why is it that I know I will never be as emotionally invested in the characters on Timeless as I am with everyone in the Arrowverse? I know LoT really isn't a well made show but I find the characters so much more real, even Ray.  It hurts my brain.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

And yet why is it that I know I will never be as emotionally invested in the characters on Timeless as I am with everyone in the Arrowverse? 

No idea, I'm super extremely invested already. It's the magical powers of Abgail Spencer. Or maybe the magical powers of I have loved every Shawn Ryan show ever. But I'm rewatching the episodes on loop and eveything.

The one thing I really like about Timeless is that when they mess with history, we actually get to hear about the constant consequences in the present.  But otherwise so far for me the show feels not that much different than any other procedural kind of cast where we really don't delve too deep into the characters versus how much plot, plot, plot pushes the show.

And that's fine for what it is, but yeah, my emotional investment is only as high as it is (and that's not high) because Moira is her mom.  Otherwise I didn't know her sister so, shrug.  I don't know anything about her previous life before it changed so shrug there again.  And the rest of the crew we haven't even followed home yet.  One has a dead wife. Yawn. One is being forced to record the team's conversations and feels bad.  Eh, don't really care.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1
Just now, dtissagirl said:

LOL, all I need is a 'ship. I have a 'ship, I'm invested.

Who?  I'll be honest, I was briefly tempted by the surprise fiance'.  I know I'm supposed to pick the soldier (see I haven't even learned their names yet, lol) but he's still sooooo hung up on dead wife that I can't see him that way with anyone else except in the most theoretical sense.  

Just now, SmallScreenDiva said:

I may have to try Timeless again. All I remember from the first episode is Patty died :(

Was that Patty?! No wonder I liked her so much.  

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

And yet why is it that I know I will never be as emotionally invested in the characters on Timeless as I am with everyone in the Arrowverse? I know LoT really isn't a well made show but I find the characters so much more real, even Ray.  It hurts my brain.  

Because Timeless sucks balls. Sorry, but it does.

If you want a time travel show with a better take on history (but not time travel itself, sadly), go check El Ministerio Del Tiempo. Trust me, it's awesome. Yeah, it's Spanish history, but Spanish history is pretty great, so why not? It's also likely the basis for Timeless, at least that's a theory which I'm subscribing to.

As for redeeming villains in Flarrowverse, really, Slade was the only one who would make sense. He had an actual legitimate reason to go evil: Mirakuru. Plus he had a long history with Oliver and Sara and an established (and interesting) pre-villanization personality. I actually still suspect it would have happened if not for problems with Manu and his bitterness over Slade's development.

• Love 3

Much diversity in those pics wow! I mean, they all look great but do better, CW. 

33 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

That is so wrong. CP deserves more than what they give her tbh.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 10

An updated demo breakdown, including LOT and SPN for this week:

“The Flash” (CW)

“No Tomorrow” (CW)

“Arrow” (CW)

“Frequency” (CW)

“D.C.’s Legends of Tomorrow” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.2/1
Men 18-34: 0.4/2
Women 18-49: 0.4/2
Men 18-49: 0.7/3

“Supernatural” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.5/2
Men 18-34: 0.5/2
Men 18-49: 0.6/2

• Love 2
7 hours ago, calliope1975 said:

That explains what seems to be the emphasis on story arcs I don't care about, and the lack of ones I do.

5 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I tried because I wanted to love it but I couldn't get into Timeless.  The only character I was interested in was Flynn and there's barely any of him on it, and while I like Rufus, I'm not really interested the historian and the soldier and the show is not subtle about yelling Love Interest! in my face.  My eyes glazed over during the Kennedy episode and I hoped they weren't going to do Hitler because it was too obvious but they did. Different strokes, because I love LoT.

• Love 2

Man, do I love Luke Cage. IMO, it's one of my faves of all the comic book shows. IMO it's better paced than Daredevil and not quite as good as Jennifer Jones. I was legitimately surprised by certain events and said "Holy shit" a few times. I felt a modicum of sympathy for  Cottonmouth given his upbringing.  The acting from the whole cast is terrific especially Alfre Woodard. And Rosario Dawson shown here unlike in Daredevil, IMO. 

Plus Mike Colter is so damn handsome.

• Love 3

I have disliked Abigail Spencer since Suits and she will forever be Scottie for me. He knitted eyebrow school of acting continued in Timeless and it takes me away from the story. All I can see are veins on her forehead and knitted eyebrows ... 

• Love 1

Video clips from EW Popfest panel on Oct. 29 (spoilery)...

EW POPFEST THE SUPERHERO PANEL CAITY LOTZ GRANT GUSTIN, STEPHEN AMELL AND MELSSIA BENIOST
Published on Oct 30, 2016, by prince mojo

LIVE Cw Superheroes D.C. Ew Popfestv Panel ARROW, THE FLASH AND SUPERGIRL
Published on Oct 30, 2016, by prince mojo

EW Popfest - Arrowverse Panel w/ Caity Lotz, Grant Gustin, Melissa Benoist, Stephen Amell and Greg
Published on Oct 30, 2016, by Steam Pug

-- On whether he prefers Arrow or Green Arrow, SA: "You know, I've actually got the chance recently to play that sort of earlier version of the character that we saw in, you know, in the earlier seasons. And I gotta say, I kinda miss that guy. You know what I mean? And I feel like that version of the character was very two-dimensional. And then the counterpoint to that character was a little two-dimensional. Killing. Not killing. No in-between. So I like - I like the version we have now, because he just seems more three-dimensional and more, like, dealing with the situation as it comes up. But, um, I feel like there's an opportunity - and again, this is a very important year for us because the show was conceived as a five-year show and, you know, I'd like to think and hope, and with the support of everyone here, that we would keep going, but... but there is an endpoint this year that we can only do in the fifth season and I hope we do it."

-- On how happy will he be not to wear that wig, SA: "I think about it every day."

-- On when is Olicity getting back together, SA: "I don't know. I just read the scripts." GBerlanti: "I'm not sure - I can't say anything about that... Obviously, they work together every week, right? And they're very close. And, uh, I can't imagine anyone that would ever be in either of their lives that would replace the other person." SA: "Yeah, we haven't really discussed, like, our relationship yet this season. But we do discuss - um, Oliver and Felicity discuss a little bit about the relationship and, you know, where it is in this week's episode. Fun scenes."

-- On GG's audition for The Flash, GG said that his audition was a six-week process, initially with David Rapaport, then director David Nutter was brought in, then Greg Berlanti and Andrew Kreisberg, and then multiple screen tests including one screen test with EBR on the Mentalist set at Warner Bros.

-- On CL's audition for Arrow, CL said that she did a chem test with SA.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Chaser said:

I agree that Candice deserves better but I'm honestly not sure what narrative purpose Iris could serve in this one. 

Sigh. I see your point, I really do, but that's the ongoing issue with Iris - she needs to be given a role beyond "love interest." I'm not saying "superpowers," necessarily, but, you know, she's a reporter. Play up that aspect. Aliens are invading. This is news! Or have Thea call her because they need some puff pieces for Oliver after the negative stuff from the reporter on Arrow a couple of episodes ago, and Thea needs some PR help/advice for managing the press. 

• Love 16