Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I miss Snart, never really cared for Rip and his absence made Sara the leader so I'm happy about that. CL's fight scenes in the last episode of LoT were amazing. 

It's funny that the Flash angered me last season and is boring me this season. While I found Supergirl really cheesy last season but am loving it so far this season. I know the Aliens everywhere appears to be a retcon, it does change the story and make their world bigger. The only thing I don't like is Cat being gone. 

• Love 3

I feel somewhat similarly.  I actually do miss Rip more than I thought I would, because I wasn't his biggest fan last year.  But I'm really enjoying Sara as the leader so that helps.  Snart's absence is really felt, though, because new guy is too boring to make a good replacement.  On the up side though, no more Savage and Hawks!

And I too am enjoying Supergirl more than last year.  They're gotten rid of some of the super-cheesiness that irritated me last year.   I do miss Max Lord and Cat, especially Cat.  All of the CatCo stuff just feels like filler with her not there.  But I'm enjoying the rest of it, and the new characters so far.  

Flash and Arrow both got dropped this year, so I can't really comment on them.  Arrow I may binge-watch on Netflix next summer, depending on how this season turns out.  I just no longer have the patience to do the week-to-week thing with it.  Flash, probably not.  

• Love 3

I dropped Flash halfway through the premier.  Supergirl got dropped after the second episode.  Cat Grant in the end was a deal breaker for me. 

I'm still watching Arrow, but not live anymore. 

So far I'm sticking with LoT for Sara,  but I miss Cold and Rip a lot,  so I'm not sure how long I'll make it. 

It's sad,  but I'm kind of grateful because now I have a pretty normal tv watching schedule now,  which is a relief. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Completely shallow but I'm swooning over the new Director on Shield!

Jason O'Mara?  He is quite cute (and he's Irish, which I didn't realize until after I saw him on Life on Mars)...loved him in Berkeley Square and a few other things, but beware!  He's a show killer!  Poor guy seems to have such bad luck with the roles he chooses, ha.

• Love 1

Again I think DC needs to take some notes from Marvel. Their marketing for the Defenders series is "Those who surround us, define us" with small promos of the each of the supporting cast across all 4 shows. 

Trish, Claire, Stick

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793814947301986304

Hogarth, Foggy, Malcolm

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793452570459054082

Karen and Misty Knight

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793090985123127296

Colleen Wing from Iron Fist

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/794177340657930241

• Love 5

If I were in a laughing mood, I'd LOL...

Superhero TV Maven Greg Berlanti Says Arrow Has As Much Hope and Optimism As Other DC Shows
Russ Burlingame- 11/02/2016
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/11/02/superhero-tv-maven-greg-berlanti-says-arrow-has-as-much-hope-and/

Among DC's superhero TV series on The CW, Arrow has a not-entirely-unearned reputation as the "dark," "angry" one -- but executive producer Greg Berlanti, who also oversees The Flash, Supergirl, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow on the network, says that fans and critics sometimes make that generalization too broadly.

Inspired by filmmaker Christopher Nolan's acclaimed Dark Knight Trilogy, which reinvented the cinematic Batman as a kind of urban samurai, Arrow has never shied away from gritty violence, consequences, and other storytelling tools that often feel out of place in the technicolor world of many superhero adaptations.

And while the show created a template for successful post-Smallville comics adaptations on television that has been imitated by DC and abroad, the grit and gloom of Arrow are sometimes cited as a reason it doesn't have the same kind of phenomenal mainstream ratings success that The Flash does.

Berlanti disagrees.

"In some ways, there can be some episodes of Arrow that can be just as optimistic in their own way, especially given the perils that they're up against," Berlanti told ComicBook.com during a recent event celebrating the hundredth episode of Arrow. "It's definitely a darker-toned show in a lot of regards, but it's always the relationships and those are just as emotional and deep and fun."
Berlanti further said that making sure the worlds of the shows gel -- particularly when it comes time for things like December's four-show crossover -- is one of the most fun, but "also probably one of the most challenging parts" of the process.

He added, "I remember in the pilot to The Flash, Arrow being in the scene and thinking, 'Is this going ot make both shows feel smaller or bigger?' And sort of like the comic books, it made them both feel a little bigger."

And when the always-brooding Oliver Queen broke into a smile and moved light on his feet in the pilot for The Flash, Berlanti says all of the credit goes to Arrow's own Stephen Amell.

"He played it that way. That was his own brilliance," Berlanti said.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Invasion: previewing The Flash, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends Of Tomorrow Crossover
Ed Gross  Nov. 2, 2016
http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/invasion-previewing-flash-arrow-supergirl-legends-tomorrow-crossover/

The umbrella title of the storyline is "Invasion," and it's based on a 1988 DC Comics three-issue event. In it, an alien alliance known as the Dominators have come to Earth to absorb the power of all meta-humans so that it can be utilized in the creation of their own army of meta-soldiers. The heroes of Earth, naturally, aren't having any part of it, and they team up to fight off these power-sucking parasites.
Stephen Amell (actor, "Oliver Queen/Green Arrow"): It was really cool. We had our individual scenes, but then we had scenes where we're twenty superheroes there in this big airplane hangar. It looked like and felt like, and I think that the fans will feel [this way], this is a big three or four-hour movie that we're putting on. It's really cool.

Aaron Helbing (executive producer, The Flash): The challenges of the crossover are the best problems to have. How often do you get to tell these stories across three to four nights of television? That's a very rare thing, and I think we were all excited and honored that we get to do that, and that people really want to see all of the shows and how they're interconnected.
Melissa Benoist (actress, "Kara Danvers/Supergirl"): I think Kara just wants to be accepted and be part of the cool kids. I felt the same way. It was so fun to just be in this big group setting, where it's just this infectious environment where it all felt really good. She had good interactions with almost everyone there.

Grant Gustin (actor, "Barry Allen/The Flash"): Last year we had the Flash and Arrow crossover, but this is a lot bigger. We have seventeen characters in multiple scenes and almost everyone interacts with every other character at a certain point. It's huge.
Phil Klemmer (executive producer, DC's Legends of Tomorrow): Getting the script written felt like a small miracle unto itself. It's the sort of thing you're grateful for when it's done, or maybe on my deathbed. Seriously, looking down the barrel of it, it is really amazing. It's incredible that we get the opportunity to do this. We're already afforded such incredible liberty with what we do. The ideas that we've run past the studio and the network that they don't blink their eye at.. There's really no idea that's too insane. I think everybody's just been so desensitized to it all. You hand them a script and they're, like, "All right, there's Flash, there's Supergirl, there's Oliver, there's twenty-eight other Legends and bad guys, and we're going to travel through time..." They don't even blink at it.
Greg Berlanti (executive producer, all four series): We're very excited for everybody to see it. They all have their own continuing storylines through it, but it really does very much feel like in the middle of the whole season a three-hour movie. It starts a little bit at the tail end of Supergirl, because, for those of you who watch, she's in a whole other universe and on a whole other planet. There's someone having to get her. Then it really begins the night of The Flash and continues through the others. The complex that they talked about shooting in is a fun little thing. We found an exterior that we cut out to be the building, and it looks a lot like the Hall Of Justice. We like that.

Wendy Mericle (executive producer, Arrow): Being a part of the crossover was tricky given the sort of gritty and more rooted tone we've taken this season, but we knew it was something we would be facing. At the same time, I have to say we're really excited about this crossover, which also happens to be our hundredth episode. We wanted it to feel not like something that's part of this bigger universe, even though it is and we do want to honor that part of it. Arrow was the first and we in many ways are responsible for this universe, but we wanted it to feel like the hundredth episode and very true to Arrow. I have to say we came up with a way that we're really excited about.
Amell: I'm incredibly grateful for everything that Greg, Andrew Kresiberg, Marc Guggenheim and Wendy have done and created. I know some fans were, like, "Will we get enough Arrow during the one-hundredth episode?" To me, the hundredth episode basically had to be a crossover, because it's emblematic of everything that we've been able to create, foster and help grow. Obviously all of these shows stand on their own. The crossover and aliens, watching Oliver react to aliens, is one of my favorite things that I've ever gotten to do. It gives us a chance to do something for the hundredth episode for the fans that in the normal course of our season, we would never be able to get to do. For that, I was very grateful. To work with all the people that I got to work with or hadn't worked with for a very long time on the hundredth episode, I was very grateful.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, calliope1975 said:

I feel like GB only pays attention to Arrow when a crossover is involved. 

I feel like GB only pays attention to Arrow when he is directly asked a question about it in an interview. With direct deposit, he probably doesn't even need to cash the Arrow checks anymore. And his team probably handles the Network and WB/DC. He probably needs his assistant to remind him what/who Arrow is.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

New Wonder Woman trailer.

Looks really good. I hope thats not a bad sign. Too often a good trailer is leading to bad movies these days.

A little fisticuffs... so adorably funny.

I'm really enjoying Julian on the Flash. He makes a good counterbalance and sparring partner with BA. And I love Tom Felton's delivery. At times, he reminds me of Draco, but all the things I loved about Draco that I think made him a relatable badguy.

I hope Flash does not go cliche and make Julian Alchemy. Nevermind, they've played that move multiple times. I actually think Wally might be Alchemy. Which would be another misstep for the writers.

And to keep with the new parameters of this thread - I think Flash is handling Flashpoint better than Arrow. I also happen to like the new characters & developments on Flash. I find them interesting. The only thing interesting about the new characters and developments on Arrow is wondering when they will be dead or pushed into the background.

It takes a lot for me to praise Flash over Arrow. A LOT, but at the end of the day I have to give credit where credit is do. Flash seems to be doing better this week. And as much as I want BA to face the consequences of his actions. It seems at least one good thing came out of FP, we got Julian.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, SonofaBiscuit said:

Jason O'Mara?  He is quite cute (and he's Irish, which I didn't realize until after I saw him on Life on Mars)...loved him in Berkeley Square and a few other things, but beware!  He's a show killer!  Poor guy seems to have such bad luck with the roles he chooses, ha.

Yes him! He's not usually the type I like but I'm fully in swoon mode whenever I see him on Shield! Haha giggling now as I type! 

This weeks demo breakdown for supehero shows so far:

Tuesday and Wednesday may be majorly affected by World Series.

“Gotham” (Fox)
Women 18-34: 0.6/3
Men 18-34: 0.7/4
Women 18-49: 0.9/3
Men 18-49: 1.1/4

“Lucifer” (Fox)
Women 18-34: 0.6/2
Men 18-34: 0.5/2
Women 18-49: 1.0/3
Men 18-49: 0.9/3

“Supergirl” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.4/2
Men 18-34: 0.4/2
Women 18-49: 0.6/3
Men 18-49: 0.7/3

“The Flash” (CW)
Men 18-34: 0.9/4
Women 18-49: 0.8/3
Men 18-49: 1.2/4

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” (ABC)
Women 18-34: 0.5/2
Women 18-49: 0.7/2
Men 18-49: 0.8/3

“Arrow” (CW)

Women 18-49: 0.5/2
Men 18-49: 0.7/2

“Frequency” (CW)
Women 18-34: 0.2/1
Men 18-34: 0.2/1
Women 18-49: 0.3/1
Men 18-49: 0.3/1

Edited by Velocity23

So they basically changed Laurel into Sara. That's probably what they tried to do on the show and failed. Why not do it in that medium since BC can be animated to do whatever they need her to do. 

• Love 3

I can't believe I just watched a Legends of Tomorrow episode which

1. made me cry, and
  2. was better than anything Arrow came up with this season.

It's the first time I really liked Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Vixen, and Nate wasn't annoying either. Even Ray didn't piss me off. What. Is. Happening?

P.S. Can the team come to Central City and unfuck Flashpoint? Please?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, arjumand said:

Maisie Richardson-Sellers

Last night, CL tagged Maisie Williams in a tweet about LOT, and I was super confused. This makes way more sense. I don't really watch LOT regularly, but I was 1000% sure that Arya Stark had not made an appearance. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Last night, CL tagged Maisie Williams in a tweet about LOT, and I was super confused. This makes way more sense. I don't really watch LOT regularly, but I was 1000% sure that Arya Stark had not made an appearance. 

Lol! Oh Caity! All I did was check on wikipedia for the current cast list!

11 minutes ago, arjumand said:

I can't believe I just watched a Legends of Tomorrow episode which

1. made me cry, and
  2. was better than anything Arrow came up with this season.

It's the first time I really liked Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Vixen, and Nate wasn't annoying either. Even Ray didn't piss me off. What. Is. Happening?

Eh, I liked the previous episode more than this one, personally. I thought that one was the most entertaining episode of that week in the Arrowverse (vs. 504 of Arrow, 304 of Flash, and 203 of Supergirl). Can I ask which part made you cry? Because most of the episode for me was just kind of pushy in the "SLAVERY WAS BAD YOU GUYS" message within the A-plot, and I kind of just focused on the other sub-plots instead.

I do have to say that I've also enjoyed Ray a lot more this season so far and really like his relationship with Mick. It's like the first time ever that I've been excited for something for Ray, and idek where that excitement is coming from.

• Love 1

Oddly, while Ray did not work at all with Felicity, he works really well playing against characters like Mick and Snart.  I think we saw a little bit of that in Broken Arrow when he was playing against GrumpyCat!Oliver.  

(This is all IMO of course - your mileage may vary.)

LoT and SPN did not change in the finals.

http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-150-thursday-cable-originals-network-finals-11-3-2016.html

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Oddly, while Ray did not work at all with Felicity, he works really well playing against characters like Mick and Snart.  I think we saw a little bit of that in Broken Arrow when he was playing against GrumpyCat!Oliver.  

I did like their scene in that flashback in LoT, kind of a like the Curtis/Felicity friendship but a bit more toned down in a good way, but definitely agree with you here. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Imo Routh only has on screen chemistry with men, never ever ever with women.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Also, cats! BR was pretty adorable as a fireman who takes in a stray cat in that Lifetime Christmas movie my Mom was watching last year (okay, fine, it was actually me binge-watching Lifetime holiday flicks on a lazy weekend).

• Love 15
41 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Indeed.   I want Ray and Snart to hook up way more than I ever wanted Ray and Felicity. 

Was the cat in question a male?

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Indeed.   I want Ray and Snart to hook up way more than I ever wanted Ray and Felicity. 

Was the cat in question a male?

Haha I could see that.  I've always wanted a Sara/Felicity fling (only a fun fling tho I'm Olicity all the way) but the show never gives me what I want lol.

ETA: except 3x20, that I wanted  ;)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

(This is all IMO of course - your mileage may vary.)

I'm one of the handful of people on this board who thought Ray worked well with Felicity -- minus how they wrote stalker Ray. Still chuckle over the helicopter scene. I actually wouldn't mind seeing BR/EBR in a full-on romcom. But that's just me. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, tarotx said:

Vixen with Felicity and umm "Laurel Lance" (with Sara's weapon and skill set?). 

I don' think I noticed how how distinctivve EBR's voice is before. It really works well in animation, she doesn't blend in vocally.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I'm one of the handful of people on this board who thought Ray worked well with Felicity -- minus how they wrote stalker Ray. Still chuckle over the helicopter scene. I actually wouldn't mind seeing BR/EBR in a full-on romcom. But that's just me. 

Me too!!! Me too!!!! And my husband!

I thought they were adorable together which is why I am so upset about the crappy LI this season! I feel like it's a downgrade for my favourite character. Sure she was on Palmer Island in season 3 but Palmer Island was perky and fun and I enjoyed watching it.  I felt like Felicity and Ray had a lot in common and I could imagine them geeking out over a project. *sigh* The good old days. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don' think I noticed how how distinctivve EBR's voice is before. It really works well in animation, she doesn't blend in vocally.

When she's on the coms, her voice is distinct so it's not shocking that it is also so in the cartoon. It's not super easy to be natural when voice acting though. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

So they basically changed Laurel into Sara. That's probably what they tried to do on the show and failed. Why not do it in that medium since BC can be animated to do whatever they need her to do. 

Having her use a staff isn't changing her into Sara. 

13 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Having her use a staff isn't changing her into Sara. 

It would've been nice if they'd kept to the weapon we saw her use on the show, since IIRC, the only time she tried to use a bo staff she was terrible at it and we never saw her improve. I guess they didn't want to give her the tonfa because it would've been too much black in the animation or something. 

• Love 1
Just now, apinknightmare said:

It would've been nice if they'd kept to the weapon we saw her use on the show, since IIRC, the only time she tried to use a bo staff she was terrible at it and we never saw her improve. I guess they didn't want to give her the tonfa because it would've been too much black in the animation or something. 

Totally. If anything just give her some silver tonfas, but of course they are able to somewhat see the problem they had by going overboard with all the black on Arrow now that everything is said and done.

This weeks demo breakdown for supehero shows

Tuesday and Wednesday may be majorly affected by World Series.

“Gotham” (Fox)
Women 18-34: 0.6/3
Men 18-34: 0.7/4
Women 18-49: 0.9/3
Men 18-49: 1.1/4

“Lucifer” (Fox)
Women 18-49: 1.0/3
Men 18-49: 0.9/3

“Supergirl” (CW)