Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

45 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Didn't they Supergirl get a 0.6 last week? Well I guess that ratings dip could be blamed on Halloween. 

Last week's 0.6 was most definitely because of Halloween.  This week's ratings are a surprise, I expected it to bounce back to the 0.9 that it had prior to Halloween

Edited by Morrigan2575

Excuse my ignorance in this matter, I don't really understand this whole rating system for CW, but does CW really care for ratings? What is important for them?What would trigger some kind of response and what would that response be? Personally, the only time I feared for some show ratings was when Fringe was on TV, and they had battle for last season.  

I think Supergirl is just not a show many people care to watch live and it's on a competitive night. Honestly, it will probably make up for it in streaming. It's a decent show, but I'm never eager to see what is going to happen or what just happened. It doesn't build momentum or anticipation. It's not appointment TV. It's curled up on a rainy day catch-up TV.

And I don't think CW cares a lot about ratings, so long as they make it up in streaming or other revenues like dvd/merch. Ratings is only one of the factors in their equation for renewals & budgets. Pedowitz (president of CW), I believe has gone on record that the CW looks at ratings & renewals differently.

What I do think they will look at closely is if DCTV shows in general are trending down, then perhaps there is an oversaturation or need to change things up. I don't think fans of the shows have to be concerned about renewals. IMO, LoT is the only one on the bubble and even that will probably renew with a short season. But I do think creatives have to be worried, because ratings are connected to revenue, so if the network sees a trend downward budgets & jobs could be on the line.

• Love 3

Can someone explain to me how the crossover scheduling is supposed to work? Because right now I'm confused. Supergirl and LoT started a week later than Flash and Arrow. But Flash aired a rerun tonight, so next week (the week before Thanksgiving) every show except Arrow is airing their 6th episode (Arrow is airing 5x07). However, I'm assuming Arrow is going with a rerun during the week of Thanksgiving, so that would put it in line with the other shows -- except LoT. Is Legends airing a new episode on Thanksgiving night? 'Cause that's the only way I see it airing its 7th episode before the crossover week. (Unless I'm badly mistsken about the crossover week is exactly.) It just seems odd to throw out a new DCTV episode on the night of a major holiday when they're (apparently) going with a rerun the night before. Am I thinking about this right?

4 hours ago, RandomMe said:

Can someone explain to me how the crossover scheduling is supposed to work? Because right now I'm confused. Supergirl and LoT started a week later than Flash and Arrow. But Flash aired a rerun tonight, so next week (the week before Thanksgiving) every show except Arrow is airing their 6th episode (Arrow is airing 5x07). However, I'm assuming Arrow is going with a rerun during the week of Thanksgiving, so that would put it in line with the other shows -- except LoT. Is Legends airing a new episode on Thanksgiving night? 'Cause that's the only way I see it airing its 7th episode before the crossover week. (Unless I'm badly mistsken about the crossover week is exactly.) It just seems odd to throw out a new DCTV episode on the night of a major holiday when they're (apparently) going with a rerun the night before. Am I thinking about this right?

Supergirl airs 208 on 11/28 (it will air 9 Straight episodes before going on winter break)

Flash airs 308 on 11/29 (no episode last night) airs new episode Thanksgiving week)

Arrow airs 508 on 11/30 (airs 506 tonight, no episode before Thanksgiving)

LoT airs 207 on 12/01 (airs 205 tomorrow, no episode on Thanksgiving)

Crossover episodes are 208, 308, 508, 207

• Love 3
20 hours ago, wonderwall said:

JTV has been doing increasingly well which is surprising!

I thought that was the case, but I didn't bother going back to check since I stopped watching sometime in early season 2. Good for them.

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Supergirl airs 208 on 11/28 (it will air 9 Straight episodes before going on winter break)

Flash airs 308 on 11/29 (no episode last night) airs new episode Thanksgiving week)

Arrow airs 508 on 11/30 (airs 506 tonight, no episode before Thanksgiving)

LoT airs 207 on 12/01 (airs 205 tomorrow, no episode on Thanksgiving)

Crossover episodes are 208, 308, 508, 207

Thanks @Morrigan2575 for clearing that up for me. Berlanti et. al. made such a big deal about the crossovers being on the 8th episode of the season I thought the crossover episodes were actually the 8th episode across the board. ("So tell me again why Arrow's 100th episode had to be part of the big crossover, instead of a truly Arrow-focused episode? Never mind, I think I know the answer.")

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mtlchick said:

WHEEEE!!!!

From the above-linked EW article...

On an early October afternoon, the casts of The CW’s “Arrowverse” serials gathered in an airport hangar on the outskirts of Vancouver B.C. for a historic event. From Arrow, there was Stephen Amell (Oliver Queen, aka the show’s emerald archer), David Ramsey (Diggle/Spartan), Willa Holland (Thea Queen/Speedy) and Emily Bett Rickards (Felicity Smoak). From The Flash, there was Grant Gustin (Barry Allen, aka the show’s scarlet speedster), Candice Patton (Iris West), Tom Cavanagh (H.R. Wells), Danielle Panabaker (Dr. Caitlin Snow) and Carlos Valdes (Cisco/Vibe). From Legends of Tomorrow, there was Brandon Routh (Ray Palmer/The Atom), Caity Lotz (Sara Lance/White Canary), Dominic Purcell (Mick Rory/Heat Wave), Franz Drameh (Jax, one half of Firestorm), Victor Garber (Dr. Martin Stein, the other half of Firestorm). And from Supergirl, there was the maiden of might herself, Melissa Benoist, the only actor dressed in their caped crusader colors. (Must be dry cleaning day at the Hall of Justice.)

... The occasion of this massive team-up: filming a four-show crossover event, which begins in the final scene of the Nov. 28 episode of Supergirl and unfolds over the next three nights in episodes of The Flash, Arrow and Legends. Entertainment Weekly visited the set of the massive undertaking and brings you a report in our new issue, on sale this week. We got to see Supergirl fly, The Flash and Cisco tear a hole in the fabric of space-time (or pretend to), and even saw someone get shot. No, we can’t tell you who, but we can tell you the threat that set the sprawling plot in motion: The Dominators, mind-controlling extraterrestrials threatened by Earth’s surging population of metahumans. If you’re wondering if “mind-control” = “we’re totally going to see these superheroes fight each other,” then you’re absolutely [REDACTED].

Edited by tv echo
EW has corrected spelling of EBR's name.
  • Love 3

Aww, Barry+Kara are still totes adorbs! I hope we get a lot of Barry/Oliver (Grant/Stephen) scenes in the crossovers because they play off each other so well.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

LOL Emily BRETT Rickards. 

I just checked the EW article link - they have corrected the spelling of EBR's name (so I corrected it in the quote above).  Someone must have notified them of the mistake.

• Love 3

I'm happy for LoT. This season so far has been a vast improvement over last season. While I can take or leave Nate, he hasn't really hurt the show like the Hawks and Savage. And Vixen is way better than Kendra. 

• Love 9

They probably did. CW really didn't have a choice, they had 5 slots to fill and only 4 shows lined up for mid-season. If either if the pilots succeeded they would have given them the extra episode order.

Edited by Morrigan2575
12 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Good for them. Wonder why they dont just commit to a full 22, seems useless to put something in its place for like 5 weeks.

I'm going to guess that they have a busy winter/spring lineup with midseason shows coming back, and 17 episodes can tell a more concise story. I'm happy with 17. Their 16 episode first season worked well and I'd rather they told good stories than have to throw in three or four filler episodes.

• Love 2

I'll ignore Flash for this week since it's in Repeats.

Supergirl - 0.7 / 2.47

Arrow - 0.7 / 1.96 (if it holds)

LoT - ??

Kind of sad when you see Supergirl pulling the same demo as a ratings damaged Arrow.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Pumped for the expanded LoT season. They deserve the expanded season. I'm on the board of less is more sometimes. Although a full 22 season would be fun and welcome. I think a 17 episode provides for a tighter story. I don't think the set-up of the show lends itself to filler episodes.

I also think it bodes well for renewal. I do think the CW has really full spring season, so I can see how there might not be enough room to do an extra 5 episodes.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'll ignore Flash for this week since it's in Repeats.

Supergirl - 0.7 / 2.47

Arrow - 0.7 / 1.96 (if it holds)

LoT - ??

Kind of sad when you see Supergirl pulling the same demo as a ratings damaged Arrow.

Supergirl is also doing worse in the 18-34 demo (0.4 vs 0.5), but better in the 25-54 demo (0.9 vs 0.8).  One would think Supergirl would skew younger than Arrow, but apparently not.

1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Agree, I think we'll see SG get a new night by next season, if not in the spring. Now that they pulled whatever audience they could from CBS, they can probably move the night. It made sense to keep it same time/same day, so people could find it. But Monday has too much competition. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see it take over LoT Thursday slot when it finishes up.

2 minutes ago, kismet said:

Agree, I think we'll see SG get a new night by next season, if not in the spring. 

Oh I highly doubt that.  It's certainly not doing what they hoped - that's for sure.  But if they kept CEG in that slot for most of last year when it was pulling 0.2s and 0.3s, they're not going to move Supergirl for pulling 0.7s.  It may not be doing what they hoped, but they don't have anything right now that can do any better, unless they want to gamble on Riverdale, which I doubt.  (And they're not going to move Flash.)

• Love 2

I dont think LOT will get a full season pickup as long as it airs on Thursdays (its a really important nite for advertisers). The cost and the ratings just dont justify a whole season. I am guessing LOT is gonna be airing while the rest of DCTV goes on a break so they can premiere a new show in the time slot in March.

They're probably going to put Riverdale in that spot, if I was to guess.  Or iZombie, and put Riverdale behind Flash.  The 100 will probably go back to its normal spot behind Arrow.  And The Originals will take CEG's spot after TVD.

I haven't watched either one.  I was just thinking that if they wanted to give Riverdale their best lead-in, they'd put it behind The Flash, which would mean iZombie would have to go somewhere else.  And replacing LoT with iZombie would allow them to keep their four-nights-a-week comic book programming, even though iZombie isn't part of the Arrowverse.

Edited by Starfish35

5 Slots to fill, 4 Mid-Season shows, The Originals, The 100, iZombie and Riverdale

Monday - 9PM 

Tuesday - 9PM

Wednesday - 9PM

Thursday - 8PM ( LoT extended order to 17)

Friday - 8PM (The Originals replaces The Vampire Diaries)

I'm thinking Riverdale goes to Monday or Tuesday (iZombie goes to the other slot) and The 100 goes back to post Arrow

So Jane the Virgin only got a half of a season? I really thought it got a full season.

I really think Riverdale is going to get a Flash lead in. IDK, the CW will likely put together something that makes no sense and yet sense at the same time. It would be nice if they put something I want to watch on Weds at 9p, since I believe Empire will be going into hiatus for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

They did renew Reign, but I kind of expect that to get pushed to the summer, like they did with BatB.

That's exactly what I think too. The shows both pulled similar ratings patterns and are both CBS shows. The CW also did similar tweaking to the scheduling of both shows. I think ratings were better in the summer. Personally, I prefer is as a summer show.

3 minutes ago, looptab said:

AFAIK, Jane got 20 episodes.

It did - I finally found it.  http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-cw-current-series-orders-the-fampire-diaries-final-season-size-pilot-pickups-tca-1201802228/

• Supergirl - 22
  • Jane the Virgin - 20
  • The Flash - 22 (later confirmed to be 23)
  • No Tomorrow - 13 (not in this article)
  • Arrow - 22 (later confirmed to be 23)
  • Frequency - 13 (not in this article)
  • Legends of Tomorrow - 13 with option of back order (now 17)
  • Supernatural - 22
  • The Vampire Diaries - 16
  • Crazy Ex-Girlfriend - 13
  • Reign - 16
  • The Originals - 13
  • The 100 - 13
  • iZombie - 13
  • Riverdale - presumably 13, not in this article.
  • Love 1