Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

32 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I hope they are making it silly on purpose, because I *only* like LoT when it's silly. I really enjoyed the premiere exactly because it felt like they doubled down on the ridiculous.

I'm genuinely curious, what are the aspects that you like? 

I watched the first season because I love Sara Lance but I almost went into cardiac arrest due to second hand embarrassment, poor acting, and worst storytelling. 

I am not at all adversed to watching season 2 (usually my husband and I watch that on the week-end both hooked on Internet lol) but I think I have my dose of superheroes or time travel shows. 

(I will not watch Daredevil anymore because "fight!fight!fight!", I don't intend to watch Luke Cage or Supergirl, Gotham was so "gritty" that I had nightmares, and Timeless was Terribad!)

Edited by RussianRoulette

I like the silliness, it's a fun show that I can just sit back and enjoy without having to think too hard. I actually think the cast are more in tune with each other than last season with the dead weight of the Hawks and Savage gone.

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to some people. It is stupid, but that's what I find fun about it. I like seeing them interact with each other and fight as team. Supergirl's kind of the same way but it goes a little too cheesy for me sometimes, where the power of hand holding saves the day or something. Legends goes more into this is what happened just go with. And it's not dour and melodramatic like Arrow or rage inducing like the Flash. 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, RussianRoulette said:

I'm genuinely curious, what are the aspects that you like?

My very favorite kind of story is a team of outcasts with highly specific skills, banded together to form a sort of family, so they can solve ridiculous [bonus points if it's sci-fi-ish] problems of the week. That's LoT, so that's right in my jam. I don't even need to be invested in the individual characters, that's a bonus if I'm entertained by the problem-solving. As a comparison -- I've been watching Scorpion from the pilot, and I honestly can't tell you the name of a single character.

Last season I was super annoyed by the Savage + Hawks storyline because 1. it was a sexual harassment through history tale of yuck and gross, and 2. it was OH SO VERY SERIOUS AND DRAMALHAMATIC. They got rid of those things, and put the LoT team into a position of being actual problem-solvers of the week. So I'm in.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 9

Maybe if I felt there was more of a connection with the team the silliness wouldn't bother me as much. But they just don't feel connected to me and that has made it hard for me to care about them. 

Im all for humor but I would be turned off if the show descends into pure silliness. I have Timeless to watch now, so they better not make LoT into a joke.  

4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

No, LoT is a tenth below Arrow and 100k viewers. Even if it adjusted up in demo it would be very unusual to have that big of a bump in viewers.

Not to mention that SPN beat both Arrow and LoT in demo thus becoming the #4 show for the network/week.

What's #3? I thought it was:

1. Supergirl
  2. The Flash
  3. Supernatural
19 minutes ago, bijoux said:

What's #3? I thought it was:

1. Supergirl
  2. The Flash
  3. Supernatural

Yes, SPN is #3 Arrow #4 and LoT #5 Frequency #6 and No Tomorrow #7.

Finals are in, no real adjustments to LoT or SPN

SPN 0.8/2.15

LoT 0.6/1.82 (dropped a tiny bit).

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

I wonder how TPTB in the Flarrowverse are going to react to seeing two of their superhero shows beaten in the ratings by a show in its 12th season.  

In one of MG's tumblr responses he mentioned that Arrow was one of a handful of  shows in the 2015/2016 season not to lose viewers.  I think that data was taken as an indicator that they could throw anything at the audience and they would continue to stick around - which isn't proving to be true.  

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I like the silliness, it's a fun show that I can just sit back and enjoy without having to think too hard. I actually think the cast are more in tune with each other than last season with the dead weight of the Hawks and Savage gone.

I can see why it wouldn't appeal to some people. It is stupid, but that's what I find fun about it. I like seeing them interact with each other and fight as team. Supergirl's kind of the same way but it goes a little too cheesy for me sometimes, where the power of hand holding saves the day or something. Legends goes more into this is what happened just go with. And it's not dour and melodramatic like Arrow or rage inducing like the Flash. 

There were times when I didn't enjoy LoT last season (usually Hawkpeople related times), but I enjoyed last night. See I have a special technique - when the episode gets cringy, I focus on Candy Crush levels. Though that backfired during Supergirl, where I got so bored, I really focused on one tricky level, and completely missed most of the episode.

Oliver's part in the ep was ok - he was mostly exposition guy, though I wouldn't have minded if he exposited exactly how they got onto the ship, what about the bends, and how the hell did he get off the frickin' ship? I mean, one minute he was pep talking New Guy, the next, NG was talking to Snart, the ship was taking off, and Oliver just vanished. I guess he's a metahuman too now, and can teleport. Also, the main thing I thought at the beginning of the episode re. Oliver was that he needs to ease up on the eye-liner and mascara. Either that, or his eyelashes really are that thick. Hey, is there anyone in Star City or, like, the world who doesn't know that Oliver is the Green Arrow?

I mean, it was far from a perfect episode - the historical flashbacks were nonsense (It's Tintagel, not Tintangel, which sounds like a new type of hair colour, and how the hell did their phone battery last for all the months they're supposed to have been there), but once the episode got going, it was ok.

• Love 1

Yeah, it was just a joke I made here when Caitlin's mom was cast and I joked that she would be in 305 after we ranted here about how Flash followed some similar plot/event patterns as Arrow (other side of love triangle dying at the end of s1, other living parent dying near the end of s2, now mystery mom referenced in s2 showing up in exactly 305). It's just something that made me laugh, don't mind me.

• Love 1

I wonder how TPTB in the Flarrowverse are going to react to seeing two of their superhero shows beaten in the ratings by a show in its 12th season.  

Will stop talking trash about supernatural elements?

Also, the main thing I thought at the beginning of the episode re. Oliver was that he needs to ease up on the eye-liner and mascara

?

Edited by DCLeague

Huh...

From ‘Supergirl’ to ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,’ Women Are the Real Heroes of the CW
Maureen Ryan  OCTOBER 12, 2016 | 09:45AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/voices/columns/cw-gilmore-girls-crazy-ex-girlfriend-1201885544/

Scripted programs that celebrate female competence and complexity — and that still manage to be funny, imaginative, and poignant — are still more rare than they should be. But not on the CW, the network that descended from the WB, the original home of “Gilmore Girls.”

Partly because being female-focused had long been in its DNA, the CW was showcasing memorable female characters and creators well before other networks began regularly doing so. Especially under the leadership of president Mark Pedowitz, it has created an empire based on the depictions of can-do women who work hard and are, on a fundamental level, sincere. It’s not that complicated female characters don’t exist outside the CW — far from it. But much of the network’s success has been built on its reliance upon an array of women who are a little bit square, and who still get to be challenging, flawed, and surprising.
Some characters on the network are actual superheroes: This season, “Supergirl” migrated to the CW, which is where it probably should have been all along. It’s too soon to tell whether it will stay aloft in its new home — I lean toward the idea that the ensemble around star Melissa Benoist could use further fine-tuning, and the show needs more compelling villains. But there was a sprightly, energized air to the Oct. 10 premiere; the show felt more sure of itself.
Kara lives a squeaky-clean life, but none of the women in the CW-verse are perfect....

Edited by tv echo

Amused at the idea of getting another pair-up of excited puppy/grumpy cat with Kara and Oliver, along with Diggle's reaction to Kara. Although, Kara, your boss used to be Cat Grant, I feel like you should be able to recognize tough exteriors/tough love. 

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 10:09 AM, FurryFury said:

I still haven't seen the LOT premiere because even the idea of Ray and Sara is abhorrent to me. Plus, I'm still upset about Rip. I guess I'll wait a bit to see what happens. Cold's return would certainly bring me back they don't mess it up.

So far there has been nothing on screen that hints of a Ray/Sara romance except that he followed her when she snuck off to confront Damian Dahrk and he offered to talk about dealing with loss since he had experience with it.  So you could safely watch the first episode without feeling any Ray/Sara vibes.  The only reason I felt them was long term viewing experience and knowing these show runners.   Before the show ever went on air, I could see how they could make Sara and Ray a believable couple but the show just hasn't gone anywhere near them like that and I'm not sure I could go there anymore.  I would like them to be better friends though (since Sara has lost Cold and Rip and Hawkgirl to talk to) so I'm open to that for now.     

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, Sakura12 said:

I think they rushed this episode too much to really show the cast's connection.  They barely spent any time together.  Still not clear on why the whole team couldn't have all been sent to the same time together.  Next episode we should have time to linger on their connections as a team. 

Yeah, LoT is a lot harder to stay mad at.  They just don't even try to be taken seriously so it's easier to roll with it. 

• Love 2

Also, Legends of Tomorrow makes it clear that pretty much all of its characters are screwups, and only three of them - Ray, Jefferson, and Stein - really fall on the pure "hero" side, although I guess the historian dude is about to join that group. And Stein's been given several grey/pragmatic moments, so really, the pure "heroes" are Ray, Jefferson and presumably the historian. I can deal with Sara running off from the mission to seek her own personal vengeance much better than I can deal with Barry switching the timeline yet again, since Legends of Tomorrow isn't trying to claim that Sara is a heroic figure, and Sara isn't claiming that she's trying to do the right thing. Flash is trying to tell me that Barry is a hero, when from what I'm seeing from the last two episodes, no. 

• Love 18

The moment when a pretty recognizable extra from Arrow - the one who gave Oliver and Felicity that look when Felicity mentioned the leather and tying people up - walks across the Supergirl set.

....this may actually belong in the "You Know You're Watching Too Much Arrow when...." thread.

• Love 7

Keeping in mind I still haven't watched 201 of Supergirl yet, I don't know how I feel about this:

Actually I do but I don't know if my annoyance is justified. 
Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 3

It's another one of their comics tribute covers, like they did on Flash last season.  TVLine has the comics cover it's a recreation of.  http://tvline.com/2016/10/17/supergirl-dying-season-2-crisis-comic-cover-photo-spoilers/

It’s a recreation of Crisis on Infinite Earths, originally published by DC Comics in the mid 1980s, in which Supergirl *gulp* meets her untimely end

image.jpeg

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

Yeah, I saw that. I'm still ehhhhhh about it. Not really happy about her being damsel-ed on her own show. But as I said, I haven't started the new season yet so I don't know if that will translate on screen. It could amount to nothing. IDK?

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

It's as representative of the Supergirl episode as Arrow's promo is to Arrow.  @Angel12d

Good to know, thank you! :)

• Love 1

Watching Supergirl tonight with Superman gave me the feeling of summers when I was eight and on vacation with my cousin and I would beg him to let me read his comics.  But I'm not eight any more and I want more from my stories so I'm glad Superman is gone.

They've done a nice job slotting in Winn this year and Alex and J'onn are still great. But poor Mechad Brooks, they really have no idea what to do with James now and the new Super guy is so going to be Kara's love interest.

I kept flipping channels these two episodes whereas last year I was so into the show.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

I really do wonder what the CW is going to do about their superhero shows. 

Flash is dropping like crazy, Supergirl too. Arrow dropped A LOT between seasons but remained steady between episodes. LoT remains steady on the lower end though. 

Are people not watching because of the bad promo? I'm so curious. 

6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Ouch.

Supergirl  0.9/2.57 million 

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/10/ratings-news-18th-october-2016.html?m=1

CW/WB have got to be in panic mode at this point. This week is going to be bad for CWDC shows with the NCLS playing T/W/Tr nights.

Worst part is, it has a small chance of adjusting down, right? 

CvDxWOIXgAAoR_p.jpg

• Love 3

Zoiks! Wonder if we are just getting to a Superhero saturation point. I do think story and promo decisions for Flash and Arrow may be factoring in, since those shows already had a more firmly established audience.

Wonder if they are freaking about the potential xover ratings now?

• Love 1

I'm sure it's not what they were hoping for, and the across-the-board decrease has got to be concerning, but last year CEG was pulling a 0.3 in that time slot.  Also, both of their new shows are tanking - No Tomorrow got a 0.2 last week, and Frequency got a 0.3.  A 0.9, while disappointing, will still likely have it in the top two for the week.  It will be interesting to see if The Flash ratings stabilize, or keep dropping.   

• Love 1

I don't know how others are reacting but for me, I gave up on The Flash last season because of the writing (chiefly Poor Barry! and the lack of anything other than propping for the women).  This season they seem to have rebooted Supergirl into a different kind of show but I preferred the one last year.  And the Arrow promrtion plus Felicity's bf makes me hesitant about the rest of the season but I'm sticking in because of loyalty and OTA.

I hope someone at the CW is commissioning some research.

• Love 4

I wonder if The CW's promotion of having 4 superhero shows across 4 straight nights of television has backfired?  I mean, maybe some viewers think that the shows are so interconnected now that they have to watch all 4 shows in order to keep up, and they don't want to commit to watching all 4 shows.

I was going to say that I wouldn't be surprised if The CW cancels one of its existing superhero shows and replaces it with a new Superman show. It wouldn't happen this season, of course, but the following AK interview seems to leave open the spinoff possibility...

Are The Supergirl Producers Planning A Superman Spinoff?
October 17, 2016
http://www.kryptonsite.com/are-the-supergirl-producers-planning-a-superman-spinoff/

So are the producers planning a spinoff?

Supergirl Executive Producer Andrew Kreisberg was asked that very question at a Q&A last week.

“We’re so happy with what we get to do,” Kreisberg said, thankful for the episodes they were given to play with the iconic character. “I don’t mean for that to sounds as bad as it does, but we asked if we could have Superman in the first episode, and DC and Warner Bros. said ‘you could have him for the first two episodes’ and we were like ‘great!’ I’m not going to sit here and say that there’s never going to be a world in which there’s a Superman TV show and that Tyler’s going to star in it — I don’t know what the future holds, but right now that’s not our focus,” he said.

“Right now, we’re working on Supergirl, which is the flagship, and we’re working on a way for Tyler to reprise the role,” he continued. “That’s really what our focus is: on Supergirl.”

Edited by tv echo

If they were ... i dont think its gonna go forward. Didnt Constantine episode on Arrow had a 1.1 demo when it aired last year and there were big talk that it might mean we see Constantine in one of the shows. And nothing came out of it.

34 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

If they were ... i dont think its gonna go forward. Didnt Constantine episode on Arrow had a 1.1 demo when it aired last year and there were big talk that it might mean we see Constantine in one of the shows. And nothing came out of it.

Constantine scored a 1.1 and 2.60 million viewers which was up 2 tenths from 404 (0.9) but almost the same viewer wise.

415 which featured Vixen scored a 1.0 up 1 tenth from 414 (0.9) and up about 300k in viewers  (2.44 to 2.70).

Neither one was enough to earn a spinoff but, Vixen at least ended up on LoT.

Edited by Morrigan2575

The Flash was really boring this week. And they are really doing a terrible job to make me root for Barry and Iris on the Flash. First they are bored with each other if they can't talk about Barry being the Flash, then he ditches Iris in the middle of who knows where he took her to be the Flash. And Iris is supposed just be happy and wait there by herself until Barry shows back up. Is Iris supposed be happy spending her life waiting for Barry? Because comic destiny is not enough for me to like them as couple. 

It could also be because Barry changes time and messes up other people's lives then still get the girl and most everything he wants. While everyone just as to move on from having their lives changed. 

I also hate how smug they make Joe when he talks about how great a dad he is, since he only is when it concerns his sons. He still barely remembers Iris, the daughter he raised since birth. Has he had any heart to heart talks with Iris at all? I don't remember them. 

• Love 14