Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

In Chicago the CW changed to an obscure channel. I wonder if the casual audience realize that or care to look for the new channel? If we're the 3rd largest market that could be affecting the ratings. 

The audience not caring enough to be bothered to go looking for a show they used to watch but can't find on the schedule is just as big a problem for the CW as the audience knowing where it is and just not watching.

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

CWDC - Barring Adjustments

The Flash - 1.0 / 2.665

Supergirl - 0.9 / 2.663

Arrow - 0.6 / 1.79

LoT - 0.6/1.78

These are also the Top 4 shows for the network this week (so far)

Unlikely

Supernatural has a good shot at bumping up to 0.7 and LOT is a weak 0.6 and might fall to 0.5. 

11 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Wow.  Good for LoT, not so good for Arrow.

Well to be fair, Arrow was up against the debate and MLB as well as major competition with Blindspot & Lethal Weapon. LoT wasn't really up against much IIRC

ETA: It is up against NFL so nevermind

Edited by wonderwall
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Getting more phones calls ?

What do you think? Will they care? I always have the feeling like they have the attitude "We don't care about anything, nothing impresses us that easily".

That is super weird to me since Lot's early ratings half hour breakdown was at (0.630 & 0.611) and originally they felt like that 0.61 was actually a 0.57. So not really close to falling to 0.5 but nowhere near that 0.7. 

Edited by tarotx

Eek, Arrow's below LoT. Yep there will be some scrambling around the Arrow writers room. 

Despite having low ratings, LoT is pretty even with last season. Which means that most everyone came back that watched last season. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

What state are you in? 

In Chicago, prime time starts at 7 pm.

Louisiana. "Prime Time" stuff differs with different networks, at least on my end. It made watching Flash and AoS complicated for a while (even though AoS was "later" at "9," both Flash and AoS aired at the same time here at 8). 

1 minute ago, way2interested said:

Louisiana. "Prime Time" stuff differs with different networks, at least on my end. It made watching Flash and AoS complicated for a while (even though AoS was "later" at "9," both Flash and AoS aired at the same time here at 8). 

That's weird. The network shows all start at the same time over here, 7, 8, and 9 pm. Even now with the CW moving to some small channel. 

52 minutes ago, Belinea said:

What do you think? Will they care? I always have the feeling like they have the attitude "We don't care about anything, nothing impresses us that easily".

The answer is yes, they will absolutely care that they're getting their asses chewed out by their bosses. 

There's this weird thing in fandom where people think/believe that MG/WM are all powerful and can do whatever they want. They can't.  MG/WM answer to Berlanti.  Berlanti answers to Pedowitz, Rothman, maybe even Moonves. 

It's called Show Business for a reason, they're in it to make money and Network/Studio executives take any potential loss of money very,  very seriously. 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 10

I doubt there will be any mention of the steep decline in ratings in any 100th party interviews, but it will be interesting to see if the promotional narrative changes to one that offers up more hope for Olicity, OTA, etc.  

At this point, I doubt that people who've been turned off will readily believe anything the EPs say to try and get them back.  Plus, for people who write for a living the EP's routinely find the most horrible way to word responses to questions which ends up making things even worse.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Screw the 100th episode party, I want a ticket to the EPs office.

Also, I'm super curious about the spin at the party. Lots of journos going.

I was wondering if they were going to incorporate the mid-season junket around the party, since the junket usually happens when they are filming 5.09/5.10. I'm interested to see if the promotion focus changes or if they double down. I'm also wondering if they are going to announce new characters.

• Love 2

I'm more glad for LoT than anything. I love it, even when it crosses the line from dumb fun and into dumb. I'm glad its getting good ratings.

Of course, that won't stop the people who keep screaming about how LoT is soooo expensive and deserves to be canceled. As if they would just cancel it instead of writing off the the heavy CGI characters, who incidentally also have the highest salaries (Routh and Garber). They'd write of Atom and Firestorm if they had to and bring in less FX heavy characters like Constantine or Zatanna. 

With these ratings LoT is safe.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's called Show Business for a reason, they're in it to make money and Network/Studio executives take any potential loss of money very,  very seriously. 

I'd love to see how they're going to attempt to figure out what to correct. There are so many factors that go into declining ratings and just as many that go into turning that decrease around. I find the business side of show business so interesting. 

• Love 11
Just now, calliope1975 said:

I'd love to see how they're going to attempt to figure out what to correct. There are so many factors that go into declining ratings and just as many that go into turning that decrease around. I find the business side of show business so interesting. 

I mean the few I can think of right off the bat:

• Increased competition: Blindspot, Lethal Weapon
  • Poor promotion that's misleading to what's actually shown on screen - it's like they're marketing to attract new people and not retain the ones who are still around. Therefore, the ones who are still around aren't really interested in what they're selling because who cares about the newbies?
  • Audience probably hated season 4 and the writers lost their trust and interest
  • More people are watching online than live

IDK

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I mean the few I can think of right off the bat:

• Increased competition: Blindspot, Lethal Weapon
  • Poor promotion that's misleading to what's actually shown on screen - it's like they're marketing to attract new people and not retain the ones who are still around. Therefore, the ones who are still around aren't really interested in what they're selling because who cares about the newbies?
  • Audience probably hated season 4 and the writers lost their trust and interest
  • More people are watching online than live

IDK

Exactly! How do the EP's, marketing, etc., decide which aspects to tackle and which to chalk up to an aging show? I know what I'd like them to address, but I can't wait to see if anything changes in show or marketing over the next several months. They're pretty much stuck with what's been shot up to, what, 509, right? Marketing can change some of that, but the show is what it is until tweaks are made after 509. And that's only if they decide it's the show and not the promotion, or more likely, a combination of the two. 

Someone, quarks or dtissa - sorry can't remember - has done beautiful analyses of S1 and the changes that were made and the likely reasons why. I eagerly anticipate the post mortem on S5.  

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

That's never a given.  Their ideas of how to fix things could just make it 10x worse (looking at you FOX/Sleepy Hollow).

There's no guarantee that they see or think what I think. It'll be curious to see what they do/think.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, tarotx said:

That is super weird to me since Lot's early ratings half hour breakdown was at (0.630 & 0.611) and originally they felt like that 0.61 was actually a 0.57. So not really close to falling to 0.5 but nowhere near that 0.7. 

Yeah that's quite a bump. I expected SPN to get a bump since Legends did but nope.

• Love 1

Never forget that the decline in ratings in 2B resulted in them killing Sara and making Buckles happen.

28 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Poor promotion that's misleading to what's actually shown on screen - it's like they're marketing to attract new people and not retain the ones who are still around. Therefore, the ones who are still around aren't really interested in what they're selling because who cares about the newbies?

Traditional marketing [trailers, promos, posters, etc] is always about getting new people. Social media marketing is targeted at fans, but with the hope that those fans will create buzz to get new people interested. It's always about new people, except with social media you need someone who's already engaged as intermediary.

What is SUPER WEIRD with the whole "back to basics" thing is a lot of the talk from showrunners and SA is "if you liked S1/S2 you'll love S5". That's... dumb as fuck. That's going after people who stopped watching 3 years ago. And it's telling the potential new viewer that could binge the show on Netflix that S3/S4 are not worth their time.

Steve has already started unfucking this fuck up in that FB video he minimized S2 being the best season. But it's kinda too late now.

• Love 20

That's never a given.  Their ideas of how to fix things could just make it 10x worse (looking at you FOX/Sleepy Hollow).

Yeah those who have left have left, they are likely not coming back. Maybe they should focus on retaining the audience they have now, instead of doing  drastic changes to the season and may end up turning off even more viewers. The first 3 episodes of the season have received mostly positive online feedback so far, from what I can tell, so its not all bleak. 

Edited by DCLeague

I know at least 5 people who have dropped the show, this season, because they didn't like what the direction in 4b and statements in interviews etc.  These aren't fandom people, it's a group I watched the show with.

People who've been gone since season 2/3 I agree are not coming back but there are many people that I think they could still get back who left in season 4. 

Its probably at least partially my fault since I read stuff, get pissed and share it with them lol.

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, DCLeague said:

Yeah those who have left have left, they are likely not coming back. Maybe they should focus on retaining the audience they have now, instead of doing  drastic changes to the season and may end up turning off even more viewers. The first 3 episodes of the season have received mostly positive online feedback so far, from what I can tell, so its not all bleak. 

They need to focus on retaining the record low viewership?  Instead of trying to reclaim even a fraction of audience they had last season.   In my opinion, that is not a good business model. 

• Love 16
6 hours ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I was wondering if they were going to incorporate the mid-season junket around the party, since the junket usually happens when they are filming 5.09/5.10. I'm interested to see if the promotion focus changes or if they double down. I'm also wondering if they are going to announce new characters.

Taking this to the Spoilers thread.

Green Arrow is #25, Supergirl is #23 and The Flash is #10 on Entertainment Weekly's list of "The 50 Most Powerful Superheroes." (Black Canary, The Atom, Firestorm and Mr. Terrific did not make the list, but Buffy made the list at #11!). A panel of EW's superhero experts rated each superhero in 9 categories: Cultural Impact, Bankability, Design, Modern Relevance, Mythology, Nemeses, Originality, Personality and Powers. They used a 100-point system, with each category allowing up to 10 points to be awarded, with the exception of Cultural Impact which allowed up to 20 points to be awarded. I read this article in EW's print issue, but here's EW's online version...

Most Powerful Superheroes ever: EW ranks the Top 50
BY EW STAFF  October 14, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/14/superhero-power-index

Here is how Green Arrow got its 64.0 total points:  13.8 for Cultural Impact, 6.7 for Bankability, 5.7 for Design, 7.0 for Modern Relevance, 7.3 for Mythology, 6.7 for Nemeses, 6.0 for Originality, 6.3 for Personality, and 4.7 for Powers.

ew-1436-indv2-001.png

ETA: Black Canary was not even mentioned in Green Arrow's write-up.  The Flash's write-up listed his "likes" as "Iris West, running," while Green Arrow's write-up listed his "likes" as "Robin Hood, tightfitting leather." For all the superheroes, both the movie/tv shows and comics were considered.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Since they appear to be doing a Barry & Iris romance this year I wonder if at some point there will be a media push (with a photo shoot and interviews) about THE romance of the DC world. They are canon after all.  

Marc Guggenheim Reveals the Title Of Arrow's 100th Episode
Russ Burlingame  10/23/2016
http://comicbook.com/2016/10/23/marc-guggenheim-reveals-the-title-of-arrows-100th-episode/

During an event earlier tonight celebrating Arrow's one hundredth episode, series showrunner Marc Guggenheim confirmed the episode's title -- as well as that of the DC's Legends of Tomorrow episode it crosses over with for good measure.

While Arrow takes its hundredth episode to celebrate the four-plus seasons that have come before, it also has to balance the needs of a four-show crossover that will bring Supergirl into The Flash, Arrow, and DC's Legends of Tomorrow.

The crossover is based on the 1988 DC Comics event series Invasion!, in which The Dominators led an alliance of alien races against Earth after fueling hysteria that our superhuman population was too large and too powerful to go unchecked.

"I'm giving you an exclusive -- becuase you're the only one who's asked," Guggenheim joked. "Arrow episode 508 is called 'Invasion!' with the exclamation point. And Legends of Tomorrow 207 is going to be 'Invasion!'. I'll leave it up to you to guess what The Flash is called."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Trini said:

Interesting; so essentially, "Invasion!" parts 1, 2, and 3. I guess Supergirl will be the "Invasion" preview?

It seems Barry (and maybe Cisco) are just going to go over and pull Kara into the Flash. Supergirl's episode won't actually be a part of the crossover event. That show will just have a mini crossover. 

Jessica Jones Season 2 to Feature All Female Directors
Lauren Gallaway  October 22, 2016
http://themarvelreport.com/2016/10/jessica-jones-season-2-to-feature-all-female-directors/

Season one of Jessica Jones was so boldly and darkly feminine because it had a female showrunner — Melissa Rosenberg — who could navigate Jessica’s strengths and weakness from her own unique female perspective. According to Variety’s Mo Ryan, Rosenberg is making an interesting choice to further support women behind the camera in season two. Ryan reported today that all thirteen episodes of Jessica Jones season 2 will be directed by women. This is huge news and completely unprecedented in the world of Marvel Television.

Some of you may be asking: why is this important? Why is this news? Isn’t this reverse sexism? I will answer all of those questions with these statistics. Between 2010 and 2014, Variety sampled the amount of directors who were male, female, males of color and females of color. The diagram below shows these numbers per network, with  white male directors in red. Clearly, there is a disproportionate measure here, even for Netflix.
television-directors-by-race-and-gender-

Is it wrong to have more male directors on a show? No, but should it change? Absolutely — especially with a show that so intentionally tackles female issues. The fact that Rosenberg has made the decision to include a slate of female directors means that she is wanting to make sure that Jessica’s deepest motivations, her greatest fears, and her best and worst sides can all be showcased by women, like her. I love it and I hope one day all shows have an equal amount of male and female directors.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 12