Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 12/10/17

Jaded
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, susieq147 said:

I wonder if in real life Meghan revolves her life around being a Republican.

I knew someone in college who was super into being Jewish. No matter what conversation was around the lunch table, he always brought it around to how Jews felt or acted. We had a conversation once that went something like

Him: Well, the Jews think that....

Me: Leonard, not everything revolves around Judaism. Some people don't care about the Jewish perspective on every single subject.

Him: (Honestly baffled) BUT WHY NOT?

After our lunch schedules stopped meshing, we lost touch, but I think of him every now and then and wonder what he's like today. We were freshmen in college and people do change an awful lot. But I look at Meghan and still see 17-year-old Leonard with his one-track mind and honest incredulity that the one subject that fascinated him was not endlessly fascinating to everyone. I think a person understands Meghan McCain (at least as she appears on The View) if the realization hasn't yet sunk in that there's a whole big world out there full of diverse and varying viewpoints.

Most of us have already been "educated" by life on how Republicans think. We do not need more education. Meghan seems to think that if she only can explain it with the correct words, the Republican way of thinking will become attractive. To me, at least, I do understand and I do not think it is attractive.

Sameach Hanukkah to Leonard (wherever you are) and to everyone who celebrates.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 9
17 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

Not sure why Meghan kept bringing up that the Dems should have ran someone like Tim Pawlenty he’s a relpublican! If she wanted to bring up a moderate democrat she should have brought up John Bel Edwards.

Now that's just bizarre.

Out in the Bay Area we've been interrupted due to a  beloved mayor suddenly passing away. 

1 hour ago, lexytheblasian said:

lol off-topic but I studied journalism in college and was a reporter for my school newspaper, so sometimes the "journalist" in me comes out and I'll say alleged. All the "fake news" stuff is particularly frustrating to me because I don't think a lot of people understand how journalism and reporting a news story works. But this is all neither here nor there...

Oh I did too! I was a broadcast journalism major with a minor in Criminal Justice; should have flipped them. Changed careers after the Simpson/Goldman murders and how the media handled that clusterfuck. Paralegal now.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh I did too! I was a broadcast journalism major with a minor in Criminal Justice; should have flipped them. Changed careers after the Simpson/Goldman murders and how the media handled that clusterfuck. Paralegal now.

Cool stuff! I minored in sociology but also considered criminal justice!

Can you imagine what professors are talking about in classrooms across the nation about journalism in this day and age? Whew! 

• Love 5

Every day with MM is the same soundtrack. Republican, tribal, I am trying to explain Republicans, I'm conservative, liberals think.. Rinse, lather, repeat. MM talks at people about issues not with them and it is frustrating and #exhausting. 

The responses to her twitter request to help out her friend in California is getting some controversial feedback. When your dad votes for a tax bill that does not allow deductions for natural disasters, it is probably best not to ask other people to donate. Your family is the one with millions. Talk about tone deaf.

On a shallow note, MM and Sara looked great today.

Edited by hudsbee
  • Love 20
1 hour ago, hudsbee said:

Every day with MM is the same soundtrack. Republican, tribal, I am trying to explain Republicans, I'm conservative, liberals think.. Rinse, lather, repeat. MM talks at people about issues not with them and it is frustrating and #exhausting. 

The responses to her twitter request to help out her friend in California is getting some controversial feedback. When your dad votes for a tax bill that does not allow deductions for natural disasters, it is probably best not to ask other people to donate. Your family is the one with millions. Talk about tone deaf.

On a shallow note, MM and Sara looked great today.

When she is so exhaperated because she's failing " at her job " of  explaining Republicans to the table and us liberals in America  her frustration is because we are just so very thick. That's also the reason for her pissy mood.  

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

When she is so exhaperated because she's failing " at her job " of  explaining Republicans to the table and us liberals in America  her frustration is because we are just so very thick. That's also the reason for her pissy mood.  

Yes that is it.   We are the problem.   Not Meghan. If we would just go along with her all would be right in the world

• Love 14
5 hours ago, NeverLate said:

He's a strange one, I just can't take to him at all.

Re Jimmy Fallon.   I liked him SO much on Saturday Night Live.  He's better in ensemble pieces...and some of the silly things he does with Timberlake.  I was surprised when he got the talk show gig.   He just seems like a suck-up (an overly nice one) who doesn't want to make waves...just wants everyone to love him.  It makes for mildly uncomfortable and fake interviews.  Still, I think he is a nice guy and I hope his ratings allow him to keep the job for a good while.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

I think she gets her feelings hurt every time the audience applauds a viewpoint that she disagrees with. You can see it on her face how pissed she is as she tries to hurry up the applause so she can talk.

• Love 15
51 minutes ago, backformore said:

I think she gets her feelings hurt every time the audience applauds a viewpoint that she disagrees with. You can see it on her face how pissed she is as she tries to hurry up the applause so she can talk.

I'm not sure MM actually takes the audience applause personally. She is like Elisabeth and sees things as black and white - Republicans, Conservative or Democrat, Liberal. In MM's mind, the audience is all liberal democrats who need her wisdom to explain her peeps.

Going to miss Sara a lot when she is on maternity leave, She brings a lightness to the show and is very good at explaining her pov.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, lexytheblasian said:

On a completely different note, Meghan said she went to see the Star Wars movie with Sunny. I wonder what the off-camera Meghan is like.

She didn't really specify that they went together.  Whoopi asked who saw the movie and Meghan said something like, "Sunny and I did."  They could have seen it separately.  

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

She didn't really specify that they went together.  Whoopi asked who saw the movie and Meghan said something like, "Sunny and I did."  They could have seen it separately.  

The robot told Meghan she looked nice at the movie.  He never mentioned poor Sonny.  Of course Whoopi was the onenspeaking robot.   

• Love 1

Interesting that MM feels it's now the conservatives who are attacking her.  Ninety percent of her problems are of her own making via her derisiveness, stridency and now apparently her own jealousy over her other co-hosts and guest hosts.   She's right...she "just can't win", because the enemy she is fighting is herself.  Just relax, Meghan...breathe.

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 11
38 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I guess, I am heartless, but, I literally laughed out loud.  I don't care about her hurt feelings. She put herself in this position, by, making it, so personal, being antagonistic towards Joy and the people in the audience.  

The only thing that I will say in her favor is that people are vicious on social media.  

• Love 15
48 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

25 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Interesting that MM feels it's now the conservatives who are attacking her.  Ninety percent of her problems are of her own making via her derisiveness, stridency and now apparently her own jealousy over her other co-hosts and guest hosts.   She's right...she "just can't win", because the enemy she is fighting is herself.  Just relax, Meghan...breathe.

None of this is new.  One day last week (or the week before) MM said that her conservative friends were mad at her for being on The View, as it is a liberal show.  And there was one show where she was arguing with Sunny, and we all commented here how, after a commercial break, the other hosts seemed to be extra-nice to her.  I thought she had been crying during the break.

Meghan is not enjoying herself, I think she regrets taking the job.  If she would just LISTEN to the others, and have a conversation about issues, dropping the whole "as a republican"  thing, she would do better.  She does not need to represent every republican who ever lived - just herself.  On very basic issues, her views are probably not that different than what Sunny, Sarah and Joy think.  Issues like gay rights, reproductive rights, gun control, can be discussed without anyone representing a political party. 

• Love 19
12 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Not sure why Meghan kept bringing up that the Dems should have ran someone like Tim Pawlenty he’s a relpublican! If she wanted to bring up a moderate democrat she should have brought up John Bel Edwards.

Right? I wondered if she meant Tim Kaine. Pawlenty was the first Republican to openly say he would reinstate Don't Ask, Don't Tell, so not exactly a moderate (although a very nice man in person as I worked with him as a retail gay!).

The video Meghan introduced as a "nuanced Republican" is actually MORE nuanced; the man's daughter committed suicide in the early '90s and he re-evaluated his views after that. It's a heartbreaking video; I am grateful for him sharing his pain.

Sunny and Meghan were both FIRED UP today and I enjoyed them. And can Joy have a bell every day?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, backformore said:

She does not need to represent every republican who ever lived - just herself.

This, yes, a thousand times this. Joy does not purport to represent every liberal. Whoopi does not purport to represent every black person. Sunny does not purport to represent every lawyer. If Meghan ever got out of her "I just have to educate you!" self-imposed Republican conservative prison and spoke from her heart, as Meghan, I think she would not only be more successful in getting her points across, I also think she would be much more likable.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Right? I wondered if she meant Tim Kaine. Pawlenty was the first Republican to openly say he would reinstate Don't Ask, Don't Tell, so not exactly a moderate (although a very nice man in person as I worked with him as a retail gay!).

The video Meghan introduced as a "nuanced Republican" is actually MORE nuanced; the man's daughter committed suicide in the early '90s and he re-evaluated his views after that. It's a heartbreaking video; I am grateful for him sharing his pain.

Sunny and Meghan were both FIRED UP today and I enjoyed them. And can Joy have a bell every day?

I agree. I also wouldn’t consider Pawlenty a moderate so the whole thing was weird plus he was a rumored VP choice for her father. Maybe she meant Tim Kaine, but he is also pro choice but personally pro life. I remeneber Sunny bringing it up that he articulated her views on abortion. 

I’m looking forward to Biden being on he convinced Doug Jones to run for senate and they have been friends for decades. I’m sure he will be very happy for his friend.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, JayD83 said:

Hell must've frozen, unfroze and refroze.  MM has me sitting here in tears right along with her. 

Me too. Today would have been my Mom's birthday and she died from brain and lung cancer.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 13
5 minutes ago, Tanichka said:

Joe is a master politician (& I mean that in a good way) - so refreshing.  Too bad he's not younger.

Joe is  perfect example of devoting your life to public service. John McCain and Ted Kennedy also embody the empathy and intelligence required for the job and so sad they are getting old and/or sick.

I can relate to MM getting so emotional and think this has a lot to do with her attitude on the show. It is very hard on her and this time of year is a constant reminder of family.

• Love 14

I've always liked Biden, he's such a gentleman. I felt so sad for Meghan, because we haven't heard much about her father ,until today. I think she keeps that all bottled up, until today

It's been over 14 years since my father died, and I still can't keep it together, not at this time of the year. So hearing Mr Biden talk about Bo, and Meghan talk about her father, I simply lost it.

I don't think I could get through the book, but I'm damn sure going to try. And as it was on the view, Joe Biden 2020! 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JayD83 said:

Hell must've frozen, unfroze and refroze.  MM has me sitting here in tears right along with her. 

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Tears in my eyes as soon as Mr Biden switched seats.

Me, too. I had to compose myself before I came to the board. And at first, I was all prepared to hate her when she said she hadn't read VP Biden's book, but then the floodgates opened, when I realized why.

• Love 13
11 minutes ago, General Days said:

Me, too. I had to compose myself before I came to the board. And at first, I was all prepared to hate her when she said she hadn't read VP Biden's book, but then the floodgates opened, when I realized why.

Hi, Meghan said she couldn't get through the book..not that she hadn't read it. 

• Love 1

I listened to most of the show from another room because I've never been a big fan of Biden myself, so I missed the beginning of Meghan melting down. I do feel sorry for her, but with how many other times she's fell back on her father for a sympathy grab on this show and how much of a cold fish she is to me in general, I was a bit skeptical.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I listened to most of the show from another room because I've never been a big fan of Biden myself, so I missed the beginning of Meghan melting down. I do feel sorry for her, but with how many other times she's fell back on her father for a sympathy grab on this show and how much of a cold fish she is to me in general, I was a bit skeptical.

I get that, but I think had you'd seen her, you would see what a lot of us saw.

• Love 6