Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: No Small Feet

I don't get it: The show can't find things for the entire regular cast to do every episode (wherefore art thou, Lily, Joe and Haley?), so we really need to keep featuring Cam's nightmare of a sister? Really?

Although, as others have pointed out, these writers really have no idea what to do with the kids. The Alex-Luke storyline was just random and gross, and Manny is a man without a point.

• Love 19

Hate Cam's sister.  I do like Mitch & Cam's storylines the best, though.  Wish Pepper would pay a visit.  Alex-Luke?  I knew that would suck.  Manny was fine when he was younger.  I've always disliked Jay & Claire, so no change there.  Phil & Gloria - I don't even know what that was all about.  Overall, not a stellar episode.

• Love 2

I was actually hoping that be it for Pam, but sadly. She is still here. Yeah, they don't know what to do with the kids anymore or they put them in very random moments. Though, it was nice to see Claire having the entire company on her side for once. It was a nice change. Wow on those flashbacks of Ed O'Neil. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, Robert Lynch said:

James Van Der Beek...! That was a huge 90s flashback. Didn't expect him to show up...

First Paula Abdul on Fresh Off The Boat and now James Van Der Beek on MF. Seems like ABC is a haven for these former 90s stars.

Fun fact: Jesse IGd a picture of him and James and mentioned that he had auditioned for Dawson!

• Love 1

He has talked so much about you.

Well, he did have a little thing for me back in high school. Guess he's got a type. 

Stop it! Stop. I am nothing like--

That was really cute. 

It almost feels like they know we have been complaining about how unappealing Cam and Mitch have been these past few years, and are trying to make them more likable. 

The cute suit/cute shorts scene was also adorable. But they didn't need to toss Larry. Twice. 

Orn-ges

Is that a regional pronunciation?

Alex didn't really react when Luke told her that he was surprised she knew how to shave legs. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, jmonique said:

I don't get it: The show can't find things for the entire regular cast to do every episode (wherefore art thou, Lily, Joe and Haley?), so we really need to keep featuring Cam's nightmare of a sister? Really?

Although, as others have pointed out, these writers really have no idea what to do with the kids. The Alex-Luke storyline was just random and gross, and Manny is a man without a point.

10 hours ago, readster said:

I was actually hoping that be it for Pam, but sadly. She is still here. Yeah, they don't know what to do with the kids anymore or they put them in very random moments. Though, it was nice to see Claire having the entire company on her side for once. It was a nice change. Wow on those flashbacks of Ed O'Neil. 

It is not unreasonable for Mitch to want the sister to vacate since she has been living there a year without rent and they really do need the money.  Also instead of being grateful she is nasty, loud, and always seems to he hitting them up for for free babysitting.  I would love to see Pepper again.  However, the writers just love the visual of two larger then average people wrestling, so the sister stays.  

Edited to add: I never realized how good looking Al Bundy was.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 7

I enjoyed JVDB as Bo. Wouldn’t mind seeing him again — but without Cam’s terrible sister. 

Also, it was strange to have a scene where Cam and Mitch are romantic/horny because we rarely see that in their relationship and there isn’t much sexual chemistry between the two. 

9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Fun fact: Jesse IGd a picture of him and James and mentioned that he had auditioned for Dawson!

Could you imagine him as Dawson? 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It is not unreasonable for Mitch to want the sister to vacate since she has been living there a year without rent and they really do need the money.  Also instead of being grateful she is nasty, loud, and always seems to he hitting them up for for free babysitting

And wrestling with Cam, probably breaking things.  I agree that no Haley, Lily or Joe but we get lots of Pam?

I did laugh at the very beginning when Claire was making enthusiastic noises while looking at her laptop and Luke yells, "You guys are gross!" or something to that effect.  

Claire and Jay arguing - time to mute.  

I would like to see Pepper again - he cracks me up.  Wonder how Lionel is doing?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I enjoyed JVDB as Bo. Wouldn’t mind seeing him again — but without Cam’s terrible sister. 

Also, it was strange to have a scene where Cam and Mitch are romantic/horny because we rarely see that in their relationship and there isn’t much sexual chemistry between the two. 

Could you imagine him as Dawson? 

When they both lunged at each other in passion, it felt very forced and cartoon like.  However, this show has always used broad comedy when it comes to sex and romance.  They once spent an entire episode trying to convince us that Gloria was hot for Jay's body and I did not believe it for a second.

• Love 6

The Manny plot was odd. Stealthily taking items, supplies from Jay and Gloria's house while backing out toward the exit, but stopping whenever Jay turned toward him? What?

Claire came across as incredibly petty before hugging it out with Jay. 

Can someone explain why Mitch said something about destroying statues, after finding out Cam's bayonet belonged to someone named Stonewall? I understand the Stonewall riot significance but not the rest.

Mitch is a divorce lawyer?

They probably used two cats, but I loved how they show Larry escaping, then Cam immediately enters, carrying Larry and complaining that Larry got out again.  

They finally covered Gloria's cleavage!

• Love 1

The Alex-Luke storyline was just random and gross,

Yup.....and actually sorta funny. It was the" D Plot", but not a bad one.

The show can't find things for the entire regular cast to do every episode (wherefore art thou, Lily, Joe and Haley?), so we really need to keep featuring Cam's nightmare of a sister? Really?

The show started out kinda funny with some clever lines and then ground to a halt with Pam and Gloria's over acting and Pam and Manny's bad acting (good concept, poor execution-we don't even know what he was taking) and Pam and the house buyer's bad acting and Pam and ....

• Love 3

Can someone explain why Mitch said something about destroying statues, after finding out Cam's bayonet belonged to someone named Stonewall? I understand the Stonewall riot significance but not the rest.

It is referencing recent protests against Confederate statues, with "Stonewall" Tucker being a generic Confederate General type name or more particularly, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson.

I don't think it was an allusion to the Stonewall riots, IMO.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

The Manny plot was odd. Stealthily taking items, supplies from Jay and Gloria's house while backing out toward the exit, but stopping whenever Jay turned toward him? What?

I did not understand it either - I can see taking food (although Gloria would have a food delivery service headed his way if thought her little lamb was hungry for a nanosecond) but taking a small vase or other odd things?  

The Phil/Gloria storyline was boring.  Phil, YOU NEED THIS SALE.  So what do you do?  Bring in Madcap Gloria, trying to "confront the devil in his many forms" to a showing.  Yep, that will end well.  Oh the hijinks that will follow!!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Mitch is a divorce lawyer?

He's been doing divorces for gay couples (maybe straight ones too, though it's never been mentioned) at least since that season 7 episode where he and Cam were at a wedding and found out their dancing embarrassed Lily.  Cam blamed Mitch's divorce practice for them not getting invited to several Pepper run weddings, but it was really Lily who had declined the invites to spare her the horror of her fathers' dance moves.  

I agree the Manny taking things from the house subplot went nowhere.  I was really hoping for a payoff of him in his dorm room with some kind of swanky set up, mini gourmet kitchen and bar, or something.  Even though that would be farfetched, it would have been better than zero point to the plot, other than to have Manny in the scenes with Jay.  

• Love 5
3 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Mitchell said, "Oh, Stonewall, I'm guessing his statute is no longer in the park."

The name "Stonewall" would imply that he fought for the confederacy, and recently a lot of confederate statutes have been removed from public parks.

They really got my hopes up that we'd be rid of Pam. I'm guessing we won't be rid of her until there's a reason for her to run off and leave Cam and Mitch with the baby.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

It wasn't about the Stonewall riot, he was referring to Stonewall Jackson, the Confederate general and how all of the Confederate statues are being taken down. 

They probably used two cats, but I loved how they show Larry escaping, then Cam immediately enters, carrying Larry and complaining that Larry got out again.

I loved Cam marching back in with Larry under his arm immediately after he got out and then saying "I'm starting to think he's unhappy living here." That was probably my favorite part of the otherwise underwhelming episode. 

James Van der Beek was pretty funny as Bo though, IIRC correctly, he played a shitty ex-boyfriend on How I Met Your Mother too. He's come a long way since Dawson. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Bazinga said:

It is referencing recent protests against Confederate statues, with "Stonewall" Tucker being a generic Confederate General type name or more particularly, Confederate General Stonewall Jackson.

I don't think it was an allusion to the Stonewall riots, IMO.

8 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Mitchell said, "Oh, Stonewall, I'm guessing his statue is no longer in the park."

The name "Stonewall" would imply that he fought for the confederacy, and recently a lot of confederate statutes have been removed from public parks.

They really got my hopes up that we'd be rid of Pam. I'm guessing we won't be rid of her until there's a reason for her to run off and leave Cam and Mitch with the baby.

Boy, do I feel silly! Thank you, fellow posters, for clarifying!!

8 hours ago, Lizzing said:

He's been doing divorces for gay couples (maybe straight ones too, though it's never been mentioned) at least since that season 7 episode where he and Cam were at a wedding and found out their dancing embarrassed Lily.  Cam blamed Mitch's divorce practice for them not getting invited to several Pepper run weddings, but it was really Lily who had declined the invites to spare her the horror of her fathers' dance moves.  

I agree the Manny taking things from the house subplot went nowhere.  I was really hoping for a payoff of him in his dorm room with some kind of swanky set up, mini gourmet kitchen and bar, or something.  Even though that would be farfetched, it would have been better than zero point to the plot, other than to have Manny in the scenes with Jay.  

My memory is TERRIBLE. I just had this general, fuzzy idea of Mitch practicing law; something really boring like patent or copyright infringement!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, qtpye said:

Edited to add: I never realized how good looking Al Bundy was.

It was nice to see younger pictures of Ed O'Neill once again.  And while we usually see him playing Jay and other comedy roles, he is a great dramatic actor as well.  You can see videos of him in "Dragnet" and he does a great job.

• Love 7

James Van Der Beek! I love whenever he pops up, he cracks me up now, and really makes the 90s kid in me smile. Even beyond that, I thought the Mitch and Cam plot was pretty good, even if it means that Cams awful sister is still around. I dont really like her or find her funny, so why is she still here? I also laughed at the cat going in and out all of the time. My cats do that a LOT. They dont actually want to be outside (inside is where the food is!) they just always want to go through any door they see. Also, is it sad that I am pretty sure that opener was the most physical chemistry I've seen from Cam and Mitch in years? 

The foot thing was super gross, although I do normally like Alex and Luke plots. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

I loved Cam marching back in with Larry under his arm immediately after he got out and then saying "I'm starting to think he's unhappy living here." That was probably my favorite part of the otherwise underwhelming episode. 

James Van der Beek was pretty funny as Bo though, IIRC correctly, he played a shitty ex-boyfriend on How I Met Your Mother too. He's come a long way since Dawson. 

James Van der Beek was awesome playing a fictionalized and hilarious version of himself in Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23  I highly recommend it if you've never seen it.

Also, I agree with you about Cam's line about Larry and otherwise being underwhelmed by the episode.  I enjoyed Bo a lot, but then Pam had to appear and ruin everything!

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 16

When they weren't able to adopt a baby boy, Lily said "if I can't have a little brother I want a cat and I want to name him Larry" - I thought it was funny because her continued insistence on naming him Larry caused Mitch to whisper to Cam "who is this Larry? Is he on a show?" and Cam just mouthed "I don't know!" I think they said once that they were on their seventh Larry.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Yes he was Simon, Robin's ex on HIMYM.  I was laughing at that memory.  Simon was quite the loser, kinda like Bo.

• Love 2

It's becoming a sitcom trope that there are loads of pervs with very specific (and nonthreatening) fetishes out there, waiting to be milked by any amateur willing to do fairly innocuous things like sweat up an article of clothing and take a picture of just her feet. And no sex industry professionals who are willing to do a lot more are camped all over it. I find this hard to believe, though I'm not really in the market for such products, so I can't say for sure.

At least on Orange is the New Black they had the "women in prison" angle to work with.

• Love 2

That was a mess of an episode -- none of the plots worked for me, although Bo came closest.  My biggest ;laugh was that the International Closet Expo would be televised... internationally.

They keep switching whether the employees at Pritchard's Closets like Jay or Claire better.  And none of the other plots went anywhere at all.  Blech.

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They keep switching whether the employees at Pritchard's Closets like Jay or Claire better. 

Yeah, one week they are incompetent idiots who hate Claire and the next week they love her. The writing on this show is so inconsistent.

Manny's plot was a waste. I didn't even get it. It made no sense. Stupid.

Although it was cartoonish, I do appreciate that we see Mitch and Cam actually have sex.

• Love 5

Only Alex and Luke were interesting. They worked together on a business, and didn’t blink at the weirdness of it. I wish we had seen more about the business as it grew.

Phil acts more like a car salesman than a real estate agent. 

I’m way over Claire, her dad and the closet business. And Pam. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Ottis said:

Only Alex and Luke were interesting. They worked together on a business, and didn’t blink at the weirdness of it. I wish we had seen more about the business as it grew.

Agreed. Weird or not, this was a great "business venture". I can see Haley getting in on it too.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2017 at 6:24 AM, hoodooznoodooz said:

I thought he was steaing booze from Jay’s bar. 

• Love 1
On 12/14/2017 at 9:09 AM, qtpye said:

When they both lunged at each other in passion, it felt very forced and cartoon like.  However, this show has always used broad comedy when it comes to sex and romance.  They once spent an entire episode trying to convince us that Gloria was hot for Jay's body and I did not believe it for a second.

Agreed. This show doesn't really do sex/passion very convincingly. The one exception I'd say is Phil and Claire - I buy them being happily in love and having a good sex life. It helps that they're both in shape and very attractive, and frequently verbally affectionate.

On 12/14/2017 at 2:11 PM, ljenkins782 said:

One of the best things about JvdB is how he doesn't take himself seriously and is more than willing to poke fun at himself/his Dawson years/the famous Dawson crying face. It's always nice to see him show up in random shows.

• Love 4
On 12/14/2017 at 1:21 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

My memory is TERRIBLE. I just had this general, fuzzy idea of Mitch practicing law; something really boring like patent or copyright infringement!

He seems to practice a lot of different law. I think he was a corporate attorney when the show first started.  At some point he went to work for that environmental firm.  He may just do divorces on the side for his friends? 

• Love 2

I get the distinct impression that the writers think Pam is this funny, quirky character....but IMO she comes off more as "undiagnosed mental disorder" than anything else. 

When they weren't able to adopt a baby boy, Lily said "if I can't have a little brother I want a cat and I want to name him Larry" - I thought it was funny because her continued insistence on naming him Larry caused Mitch to whisper to Cam "who is this Larry? Is he on a show?" and Cam just mouthed "I don't know!" I think they said once that they were on their seventh Larry.

And once when Lily was younger and Larry went missing, they didn't want to explain that he was probably dead, so they invented this whole crazy story about how he was probably off visiting his girlfriend...and Lily asked, "Why not his boyfriend?" and Mitch and Cam were all AWWW.

Edited by SnarkySheep
  • Love 3
On 12/18/2017 at 9:27 AM, joanne3482 said:

He seems to practice a lot of different law. I think he was a corporate attorney when the show first started.  At some point he went to work for that environmental firm.  He may just do divorces on the side for his friends? 

Yes, he started as corporate, then me moved to the environmental division, which he even said wasn't much different than what he did. Then all of a sudden he lost his job a few seasons later, drifted from consulting at Prichard to where ever. Then decided to start his own firm, but that didn't work out well and he joined another one as a divorce attorney, which he has done the last couple of seasons. The "Mitch" is out of work ended up bring a problem for the writers because they didn't know how to write a lawyer unemployed, especially one who could work for his father's company as a consultant, which would still pay decent money. Now, they have money problems because of Pam living upstairs. Yet, Cam has gone from unemployed, to teaching again, to conference winning football coach to not acting VP. I'm in education, and since this is public, Cam would be making up to the $60K range in California with that record. Yet, remember, people have money problems for no reason outside of they can't spend right on TV.

• Love 2
On 12/16/2017 at 0:24 AM, Tony said:

Agreed. Weird or not, this was a great "business venture". I can see Haley getting in on it too.

Yes, if the (presumably) male customers were getting tired of "seeing the same feet", why would they have Luke shave his legs and try to pass his feet off as women's feet? I would think you'd be able to tell; they should have recruited Haley for this.

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 1