Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

Jamie lives in a nice Brooklyn Heights apartment. Even if he’s renting, that’s a really expensive neighborhood. Clearly he’s not hurting for money, even with his Harvard loans. If he even had loans. Maybe frank paid for his law school tuition.

that said, I still wish he’d take the sgt exam. 

26 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

Jamie lives in a nice Brooklyn Heights apartment. Even if he’s renting, that’s a really expensive neighborhood. Clearly he’s not hurting for money, even with his Harvard loans. If he even had loans. Maybe frank paid for his law school tuition.

that said, I still wish he’d take the sgt exam. 

TV is famous for giving characters apartments that there is no way they can afford.  And I remember an early season episode where Jamie was talking about how he needed more money to pay his loans and so he was picking up extra shifts and moonlighting as a house painter.

• Love 1

@Katy M now that you mention it, I do remember that. Of course I'm sure the writers have long forgotten lol! But yeah I was quite surprised the first time they showed us Jamie's apartment. And it's a 2-bedroom no less! I couldn't even afford a studio in Brooklyn Heights and I'm sure I earn more than a patrolman!

He needs to stay on patrol, but you can promote him and not lose anything except Eddie as his partner, which is addition by subtraction IMO. I think it's a case of the limitations of the writers - they don't understand that they could tell most of the same stories as well as some badly needed new stories and that you are still keeping with the basic premise of the show as all aspects of law enforcement are still presented (admin, patrol, investigators, and the DA's office.)

I agree.  What I can't figure out is why the writers don't write more stories for Jamie.  We're all assuming that they want to keep him on patrol so the show can tell some "beat" stories, but they almost never tell any of those stories!  Since Eddie joined the show, Jamie's plot lines became all about "will they or won't they" and that's why I don't like Eddie.

RE: Jamie's apartment -- it's been noted before that he has a security side hustle and with his last name and reputation, I imagine it is lucrative. Jamie's loans are likely well paid off now. In Season Three, Jamie's place was not one he wanted to take his then-girlfriend to... I know people who lived on noodles and with no furniture to fast track loan payoff. Given my fussing about the writers and putting the show on time out as I cannot abide the JAG Harm and Mac style nonsense with Eddie or Eddie period:-), I realize the irony of this post.

On 4/29/2018 at 2:37 PM, MissLucas said:

And I found nothing sweet about Anthony telling Jack to keep away from Erin. She's not his property but a grown-up woman who can fight her own battles.

This. I hold the unpopular opinion of not liking Anthony. I started out indifferent toward him, but it grew into dislike. 

1 minute ago, Misslindsey said:

This. I hold the unpopular opinion of not liking Anthony. I started out indifferent toward him, but it grew into dislike. 

I do like Anthony, but the depths to which he Wuuuuubs Erin is getting to be a bit much. But he and Danny going at it is gold!

• Love 2

Yeah, I like Anthony's feud with Danny but other than that I tend to think of him as Erin's Gormley. That said I've found the notion that someone who's spent his life in law enforcement would not know the difference between statue and statute quite ridiculous.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Yeah, I like Anthony's feud with Danny but other than that I tend to think of him as Erin's Gormley. That said I've found the notion that someone who's spent his life in law enforcement would not know the difference between statue and statute quite ridiculous.

But he isn't a Reagan and only Reagans can be intelligent! ;P

• Love 3

Frank goes head-to-head with a data-tracking company when they refuse to unlock the phone of a terrorist that may hold information regarding upcoming targets. Also, when Erin obtains information about an impending murder from a shady source, she gets Danny and Baez involved, despite the questionable agenda of the informant, and Jamie and Eddie try to locate a woman who kidnapped a newborn baby.

So, a re-hash of the San Bernardino situation with the locked phone.

Obviously, that guy had set up the would-be hit. I just wasn't sure how they'd prove it. 

I thought Jaime was going to have to catch that baby. Good work talking her down, Eddie.

I also care more about Eddie the dog on Hawaii Five-0 than the relationship between Eddie and Jaime, but she just ditched Barry for him so it seems like they are going there.   

• Love 2

I was so hoping the tech guy would hold out. Sigh. Of course he wouldn't because Frank rarely, if ever loses.

I liked that Eddie got to be the one to save the day by talking the woman with the baby down, since usually the partners of the Reagan's are often superfluous. I also thought Jamie was going to have to catch the baby. I have said before that I do not care either way if Jamie and Eddie do or do not get together. I just wish TPTB would pick one and stick to it.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I also care more about Eddie the dog on Hawaii Five-0 than the relationship between Eddie and Jaime, but she just ditched Barry for him so it seems like they are going there.   

Eddie Murphy on SNL> Eddie the dog on Frasier > Eddie Munster> Eddie the Dog on Hawaii Five-0 > Eddie on Blue Bloods.

7 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I liked that Eddie got to be the one to save the day by talking the woman with the baby down, since usually the partners of the Reagan's are often superfluous. I also thought Jamie was going to have to catch the baby. I have said before that I do not care either way if Jamie and Eddie do or do not get together. I just wish TPTB would pick one and stick to it.

I don't particularly car either I just want less Eddie and Jamie period. They have no on screen chemistry (both Erin & Anthony and Danny and Baez make better pairs) and I would be equally annoyed to see lots of Eddie as Jamie's girlfriend/wife as I would seeing them doing the endless UST thing. Actually at this point I'd kind of like to see them get married quickly so that she can die the tragic early death that is de rigueur for the wives of Reagan men.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I have said before that I do not care either way if Jamie and Eddie do or do not get together. I just wish TPTB would pick one and stick to it.

I agree.  I think they're finally going to go for it with that whole "You don't know what you've got until it's gone" statement by the young father.  What I don't like is Eddie lying to her boyfriend to spend time with Jamie.  That's not cool.  Not even a little bit.  I also don't like the whole "only two people in the same profession can possibly succeed in a relationship" suggestion.

• Love 3
(edited)

Eddie's the romantic equivalent of Jamie's career path. An option never taken but always on the table. And it gets tedious. I don't mind Eddie as a character because she has none - her character is defined by the week's plot. I wonder if her taking the Sergeant's exam is the writers setting up the next big stumbling block for their relationship.

Baker was unnecessarily rude to Kelly Peterson, I think she has spent too much time in Frank's halo. 

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I was so hoping the tech guy would hold out. Sigh. Of course he wouldn't because Frank rarely, if ever loses.

I saw it as a compromise.  In the end, all the tech guy did was give Frank the name of a hacker who was capable of breaking into the phone.  Yes, it's true that Frank rarely loses.  He is the star of the show.  

3 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I don't particularly car either I just want less Eddie and Jamie period. They have no on screen chemistry

IMO they have great chemistry.  I miss them in episodes when Jamie only shows up for dinner.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, babs1226 said:

I saw it as a compromise.  In the end, all the tech guy did was give Frank the name of a hacker who was capable of breaking into the phone.  Yes, it's true that Frank rarely loses.  He is the star of the show.  

That's also how the San Bernardino iPhone was handled. The FBI hired hackers to get into the phone. Apple didn't give into their demands. 

When Frank said his phone was steam powered, I thought for a second Steam was the name of the operating system the phone was running and I was confused for a second. Why are they invtenting an operating system and why are they making Frank more tech savy than we would expected him to be? I then realized he was making a joke about his Blackberry, so I went back (thank you DVRs) to see which model it was. It was the Blackberry Classic. 

(edited)
4 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

All of that plus Vinny Cruz > Eddie Janko! 

We were comparing Eddies, but I remember Vinny. I didn't care for him at first, but got to like him by the time he was killed off at the end of Season 3. Wow, that was 5 years ago. We've had Eddie since then. 

Edited by DrScottie
20 hours ago, babs1226 said:

IMO they have great chemistry.  I miss them in episodes when Jamie only shows up for dinner.

Agree - if they had that CEO fully give in and build Frank all access pass I would have been pissed.  And both CEO and Frank were right, he needed to get in that phone, he didn't need that company to do (unpaid) work for the government and spend time and man hours creating a way that the phone could be accessed.  At least this way all the CEO did was provide the name to save Frank some time searching for the right hacker for the job.  I usually don't care if the show skims along current events for their plots but this one was skimming a little too close; if Frank had actually gotten the CEO on his side it really would have been taking it to far.

Jamie and Eddie?  They just need to get on with it; they know, we know, heck the whole precinct probably knows.  Maybe the Sargent's exam was the set up for them to get together next season, she passes and they're not partners anymore.  Does that mean we'd get future plots where one or both of them have an issue with her being his superior since he won't move on from beat cop?

(edited)

After six wrongly convicted men are released from prison, Danny and Baez believe they could be responsible for a series of drive-by shootings and murders; Frank struggles with his guilt over the nine years in prison the men were forced to serve.

Edited by Jaded

I really liked this episode.  I wish they had had this high of quality all throughout the season.  I'm glad they finally made a choice with Jamie and Eddie.  I'm not glad that they are still going to be partners. they've been saying for 6,000 years that the reason they weren't going to date was because they couldn't be partners, and there was even another episode with another couple that they warned.  Doesn't seem like something everybody would just be assuming.  Maybe they could have made it where they could work in the same precinct but not be partners.

And, even though, I obviously knew Jamie wasn't going to die or anything, my heart was really pounding during that scene where Sorrento was stalking him to shoot him.  It was really shot in a good, suspenseful way.  A little convenient that a hit man who was able to easily kill 5 other victims, one of those also a cop, was so easily thwarted by ducking, but I'll take it.

I teared up a bit when Danny was talking to Linda's gravestone.

• Love 15

What an awesome episode!  I was sorry to see Monica get killed, but the case was really interesting, and the scene of Eddy and Jamie after the shooting was very well played and just awesome.  Even better was Jamie bringing Eddy to family dinner and their announcement.  They were so sweet together, and it was fun seeing the whole Reagan clan speechless, if only briefly.  After the crap way this season started, it was great to have a happy ending in the finale. 

• Love 13

I really liked it too. I like Jamie and Eddie together. I know I have been in the minority. 

Problem with the weather continuity. It was snowing at the beginning but not later. In Miami Danny said It was snowing in N.Y.  but it wasn't right after during the shootout. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

I really liked it too. I like Jamie and Eddie together. I know I have been in the minority. 

Maybe in this forum you're in the minority, but the reaction on FB was mostly positive and happy about them finally getting together.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, GussieK said:

Problem with the weather continuity. It was snowing at the beginning but not later.

Now that it can be told...filming took place between March 23 and April 4th.   NYC got hit with a freak snow shower on April 2nd which is when they filmed the cemetery scenes. By the next day. the snow had mostly melted.  Most of the outdoor scenes involving Jamie and Eddie was filmed the week before. 

I was on set for a few days so I was aware of Eddie being at family dinner, but I didn't know that they were engaged so I was like "HUH? Oh...ok."   I'm still meh on the pairing but it does brings a new wrinkle to things even though it seems that no remembers when Jamie's first fiancee was at the dinner table early season 1, including the writers. 

Good start to the season, good end to the season, but the middle left a lot to be desired.  Then again, most of the post mortems say that you need shows like these that are just consistent in this landscape, especially for procedurals.. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Now that it can be told...filming took place between March 23 and April 4th.   NYC got hit with a freak snow shower on April 2nd which is when they filmed the cemetery scenes. By the next day. the snow had mostly melted.  Most of the outdoor scenes involving Jamie and Eddie was filmed the week before. 

Yeah, I live in NYC myself.  I experienced that freak snowstorm!  I have never seen them filming this show around town.  I think they would have been fine editing wise if they hadn't had Danny say it was still snowing in NY. 

• Love 5

When TPTB first started pairing Jamie and Eddy, I didn't like it, but over several seasons, it seems to have developed more naturally.  When Jamie showed up late (again) to family dinner, I was hoping she would be with him.  The engagement left me surprised! And pleased!

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, GussieK said:

Yeah, I live in NYC myself.  I experienced that freak snowstorm!  I have never seen them filming this show around town.  I think they would have been fine editing wise if they hadn't had Danny say it was still snowing in NY. 

I don't know that saying "It's snowing in NY" necessarily means that it's snowing right this instant.  Just that it's still snow season, as opposed to Miami, which is almost never ever ever snow season.

I would have liked some reaction from the family that Jamie was shot at.  It can't be that ho hum just because they're cops can it?

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Maybe they could have made it where they could work in the same precinct but not be partners.

I hope this is how it goes next season. I don't want to watch scenes of Jamie or Eddy deviating from their cop roles mid-crime because one is worried about the other -- followed by a fight back at the precinct of, "You embarrassed me! Let me do my job! I don't need you protecting me!" and "You're right -- I got caught up in the moment. It won't happen again."

• Love 4

Does this mean Eddie just signed her own death warrant?  None of the Reagan wives seem to survive...

All kidding aside, it was a fine finale.  I really don't care about Jamie/Eddie one way or another, but I was getting tired of the "will they/won't they" story line.  It dragged on way too long.  

Frank's mustache makes it really difficult to tell if he is happy or not.  I got the sense he was not pleased.

• Love 7

I cringed during the exchange of vows at the dinner table. Eek. 

It's OK with me, and true-to-life, for the male and female cop to fall in love and decide to get married. It will not be OK with me, at all, if they remain partners next season. Talk about special treatment for the son of the PC! No matter if it is a written rule or not, the entire department would be up in arms if Jamie is allowed to get engaged to Eddie and continue being her partner.

The writers need to get creative to keep the stories for both Eddie and Jamie interesting without blatantly throwing all rules and common sense and command judgement out the window. Maybe Eddie gets pregnant right away, so Sid brings her to One PP to be his assistant for a season, and she does some creative internet research that helps save the day on a tough case, and she makes detective. Jamie could get promoted to sergeant, and spend a season street-training a couple of rookies.

There will be plenty of time at Sunday dinners for Jamie and Eddie to coo like lovebirds.

• Love 10

And just putting aside cop rules and safety, I don't think it would be good for any marriage to be together 24/7, which is basically what would happen if they were partners and married.  And, even if it isn't a written rule, I imagine if higher ups want to reassign them, they can reassign them.  I can't imagine Jamie (or Eddie) wanting to make a big fuss and fighting something that they maybe could fight technically.  It just wouldn't look good to everyone else, and I imagine as the commissioner's son, Jamie gets more attention then he would generally like anyway.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Woodrose said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one, but I was literally gagging at the cheesefest dinner scene.  Bleeeegh!  Absolutely nauseating!

I am fine with Eddy and Jaimie getting together.  It's been coming for a long time and it's nice to see them actually follow through. BUT, they go from hugging in the street to being engaged?? WTH??  No dating at all? That's just weird.

• Love 6

I did a lot of eyerolling during that.  I guess they did it in case the show was not renewed and the viewers never got to see the wedding.  I don't like Eddie, but after the departure of Amy Carlson I think they almost had to go there because it looks weird for the entire family to be without a significant other.  I really thought they were going to get Jack and Erin back together, but that would be adding another man to the table so I guess that wasn't going to happen.  Maybe they will do that next season, though.

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I am fine with Eddy and Jaimie getting together.  It's been coming for a long time and it's nice to see them actually follow through. BUT, they go from hugging in the street to being engaged?? WTH??  No dating at all? That's just weird.

I knew a couple who went from being friends to engaged without dating. To be fair they broke up well before the wedding, but still, the engagement happened.

Yeah I found it odd that they are engaged without dating. Who does that? Plus Jamie introduced Eddy as Mrs Jamison Reagan. Way to lose her entire name.

• Love 4

I did not quite pick up the timeline from the point the Prospect Park 6 were released to the day of the show, but, based on the pushy reporter at the beginning, it seemed like it literally just happened. Consequently, NO ONE would get their 5 million dollars that fast. I also liked the ongoing dialogue between Jamie and Eddie about how they would spend 5 million dollars. Who hasn't done that when talking with a friend about powerball or a lottery? Made them seem more human.

5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Frank's mustache makes it really difficult to tell if he is happy or not.  I got the sense he was not pleased.

Couldn't agree more with the mustache comment! When no words are spoken, an actor's face should be able to convey the emotion. In this case, the actor's mustache was not talking. I also felt he wasn't happy about it.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, GustheCat said:

Who hasn't done that when talking with a friend about powerball or a lottery? Made them seem more human.

I also liked how Eddie was complaining about Jamie wanting a motorcycle because she doesn't like motorcycles, and he was insisting his fantasy was his fantasy.  They were already fighting like an old married couple, LOL.  

• Love 4

Triumph was also a car company that made cute sports cars, It went out of business in 1981, but a classic car is what you would splurge on.

I thought Eddie’s speech about hearing a voice would have been thought to have been either Joe (more likely) or Linda (more recent) looking out for their brother.

And was that a picture of Teddy Roosevelt behind Frank in his office?  They have the same mustache.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Woodrose said:

The writers need to get creative to keep the stories for both Eddie and Jamie interesting without blatantly throwing all rules and common sense and command judgement out the window. Maybe Eddie gets pregnant right away, so Sid brings her to One PP to be his assistant for a season, and she does some creative internet research that helps save the day on a tough case, and she makes detective. Jamie could get promoted to sergeant, and spend a season street-training a couple of rookies.

There will be plenty of time at Sunday dinners for Jamie and Eddie to coo like lovebirds.

All of this works for me.

I can't wait to see Eddie at the family dinners. Do you think she'll find herself on the same side as Danny or arguing with him? 

44 minutes ago, trivianerd said:

Triumph was also a car company that made cute sports cars, It went out of business in 1981, but a classic car is what you would splurge on.

And was that a picture of Teddy Roosevelt behind Frank in his office?  They have the same mustache.

Triumph made motercycles. I think that's what Brando's character rode in The Wild One. 

Frank does have a picture of Teddy Roosevelt behind Frank in his office.

I liked the exchange of vows at the table. It means the show can skip all of the wedding planning craziness and pick up next season with the two of them already married. She doesn't strike me as the type who wants a big fancy crazy wedding. I can picture her wanting a small, simple ceremony with close friends and family. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

I can't wait to see Eddie at the family dinners. Do you think she'll find herself on the same side as Danny or arguing with him? 

As soon as Danny goes after Jamie, she will jump in like a mother hen.  I don't think she's smart enough like Linda was to stay out of it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

As soon as Danny goes after Jamie, she will jump in like a mother hen.  I don't think she's smart enough like Linda was to stay out of it.

After she does that, I can see Jamie saying something like that  "In car a few days ago you agreed with him." I think this next idea may be even better: we see Jamie and Eddie in the car on the way to dinner and he tells her not to defend him. He makes it clear that he can handle it and that she should say what she really thinks. When there's a disagreement, Eddie sides with Danny and even Jamie is surprised by how strongly she feels about the issue. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

BUT, they go from hugging in the street to being engaged?? WTH??  No dating at all? That's just weird.

Ordinarily, yes, it's weird.  In their case, though, they've been partners for years and have known they have feelings for each other for a really long time.  They also know each other really well.  It's really not much of a stretch in that situation, imo.

• Love 10

Thank you show for not wounding Jamie or making this any sort of cliffhanger.  Nice ending to the season.

Jamie and Edie:  About damn time.

Engagement announcement at dinner:  Thought it was weird and fast, they just started dating.  Then I remembered, technically they've been "dating" for years, they've gone out socially alone and in groups, they've talked about their lives on duty and off, they've even stayed at each others apartments (platonic we suppose).  They probably know more about each other than most couples.  They were just missing the "I Love You" part.

Cuteness factor: Of course when she popped around the corner and took his hand.  But Jamie's admission of love "I'd spend the five million on you" was a good moment.

I don't think Frank was completely pleased and this next is definitely IMHO but..........I think he really likes Edie, I think any hesitation or disapproval of them as a couple is because she's also a cop.  He lost one son, he lost a daughter in law who while not in law enforcement was still a public servant.  He's seen that same DIL and himself shot and his family put in danger more than once because of their profession.  Now he gets a new DIL and I think what he sees is the potential for tragedy for her or Jamie; those are just the odds.  So being Frank he's going to worry but also being Frank he's going to give that smile and not say anything to the kids.

• Love 7

Well, since I was growing more than a bit tired of the whole 'will-they/won't-they' thing  I can't complain they finally committed although it felt awfully rushed. And I'm having doubts on many fronts about them remaining partners but we'll see. Nevertheless solid episode and a good season finale.

• Love 5