Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8 Discussion

CooperTV
  • Start Topic

This is the first episode I've really liked in  a while.  But, I still have some complaints.

1. They really need to either poop or get off the pot with Jamie and Eddie already.

2. Erin, your ex is right.  Everyone deserves a defense.  She used to know things like that.

3.  I really don't understand how Erin's ex (sorry I forget his name) could think it was better for his client that it was a premeditated gang shooting. Someone really has to explain that to me, because to me it sounds worse than something that just happened in the heat of the moment.

4.  That mayor was just awful.  Way to needlessly fan the flames with an accusation that hadn't been made by anyone. Just some crazy theory on her part.  Let's go straight to the press with that on a whim without even looking into anything.  That will make things great. 

• Love 5

They have had poor Jamie jogging in place for the whole series both professionally and personally.  And its a shame how that mayor had basically bow down to Frank, it was pathetic.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mommalib said:

They have had poor Jamie jogging in place for the whole series both professionally and personally.  And its a shame how that mayor had basically bow down to Frank, it was pathetic.

After she tried to create a war between the public and the police, she should have done something.  Tht's for sure.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

This is the first episode I've really liked in  a while.  But, I still have some complaints.

Me too.  The new mayor is obnoxious, but it looks like she's a 1 season and done character.

3.  I really don't understand how Erin's ex (sorry I forget his name) could think it was better for his client that it was a premeditated gang shooting. Someone really has to explain that to me, because to me it sounds worse than something that just happened in the heat of the moment.

I think he thought they could catch a bigger fish if they could get the killer to tell the whole story.  I don't think that would be true in the real world; there's no way a cop killer would only get 25 years.

• Love 3

Well, looks like Frank has outlived yet another mayor. What are the odds the next one will be a fully fleshed-out character who will occasionally best St. Francis because s/he is in the right?

*crickets*

Well at least Erin apologized to her Ex but, freaking out at him because he was actually doing his job was definitely a heart-warming Reagan moment. The plot was written with a sledge-hammer.

Jaimie's love-life is becoming as riveting as his professional career *yawn* 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I really don't understand how Erin's ex (sorry I forget his name) could think it was better for his client that it was a premeditated gang shooting. Someone really has to explain that to me, because to me it sounds worse than something that just happened in the heat of the moment.

If it was premiditated, then they could try to get him to turn in people higher up in the gang, and then Erin's ex (Jack) might be able to get him a reduced sentence because he cooperated.   

• Love 2

Erin should date Abetemarco not her boring ex who no one even remembers his name.

Jamie and Eddie should've been married long ago... it's no longer interesting the will they or won't they dragged on for eight years.

Danny should date that woman advocate for her son as they share the loss of a loved one bond.

Odd couples create new fresh storylines...

• Love 1

I'm so tired of the Eddie and Jamie.  Just ask for different partners and start dating. No, Jamie should not tell Eddie his feelings while they are still work partners, Erin. And especially not in the precinct at their desks.

The woman who plays the mayor has an annoying voice, not easy to understand.  I can't believe she has a career as an actor. The mayor totally deserved to see the backs of the cops.

I enjoyed the Danny story of resolving the 153-day-old murder case. The last scene with the grieving Mom was special.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Woodrose said:

The woman who plays the mayor has an annoying voice, not easy to understand.  I can't believe she has a career as an actor. The mayor totally deserved to see the backs of the cops.

Lorraine Bracco: best known for her performances as Dr. Jennifer Melfi on The Sopranos, and as Karen Hill in Goodfellas, for which she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I enjoyed this episode a little more than usual as it was filmed in my neighborhood in Queens. 

The mayor’s poorly spoken words at the presser,  and the officers turning their back on the mayor at the wake mirrored a similar incident a few years ago involving NYPD and the current mayor after two officers were targeted, ambushed, and shot for being NYPD. 

The scenes between Erin and her ex, Jack Boyle were good as were those among Jamie, Eddie and her boyfriend. Erin’s encouragement of Jamie pursuing Eddie seemed OOC for Erin, especially given the recent events with Jack Boyle.  She more than anyone could advise Jamie of the perils of romantic relationships within your work. 

Danny and Anthony’s antagonism was comic yet productive. Danny was at his best speaking with the mother, and their final scene together was probably my favorite moment of the episode. 

• Love 1

Watching now. Eddie gets shot in the vest- is basically unhurt( in real life I know it’s more serious )... she gets a personal visit from the police commissioner and an offer of any assignment she wanted. Danny’s partner gets accidentally overdosed on the job, in a coma for a  week, and doesn’t see the commissioner at all, and doesn’t get any job consideration. Writers, please be consistent.

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm done with Eddie! After her lecture to Jamie when she was jealous of the women Jamie was dating and then the women he helped out from the streets. Jamie has lived up to the no other women while Eddie has snuck and hidden(till caught) a little punk named Barry and expects everyone to feel sorry! She broke her own  arrangement , she also was given an opportunity in this show to transfer yet she turned  it down because she was happy where she was at!  I feel they are phasing Eddie out(thank god) because her other commitments and shows. I always enjoyed Eddie but she always finds a way of making an arse of herself. This women has expected Jamie to be loyal to her yet she is out there dating as usual  when she should have told Jamie about Barry before she started and not later. She isn't even a good partner because she did not inform him of Barry before Jamie was placed in an awkward position ! She only thinks of herself!

Edited by ASTROS
  • Love 1
On 4/7/2018 at 10:07 PM, preeya said:

Lorraine Bracco: best known for her performances as Dr. Jennifer Melfi on The Sopranos, and as Karen Hill in Goodfellas, for which she was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress.

I have a friend named Karen and I say her name the way Henry said her name when she flushed the coke down the toilet.  Kaaaaaaaran.  Sorry this is so OT, but it makes me giggle.  

• Love 1

First off I thought Maria Baez looked good in that dress when she was undercover at the club. I also liked when she told Danny to leave the room when she wanted to talk to Jimmy O'Shea. But we find-out that they probably set it up ahead of time. It would have been nicer that Danny notices that Maria did a good thing, and says something like, "I wish you would have clued me in on what you were doing, Partner!" Even though we know that "Reagan" does many things and Baez has no clue what he is thinking until later. Danny was pretty hard on Jimmy, but he did use his and Linda's names and info. on bogus credit cards so Mo and Rustam can charge merchandise and sell it for their business. I liked seeing Jimmy have problems when he was bugged at the club. He isn't a professional, and most people in that situation would freeze up or whatever. Especially when he asked what they would do with the cards, I knew he was in trouble.

The story with Uncle Lenny Ross being drugged and set up for killing the Bouncer and Dancer was a little confusing. I guess he had helped put former partner Sal Cardozza out of a job. Then his son Mickey,(liked him in Spin City), tried for revenge. I would definitely think a blood test on Lenny would show he was doped. I liked that Frank asked Erin and Anthony to investigate it. Erin should know dad would not ask to go easy on anything. Even though it was nice for Erin to confront him about missing files in the original case files. Lucky it was before Henry was in charge. Convenient maybe. Nice that Crystal Harper spilled the beans on smart mouthed Mickey. Did like that Frank told Lenny later about his expired gun permit.

Watching other cops shows also told me that when Tariq Ali(per IMDB/CBS),(I though that Jamie called him Mr. Lamb? Undercover name maybe?)talked to Jamie about being deep undercover and his handlers not contacting him often, that maybe the Mosk/Church group he was in(not sure what to name it), was sent to move into NYC and maybe draw out terrorists? I think they had just moved to that area. I figured that the Protestors weren't the reasons that they put him deep under cover, and for the most part would eventually blow over. As to who planted the bomb on the bus, with it being a bus that probably drove the group around it could be thought to be a protestor, blaming it on the others But no one was arrested. Not even the head of the protest Bob was questioned. I liked that Tariq helped Jamie disarm the bomb. Nice the red was the simple wire to cut. Thought maybe head protestor would thank him, but glad the 2 groups didn't skip off arm in arm humming after that. On other cop shows people would be questioned. Also some might think that Tariq set the bomb himself to be easy to disarm, and that his handlers would contact him. But then he would probably be kept under deep cover because someone actually did set a bomb in area. So now with him moved then they would have someone else watch for more terrorism in area? Or will they have a reoccurring Bomb threat to solve over several episodes? Probably not, we won't hear about it again, and won't hear from Tariq again. I liked when he came to tell Jamie about his transfer and thank him for his help. Then after Jamie told him he didn't do anything and it was all Teriq, then I thought Eddie would have said he left, "Why didn't you tell him you talked to someone about him?" But nope. Because I would think with the bomb threat he would not have a reason to be moved.  

The Easter dinner was nice. It did parallel, as is sometimes the case, all 3 story lines. Also liked Henry saying, "No one is perfect!"

Woodrose wrote:

"I'm so tired of the Eddie and Jamie.  Just ask for different partners and start dating. No, Jamie should not tell Eddie his feelings while they are still work partners, Erin. And especially not in the precinct at their desks."

I thought it was odd that the commissioner would visit Eddie and then offer to give her any assignment she wanted.  For getting shot?  What did she do that was so special?  I can't think of any reason other than this is a way out in a future episode for Eddie to transfer out so she and Jamie can get together.  

Of course, if he FINALLY gets a much deserved, but long delayed promotion, that also would solve their "but we're working together and can't date" problem.  But why would the NYPD want to promote or transfer an experienced cop who is a Harvard Law school grad and is the son and grandson of former and current police commissioners?  Right?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, buckboard said:

But why would the NYPD want to promote or transfer an experienced cop who is a Harvard Law school grad and is the son and grandson of former and current police commissioners?  Right?

That has to wait until one of the next generation ( or their spouse) is ready to take his place on patrol.   Otherwise the show can’t say the Reagans represent multiple levels of the police force.  

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

That has to wait until one of the next generation ( or their spouse) is ready to take his place on patrol.   Otherwise the show can’t say the Reagans represent multiple levels of the police force.  

They had that subplot of Nicky potentially filling that role a few episodes ago. There's also Jack or Sean that could serve in that capacity. 

On 4/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, buckboard said:

But why would the NYPD want to promote or transfer an experienced cop who is a Harvard Law school grad and is the son and grandson of former and current police commissioners?  Right?

The explanation given on the show is that everyone who is in a position to promote Jamie is worried it will come off as trying to curry favor with the boss. They know that in theory/for the most part, he wants them to treat Jamie like anyone else, expect that it gets tricky with promotion. 

On 4/9/2018 at 2:24 PM, DrScottie said:

They had that subplot of Nicky potentially filling that role a few episodes ago. There's also Jack or Sean that could serve in that capacity. 

It will be a few more years before Jack or Sean could be rookies. You have to be older than 18 and have some college or military experience. 

• Love 1

Danny and Baez race to find a missing girl who will die within 72 hours without her heart medication. Also, Jamie and Eddie are on the wrong side of an investigation after engaging in a car chase, Frank, Garrett and Gormley investigate the rise in the settlement of lawsuits against cops, and Sean wins an essay contest and receives a medal from former New York City mayor David Dinkins.

From the description I thought this episode might be more interesting then it's turning out to be. I don't think they were thinking about long term acting skills when they hired those kids who play Danny and Linda's boys. I know that's been discussed previously.

• Love 3

I honestly don't know why I'm trying to watch this show again. I don't blame Amy Carlson for leaving at all. A lot of us seem bored watching this mess which makes me think that it must be worse to film if your character isn't a chosen Reagan. 

• Love 6

Aside from the more obvious call back to the pilot about Danny shoving heads into toilets, much like the first episode...it also dealt with a missing girl that needed medications to survive or she would die.  I admittedly didn't see the plot twist about the parents owning money to loan sharks though.

1 hour ago, highway61 said:

Hey, look! Jamie is a natural as a lawyer. Who knew?

It's like the writers somewhat remembered that he went law school!  

• Love 4

I liked the conversation about rising kids and responsibilities it brings along - but the rest was pretty meh. I was momentarily excited to see Bebe Neuwirth's character return but of course she was then once again thrown under the bus of St. Francis.

• Love 3

Any episode with a description that includes Eddie immediately goes to the back burner for me, to watch when I don’t have anything else appealing on my DVR. Guess I’m not watching the next episode either for a while. Of course I’m here reading up on all the snark! 

I don't know that you could call that a high speed chase. It seemed like Jamie and Eddie no more than got in their car and started driving that the accident happened.  So, they, at least, were never doing high speeds.  IMO, if they want to make us think about controversial issues, they need to make some of the issues more controversial.  

I do agree with Frank, though.  Each incident needs to be looked at separately.  The cops aren't always right, but they aren't always wrong, either.  

And the lawyer not having a license seemed like an unnecessary wrinkle.

30 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Did anyone else lose the first part of the show due to something.  I'm guessing it was Hawaii 5-0 showing but I didn't see when Blue Bloods was starting or not.  On demand is messe up also...

I went to watch it last night, but Hawaii 5-0 was still on, so I just watched it OnDemand.  My OnDemand was fine.

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

The shows were delayed due to someone making a national live statement about missile strikes.

Yes, NBC did not run the shows late but CBS did.  NBC started Dateline "already in progress."  CBS ran the shows late, so I too am watching On Demand, since my DVR recording lacked the ending. 

Now as to the plot.  So Danny really beat up that guy while everyone sat by and listened?  Oy. 

Wow, they got Mayor Dinkins to appear as himself! 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1

So there is a case of a new heart girl murdered by the mob and not only don't they bring in the FBI and all the police in the entire country, but they leave the biggest dufas ever to be the police, Danny, in charge/

And Frank's son is going down and it isn't news?

hookedontv, in both episodes Eddie was mostly just a plot point and the plots do not really center around her.  In this episode, the plot was more about the shooting of police officers and the Mayor throwing the police under the proverbial bus.  Basically, her being shot becomes a Frank and the PD vs. the Mayor story with Lorraine Bracco more front and center then Eddie.  There is some Jamie/Eddie/random third wheel in a triangle relationship tension that you can fast forward through.  In the next episode, Jamie and Eddie are called on the carpet for injuring an innocent bystander during a car chase.  Jamie does most of the heavy lifting between the two.  Though Eddie gets some screen time in both episodes, it is not all about her and you probably would be able to watch mostly unbothered by her.  These episodes are in no way Eddie-centric, in my opinion.

Edited by Bazinga

To me it did seem that Jack Boyle thought also that he and Erin could catch a bigger fish in the gang if shooter Malcolm James would talk. Luckily they didn't solve it by the end of episode. But they should work together on it to finally bring someone in. Did they arrest Risa the girl friend in the argument also? I did like Jack telling Erin about everyone needing a fair shake. Then him telling her about the Reagan way. Forgot exactly how he worded it. But I did figure when Jack told about his wedding picture that he missed those days. Maybe they will get back together, or at-least be friends again? Sure most Reagan men don't care for Jack but...

Jamie and Eddies case, which ofcourse is part of Erins/Jacks case. But Eddie being shot surprised me. But she was hit in the vest, Officer Andrew John Dunleevy was shot in the head. I was surprised that Jamie thought he was still alive. But being a Firefighter/EMS you always have that hope. I figured he would be moved by Eddie being hit. He trying to talk to her when her bf Barry Cooper kept showing up was very awkward. It was nice that he was the one who dumped her when she talked to much about Jamie. But it could happen again. I know they have feelings for each other, Eddie and Jamie,(and most of you here don't want it), but Erin pointing out to Jamie about loosing her with out her knowing his feelings is true.  But ofcourse Jamie will hide his feelings and Eddies time with Barry will run it's course. Either they will break up, or all of a sudden he will want to marry, and she will be unsure. It was nice for Frank to visit her in the hospital. The wake was sobering.
It was nice for the family men to all be in uniform at the dinner after, and the talk ofcourse paralleled all the story lines together.  

Danny's case, Janay Brown(her and Danny might make a good pair), and her son, Amir Christopher Browns unsolved murder. I do think that Danny solved it to easily, but the gun in the drain helped a lot. I do wish when he and Anthony, and Baez dug in the crud in the drain that one of the others found it. it just seems to often Danny does anything important, and the others are there for smart remarks. I do wish also that we would have seen an interview with Amir's buddy Jordon Robblis(sp). I figured using Detective work 101, that when Janay said Amir was at club with Jordon, he was more then likely the killer. Like at times Danny and Erin arguing about the cases, and then Anthony and Danny's jabs at each other at times are cute too. I did like the game night at end with Danny reflecting on all the members being happy playing a Linda tradition. It is nice when he smiles. I almost thought that Janay Brown would be at the door. But not all problems can be solved so soon.
Franks story. Yes at the press conference for the announcement of Officer Dunleevys murder, Mayor(still want to say Poole), Maggie Dutton(Liked her in Rizzoli And Isles), did speak wrong, but it seemed like she wanted to put everyone at ease and not cause tensions. But as we know she did in the Police and in the public. I hope the news of the murder being for a gang initiation would calm the public. But Mayor Dutton definitely saw at the wake that she made the NYPD not like her. It does seem like she won't stick around, but you never know. Frank may just at election time, back her. It will probably be a decision he makes after we see who her opponents are. She did bow to him, basically. But I like that Sid, Garrett and Baker all have their opinions on things too.

I myself liked Erin and her first investigator, the one before Anthony, but can't remember his name.

When Danny resorts to asking his incarcerated archenemy, Victor Lugo, for help locating a dangerous criminal who escaped from prison, Lugo refuses to assist unless he's allowed to accompany them on the pursuit. Also, Frank subtly tries to convince Jamie to take the sergeant's test, and Erin's plan to go on a date with her ex-husband causes friction between her and Anthony.

Edited by wknt3

Sounds like there might finally be an episode that gets a reaction from me other than meh for the first time in a while! Even if it 's a negative one where they come up with some BS reason why Jamie decides not to take the exam and they spend most of the show with Danny and Victor Lugo and give us hardly any Erin and Anthony after all which may be most likely given their track record. And who knows maybe they'll actually move in the direction we've all been telling them they should go for a few years now (promoting Jamie, but keeping him in uniform) and spend time on a personal relationship between colleagues plot involving two great actors with actual on screen chemistry?

I just don't get Jamie.  What's with him not wanting to advance in the department?  Is he afraid of people thinking any promotion is nepotism?  

Anthony is in love with Erin, but it looks like the writers might be sending her back to Jack?  I hope not. 

8 hours ago, iwasish said:

What’s with Edie? First she tells Frank she can’t confirm or deny that Jamie will or wont take the exam and then tells him exactly that. 

I imagine she also thinks Jamie should take the exam, but she can't push him, but was hoping Frank could.

9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just don't get Jamie.  What's with him not wanting to advance in the department?

Maybe it's a rebellion thing.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I just don't get Jamie.  What's with him not wanting to advance in the department?  Is he afraid of people thinking any promotion is nepotism?  

Even if he did become a sergeant, that wouldn't take him off the street entirely, would it?  He had a great mentor in his early years in the department, Nicholas Turturro as Sgt. Renzulli.  He could base his actions on his sergeant; I think that would help others just graduating the academy.

I don't think Anthony is in love with Erin; I think he's more like the big brother who is protective of her.  Someone who is much nicer to her than her brother Danny.  Glad Jack wasn't two-timing her, but still think their possibly getting back together is not a good idea.

• Love 5

Jamie has made it clear on more than one occasion that he loves his job, he knows he’s good at it, and he’s happy being on the streets. He hasn’t shown any desire to do administrative work or be behind a desk. He’d be good at whatever he does (of course!) - choosing a different path than the one others think he should be on doesn’t make him wrong. It makes me sad that his family isn’t more supportive of him.

Back off, Frank.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, jaimesommers said:

Jamie has made it clear on more than one occasion that he loves his job, he knows he’s good at it, and he’s happy being on the streets. He hasn’t shown any desire to do administrative work or be behind a desk. He’d be good at whatever he does (of course!) - choosing a different path than the one others think he should be on doesn’t make him wrong. It makes me sad that his family isn’t more supportive of him.

Back off, Frank.  

Also, some people just don't like to be in charge.  I've had two supervisory positions and crashed and burned at both of them, though I was totally competent at the job I held before in each case.  Why?  Because I don't like telling other people what to do and it showed and therefore I couldn't garner any respect.  Not saying that's the case with Jamie, of course, but there could be valid reasons he doesn't want to be a sergeant other than just general orneriness. 

However, I don't know if Jamie's paid off his Harvard debt yet.  I imagine a sergeant makes more money, so that is an important consideration if he still has loans hanging over his head.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Probably. It's also possible he really is happy where he is and does not want a promotion. He explained it pretty well to Frank in the earlier conversation Jamie referenced in this episode. 

11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Even if he did become a sergeant, that wouldn't take him off the street entirely, would it?  He had a great mentor in his early years in the department, Nicholas Turturro as Sgt. Renzulli.  He could base his actions on his sergeant; I think that would help others just graduating the academy.

I love this idea. I really want to see Jamie advance and see what he is like in a leadership position. As you pointed out, Renzulli had a leadership role and was still at street level. 

• Love 2

Jamie suffers from youngest child in an ambitious family syndrome. I might not achieve what they did and I don’t want to fail- so dont try.  

He didnt even try to be a practicing lawyer after getting his degree, he won’t even try to get his name on the sgt list.

Yes he’s great at what he does . He’s also paying 7 years of student loans. He even volunteered to help pay his nephews college if they need it. Nephews whose parents struggled to pay the bills even when there were  two of them with good jobs.  Jamie needs to open his eyes and realize he needs to make more money if/when he has a family of his own. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I've had two supervisory positions and crashed and burned at both of them, though I was totally competent at the job I held before in each case.  Why?  Because I don't like telling other people what to do and it showed and therefore I couldn't garner any respect. 

13 hours ago, jaimesommers said:

He hasn’t shown any desire to do administrative work or be behind a desk.

That's me as well.  It's not like I dont have the opportunity to advance in my career in the leadership role, except I really have no desire to take on more responsibilities.  I know I work a lot better than a team player than expecting to have people follow my lead.  But I wouldn't mind the eventual twist of him becoming a sergeant less due to the peer pressure of the family and more "Harvard Law? Yeah, I would like to pay that off a wee bit faster."  

It was nice to see Erin being happy for more than a few minutes, even if it's trying to mend fences with Jack  (who is so pretty to look at anyway so works for me!)   Anthony "last name who no one can pronounce so it will become the running gag of this show now" was showing concern and thought he saw something so he was looking out for her.

I can't even remember which cop killer they were referring to for Danny's case until I had to scroll through previous threads. 

• Love 2

Once again the show is trying to tell me that New York is the size of Walnut Grove - of course the car bumping into Anthony's Cutlass belongs to Jack. What are the odds? I don't mind Erin dating her ex - the fact that all (male) Reagans dislike him is actually a recommendation. But that whole plot was stupid starting with Erin pulling that teenager move of 'you can say if you don't like him' followed by some intense pouting because Anthony gave the wrong answer. And I found nothing sweet about Anthony telling Jack to keep away from Erin. She's not his property but a grown-up woman who can fight her own battles. As for Jaimie's career path (or lack thereof) - that's beating a dead horse. He has to stay where he is for in-show reasons and all the convoluted dialogue that normally comes  with those plots can't hide that.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, MissLucas said:

As for Jaimie's career path (or lack thereof) - that's beating a dead horse. He has to stay where he is for in-show reasons and all the convoluted dialogue that normally comes  with those plots can't hide that.

Except he really doesn't need to. He needs to stay on patrol, but you can promote him and not lose anything except Eddie as his partner, which is addition by subtraction IMO. I think it's a case of the limitations of the writers - they don't understand that they could tell most of the same stories as well as some badly needed new stories and that you are still keeping with the basic premise of the show as all aspects of law enforcement are still presented (admin, patrol, investigators, and the DA's office.) Heck they could even go forward with Nicky becoming a cop and reuse the S1-2 plots with Jamie as rookie beat cop and have Reagans from top to bottom of the chain of command. But TPTB don't seem to understand that you can have growth and change while keeping the formula intact and that smart, ambitious police officers might have goals other than becoming a detective.

• Love 1