Type keyword(s) to search

A Million Little Things In The Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

And, of course, they cast an actor who I actually love. 

Jason Ritter is just another reason why I'll be back to watching this show.

I like Jason, too (Boo for cancelling Kevin (Probably) Saves The World!), so that's a major plus.

• Love 2
On 8/9/2019 at 3:41 PM, saoirse said:

A Million Little Things' XL-ish Season 2 Episode Count (Finally) Revealed

Nineteen episodes doesn’t really feel...”XL-ish” to me, but then the byline is Ausiello, so that tracks.

Honestly, I think this show would do better with fewer episodes.  Most of season one was just filler--pushing non-essential story lines, replaying past events from different angles (which can be effective but it loses its potency when it is clearly done to burn off episodes).  Nash, in my opinion, isn't an especially skilled storyteller and a shorter season--13 episodes would probably be a good number--would most likely be easier for him.

On 8/10/2019 at 4:46 PM, TV Snark said:

I just have to say...the snark there is a thing of beauty!

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2

I'm glad to welcome them back for a sophomore season. LOVE Grace Parks. I've been following her since The Cleaner. Lots of stories to tell and that soapy feel of Knots Landing at times.

They have a great cast. Well, I don't actively hate anyone yet. Baby steps.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:46 PM, jhlipton said:

I like Jason, too (Boo for cancelling Kevin (Probably) Saves The World!), so that's a major plus.

I'm still missing this one. I'll probably be back watching A Million Little Things. I re-watched Joan of Arcadia, last month, because I was missing that. 

• Love 2

In the S02.E02 thread, @debraran wrote:

Ratings were down slightly last week and Nash was asking people on FB to tell others to watch and sit through commercials. If ratings continue to drop, it's because he starts to make the twists and unreal circumstances too much. Time will tell. Ratings fluctuate but I'm sure they never like to see it.

A couple things.  Frst of all, it's hard to make a call based on one week. There are other factors to keep in mind, including:

1 - Thursday night football.  There was a late/West Coast game which ran over this show in most of the country.

2 - It was a big news day and many people may either be sucked into the news or turning off the TV.

The real test will be what happens for the next 4-5 episodes, or until the first hiatus.

That being said, a 22% drop (I think that is what it said in the link in the original post) is something to be concerned about.  Another aspect is the social media reach.  I follow, well, every show that I watch on Social Media and there is no other show that comes as close as the sort of desperate posting that this show does.  And I know people were complaining that Nash was discussed too much but, well, he is the one who puts himself out there.  The reason why I couldn't name most of the other show runners is because they stay practically invisible.  But then we have DJ Nash who is tweeting dozens of times a day about the show, plus the official account of the show...and even with all that, there still isn't that much engagement with the viewers.  I know this is a metric now used when it comes to renewal  decisions.

On an anecdotal level, I know a lot of people who are just turned off by this show--people who normally would eat up a family-ish drama like this one.  And while Delilah seems to be the main turn off, there are other issues as well...and these things seem to be what the show is doubling down on, not what they are trying to fix.  Also, one friend is giving up on the show because the baby drama is just *uncomfortable.*  It is one thing to make something fraught and emotional, it is another to make the audience uncomfortable when they watch it.  No one wants to be uncomfortable and that is a sure fire way to get people to turn off the show.  

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

In the S02.E02 thread, @debraran wrote:

A couple things.  Frst of all, it's hard to make a call based on one week. There are other factors to keep in mind, including:

1 - Thursday night football.  There was a late/West Coast game which ran over this show in most of the country.

2 - It was a big news day and many people may either be sucked into the news or turning off the TV.

The real test will be what happens for the next 4-5 episodes, or until the first hiatus.

That being said, a 22% drop (I think that is what it said in the link in the original post) is something to be concerned about.  Another aspect is the social media reach.  I follow, well, every show that I watch on Social Media and there is no other show that comes as close as the sort of desperate posting that this show does.  And I know people were complaining that Nash was discussed too much but, well, he is the one who puts himself out there.  The reason why I couldn't name most of the other show runners is because they stay practically invisible.  But then we have DJ Nash who is tweeting dozens of times a day about the show, plus the official account of the show...and even with all that, there still isn't that much engagement with the viewers.  I know this is a metric now used when it comes to renewal  decisions.

On an anecdotal level, I know a lot of people who are just turned off by this show--people who normally would eat up a family-ish drama like this one.  And while Delilah seems to be the main turn off, there are other issues as well...and these things seem to be what the show is doubling down on, not what they are trying to fix.  Also, one friend is giving up on the show because the baby drama is just *uncomfortable.*  It is one thing to make something fraught and emotional, it is another to make the audience uncomfortable when they watch it.  No one wants to be uncomfortable and that is a sure fire way to get people to turn off the show.  

I agree.  anecdotally, my office of about 30 people started watching this is us and MLT. 80% still watch This is Us but only one other than me watch MLT.  The soap opera stuff, twists , 911 scenario with very little about Jon and suicide really just burnt them out.  So I have this forum but lost any other family or work watchers . 

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Also, one friend is giving up on the show because the baby drama is just *uncomfortable.*

This is me in a nutshell.  I watched all of last season.  And was kinda looking forward to this season.  But when the time came I was  'eh I'll catch it on streaming in a few days.'  But  then I started reading about the first two eps and honestly, I can't with Delilah and hate what they are doing to Katherine's character so I haven't even bothered.  And I am probably all the way out at this point.

• Love 1

Sutton Foster cast as Eric's deceased fiancee

Wow, they are really pulling out some of the bigger actors this season, aren't they? I adore Sutton Foster. It sounds like she'll only be in an episode as a flashback or dream sequence, so that might be fun. That means a bigger part for Jason Ritter, which is a good sign that he might stick around. If they weren't thinking of keeping him, they probably wouldn't be having some sort of flashback sequence, unless this is the reveal of how Eric got Chad's heart. 

• Love 2
Just now, Lady Calypso said:

Sutton Foster cast as Eric's deceased fiancee

Wow, they are really pulling out some of the bigger actors this season, aren't they? I adore Sutton Foster. It sounds like she'll only be in an episode as a flashback or dream sequence, so that might be fun. That means a bigger part for Jason Ritter, which is a good sign that he might stick around. If they weren't thinking of keeping him, they probably wouldn't be having some sort of flashback sequence, unless this is the reveal of how Eric got Chad's heart. 

Just saw this and can't believe this show keeps casting my faves to keep me in its deathly snare. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

UO, but I cannot stand Sutton Foster.  To me, she is always frantic and annoying.  Her crazy eyes bug me, too.  I have failed to see chemistry or sparks with her and any romantic pairings I’ve ever seen her with (Bunheads and Younger).  

Ratings were down slightly last week and Nash was asking people on FB to tell others to watch and sit through commercials

Uh...when a show creator has to tweet to 'ask your friends on social media to watch AND sit through commercials' to boost the ratings, that's really sinking down to low depths of pathetic.  That may work for, what - 1-2 weeks.  My husband and I rarely (if ever) watch shows live - we always catch them On Demand to work with our watching schedule.  I watched the 1st 3 episodes of this season just last week. 

I don't know any of other work by Nash (never looked him up - don't care to), but he sounds like a freshman show runner.  Rather than begging people to watch and endure commercials, how about putting some effort into the flow, dynamic and storylines instead?  You  know - YOU do YOUR job.  What an immature jerk!

UO, but I cannot stand Sutton Foster.  To me, she is always frantic and annoying.  Her crazy eyes bug me, too

I'm right there with you.  Bug eyes and overexaggerated smile.  Same effect on me as Lake Bell whose facial expressions I find annoying and jarring

'A Million Little Things' Fans Are Saying "Everyone Annoys" Them Except Katherine

Eh - even Katherine is getting me peeved.  Hey - I know I haven't walked in her shoes having been cheated on with the result being an unexpected pregnancy, but man - her sullen, pouty faced brooding is getting on my last nerve.  Ever since she left her son alone to leave because she couldn't take it anymore, I've had a hard time warming up to her.  She couldn't have waited 10 measly minutes until Eddie was at least in the driveway?  No, she wanted to sneak out because it was passive-aggressive. 

And Rome's awkward babbling when the Saville's came to bring a present to baby Charlotte because Katherine and Delilah were in the same room was cringy.  And everyone calling Delilah "D" and Theo 'T' - can we just  please stop?  This isn't the Beverly Hills 90210 gang.  These are grown adults who have waaaaaay too much time to always be around each other and whose jobs never seem to interfere. 

If Nash wants to do this right, he needs to study Thirtysomething.  They did it right.  Yeah, they were all friends, but they weren't up in each other's grill constantly - and all together at the same time what seems like all the time. 

Edited by ctlady
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ctlady said:

Uh...when a show creator has to tweet to 'ask your friends on social media to watch AND sit through commercials' to boost the ratings, that's really sinking down to low depths of pathetic.  That may work for, what - 1-2 weeks.  My husband and I rarely (if ever) watch shows live - we always catch them On Demand to work with our watching schedule.  I watched the 1st 3 episodes of this season just last week. 

I don't know any of other work by Nash (never looked him up - don't care to), but he sounds like a freshman show runner.  Rather than begging people to watch and endure commercials, how about putting some effort into the flow, dynamic and storylines instead?  You  know - YOU do YOUR job.  What an immature jerk!

I'm right there with you.  Bug eyes and overexaggerated smile.  Same effect on me as Lake Bell whose facial expressions I find annoying and jarring

Eh - even Katherine is getting me peeved.  Hey - I know I haven't walked in her shoes having been cheated on with the result being an unexpected pregnancy, but man - her sullen, pouty faced brooding is getting on my last nerve.  Ever since she left her son alone to leave because she couldn't take it anymore, I've had a hard time warming up to her.  She couldn't have waited 10 measly minutes until Eddie was at least in the driveway?  No, she wanted to sneak out because it was passive-aggressive. 

And Rome's awkward babbling when the Saville's came to bring a present to baby Charlotte because Katherine and Delilah were in the same room was cringy.  And everyone calling Delilah "D" and Theo 'T' - can we just  please stop?  This isn't the Beverly Hills 90210 gang.  These are grown adults who have waaaaaay too much time to always be around each other and whose jobs never seem to interfere. 

If Nash wants to do this right, he needs to study Thirtysomething.  They did it right.  Yeah, they were all friends, but they weren't up in each other's grill constantly - and all together at the same time what seems like all the time. 

I find his antics quite odd at times, he's like a little kid but not really. I don't "tweet" but he of course is doing this to generate more viewers, to appease people,, make them feel important, but that can't replace good writing. So many fans, many seem young, love that he talks to them, but again, that really can't save a bad script.  So I hope he keeps his eye on that and less on social media.  Thirtysomething was a better show for it's time and I feel TIU is written much better.  I don't know why I keep hoping MLT will give it a little more effort but I do.

It seems in January that they are doing Grease and there is a doctor that was in a show back in 2018, the one Rome saw. Also a young girl named "Claire" I think, maybe a friend of Danny. So no matter what happens I guess the main family is intact.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, ctlady said:

He did "Growing Up Fisher," which I enjoyed a lot.  It only ran for a season, was about a son with a blind father (and other family members) and it was really well done. 

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I saw this comment in TV Line page. Is this the real reason why Delilah has been MIA from the show? Because Stephanie Szostak wouldn’t take a pay cut? 😳

342009B1-229D-44CF-B918-FD4679EA803F.jpeg

There’s a predicament - they might have to kill her off, so they can bring the baby back and write something halfway believable. Maybe Rome and Regina will get a baby and a couple of teenagers.

Edited by nexxie
11 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

I saw this comment in TV Line page. Is this the real reason why Delilah has been MIA from the show? Because Stephanie Szostak wouldn’t take a pay cut? 😳

This is very common in TV shows, and negotiations break down. I don't have any special feelings for the actress but if she can afford to go without a job for a while, all the power to her. Productions companies make a lot of money and cutting actors' salaries is a power play that every corporation engages in in order to maintain their shareholders happy. If that's the reason, I wish all the other actors were also in a position to just side with her (assuming they did take a pay cut). Solidarity has to start with workers.

P.S.: actors should also learn to exercise solidarity with the crew that is likely paid very little for the work they do.

3 hours ago, nexxie said:

There’s a predicament - they might have to kill her off, so they can bring the baby back and write something halfway believable. Maybe Rome and Regina will get a baby and a couple of teenagers.

Wouldn’t Eddie be getting the custody of Charlie despite his addiction problem & also being financially dependent on Katherine?

3 hours ago, circumvent said:

This is very common in TV shows, and negotiations break down. I don't have any special feelings for the actress but if she can afford to go without a job for a while, all the power to her. Productions companies make a lot of money and cutting actors' salaries is a power play that every corporation engages in in order to maintain their shareholders happy. If that's the reason, I wish all the other actors were also in a position to just side with her (assuming they did take a pay cut). Solidarity has to start with workers.

P.S.: actors should also learn to exercise solidarity with the crew that is likely paid very little for the work they do.

Actors’ solidarity like the 6 of Friends...

17 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Actors’ solidarity like the 6 of Friends...

In my opinion they got too much money compared to the (lack of) talent but the show was extremely successful, and we know that the producers could afford to pay them.

I am anti-capitalist, not a big fan of untalented people getting praised and compensated for mediocre talent, but seeing big corporation forced to share a bit of the wealth with a tiny fraction of the workers is a first step

21 hours ago, circumvent said:

If that's the reason, I wish all the other actors were also in a position to just side with her (assuming they did take a pay cut). Solidarity has to start with workers.

The reason that the Friends cast was able to negotiate a higher salary was because they stuck together and demanded equal payment among the six leads. I'm guessing that the seven leads of this show have been paid different salaries from the beginning. David Guintoli, James Roday Rodriguez, and Grace Park all came from long running shows that had very strong fanbases so they were probably signed with higher salaries (although I wonder if Grace Park coming in as a last minute replacement meant she had more or less wiggle room for her initial salary).

I'd be curious to know if the entire main cast was asked to take a pay cut or if Stephanie Szostak was the only one. I also wonder if the source above means that she was asked to take a cut in her per episode pay or if the network reduced the number of episodes for this season which would mean a lower overall salary for the year.

24 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The reason that the Friends cast was able to negotiate a higher salary was because they stuck together and demanded equal payment among the six leads.

I only watched a couple of seasons of Friends, didn't like it very much, but I remember the debacle. The sticking together and demanding the same pay for  all 6 is a form of solidarity that they could exercise and were smart enough to do so. 

Other than Grace Park, I had no idea of who those actors were, so the difference in salaries would mean that there is a caste of sorts. A totally different dynamic when it comes to negotiations. To me, they are of the same importance for the telling of the story the writers (who also work for powerful producers, who work for even more powerful studio runners) want to tell. If the case is that SS left or reduced her participation because of this means that the writers have to be creative (not their main skill in this show, imo) to please the top bosses. Solidarity would still be important because, in this case, the owners of everything still get whatever they want by making others work harder and possibly having the ones who are the face of the show reduce their salaries- I am assuming that theory, and also assuming that the writers have to work harder to change the plots and all. 

20 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Wouldn’t Eddie be getting the custody of Charlie despite his addiction problem & also being financially dependent on Katherine?

Unless Katherine left him and he decided Charlie was better off with Rome and Regina, at least temporarily. A million little things could happen lol.

• LOL 1
15 hours ago, circumvent said:

Other than Grace Park, I had no idea of who those actors were, so the difference in salaries would mean that there is a caste of sorts.

James Roday Rodriguez seems to have a big following from Psych, and from what I've read on this site, David Guintoli has a decent fan base from his work on other shows, none of which I've seen. I remember Romany Malco from 40-year-old Virgin and some random sitcoms, but no, other than Grace and James, no one on the cast approaches A-list caliber.

On 4/4/2021 at 7:19 AM, nexxie said:

That's the ideal play - it will get Rome and Regina the baby they both desperately want, while getting the insufferable Delilah off our screens.

Also came back to note that those of you with Comcast/Xfinity can see the entire AMLT cast interviewed live this Wednesday, I believe it's 7:30 pm E/6:30 C.

• Love 2

Despite being in a flopped movie (R.I.P.D), Stephanie Szostak may think she has some negotiation power because she has starred in some box office movies with some A-listers (Devil Wears Prada, Iron Man 3, Dinner for Schmucks) and guest starred in some of well known tv series (L&O Criminal Intent, The Blacklist, Bull). Possibly, she believes her own hype, who knows. 😬

On 4/5/2021 at 6:34 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The reason that the Friends cast was able to negotiate a higher salary was because they stuck together and demanded equal payment among the six leads. I'm guessing that the seven leads of this show have been paid different salaries from the beginning. David Guintoli, James Roday Rodriguez, and Grace Park all came from long running shows that had very strong fanbases so they were probably signed with higher salaries (although I wonder if Grace Park coming in as a last minute replacement meant she had more or less wiggle room for her initial salary).

The reason the Friends cast was able to negotiate a higher salary was also because the show was super successfully. I believe it was the number 1 show and made a ton of money. It STILL makes a ton of money in syndication 20 years later.

A Million Little Things has nowhere close to that level of success. They don't have that much to bargain with. I'm guessing if they asked one actress to take a pay check, they asked at least some of the rest of the cast.

50 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

So Charlie shies away from Eddie. Not surprising considering how many times he's seen her, but still one more kick in the balls while he's down.

So the entire rest of the cast was willing to stay in Vancouver and film, except for Stephanie? It's understandable, with small children at home. I can't stand Delilah, but if that's the only reason she sat out the season, then I have to admire the actress. I suppose there will always be the spec that it was contract related though, unless/until one side or the other makes it clear.

2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

So the entire rest of the cast was willing to stay in Vancouver and film, except for Stephanie? It's understandable, with small children at home. I can't stand Delilah, but if that's the only reason she sat out the season, then I have to admire the actress. I suppose there will always be the spec that it was contract related though, unless/until one side or the other makes it clear.

With doing some research, I just found out that Stephanie's children are both teenagers. So definitely not young children, but I assume there's a lot more to why she sat out on most of this season. I can't say that I care too much on the reasons, unless they're health related, and have been totally fine with her decision to not film in Vancouver and took most of the season off. I'm more disappointed in her return, as this season has proven that it doesn't need Delilah in any way, and it has actually provided many of the characters with more story opportunities. 

The Dixon family isn't happy Delilah's returned from France, the AMLT fans aren't either!    I do think there's more to the story of the Great Stephanie Sit-out, otherwise they would have crammed Zoom and Facetime chats down our throats.  Delilah only appeared on one.

Let's see how Katherine interacts with Delilah again.  Maybe there will be a fight this time.  Katherine confronts Delilah with her true feelings about the affair and Charlie.  Delilah says, "C'est la vie."  Eddie is conflicted.  Do I choose Theo or Charlie?

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

With doing some research, I just found out that Stephanie's children are both teenagers. So definitely not young children, but I assume there's a lot more to why she sat out on most of this season. I can't say that I care too much on the reasons, unless they're health related, and have been totally fine with her decision to not film in Vancouver and took most of the season off. I'm more disappointed in her return, as this season has proven that it doesn't need Delilah in any way, and it has actually provided many of the characters with more story opportunities. 

Ah, okay. I just assumed (oops) they were younger, probably conflating it with the photo of her and baby Charlie. Still, if there was no talk/rumors about her contract, I wouldn't judge her harshly for not wanting to be 'stuck' in Canada filming for months, especially in the beginning of the season when less was known about Covid and the border situation. In normal circumstances they can fly home, or have family come here - but there is none of that now. It's not everyone who can accept that kind of commitment.

All that said, I have not missed Delilah one bit, and would've been fine if she decided to stay in France and let her dad live out his days there with her by his side.

A Million Little Things: Ryan Hansen, Azie Tesfai and Mario Van Peebles to Guest-Star in Season 4

Ryan Hansen (Veronica Mars), Azie Tesfai(Supergirl) and Mario Van Peebles (Damages) will recur on A Million Little Things this season, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Hansen and Tesfai will debut in the Oct. 27 episode. He’ll play Camden, who is described as “a handsome and charming professional hockey player.” She’ll portray Cassandra, a very good publicist helping Rome with his documentary.

Van Peebles, who will play Regina’s father Ronald, will first appear in the Nov. 3 episode, titled “Six Months Later.” During that hour, Rome will encounter an unexpected development related to his film.

Spoiler

Camden = Maggie’s new boyfriend? 🤔

Spoiler

Season 4 episode 6, “six months later” – Maggie is enjoying success at work and new love in her life, while Gary learns he needs to let go of his past. Rome experiences a curveball with his film and Regina deals with drama of her own on this episode of “A Million Little Things,” airing WEDNESDAY, NOV. 3 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC.

D8E8505D-7ABE-4B45-8A33-95C46F500AD2.png

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

If we're going to have a pool, I'll take the 'Eddie's big toe moves' square.

I have been waiting for this!

Other possibility - Gary’s cancer is back so that Maggie can take care of him (her redemption arc) and Sophie to (finally) forgive him.

• Love 1

Does anyone know how many more episodes are left in this season?  I'm wondering why they plan to end on a cliffhanger since it doesn't look real likely to have another season.

Why do I watch this show?

• Love 1
(edited)

We were discussing the writer fir episode School Ties.  As it turns out, it’s one person listed.  I found this about him.  

https://amillionlittlethings.fandom.com/wiki/DJ_Nash

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/million-things-creator-dj-nash-recounts-painful-experience/story?id=63308714

I wonder if he really is writing the scripts lately or if so, what’s going on with him.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe