Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Elongated Journey Into Night

Trini
  • Start Topic

Cisco is shocked when Gypsy's (guest star Jessica Camacho) father, Breacher (guest star Danny Trejo), shows up on Earth-1. Breacher takes an immediate disliking to Cisco and decides to hunt him. Meanwhile, Barry runs into his old nemesis, Ralph Dibny (guest star Hartley Sawyer).

Tom Cavanagh directed the episode written by Sterling Gates & Thomas Pound

fla404b_0175b.jpg

Joe's a father again?  Ehhhhhh.  

I don't remember Ralph for some reason, but this episode had a different vibe (not Cisco related) where some of the talking back and forth overlapped in a few scenes and came out snappier and more rapid fire.  I didn't mind it at all, it just felt different for this show.  At least Ralph may hopefully a redemption box.

And yes, i also want a Sling box for some reason.

8 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

this episode had a different vibe (not Cisco related) where some of the talking back and forth overlapped in a few scenes and came out snappier and more rapid fire.

Tom Cavanaugh directed it.  Maybe it's because he comes from an acting rather than a production or stunt background.

• Love 2

First: it is SO WRONG to have Flash and Elongated Man as nemesis, when in 

Spoiler

JLU, Wally’s Flash and he were FRIENDS. ??

BUT. I am ??????????? at him and Team Flash trying to help him! And the dialogue is so snappy. 

And Danny as Gypsy’s dad! Love him!

okay will be back after I’m done watching!

• Love 4

I loved Danny Trejo just showing up in Cisco's bedroom. That was awesome. And the three little word's in every relationship: "What's you name?" And I liked Barry's quick thinking about phasing through the floor (Supergirl did it too this week). I'm disappointed in Mayor Bellows.

15 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

I don't remember Ralph for some reason

We haven't seen him on the show before. He got referenced as dead in the particle accelerator explosion in 1x07 before Flashbpoint happened, I think.

10 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

this episode had a different vibe (not Cisco related) where some of the talking back and forth overlapped in a few scenes and came out snappier and more rapid fire.  I didn't mind it at all, it just felt different for this show.  

I loved it during Tom and Carlos's scenes. They have great timing together and I'm glad Tom incorporated that.

I'm liking the lighter tone this season, but I'm glad we still have the drama of the season long arc.

• Love 4

Okay, first the scenes in the lab where Ralph's body parts just were constantly causing a scene was hilarious! I would totally be Joe and puking after seeing it.

BUT, for the love of everything Barry. Barry. Why do you show everyone who you are when you are dressed as the Flash? I dont read comics, does Barry literally flash everyone his face constantly? AH. Everyone is going to know soon. Barry just cant resist letting everyone know.

• Love 8

They unlocked the secret to time travel, and got a young Jim Carrey to play Ralph Dibny, didn't they?  The actor was way too much like a young Carrey, that's not a bad thing.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 10

Danny Trejo makes literally everything better. Literally everything. Him being Gypsy's dad is perfect casting, and I love that Cisco earned his respect by protecting people instead of using gadgets or beating him in a fight or anything. Plus, we all know that any dad would love to have their daughter date Cisco, look at that hair! 

I like Ralph so far, he seems like he has potential. Glad that not all of the new meta humans turn evil when they get their powers. I do wonder if the Brain Guy was expecting all of the metas to become his minions? Because with Ralph trying to be a good guy and the luck lady not being exactly a super villain, I wonder what his plan is? Ralph and Barry are usually friends in most continuities, so I hope they keep building on them.  The actor was really good, he has good comic timing. 

Seriously Barry. Does EVERYONE know your the Flash now? Why not stick it on your Linked In page while your at it? 

I love Barry and Iris solving cases together. See show, you can just have them being a good couple without DRAMA all the damn time!

• Love 8

The Flash this season seems really confused. They don't know if they want to be a full blown comedy or not and it's really messing with the episodes. 

I liked this episode for the most part but the constant shift in tone was so distracting. Breacher being this ultra serious character but involved in such a comedy plot with Cisco and then he looked so awkward at the end trying to kill "plastics". I need a E19 episode to focus on this because it just sounds ridiculous and made E19 lose cool points.

Ready for next week (lowkey bitter Laurel isnt around to join in the fun) since we finally get an episode we've been clamoring for since FOREVER on both shows.

When Breacher was attempting to kill Ralph and Flash, he just made me laugh with his hand motions and the slow mo.

• Love 2

Now that was a fun episode.  Ralph was a fun character and I enjoyed seeing the origin of Plastic Man (yes, I'm calling him Plastic Man).  He'll be a fun addition to the Arrowverse.  I'm also glad Barry showed some self-awareness over how much he and his team have broken the law and been hypocrites.  About three seasons too late but I'll take what I can get.

Also fun, Danny Trejo!

• Love 5
On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, benteen said:

yes, I'm calling him Plastic Man)

Spoiler

There's actually another character who really is Plastic Man.

If this guy was Jim Carrey, Plastic Man is Robin Williams.  Coked to the eyeballs Robin Williams.

• Love 3

I am really enjoying this season.  The central mystery feels like an actual mystery.  All the metas of the week have been interesting so far.  My husband tells me that the actor who played Dibney really got the all the nuances of comic book character dead on.  Apparently the little nose wiggle he did at the end is a character identifier.  But overall the writing for the character was well done and well acted.  I can't lie, I liked his brand of antagonism toward Barry more than Julian's.   Also I am with Joe, I would've puked too at seeing his face go weird at the sneeze.

Liked the scene of Barry and Iris vibrating through the floor.  Somehow the SFX this season seem better.

• Love 12

Ok that scene with the dancing was so extra, but still ?

I loved seeing Barry and Iris out investigating together. More of that show. 

Where was Cynthia when her dad was trying to kill Cisco?

Ralph was so sleazy in the scene with that woman. Didn't like that. But by the end I was ok with his character. Even if it is awfully convenient that there's someone to train just as Wally leaves, especially since we nver did get to see much of Barry training Wally/

I don't get why they were trying to make it seem like Barry was a fault for turning him in? Regardless of Barry's backstory with his father being wrongly imprisoned, there's a reason there are rules about evidence. Planting evidence is a big no no. Maybe Dibny was right that the guy was guilty, but what if he wasn't the next time, or the time after time. Because once someone starts with behavior like that it can get out of hand.

Overall a fun episode

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jediknight said:

They unlocked the secret to time travel, and got a young Jim Carrey to play Ralph Dibny, didn't they?  The actor was way too much like a young Carrey, that's not a bad thing.

THIS!!!! Omg, my jaw was kind of open, watching him. The guy's really good imo, but MAN is that Carrey resemblance strong! I mean, he doesn't look like him, but the mannerisms, the voice, the delivery, wow!

I really liked the episode though, and I like Ralph, so I'm cool with him sticking around. He's got a major presence and good comic timing.

Can't wait for next week!

• Love 2

Good episode, and great way to bring in one of Flash's canon friends. Okay, we have the Thinker ex Macchina instead of Gingold, but that was more or less what Caitlin gave Ralph to stabilize his powers. And this Ralph is a dope, which kinda fits the character. Well, he was. I mean, the canon Ralph was a great detective, but he was kinda dopey, especially with the twitching nose. And props to the writers for throwing in the last panel handshake.

Flash112-16.jpg

Breacher is cool. He's played by Danny Trejo, so of course he's gotta be scary. Only bad part was him elongating [pause for rimshot] the main plot,but at least he respects Cisco in the end. Still kinda wishing we had a Gypsy closer to canon, but I can deal with this. I'm hoping we get to see a little Earth-19 down the line.

Joe not spilling the beans about being a daddy until the end was fitting for this show. Great slow-motion celebrations at STAR Labs. Kinda hoping Wally finds out he's going to be a big brother soon.

• Love 6
On 10/31/2017 at 9:19 PM, benteen said:

Now that was a fun episode.  Ralph was a fun character and I enjoyed seeing the origin of Plastic Man (yes, I'm calling him Plastic Man).  He'll be a fun addition to the Arrowverse.  I'm also glad Barry showed some self-awareness over how much he and his team have broken the law and been hypocrites.  About three seasons too late but I'll take what I can get.

Also fun, Danny Trejo!

Spoiler

Uh, no.  Plastic Man is Patrick “El” O’Brian-former safe cracker doused with chemical.

Elongated Man, Ralph Dibney who was on tonight-

weird doofus with glasses is Plastic Man.

BBDDDFD9-D40B-4A54-B878-5414CB675791.jpeg

E33A5A14-3185-4464-9FED-06E763ED0A54.jpeg

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, doram said:

So... lemme get this straight. Cisco and Gypsy can have hot makeout scenes with Gypsy traversing the flat in a short tee and Cisco looking for condoms and making sex jokes... Random dude can grab his girl's booty? 

But WestAllen can’t do any of the above because it’s a “family show?”

Riiiiight.

Yeah, they're gonna have to give us some WA fooling around sooner or later. I actually think these new writers have LESS of a problem with that than the old ones did, based on what we've seen so far. And next week with those strippers in the background?

Give Barry and Iris a sex scene, even a playful one.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

I don't get why they were trying to make it seem like Barry was a fault for turning him in? Regardless of Barry's backstory with his father being wrongly imprisoned, there's a reason there are rules about evidence. Planting evidence is a big no no. Maybe Dibny was right that the guy was guilty, but what if he wasn't the next time, or the time after time. Because once someone starts with behavior like that it can get out of hand.

It's weird, I'm not sure whether they were trying to have Barry at fault for turning Dibny or just have Barry be at fault for assuming he's still bad. Sure, treating a guy with superpowers like they're all going to be evil is sure to backfire (just look at the origin of every X-Men Mutant Supervillain ever) but one should still be wary if they happen to have proven they have had ill intentions in the past. That's the problem with the Killer Frost storyline last season, if Catlin had already shown some morally questionable tendencies beforehand and consistently that storyline would have worked a lot better.

Oh, and about Gypsy's Dad, they ever going to explain just how he seems to just "know" where people are? He just randomly shows up just "knowing" where Cisco and Dibny are or have recently been, and if that's a function of his powers he cheated during his hunt of Cisco.

• Love 2

I think Barry made a good point about  how he himself has totally ignored due process about bad guys ever since he got his powers (if that's the point he was making there, maybe that's just how I heard it). And so he saw that Ralph was trying to put the guy away because he was guilty.

Actually I was surprised Barry wasn't more upset that whatever he did let an actually guilty man go free- or did he still believe the guy didn't do it?

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2

This was such an enjoyable episode.  It was funny - but not over the top - it was really, really well balanced... just the right amount of seriousness mixed with perfect comedic timing.  I think Caitlin is definitely the straight man to Iris' funny one - their back and forth over Oliver was funny - especially Iris' "Amen Hallelujah".  CP has really good comedic timing.

And Oh!  Be still my heart!  Shades of Lois & Clark when Iris and Barry went out to investigate Dibny's office and then talking while working and then Iris finding the bomb and Barry doing his flash thing... really reminded me of Dean Cain/Teri Hatcher's L&C.  Loved it.

The guy they have playing Ralph is really funny - not in an over the top way either - perfect facial expressions - totally reminds me of Jim Carey as some others said - but more subtle and less "big".  He was great - even the tension between him and Barry was great in terms of story.  Though Dibny faked evidence - I cannot rock with that or sympathize.  Too many folks being straight up executed now by cops so I don't ever believe they should be above the law.  And Ralph didn't KNOW the guy was guilty - he believed it - but if there's no proof then sorry.  No no NO to cops just "knowing" someone is guilty and planting evidence and being painted as "good" for that.  NO NO NO!

But I was glad Barry recognized what they'd been doing by ignoring due process with the pipeline prison they had for so long.

Caitlin's "KF made me evil" story is still stupid.  

Danny Treijo as Gypsy's dad.  OMG so good.  I loved that little game he and Cisco had - so funny - and yay Harry is actually Harry this week!  No more HR confusion in Tom's portrayal.  He and Cisco have great pal chemistry - loved it.

I loved everything tonight and the whole episode just made me happy - it must have.  I was actually not annoyed but semi-happy to see Felcity in the promo for next week's bachelorette party for Iris.  Usually I get FeFe fatigue - but it didn't make me angry!  I totally credit the lighter tone of The Flash.  Thank you SO much writers - I just love this show so much more now.  I don't feel like poor Iris/CP is going to get attacked in the media, she's getting proper screentime, she's integrated, she even (sometimes) gets a PoV... awesome.  Barry is all light and fun again.  Joe is ... well Joe, lol.  Caitlin is ... well I haven't figured that out - but she's such a square, lol.  Cisco is hilarious... and Harry's Harry again.  It's like Season 1 feels and lightness mixed with just the right amount of mystery.

Really glad to see Barry instantly recognize DeVoe's last name from two references last season.  Well done.  This episode (except for one thing) had wonderful continuity - from Iris' Oliver fixation to Barry remembering stuff to Mayor Bellows, etc...  

Also - LOVED all of the comic references with Dibny (although is this a plothole?  WAsn't he supposed to be dead from the first accelerator explosion?).  The nose twinkle and the "Sounds like a mystery."  I really like him - he's fun and light.  He's sometimes a screw-up as Elongated Man but maybe Barry can whip him into - hahaha I couldn't finish that thought - hahaha..  Barry whipping him into shape?  Hahaha... not bloody likely.  Barry still doesn't case joints.

And is this the 1,234,567th person to know Barry's The Flash?

Although, Ralph's "I love the Flash!" and then his voice turning angry like a child, "Now I have to HATE The Flash!" had me ROLLING.  

TC did a great job directing this episode - the dialogue was great and snappy - just so well done.  I want to high five the writers for this one.

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, immortalfrieza said:

It's weird, I'm not sure whether they were trying to have Barry at fault for turning Dibny or just have Barry be at fault for assuming he's still bad. Sure, treating a guy with superpowers like they're all going to be evil is sure to backfire (just look at the origin of every X-Men Mutant Supervillain ever) but one should still be wary if they happen to have proven they have had ill intentions in the past. That's the problem with the Killer Frost storyline last season, if Catlin had already shown some morally questionable tendencies beforehand and consistently that storyline would have worked a lot better.

They didn't really make the distinction until the conversation with Joe (before the cops show up), but I guess at least they did :) And yeah, treating all meta's like villains would not be a good idea, but considering what they knew about Ralph it was probably better to be wary. Not lock him up wary, but definitely wary.

45 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I think Barry made a good point about  how he himself has totally ignored due process about bad guys ever since he got his powers (if that's the point he was making there, maybe that's just how I heard it). And so he saw that Ralph was trying to put the guy away because he was guilty.

I get that Barry was trying to say that sometime they've ignored some of the rules in order to put bad guys away, I just don't like it that they let Dibny's accusations of 'you ruined my life twice' sort of stand. No he did not. Dibny was the one that planted evidence. Turning a blind eye would have been a mistake on Barry's part. Don't blame other people for your own behavior. Dibny was quick to point out that he didn't make the mayor cheat on his wife, but can't apply that to himself seemingly. And the bus thing is on the team, not Barry. Don't get me wrong I think he'll be a fun addition, I'm not angry, it's just one of those things that I shake my head at.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, phoenics said:

Also - LOVED all of the comic references with Dibny (although is this a plothole?  WAsn't he supposed to be dead from the first accelerator explosion?). 

It's not a plothole, exactly. I'm pretty sure Dibny's name was originally just an easter egg. Now, when they actually got the chance to use him, they're basically hoping everyone has forgotten that, if the showrunners even remember it at all.

I found Caitlin saying Breacher was the scariest person she's ever seen amusing, especially considering all the people she's seen since the particle accelerator exploded.

It's amazing how Danny Trejo just being there seems to make everything better.

Barry training Ralph, or Ralph helping the team, seems more interesting to me than Jesse or Wally. We've already seen a speedster learn how to run.

• Love 4

Wonder what Ralph's/Elongated Man's costume will look like,should he stick around and join Team Flash..could also be a potential love interest for Caitlin

Machete is Gypsy's father? now Cisco better not ever cheat on her or break things off unexpectedly lol

Best part of the episode..no end credit stinger with the Thinker!

Edited by TDT
  • Love 2

First Barry's knees, now Cisco's thighs -- who else is going to strip down next? ?

So Wally has to go because of this dude and his expensive VFX? Aaaannd he knows the "secret" identity and gets offered a position in Team Flash. Slow your roll, show!

Finally, Gypsy's real name! Cynthia! I wished she had been more involved with in the sub-plot with Cisco.

Breacher can come back anytime to mess with Cisco. Their scenes were the best.

Some of the stuff with Dibny was funny, but I really don't see why they need him around. Also he is in no way as hot as the Starling City mayor; don't put lies in Iris' mouth show!

They keep saying it, but The Thinker couldn't have planned the dark matter incident to make new metahumans. Much more plausible is him wanting Dibny to blackmail the mayor -- but why?

That scene with dancing at STAR Labs was weirdly over-the-top, and Wally, Cisco, and Cecile should have been there.

• Love 3

I don't know any (long term) spoilers, but seeing as how this episode ended, its looking like Wally stepped out so Dibny could step in. 

Also guessing that he'll be Caitlin's PLI for this season.

This episode differed a bit  from the previous two.  It was very light, like (the new) usual, but there were some very serious moments mixed in as well.  Felt a bit more grounded after last week.  The timing of Joe admitting that Cecile is pregnant was quite odd, though.   Way to try to clue in the corrupt mayor on the Flash's identity, Joe.

I like Danny Trejo, but OMG, the continual "Here Ciscy, Ciscy, Ciscy" taunting was getting beyond annoying.

Cynthia and Josh.  LOL

"Bullet Burger.  Gross."

• Love 2

I usually roll my eyes hard at any storyline involving an "overprotective" father giving a guy hell for dating his daughter, but Danny Trejo as Breacher a.k.a. Gypsy's father?  Now that's just perfecting casting right there!  His big hunt/test for Cisco was so silly, but I loved every minute of it starting with Gypsy's "Dammit, he's doing it again?!", through Harry's involvement, and then at the end when, of course, he finally realizes that Cisco is good for his daughter, but he's still allowed to hate him the only way Danny Trejo can!  And we actually find out Gypsy's real name too!  Definitely glad for all of this because it gives me hope that there will still be a decent amount of her going forward.

In other news, Barry and the gang track a new meta in the form of Ralph "Elongated Man" Dibney, but this time, Barry is actually considering training him and having him possibly join the team, despite their history where he was a dirty copy (and now a sleazy P.I.)  I'm actually kind of interested in this storyline.  Unfamiliar with the actor, but he was really good in this and I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.  All the CGI for the stretching body parts was cheesy, but hilarious.  And I love that this was what ended up being too much for poor Joe!

Looks like the group that Caitlin was with during the premiere are still trying to get her to come back.  Might be time for her to go all "Killer Frost" on a bunch of asses soon!

Thought Tom Cavanagh did a pretty good job directing wise.  Not sure if I want to give him too many big action scenes, but I feel like he has a better handle on the humor and character interactions compared to the past few.

So, it sounds like Barry might be getting ready to meet this "Duvo" guy that Abra Kadabra warned him about last season.

Next week looks like it could be highly entertaining.  Then again, this entire season so far has been easily outshining the last one, which makes me happy.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I don't know any (long term) spoilers, but seeing as how this episode ended, its looking like Wally stepped out so Dibny could step in. 

I mean, supposedly two speedsters was too expensive (even though there were three last season), but clearly it was really 'two speedsters and a stretchy guy is too expensive'.

• Love 1

How nice of Barry to fix the office that exploded. If he purchased the new furniture and replaced the lost items, the man must have deep pockets.

When Barry and Ralph were arguing in Star Labs, I would have loved to see Joe add his opinion of Ralph's decision to add a knife to the crime scene. He just stood in the back and let those two go at it. 

Are bus drivers allowed to take an IOU?

Devoe! I guess Bell and Biv are in another universe.

Becky's mug shot makes me laugh every time they show it.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, KirkB said:

It's not a plothole, exactly. I'm pretty sure Dibny's name was originally just an easter egg. Now, when they actually got the chance to use him, they're basically hoping everyone has forgotten that, if the showrunners even remember it at all.

Who needs to forget it?  Time got altered when Barry when back to save his mom and then went back again to let her die.  One of those consequences was that Cisco's brother is dead.  Perhaps another one is that Ralph Dibny is alive.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 6

Barry is bad enough when it comes to revealing his secret identity to everyone but Joe isn't much better with his "Cecilia is pregnant" reveal right in front of the crooked, murderous mayor.

Agreed that Barry shouldn't blame himself for Dibny's behavior.  But I think it was fair to bring up the shady things they have been doing the past four years.

Really enjoyed this episode.  Felt like the fun is back.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
On 10/31/2017 at 11:59 PM, TDT said:

Wonder what Ralph's/Elongated Man's costume will look like,should he stick around and join Team Flash..could also be a potential love interest for Caitlin

On 11/1/2017 at 0:49 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Also guessing that he'll be Caitlin's PLI for this season.

Spoiler

Unless the show follows the comics, in which Ralph Dibny is very happily married (his wife Sue even becomes a sort of surrogate mother to Gypsy and Vibe).

On 11/1/2017 at 8:29 AM, legaleagle53 said:
Spoiler

Unless the show follows the comics, in which Ralph Dibny is very happily married (his wife Sue even becomes a sort of surrogate mother to Gypsy and Vibe).

Spoiler

Right now Sue doesn't even seem to be in the picture. Maybe he'll meet her during the course of the season, and she may even be part of the reason he leaves.

At this point it would probably be easier to list the people who don't know Barry is the Flash. Every significant, named character in the Arrowverse, except perhaps Captain Singh and Alex Danvers, seems to be in on it.

• Love 1
On 11/1/2017 at 8:37 AM, KirkB said:
Spoiler

Right now Sue doesn't even seem to be in the picture. Maybe he'll meet her during the course of the season, and she may even be part of the reason he leaves.

At this point it would probably be easier to list the people who don't know Barry is the Flash. Every significant, named character in the Arrowverse, except perhaps Captain Singh and Alex Danvers, seems to be in on it.

Other than Iris, this show doesn't really care about who is supposed to be with whom. I mean, you had Linda Park, who is

Spoiler

Wally's girlfriend/wife in the comics

, in a relationship with Barry, which squicked me out to no end. Then again, I don't know much about the comics regarding Flash except for the basics, so I may just be talking out of my ass.

2 hours ago, johntfs said:

Who needs to forget it?  Time got altered when Barry when back to save his mom and then went back again to let her die.  One of those consequences was that Cisco's brother is dead.  Perhaps another one is that Ralph Dibny is alive.

It could be easily handwaved with this. The only thing is that Barry should have been more confused to see an alive Dibny, but whatever.

I liked the episode quite a bit. It was more balanced than last week's, at least. It took me most of the episode to warm up to Dibny. I thought he fit the role as a sleazy PI well, and they got to the end of the episode to make me see some other layers to him. I kind of loved his rivalry with Barry. Unlike with Julian, since Barry had no recollection about their hatred for each other, it was fun to see Dibny and Barry hate each other equally and for good reasons on both ends. I don't think Barry needs to feel guilty for turning Dibny in back then because he was breaking the rules and Dibny could have been wrong about the husband back then, but Barry also has done a lot of rule breaking and questionable choices with the metas since then, so he has a new perspective. 

I liked Breacher and Cisco's man hunt. I thought it was highly entertaining, and it also allowed Team Flash to work without Cisco, which meant Caitlin and Iris got more to do (Iris on the field for once, Caitlin doing her science stuff with Dibny). I liked Breacher's attitude, that he still hated Cisco by the end, but also accepted his daughter was good with him. I wanted more Gypsy, though. I think that only having her in three scenes wasn't enough. I would have liked to see a scene with her and her father, instead of it just being Cisco and Breacher. This show kind of falters on what the females get to do, so that's something I had to point out.

But yeah, they got to almost go PG-13 with the Cisco/Gypsy scene. I'm not sure why the Arrowverse is so afraid of intimacy between couples. The Flash is the most prominent offender.

Meh on Joe's subplot about Cecile's pregnancy. I'm still not liking it. It just feels randomly thrown in to give him something to do.

I can't believe I, yet again, have to ask the show to not have Ralph and Caitlin get together as a couple. They seem to default Caitlin to the love interest role. They really don't need to do that.

• Love 5

The more I think about it, the more I think Ralph joining the team is a good idea. I miss Wally and Jessie, but I think its a good idea to have another meta on the team who isn't a speedster, and is a bit sleazy and on a redemption arc. It could lead to some interesting and more unique fight scenes and training montages, and could mix things up on the team. 

I am also glad that Barry went back to his "you could be a better person" speeches that he has often given, once he got over his hatred of Ralph. He used to give those to a lot of his meta villains who had powers they didn't really understand (it was hit and miss as to how well it went) and gave a bunch of them to Captain Cold before he joined LoT and became a full on good guy. Actually, I think it would be kind of interesting if we saw Barry feel a bit conflicted about convincing a former bad guy to become a good guy considering what happened with Snart. Yeah he became a better person and died a hero, but he still died, and Barry was clearly hurt by that. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love Barry and Iris solving cases together. See show, you can just have them being a good couple without DRAMA all the damn time!

So so so true.  It is a joy to see them happy this season.  So sweet.

16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I love whenever they bring up how Iris thinks Oliver is super hot, and Barry is always like "really babe?".

Last night Barry gave her "the look".  I've seen that look before from my husband.  It's the one that says...Knock it off!!!  LOL.  The show is firing on all cylinders this season.  Every episode has been fantastic.  Minor complaint that Caitlyn is still not being used much, but did anyone else get just a little vibe between her and Ralph?  That would be a weird combination, as plastic is less pliable in the cold.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

But yeah, they got to almost go PG-13 with the Cisco/Gypsy scene. I'm not sure why the Arrowverse is so afraid of intimacy between couples. The Flash is the most prominent offender.

Meh on Joe's subplot about Cecile's pregnancy. I'm still not liking it. It just feels randomly thrown in to give him something to do.

Here's my theory about on-screen intimacy on the CW shows I watch:

Arrow - the show promotes what a hunk Oliver is so there's no holding back with Steven...he and Felicity's love scenes are super hot and very adult.

Flash - the show thinks of Grant as squeaky clean boy-next-door, and though they are letting Barry & Iris get a little farther, it's strictly rated G.

Supergirl - the show didn't think there was any chemistry between her and James.  They brought in Mon-El and they've gotten intimate on camera once, and shown them in bed a few times, but IMO because their main character is female, the show wants her to remain more virginal.  

Agree about the pregnancy.  It's ridiculous, and to announce all during the show last night that Joe was "glowing".......who says that to a dude? 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, JapMo said:

Flash - the show thinks of Grant as squeaky clean boy-next-door, and though they are letting Barry & Iris get a little farther, it's strictly rated G.

If this is the case, I wonder if they will let go of that once Barry and Iris are married, since presumably in that kind of puritan thinking it is okay for married couples to have sex, right? Will they be allowed to be seen on a more intimate basis at that point, in bed together, etc? Especially because they are supposed to eventually have children and everything.

Funnily enough, I could actually see them showing them in bed more often once they're married, thinking that's perfectly acceptable on a family show.

They ought to at least give them some kind of sexy scene for their honeymoon. I can't believe they've only had them make out (briefly) in ONE episode, early in Season 3. Can't think of another show that would be SO chaste for their main couple.

But I think there has been some stuff this season that shows the new writers are slightly less uptight about hinting at sex- there was that brief scene with Hazard walking in on her boyfriend, Harry talking about Wally being Jesse's first, the stuff with Cisco/Gypsy here, and now it looks like strippers in the next one. Even if all that's relatively mild, it's actually more than the Flash usually does, ever, so...I would hope this would also apply to intimacy with Barry and Iris,  who are, again, the show's MAIN COUPLE.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2