Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E15: A Million More Reasons

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

The remaining Redemption House players compete in a winner-take-all challenge, sending a bunch of heavy hitters packing. TJ blows everyone’s minds when he reveals he’s been lying to them all along, and they’re really competing for one million dollars

Enough with the twists! I was so happy when it looked like Camilla was for sure out of the final and now she gets another chance? Damn it! I was all set to root for just CT and Tori (of all people) in the finale. Cara Maria really showed her ass this season. I liked her better before she started thinking she was top shit. I don't know why they all seem to hate Kailah but good for her for not letting Cara Maria attack her and for bringing up Camilla's racist tirade. And screw Cara Maria for brushing it off like Camilla wasn't awful.

I liked that Kailah and Jenna both helped the guys dig up their bags when they could have sat back and did nothing since they were out. Contrast that to Camilla who blamed Derrick for making her help him and somehow that slowed her down?

Ha to Johnny not making the finale. I think Jemmye's cursed line is right

• Love 13

I will say that Cara and CT have immensely improved on puzzles. 

I am going blame the reason Cara has been different this season is her being close with Camila. I think camila is this virus that just attaches to her victim and changes them. I still like Cara, but not when camila is around her.

• Love 10

Woo CT is in the finals.

I was so happy Camila was out dammit. Im hoping Jenna or Kailah get in for the other girl and not stupid Tony for the guy.

Edited by Marley
  • Love 2

God cm is terrible this season. She is the most entitled to me this season. Her and Camillia.

The only upside was Johnny leaving.  Because I’ll miss Jemyee and Leroy and even Veronica.

I kind of want Hunter to get the last place in the final, he seems nice enough and he’s gotten pretty screwed over this season. So.. yeah. Also Jenna for the girls because Camillia is terrible. 

• Love 3

The redemption challenge was dumb, after all that buildup, with all those good competitors.  Should have made that regular challenge the redemption challenge.

I wonder if those crates were equally nailed together.  First ones seemed much easier to open than the last pairs.

In any event, the puzzles were going to give them chance to catch up.

I have to go to the city for classes, so I tried something new this morning: waking up even earlier and watching the episode while having breakfast. It actually worked, and my schedule is not messed up.

Thank the Challenge Gods, the end is in sight! Even if we get winners who aren't complete assholes, I think this season is a huge miss. Too many twists, too much getting sent out without proving oneself, and it's too damn long. Also, I don't know how many people are left that three-quarters of the audience can pull for. CT and Derrick are the  only guys I can think of. I didn't warm to Hunter, but I understand his appeal. The women are a mixed bag of bad traits. I mean, I'm hoping Cara Maria gets her second win, but being the second-most hated female in the house shouldn't be a huge honor.

And I'm so tired of pairing up players near and at the end. I feel that it shouldn't come down to your partner being an albatross. Of course CT and Cara Maria joined forces. I can see fans "shipping" them. What would their cute name be? CTCM? CMCT? CCMT?

Lame Purge. I think the bigger deterrent would be not seeing the board, as opposed to "whacking sticks" (love ya, Jenna!!)

ETA in case Jemmye is reading this: Johnny isn't cursed. Yes, he holds six titles, but he's come up short more often, so screwing Sarah didn't hurt him. Basically, he's Cy Young, the pitcher who holds the record for the most wins, as well as most losses.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I have to go to the city for classes, so I tried something new this morning: waking up even earlier and watching the episode while having breakfast. It actually worked, and my schedule is not messed up.

I go to bed early, so I always watch The Challenge over breakfast.  I FF every time Bananas opens his mouth, it makes watching this show a much more enjoyable experience.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA in case Jemmye is reading this: Johnny isn't cursed. Yes, he holds six titles, but he's come up short more often, so screwing Sarah didn't hurt him. Basically, he's Cy Young, the pitcher who holds the record for the most wins, as well as most losses.

Although Jemmye's theory was funny, YES to what you said. If you go by percentage ratio, I bet he's got several people over him. Didn't Darrell win like 4 out of 6 or something? Quality over quantity. And that's what makes Darrell a much better competitor than Johnny (that and he isn't an insufferable asshat).

Johnny basically has one thing going for him: he's smart. And most of the people on The Challenge are, well, challenged in that area. 

And what the hell is with Cara Maria this season? I used to really like her and thought she was treated pretty badly by people in the house. Jenna is about the only likable girl on the show anymore. Jemmye is alright too, I guess.

With all these old schoolers showing up lately, I kind of want them to do just one season with old schoolers (like pre-2005 original season) vs. the young ones. Just in the past few seasons we've had Derrick, Johnny, Veronica, CT, Darrell, Shane (RR), Aneesa, Abe, KellyAnne, Cohutta, Isaac, Wes. And Landon and Mark were on just a few years ago, weren't they? Wishful thinking, I'm sure...

• Love 3

Hunter has really grown on me this season especially after being little more than wallpaper in his first go around.  In contrast I've grown to kind of dislike CM after always being fairly tolerant of her.  

It's always amusing watching Johnny go home.  Even more so when you know he's about to hear he just lost his shot at a million.  

Jenna remains fairly likable but I'm getting a little bored with her.  She seems out of place in a season that is supposed to be featuring the nastiest players around.

Jordan and CM are playing it up so much that it seems to me that they're setting themselves up to be Rivals (teammates) if they ever have another of those.  The whole thing between them is silly and feels manufactured.  

Camilla needs to go and not return.  Honestly she's just a vile person and not the kind of villain that's enjoyable to root against.  When she's on i just want to change the channel.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, scrb said:

The redemption challenge was dumb, after all that buildup, with all those good competitors.  Should have made that regular challenge the redemption challenge.

I wonder if those crates were equally nailed together.  First ones seemed much easier to open than the last pairs.

I agree about the redemption challenge.  It was so lame that the editors cut most of it out of the episode, thank goodness.

I don't think there were any shenanigans with the crates.  Hunter couldn't use his hand and that really slowed him down.  Tony is just a hapless, uncoordinated idiot.  I'm not surprised that he had trouble using a crowbar.

I wish they had made the $1 million announcement before the final redemption.  That would have really lit a fire under people.  It was yet another missed opportunity for this show.  They could have made this big announcement and then had a really intense redemption challenge, but instead we got no announcement and a lame challenge.  Boo.

• Love 3

Even though CM is showing her ass this season, I was still rooting for her in the Redemption challenge.  And then... I saw how happy Camilla was and I felt a bit differently about it.  For the last spots in the final, I would like to see Hunter or Derek and Jenna.  I would even take Kailah over Camilla.  Camilla is the worst.  Positives from the episode... bye bye to Bananas and the wretched Britni.  

• Love 4

Just so I'm on the same page . . . $1 million is the total payout for all finalists that complete the last mission, right? As opposed to the winners getting seven figures apiece? I'm betting most of the kids think it's the former. If it makes them feel better, I reckon the grand prize would exceed even Johnny's half-ill-gotten gains.

2 hours ago, Rascotes said:

Jordan and CM are playing it up so much that it seems to me that they're setting themselves up to be Rivals (teammates) if they ever have another of those.  The whole thing between them is silly and feels manufactured.  

I became convinced of this last night.  Both seemed to be enjoying their confrontation over dinner just a little too much.  And then it was odd when, as soon as the challenge was over, and she, Jordan, CT, and Tori had won, CM was saying to Jordan "now you're stuck running a final with me."   CT is right there, and every time they're allowed to pick a partner, those two pair up.  So shy did she think, in that moment, that she'd be running a final with Jordan instead of CT?  I mean, yeah, technically, they'll both be in the final, but unless they're paired up, her performance has no influence on Jordan.  

I can see the show sticking them together for the drama.  Or I could see some twist where the purged people get to pair up the people left running the final.  We know at least one of Kailah/Jenna is going to be sent home, since only one more girl can get in.  I could see them, especially Kailah, deciding to get one last shot in at CM and pair her up with the guy who she's been fighting with all along.  But, CM thinking she's going to be his partner right then and there was odd, unless it's part of some master plan on their part.  

• Love 1

Why am I not remembering them doing the partner switch during a final?  I didn't see the last full season (the one where they brought in the champs at some point), but I'm trying to think back over previous ones, and I don't remember them switching.  

After listening to the podcast, I once have to disagree with The Who would kill it choice of Sarah. I don’t get why everyone likes her.

I mean don’t get me wrong, it’s awful what Johnny did to her and no one deserves that- but also I’ve talked about it endlessly he’s the scorpion in that fable with the scorpion and the frog- and she made that awesome move to throw him into an elimination, but all the same I’ve never liked her. She’s decent in the challenges but to me she started them as a hanger on- she followed Johnny and his crew around for years and they used her for this. She allowed herself to be a part of the group, they even said it in interviews that she was the nerdy girl who wants to hang out with the cool kids so badly. It was true. And she continued  to do so even after she saw these shows and acted all upset at the reunions. 

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

Why am I not remembering them doing the partner switch during a final?  I didn't see the last full season (the one where they brought in the champs at some point), but I'm trying to think back over previous ones, and I don't remember them switching.  

They had partner switching in Free Agents.

28 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

They have only had two seasons in which the format allowed for switching, Free Agents and Champions.  Other partner finals had partners throughout the game like Exes or Rivals.  Maybe it was unfair to say "usually" with such a small sample size.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lilabennet said:

They have only had two seasons in which the format allowed for switching, Free Agents and Champions.  Other partner finals had partners throughout the game like Exes or Rivals.  Maybe it was unfair to say "usually" with such a small sample size.

I know I'm getting old when I'm sitting here drawing a blank on anything that happened in Free Agents.  I remember it existing, and know it wasn't that long ago, but I cannot remember a single detail of that season.  

• Love 1

Redemption stunk. When you have that many stars there, I would have liked a more elaborate challenge that involved both physical and strategic obstacles.  Sure, I was happy that CT and Jordan won, as I think they are the two best competitors, but it still was far too simple, unless you have poor vision, which I wonder if that effected Veronica. She's too smart to not remember the number sequences. 

I felt bad for Kailah and Jenna being stuck with an injured Hunter and a terrible competitor in Tony as partners. Why couldn't they have done that challenge as individuals? Nothing they did required a partner to complete. 

Hunter will not be able to be competitive in a final.   So I hope Derrick makes it. CT,Jordan, and Derrick would be the most stacked final in a while. For the women, anyone but Camilla is fine by me. 

• Love 5

I felt bad for Kailah and Jenna being stuck with an injured Hunter and a terrible competitor in Tony as partners.

Agree - I thought they were going to pull Hunter - it seems irresponsible to medically clear him given how he described his doctor's visit (assuming that it wasn't pure braggadocio to say that his hand will be forever ruined if he keeps competing). But even if they leave it to him and his own irrational decision making, it's not cool to tie Kailah's (or any partner's) chances to someone who can't use that arm at all!

I'm all in on this conspiracy theory after listening to the pod this am. I'm even wondering if CT's cryptic comment about there being something else behind their bickering was a reference to THIS, not any underlying romantic motivation!!! It seems like a very Jordan thing to do, all "I'm thinking 5 moves ahead and setting myself up with the strongest girl for the next Rivals round...".

$1 million is the total payout for all finalists that complete the last mission, right? As opposed to the winners getting seven figures apiece? I'm betting most of the kids think it's the former. If it makes them feel better, I reckon the grand prize would exceed even Johnny's half-ill-gotten gains.

I was thinking the same this morning - curse or no, Johnny's lost (the opportunity for) way more money since that season than he gained by snaking Sarah. Even if that's kind of magical thinking math, it's soothes me.

Edited by itainttippithebird
  • Love 5

I think CT and Jordan making it was great, Tori making it was great for the show, and Cara Maria you might not like her but she is a tough competitor and deserves to be their. As  a Kailah and Jenna fan it sucks that one or none of them and stupid Camila might make it, For the guys i Think Derrick hopefully for his kids and he beat Johnny Bananas, Hunter has been tough this whole season and Tony did nothing so please go home.  

• Love 2

I think CT and Jordan making it was great, Tori making it was great for the show, and Cara Maria you might not like her but she is a tough competitor and deserves to be their. As  a Kailah and Jenna fan it sucks that one or none of them and stupid Camila might make it, For the guys i Think Derrick hopefully for his kids and he beat Johnny Bananas, Hunter has been tough this whole season and Tony did nothing so please go home.  

16 hours ago, scrb said:

It looked to me like Tony didn't know how to use a crowbar. I couldn't tell with Hunter/Kailah, but his hand is a valid excuse. 

Agreed that it was a bad episode for Cara. I don't normally like Kailah, but she came out of this looking pretty awesome. I'm hoping Tori turns out the win, only so Cara can hopefully go back to being lovably adorkable. Would also be happy with Jenna (one of the best elimination records ever yet no wins). But I hope the edit isn't pointing to a Camila win. 

Still wishing Jemmye (hilarious!) and Veronica (nostalgia!) made the finals, but at least hoping they'll appear next season. 

Agreed that Jordan and Cara's feud seems calculated. That said, no Challenge format has ever had a 4th season. Will Rivals be the first?

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 1

Manufactured, calculated and annoying AF, is what it is. 

One very nice moment was Derrick acting like an adult and congratulating the winners of the challenge, pointing out that he coaches kids sports and the first thing they teach is sportsmanship. It was an excellent contrast with Camilla acting like an overgrown five-year-old when she couldn't complete the puzzle fast enough. 

For both the redemption challenge and the challenge puzzles, I would have put screens or dividers between each person so the challengers could not see what their neighbors were working on. Both puzzles could be copied fairly easily. 

• Love 6

Cara gets her emotions too wrapped up in this game, but I love her because she's an awesome competitor and she deserves to be in the final. I love her friendship with CT and it would be cool if they ended up winning the whole thing. Just wish she would separate herself from Camila because  Camila's not a good person.

I can't stand Jordan so too bad he made it to the final. I hope Derrick and Jenna can make it to the final too out of the six that lost. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sabretooth said:

One very nice moment was Derrick acting like an adult and congratulating the winners of the challenge, pointing out that he coaches kids sports and the first thing they teach is sportsmanship. It was an excellent contrast with Camilla acting like an overgrown five-year-old when she couldn't complete the puzzle fast enough. 

For both the redemption challenge and the challenge puzzles, I would have put screens or dividers between each person so the challengers could not see what their neighbors were working on. Both puzzles could be copied fairly easily. 

Derrick has always been one of my favs - CT is #1, but he has always been a close 2nd. Yep - I'm old and have watched since their seasons. And yes I squeed a little when I saw he was on this season. I felt so bad for him to be stuck with her. "He wouldn't let me leave...." waaa, I didn't see a chain stuck to her. Fingers crossed for Derrick in the final. Could care less about the girls. 

• Love 2

Regarding the Jordan/Cara Rivals Conspiracy - do y'all think Cara is on it, or Jordan is just playing her? I'd like to believe she's in on it, because she's acting SO ANNOYING, but I can see Jordan egging her on without letting her in on why - she's so easily rattled that she doesn't even have to know there's a conspiracy afoot to be part of it!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Steph619 said:

Cara gets her emotions too wrapped up in this game, but I love her because she's an awesome competitor and she deserves to be in the final. I love her friendship with CT and it would be cool if they ended up winning the whole thing. Just wish she would separate herself from Camila because  Camila's not a good person.

I can't stand Jordan so too bad he made it to the final. I hope Derrick and Jenna can make it to the final too out of the six that lost. 

Unfortunately, I think the loyalty was reinforced by Camilla guarding Cara's head.  The other girls seem so intimidated by Camilla that they let her keep them away.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

God cm is terrible this season. She is the most entitled to me this season. Her and Camillia.

The only upside was Johnny leaving.  Because I’ll miss Jemyee and Leroy and even Veronica.

I kind of want Hunter to get the last place in the final, he seems nice enough and he’s gotten pretty screwed over this season. So.. yeah. Also Jenna for the girls because Camillia is terrible. 

I quoted you but really I could have quoted anyone else in saying that this episode made me sick of Cara.  I have been a fan of her since she first came on and she was always sort of the underdog.  However, this season she is coming off far too entitled for my liking.  Maybe she has been like this in the past and I have had blinders on (cute girls will do that to me) but this season and especially this last episode has really made her entitlement stand out.  

First Leroy and now CM, man this season sucks.

Edited by BK1978
  • Love 1

I still don't like Hunter. Can't forgive him for saying "females" were "replaceable" on his previous challenge. He's a douche and I hate his voice. He's also stupid to risk permanent damage to try and compete.

Please, let Derrick make the final! I want Jenna to be the last woman.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Rebecca said:

I still don't like Hunter. Can't forgive him for saying "females" were "replaceable" on his previous challenge. He's a douche and I hate his voice. He's also stupid to risk permanent damage to try and compete.

Please, let Derrick make the final! I want Jenna to be the last woman.

Thank you! I agree...I just don't like him.  He should go home. 

I hope Jenna gets the last spot.  Anyone but Camilla. She will then blame everyone because she lost that spot too. 

• Love 5
On 10/24/2017 at 11:16 PM, TiffanyNichelle said:

I liked that Kailah and Jenna both helped the guys dig up their bags when they could have sat back and did nothing since they were out. Contrast that to Camilla who blamed Derrick for making her help him and somehow that slowed her down?

I liked that they showed that. It really showed the difference between these girls and CM and Camila. Camila whined that Derek wouldn't let her leave and CM left CT in the dust. Even Tori stayed to help Jordan and didn't leave until he told her to go. I know there is no love lost between Hunter and Kailah but I liked that he acknowledged that she stayed to help him.

I was so happy when I saw Camila didn't make it and then TJ tells them they have one more shot. That annoyed me. Go Jenna!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I liked that they showed that. It really showed the difference between these girls and CM and Camila. Camila whined that Derek wouldn't let her leave and CM left CT in the dust.

IDK that it showed all that much.  CM asked CT if she could go and he said yes.  I thought Tori did the same (& it seemed to be a difference of maybe a minute between when each girl left and their partner following).  I'm actually more impressed by Kailah staying to help Hunter (the guy she can't stand) after they realized there was no way she'd place top 2.

• Love 4

@OnceSane I may have missed the exchange between CM and CT then because all I remember was her in her talking head saying "sorry, I gotta go!" indicating she just ran as as soon as she had her puzzle pieces. To me it looked like Tori was helping Jordan and he just told her "Go!" and she went. Agree on Kailah.

• Love 3

Y'all, this occurred to me during the pod but I forgot and had to double back to say: I hope Kim and Joe's discussion of Johnny being 100% for sure gone wasn't a jinx - what if Hunter is disqualified bc of his hand for the next challenge? They need an even number of men and women, Johnny was next in line after the winners of the last challenge...(I don't read spoilers so maybe this is a naive paranoid thought, and it's certainly strange, chronologically impossible magical thinking to think events can be jinxed from the future, but STILL WHAT IF)

• Love 1
17 hours ago, itainttippithebird said:

Y'all, this occurred to me during the pod but I forgot and had to double back to say: I hope Kim and Joe's discussion of Johnny being 100% for sure gone wasn't a jinx - what if Hunter is disqualified bc of his hand for the next challenge? They need an even number of men and women, Johnny was next in line after the winners of the last challenge...(I don't read spoilers so maybe this is a naive paranoid thought, and it's certainly strange, chronologically impossible magical thinking to think events can be jinxed from the future, but STILL WHAT IF)

If you are paranoid, so am I because I had the same thought.  But I am thinking that even if Hunter has to bow out, the other two guys can just compete for the last spot in the finals.  If they brought him back I would be screaming producer shenanigans from the top of my lungs.

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Rascotes said:

Hunter has really grown on me this season especially after being little more than wallpaper in his first go around.  In contrast I've grown to kind of dislike CM after always being fairly tolerant of her.  

It's always amusing watching Johnny go home.  Even more so when you know he's about to hear he just lost his shot at a million.  

Jenna remains fairly likable but I'm getting a little bored with her.  She seems out of place in a season that is supposed to be featuring the nastiest players around.

Camilla needs to go and not return.  Honestly she's just a vile person and not the kind of villain that's enjoyable to root against.  When she's on i just want to change the channel.

I totally agree with the bolded part.  I think it every time they show them fighting.  

On 10/25/2017 at 2:24 PM, Lantern7 said:

Just so I'm on the same page . . . $1 million is the total payout for all finalists that complete the last mission, right? As opposed to the winners getting seven figures apiece? I'm betting most of the kids think it's the former. If it makes them feel better, I reckon the grand prize would exceed even Johnny's half-ill-gotten gains.

The absolute most that any one of them could win would be 500k, and that's if they made it winner-take-all, which would be unlikely. I'd think the 500k for each sex would be split among the top 3 winners, with the 4th getting nothing.  Of course they do this every season, TJ explains the total prize and they immediately cut to a series of talking heads with the contestants being excited about winning the total prize amount, as though they've completely misunderstood him. Yet, many of them have competed on season after season, so they must know how it works.  Year after year I am completely mystified by this phenomenon.  And yet, through all those years, somehow none of them have ever sounded quite as stupid as Tony's proclamation that "a million dollars buys a lot of diapers!" 

• Love 2

I think the breakdown is 3rd place takes 15K each, 2nd place gets 35K each and the Winners get 450K each.

Personally I think it should have been more something like 1st place gets 350K, 2nd place get 100K and 3rd place gets 50K but they didn't ask me.

• Love 3