Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Freedom & Whisky

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, lovetowrite73 said:

No, no, no, HELL NO to that conversation between Claire and Sandy. That just goes to show that Frank used his own version of what was going on to tell Sandy. Sandy doesn't get to blame Claire for Frank staying in that marriage. That was Frank's choice and his alone. I wish that scene wasn't in the episode.

I didn't like it but once I understood the purpose of the scene - to make think about wasted time and opportunities - I felt better about it. 

2 hours ago, areca said:

She was marginally less dreadful this time around.  But yes he's going to have to carry it until or if she gets it together.  I too have absolutely no idea why they didn't just hire an American.  I am certain there was an American actor who would have looked more like Sam and been better than Sophie struggling with the material and accent.

They can't hire an American actor, I don't think - I'm not sure of the details but it's got something to do with their agreement to film in the UK.   I think they can hire Americans for one-off roles, like Geneva, but not for starring/recurring roles.

Did no one else but me notice how weird Joe Abernathy's accent was?  

• Love 1

Charlie Brown first aired in 1965.  It's always shown in the first week or so of December though and I think we were supposed to think those scenes were right at Christmas.  The Apollo 8 broadcast the hospital staff were all watching was Dec. 21, 1968.

Yes, I'm bored and feeling especially pedantic today.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, lovetowrite73 said:

No, no, no, HELL NO to that conversation between Claire and Sandy. That just goes to show that Frank used his own version of what was going on to tell Sandy. Sandy doesn't get to blame Claire for Frank staying in that marriage. That was Frank's choice and his alone. I wish that scene wasn't in the episode.

I kind of liked that scene only because I felt like the show was making Frank a bit too sympathetic.  I kind of liked seeing him in a less favorable light, as I did not remember feeling sympathetic towards him when I read the books.  I realize that's partly because I was judging everything through the select memories Claire chose to share with us, but I had no sympathy for book Frank.  I like having an excuse to lack sympathy for show Frank :-)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, toolazy said:

I didn't like it but once I understood the purpose of the scene - to make think about wasted time and opportunities - I felt better about it. 

They can't hire an American actor, I don't think - I'm not sure of the details but it's got something to do with their agreement to film in the UK.   I think they can hire Americans for one-off roles, like Geneva, but not for starring/recurring roles.

Did no one else but me notice how weird Joe Abernathy's accent was?  

Oh wow, is this true? That explains it then. That's a shame.

8 hours ago, areca said:

It's only because of the books that anyone knows.  They won't even think twice about it.

I haven't gotten very far with the books but it was clear to me the bones were someone we knew due to Claire's reaction/intuition about them and the method of death, apparent race/sex of victim, etc.

14 hours ago, lianau said:

I'm looking forward to the theories from the non readers as to what the bones are doing there . I hope they'll discuss it .

9 hours ago, areca said:

It's only because of the books that anyone knows.  They won't even think twice about it.

A couple have.

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

A couple have.

Really?  Where?  I haven't seen any questions about a woman being murdered that they don't know dies anywhere?  Nor have I seen any questions about her being psychic.  I'd love to see these discussions as well, they must be pretty funny :)

So... I loved this episode.  I wasn't bored at all, and I think Sophie Skelton is getting better.  She's not perfect, sure, but better.  She didn't ruin any scenes for me, as she has in previous episodes.

Yes, I hated the Sandy scene.  That woman is awful, and Frank is awful.  But I understood the point and why Claire didn't just deck her with a right hook.  At least they finally showed Frank as a liar!

I was also on the edge of my seat waiting for the -fade to black-...  I loved what they did and where they ended it.  

I can't say I'm a huge Roger fan from the books, but Rik Rankin is turning me in to one, no doubt.

And finally, I liked the changes they made.  Claire making her own dress makes so much more sense than buying something "modern yet old" from a store!  And preparing to go back from Boston instead of Scotland made sense too.  The goodbye scene between Claire and Sophie nearly made me cry.  (Disclaimer - I never cry, so something nearly making me cry means it was *really* well done, IMO.)  

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, areca said:

Really?  Where?  I haven't seen any questions about a woman being murdered that they don't know dies anywhere?  Nor have I seen any questions about her being psychic.  I'd love to see these discussions as well, they must be pretty funny :)

One person in the unsullied thread here thinks the bones are of Claire herself and posited that maybe she gets murdered.

16 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

And finally, I liked the changes they made.  Claire making her own dress makes so much more sense than buying something "modern yet old" from a store!  And preparing to go back from Boston instead of Scotland made sense too.  The goodbye scene between Claire and Sophie nearly made me cry.  (Disclaimer - I never cry, so something nearly making me cry means it was *really* well done, IMO.)  

Graphia and Roberts talked about how they struggled with the logistics of that-they were in South Africa-do they go back to Scotland to show that Claire did indeed return to the Stones? Then they recalled the line in the pilot about the puddle so used that as a transition to show she made it through.

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

One person in the unsullied thread here thinks the bones are of Claire herself and posited that maybe she gets murdered.

Oh that's a good one.  I thought the OP I replied to (I don't know if that was you) meant they would speculate about Geillis, not just the bones in general and I couldn't figure out how they'd get there.

Edited by areca

THE GOOD

Everything is better with Roger.  This episode drags until that yellow cab appears and the soundtrack kicks into . . . is that Otis Redding?  And then . . . Roger!  I actually cheered out loud – especially since, as a reader, it was wholly unexpected to me.

Aaaand then the music fades, we hear sounds of fighting and we see Roger's “Oh shit” face – the same one we saw the last time he walked in on a Claire/Brianna argument.  But it’s okay!  Because everything is better with Roger.

When Roger says to Claire “Can I pour you a whiskey?” I thought at first that that was bad writing.  He’s the guest -- it’s Claire’s place to offer it to him.  But then he said “I have some news” and I realized what he was about to tell Claire and it made PERFECT sense that he would side-step the norms of etiquette in order to ensure she had a dram of whiskey down her before he dropped his bomb-shell.

“How can help?  What can I do?”  Oh Roger.  That was EXACTLY the right thing to say.  I know Jamie is our “King of Men” but Roger – he’s a right prince that one is.

“Thank you for a lovely dinner.  I think I’ll retire now.  I’m a bit jetlagged.” Oh what a brilliant bit of writing that was.  He’s SO disappointed by her reaction but maintaining the obligatory stiff upper lip rather than letting his feelings show.  I just LOVE Roger.

When Claire is looking at the bones and learning the woman was “decapitated with a dull blade” she unconsciously puts here hand to her throat – the hand wearing Jamie’s wedding ring – so it’s in plain view when Joe asks again about Claire’s “man in Scotland.”

I liked Joe telling Claire that people knew she and Frank were not “Ozzy and Harriet” and his encouraging her not miss out on a second chance with the man she “never stopped” loving.  I know some people aren’t too happy with Claire’s declaration (to Roger) that she wished he hadn’t told her what he’d found nor are they happy with the scene where Sandy confronts Claire at the reception.  But I think I support the writer’s decision to show us that Claire’s decision to go back was not easily made and those interaction (with Joe and Sandy) help us to understand how Claire changes her mind and reaches the decision to leave Brianna and risk everything for a chance to reclaim the love of her life.  The scene after the reception where Claire reaffirms how much she loves Brianna and Brianna essentially give Claire permission to go back is, I think, all part of a carefully planned set of scenes to ensure that we, the viewers, don’t think Claire is cavalier in abandoning her daughter.  I wonder if they heard some comments to that effect when Claire blithely announced in the season 2 finale “I can go back.” 

“History can’t be trusted.”  Whooo boy there was a lot going on in that cloister scene.  Brianna can be forgiven (by me) for that declaration given all she’s just learned about the lies in her own personal history but damn, what a slap in the face to Roger-the-historian, especially given the very personal story he shared about his own personal history. I think this was the writers’ way of signaling a fundamental difference in how Roger and Brianna operate in the world and I expect that difference in their perspectives will be a source of recurring conflict and (hopefully) humor in the future.

They FINALLY addressed the issue of gemstones and why the stone was missing from Jamie’s father’s ring in episode 201 and why it wasn’t in Claire’s bodice where she had tucked it away. Yay!  The bit about her “jeweled” watch from the first trip through the stone circle was a bit of clever ret-conning too.  I had always hand-waved away the fact that the watch just disappeared but now they have established that a trip through time burns up gemstones and can even rip the item right off of Claire.

OMG, the Batman theme over the sewing montage was hysterical.  I gather (based on the “Inside the Episode”) that that is an inside joke.  They started referring to the outfit Claire makes as the bat suit because of the implicit “utility belt” of all the hidden pockets and, apparently, that nomenclature worked its way into the episode.

Claire asking to “borrow” Brianna’s blouse made me think of that wedding tradition – “Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.”  In a way, Claire's journey is like a wedding – a breaking of ties with one family to establish a new life with one’s chosen life-partner.  So I’m glad she had something borrowed from Brianna to bless her journey.

The way Roger gazes at Brianna while she’s opening her gift is adorable.  Jamie is still the undefeated champion of the sexy smolder but Roger gives good puppy-dog eyes.  And the kiss that followed was very sweet.  I’m glad that Roger & Bree got a nice closing moment like that (since I assume that’s the last we’ll see of them this season.)

The step over the puddle and across time reprising the step off the plane and onto the dock in France in first episode of season 2 was perfection. How funny to learn (from the “Inside the Episode”) that it was actually a work-around due to their wanting to avoid having to go back to the stone circle.

Ending with Jamie fainting and Claire’s startled expression was genius.  How wonderful to leave us laughing after such an emotional episode.

THE BAD

Sandy at the reception.  Words fail me.  Oh wait, no they don’t.  Fuck off Sandy!

THE UGLY

I get that the surgery scene was intended to show what a good surgeon Claire was and how she was cool under pressure but . . . ew.

Ye gads, what is Brianna wearing in the scene where Roger arrives?  A forest green top and olive green pants?  Seriously?  And the forest green shirt blends into the forest green paint on the wall.  WTH?  I feel certain this is one of those times when the clothing changed color under the studio lights because I feel confident that Terry would NEVER deliberately put those two colors together.

That yellow robe.  ‘Nuf said.

UNANSWERED QUESTIONS

Joe says, of the skeleton, “There were artifacts found with her.”  Ooooh, what do you suppose he means?  Not the gemstones – Jamie & Claire took those.

OTHER

The title card FREAKED me out because I thought it signaled that they were jumping back in time to Brianna’s first Christmas.  I thought for a moment that all those behind–the-scenes moments we’ve heard about commemorating Tobias’ last day were a gigantic con.  I was relieved that was NOT the case, though, on a certain level, I wasn’t wrong.  Frank’s photo and mentions of Frank were all over this episode.  I hope the ladies of the online “Tobias’ Tribe” were gratified by that.

I heartily regret not having whiskey in the house for this episode. 

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Ye gads, what is Brianna wearing in the scene where Roger arrives?  A forest green top and olive green pants?  Seriously?  And the forest green shirt blends into the forest green paint on the wall.  WTH?  I feel certain this is one of those times when the clothing changed color under the studio lights because I feel confident that Terry would NEVER deliberately put those two colors together.

On my screen, they were olive colored pants and a kingfisher blue sweater.  Which, IMO, go very well together and are the perfect colors to compliment a redhead's complexion because she's an "autumn."

• Love 3

The accent is one of the few things that doesn't bother me about Sophie. If you have ever talked to people raised by foreign parents the way Brianna was raised in Boston by English parents, they often have muddled accents from time to time. Certain words and phrases they have heard since childhood, a slightly off accent sometimes, etc.. I had a friend raised by Scottish parents in Australia who's parents were called in for a meeting with his teacher for his "speech impediment" in grade school which just turned out to be the influence of his parents. A slip here or there would actually be expected from Brianna.

I'm much more bothered by her not looking like Jamie, not being tall, not being striking enough to draw the attention of others, lacking Jamie's je ne sais quoi, on top of not being a good enough actress to hold her own against all the other amazing actors in the cast. Seems like she should have at least one of those traits.

5 hours ago, AheadofStraight said:

Not much to say about the other stuff that hasn't already been said. Did hate the Sandy stuff and the show continuing to give Frank a tongue bath...?

Yeah, I'm with everyone. I get why it was in there, but it still felt a bit too much "poor poor Frank". I always felt the books were pretty clear that Frank wouldn't have been faithful no matter how much Claire had loved him and put into their marriage...

Glad they spent some time with Joe. Has anyone heard if we might be running into the same actor In the Caribbean?

• Love 3

I just took a quick peek on the "no book talk" thread, and what I find disheartening is that some viewers don't realize that the time travelers are risking their lives each time they go through the stones.  They are thinking that Claire should travel back and forth to be with both Jamie and Brianna?  Ouch.  I suppose that it would have been better if the show had incorporated how rough traveling through the stones is and that Claire doesn't think she could do it again.  Some viewers apparently think it's as easy as walking through the front door...

• Love 5

I wished they would have included Joe and Claire talking romance novels. Hee! That's when they started to become BFFs.

Oh, Roger! You're awesome.

If Sophie needs more hair, they should use clip-in extensions rather than that wig.

1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

They FINALLY addressed the issue of gemstones and why the stone was missing from Jamie’s father’s ring in episode 201 and why it wasn’t in Claire’s bodice where she had tucked it away. Yay!  The bit about her “jeweled” watch from the first trip through the stone circle was a bit of clever ret-conning too.  I had always hand-waved away the fact that the watch just disappeared but now they have established that a trip through time burns up gemstones and can even rip the item right off of Claire.

Not so much for me. I remember the first episode pretty well because I watched it several times in my attempts to induct friends/family as new viewers and I ended up paying attention to Claire's wardrobe because I was curious as to how it went from the outfit she had, to looking like a shift. It was a white dress with a belt and she had a watch. She had all those things when she woke up from coming through the stones and then she took a nasty tumble down a hill and that's when the belt and watch disappeared.

1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

The late '60s/early '70s loved their palates of green. It was even popular as appliance colors. Mustard-yellow too. So it's a wardrobe choice that works for me.

• Love 2

It's been a while since I read the books, but didn't Brianna basically "blackmail" Claire into going back?  Maybe not that severe, but I remember her telling Claire she would go if she didn't...or am I remembering that wrong? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But logically that's not even possible , Claire's bones can't exist twice . The version with flesh attached and then as a skeleton and they're  even in the same room . 

14 minutes ago, lianau said:

But logically that's not even possible , Claire's bones can't exist twice . The version with flesh attached and then as a skeleton and they're  even in the same room . 

Why can't they exist twice?  Suppose Claire does die in the 18th century.  Where would her bones go?

• Love 4
19 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know I was confused when they talked about the bones in the buik but were those bones Claire and Joe discussing Geillis’s bones?

Since I don’t care for Bree at all, that explains my boredom. And honestly, all I care about is Jamie and Claire, so I’m glad to say goodbye to the future. Hopefully for the rest of the season.

Can’t wait to see Wee Ian! But a big Giant BOO! having to wait two weeks!??

I was getting tired of melodramatic Claire. I was amazed at how much younger she looked once she went back. Partly no dramatic 60s eyes makeup and ironed hair, but just the lack of depression too. 

I believe they were Geillis' bones, weren't they? Why didn't she tell Joe about the stones? Didn't she in the book because he was supposed to "look after" Brianna? 

16 hours ago, Petunia846 said:

but one thing I noticed, was in the costuming. At first, at the start of the episode, Bree was wearing tartan fabrics. Her skirt at school, and later that coat at the ceremony for Frank. Then later, after she decides to go back, Claire's costume gets some tartan. She had a skirt while she was talking to Bree, and then the coat she wore when she was leaving was kind of plaid-ish. I thought that was a nice addition.

I'm watching with my aunt this week - she and my uncle are obsessed with this show- and she and I noticed that right away. She is only partway into reading the first book, so it was so hard not to say anything about anything book related. Although she immediately thought they were Geillis' bones but when I asked if she really wanted to know, she said no, so I did not confirm nor deny.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Why can't they exist twice?  Suppose Claire does die in the 18th century.  Where would her bones go?

If those were her bones, Claire would be dead and alive at the same time in the same time. 

I too thought those were possibly Claire's bones and that she was murdered in the Carribean.  But based on what I know from this series I didn't think the writer would kill off Claire, so I figured the bones were from a character we had met before. 

I liked the emotional beats between Claire and Brianna this episode. I understand Claire's apprehension at seeing Jaime again- of course he wouldn't forget her, but a more logical question would be what if he was happily married with more children? Would he leave his 18th century wife who married him in good faith to be with Claire? Would they need to live a double life?

I thought there was some amazing silent acting from Catorina (spelling) before she spoke to Jaime. An apprehension, a hope, her entire face lit up! But why two weeks?!!

I interpreted the scene with Sandy differently- firstly it wasn't her place to speak to Claire. But I don't think Frank ever TOLD Sandy "Claire won't let me go.", I think he told her exactly what Sandy said, "he said he stayed for Brianna but I know it was because he was still in love with you."......That was her grief talking, it was easier to blame the other woman (you know, his wife) than admit that something else was more important than being with her. It's a common sentiment, but as a writing device it showed that it's not good to waste time and live with regret. Maybe Sandy doesn't regret spending those years waiting for Frank, but she cannot get those years back. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, lianau said:

If those were her bones, Claire would be dead and alive at the same time in the same time. 

Right, but that's the way it has to be.  If Claire lives the rest of her natural life with Jamie, she is going to die before she is born.  No way around that.  I don't understand why you are saying it's impossible.  We know for a fact that this is true of Geillis Duncan.  She was born in the 20th Century and died in the 18th Century.  Her bones were found in the 20th Century, but they were still on the earth during all of the 20th Century, including the period in which she was born and grew up and before she went through the stones.  So she was dead and alive at the same time in the same time.

I know in the books they say you can't be alive at the same time as another version of yourself, but you have to be able to be alive at the same time that your bones are resting in the ground.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Finished my rewatch and just really loved this episode even more than before.  Sophie was stronger so I have hope for the future.  Rik is amazing as always.  Joe is great, and I think he does a good accent!  As before, LOVED the final scene.  I’ve had a really crappy day after weeks/months of stress and damn is this show helping keep the sun shining!

• Love 6

I actually really enjoyed this episode. It didn't even strike me until about 45 minutes in that it had been entirely in 1968 - no back and forth between centuries. 

I agree with everyone who was aghast at the Sandy scene at the reception. That was awful. Claire definitely showed restraint in not punching her in the throat! But yes, it made the point - time is of the essence.

I have to say, that when i read the books, I never much cared for Roger. Sometimes I felt as if he was just this huge liability. It's been many years since reading the books, and I'm the first to admit that I don't remember much of the details, but I definitely recall everyone having to care for Roger all the time. I know he almost died - and that was horrible - but he just always seemed like a burden. However, this version of Roger - so far - I find utterly endearing. I don't even know if Bree deserves him! The look on his face as he watched her open his present was enough to melt my very cold heart. I also think the actor is very handsome and I love his accent. He is a real mensch. 

I'm sort of sorry we didn't get to see how Claire went through the stones, but I guess since this is her third time through, it might have been repetitive. There's only so much that can be included per episode.

I loved all the jewel tone colors that showed up in this episode - the Christmas decor, Bree's purple tights and purple watch. I liked the way the hazy, out of focus Christmas lights appeared in the background when Bree was looking over Frank's pipe and the pictures of herself as a baby, and then also later, when Claire and her colleagues were watching the moon broadcast and she looked out the window up at the moon. The whole show is so beautifully shot. I watch it on a big screen TV and always either dim or turn off the lights, and it's like being in a movie theater. It's truly a sensual experience.

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 4

Haven't read all through the comments yet, but one thing I wanted to mention is what Claire said to Bree about transitioning to the past. She said, the first time, I was frightened. The second time, I was heartbroken. This time, I want it to be peaceful. When she said that, I got a chill down my spine because it made me feel like she was announcing her death ... I want this time to be peaceful. And for all intents and purposes, she was announcing her death. By going back to the 18th Century with no plans to return, she will be dead to all she left behind. Her first time traveling, resulted in an uproar. Frank looking for her. Police being called to search for weeks. The second time, was heartbreaking for Jamie, herself, and even for Frank, after he heard what she had to say. But this time she put her affairs in order, said her goodbye to her loved ones, and left the 20th Century in peace.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

STARZ put out a link to the reunion scene for those who feel the need to just watch it over and over and over.

https://www.starz.com/videos/embed/4ffdc74d-a539-4ee1-a653-e14abb8d694c?footer=false&cid=1037382

I’ve only watched it three times so far!??

BOO! On STARZ not showing Jamie fainting!!!

I just love how his whole body stills-as if he’s holding his breath, not believing what he’s hearing, and instead of turning to his left, which would be quicker, does a slow, almost full turn. His his eyes are narrowed in suspicion, but when he sees Claire, his eyes widen-in happiness, or a ‘can it be trrrue?’ look, before he falls dead away in a faint.

Me: ❤️???????❤️

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 5

I enjoyed the episode and yay for the printshop!

But quick nitpick. Why did Bree and Claire have such an intimitate conversation in the middle of Harvard? And why was Claire carrying that photocopy in her purse? That was weird.

That scene should've been at the house.

On a shallow note, Richard is the cutest thing ever.

• Love 1

I think shows that film in the UK might get tax breaks based on the percentage of cast/crew is British, and even with other actors from Europe, the visa issues might be less of a hindrance (for now) in comparison to hiring Americans. The series isn't an indie project but Outlander doesn't have a limitless budget compared to projects like the Marvel/DECU/Harry Potter movies or even Game of Thrones.

There are also union rules concerning American actors which are not the same as those that British actors abide by. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned by the producers at some point.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, jmnf19 said:

does this play on Starz on Saturdays? I seem comments from 21 hours ago. I'm in Canada and it just finished airing now.

It's available on-demand on STARZ.com starting at midnight Saturday night.  I'm sure many fans stay up to watch it as soon as it becomes available and comment right away.  (Not me. -- I like to wake up to it on a Sunday morning and spend a good part of the day analyzing it.  If I watched at mid-night I'd never get to bed.)

11 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Why did Bree and Claire have such an intimitate conversation in the middle of Harvard?

I assumed it was prompted by Bree seeing "the blonde" approach Claire at the reception so she asked about it immediately afterward,  It wasn't as if anyone was close enough to them to overhear -- or would care even if they could overhear.

Now if you want to talk about unrealistic intimate conversations in a crowded place we have to go back to ep 304 and talk about Geneva propositioning Jamie in a busy alleyway where anyone who overheard any part of THAT conversation would have been very interested indeed.

Edited by WatchrTina
3 minutes ago, jmnf19 said:

Can I ask, does this play on Starz on Saturdays? I seem comments from 21 hours ago. I'm in Canada and it just finished airing now.

It plays on demand via Amazon Prime at midnight on Saturday-early Sunday morning.

2 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

There are also union rules concerning American actors which are not the same as those that British actors abide by. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned by the producers at some point.

Interesting. Because I just learned the actor who played Francis on Poldark has a natural AMERICAN accent.

1 minute ago, WatchrTina said:

It's available on-demand on STARZ.com starting at midnight Saturday night.  I'm sure many fans stay up to watch it as soon as it becomes available and comment right away.  (Not me. -- I like to wake up to it on a Sunday morning and spend a good part of the day analyzing it.  If I watched at mid-night I'd never get to bed.)

Ah, thanks. I couldn't figure it out.

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It plays on demand via Amazon Prime at midnight on Saturday-early Sunday morning.

Thanks. Odd that they'd show it on Demand before the show airs.  I'll make sure to stay away from the thread until the show airs here.

4 minutes ago, jmnf19 said:

Ah, thanks. I couldn't figure it out.

Thanks. Odd that they'd show it on Demand before the show airs.  I'll make sure to stay away from the thread until the show airs here.

They have always made it available the night before/at midnight on my cable for previous seasons; just this season Comcast decided not to, so I’m glad there are other ways to see it. I always watched it before the official airing. We all talked about that when this season premiered-it’s also why I think the mods unlock the episode threads at midnight Saturday instead of at 9:00pm on Sunday. Which I know I’m very thankful for!

• Love 1

So . . . the reunion clip that STARZ put out isn't enough.  It starts too late and ends too soon so I've been re-watching the whole Scotland section on-demand and I noticed something.  As Claire stands, hesitating, in front of the door to the shop, the music builds.  When she finally pushes it open it crescendos in the manner that is usually used to signal the END of an episode.

Wicked, tricky, false show-runners!

Then, of course, the music drops and the wee bell rings and we are in the shop.  It was not until the music fell that I KNEW we would see Jamie.  Up until then I really was worried that they were going to fade to black as Claire pushed the door open.  In that scenario the next episode would begin with the tinkling of the doorbell, which is basically what they hinted was going to happen in their teasers and in the naming of the next episode ("A. Malcolm").

Can I just go on record as saying if they had done that I was planning to fucking RIOT in this board and any other social media I have access to?  I would NOT have been best pleased if they had done that.

But they didn't do that, they played nice, they let us see THE MOMENT and then they made me laugh.  So thank-you show-runners.  You're still wicked.

ETA:  So now I have a theory that the NEXT episode will go back in time a bit along Jamie's story and we may see something of how he became a printer, or perhaps we'll just see a them setting the stage a bit (introducing us to some of the players in "Alexander Malcom's" life) before bringing us to the big reunion moment from Jamie's side.  That wold be nice.  But they shouldn't spend too much time on that because there is some weeping over photos and hot reunion sex we need to get to before the damn "French farce" breaks out.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

And let me just add that I’m glad I wasn’t wrong when I posted in last week’s thread about seeing the reunion in this episode! I knew it wouldn’t be the COMPLETE reunion, but I knew we’d see Jamie and the faint!

So doing my happy ? ????

• Love 2

Overall, it was a good episode. Loved the wardrobe they had for 60's Claire. I'm in love with the brown sweater dress and blue turtleneck. And seeing her without the makeup and hair helmet, so happy! Music was pretty awesome this time too.

Loved the cab ride/carriage exit with the callback to the intro to Voyager. Also happy with the change leaving Bree in Boston, safe at home with Roger, rather than over in Scotland. But, that also might be because of Sophie's 'acting'. 

Print shop!!!! I cheered. And I became verrry happy when we actually saw Jamie see Claire. The faint was cute too, but I really wish they had kept him only fainting when she touched his nose.

Please let this be the last of Frank for the series. He's dead and we still have to deal with a memorial, a photo, and his wretched FAKE non buik mistress? Ugh. Shallow note, she didn't age as well as our Sassanach did...

If we're done with Bree for the season, can she go off for acting lessons?

Gellis' bones - sad we didn't get the "call me Ishmael" line from Joe. 

Edited by dbell1
Typing on a Kindle sucks.
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Interesting. Because I just learned the actor who played Francis on Poldark has a natural AMERICAN accent.

He (Kyle Soller) is American but is married to a British actress and lives in the UK. Hannah James (Geneva) grew up in America but has an English mother and went to university in Great Britain. I would guess that people with dual citizenship count as British for whatever regulations these productions might have to follow with respect to nationality.

Weird to think of someone handling their own skeleton but it's perfectly possible in this crazy time travel universe! I know that's not what's going on, but it's not a bad theory if you didn't know what happens.

Edited by Dejana
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

They have always made it available the night before/at midnight on my cable for previous seasons; just this season Comcast decided not to, so I’m glad there are other ways to see it. I always watched it before the official airing. We all talked about that when this season premiered-it’s also why I think the mods unlock the episode threads at midnight Saturday instead of at 9:00pm on Sunday. Which I know I’m very thankful for!

You sure about Comcast? Because that's what I have and I'm able to watch it early. I don't wait til midnight, but I watched the episode Sunday morning OnDemand when I woke up.

10 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

You sure about Comcast? Because that's what I have and I'm able to watch it early. I don't wait til midnight, but I watched the episode Sunday morning OnDemand when I woke up.

I wasn’t able to watch the premiere, and when I was rewatching season one on demand yesterday, waiting for midnight, the most current episode still wasn’t available. ?‍♀️

I checked after watching this episode on Amazon.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I am loving the series but have not yet read the book (just downloaded book one recently).  I noticed on the print shop sign that there is a Freemasonry square and compass symbol.  I'm wondering if this is foreshadowing.   

Also am very curious about the bones -- my first thought was Geillis.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Biggie B said:

I loved all the jewel tone colors that showed up in this episode - the Christmas decor, Bree's purple tights and purple watch. I liked the way the hazy, out of focus Christmas lights appeared in the background when Bree was looking over Frank's pipe and the pictures of herself as a baby, and then also later, when Claire and her colleagues were watching the moon broadcast and she looked out the window up at the moon. The whole show is so beautifully shot. I watch it on a big screen TV and always either dim or turn off the lights, and it's like being in a movie theater. It's truly a sensual experience.

I do the same. A blacked-out home theater, 65" TV with a complex sound system and bass shakers in my recliner (they make all the difference!). Plus the fact my TV does a decent job at upscaling the image to faux-4k quality, means I get to see intricate details of those amazing costumes and props, but also the hairlines of the wigs, which are particularly annoying. The show is lit, shot and directed beautifully. I'll buy the series on 4k HDR Blu-Ray, if they are ever released in that format, without a second's hesitation.

As a child of the 60s (born in '61), so much of their apartment's set decoration resonated with me 100%, and triggered some powerful memories as I watched. The snow globe and the reflector-backed Christmas tree lights (and the large C9-style outdoor lights, with no garish 21st century inflatable crap decorations) were staples of my childhood Christmases that always make me gooey inside when I see them on screen. And the pipe. Like most men of the day, my own father smoked a pipe (as I do now), and since aromas can bring back some powerful memories, moreso than even sights or sounds, I can see why they added that in there. In truth, an extinguished pipe positively stinks, but I'll handwave that for the sake of the emotion it's supposed to imbue to the scene.

As for Sophie, I don't hate her, but I do think they could have done better. What I do think will happen after she goes back is that she'll need to fit in to the family dynamic, since she'll be living amongst first generation immigrants, and thus she'll eventually take on a more natural (less-fake-American) accent. I hope that's the case anyways. Also, she's still a 20 year old girl (Brianna; Ms. Skelton is 23), so I can forgive her one-dimensionality for now. As her importance to the story increases, and as she gets more worldly, I hope the actor will be able to rise to those challenges.

The print shop. I was expecting that in two weeks, not tonight. I'm glad they did it now and it was everything I could have hoped for.

• Love 2

I've been waiting to see the print shop reunion played out before me for 19 years, since I was a teenager! and I am so pleased. It wasn't exactly as i pictured, but very close as is most of the show, and I just loved both Claire & Jamie in the scene. I got tears in my eyes when Claire stepped off of the carriage and you know that she's so close to seeing Jamie!

• Love 2