Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

How interesting that the hated DW is now such a valuable resource for A and J and Z and T to use, in order to learn about running the farm. Seems like they all live minutes from the farm , so why not just drive to and from their own homes. The boys could then learn together and both have a 9 to 5 learning workday with Matt and the other employees for several weeks. If they took turns moving into the DW, that would certainly double the work to train them and also be counter productive as the lazy boys would come up with all sorts of excuses as to why they had to go back to the DW to see their families during the day. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I think Audrey likes the farm and likes the idea of owning the farm... but Jeremy's family not so much. Auj has never given the impression that she does more than tolerate Jeremy's relatives. 

Agree entirely, and I'm pretty sure that includes Tori. The tension was thick on the beach trip. I think each couple finds the other's baby somewhat of an irritant. 

• Love 11

Auj is a twat.   They tried to make it big in LA and failed because they were not as fantastic as they thought. They moved back to Oregon, at first 3 hours away until TLC probably  said, if you want to get paid, you need to move closer to the farm or they wanted more air time themselves for their stupid 50% bowel movement crap. A sloth has more energy than these two posers 

• Love 12
15 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Auj is a twat.   They tried to make it big in LA and failed because they were not as fantastic as they thought. They moved back to Oregon, at first 3 hours away until TLC probably  said, if you want to get paid, you need to move closer to the farm or they wanted more air time themselves for their stupid 50% bowel movement crap.

Always more.....poop.  :D

• Love 6

I also was surprised that Zach was now showing  some interest in the farm, after years of not being interested. Of course his ideas of wanting to learn and becoming involved seemed to only pertain to the few weeks of pumpkin season. Guess  about one month of work a year would be his limit. Of course Jer became catatonic when it was his turn to explain his ideas of his duties for the farm. Guess he hasn't yet thought about  it beyond renaming it Jeremy Roloff Farm.

• Love 10

So what's happening with Amy and Chris in this episode? As others have mentioned, Chris was quick to be all like, "YOUR house, YOUR plans, YOUR farm, YOUR future," but they shared a knowing, smirky glance at the end of that convo, AND he was a fanboy as he basically skipped and galloped all over the farm -- "There's so much to do here, it would have been so awesome growing up here," etc. 

He's still all over Amy's social media, so if he's not in it for the long term, Amy either doesn't get it or is hanging on and hoping that changes, OR they've tricked all of us and he's moved in. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Molly and Jacob came home for a short visit....hmmm.. how sweet... while it may be true a friend is going to NYC... wonder if another family "summit" took place over the future of Roloff Farms

Edited by sATL
  • Love 4

Amy is clearly upset/annoyed that Matt has a committed future with Caryn and they are making plans of their own.  Things may have changed now since this was filmed in the fall, but Chris is not really committing the way Cayrn has, they are still just "dating".  If her sons are going to run the farm, Amy wants to be part of it, no way she is letting Matt buy her out.  That would mean the boys, Matt and Caryn are Roloff Farms.  No way she is letting that happen.  Wonder where she stand with Chris now.

• Love 7

I personally think Amy is dying for more of a commitment from Chris, sadly, I don't think she is going to get it. Matt can move into his flipper house, sell the double wide and move it off the property and take that cash to build a home on the other side of the farm

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Literata said:

So what's happening with Amy and Chris in this episode? As others have mentioned, Chris was quick to be all like, "YOUR house, YOUR plans, YOUR farm, YOUR future," but they shared a knowing, smirky glance at the end of that convo, AND he was a fanboy as he basically skipped and galloped all over the farm -- "There's so much to do here, it would have been so awesome growing up here," etc. 

He's still all over Amy's social media, so if he's not in it for the long term, Amy either doesn't get it or is hanging on and hoping that changes, OR they've tricked all of us and he's moved in. 

I wonder if he doesn't want anyone to think that he's a gold digger sniffing around for whatever Amy has?  It certainly isn't a good look on Caryn sniffing around what Matt has.

45 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

Amy is clearly upset/annoyed that Matt has a committed future with Caryn and they are making plans of their own.  Things may have changed now since this was filmed in the fall, but Chris is not really committing the way Cayrn has, they are still just "dating".  If her sons are going to run the farm, Amy wants to be part of it, no way she is letting Matt buy her out.  That would mean the boys, Matt and Caryn are Roloff Farms.  No way she is letting that happen.  Wonder where she stand with Chris now.

At the same time, Matt and Caryn apparently had a head start on the relationship.  If i were Amy, I'd die in that house before I let Caryn move her big ass in there.

• Love 16

IMO, the real issue with Matt building his own house on the farm property is that Amy owns half. I thought it was made clear early in the season that Caryn is not to STAY on the farm.  Meaning, no overnights. Matt pretty much confirmed that last night too, when talking about how they each have their own house. But, if he builds a house on the farm land and then Amy says that Caryn is still not welcome, even if she marries Matt, that would be a problem. I sense that it's about keeping Caryn off the farm. I wonder if there is anything in the divorce settlement that specifies that Caryn can't spend the night or live on the property, without Amy's permission. 

• Love 1

I'm sure I don't fully understand the situation, but it seems to me that Amy got the better financial end of the divorce.

If Roloff Farms, Inc. is owned 50/50 by Matt and Amy, and the big house is owned by Roloff Farms, Inc., how is it fair that Amy gets to live in the big house and Matt gets stuck in the DW? The value to Amy of living in the big house is much larger than the value to Matt of living in the DW. (In other words, the fair market value (FMV) of renting the big house would be much larger than the FMV of renting the DW, so Amy is getting more value from Roloff Farms assets than Matt.) Do Matt and Amy pay a FMV rent to Roloff Farms, Inc. for the use of the homes? Who pays for the utilities and maintenance of the homes, do Matt and Amy pay or does Roloff Farms, Inc? 

If Amy gets to live in the big house rent free with utilities paid by Roloff Farms, Inc. it would seem reasonable to me that Matt should also get a big house built and owned by Roloff Farms for him to live in. Amy seemed to say that Matt should pay to have a house built for himself, and he would get his money back when/if the farm was sold. If Matt builds a house owned by him, is he responsible for all utilities and maintenance for that house and, if so, is Amy responsible for utilities and maintenance of the original house?

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, absolutelyido said:

I'm sure I don't fully understand the situation, but it seems to me that Amy got the better financial end of the divorce.

If Roloff Farms, Inc. is owned 50/50 by Matt and Amy, and the big house is owned by Roloff Farms, Inc., how is it fair that Amy gets to live in the big house and Matt gets stuck in the DW? The value to Amy of living in the big house is much larger than the value to Matt of living in the DW. (In other words, the fair market value (FMV) of renting the big house would be much larger than the FMV of renting the DW, so Amy is getting more value from Roloff Farms assets than Matt.) Do Matt and Amy pay a FMV rent to Roloff Farms, Inc. for the use of the homes? Who pays for the utilities and maintenance of the homes, do Matt and Amy pay or does Roloff Farms, Inc? 

If Amy gets to live in the big house rent free with utilities paid by Roloff Farms, Inc. it would seem reasonable to me that Matt should also get a big house built and owned by Roloff Farms for him to live in. Amy seemed to say that Matt should pay to have a house built for himself, and he would get his money back when/if the farm was sold. If Matt builds a house owned by him, is he responsible for all utilities and maintenance for that house and, if so, is Amy responsible for utilities and maintenance of the original house?

Good point about the fairness of Amy getting the big house, but, I suspect that somewhere in the negotiations there was a reason to do it that way.  Sometimes, you give on one thing, but, get more back on another.  So, I take it that Matt got something he really wanted in exchange.  OR, maybe, Matt just did that out of the goodness of his heart. Plus, he designed that kitchen just for her. lol And, maybe, giving Amy the big house was the only way she would agree to keep it and not have a forced sale. 

Ref. your point about Matt getting his money back if he builds on the farm.  This was a new position by Amy, because earlier in the season, Amy had told Matt no when he questioned her about that.  I recall that I posted about it.  So, maybe, she checked the paperwork and she has to do it or maybe, this is all scripted and she got her lines wrong.  It's so convoluted, it's confusing. lol 

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good point about the fairness of Amy getting the big house, but, I suspect that somewhere in the negotiations there was a reason to do it that way.  Sometimes, you give on one thing, but, get more back on another.  So, I take it that Matt got something he really wanted in exchange.  OR, maybe, Matt just did that out of the goodness of his heart. Plus, he designed that kitchen just for her. lol And, maybe, giving Amy the big house was the only way she would agree to keep it and not have a forced sale. 

Ref. your point about Matt getting his money back if he builds on the farm.  This was a new position by Amy, because earlier in the season, Amy had told Matt no when he questioned her about that.  I recall that I posted about it.  So, maybe, she checked the paperwork and she has to do it or maybe, this is all scripted and she got her lines wrong.  It's so convoluted, it's confusing. lol 

Based upon Amy's comment this episode about wanting an outright sale rather than Matt buying her out I would bet on the scenario bolded above. Thanks for the additional info on what Amy said earlier in the season, I had missed that.

• Love 1
(edited)

Matt likely got something in exchange for Amy living in the big house. Also he was the one who moved out in the first place.

As far as Matt building a house on the property using farm money—is he sure he really would want Amy to have a 50% say/interest in that home? I could see Amy and Matt getting into many arguments about the costs involved— Matt no doubt would want to build a customized LP Taj-Mahal whereas Amy would be more practical.  Not to mention the complications that would arise if Matt were to marry Caryn.

All this talk about what to do about the farm in the future—what was the plan before Matt and Amy got divorced? Would Matt then have wanted to move out and let Jer and Auj in the big house?

Edited by Adiba
Wording
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe the divorce & Caryn ?  Or maybe, Amy got the big house - Matt got the double wide and maybe the barn/office for his sole use ?  Either way they both seem miserable being this close to each other.  Its obvious Amy can't stand Matt & Caryn, which again, leads me to believe the affair started way before the divorce.

• Love 5

I don't know if there was anything inappropriate going on between Matt and Caryn, before Matt and Amy separated or divorced, but, Amy sure does act angry over them.  I can only surmise that whether it did or did not happen, Amy believes it did. Maybe, she can't prove it, but, suspects it. There is a such thing as an "emotional affair" that can be more threatening than a physical one. I could see that. Not technical adultery, but.........I don't condone any form of it, but, Amy and Matt were both miserable for many years, by their own accounts.  Continuing with that misery couldn't have been healthy for either one. PLUS, regardless of how much Amy witches about Caryn, she's the one who signed up to be on a tv show with her.  So, how bad could it have been? 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know if there was anything inappropriate going on between Matt and Caryn, before Matt and Amy separated or divorced, but, Amy sure does act angry over them.  I can only surmise that whether it did or did not happen, Amy believes it did. Maybe, she can't prove it, but, suspects it. There is a such thing as an "emotional affair" that can be more threatening than a physical one. I could see that. Not technical adultery, but.........I don't condone any form of it, but, Amy and Matt were both miserable for many years, by their own accounts.  Continuing with that misery couldn't have been healthy for either one. PLUS, regardless of how much Amy witches about Caryn, she's the one who signed up to be on a tv show with her.  So, how bad could it have been? 

Matt and Amy were miserable before Caryn ? hmmm.. I didn;t start watching the show until they were talking divorce,.

So if Matt would start dating someone else - Amy would still be upset. This is starting to sound like a another show I watch.. Ex-wife is upset for decades after the event - and passed that hurt (ie views towards men) along to her daughters. I guess its good that 3 of the 4 kids are married and appear happy. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

IMO, the real issue with Matt building his own house on the farm property is that Amy owns half. I thought it was made clear early in the season that Caryn is not to STAY on the farm.  Meaning, no overnights. Matt pretty much confirmed that last night too, when talking about how they each have their own house. But, if he builds a house on the farm land and then Amy says that Caryn is still not welcome, even if she marries Matt, that would be a problem. I sense that it's about keeping Caryn off the farm. I wonder if there is anything in the divorce settlement that specifies that Caryn can't spend the night or live on the property, without Amy's permission. 

wouldn't that be in a restraining order ? which means one would need grounds to get a judge to sign one - not sure if adultery is grounds.

(edited)

No, couples can incorporate that specification in a divorce agreement (usually when there are minor children in the house), especially since Amy is a part owner of the farm so she gets a say in who is allowed on the property.

Edited by Quof
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, readheaded said:

I wonder if he doesn't want anyone to think that he's a gold digger sniffing around for whatever Amy has?  It certainly isn't a good look on Caryn sniffing around what Matt has.

At the same time, Matt and Caryn apparently had a head start on the relationship.  If i were Amy, I'd die in that house before I let Caryn move her big ass in there.

Spot on! Caryn is going after Matt’s money...absoloutely! The sucking up and flattery is so obvious on her part! You’d think she was sitting across the table from Bradley Cooper or Brad Pitt. 

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Jeremy is a gigantic asshole.

He doesn’t have the drive or gumption that his dad has...lazy, entitled hipster slacker who never had a job in his entire life wants to take over a multi million dollar business with no business experience or executive training. He really is a low energy guy...no enthusiasm for anything...he has a flat affect with little expression. He would bankrupt the farm and it would be in foreclosure within two years.

• Love 7
(edited)

They have 100 acres - can't some be split (ie re-zoned) off from the farm for just living purposes - like 10 acres each?

I have never understood why no one thinks seriously about this. Unless they have plans to do more farming or build an amusement park, they have enough space to build homes for the whole family. Instead they choose to live on top of one another and have awkward run-ins. Jeremy always just assumed he would get the big house. Like why? It's better suited for an LP anyway, but why the hell don't you build your own shit and let your parents have the home that they actually earned? Zach too for that matter. More on that though.

Amy's insecurity is the one thing that keeps me from being completely on her side. It's getting in the way of her making sound/practical decisions and she should probably seek therapy. I think there is a little part of her that wants to stay on the farm because she raised her kids, but it mostly seems like she just doesn't want to be left out. She says that she wants to either stay in the house or sell the farm altogether. So Matt doesn't get to hold on to the farm that he built and put so much time in, much to your disapproval? And I in no way want to side with Matt because he is a douche, but I can't get over the fact that Amy didn't and doesn't really do anything to help with the farm, yet wants to claim ownership over everything on that land. And yes, I get that it was created in their marriage and she's entitled to benefit from it and whatever, but still. If Matt died tomorrow, she wouldn't be able to keep that business going, at least not on her own. Karen's ass probably knows more about how that farm works than Amy and that's a shame. She better step up her game before she gets tossed aside. Even Chris knows what that land/business is worth and that she would be stupid to not hold on to it.

Matt customized that house for the BOTH of them, yet she got to keep it in the divorce. That's fine. Now that he wants to build a home for himself that meets his physical needs, she's doesn't even seem sympathetic. He never asked her to help pay for it, unless I missed that. She's just so paranoid and defensive about everything he says, every idea he has. He's right when he said she would benefit from whatever he does on the farm (she's benefiting from it now), but she's too worried that he's trying to screw her over to see it. I don't see Matt in anyway screwing over the mother of his kids, as sneaky as he is.

I don't think Matt just wants to give the farm to the boys, regardless of how they portrayed it. He built the farm for the kids, to keep it in the family, yes, but I don't believe for one second that he's just going to sit aside and let them have full control.

Jeremy and Zach are such entitled little shits, but I blame Matt and Amy for telling them for so long that they would run it. I don't know how Molly and Jacob really feel but its clear that they want to live their lives outside of the spotlight. Doesn't mean they don't want their share of the family business though. I would.

Jackson is still the cutest little baby ever, Ember still looks like the saddest baby ever.

Amy's dog scared the crap out of me. I thought it was some wild animal that wandered onto the farm.

They have 100 acres - can't some be split (ie re-zoned) off from the farm for just living purposes - like 10 acres each?

Oh most definitely. In the early days, I always wondered how and why they were even together. There were a few tender moments, here and there, but for the most part, there was always some kind of tension. She didn't want him to tell her anything about how to take care of the kids (he often had feedback or complained about stuff they did), he didn't want her to tell him about what to do on the farm. She kept a filthy and he hated it. I'm so glad to see that she has improved in that area because there was always discussion on the boards about how dirty the house was and the kids didn't seem to have chores. They didn't seem compatible at all so it was only a matter of time. I don't know if Matt cheated or not, but the fact that Amy wasn't completely sold on the divorce surprised me. Neither of them seemed happy to be with each other.

Edited by MitaJo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Sad to say, I know acquaintances who divorced where one of the parties - "walks away" from assets. Houses, cars, heirloom items, bank accounts, etc. Yes, credit takes a hit - but sometimes there is a sidepiece or family that can tie them over. Or they rather live "under the radar" (ie move to a different city/state), to keep from living the way it has been. 

Peace of mind and wanting to move forward, can often take the place of assets. Sometimes a person has to walk (or run) from something, to move onward something else. The prospect of what they gain in the future is better than the memory or value of the past.

I don't see under the current agreement, how either Matt nor Amy can be happy long term and live as single independent adults . It was easy to say in the divorce proceedings "split everything 50-50 (w/o selling anything) and keep living where you been all of this time", but one day/month/year, someone is bound to want something else.

If Matt walks - would that make Amy happy ? 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

This whole episode made me mad. And also wish I was into drinking games, as I could take a shot everytime I heard the word "farm," "snowbird," or oh, did I mention "farm"?  

Jeremy was so punch-worthy, sitting at the desk next to his MOTHER saying, rather bossily and rudely, "We just need to know your plans."  Uh, no dude, you don't.  You aren't entitled to anything of your parents', you have no business telling them how to run their lives and you sure as hell shouldn't expect to be the sole heir apparent to the money THEY earned selling their souls to cable TV.  Just shut up and maybe work in the real world and then come back and let ol' Dad know if you, the Golden Boy, know about farming/accounting/management/construction to run that place.

I am also really irritated that the expectation (from several comments by her family and others here) that Amy *should* be planning to buy a place with Chris.  This is the 21st century and people do live independently and survive after divorce without having to latch, barnacle-like,  onto another human being.  She's dating the guy.  Why should the twins and Matt be railroading her into shacking up with her current sexual partner?  Maybe she wants to date and be left alone at the end of the day.  And the house, based on the divorce agreement presumably signed by her and Matt, is HERS.  Matt's double-talk about "we talked about you giving up the house, blah blah" is immaterial.  Legally, she got the house.  She's not living there for spite or because she can't move on. It's her home, she damn well can stay there if that's what she desires.  I'm not a big Amy fan (personally, I don't think she's very smart and she is the "I use catchy sayings and act all philosophical and deep but underneath I'm kind of a Negative Nellie" type), but her sons and ex need to back off.

The baby stories are way too boring.  Zach and Tori- boring. I really don't have a lot of interest in listening to them talk about how their baby is the most amazing living thing on Earth.  "oooh, look how he knows how to open his mouth for the spoon!"  "Wow, we need to bring a lot of stuff with us when we travel with a baby."  Fascinating.  Audrey looks seriously pissed off all the time.  Like she can barely stand to lower herself to be on camera.  And honey, lots and lots of us (I'm talking millions!!!) have been New Moms.  You are not reinventing the wheel here.  It's hard, you're tired, and your boobs hurt.  Welcome to reality.

Interesting that the Instagram picture posted above mentions Molly and doesn't even identify Jacob.  

• Love 12
6 hours ago, sATL said:

Molly and Jacob came home for a short visit....hmmm.. how sweet... while it may be true a friend is going to NYC... wonder if another family "summit" took place over the future of Roloff Farms

Jacob and his fiance Izzy live with Amy. Molly was visiting.

7 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I guess Jer didn't see the importance of a kitchen if Auj hasn't cooked in 8 months.....so did she not even use it while it was a working kitchen?? So eating out every meal wasn't something she wasn't accustomed too like she implied. 

They lived with her parents during both remodels. The first one a few months and the second one until the kitchen was finished.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I think Audrey likes the farm and likes the idea of owning the farm... but Jeremy's family not so much. Auj has never given the impression that she does more than tolerate Jeremy's relatives. 

Seems like she just barely tolerates Jer, too.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:
4 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

In the divorce decree that is available online, it outlines that Matt got a number of cars and accounts while Amy got a car and the right to stay in the house. Matt also remained in charge of all of the entities. They may be 50/50 partners, but there are still functions that the President/CEO are charged with doing and depending on how the bylaws are written, are able to do, even without the partners' approval. Realistically, all a partner can do when the President does something without approval is to take them to court. Those are pretty big gives to Matt so I can see Amy wanting the house in exchange for. Of the two, she seems far more sentimental. She clearly seems to have memories tied to the property and in the house where Matt seems to be pretty callous with things when he gets bored or wants something new. Look at how he treated the old house, the old pirate ship, and all of the junk in the barns that he seems to accumulate and then move on to.

As far as the utilities go, I would suspect that each is liable for their own share of the utilities used and maintenance seems to be a shared expense. Matt was telling Amy that he was going to cut down trees by her home because he decided they were dead as they had lost their leaves. She did point out it was October and he ignored her. If it was just her expense, he wouldn't care if it was alive or dead.

Matt brought up building him a house last season as well and Amy stated that she was not paying for it. If I remember correctly, at the time, she voiced concerns about the budget for a Matt project. She has said repeatedly that if he wants to build a home on the property, when and if they ever sell, he will recoup his expenses for the build and then the profit for the sale of the property will be split. He would then be out nothing. It is also unlikely that, given the customizations that would be needed for Matt, the home would generate profit for the farm. This sounds like it is an old discussion that was probably hashed out prior to the divorce and now Matt wants to change the rules. He's used to turning the tables around and getting everyone to cow-tow to him. Amy resisting him is just a minor obstacle in his eyes.

• Love 6
(edited)

I have never understood why no one thinks seriously about this. Unless they have plans to do more farming or build an amusement park, they have enough space to build homes for the whole family. Instead they choose to live on top of one another and have awkward run-ins.

There are laws in the area that prevent the land from being split up or subdivided because too many farms were being turned into housing developments. It's otherwise an ideal solution but its really not doable.

And I in no way want to side with Matt because he is a douche, but I can't get over the fact that Amy didn't and doesn't really do anything to help with the farm, yet wants to claim ownership over everything on that land. And yes, I get that it was created in their marriage and she's entitled to benefit from it and whatever, but still. If Matt died tomorrow, she wouldn't be able to keep that business going, at least not on her own.

But... Matt generally made every attempt Amy made to help him with the farm into a miserable "Amy is stupid and useless" bitchfest from Matt. If Amy wanted to do something and Matt didn't want it to happen because he controls the farm, he would be an asshole about it. She wanted a garden, he didn't want a garden so he INTENTIONALLY PARKED an old kid's playset in the middle of her garden. After a while, when learning how to run the farm is made into Matt laughing in the haybale about how stupid and useless and unable to do anything right you are, I kinda see why no one wants to actually work with Matt. Yup, if Matt died tomorrow, NO ONE would know how to keep that business going and thats exactly how Matt has designed things. Therefore, I don't feel a lot of sympathy for Matt.

Matt customized that house for the BOTH of them, yet she got to keep it in the divorce. That's fine. Now that he wants to build a home for himself that meets his physical needs, she's doesn't even seem sympathetic.

They're divorced. Matt left her. Why does Amy have to cry tears of sympathy because Matt's lovely man cave that he quite intentionally insisted be put on the farm for the purpose of providing him a home to live in (Because let's be fucking clear, no one claiming to be a good business person buys a 60k manufactured home so that ONE bride has a place to change in for ONE wedding when there was a completely workable option that involved Matt giving up office access for one day - he spent 60k to avoid not having his office for one day, if that what Matt insists is true then he is ONE SHITTY BUSINESSMAN) isn't perfectly accomadating his physical disability that is hardly new?

Amy is obviously uncomfortable with Caryn being on the farm and attending family events with Matt. Shouldn't Matt be sympathetic and crying tears of pity for Amy? Because he seems DELIGHTED to see them together and uncomfortable and even contrives situations to put them together.

And the house, based on the divorce agreement presumably signed by her and Matt, is HERS.  Matt's double-talk about "we talked about you giving up the house, blah blah" is immaterial.  Legally, she got the house.  She's not living there for spite or because she can't move on. It's her home, she damn well can stay there if that's what she desires.  I'm not a big Amy fan (personally, I don't think she's very smart and she is the "I use catchy sayings and act all philosophical and deep but underneath I'm kind of a Negative Nellie" type), but her sons and ex need to back off.

This. I totally agree on the not terribly smart and trying too hard to be popular and being negative but....

It's her house. Matt agreed and thats why he gets so pissed when she points out that he has no right to house per the divorce. If Amy wants to live there forever, and can afford it, then Matt and Jeremy and Zach need to accept that Amy doesn't have to make a decision or tell them her plans or in any way accommodate their desires.  

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 17
(edited)

Every one acts like it’s a given that Amy has to leave because they are divorced and she  somehow doesn’t deserve the house. First, a marriage is a partnership.  Both contributed regardless of monetary earnings. So Amy deserves that house no less than Matt. Second- she got the house in the divorce. I know some younger people think women’s equality should mean Amy walks away from it all- but years ago, the woman getting the house was normal. I knew several women that were granted the house up to and until they chose to abandon it- my aunt included. She ( my aunt) had never worked until shortly before the divorce.  This was done routinely as a protection for stay at home wives so that they wouldn’t be out in the cold. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Clarification
  • Love 9

I just don't understand why anyone would consider it an option - that Amy would voluntarily give up the home she lives in to a member of the family without any compensation. And lets be blunt - NO ONE is offering to buy Amy out. Matt is willing to buy two other houses but he's not willing to buy out his wife for the house he wants to force her out of. He was all "never you mind, we got the same amount in the settlement so if I bought a house in Portland, thats none of your business" last night. But Amy actually raised a fair point - if he wants the house, why isn't he considering a buy out?

Jeremy is a *man* now. He owns a house that costs 465k. Why is Jeremy demanding his mommy give him HER house and you know... live on the street with nothing. Why isn't Jeremy doing what a man does, and offering to BUY his mom's house? I swear the big boy might as well suck his thumb and piss his pants and demand Amy wipe his ass while he's at it because only a fucking child acts so fucking selfish.

And you know what? If they don't want to talk about money or real things and all the decisions have really already been made, thats fine but now they need to own how they look like fucking cheap pricks trying to force their mom out into the street cause they're babies who want!

Matt? You can bitch and moan all you want, you can roll your eyes and publically pout until all your fans cry with you, but you are the one who didn't fight for the house. Now you can't. The divorce can't be relitigated. Now, if Matt wants that house, he needs to offer to buy it and I admit to being sick of hearing how UNFAIR Amy is being because she's apparently committing a crime by actually wanting to keep what she was legally awarded. 

• Love 17

Well the 'boy's got a taste of trying to talk to Amy about anything!  They now see what their dad is and has been going through!

Amy will entrench herself in the big house and farm as long as Matt is there to manage it and be around every day.  She loves playing with him and making him as miserable as possible.  Gawd she's a nasty person!I

Somebody upthread asked if anybody thinks caryn and Matt had an affair.  I don't think so.  Honestly I don't think Matt's capable.  I think he likes her but Matt is very fragile back, neck and legs.  So no!

Did anybody happen to notice Audrey doesn't seem as gaga over Jeremy?  She seemed a bit cool!

• Love 4
(edited)

Amy will entrench herself in the big house and farm as long as Matt is there to manage it and be around every day.  She loves playing with him and making him as miserable as possible.  Gawd she's a nasty person!I

That goes both ways. Matt's choosing to be in a miserable fight because he'd rather win than be happy. Gawd he's a nasty person!!

I'm sorry but really, Matt can walk away at any time and instead where is he? Sitting in misery, stewing and plotting, when he could be happy elsewhere. Even Caryn made the point about it but again, Matt wants to win this war rather than be happy elsewhere.

Sorry, no sympathy for poor little Matt who chooses to pout and plot.

Well the 'boy's got a taste of trying to talk to Amy about anything!  They now see what their dad is and has been going through!

Since the boys want their momma on the street while they take her home away from her with no offer of financial compensation, I really don't see why Amy is wrong to not accept that deal with a smile and a "Thanks, I'll go die now." She gave birth to them and raised them, and they want to pitch her to the curb with nothing. You'll forgive me if I don't applaud.

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 17
26 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Matt? You can bitch and moan all you want, you can roll your eyes and publically pout until all your fans cry with you, but you are the one who didn't fight for the house. Now you can't. The divorce can't be relitigated. Now, if Matt wants that house, he needs to offer to buy it and I admit to being sick of hearing how UNFAIR Amy is being because she's apparently committing a crime by actually wanting to keep what she was legally awarded. 

giphy.gif

• Love 12
21 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Since the boys want their momma on the street while they take her home away from her with no offer of financial compensation, I really don't see why Amy is wrong to not accept that deal with a smile and a "Thanks, I'll go die now." She gave birth to them and raised them, and they want to pitch her to the curb with nothing. You'll forgive me if I don't applaud.

Yes! This is what a whole lot of people seem to be missing. You may not like Amy; you may think she's a shrew. I'll give you that; she wasn't always the most pleasant -- but I sure as hell wouldn't have been, either, if I'd had to deal for years with a narcissistic man-child who refused to lift a finger to help with the kids and constantly started expensive projects he had neither the time nor the inclination to finish.

That said, she poured herself into those kids and has always been a committed, loving mother. They're treating her abominably, and they deserve to be called out for it.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Somebody upthread asked if anybody thinks caryn and Matt had an affair.  I don't think so.  Honestly I don't think Matt's capable.  I think he likes her but Matt is very fragile back, neck and legs.  So no!

Did anybody happen to notice Audrey doesn't seem as gaga over Jeremy?  She seemed a bit cool!

Honey. Matt is having an active sexual relationship with Caryn now. Right now. He is more than capable 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Amy will entrench herself in the big house and farm as long as Matt is there to manage it and be around every day.  She loves playing with him and making him as miserable as possible

Either in this thread or the Jer and Aud thread- the divorce agreement is summarized. She got the house. Matt got to manage the farm, most likely his title is President and CEO. Exactly why is it unreasonable now when it wasn’t then?  

• Love 10
(edited)
On 6/14/2018 at 1:03 AM, mythoughtis said:

Every one acts like it’s a given that Amy has to leave because they are divorced and she  somehow doesn’t deserve the house.

To those who think that she doesn't deserve the house:

"Deserve" is a moot point.

She was awarded the house by the court.

Matt signed off on it.

House belongs to Amy.

Edited by artisto
12 hours ago, sATL said:

Matt and Amy were miserable before Caryn ? hmmm.. I didn;t start watching the show until they were talking divorce,.

So if Matt would start dating someone else - Amy would still be upset. This is starting to sound like a another show I watch.. Ex-wife is upset for decades after the event - and passed that hurt (ie views towards men) along to her daughters. I guess its good that 3 of the 4 kids are married and appear happy. 

wouldn't that be in a restraining order ? which means one would need grounds to get a judge to sign one - not sure if adultery is grounds.

Yeah, the parties can agree on any terms for their separation and property settlement. It could be that Amy was sore and just never wanted Caryn to live on the farm.  I can understand that, if she truly believes there was adultery, but, she and Matt were very miserable for a very long time, based on what we saw on the show. I used to wonder how in the world they justified staying together with all that drama in front of the kids.  AND I am shocked that the kids turned out so well.  

If you get the chance, you can watch some of the earlier seasons to see first hand how Amy was never happy with Matt. She admits that she married him too fast and it was not what she signed up for.  If they didn't have a tv show, I'm not sure they would have stayed together as long as they did.  I think they each have some good qualities, but, they are not compatible in the least bit. 

(edited)
7 hours ago, Rap541 said:

That goes both ways. Matt's choosing to be in a miserable fight because he'd rather win than be happy. Gawd he's a nasty person!!

I'm sorry but really, Matt can walk away at any time and instead where is he? Sitting in misery, stewing and plotting, when he could be happy elsewhere. Even Caryn made the point about it but again, Matt wants to win this war rather than be happy elsewhere.

Sorry, no sympathy for poor little Matt who chooses to pout and plot.

When was it said that anyone wanted to take Amy's home away from her without financial compensation? I watched the meeting again and that was never suggested. Since Matt is starting to think about his future with less time on the farm, they said that they wanted to meet to have a similar discussion with Amy about her future plans. In the meeting, Matt asked if Amy was having any thought of moving off the farm. I don't think that's an unreasonable question. The house is quite big, it's not out of the question to think that as Amy gets older she may start to think it's too much for her, and she wants to move into something smaller that requires less maintenance. 

Matt said in the meeting that he needs to know if Amy is thinking of moving off the farm or wanting to divest so he can prepare to buy her out. Amy said that she is not into a buyout by Matt, and if she decides she wants to sell her share she wants the farm sold outright. She repeated the same thing to her friend later. Her statements make me understand why Jeremy and Zach would be nervous about her plans. Can they really stake their future on taking over the farm knowing that, at any point, Amy may decide that she wants to sell the farm so it is no longer in the family? Amy's attitude seems kind of selfish and spiteful to me. If she no longer wants her interest in the farm, it should leave the family. Really? (I do wonder legally how this would play out. It would seem to me that if Amy wanted to sell out she couldn't demand that the farm be sold, and that Matt would have an opportunity to buy her share.)

Also, Amy said in her TH that no one has said they want her to move out of the big house but she feels that is an underlying feeling among Matt and the boys. I think she's right from the perspective that Matt would love to have gotten to live in the big house after the divorce, and Jeremy and Audrey would love to move into the big house. But those feelings are not the same as thinking or saying that Amy should move out without compensation. Jeremy even said in the meeting that the farm belongs to the parents, and it is up to them what happens with it, not up to Jeremy and Zach.

Edited by absolutelyido
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, MegD said:

In the divorce decree that is available online, it outlines that Matt got a number of cars and accounts while Amy got a car and the right to stay in the house. Matt also remained in charge of all of the entities. They may be 50/50 partners, but there are still functions that the President/CEO are charged with doing and depending on how the bylaws are written, are able to do, even without the partners' approval. Realistically, all a partner can do when the President does something without approval is to take them to court. Those are pretty big gives to Matt so I can see Amy wanting the house in exchange for. Of the two, she seems far more sentimental. She clearly seems to have memories tied to the property and in the house where Matt seems to be pretty callous with things when he gets bored or wants something new. Look at how he treated the old house, the old pirate ship, and all of the junk in the barns that he seems to accumulate and then move on to.

As far as the utilities go, I would suspect that each is liable for their own share of the utilities used and maintenance seems to be a shared expense. Matt was telling Amy that he was going to cut down trees by her home because he decided they were dead as they had lost their leaves. She did point out it was October and he ignored her. If it was just her expense, he wouldn't care if it was alive or dead.

Matt brought up building him a house last season as well and Amy stated that she was not paying for it. If I remember correctly, at the time, she voiced concerns about the budget for a Matt project. She has said repeatedly that if he wants to build a home on the property, when and if they ever sell, he will recoup his expenses for the build and then the profit for the sale of the property will be split. He would then be out nothing. It is also unlikely that, given the customizations that would be needed for Matt, the home would generate profit for the farm. This sounds like it is an old discussion that was probably hashed out prior to the divorce and now Matt wants to change the rules. He's used to turning the tables around and getting everyone to cow-tow to him. Amy resisting him is just a minor obstacle in his eyes.

Is the document available called a Memorandum of Separation and Property Settlement? 

41 minutes ago, artisto said:

To those who think that she doesn't deserve the house:

"Deserve" is a moot point.

She was awarded the house by the court.

Matt signed off on it.

House belong to Amy.

Does the house actually belong to just Amy, or is it that she was awarded the right to live in it? 

In my divorce, I remained in the house. I paid the mortgage and bills associated with it. My ex was still on the mortgage. In our agreement, if I sold it, which I did, I received any profit, my ex just had to sign the sales agreement.

Of course the Roloff situation is much different than mine.

10 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Does the house actually belong to just Amy, or is it that she was awarded the right to live in it? 

I quickly perused this article

Looks like a private email was sent to both parties...could be the house situation

Didn't see house mentioned  in either Matt's or Amy's property settlement

But...again...I quickly perused

https://radaronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/roloff-divorce-judgement-agreement-signed.pdf

When was it said that anyone wanted to take Amy's home away from her without financial compensation? I watched the meeting again and that was never suggested.

Is anyone who is expressing worry and concern about how what Amy will do is affecting their plans offering to compensate Amy for her share of the property? No. 

Is anyone who is expressing a desire to live on the farm expressing any concern about what Amy will do or how Amy will support herself? No.

Her statements make me understand why Jeremy and Zach would be nervous about her plans. Can they really stake their future on taking over the farm knowing that, at any point, Amy may decide that she wants to sell the farm so it is no longer in the family?

They're grown men. Amy owns the house. She's fifty five. No one should be basing their entire future on being handed a business from someone who is not currently terminally ill. Zach and Jeremy should keep the farm in the back of their mind but both Zach and Jeremy own homes that are a reasonable commute to the farm so neither *needs* a home to live in, and neither is theoretically driving two hours every day to work on the farm.

In fact, neither boy even wants to work daily on the farm. Neither boy is willing to commit any time right now even thought they are apparently desperate and anxious to settle on *Amy's plans*. Jeremy has even expressed that he needs at least two years before he'll deign to begin taking over the farm, so what's the rush?

And I again point out not once has anyone who desperately wants Amy to leave the farm offered Amy any financial compensation for her departure. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Honestly I don't think Matt's capable.  I think he likes her but Matt is very fragile back, neck and legs.  So no!

Where there's a will, there's a way. I could say so much more.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Or a crock pot.  You can make soup in a crock pot.  I make lovely roasts in the crock pot.  You only need an electrical outlet for that.

PressCookbook.jpg.76b4ef6ebb36f89d81da199cf98dfa5c.jpg

Funky-Rat, this is the display ad that appeared directly under your comment.  Even the advertising gods want to kick some sense into Audrey.

• Love 4