Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, kicksave said:

Spot on! Caryn is going after Matt’s money...absoloutely! The sucking up and flattery is so obvious on her part! You’d think she was sitting across the table from Bradley Cooper or Brad Pitt. 

...and Matt just glows.  People like Caryn know how to play a guy like Matt...just bide one's time and flatter-flatter-flatter.  It's possible she started out by admiring her boss, but now it's some sort of power play and she refuses to lose...to Amy.  I don't even need to mention the $$$, land, and "celebrity."  It's fun to watch her work him; she's getting a bit more aggressive.  

• Love 9
(edited)

I think I am just not seeing why Matt and the boys need to know what Amy's plans are.

Help me out.

Jeremy has a nice home that is a ten minute drive to the farm. 

Zach has a nice home that is a ten minute drive to the farm.

Matt can whine as he likes, but Matt has a nice home ON the farm. Matt also has proven factually that he has the financial capacity to own multiple homes while living in the manufactured home on the farm. So if the doublewide being so incredibly unsuitable for his physical condition was really true... Matt has the financial wherewithal to buy a house that would be a reasonable commute to work on the farm.

There is an actual office and meeting facility ON the farm so its not as though people working on the farm need a house to do their business in - there is an office with plenty of room in the office barn for meetings etc.

What problem is caused by Amy continuing to live in the big house to where Matt and the boys need to know so DESPERATELY whether she may or may not move?

And honestly, they got an answer - Amy has no current plans to move. They just don't like her plans. She's not holding anything up - if the boys want to work on the farm, they can certainly do what thousands of people do and drive from their house to their workplace. 

What part of "we will be working on the farm to learn the business" involves any need to be involved in Amy's living situation?

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 10
16 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

OR, maybe, Matt just did that out of the goodness of his heart.

I don't watch the show often enough to know if this is a joke or not.  I suspect it is...and a good one.

2 hours ago, absolutelyido said:

Also, Amy said in her TH that no one has said they want her to move out of the big house but she feels that is an underlying feeling among Matt and the boys. I think she's right from the perspective that Matt would love to have gotten to live in the big house after the divorce,

...and the cars, and the farm equipment, and Caryn, and the attractions, and the animals, and ........

• Love 7
(edited)

I can only surmise that part of the whole mystery of the farm's future is for the tv show. The farm's future has always been a theme for the show, so, it continues.  But, there is some practical aspect to it.  Since, Amy owns half, she could demand a sale of the farm at any time, barring some restriction in their property settlement.  So, if the twins and their spouses, saturate themselves with running the farm, quit other jobs or commitments, move closer to the farm or build on it, and focus all their energy on making the farm their livelihood, and then Amy decides that she wants it sold, they could suffer financially.  OR, if Amy is not interested in staying on the farm and she wants to move and sell her share, it would be good to know in advance, so one could work on financing, selling their existing house, etc.  So, I get how knowing her plans makes sense.  I'm not so sure that  Jer was forcing her out. Zach chimed in and agreed that they needed to know her plans.  So, I don't think it was personal.  Jer just doesn't have seem to be very diplomatic about it. And, I sense that the show is pretty happy to have some drama, in addition to Amy's resentment scenes. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

My thought was maybe Matt wouldn't build another home on the property if Amy thought she would move/sell. He would move in the big house and not have wasted his money on another customized home. The only thing I got out of the conversation was Amy was staying unless it was sold outright but she has no intentions on a buy out from Matt. Thats the part to me that sounded like it was out of spite but I do get her wanting to keep her home, she just made it sound like she would sell just not to Matt. She should have said "I have no intentions of selling ever, I plan to be here as long as I live" if thats how she truely feels. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

I think I am just not seeing why Matt and the boys need to know what Amy's plans are.

Help me out.

Jeremy has a nice home that is a ten minute drive to the farm. 

Zach has a nice home that is a ten minute drive to the farm.

Exactly.  All the talk about needing to "move into the DW for a month" is weird.  First of all, just call it Dad's house, ffs.  And why do you need to "move in" as if you're going on a mission trip to a faraway land? Just make an effort to show up on the farm everyday for eight hours and work (it's what most people do!) and you might then "learn how to work the farm."  It's as if a light has suddenly dawned after 28 years of total indulgence- "hmm.  We may have to do something that's hard in order to inherit this beautiful piece of income-producing property.  Holy shit!!"

• Love 9

Since, Amy owns half, she could demand a sale of the farm at any time, barring some restriction in their property settlement. 

Yeah, because Matt owns half and has no say in the sale and unlike Amy, can't demand a sale of the property at any time without Amy's approval.

It doesn't work that way in a 50/50 property. Amy can't just toss her head and say "I want to sell so fuck you all!" - a sale of the property would have to be agreed to by both Matt and Amy. 

So, if the twins and their spouses, saturate themselves with running the farm, quit other jobs or commitments, move closer to the farm or build on it, and focus all their energy on making the farm their livelihood, and then Amy decides that she wants it sold, they could suffer financially.

Yup. Life happens and sometimes things don't work out as planned. If the twins want a financial situation that they are in complete control of, they should build one on their own. If they want to rely on inheriting a business from their parents, then they will have to assume the risk factor that they may not actually get the business. Not sure why Zach and Jeremy Roloff are owed a stable business and financial position from their parents. They're adults now. If Amy isn't interested in being nailed down into a decision, they will need to decide whether they want to continue to tie themselves to a property they may not get. 

They are not owed a thing. That includes the reality that they are not owed a firm moving decision by their mother. If she wants to dither on the point until she dies, they are still not owed anything. 

Exactly.  All the talk about needing to "move into the DW for a month" is weird.  First of all, just call it Dad's house, ffs.  And why do you need to "move in" as if you're going on a mission trip to a faraway land? Just make an effort to show up on the farm everyday for eight hours and work (it's what most people do!) and you might then "learn how to work the farm."  It's as if a light has suddenly dawned after 28 years of total indulgence- "hmm.  We may have to do something that's hard in order to inherit this beautiful piece of income-producing property.  Holy shit!!"

Seriously, this is an excuse that Matt is coddling them over, that they have to LIVE on the farm in order to work on the farm. Matt needs to be a man and say "If you want to learn how to run the farm, here is the work schedule. You're both men, and I am tired of dealing with little boys. If you don't come to work, you don't get paid, if the work isn't done well, you will have consequences."

This "omg we need to live on the farm to learn" nonsense is silly - they lived there until ages 22 and 24 and they don't know a fucking thing. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

Where there's a will, there's a way. I could say so much more.

Yup.  They even sell special medical devices that help people with back issues, amputees, paraplegics, etc, get some lovin'.

53 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

PressCookbook.jpg.76b4ef6ebb36f89d81da199cf98dfa5c.jpg

Funky-Rat, this is the display ad that appeared directly under your comment.  Even the advertising gods want to kick some sense into Audrey.

LOL!

• Love 1

I agree about the futility of the twins moving into the DW for a while to learn......bogus.  To me, that sounded like something to say to buy time or get their dad off their backs.  Matt would like that, since, it puts the grandbabies closer to him. lol  

But, on the issue of a forced sale, unless their settlement dictates otherwise, in most states, joint owners of real property can petition (called a Petition for Partition of land) for a forced sale of jointly owned land.  The court can order that it be divided equally by acre or if not possible, sold and profits split.  I would hope that Matt and Amy included instructions for how to avoid that in their settlement, but, you never know. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Sunnybebe - what you're describing is something Matt could equally do to Amy, so it's not a "Well, Amy could make Matt suffer" move - both of them would have access to that legal recourse, Matt could force the sale of the property and Matt is at last check the one who is publically buying other property and moaning how its time for him to move on. 

My point in case it's not clear is that if Amy could do this, so could Matt, so it shouldn't be presented at though ONLY Amy can force the sale of the farm. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 5

Even if Amy was agreeable to moving at some point in the future, she has already said she didn't want to discuss Matt building a house on the property without a lawyer, so why do they keep cornering her thinking she's going to agree to anything about the future of the property without discussing it with a lawyer? She's not going to say anything that can be used against her later. Jerk needs to just come to terms that his kids can still have an amazing childhood on that farm when they visit their grandma in the big house.

• Love 5

If Amy was sooo miserable in the marriage and hates seeing Matt every single day and has Chris who won't commit why wouldn't she be running for the hills?

Amy loves playing the role of 'offended partner'!  She loves sitting at those family meetings offering nothing constructive.

Just scrowling at her family!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Former Nun said:

...and Matt just glows.  People like Caryn know how to play a guy like Matt...just bide one's time and flatter-flatter-flatter.  It's possible she started out by admiring her boss, but now it's some sort of power play and she refuses to lose...to Amy.  I don't even need to mention the $$$, land, and "celebrity."  It's fun to watch her work him; she's getting a bit more aggressive.  

So true! She's working him real good...I am convinced that they started their "relationship" well before Matt and Amy were separated. There was one episode a few years back where they were all sitting around a bonfire and Caryn was there for some reason and the body language between her and Matt was highly suspect. I remember thinking to myself that it looked like they had something going on. And I totally agree that she is getting more aggressive...as much as people on this forum accuse Amy of hating Caryn I would have to say it's mutual! Caryn sounded a little bitter and angry when she was talking about Amy in this week's episode.  

• Love 8
On 6/13/2018 at 8:07 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

The big question for me, is HOW DOES THE BOYS RUNNING the farm make any business sense? Now, the farm business pays for its overhead and provides Amy and Matt income. If they retire, how does the operation of the farm still provide them income, sufficient to live on, PLUS support Jer and Zach's families?  Are Jer and Zach planning to PURCHASE the farm from Matt and Amy and keep it in the family that way? A straight hand out doesn't make much sense at all. 

I was curious about this as well.  I mean we all know they're living off TLC wages so currently it's a mute point, BUT if that money every runs out then I don't see how that farm will support 4 families. Or even two (if amy and matt retire)

On 6/13/2018 at 8:25 AM, Whyyouneedaname said:

I'm not around many breast feeding moms.....actually I'm not around any, however, is it the new norm to completely cover your head while doing so???? I mean I'm all for modesty and covering the baby up if that makes you more comfortable but Auj just makes me feel smothered when she feeds Ember. 

I have a feeling she did that to make sure Ember got settled and latched on. At her own home she probably doesn't use a cover up.

On 6/13/2018 at 9:36 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

My interpretation of what Amy's position was as she said, I will live in the house, UNLESS the entire farm is sold, was that she would stay there, just to ensure that no one else in the family got it. The money wouldn't be worth it to her.  She would be compensated, so, it's not like she'd leave without a buy out.  To me, that takes her wishes out of it.  She's not denying that she might want to move, might want to move in with Chris somewhere, get her own place that's smaller, etc. It's just a blanket statement, that to me indicates, an attitude of, if I can't have it, nobody (in the family) can have it.

Not specifically.  I don't think Amy wants to own the entire farm on her own.  She probably has no wishes to buy out Matt and she doesn't want to move if she doesn't have to. BUT if Matt wants to leave then it's likely she'll be forced to leave as well.  That's how I took her "either we sell or I stay" statement.  There's probably some percentage that she doesn't want Matt to have the entire thing either because then she might feel like she's getting kicked off her home and would feel weird coming back to visit if she wanted. 

On 6/13/2018 at 11:10 AM, stitcher73 said:

Also 100% agree that Molly must be the executor of their wills.  First, because no way in heck would I trust Jerkery to do the right thing and secondly,  I just don't think any of the sons have the brain power to deal with what an executor must do.

I'd be really surprised if they even have an executor.  They don't seem the type to like to plan that far in the future. 

23 hours ago, Onceafan said:

When he said that, he is already pitting himself against Zach. I think Jeremy and Audrey were surprised because Zack has stated in the past that he and Tori don't want to live on the farm. Then when Zack made the comment that Tori was open to the double wide for a month, Jeremy's eyes really showed his thought process. Now that Zack and Tori are showing some interest, I found it amusing the comment of we will see he wants it more, or who has more passion to run it.

As soon as Zach and Tori were discussing moving to the farm I thought "uh-oh.... that will put a kink in Jeremy's plans!!!"  No way would Jeremy and Audry live in the DW though.  They're too fancy for that.

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know if there was anything inappropriate going on between Matt and Caryn, before Matt and Amy separated or divorced, but, Amy sure does act angry over them.  I can only surmise that whether it did or did not happen, Amy believes it did.

I think anyone in Amy's position would have a hard time thinking it DIDN'T happen.  They came together what seemed rather quickly to the general public and it's hard to believe that feelings hadn't been growing for awhile.  You just don't suddenly want to date your boss because he's now single (well in certain circumstances maybe but definitely not Matt Roloff)

1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

My thought was maybe Matt wouldn't build another home on the property if Amy thought she would move/sell. He would move in the big house and not have wasted his money on another customized home. 

That's exactly what he said.  He said he wanted to know Amy's plan because if she wanted to move then he would buy her out and move into the big house and there would be no need for a 3rd house on the property. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

Seriously, this is an excuse that Matt is coddling them over, that they have to LIVE on the farm in order to work on the farm. Matt needs to be a man and say "If you want to learn how to run the farm, here is the work schedule. You're both men, and I am tired of dealing with little boys. If you don't come to work, you don't get paid, if the work isn't done well, you will have consequences."

This "omg we need to live on the farm to learn" nonsense is silly - they lived there until ages 22 and 24 and they don't know a fucking thing. 

YES! These brats are so entitled and lazy! Neither of them has any training in managing a business let alone a million dollar farm and the side businesses from it! All they that they have done is to help with the pumpkin business in terms of giving tours and using the walkie talkie. Matt was never interested in their futures...college was not important to him because he didn't go to college. He never insisted that they get summer jobs when they were teenagers. Both he and Amy were more interested in the teens being popular and running wild on the farm...remember when Zach used the Toyota minivan to do donuts on the property? It made a huge mess on the property and for the minivan. Matt seemed to feel it was just boys being boys. He never put his foot down or disciplined those kids. So why would he think they would have self discipline to manage the farm? As I recall, Jeremy struggled with basic math at his for profit photography school...Zach never finished a two year community college. Jeremy, in particular, seems to be very emotional and almost confrontational about the farm remaining in the family...despite the fact that he and Zach are woefully incapable of being able to manage it. 

• Love 6

I was talking to my sister who is a lawyer, and she watches the show as well. The big factor in a lot of this is Caryn.

Of course Matt would jump at the chance to buy Amy out of the farm, and have her move off.  If Matt and Caryn are seriously "planning" their future, you have to think of them as possibly being married in the future. With Amy off the farm, with no finanical or legal ties to it, Matt and Caryn can live on the farm, as well as the children building their own homes on the land. In Matt's death, he could then legally leave Caryn the house on the Farm, and other assets, therefore freezing Amy out of them.

Caryn also has adult children, as well. You have to keep in mind, that due to his health issues, it is more likely for Matt to pass before Caryn. If Matt does marry Caryn, he may or may not change his will, but I would assume he would change it. With no will, Caryn his legal spouse would receive half of all of his assets, while Matt's biological children with Amy would receive the other half.

I think this is why Amy is so dead set against taking a buy out from Matt, and would prefer to sell the farm, so Matt and Caryn and both their children are living on the farm, while Amy is on her own. No way, is Amy going to let Caryn live on the farm, and possibly have a stake in the farm after Matt's death.

So like Caryn told Matt, I don't think Amy is going to leave unless you do, Caryn knows that since Amy won't take a buy out, the best way for Caryn to get access to Matt's assets, is for Matt and her to buy residences off the farm. If they buy a house in Phoenix, then Caryn can get 100 percent ownership of it with Matt's death, unlike if he built a home on the farm.

She would be wise to push him to live, in that rental home that he is fixing up off the farm, as well as have him purchase the home in Phoenix. She needs to get Matt's money and assets off the farm, and away from Amy's 50 percent reach, to places where Caryn and her children could get 100 percent of the assets off the farm.

• Love 8

If Matt was so miserable in his marriage and hates seeing Amy every day and has Caryn who does seem interested in commitment AND has publicly expressed his wish to move away (unlike Amy) then why isn’t HE running for the hills?

Seems to me that Matt loves living in misery and scowling and bitching to anyone who will listen how miserable he is and he loves that misery so much, he willingly keeps himself in a house he hates, near a woman he loathes, all for his love of spiting her. 

Gottabe honest, Matt buys and sells very nice NOT double wide homes.... if he’s miserable in that living situation, he can and should run for the hills. He isn’t so he deserves the same amount of sympathy Amy deserves.

• Love 6

I would hope that their attorneys put a right of first refusal on the option to buy out the other's interest.  That would seem fair to me, but, who knows. They would have had to agree on it. Maybe, one or both of them didn't like that idea. 

When I think about the boy's antics from seasons past, I'm mainly reminded of Matt's attempt so enforce some semblance of discipline and responsibility, but, couldn't due to Amy fighting him on every turn.  I recall when one of the boys and their friends burned furniture in their new house addition.  It was quite outrageous, but, Amy shut Matt down on demanding accountability, defending them all the way.   To me, it was obvious that she was defending them, just to oppose Matt having any say about their conduct.  Over all those years, Matt would speak to them and Amy would stop him and tell the kids to ignore their father.  I can't recall her every supporting the kids answering for their conduct. Lucky for them, Molly was a jewel.  So, considering that upbringing....they are very fortunate. 

• Love 7

Technically, as President and CEO, Matt can force the sale of the farm. As a partner, Amy's recourse is to sue him for control of the corporation, not cooperate with realtors (although Matt can easily get around that, I'm sure. He does have cameras all over the farm so he can schedule things when she's not there), and refuse to sell final sale documents, if she is a named party. If the company owns the property, then only Matt may only have to sign the paperwork. That's enormous leverage for Matt. So I'm willing to bet that Amy was given the home in exchange for that power.

It should also be note that Matt received 5 IRA/retirement accounts to Amy's 2 along with the 3 cars to her 1. That is not to say that all accounts had the exact same amount in each of them, however, in my experience, I've seen accounts, especially when they are earned during the marriage where there is some disparity between the earning power (Amy worked a few smaller jobs to Matt's job on the road) and there are several accounts, liquidated and reconsolidated into two accounts which are as equitable as possible. When one party wants to retain their retirement/IRA accounts and not divide them in these cases, they have to give up something equally as important to the other party, whether it be cash or an asset. I am sure that the two accounts Amy has (which match 2 that Matt has, name wise) come from TLC money/the show. The other 3 may be from the employment prior to the show and possibly the lawsuit he filed when he was terminated. I am relatively sure that as a preschool teacher, Amy didn't have the opportunity to earn retirement so they would have planned to live on Matt's retirement prior to the show. This may be another reason why Amy ended up with the marital home, Matt wanted to keep "his" retirement so he had to give up something big.

17 minutes ago, gunderda said:
17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know if there was anything inappropriate going on between Matt and Caryn, before Matt and Amy separated or divorced, but, Amy sure does act angry over them.  I can only surmise that whether it did or did not happen, Amy believes it did.

I think anyone in Amy's position would have a hard time thinking it DIDN'T happen.  They came together what seemed rather quickly to the general public and it's hard to believe that feelings hadn't been growing for awhile.  You just don't suddenly want to date your boss because he's now single (well in certain circumstances maybe but definitely not Matt Roloff)

It should be remembered that in Caryn's divorce decree, which I think Radar Online has found and posted (and it's been posted in this forum, possibly under a different topic), stipulates that the one child, who was a minor at the time, was not allowed to be at Roloff Farms and neither was allowed to be filmed for television. Her ex was not allowed to talk negatively about her or her employment. This was in 2013. https://radaronline.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/matt-roloff-girlfriend-caryn-chandler-nasty-divorce3.pdf So I can completely believe that Matt was probably getting a little something on the side from Caryn prior to the separation and divorce. Certainly her ex thought that something was going on. And it didn't have to be full intercourse, necessarily. She could have been doing a whole host of other things to keep him satisfied.

I can see where Amy is is pissed about the whole situation. She's routinely having Matt rub her nose in the fact that their marriage failed and that he's got this woman who Amy's wondered about for years hanging all over him and getting all the love and affection that she never got from him. On top of that, Prince Jerk & Auj are openly on team Matt and treat her like crap. Zach and Tori are a little better but they still aren't picking her over Matt. I think it probably really hurt to have Zach turn on her in that meeting. I suspect that Matt is well aware of what is stipulated in the corporate documents regarding the house and property and probably gave in to keep the other things he wanted that I mentioned above. He probably just figured he would bully Amy into giving him the changes he wanted for the house later away. Unfortunately for him, she must have been told by her attorney what to expect and how to address his demands. She is not being unreasonable. If he wants her off the property, he needs to buy out her interests in the property. He's got enough money to buy multiple homes in several states. If he truly wanted her gone, he wouldn't have bought those, he would have bought her out. I think he likes the drama and the misery and the way he gets to make her miserable by not buying her out.

• Love 6
(edited)
2 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I agree.  This is beyond weird and almost comical.  Shouldn't these young men, who are almost 30, have learned something about running the farm already (even if they weren't all that interested)  as they were growing up...even thru simple dinner conversations and/or osmosis?  Also, they live in the area so why move their families and lives to the DW?  Just get in your car every morning and drive to the farm.  They all cannot be this stupid.  Only thing I can think of is...the tv show.  IF Jer and/or Zach live on the premises, the "show" will be all the more interesting for the viewers.  Their wives and children will be roaming around and there will be camera moments galore.  Sometimes the answers are right in front of our faces!  Yup.

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Onceafan said:

I was talking to my sister who is a lawyer, and she watches the show as well. The big factor in a lot of this is Caryn.

Of course Matt would jump at the chance to buy Amy out of the farm, and have her move off.  If Matt and Caryn are seriously "planning" their future, you have to think of them as possibly being married in the future. With Amy off the farm, with no finanical or legal ties to it, Matt and Caryn can live on the farm, as well as the children building their own homes on the land. In Matt's death, he could then legally leave Caryn the house on the Farm, and other assets, therefore freezing Amy out of them.

Caryn also has adult children, as well. You have to keep in mind, that due to his health issues, it is more likely for Matt to pass before Caryn. If Matt does marry Caryn, he may or may not change his will, but I would assume he would change it. With no will, Caryn his legal spouse would receive half of all of his assets, while Matt's biological children with Amy would receive the other half.

I think this is why Amy is so dead set against taking a buy out from Matt, and would prefer to sell the farm, so Matt and Caryn and both their children are living on the farm, while Amy is on her own. No way, is Amy going to let Caryn live on the farm, and possibly have a stake in the farm after Matt's death.

So like Caryn told Matt, I don't think Amy is going to leave unless you do, Caryn knows that since Amy won't take a buy out, the best way for Caryn to get access to Matt's assets, is for Matt and her to buy residences off the farm. If they buy a house in Phoenix, then Caryn can get 100 percent ownership of it with Matt's death, unlike if he built a home on the farm.

She would be wise to push him to live, in that rental home that he is fixing up off the farm, as well as have him purchase the home in Phoenix. She needs to get Matt's money and assets off the farm, and away from Amy's 50 percent reach, to places where Caryn and her children could get 100 percent of the assets off the farm.

Yep - 100%.  I had cousins who divorced.  The split was 100% amicable.  She got the house (because she retained primary custody of the kids), and He got other assets, and both eventually remarried.  When their two kids were both in college, She and her new husband sold the house and moved out of state.  Again, no issues with anyone involved - very amicable.  He eventually bought a house with his new wife, and made sure that there was enough room for her kids, and his, so his kids would have a place to go when they came home from school for holidays, etc (since their mom moved out of state).  He suddenly became ill and passed away.  That very day, as my cousin was getting back "home" to be there for her kids and his family, as they had remained close,  Wife 2 told her two step kids (the ones my cousins had together) that the house was willed to HER, and they could stay there "temporarily", but needed to get out as soon as they were able, because she didn't want them there "permanently".  As soon as their mother got wind, she told them to pack their stuff - all of it - rented a storage locker, and set about finding them an apartment they could use as a "crash pad" when they weren't in college, so they'd have a place to go.  My late cousin spoke so highly of 2nd wife - I only met her once, and she seemed perfectly fine, but when my other cousin (I'm not getting in to who the blood relative was - we loved them both as if they were blood relatives) told me that several years later, I was floored.  The older of their 2 kids was devastated, and when they were done with school, moved closer to their mother and doesn't have anything to do with former step-mom.  The younger of the 2 is civil, but not much more.  I have nothing to do with her.  I didn't much know her prior, so it's no big loss.  With regard to Caryn, though, I thought it was in her divorce decree that her children were not allowed on the farm (which really cements the "affair" issue in my mind.  I suppose that once they're all adults, that changes.

I believe I've mentioned it before, but the company I work for has had dealings with Roloff Farms in the past - about 10-ish years ago.  Please don't ask me where I work or what we sold them - I won't answer (even privately).  My company has a strict view of not badmouthing customers (and while I'm not going to badmouth them per se, speaking about it in detail would be frowned upon).  I initially dealt with their production crew (for the show - our items were on an episode - and this is nothing new - we're on TV fairly frequently on both "reality" shows and episodic TV), and things were fine.  We generally offer a reduced rate if we're either given a mention (think like home decorating shows, where they mention that the furniture came from "Our friends at Joe Bob's Furniture!"), or if we're given a credit at the end (before credits were reduced to lightning fast and squished in the corner), or if we can display a larger than normal logo (like Judge Ito's computer on the OJ trial, with the honking huge logo).  They agreed to a credit, and a larger logo - we weren't mentioned, but that's fine - it was not a problem at all.  Eventually, Matt got in to the e-mail chain.  I was excited to be dealing with him as well.  I've always been very much Team Amy (as is Mr. Funky - he says I remind him of her in many ways), but it would be a few more years before I developed a bit of a distaste for Matt and some of his antics.  He told us when to watch TV, I told him I was a big fan of the show and would definitely be watching, and that was that.  When the day comes, there is our products, but they're not being used correctly, which can be a safety issue.  We discussed how to broach the topic.  We didn't want people to see our item being used incorrectly, and think that it was OK.  I finally composed an e-mail to the production company, asking if they had received all of the items we sent (one item would have remedied it - think like the strap-down kit that comes with IKEA furniture, but half the people don't use it to anchor things to the wall).  They replied back that they had received it, but it wasn't thought to be an issue to not use it.  Not wanting to argue, we mentioned offhand that all of the items should be used for safety purposes, but played up how we enjoyed seeing products on TV, etc.  I then offered to send a few more items they could use, and offered to send it free of charge (again, we do this fairly often, to encourage people to do things correctly), as I was a fan of the show, and this was the time that Matt and Amy were pushing for people to adopt LP's, and my husband and I were looking in to adoption at that time, so that topic came up as well (we never did adopt - long story).  I received a reply stating they talked to Matt, and that was a nice offer, but no, and if "Amy and I change our minds", they'd let us know.  I ended the conversation nicely, and that was that, but the convo was just weird, and always bothered me.  I was being genuine, and also was concerned about people getting hurt (but didn't want to come right out and say "Hey - you're doing it wrong!").  I can't explain the whole thing - I guess you had to be there -but we never appeared on the show again that I can recall, and I always felt weird about the whole thing.

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, tinderbox said:

Shouldn't these young men, who are almost 30, have learned something about running the farm already (even if they weren't all that interested)  as they were growing up...even thru simple dinner conversations and/or osmosis? 

This cements my belief that there are a lot of workers/hands on the farm.  There's probably a general manager and Matt does little but dream up work for others, drive around, and give worthless orders.  Oh...find time for a bit of hanky panky with the staff.  The kids probably saw the hard work enough to know they REALLY don't want to be involved when the TV crew packs up and moves far away.

Edited by Former Nun
unmerged...
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

And, I sense that the show is pretty happy to have some drama, in addition to Amy's resentment scenes. 

I wonder if Amy would be willing to go on another "reality" TV show...a sort of cross-promotion.   She could go on "Botched," and get freshened up.  Her RBF* seems to be available 24/7.  Maybe she would be more appreciated on/off camera if she appeared happier.  Let's do a little makeover while we're at it.  She transitioned from an overworked wife and mother to an unwilling divorcee as the result of a cheating husband and disloyal employee.  Perk her up!   Make-up, hair, wardrobe.

*RBF ~ Resting Bitch Face    Resenting Bitch Face

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Every adult on this show seems to be planning for a permanent future with Chris and Amy.   Everyone except Chris...and maybe Amy.   

That's pretty funny.  And probably true. At first, I read it to say that Every adult on this show seems to be planning for a permanent future with Matt and Amy, except for Chris!  lol 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I wonder if Amy would be willing to go on another "reality" TV show...a sort of cross-promotion.   She could go on "Botched," and get freshened up.  Her RBF* seems to be available 24/7.  Maybe she would be more appreciated on/off camera if she appeared happier.  Let's do a little makeover while we're at it.  She transitioned from an overworked wife and mother to an unwilling divorcee as the result of a cheating husband and disloyal employee.  Perk her up!   Make-up, hair, wardrobe.

I think Amy has great potential.  From the occasions, I saw her do motivational speaking, I was impressed.  I'm not sure why she doesn't do more now, but, it is tiring, I'm sure. 

I'm not sure if she wants to kick a new reality show in gear, but, I think she would do well with a housewives type show.  Hint to Bravo:  Real Housewives of Portland.  I gave that as a free suggestion.  lol And for that show, you just need to let your witch flag fly.  The more temperamental, the better. So, Amy would be perfect, imo.  AND, I would consider inviting not only a few of Amy's friends, but, CARYN to join in the cast.  I think it would do well.  Amy's tagline could be: I might be the ex-wife of this Roloff, but, I'm the queen B of this Pumpkin Farm. And Caryn tag line:   Hi, I'm Caryn, vice-president of the Matt Roloff fan club, I mean, Pumpkin Farm.  They could just have fun with it.  Those gigs pay pretty well. I think Bravo pays better than TLC, but, I'm not sure. 

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

Every adult on this show seems to be planning for a permanent future for Chris and Amy.   Everyone except Chris...and maybe Amy.   

exactly. Which is why it annoys me that everyone just throws it out there: "so, we're wondering if/when you're going to buy a place with Chris."  Is it that hard to believe that they may either continue to have a relationship and live separately, or that they might just date for a few years and then move on?

28 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

butttt.... she got a midlife/divorce tattoo!

• Love 2

I think Chris is very obviously proceeding with caution. I have no doubt that if Chris were to ask Amy to marry him, she'd do it in a heartbeat. I think if she acts any differently, it's because she doesn't want to scare Chris away. 

• Love 4

I wish I could locate the clips from old shows that capture a side of Jeremy that might not be evident lately.  It occurred over the years, often when the family went on vacation.  Often the activities involved doing things that Matt was not able to easily do, due to his disability.  While most of the family went about their fun, Jeremy was the one who always seemed to hang back and assist his dad, normally, by lifting him from the place to place on the boat, up the mountain, down the canyon, over the rails, or across a rocky path.  He seemed happy to do it and played down that it might have dampened his good times, even though, he was still a child. He would usually say, "No problem, Pops."   I thought it was touching and I'm sure it made an impact with Matt, as it should have. It also made an impact with me and I haven't forgotten his compassion and empathy.  

• Love 7
4 hours ago, MegD said:

Technically, as President and CEO, Matt can force the sale of the farm. As a partner, Amy's recourse is to sue him for control of the corporation, not cooperate with realtors (although Matt can easily get around that, I'm sure.

Corporations don't have partners.  Amy is presumably an equal shareholder of the incorporated company.

• Love 3

Forgive me if it was said before, I just finished this episode so late to the party. I thought it was obnoxious when Matt dissed Amy as not being a 'planner', unlike Caryn. She's got a plan, he just doesn't like her plan!

The "Always More" clothes showcased in the episode were obnoxious as well.

Amy seems lost.  I don't believe she wants Matt, but I think she does want what Matt has with Caryn. I don't even necessarily believe she wants it with Chris. He was the first guy to pay attention to her after the divorce when she felt no one would want her (& she did say that). So I think she's still too needy & at risk of making another bad marriage decision. But that would only be if Chris proposed & I think she knows that's not happening anytime soon, if ever.

What was with the beach 'trip'?  They arrived, checked out the sunset, had dinner, went to sleep, woke up- & left. It seemed like a waste of time & just an annoyance, probably set up for the show just to have the couples do something together with the babies. It was very dull; the kids were adorable on the couch together, though.

22 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I thought it was touching and I'm sure it made an impact with Matt, as it should have. It also made an impact with me and I haven't forgotten his compassion and empathy.  

I do recall that & remember being impressed by that part of him. I also think he's a very involved father & Auj has no reason to whine since he does seem to help quite a bit (given he's home all the time that certainly helps).

So Auj wants to get to making that soup. Amusing when he said he'd have the kitchen completed & she said she'd "believe it when" she "sees it".  Marriage to Jer is wearing on her - "Always More" unfinished projects. She may end up as Amy 2.0 someday.

Jer was so whiny complaining about the divorce because he has to check with everyone for holiday plans. I think many people have to check with others reg. holiday plans - they have in laws as well for crap's sake. I think Ember's parents cry more than she does.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I used to wonder how in the world they justified staying together with all that drama in front of the kids.  AND I am shocked that the kids turned out so well.  

I'd say Molly turned out well.  The boys, not so much.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure if she wants to kick a new reality show in gear, but, I think she would do well with a housewives type show.

My thought would be more of a one-off as far as cosmetic surgery.   Maybe a 2-3-episode arc for the makeover.

I wonder if the direction is Matt builds a little people adapted home on the property & drags out that drama for more seasons. But actually Zach & Tori end up living there while Jer & Auj are in Amy's house - maybe they all contribute from sales of their own homes & show earnings. Imagine everyone is in on it; the arguments are just for the show.

Little Caesar's got a plug in this episode.  The pizza didn't look that great to me.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I don't even necessarily believe she wants it with Chris. He was the first guy to pay attention to her after the divorce when she felt no one would want her (& she did say that).

Yeah, her lack of self-esteem makes me sad. I absolutely get it; we're all insecure about something, and growing up as a little person in pre-diversity-conscious days would have been hard. Amy and I are the same age, and there were no kids in my school who looked different from anyone else. As ashamed as I am to say it, I'm sure I would have looked at Amy strangely, or would have been afraid to approach her. 

I remember two sad stories from old LPBW episodes: First, Amy was afraid "someone" would come and take her babies away because they'd perceive her as being unable to care for them. Second, when she was in college and arrived at a hotel in a different state for a hospitality internship, management took one look at her and told her there was no internship. 

And I'd venture a guess that Matt didn't make her feel especially good about herself during their marriage. And then he began spending a lot of time locked in his office, to which he pointedly said Amy had no key. And then he built the DW. And then he insisted on a divorce. And then, voila! He was suddenly involved with someone Amy had no doubt trusted as an employee, and maybe even as somewhat of a friend.

And that takes us to the current day, and at least one of Amy's sons has turned out to be a colossal ass with an unpleasant wife who has a narrow and selfish world view, and they clearly don't show Amy much love.

I'm meh on Chris. I don't dislike him, and I'm not a huge fan. Clearly, we don't know anything about their relationship IRL; maybe he's smitten and we just don't see it. At any rate, I sincerely hope he doesn't hurt her. There are things that bother me about Amy, but not nearly to the degree I'm bothered about Matt. And I'd like to see this next chapter be a little kinder to her.

11 hours ago, Rap541 said:

What problem is caused by Amy continuing to live in the big house to where Matt and the boys need to know so DESPERATELY whether she may or may not move?

And honestly, they got an answer - Amy has no current plans to move. They just don't like her plans. She's not holding anything up - if the boys want to work on the farm, they can certainly do what thousands of people do and drive from their house to their workplace. 

What part of "we will be working on the farm to learn the business" involves any need to be involved in Amy's living situation?

YES! It's HER FREAKING HOUSE. Plan that she's going to continue to live in HER house, stop pressuring her, and get on with your lives, Jeremy and Zach. 

Edited by Literata
Spacing
  • Love 12

I see Caryn as very on to Amy and her way of never negotiating anything.  She knows she, unlike Amy s family,  will not put up with it.

Amy doesn't love the farm.  If she loved it she'd never move regardless if Matt stayed or left!  She'd hire a farm manager.  No biggie.

The "I'll leave when you leave" is ridiculous and manipulative.

They say "misery loves company" so maybe that's why they both stay!  That and those big TLC checks.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Amy doesn't love the farm.  If she loved it she'd never move regardless if Matt stayed or left!  She'd hire a farm manager.  No biggie.

She clearly loves the farm because of what it represents to her. But it has to be difficult when people you love -- people you've raised -- are joining forces to pressure you and don't seem to value your presence. 

It's a moot point, though. Matt gave up the house so he could hurry and extricate himself from the marriage. He may be feeling remorse about the agreement he made, but no matter. It's Amy's house, and she doesn't have to decide anything tomorrow, the next day, or the day after that.

• Love 8

I see Caryn as very on to Amy and her way of never negotiating anything.  She knows she, unlike Amy s family,  will not put up with it.

It's not really Caryn's place as Matt's current fuck to really have any opinion of Matt's ex wife and the ex wife's decisions regarding things, is it? 

I mean, I don't see no ring on that bitch's finger, and I don't see Matt saying he plans to commit to Caryn in marriage. I'm actually not all that hard on Caryn, btw - I don't really care if she was cheating with Matt and I certainly don't care if she wants to date Matt but she's just that - the woman who dates Matt, who is single and making no plans to change that. 

Caryn is just an *employee* in the grand scheme of who ranks who in negotiating terms on the farm. She's not Matt's new wife, she's not even his fiancé, she's the woman he lays. To Amy? She's an employee . Caryn has no place to say she's not putting up with Amy's guff - Caryn is NOTHING in this situation. Caryn can tell Matt her opinions but quite frankly, it's becoming pretty clear that Caryn is not in control.

I don't particularly like or dislike Chris but he has as much place at the table as Caryn and seems to know that it doesn't matter whther he will put up with Matt or not - it's not his place to be involved, Caryn needs to keep her nose out of things until she's Mrs. Matt Roloff - and I kinda think that won't happen. 

The "I'll leave when you leave" is ridiculous and manipulative.

So is the constant "I want to renegotiate the terms of the divorce on camera because I am so miserable and uncomfortable and its so unfair and all my fans agree with me that you're being unfair to actually keep the house from me even though I willingly signed off on it" refrain that we've heard from Matt in almost every episode this season and last. Makes me long for the "OMG I MIGHT BE CRIPPLED SO DO WHAT I WANT" lies that he liked to toss around and admitted openly were manipulations on his part. 

It's a moot point, though. Matt gave up the house so he could hurry and extricate himself from the marriage. He may be feeling remorse about the agreement he made, but no matter. It's Amy's house, and she doesn't have to decide anything tomorrow, the next day, or the day after that.

It is a moot point. No one on the "AMY YOU NEED TO GET OUT NOW! MAKE THE DECISION NOW!" team has any reasonable argument to make. Jeremy and Zach need to know because they... might want to take over the farm management? They do not need to live directly on the farm to manage the farm. Case in point - Caryn doesn't fucking live there. 

Matt needs her to decide because... no reason at all, really. He has the money to purchase multiple homes, so his argument of how uncomfortable he is becomes moot - he can get a house locally IF its really necessary. He doesn't need to live there to work there.  If he really wants a custom house built on the property, he has permission, he just isn't going to receive financial assistance from his ex wife. He wants to retire? He can. He's not responsible for Amy any more. Why does anything hinge on Amy deciding to move or not?

• Love 9
13 hours ago, zenme said:

I think Chris is very obviously proceeding with caution. I have no doubt that if Chris were to ask Amy to marry him, she'd do it in a heartbeat. I think if she acts any differently, it's because she doesn't want to scare Chris away. 

Agree. It would be very hard to think about a future with someone, whose Ex is always in the picture - to the point they can make a decision w/o consulting them. Chris may want a garage/shed for his bikes, he may want to have his fellow riders over during pumpkin season, he might want to do something to the outside or re-design a room in the house. 

I'm coming from a place of a girlfriend who was dating a seemly wonderful guy - but he was just too closley tied to the ex. For example trying to make plans for the weekend and he would do/say things like - "I promised to stop by the Ex house first and fix/look at something" - kinda like a never ending ex-hunny-do-list. Once the chore was done, she said had a great time, though.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 12:04 AM, sATL said:

And she's the 1st person seasoned in the work force/life/loves to travel/being on the go/etc  I heard that wants a house with a big yard/acres. But that can be arranged. All kinds of houses are out there. Her farmhouse is LP friendly, so that is probably another reason she doesn't want to let go.

I'm 54 and life in a huge old farmhouse with acreage, my 84 year old Mother lives here with me since I care for her, but when she passes, I don't plan on moving.  I need space to walk and garden, play with my dogs and I have my pond that I skate on in the Winter, and swim in all Summer.  I also love being away from people, I'm sure Amy likes that space too.  Why would we move to another place with space when we're already in one that we're happy with?

Edited by Honey
Added thought
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, Honey said:

I'm 54 and life in a huge old farmhouse with acreage, my 84 year old Mother lives here with me since I care for her, but when she passes, I don't plan on moving.  I need space to walk and garden, play with my dogs and I have my pond that I skate on in the Winter, and swim in all Summer.  I also love being away from people, I'm sure Amy likes that space too.  Why would we move to another place with space when we're already in one that we're happy with?

That sounds like heaven, and I think Chris appreciated the farm on his walk with Amy. It seemed like he'd like Amy to keep it and learn to live peaceably alongside Matt.  I'm wondering if Amy's comments about Matt are what keeps him from going further with Amy. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Honey said:

You love your home and your posting shows your there to stay!

Amy on the other hand is only staying if Matt, her ex husband stays.  That's manipulative and mean spirited.

But..that's Amy.

2 hours ago, zenme said:

That sounds like heaven, and I think Chris appreciated the farm on his walk with Amy. It seemed like he'd like Amy to keep it and learn to live peaceably alongside Matt.  I'm wondering if Amy's comments about Matt are what keeps him from going further with Amy. 

Oh for sure. Chris, a confirmed bachelor, sees the writing on the wall.  Would anybody in their right mind want to deal with an amy?  He sees the show and how she talks and argues.

I don't think I've ever seen her leave a room without slamming a door!

Run Chris or your next!!!

• Love 4

Amy on the other hand is only staying if Matt, her ex husband stays.

To be honest, thats not entirely what Amy said. 

In the scene where she was walking with Chris, she pretty stated she did not want to leave the farm because she considered it her home. 

"I don't really want to leave the farm. I mean, I raised my kids here. This was a wonderful place to be able to do that. There's a lot of memories here, related around kids and family. I would love for that to continue, to the grandkids and having my kids come over, so we'll see what happens but I look forward to spending more time and moments with them here on the farm."

This was a calm, not angry comment. If Chris should watch the show to catch Amy's opinions and thoughts, then maybe Matt and the boys - if they are genuinely unclear about Amy's position to where they feel they can't make decisions - should watch this scene where Amy says she doesn't want to leave the farm. She said it pretty clearly and articulated why.

In the scene you're referencing, Matt was attempting to get Amy to verbally commit, on camera, to changing the divorce agreement from a 50/50 split to something that benefited him far more.  When she refused, he rolled his eyes at her, and then had a confessional where he noted publically how awful it was that Amy wouldn't tell him her plans - and also articulated that he didn't want to invest in the property with a new house if there was any chance that he would die and Amy would get ownership of his nice improvement. Matt will only build a new house on the property if he gets full ownership.

Amy in a confessional also clearly states she likes living in the big house and she plans on staying. She actually said she would like to stay there until she dies but the only concern was Matt pushing her. This was like the final scene of the episode. 

In the first office scene, when Amy said "we keep it or we sell it" iit was in response to Matt's question of "What are your plans, we're trying to figure out to keep it or not keep it". This is also after a confessional where *Matt* says he wants to keep the farm but that he also wants to sell the farm, liquidate it, because he considers it a burden. Matt then asks Amy what her long term plans are - and she refused to answer because she was on the spot. Matt then puts it in terms of how if she has any desire to leave, he would need to organize a way to buy her out and would then move into the big house, that he would not need to build his planned custom home if Amy was thinking of moving because he could have the big house in a buy out.

Amy says she's not into a buy out.

Matt rolls his eyes at her (not making this up) and demands "why are you not into a buyout?" - This is a very confrontational scene.

Amy says "Is mom staying in the house hampering everyone?"

So, "I'm only staying if Matt stays" isn't really what was said and by watching the episode, its really very clear that Amy has no interest in moving anywhere, while Matt is the one who really has no issue with selling the family home. 

IN this scene Amy clearly says "I'm not planning on moving unless we are selling the farm completely". She's made her plans completely clear so the endless dithering of "how can we plan if we don't know Amy's plans" is just that, three grown men having the vapors. 

• Love 22

Honestly that big farm and house is too big for either of them.  It was a big house when six of them lived there.  Both of them need to move on.  The farm is a product of the TLC family.  Without it there is no show so maybe both of them are ....  stuck.

There are no winners there.  Just arguing and causing the family pain and grief watching it go down.

I'm sure they will stay there until the show ends.  But for now...The show must go on!

• Love 5

The show is clearly a factor, and that it's unstated makes it hilarious. 

I mean, let me explain. No one is going to trail around Jeremy and Auj with a camera if Jeremy isn't working at Roloff Farms. No one is going to follow Matt as he hangs out in retirement communities in Surprise AZ. No one is going to follow Amy if she lives in a condo in Portland. 

There's also the unstated problem that if this is about passing things down, the only way it can be achieved fairly for all FOUR children is to sell the farm OR for the children wanting to run the farm has the ability to buy the property from the parents. 

• Love 14
22 hours ago, MegD said:

Technically, as President and CEO, Matt can force the sale of the farm. As a partner, Amy's recourse is to sue him for control of the corporation, not cooperate with realtors (although Matt can easily get around that, I'm sure. He does have cameras all over the farm so he can schedule things when she's not there), and refuse to sell final sale documents, if she is a named party. If the company owns the property, then only Matt may only have to sign the paperwork. That's enormous leverage for Matt. So I'm willing to bet that Amy was given the home in exchange for that power.

But does his title matter if they have 50/50 ownership?  Because I thought that's what they had so neither one could push over the other. 

21 hours ago, Former Nun said:

This cements my belief that there are a lot of workers/hands on the farm.  

I thought we've always seen instances where there's a pretty god amount of employees on that farm.  Which makes me believe it does provide some other income than pumpkin season. Otherwise there's no reason to have employees - or at least an office manager.  I can see where Matt would need a couple helpful hands to do field work but in this day and age you can hire that out to coops. 

I'm sure splitting that farm land is a tricky situation. But in a normal situation it should be possible.  But if the houses are considered owned by the farm that that probably adds a complicated level.