Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, Redrum said:

He said on the most recent episode that he had. 

On 7/14/2022 at 11:00 AM, Redrum said:

Well... Matt tends to exaggerate about things

I doubt he’s hired and fired 12, he probably consulted several which is fairly common

when we renovated our house we consulted 5 different architects, looked at their preliminary plans and listened to their suggestions and then chose 1 of the 5 for the actual plans and renovations, consultations were free.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Someone in the episode said "and paid them."  Whether that was fact or assumption, I can't say.  It sounds like Matt doesn't know what he wants for the house.  

When my parents built a house, they were so definite in what they wanted that I drew the plans - at age 8.  The architect laughed and filled in the things I didn't know about, but used the basic plans I'd done.  

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Someone in the episode said "and paid them."  Whether that was fact or assumption, I can't say.  It sounds like Matt doesn't know what he wants for the house.  

When my parents built a house, they were so definite in what they wanted that I drew the plans - at age 8.  The architect laughed and filled in the things I didn't know about, but used the basic plans I'd done.  

Some charge a minimal fee for consultation, like $75 to $150 the 5 we consulted with didn’t charge a consultation fee (this was several years ago and fees might have increased)

We had a pretty good idea of what we wanted but it was great to see the different ways of accomplishing it…. They all included enlarging our kitchen, adding a solarium sunroom area to the kitchen, expanding the family room and above that area we wanted a rooftop terrace off our master bedroom suite on the 2nd floor… all the preliminary plans accomplished it but 1 was particularly nice and we chose that architect.

Matt probably had a good idea of what he wants but much like us wanted to see different ways of getting there.  🤷‍♀️

• Love 3

I agree, I think Matt may be exaggerating when he says "hired and fired 12"

He's probably had several consultations which is different than "hiring and firing" I think Matt likes to sound like a mogul with big deals going on all around him. 😂

When we built our dream home we consulted several and a most were very similar and gave us everything we wanted and nothing more but 2 of them gave us features we didn't even know we wanted or could fit within the same square footage.

1 in particular gave us a set of backstairs off the kitchen that goes straight up to our 2nd floor hallway which I absolutely love (no need to go up the formal staircase in our entrance foyer), he gave us a hidden laundry chute off the main hall upstairs, added a gorgeous dormer window sitting area and cute little balcony off our guestroom plus several other features that never occurred to us all within our budget.

If we ever build again I'd definitely consult several architects to see what they suggest.  👍

2 hours ago, Dibs said:

Do we know for sure Matt is planning to build "a huge monstrosity of a house"? 

He has said it many times on the show. He wants a big house. He also said he is tired of living in the DW, he has nowhere to put anything because it's too small an is becoming cluttered. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Jacob is not making it. He was living in his van and traveling around with his wife, then they moved back to live with Amy. They have a baby now so I'm curious as to what they are doing. 

Don’t they live on the farm now?  Wondering where though, certainly not the big house.

• Love 1

A reminder from the LPBW forum master mod note:

If someone's posts routinely annoy you. use the ignore feature. Hover over the poster's name. On the popup box, select Ignore user. Easy-peasy!  It will enhance your posting pleasure.

Try it.  You'll like it.  😁

1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Screenshot from a video. In it she says, “I think it will put a button on the whole season.”.

EDFA86E6-4A99-4192-BCDA-E6CFCEE7BF9C.jpeg

Well her breasts seem to be drawing attention away from her face. Improvement??  Lol

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Screenshot from a video. In it she says, “I think it will put a button on the whole season.”.

EDFA86E6-4A99-4192-BCDA-E6CFCEE7BF9C.jpeg

It’s the finale! Oh Brothers! 

Did Zach build the chicken coop or was that already on the property when they bought it?

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 7
31 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

It’s the finale! Oh Brothers! 

Did Zach build the chicken coop or was that already on the property when they bought it?

I think it was already there when they bought the property.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Everybody hates Matt, but they sure like free mowers and free exercise bikes LOL.  I’m surprised Chris didn’t ask Matt if he had a free fish tank for Henry!

I don’t care about Z&T or their friends. I hope they show Amy’s and Chris’ motorcycle trip since they talked about on this episode.  Maybe we’ll get to see Sandy and how the perfume rationing worked out.  

Like how Zach talked about building up Grandma’s house now, didn’t seem like he cared when Jackson Zach was going to OWN the farm.  He really irritates me, but not as much as Tori.

I hope they’re not still talking about the farm crap next season. All the Roloffs need new storylines.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Amy certainly was opinionated about the negotiations between the kids and Matt despite having mentioned that she had no idea about what transpired during the negotiations.  Her exchange with Matt toward the end of the episode (when she came to collect the exercise bike) made me think less of her.  

Matt said that the discount for the farm for the kids was half price.  According to him, when Zack didn’t get the terms he wanted, he walked.  That sounds about right from what I’ve read on the matter.  It’s all speculation, though, which is the problem.  Without the viewer able to ever find out what transpired in actuality, I think it was wrong to wrap the whole season’s storyline around the negotiations.  

I have NO interest in any opinion Chris has about the farm or its’ legacy.  IIRC, Chris never watched an episode before he met Amy.

Amy, If you want an exercise bike, you don’t need to borrow one from Matt.  Go buy one!

Caryn, if you’re at someone’s home for dinner, you don’t laugh at the appetizer.  Amy opened a package and having no idea what the contents tased like, served it anyway (vegetarian meatballs).  She laughed herself.  Poor form all the way around.  As was the uncalled-for remark Caryn made about bowling followed by the crack she made about what Matt’s arms would look like if he were behind her at the pottery wheel.  

Edited by Mary
To add a point that I forgot to make originally
  • Love 7

Zack is just plain nasty.  Did anyone notice those filthy socks Zack was wearing?  Does he walk outdoors in those?  Even worse was his lack of awareness about it.  Gross.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Everybody hates Matt, but they sure like free mowers and free exercise bikes LOL.  I’m surprised Chris didn’t ask Matt if he had a free fish tank for Henry!

I don’t care about Z&T or their friends. I hope they show Amy’s and Chris’ motorcycle trip since they talked about on this episode.  Maybe we’ll get to see Sandy and how the perfume rationing worked out.  

Like how Zach talked about building up Grandma’s house now, didn’t seem like he cared when Jackson Zach was going to OWN the farm.  He really irritates me, but not as much as Tori.

I hope they’re not still talking about the farm crap next season. All the Roloffs need new storylines.

Exactly and wtf why doesn’t Amy buy her own damn exercise bike?? A used bike like the one she borrowed from Matt isn’t worth more than $100 if that! It’s not like it was a Peleton…. Quit being so damn cheap and buy your own shit! 🙄

God she’s such a bitch, I wanna slap some duct tape over her blabber mouth and give her ass a boot!…. And she can say all she wants that it’s just about the kids but it was obvious that she’s pissed that the farm went up in value since Matt bought her out, as others have said she’s a nasty, money grubbing little weasel.

Chris needs to keep his big nose and whiny nasal voice out of Matt’s business and they both need to piss off and quit borrowing from and whining to Matt.

Ugh TLC please, no more BS storylines about the farm!!!  👎🏻

• Applause 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Mary said:

Zack is just plain nasty.  Did anyone notice those filthy socks Zack was wearing?  Does he walk outdoors in those?  Even worse was his lack of awareness about it.  Gross.

I couldn’t believe how filthy his socks were, makes me wonder if his feet are that dirty too.

who goes to visit at someone’s home where you’re gonna take off your shoes and roll in wearing socks that looked like he spent the day stepping in cow manure! Zach is a dirty little person just like Amy with her greasy hair, sweaty face and food stuck in her teeth.  🤮

67A95172-BB9A-46E3-ABDB-CB30D406F525.jpeg

Edited by Joan of Argh
Pic
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
48 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Let's all sing a rousing chorus of that one.  The trip to Alaska has potential.  I do like Chris trying to think of ideas with the grandkids (if he's the one truly doing it) like the fish tank and frogs.  I am SO tired of "the farm" and the relationship of the parental couples.  

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Mary said:

He probably has matching underwear. 😮

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

Finally, some clarity and closure. My summary of the final episode.

Matt said he offered to accept half off (so $2MM) for the north side of the farm.  And Zach expected to get it for less.  Matt countered with less land.

Amy is unhappy because 'a 2 year old appraisal' informed her (remember, she has a realtor boyfriend now husband) 2020 buy out of the north side property for $975K.  And she says kids and ex-wives deserve the family discount/consideration.

Matt wishes he was clearer that he expected the kids to work on the farm if they wanted the farm. He wasn't sure they would run it well anyway and suspected he'd get stuck running it after he sold. Curiously, I, as a viewer, have understood this for years.

Amy is defensive that they raised lazy, entitled kids and says it isn't just her fault (true). 

Amy admits she doesn't know what happened in negotiations with the boys, but says Matt was wrong.

There is an uncomfortable dinner where Amy asks for Matt's exercise bike and serves bad meatballs.

Chris buys fish and frogs in an attempt to connect with Jackson.

ZiT tries to convince us that we want to watch Little People-Battle Ground.

Matt lists the farm and drives off into the sunset.

Edited by Ms.Lulu
  • Like 1
  • Love 13
11 hours ago, Mary said:

Zack is just plain nasty.  Did anyone notice those filthy socks Zack was wearing?  Does he walk outdoo thatrs in those?  Even worse was his lack of awareness about it.  Gross.

I have a feeling that they don't wear shoes in their house. When Chris and Amy came to the house for the first time and they were going outside, Chris said let me get my shoes on. But if Zack's socks are filthy all this says is that their floors are dirty.  Not surprised seeing as how the outside is a mess. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

Finally, some clarity and closure. My summary of the final episode.

Matt said he offered to accept half off (so $2MM) for the north side of the farm.  And Zach expected to get it for less.

Amy is unhappy because 'a 2 year old appraisal' informed her (remember, she has a realtor boyfriend now husband) 2020 buy out of the north side property for $975K.  And she says kids and ex-wives deserve the family discount/consideration.

Matt wishes he was clearer that he expected the kids to work on the farm if they wanted the farm. He wasn't sure they would run it well anyway and suspected he'd get stuck running it after he sold. Curiously, I, as a viewer, have understood this for years.

Amy is defensive that they raised lazy, entitled kids and says it isn't just her fault (true). 

Amy admits she doesn't know what happened in negotiations with the boys, but says Matt was wrong.

There is an uncomfortable dinner where Amy asks for Matt's exercise bike and serves bad meatballs.

Chris buys fish and frogs in an attempt to connect with Jackson.

ZiT tries to convince us that we want to watch Little People-Battle Ground.

Matt lists the farm and drives off into the sunset.

Agree with all of this. Matt came out of this looking better than anyone else.

• Like 2
  • Love 12
(edited)

Matt certainly held his tongue much better than I would have when Amy started on him about how he created this mess.  I would have said to Amy it's not your place to get involved in the sale of the farm that you no longer own. Basically saying that everything wrong with the family and farm and the marriage is Matt's fault. When she bought up that she sold her 1/2 of the north side of the farm based on an old appraisal and she had no idea the value would increase so much that says it all. She is mad that she didn't make more money off of selling the farm to Matt. That's all this is about. That and the fact that she never wanted to move out of the house after the divorce. 

Edited by 65mickey
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ms.Lulu said:

He wasn't sure they would run it well anyway and suspected he'd get stuck running it after he sold.

This is something I really think indicates Matt is a huge part of the problem. And is a reason I suspect he's not getting offers on the farm.

Look, if you're selling the property - to your kids or anyone else - not to put too fine a point on it - once it's sold you're not going on the property, you're not working the property, you don't own the property and you have no obligation to the property. I know its "HIS FARM" but once its sold, the pumpkin business has to take place solely on his remaining 92 acres and he legally can't step foot on the old property without permission. Once its sold he's under no legal obligation to "maintain the property" or "run the business". If he intends to run the pumpkin business without the 16 acres, he can't use any of the features or attractions once the property is sold. Matt's obsession with having to maintain the property and run the business is all in Matt's mind. Once he sells - to Jeremy, or Zach or to a stranger, he's done. 

I felt bad for the kids - all of the kids - that Matt merrily trashed. I think we got a taste of what happened in the "business" negotiations when Matt was going on about soda cans and ruts in the yard created by teens he never corrected.

I also enjoyed his line "There's a lot going on that you don't know about" - because its such a narcissist move. Really Matt? Why not explain what's going on? If Amy would shut up and take your side if she knew the secret that you say she doesn't know.... why not tell her?

I know I don't think Zach, Tory and the kids are interesting enough to take the show but honestly the "we're making pottery because my terrible kids broke my cups that my mom bought me from a thrift shop 42 years ago and now we're creepily reenacting that scene from Ghost" was cringy and embarrassing. 

32 minutes ago, b4pjoe said:

Matt came out of this looking better than anyone else.

Really? I thought he came off bitter and petty and small. And I'm not referring to his size.

Chris is the one who came off well this season. 

And oddly Zach - hear me out. Lets not get bogged down in "he's lazy and can't manage the farm" - I personally agree with both. But... He knew how much house he could afford and didn't let himself get talked into overspending based on sentiment. Whether we like the place in Battle Ground or not - Zach and Tory are pretty happy and not once have gone begging to Matt for a second chance at the farm. 

I remain curious to see if and when the section of farm will sell. 

• Applause 3
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

That and the fact that she never wanted to move out of the house after the divorce. 

She said this for a long time but then there came a time when she was shown mooning around the big empty house and saying it didn’t feel like home anymore and she didn’t like looking at the double wide.  Her versions of things are often inconsistent.

When Matt showed resentment about the kids being lazy and being reckless/destructive on the farm growing up, that had the ring of truth.  But the majority of it was Jeremy and that asshole Mueller.  Zach was more of a tag along, and he often was left behind when the pack outpedaled him on bikes etc.  I don’t believe Molly and Jacob destroyed things either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Redrum said:

now we're creepily reenacting that scene from Ghost" was cringy and embarrassing. 

During that scene Caryn said time goes by so fast but I’m pretty sure in Unchained Melody the lyrics say it goes by so slowly.

• LOL 3
8 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Whether we like the place in Battle Ground or not - Zach and Tory are pretty happy and not once have gone begging to Matt for a second chance at the farm.

Are we watching the same Zach and Tori? They are anything but happy. The bitterness steams off of them.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Chris is the one who came off well this season. 

And oddly Zach - hear me out. Lets not get bogged down in "he's lazy and can't manage the farm" - I personally agree with both. But... He knew how much house he could afford and didn't let himself get talked into overspending based on sentiment. Whether we like the place in Battle Ground or not - Zach and Tory are pretty happy and not once have gone begging to Matt for a second chance at the farm. 

I remain curious to see if and when the section of farm will sell. 

Redrum, I always appreciate your perspective.

For me, Chris was no different than anyone else on the show.  I don't think anyone got a positive edit.  TLC dialed up focus on the dysfunctional cluster this year.

I don't think ZiT are happy.  I get a distinct ' we've been wrong, we are owed' bitterness vibe and that is what keeps/kept them from negotiating with Matt.  Matt offered them the house and half the land (not the woods) for what they paid for the house in Battle Ground.  It is clear they are still upset about it, but not too upset to ask for a mower.

I think Matt is incredibly controlling and feared that Zach would let the farm deteriorate more than it has.  So Matt would feel obligated to continue to work the farm.  And I do believe he really wants to dial back work on the farm.  So he would rather sell to a stranger farmer than discounted to a lazy son.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

I agree that Amy is just angry that 2 years later the farm is worth so much more than she sold it to Matt for, can’t Chris explain this to her?  I sold my house and then 2 years later similar houses in my area were getting much more than I got, that’s how it works.  Amy is just stupid and greedy.  I guess everything is about Jackson because the other grands can’t be mentioned or showed.  It’s very important now for Chris to bond with Jackson. Amy trying to stir up shit with ZiT at the frog naming dinner by whispering and saying things about the farm sale, really didn’t get the big reaction she was hoping for, just sour puss looks and mumbling.   What a loser, instead of trying to mend the relationship she is trying to make it worse.  Every week it seems ZiT get angrier.  Zach apparently is the family’s spokesman saying none of kids care and no one answered Matt’s email and they all want him to lay in the bed he made.   Ok Zach,  you don’t even talk to Jeremy.  Chris saying they invited M&C over for dinner and they are going to try and get the details of the farm sale says a lot them, not nice!

Edited by Endora
  • Applause 2
  • Love 10

I notice that Zach and Tori talk about their childrens relationship with Grandpa, but nothing about Cha Cha. Blood is thicker than water. It's looking to me like Matt will eventually be forgiven. I don't think that Caryn will ever be forgiven. I'm happy that Caryn wasn't successful in stealing Amy's grandchildren. She stole her husband and her farm. I'm glad that she won't get her children and grandchildren too.

• Applause 2
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I don't think ZiT are happy.  I get a distinct ' we've been wrong, we are owed' bitterness vibe and that is what keeps/kept them from negotiating with Matt.  Matt offered them the house and half the land (not the woods) for what they paid for the house in Battle Ground.  It is clear they are still upset about it, but not too upset to ask for a mower.

I think they aren't happy *with Matt* but as a couple living their lives without needing to drop in on the farm every day? They seem pretty happy. I honestly think this family, the overall family - Zach, Jeremy, Amy, Matt etc - would do a lot better with interacting if they were allowed to be mad and be apart and then naturally get over it. The show forces the conflict. I think Zach and Tory did a healthy thing in moving away and stopping the constant farm visits. They needed a break. As sad as it sounds, I bet they're totally fine not seeing Matt constantly. 

• Love 7

Zack, Tori and Amy should never do talking heads.  They come off spiteful, unhappy, spoiled and never seem to move along. 

Go to work Zack. Do something productive.  Tori take care if your babies and shut up!  You both look and sound terrible  

Amy is the biggest sourpuss over the property going up in value. Life happens. I’m sure the home she settled in has gone up in value too!

Everybody in Matt’s family has the gimmes. Nobody has the workees!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 11