Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

(edited)
8 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I went to Toysrus yesterday and bought a gift for my nephews new baby.

Did they close some stores?

Last I heard, all US locations closed in 2018 ( link )  . Again, a business/name on life-support.. 

Edited by sATL
7 hours ago, Rap541 said:

This really bears repeating. Amy owns 50 percent of the farm. She's not Matt's bitch or Matt's wife or Matt's child. She's his *business partner* now. He's a business partner that she doesn't trust because he's on record lying to her about his health and about where he spends money, and frankly about his marital fidelity.

There's really no business reason for Amy to move at all. I have yet to hear any reason for Amy to move that isn't about Matt wanting the house, wanting some place more comfortable live, etc etc. He doesn't like having to get Amy's approval for things, but she's not actively trying to shut the business down. The only one who talks about ending the pumpkin business is Matt. If Matt wants to end the pumpkin business and retire - why does Amy need to move?

Oh right, for all business concerns go, she doesn't need to move. 

Plus no one is moving until this show is canceled for good. Matt just wants control of the farm.

And, he wants to continue to be a martyr and act like he's Amy's victim.  

• Love 13

This new episode was boring and kind of hard to watch.  There is no real fun, they all seem over it and everything seemed forced like they were only there for the paycheck.  Only Zack is being filmed when we want to see all the kids.  Matt and Amy cannot carry the whole show with all their constant bickering, no wonder the kids don't want to be there.  

I would like to see Matt brought down a peg or two.  He is so into himself and nobody else matters.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Kathy said:

This new episode was boring and kind of hard to watch.  There is no real fun, they all seem over it and everything seemed forced like they were only there for the paycheck.  Only Zack is being filmed when we want to see all the kids.  Matt and Amy cannot carry the whole show with all their constant bickering, no wonder the kids don't want to be there.  

I would like to see Matt brought down a peg or two.  He is so into himself and nobody else matters.

agreed. i fell asleep. zach does not seem to be all that smart. it's like tori has another child. would not be surprised if one day she moves on to a more mature man. 

• Love 3

I see most of the posters here are team Amy.  I  am neutral about it.  Not sure why Matt is getting all the blame for the divorce, it takes two in any relationship.  He of course was dead wrong in stepping out on Amy while they were married if that is the case,  but there was plenty on both sides to bring about the divorce.  We only know what we are allowed to see on the show.  All the bickering about the farm is a storyline for the TV show.  Agree that nothing will happen with the farm until the show goes off the air for good.  

• Love 6

One person can definitely destroy a relationship - addicts, narcissists & various other abusers. I don't know all of Matt's issues, except that it seems confirmed he cheated with Caryn. For me, that makes him suspect of cheating at other times as well (but not accusing; I just don't trust a cheater - period - often they've had several infidelities). He's also seemed to have had a drinking problem - others can confirm maybe what they saw of him drunk in earlier episodes; I also think he had at least one DUI which can indicate an issue, so there's that. I also don't know all of Amy's issues, & whether she brought some kind of crap like that of her own into the relationship, or, he's driven her to bitter, angry, resentful behavior due to his own problems, because that can happen too. Try living with one of the above for years - it can destroy a person & make them something they hate even in themselves...

I haven't seen this episode yet, but if the whole season is just them bickering over the farm I really hope they arrive at an agreement & end their show, because that's just tired out now.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, sATL said:

It would be nice to see the farm involve with an owner (s) who could take it to the next level. I think Matt has had his time, I would love to see Any get a shot, but also bringing in manager(s) who can separate the business from the personal- moving the farm into a better business for today's customer.

I love this thought above, and agree.  With Amy’s degree in hotel management and hospitality I think the farm could be turned into a multi-purpose, year round destination that could produce enough income for the family members willing to participate and actually work.  Just because you have never seen Amy riding around on any of that ridiculous heavy equipment on the farm doesn’t mean she doesn’t have her own ideas or the smarts to hire someone to do the physical work while she did the budgeting and planning.  She did have an idea a while back about doing glamping (glamor camping) on the farm that seemed like it could have potential and use her hospitality skills.  There is also the fake wedding business that could be a viable enterprise.  The problem, as I understand it, is that their farm is not zoned to operate anything beyond a family fruit stand at the moment and I don’t know what the barriers would be to doing anything beyond that in the future.  If that doesn’t change, there will never be anything beyond “punkin season” going on on Roloff Farms.

If Amy is as smart as I give her credit for, she would buy Matt out, or convince him to continue as partners and negotiate a deal with the network to have them pay for their re-zoning of their property.  Divide the farm into the pumpkin zone, the glamping (hospitality) zone and the wedding business with three separate cost/revenue centers.  Let Matt keep the pumpkin business control, Amy take the other two and mentor the kids in either.  It would expand the business, reinvigorate the show and secure income for everyone for years to come.  Matt could choose to take the buy out and leave or be solely responsible for his portion of the business, snowbirding in the off season.  He would have to put up or shut up with his own business acumen, because his financial shenanigans would be obvious.

Everyone always says that Matt loves the farm SO much, but he is the one who stays elsewhere on a regular basis.  Amy has never wanted to leave.  She loves her home.  It’s all she has left from that part of her life now that the kids are gone.  Every time Matt tries to get her to leave, she has an anxiety attack and worries that Matt will cheat her.  I don’t blame her for having trust issues with Matt, for all the reason that have been pointed out.  But that doesn’t mean they couldn’t continue to be business partners if they have to.  The one thing I don’t want to see is Amy getting bought out and having to leave the farm.  She has said a million times she doesn’t want to leave and after having your husband cheat on you with the help and ultimately have to see them together after divorce, it would be the final crushing blow to see him take away the one stability you ever had being married to him, only to see his mistress become mistress of the farm.  Does anyone really want to see that?

• Love 13

Matt and Amy are toxic together and I don't think Zack and Tori can save the show.  I'm kind of surprised they are getting another season with just the four of them.  Sorry the five of them..Jackson is adorable. 

• Love 2

@HighlandWarriorGrl,  you have some great ideas regarding the farm--I always wondered why the Roloffs haven't done more with it, but as you say, there may be zoning restrictions.

Amy does not want to leave, or isn't ready to leave, the family home. I can understand that. The problem is, the home and the business are intertwined. Can they separate the home and the business? One doesn't have to be "team Amy or team Matt" to see that trying to force one or the other out against their wishes may be perceived as unfair.

I have commented in the past that I thought I good solution to "the farm problem" would be somehow splitting it up, whereby Amy keeps a portion including the family home, and Matt keeps a portion so that he can build his own home on the other side of the land and do "punkin season."

• Love 3
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Adiba said:

@HighlandWarriorGrl,  you have some great ideas regarding the farm--I always wondered why the Roloffs haven't done more with it, but as you say, there may be zoning restrictions.

Amy does not want to leave, or isn't ready to leave, the family home. I can understand that. The problem is, the home and the business are intertwined. Can they separate the home and the business? One doesn't have to be "team Amy or team Matt" to see that trying to force one or the other out against their wishes may be perceived as unfair.

I have commented in the past that I thought I good solution to "the farm problem" would be somehow splitting it up, whereby Amy keeps a portion including the family home, and Matt keeps a portion so that he can build his own home on the other side of the land and do "punkin season."

I think rezoning is worth the fight... at the very least the ask, beg, plea, petition, etc. keep working the system until a yes comes along. 

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

What in the heck was with that Birthday cake for Jackson? It looked like a crumb coat! I'm sure it must be the trend, you know, less is more, but I hated it. Possibly they chose it because they don't want Jackson eating all that frosting but this was his first Birthday and his smash cake!

It looked like Tori was already pregnant in that scene in the kitchen where I think she was wearing black? She, along with Amy, look like they are putting on weight. And Amy does not have the frame to hide it on!

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, kicksave said:

I was shocked that Tori and Zach purchased a house before selling the one they live in...OMG! And the new house is a fixer upper no less! Didn’t Amy and Matt teach these bozo brain boys anything? It always amazes me how these kids manage to buy houses, cars, etc. when they don’t work. Sorry...writing a blog and teaching little kids soccer isn’t a full time work with benefits. Tori doesn’t work anymore either...the only kid that has a a REAL job is Molly...also, the only one who graduated from college. 

I don't think it's all that unusual to buy before you sell. It's a gamble but usually works out. Houses show better once you move out. I'm sure they have show money to bridge the gap.

Also it's easier to reno before you move in.

Edited by SongbirdHollow
Another thought
  • Love 4
(edited)

Zach said their new home was ‘brilliant.’ What does that mean?

There was a second there when I thought he looked handsome, too. You go, Zach! 

So Jeremy and Audj aren’t on. I’d think they’d be missing out on the money but I guess not? 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, LucyEth said:

Not sure why Matt is getting all the blame for the divorce, it takes two in any relationship.  He of course was dead wrong in stepping out on Amy while they were married if that is the case,  but there was plenty on both sides to bring about the divorce.

In fairness, I really don't see people saying "Matt was entirely to blame". I certainly don't - Amy has some flaws that led to this divorce. She liked playing petty games with Matt and was rarely supportive. She also could be very passive aggressive. 

That doesn't mean Matt also didn't play passive aggressive games. He's pretty openly stated on camera that he lied and twists the truth about how much money he's spending and since the divorce, complains how he is now required to actually talk to Amy honestly about what's happening with the farm business. That's a pretty big sign of how disrespectful he was towards his wife. There's the awkward reality that he was seeing Caryn before the divorce finalized - the cheater is always going to be perceived in a worse light. Call Amy a bitch, a messy housewife, lazy... She didn't spread her legs for another man while she was married to Matt. Cheating is a major vow breaking. 

That doesn't mean Matt was "all to blame" for the divorce but frankly neither was he innocent, and he's rarely called on how lying to the wife about money isn't chucklicious good man fun and him being a great example. Likewise his decision to fuck his employee Caryn.

12 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

If Amy is as smart as I give her credit for, she would buy Matt out, or convince him to continue as partners and negotiate a deal with the network to have them pay for their re-zoning of their property.  

I don't think this is in any way an option due to the laws in the area.

• Love 6
(edited)

Okay I have to ask because I'm not sure if I'm viewing this right or not.

Why was Amy bitching and making comments at the party about Matt buying more gifts for Jackson?

Matt always goes overboard and what business is it of hers how much he wants to spend on Jackson?

The only thing she needs to worry or comment about is their "business" interaction.... Personal stuff really isn't any of her business anymore and vice versa it's none of Matt's business what Amy chooses to spend her money on.... Why does she care wtf he spends money on?

Plus Chris is sitting there.... I know if I was Chris the last thing I want to do is sit at a family gathering while my new girlfriend takes pot shots at her ex husband.

She has Chris now and he supposedly makes her happy so why is she still all wound up about what Matt does.   *shrug*

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling and to clarify
  • Love 7

Zack's house seems to have a  lot of stairs in it? Is that wise when two and possibly more dwarfs will be living there with mobility problems maybe facing them in the future? I would think a one story home might be a better fit. The same with Amy..I would think she would rather move into a smaller one story home, as she never was much into cleaning, and if she keeps on packing on the pounds, how much longer can she climb the stairs?

• Love 6
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Zack's house seems to have a  lot of stairs in it? Is that wise when two and possibly more dwarfs will be living there with mobility problems maybe facing them in the future? I would think a one story home might be a better fit. The same with Amy..I would think she would rather move into a smaller one story home, as she never was much into cleaning, and if she keeps on packing on the pounds, how much longer can she climb the stairs?

I was thinking the same thing about Zacks house and all those stairs.  Baby Jackson and maybe more and Zack carrying them up and down.  I think it's a bi level home with two sets of stairs .  I don't know if one of those up and down chairs would work?  Maybe 8 or 9 steps to each level.

(edited)

speaking of houses - I had the same thought about Chris.  Yes, he is a wonderful man and seems to really care for Amy. An earlier post said he was never married, but I don't know if he has children from a prior relationship. There's been a few shots of them walking "arm&arm in-love" and small gatherings around the farm as Amy reminisces about every nook and cranny of the acreage. So, yes he seems to enjoy the great open - but now he has no responsibilities of its upkeep.

If it turns out that Amy gets gets the house and farm, it does lead to the big question does Chris wants to live there full-time and take on all of that responsibility, at this stage of his game ?  Downsizing not only means the size of the home, but it also means the size of the necessary upkeep like grass cutting, pruning trees, painting trim, etc . Doesn't it snow where they live - which means plowing out (or waiting for someone) to plow out ?

I don't recall they type of housing he lives in now, but I would think it is smaller than an 100 acre farm and the big house Amy is in. He seems like an outgoing guy - loves to motorcycle travel. So is he ready to give that up to tool around a farm making sure all is well/maintained, the 6-8 weekends of pumpkin season, being around for weddings, not to mention the upkeep and size of the main house.  

And to add - if he does buy into the place - would be be a silent partner or come in with ideas - that could be just as grand (or heaven forbid worse) as Matt's visions? You never know how someone can act when their $$ is on the line...

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Why was Amy bitching and making comments at the party about Matt buying more gifts for Jackson?

Because Zach and Tory expressly asked people to not go crazy with gift giving.

8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Matt always goes overboard and what business is it of hers how much he wants to spend on Jackson?

It's her business because her *son* made a request to his mother and father and his father chose to put his own wants over those of the son. Zach is Jackson's father, Zach made a parental decision and Matt took a great big shit on it because *Matt* wanted all the attention on *Matt* and how *Matt gave Jackson a ton of gifts* and made Jackson's birthday all about *Matt needing attention*. 

That's why Matt always goes overboard (except when he's taking off for sun and leaving his kids alone on their birthday while he partied in Hawaii) because no one is allowed to have their day without Matt doing something to put all the attention on to Matt. 

Edited to add - It worked too - it's Jackson's birthday and all eyes are on Grampa Matt and how he loved his grandson so much he just couldn't control himself and bought the toy store!  Look, another present from Matt! More attention for Matt!

2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

The same with Amy..I would think she would rather move into a smaller one story home, as she never was much into cleaning, and if she keeps on packing on the pounds, how much longer can she climb the stairs?

Yet no one ever says "Matt is unable to go up stairs, he needs to forget about regaining control of the big house and needs to admit he is too cripple to have a house with stairs" - don't you think he'd rather move to a smaller house since he's not able to climb stairs without pain? I mean, he actually has complained that the one story double wide is too much at times.

28 minutes ago, sATL said:

If it turns out that Amy gets gets the house and farm, it does lead to the big question does Chris wants to live there full-time and take on all of that responsibility, at this stage of his game ?  Downsizing not only means the size of the home, but it also means the size of the necessary upkeep like grass cutting, pruning trees, painting trim, etc . Doesn't it snow where they live - which means plowing out (or waiting for someone) to plow out ?

I don't think this is a likely solution but I assume Chris would handle cutting the grass, pruning the trees and painting the trim the same way Matt does - by hiring someone to do it. 

Edited by Rap541
  • Love 10
15 hours ago, Calibabydolly said:

What in the heck was with that Birthday cake for Jackson? It looked like a crumb coat! I'm sure it must be the trend, you know, less is more, but I hated it. Possibly they chose it because they don't want Jackson eating all that frosting but this was his first Birthday and his smash cake!

It looked like Tori was already pregnant in that scene in the kitchen where I think she was wearing black? She, along with Amy, look like they are putting on weight. And Amy does not have the frame to hide it on!

It's called a "naked cake" and has been trendy for a couple of years now, especially in the "barn wedding" settings that have become the rage.  It goes with the whole rustic look that Tori favors.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-naked-cake-and-why-is-it-naked-244010

I saw an episode this morning on TLC from 2015 and Amy looks thinner now that she did then.

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, sATL said:

speaking of houses - I had the same thought about Chris.  Yes, he is a wonderful man and seems to really care for Amy. An earlier post said he was never married, but I don't know if he has children from a prior relationship. There's been a few shots of them walking "arm&arm in-love" and small gatherings around the farm as Amy reminisces about every nook and cranny of the acreage. So, yes he seems to enjoy the great open - but now he has no responsibilities of its upkeep.

I don't recall they type of housing he lives in now, but I would think it is smaller than an 100 acre farm and the big house Amy is in. He seems like an outgoing guy - loves to motorcycle travel. So is he ready to give that up to tool around a farm making sure all is well/maintained, the 6-8 weekends of pumpkin season, being around for weddings, not to mention the upkeep and size of the main house.  

And to add - if he does buy into the place - would be be a silent partner or come in with ideas - that could be just as grand (or heaven forbid worse) as Matt's visions? You never know how someone can act when their $$ is on the line...

And if Matt gets the house and farm, what does Caryn bring to the table?

• Love 4
1 minute ago, readheaded said:

And if Matt gets the house and farm, what does Caryn bring to the table?

Interesting. 

But seriously, if Amy were to get the farm, why assume she wouldn't just... hire a farm manager if she was going to continue the pumpkin business? You know, like the one *Matt has had for years and years* who does all the organizing work? And organizing workers for the many many physical chores Matt's never been able to do on his own?

Why assume Chris would have anything to do with the business? He's still a realtor. 

With money saved from the show and properly invested, why assume Amy would *need* to continue the pumpkin business?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Interesting. 

But seriously, if Amy were to get the farm, why assume she wouldn't just... hire a farm manager if she was going to continue the pumpkin business? You know, like the one *Matt has had for years and years* who does all the organizing work? And organizing workers for the many many physical chores Matt's never been able to do on his own?

Why assume Chris would have anything to do with the business? He's still a realtor. 

With money saved from the show and properly invested, why assume Amy would *need* to continue the pumpkin business?

as an investor , if amy does not have enough to buy matt.

I thought the community and Amy like the fall pumpkin season. seems like a great time. lots of work but a great time and tradition.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Interesting. 

Frankly, I think Chris has more to offer Amy with regard to the farm than Caryn has to offer Matt.  They've obviously hired another farm manager who can do what Caryn did, but Chris has been a businessman and can offer that strength to Amy, if only in an informal way and if she wanted or needed it.  But, I agree that Chris wouldn't need to be formally involved in any way at all. 

My main point was that no one seems to ask the same questions about Caryn and her intentions.  I think that Matt wanted a divorce, which required sacrifices to get out of his commitment, but he continues to blame Amy for his unhappiness just as he always has.  That doesn't mean that I think Amy's blameless in the failure of their relationship, because there are always 2 sides, but I find there's often a double standard that's applied to Matt and Amy.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, readheaded said:

It's called a "naked cake" and has been trendy for a couple of years now, especially in the "barn wedding" settings that have become the rage.  It goes with the whole rustic look that Tori favors.

https://www.thekitchn.com/whats-a-naked-cake-and-why-is-it-naked-244010

I saw an episode this morning on TLC from 2015 and Amy looks thinner now that she did then.

I too saw an old episode - but it was the 1st time for me as I didn't watch the show back then.

It was the episode where it was the end of summer -  Jeremy was a SR in college, Zach was planning to move out with buddies, Molly bought a suv to drive herself back to school. Jacob was mostly in his room (ie staying out of the line of fire) playing with video games. The tension b/w amy and matt was thick and they realized (and so did the rest of the family) that they were losing an interest in each other. I think both sensed the end was near.

I only saw a small piece of yesterday's episode was Zach made a bet , that had Amy and Matt tied together for 24 hrs, doing a day's work. WOW.. Yep - the love was defiantly gone..

As far I could tell, matt was still living in the main house then.

Sad, but understandably  it happens. They grew apart, with little common interest except for the children. I know a couple of people like that myself, who also divorced after the last kid went off to college, spending the HS years in misery.

2 minutes ago, sATL said:

as an investor , if amy does not have enough to buy matt.

Can't see it. Now, my own opinions color my views but here goes. That business pretty much hinges on the free advertising it gets from the reality show. It's not a great investment from a business standpoint, and due to laws about breaking up land in that area, it can't be parceled out. 

Also, while Chris seems to be doing well for himself, I doubt he has a half a million that he can casually invest in his girlfriend's weird little home/business/divorce issue

6 minutes ago, readheaded said:

My main point was that no one seems to ask the same questions about Caryn and her intentions.  I think that Matt wanted a divorce, which required sacrifices to get out of his commitment, but he continues to blame Amy for his unhappiness just as he always has. 

Well, I do find it hilarious that while Chris is constantly derided - "Has he quit his job yet to live off Amy? Has he moved in to live off Amy?" - the reality is that Caryn has done exactly these things with Matt. She's now pursuing "event planning" and owns a home with Matt. Hmmm, the same actions that make Chris a gold digging man whore are just ignored. 

Matt does continue to blame Amy for his unhappiness. It's a weird passive aggressive control game for him that he clearly enjoys on some level. I do know that most of the crabbing over the potential sale of the property is just a storyline but I do think Matt desperately wants to drive Amy off the property because he perceives control of the farm as his winning the divorce. 

I also don't think he realized the ramifications of divorce until it was far too late. He pulled the trigger on the nuclear option and walked out on Amy and now he's mad that it had consequences he didn't expect.

• Love 13

I thought Zach and Tori were cute last night, and they sounded a lot like my husband and I do.  People complained about "bickering" but it's not a mean-spirited bickering - they were laughing and joking, and I could totally see a younger person who has little real world experience completely underestimate the amount of food needed.  I always make way too much - everyone in my family does  - but that's why  I save lunch meat containers, Cool Whip tubs, etc, and take them along with me, so people can have a take home portion, and not worry about returning dishes.

Buying the house without selling the other one wasn't a brilliant move, but I can understand their hesitation to move out in to a hotel or something, putting everything in storage, etc., and not wanting to miss out on the ideal house for them.  It's a tough call.  Tori has been a teacher.  I understand her desire to stay home because Jackson has special needs, but there are jobs available to teach Cyber School or do tutoring, all from home, that could bring in extra money.  People criticize Zach for lack of ambition, but my cousin is differently abled (hearing impaired) and your prospects become very slim.  He worked for many years in various manufacturing jobs, but when all the jobs he was qualified to do dried up, he went on disability, and supplements with part time jobs.  Education was difficult for my cousin, and may be for Zach as well, as he has medical issues, may have difficulty navigating classrooms, etc.  Prospective employers could know he has health issues (they've been on TV), or are concerned about liability (even though they're not supposed to violate the ADA, many employers do - my cousin runs in to liability issues a lot), or be concerned looky-loos will create problems, or figure he has TV money and doesn't need their job, or he'll be asking for time off to film/work on the farm - it's not as easy as just "get a job".  

• Love 5
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

Can't see it. Now, my own opinions color my views but here goes. That business pretty much hinges on the free advertising it gets from the reality show. It's not a great investment from a business standpoint, and due to laws about breaking up land in that area, it can't be parceled out. 

Also, while Chris seems to be doing well for himself, I doubt he has a half a million that he can casually invest in his girlfriend's weird little home/business/divorce issue

Well, I do find it hilarious that while Chris is constantly derided - "Has he quit his job yet to live off Amy? Has he moved in to live off Amy?" - the reality is that Caryn has done exactly these things with Matt. She's now pursuing "event planning" and owns a home with Matt. Hmmm, the same actions that make Chris a gold digging man whore are just ignored. 

Matt does continue to blame Amy for his unhappiness. It's a weird passive aggressive control game for him that he clearly enjoys on some level. I do know that most of the crabbing over the potential sale of the property is just a storyline but I do think Matt desperately wants to drive Amy off the property because he perceives control of the farm as his winning the divorce. 

I also don't think he realized the ramifications of divorce until it was far too late. He pulled the trigger on the nuclear option and walked out on Amy and now he's mad that it had consequences he didn't expect.

Agreed on all points.  It's as if he thinks he should have just been able to walk away from his marriage and still have everything he wanted, like Amy had nothing to do with the success of the place and shouldn't share in its dividends.  I find it really disrespectful.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I thought Zach and Tori were cute last night, and they sounded a lot like my husband and I do.  People complained about "bickering" but it's not a mean-spirited bickering - they were laughing and joking, and I could totally see a younger person who has little real world experience completely underestimate the amount of food needed.  I always make way too much - everyone in my family does  - but that's why  I save lunch meat containers, Cool Whip tubs, etc, and take them along with me, so people can have a take home portion, and not worry about returning dishes.

Buying the house without selling the other one wasn't a brilliant move, but I can understand their hesitation to move out in to a hotel or something, putting everything in storage, etc., and not wanting to miss out on the ideal house for them.  It's a tough call.  Tori has been a teacher.  I understand her desire to stay home because Jackson has special needs, but there are jobs available to teach Cyber School or do tutoring, all from home, that could bring in extra money.  People criticize Zach for lack of ambition, but my cousin is differently abled (hearing impaired) and your prospects become very slim.  He worked for many years in various manufacturing jobs, but when all the jobs he was qualified to do dried up, he went on disability, and supplements with part time jobs.  Education was difficult for my cousin, and may be for Zach as well, as he has medical issues, may have difficulty navigating classrooms, etc.  Prospective employers could know he has health issues (they've been on TV), or are concerned about liability (even though they're not supposed to violate the ADA, many employers do - my cousin runs in to liability issues a lot), or be concerned looky-loos will create problems, or figure he has TV money and doesn't need their job, or he'll be asking for time off to film/work on the farm - it's not as easy as just "get a job".  

I also thought it was great that Zach cheerfully took the blame for there not being enough food.  There really seem to be 2 kinds of people-those who don't have enough food and those who have wayyyy too much.  I'm on "Team Way Too Much," but I know people on the other end of the spectrum and you'd better eat before you attend their functions, lol.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Okay I have to ask because I'm not sure if I'm viewing this right or not.

The only thing she needs to worry or comment about is their "business" interaction.... Personal stuff really isn't any of her business anymore and vice versa it's none of Matt's business what Amy chooses to spend her money on.... Why does she care wtf he spends money on?

Plus Chris is sitting there.... I know if I was Chris the last thing I want to do is sit at a family gathering while my new girlfriend takes pot shots at her ex husband.

She has Chris now and he supposedly makes her happy so why is she still all wound up about what Matt does.   *shrug*

She was upset about the gifts for a few reasons:

1) Another example of Matt disregarding what he's told, gleefully, showing he has little regard for anyone but himself.

2) So every time they read who the gift was from, it made "Grandpa Matt" get more attention, etc.  In reality, I'm sure a number of the guests were thinking "Geez" in their heads.  I would be. If I were Zach, I'd be all "Geez Dad, we told you to not buy so much!".  Say it in a non-nasty way, but so that you let people know he disregarded your wishes.  Now Zach and Tori have to deal with everything he bought, while moving/renovating, etc.  And notice how Caryn egged him on.  "OH!  HOW CUTE!!  LOOK AT THIS!!".  Yet she couldn't make her schedule work with the party.  If her planning business is providing a 2 liter and some Dominos Pizza, count me out.  My late step-sister-in-law threw a 1st birthday party for her grandson.  She requested practical, educational gifts, and do not go overboard.  We complied, and bought him a bubble mower.  She bought him kids garden tools (rake, etc) because he loved to play outside.  Other step-sister-in-law did not listen, bought him tons of expensive gifts, and of course, he abandoned anything else anyone bought him.  Her feelings were so hurt, and I got it.  She didn't have the money the other SSIL had, and it hurt her.  I told her aside no one thought any less of her, but I could see the hurt on her face.

3) Amy listened, and bought probably one or two meaningful gifts (instead of a bunch of stuff that will likely not get used, or end up on FB Marketplace), and probably feels that people think she's cheap, etc (like my late SSIL).  Tori and Zach seem to be closer to Amy, so their opinion is what counts ,and I'm sure they understand, but still.

In Amy's eyes (and I somewhat agree), it's just another way for Matt to pick and poke at her.  If it's none of her business what he does, he should adopt the same approach, and leave her alone.  That works both ways.  And if I thought Amy was being petty, I'd call her out on it, but I agree with her here.

• Love 12

To be honest, I can think of a whole lot of worse things an ex-husband could do, than go overboard in buying his grandson presents for his birthday, despite being told not to. 

It's as if Amy is just watching and waiting to find fault with Matt, even if it doesn't have a thing to do with her, and should be none of her business any more.

• Love 7

I am kind of surprised Tori gave up her teaching job.  With both Zack and Jackson being drarfs and expecting medical problems that health insurance would be well needed. 

Teachers have great health insurance and also retirement plans.   Also if they expect to expand their family there's that expense of prenatal, birthing and postnatal care.  That was a lot to give up.

Thinking about it I wonder if they have a group plan for all of them under the farm business? 

Health insurance is so expensive and pre existing conditions make it even more expensive. 

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Jenny8 said:

To be honest, I can think of a whole lot of worse things an ex-husband could do, than go overboard in buying his grandson presents for his birthday, despite being told not to. 

It's as if Amy is just watching and waiting to find fault with Matt, even if it doesn't have a thing to do with her, and should be none of her business any more.

I was surprised she said anything since Zach is an adult and he was handling it himself by pointing out that Matt bought more than they wanted.

To me Amy inserting herself made Zach look like a child and it made Amy look bitchy.

Zach was handling it fine on his own.... Plus Chris looked awkward when Amy started bitching about Matt.

JMO but I think she should have left the ball in Zach's court.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I don't think it's all that unusual to buy before you sell. It's a gamble but usually works out. Houses show better once you move out. I'm sure they have show money to bridge the gap.

Also it's easier to reno before you move in.

I think it’s unusual for a married couple with a child who aren’t millionaires to take on the responsibility of two mortgages...wow...I have grown children that just bought their first homes in a very strong market and I cannot imagine them having to pay two mortgages along with their other bills. I don’t even know people who are getting ready to retire that do this. But the Roloff kids (except for Molly) have always been airheads when it comes to practical matters like home buying and renovations.

We are in a very strange housing market right now in my part of the country.  Homes go on the market today, have five showings and are gone tomorrow.

I think Zack said they bid on two and lost them.  It happens every day here.

So I can see him buying one and hoping with the market moving so fast his other home would sell quickly. 

If not I'm pretty sure they are prepared financially or the bank would not have made the loan.

• Love 2

Hopefully they're prepared to carry both homes for a while if it's necessary.

The only reason I felt a bit concerned was because of Amy's reaction... She seemed quite concerned.

Maybe her reaction was ramped up for drama and the show... Guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Love 2

The house sold for $45K less than their asking price after being on the market for several months.  I think it was on Radaronline yesterday.  I don't remember how much they paid for it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

The cost of the new house was said to be $560,000 - not sure if that included the cost of reno.  They sold the old house for under $400,000 (can't remember the exact price - in the $380,000 neighborhood).  Subtracting the old house from the new, they had a difference of $178,000.  Not the end of the world if that $560,000 included reno.  If not, that's a little harder.  I thought maybe he paid cash for the old house, but when he talked about having 2 mortgages, I figured not.  Hopefully if they're underwater, it's not by much.

***ETA: they paid $260,000 for the old house, so assuming they weren't underwater to begin with, they'll be fine.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, winsomeone said:

On The Little Couple show, they got a house with an elevator. The wife's a doctor so they're probably better off financially. 

• Love 2
On 4/3/2019 at 8:17 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone notice how much better looking Zach has become? He was quite handsome last night in some of those cameo scenes.  Married life and baby really do agree with him.  

Yes! Very handsome, I agree.  I always thought Zach was handsome, but he is handsome(r) 😁 now.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

Yes! Very handsome, I agree.  I always thought Zach was handsome, but he is handsome(r) 😁 now.

I think Tori brings out the best in Zack!  I hope the parents bickering doesn't effect this young couple!

Btw Zack might have had equity in the old home and could take out a home equity loan to pay for the new home or at least the down payment and renovations!  Much less expensive than a mortgage.

(edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 11:17 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Did anyone notice how much better looking Zach has become? He was quite handsome last night in some of those cameo scenes.  Married life and baby really do agree with him.  

9 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

Sooo.. is the consensus that Zach looks/favors like of his parents, who was also quite was handsome, in his younger days  ?   😁

Edited by sATL
3 hours ago, sATL said:

Sooo.. is the consensus that Zach looks/favors like of his parents, who was also quite was handsome, in his younger days  ?   😁

I think he looks mostly like Amy, but I do think that Matt was attractive in his younger years (if I'm only looking at his appearance and not his personality).

• Love 4
On 4/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, Jenny8 said:

Well, sure. If watching 9-1-1 has taught me anything, it's that Matt could crazily stalk Amy across the country and then kill people in a grand scheme to punish her for being a bad wife. I mean, there's always something worse.

On 4/5/2019 at 10:53 AM, Jenny8 said:

I didn't find it to be excessive. I mean, let's be honest. This was clearly a moment that was meant to be *on camera*. Zach is filmed noting on camera that he specifically asked people to not go crazy with giving a one year old gifts. Matt is filmed noting on camera that he has not intention of abiding by what Zach has asked and buys numerous excessive multiple gifts. Did anyone really think Amy's reaction *wasn't* going to be displayed? Really?

As for whether it had a thing to do with her and was or wasn't her business - Zach is her son, and made a reasonable request in regards to how he wants his son's birthday to be celebrated. Jackson is her grandson. I didn't realize that while Matt has every right to ignore Zach's wishes and see to it that Jackson is treated as *Matt* wants him treated, because it's absolutely Matt's business how Jackson is raised, but Amy in contrast has no interest in how her grandson is raised and her son's wishes being violated are absolutely none of her business. This feels like a double standard.

I also just don't feel that Zach made an unreasonable request. He has every right to set boundaries on gift giving. I know I always check with my sister before I gift the neice with something because I'm not the parent, she is. 

• Love 10