Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, suev3333 said:

.....and, T and Z with a new baby AND a new puppy??? Insanity....

I've always been a big fan of Tori's.  I think she has a lot of good qualities, but, this thing with the new puppy really turned me off for several reasons. One of my biggest peeves are people who poor mouth (a term used in my area for people who whine a lot about lack of funds, how much their expenses are, how they can't afford this or that).  And so for someone to poor mouth and then take on the extra expenses of a large breed dog is ridiculous. Like Zach said, the vet (this breed has numerous health issues and vet needs high) meds, food, supplies, boarding when you go out of town, etc.  It makes no sense and seems overly indulgent to me. THEN, there is the fact that they were in the process of showing their house.  Some people don't want a house where a dog has lived.  It can cause smells, regardless of how clean you are....plus, some people have allergies.  And, you have to make arrangements for strange people coming into the house with a dog inside.  Just seems very ill conceived.  

But, my biggest issue with it, is that this dog when adult size could easily, inadvertently, harm Jackson, by stepping or laying on him.(This breed is high energy and challenging to train.)  The sheer weight of a 100 pound dog is a big risk to take, imo.  To me Tori's obsession with this breed of dog is more important to her than than the safety of her child.  It really annoys me and I don't think I"ll feel the same way about her anymore. And, shame on Zack for not pointing this out and putting his foot down. An average size dog might have been a better choice, if she was dying to have a dog. Plus, they obviously didn't get any professional advice on introducing a dog to a child.  You don't put them on the same physical level. I've seen experts explain it before.  And, you also don't put a baby in a dog crate.  I know they were trying to be funny, but, to me, that's just not acceptable for any reason. 

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bernese-mountain-dog#/slide/1

I like Chris too, but, I'm not so sure that he and Amy are really on the same page.  She can act all happy go lucky, but, to me she seems to really want a permanent commitment. For him, it's all about adventure. What about other things?  I hope Amy gets what she wants. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 11
48 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

But, my biggest issue with it, is that this dog when adult size could easily, inadvertently, harm Jackson, by stepping or laying on him.(This breed is high energy and challenging to train.)  The sheer weight of a 100 pound dog is a big risk to take, imo. 

In fairness, this is true of any child under five yet we do not hear a constant stream of stories of toddlers killed or harmed by large dogs laying on them. Nor is anyone proposing any sort of ban or law against people with children owning large dogs. Unless all parents are bad parents if they have big dogs and children together, I find this to be a giant reach - that Tory can never have a Swiss Mountain Dog again because she's the mother of a little person and this breed is prone to accidently murdering dwarf children. 

I do agree that moving and getting a dog don't go together, but having been around pet people, I generally find they will ignore such things. I also find the poor whining annoying but for a different reason, namely that they are on a reality show and clearly aren't broke and clearly can afford the dog. The poor whining annoys me more because people who are genuinely worried about money get jobs. 

• Love 9

agree with above. Cute puppy but not the best breed for the family. The life span is a little short for someone who wants the puppy to grow with the family.  after the prev dog untimely passing, I would have selected one with a little longer life span.

And the puppy acquisition couldn't  have waited until the house sold?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, sATL said:

To be honest, based on my experience with dog lovers, I'm actually surprised that there wasn't a puppy in the house within weeks of Sully's death. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I have the same feelings about Chris and I really don't know why.... There's just something about his reactions or non-reactions that make me wonder.

I keep telling myself that it's probably just editing and maybe he isn't completely comfortable appearing on tv.

I hope I'm wrong but no matter how hard I try I just can't shake this feeling.

I agree with everything you said except for the "good looking" comment...that's setting the bar a little low. He's not bad looking but more average. He's no Bradley Cooper.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've always been a big fan of Tori's.  I think she has a lot of good qualities, but, this thing with the new puppy really turned me off for several reasons. One of my biggest peeves are people who poor mouth (a term used in my area for people who whine a lot about lack of funds, how much their expenses are, how they can't afford this or that).  And so for someone to poor mouth and then take on the extra expenses of a large breed dog is ridiculous. Like Zach said, the vet (this breed has numerous health issues and vet needs high) meds, food, supplies, boarding when you go out of town, etc.  It makes no sense and seems overly indulgent to me. THEN, there is the fact that they were in the process of showing their house.  Some people don't want a house where a dog has lived.  It can cause smells, regardless of how clean you are....plus, some people have allergies.  And, you have to make arrangements for strange people coming into the house with a dog inside.  Just seems very ill conceived.  

But, my biggest issue with it, is that this dog when adult size could easily, inadvertently, harm Jackson, by stepping or laying on him.(This breed is high energy and challenging to train.)  The sheer weight of a 100 pound dog is a big risk to take, imo.  To me Tori's obsession with this breed of dog is more important to her than than the safety of her child.  It really annoys me and I don't think I"ll feel the same way about her anymore. And, shame on Zack for not pointing this out and putting his foot down. An average size dog might have been a better choice, if she was dying to have a dog. Plus, they obviously didn't get any professional advice on introducing a dog to a child.  You don't put them on the same physical level. I've seen experts explain it before.  And, you also don't put a baby in a dog crate.  I know they were trying to be funny, but, to me, that's just not acceptable for any reason. 

https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/bernese-mountain-dog#/slide/1

I like Chris too, but, I'm not so sure that he and Amy are really on the same page.  She can act all happy go lucky, but, to me she seems to really want a permanent commitment. For him, it's all about adventure. What about other things?  I hope Amy gets what she wants. 

I have to say that as a long time dog owner I was shocked by this episode. First off, getting a dog should be a mutual decision not a negotiation that involves sex and having a child! It was clear that Zach was not really on board with it...he didn't even want to go shopping for the puppy supplies. Getting a puppy while you're trying to sell your house was just stupid. I get the impression that Tori has never heard NO to something she wants. Zach is not a good decision maker either. Not selling the house first before buying another one was risky and terribly dumb. Honestly, who advises them on matters of finance and real estate? As far as I can tell neither of them are working...Zach might still be coaching soccer but that is not a full time well paying job that can support a family...what do they do for health insurance for themselves and the baby? You'd think they would be more frugal on expenses and life decisions like selling/buying a home and buying an expensive giant breed dog. The stupidity of the Roloff men is astounding. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I have a co-worker who has has several Bernese Mountain dogs. I've worked with him for 12 years...he's on his 3rd dog since I've known him, but had 2 others before I met him.  He said the dogs all died before they were 5, and they all had various cancers that are common for the breed.  He did get several of the pups from different breeders, so they weren't all related.  I do not understand why he and his wife kept getting the same dog, and put themselves and their kids through the sadness of losing a pet...every few years! SO I foresee the same sadness for Z & T.

It's great that Z &T want a dog and want their kid(s) to grow up with a dog. But there are soo many other breeds that would be more suitable size & temperament IMO.  Plus, they really should have waited until they were in the new house officially.  A puppy (and kids) do better with regulation and routine.  By the time they sell that original house, the dogg will have settled in only to be uprooted & have to learn new routines all over again.  Add a just-walking toddler to the mix and good grief!  That's a lot of upheaval for everyone in the house.

As for buying the new house without selling the first...that was a colossally  bad idea from the jump.  I don't think either of them did ANY market research or asked for advice from anyone before they bought the new place.  At least have the house on the market for a few weeks, and evaluate how the traffic on your open houses goes!  Even if they got super lucky and sold immediately without having a new house yet, it isn't as if they were going to be "homeless".  They could have moved in with Tori's parents, or Amy for a couple of weeks until they found a home.  If they thought they'd be able to afford "a few weeks" of 2 mortgages plus 2 sets of overhead costs, then they had enough money to stay in a hotel if House 1 sold before House 2 was found/ready to move into. 

Also dumb idea to not only buy a 2nd house, but to actually start rehab/renovation projects BEFORE selling the first!!  How much $$ did Zach have tucked under his mattress???  Current mortgage + upkeep + food+ utilities+ cost of new house+upkeep+utilities + $$$ for contractors/materials/...that's CRAZY.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

She told him to take a few breaths and he had a look to his face that was a bit off. But at the same time, her incessant chattering and miss Mary sunshine attitude would have been annoying. He was also annoyed with the massive amount of crap she felt the need to bring with them. 

That look on his face told me he was wishing she would just shut the hell up! Her blathering on was too much. Mary Sunshine tries so hard to not rock the boat with this guy. Nope, there will be no living together or getting married for Mr. Chris. He wants his space and as long as she's happy with motorcycle rides, camping trips and the occasional obligatory family get together the relationship will do just fine. Frankly, If I was at that age and had Amy's financial freedom and it was the second time around for me, that type of relationship would suit me just fine. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, bichonblitz said:

That look on his face told me he was wishing she would just shut the hell up! Her blathering on was too much. Mary Sunshine tries so hard to not rock the boat with this guy. Nope, there will be no living together or getting married for Mr. Chris. He wants his space and as long as she's happy with motorcycle rides, camping trips and the occasional obligatory family get together the relationship will do just fine. Frankly, If I was at that age and had Amy's financial freedom and it was the second time around for me, that type of relationship would suit me just fine. 

Yes. He is used to kicking it by himself or whichever woman he with. And apparently he likes to travel light - food included.

The trailer hitch mishap...hmmm.

Edited by sATL

No, Zach, a dog is not just a dog.  It is a member of the family. Tori gets that.  His problem is that he was jealous of Sully (he said as much) and does not want her attention diverted from him by the new dog.  Perhaps the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, sATL said:

agree with above. Cute puppy but not the best breed for the family. The life span is a little short for someone who wants the puppy to grow with the family.  after the prev dog untimely passing, I would have selected one with a little longer life span.

Sully was only 3 when he died.  He got cancer, that's unlucky, but it doesn't mean that this dog can't beat te odds and live 10-11 years.

Maybe they wanted him house broken before they moved to the new house, with the brand new floors.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

That was pretty dull IMO "Little People Same Old Thing".  Murphy is a beautiful dog, and obviously it all worked out since he is still with them and everything is fine.  I didn't know that Tori's previous dog also a Bernese died of cancer.  My friend's Bernese did too at 5 years.  Their life span is only 6 to 8 years.  Hope Murphy beats the odds.  I wonder if Amy and Matt only entertain friends when the other is not around?  

• Love 1

That's tough to like a breed that has the third shortest life span on the list of dog breeds (really tied for second shortest).  I think I'd probably try to change my view especially with their susceptibility to cancer.  It would break my heart over and over and I'm not one to deliberately do that to myself.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 7

I wonder if the Farm, as it is, really does generate that much profit. Their operating hours during pumpkin season seem quite short.  If so, I get keeping it for sentimental reasons and income, but, I was wondering if it might be better used if converted to a spa facility, retreat of some kind....nature, fields, quiet, massage, yoga, convert big house to luxury suites,  not too far out of town, gourmet organic food grown right on the farm, etc.  

• Love 1
8 hours ago, kicksave said:

I agree with everything you said except for the "good looking" comment...that's setting the bar a little low. He's not bad looking but more average. He's no Bradley Cooper.

I think you have me mixed up with someone else...

I've never said anything about Chris's looks... Good, bad or otherwise.  

OMG, I'm watching this week's episode and Caryn and Matt are even more awful than before.  And, what is Caryn "consulting" about?  How many people want to pay a consultant to know how to be a side piece?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Maybe not so nervous but the constant kissing really gets on my nerves. They said that their friends at the campfire started dating when Chris and Amy did but you don't see them hanging all over each other. It's so annoying. Stop selling the relationship. We get it. You're dating. 

Ya the cuddling, snuggling and kissing is a little over the top for older people.

Her ass was in his man spreading crotch and it's not like they were on a private camp trip with friends, it's being recorded for TV... Sure Chris is a single dude but Amy is a grandmother and her kids will be watching... Tori and Zach don't even do that... The other couple weren't doing that.

I expect that type of stuff from teenagers or newlyweds....  Anyone older than that just looks dumb.... I get it, you like each other... Holding hands or an arm around the other while walking is enough.... Even a little kiss or peck on the cheek out of affection.

I think our kids would freak if hubby and I carried on like that.  😂 

I'd be just as blech if Caryn and Matt were constantly kissing and canoodling.

To each their own but that type of display is not for me. 

Edited by Joan of Argh
Added a thought
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I think you have me mixed up with someone else...

I've never said anything about Chris's looks... Good, bad or otherwise.  

Oops! My bad...don't know what happened. Must have hit the wrong thread.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Kid said:

No, Zach, a dog is not just a dog.  It is a member of the family. Tori gets that.  His problem is that he was jealous of Sully (he said as much) and does not want her attention diverted from him by the new dog.  Perhaps the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Or he might not be a pet person. Or its a combo of both. I won't lie. I grew up in a home with a mother who loved her dog like an extra child and loved the fact that the dog adored her and her alone, to where it was nippy and wouldn't mind anyone but her. Every irritating habit of the dog had to tolerated. I would come to visit as an adult, and I was wrong to be annoyed that the dog was getting into my suitcase and getting on my bed because "it was his house". The dog of my childhood had constant vet attention and the fact that I had chronic sinus problems was poo poo'd as no biggy. (in fact I had an allergy to pet dander) The dog of my childhood also graphically attacked two of my sister's pet cats to where one died and the other was maimed, and this was deemed my sister's fault for having cats, and also the cats fault for not understanding that mom's dog ruled the roost. If I didn't have allergies, I might consider having a dog but honestly, due to my experience with excessive dog owners, I don't have a lot of patience with people like Tory going crazy over a new puppy.

I don't think this is Zach's experience but "the dog is family" isn't a universal sentiment, and it's not always a good mindset.

• Love 4

My only problem with Tori getting a new puppy is that she must have gotten him from a breeder.  There are thousands of wonderful dogs sitting in shelters waiting for their forever homes.  So, it just kills me when people pay a thousand dollars for a pure breed puppy, when that money could pay for the first couple of years of vet bills and supplies.

I am a "pets are family" type person, and every time I've lost a dog I have adopted another dog within the month.  Nothing helps to heal the heart like getting rid of that horrible silence, that losing a dog leaves in the house.  It doesn't completely the stop the grieving, but it helps.

Also, regarding Zach not being a dog person.  Zach loved Sully nearly as much as Tori did.  He was heart broken when he died.  He talks a good game, but he's equally excited to have a new puppy.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Honey said:

My only problem with Tori getting a new puppy is that she must have gotten him from a breeder.  There are thousands of wonderful dogs sitting in shelters waiting for their forever homes.  So, it just kills me when people pay a thousand dollars for a pure breed puppy, when that money could pay for the first couple of years of vet bills and supplies.

I am a "pets are family" type person, and every time I've lost a dog I have adopted another dog within the month.  Nothing helps to heal the heart like getting rid of that horrible silence, that losing a dog leaves in the house.  It doesn't completely the stop the grieving, but it helps.

I had my cat, Foster, for 10 years. I had to put him down last September, he started having seizures. I said I wasn't going to get another one right away. I said I was going to get an older one. I said I was going to get maybe an older bonded pair. I said I wan't going to get a kitten. Yeah, by October I had 2 6 month old kittens. They are sisters from the same litter and were in the same cage at the Humane Society. No way could I split them up. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I have a co-worker who has has several Bernese Mountain dogs. I've worked with him for 12 years...he's on his 3rd dog since I've known him, but had 2 others before I met him.  He said the dogs all died before they were 5, and they all had various cancers that are common for the breed.  He did get several of the pups from different breeders, so they weren't all related.  I do not understand why he and his wife kept getting the same dog, and put themselves and their kids through the sadness of losing a pet...every few years! SO I foresee the same sadness for Z & T.

It's great that Z &T want a dog and want their kid(s) to grow up with a dog. But there are soo many other breeds that would be more suitable size & temperament IMO.  Plus, they really should have waited until they were in the new house officially.  A puppy (and kids) do better with regulation and routine.  By the time they sell that original house, the dogg will have settled in only to be uprooted & have to learn new routines all over again.  Add a just-walking toddler to the mix and good grief!  That's a lot of upheaval for everyone in the house.

As for buying the new house without selling the first...that was a colossally  bad idea from the jump.  I don't think either of them did ANY market research or asked for advice from anyone before they bought the new place.  At least have the house on the market for a few weeks, and evaluate how the traffic on your open houses goes!  Even if they got super lucky and sold immediately without having a new house yet, it isn't as if they were going to be "homeless".  They could have moved in with Tori's parents, or Amy for a couple of weeks until they found a home.  If they thought they'd be able to afford "a few weeks" of 2 mortgages plus 2 sets of overhead costs, then they had enough money to stay in a hotel if House 1 sold before House 2 was found/ready to move into. 

Also dumb idea to not only buy a 2nd house, but to actually start rehab/renovation projects BEFORE selling the first!!  How much $$ did Zach have tucked under his mattress???  Current mortgage + upkeep + food+ utilities+ cost of new house+upkeep+utilities + $$$ for contractors/materials/...that's CRAZY.

and the best breed they could have chosen is RESCUE. 

2 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

I had my cat, Foster, for 10 years. I had to put him down last September, he started having seizures. I said I wasn't going to get another one right away. I said I was going to get an older one. I said I was going to get maybe an older bonded pair. I said I wan't going to get a kitten. Yeah, by October I had 2 6 month old kittens. They are sisters from the same litter and were in the same cage at the Humane Society. No way could I split them up. 

thank you for caring. still haven't been able to make the leap after the passing of my cat.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Honey said:

Also, regarding Zach not being a dog person.  Zach loved Sully nearly as much as Tori did.  He was heart broken when he died.  He talks a good game, but he's equally excited to have a new puppy.

agreed. too much breeding of dogs and cats while so many will be put to death in shelters across the country. not to mention the ferals.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Or he might not be a pet person. Or its a combo of both. I won't lie. I grew up in a home with a mother who loved her dog like an extra child and loved the fact that the dog adored her and her alone, to where it was nippy and wouldn't mind anyone but her. Every irritating habit of the dog had to tolerated. I would come to visit as an adult, and I was wrong to be annoyed that the dog was getting into my suitcase and getting on my bed because "it was his house". The dog of my childhood had constant vet attention and the fact that I had chronic sinus problems was poo poo'd as no biggy. (in fact I had an allergy to pet dander) The dog of my childhood also graphically attacked two of my sister's pet cats to where one died and the other was maimed, and this was deemed my sister's fault for having cats, and also the cats fault for not understanding that mom's dog ruled the roost. If I didn't have allergies, I might consider having a dog but honestly, due to my experience with excessive dog owners, I don't have a lot of patience with people like Tory going crazy over a new puppy.

I don't think this is Zach's experience but "the dog is family" isn't a universal sentiment, and it's not always a good mindset.

Funny our moms must've been related...

It didn't sour me on pets, but I'm different from what I grew up with in that the kids know they are top priority & preference. I have re-homed animals that did not get along with either a child (the kids know how to treat pets kindly) or another, established pet.

Some of my best pets were rescues, especially my very special cat who lived to be 20yrs old - she was a jewel. I'll always miss her.

I'm not sure how Tori & Zach handled so much all at once, but I've also considered they may have had a lot more help than we'll ever know about.

• Love 3

Based on how Tori has acted on the show when she got Sully and this time with Murphy, it seems she has some kind of STRONG attraction to this breed of dog. I'm not sure what it is.  There are other breeds that are intelligent and loyal. Even mixed breeds can be very good pets.   I found one Bernese Mountain dog breeder with website in OR with puppies going for $2,600.00 EACH.  Not including spay or neuter. People can pick the pet of their choice of course. So, I don't fault her for that, if they can afford the price and the care, but, my main beef was the large size.  So, you have a husband and child who are overshadowed by the dog.  Just seems strange to me, as well as unsafe. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Honey said:

Thank you for saying this - I was too timid to speak up first...this is one of those issues that get people going, but I agree that until there are no more unwanted dogs and the shelters have to close, I can’t understand purposefully producing more animals for purchase. Not to mention, as Tori has experienced,  many breeds are often more likely to be prone to health issues. A mixed breed dog often won’t have those same issues that breeding seems to perpetuate. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sATL said:

insurance ?at age 1 ?

Zach may be eligible for SSI, but since I don't think that dwarfism is automatically considered a disability, Jackson probably wouldn't be eligible.  Jackson, while he may have difficulties in the future due to his dwarfism, hasn't been "disabled" yet (if that makes sense) in the same way, for example, a child with a serious form of cerebral palsy is.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

insurance ?at age 1 ?

The baby would only be eligible for SSI, which does have income requirements (for SSDI, you have to be over a certain age and have a number of years of work credits - there are no income requirements in that they don't care how many cars you have, how much your home is worth, etc - they do care if you work, though).  So I doubt that Zach and Tori would qualify for SSI ,but Jackson may qualify for other programs aimed at differently abled children.

Zach wouldn't qualify for SSI, and I doubt he has enough work credits for SSDI.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, readheaded said:

Zach may be eligible for SSI, but since I don't think that dwarfism is automatically considered a disability, Jackson probably wouldn't be eligible.  Jackson, while he may have difficulties in the future due to his dwarfism, hasn't been "disabled" yet (if that makes sense) in the same way, for example, a child with a serious form of cerebral palsy is.

https://www.disability-benefits-help.org/disabling-conditions/dwarfism-and-social-security-disability-benefits

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

To be eligible for Social Security benefits, Zach would have had to have worked sufficiently which he perhaps did with the soccer center.  The benefits wouldn't be very high based on that short period of relatively low income, but being qualified for Medicare would be a great benefit.  However, if Zach and Tori are being paid separately for working on the show, that income would probably disqualify Zach from receiving Social Security payments as being a substantial gainful activity.  

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

To be eligible for Social Security benefits, Zach would have had to have worked sufficiently which he perhaps did with the soccer center.  The benefits wouldn't be very high based on that short period of relatively low income, but being qualified for Medicare would be a great benefit.  However, if Zach and Tori are being paid separately for working on the show, that income would probably disqualify Zach from receiving Social Security payments as being a substantial gainful activity.  

doesn't one pay into Social security from gross income ? like those who are self-employed - ie when he gets his TLC check , I thought SS was one of those taxes you have to pay into,

Paying into social security and being eligible for benefits are separate.  Working and being paid frequently preclude being eligible to receive benefits.  There are a few exceptions to that, but most are limited to very low earners.  

Maybe you're talking about paying into the system and I was talking about receiving payments?

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Honey said:

YES, YES, YES!  Adopt don't shop.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sATL said:

doesn't one pay into Social security from gross income ? like those who are self-employed - ie when he gets his TLC check , I thought SS was one of those taxes you have to pay into,

You do, but you have to work for so many years and earn so many work credits with the government to be eligible for SSDI (more known as "disability").  We looked in to disability for my husband once - he has more than enough work credits to qualify for a monthly payment we could easily live on - but we can't survive on my income alone, and you technically can't work while applying for disability (you can earn a minor amount, but it's really complicated and not really needed for this discussion), so since we can't live on my salary alone, we abandoned it (the average time for approval is 27 months, considering most people are rejected at least once).

Children, and some adults, may qualify for SSI, which requires no work credits, but takes in to account things like monthly income for the entire household, cars owned, house owned, 401K accounts, life insurance policies, funeral plots, etc.  SSI pays out much less than SSDI, because the person receiving it hasn't paid enough in to the system.  SSI is also not funded by what someone pays in, so it's got much stricter guidelines, and is really aimed at those truly struggling.

There are plenty of programs available that they likely may take advantage of, but I don't see them doing either SSI or SSDI, due to work credits and income levels.

• Love 2

The Bernese Mountain dog is a calm, affectionate dog once he gets past the adolescent years.  That can be said about nearly every dog breed out there.  They make wonderful family pets.  My kids are in their 30's, and we always had dogs, and mostly large dogs.  I always felt that the large breeds weren't bothered when a toddler accidentally tripped and fell on them and that happened many times.  I did daycare out of my home while owning 3 large dogs and everyone was very comfortable with the dogs being around children.  My son and his wife have rescued pets for 10 years and just recently bought their first purebred puppy, a large herding dog that isn't a well known breed, but they fell in love with one at a dog show.  They will always have rescues, cats, dogs, turtles, a chinchilla and rabbits so far, but they love this dog.  They also wanted a big dog to handle the play time with the 2 and 4 year old.  The dog is 9 months old and very calm with the kids. My kids grew up with dogs, I trained dogs many years ago, so no concerns about size.  But, the very large dogs do normally have a shorter life span, but my niece has 2 mastiffs that are over 9 now and they are still around and okay, so you never know.

Zach seemed to have the normal reaction of someone who lived on a farm around animals.   My husband grew up like that and I just don't see them getting excited like us city people about animals.  Although, when our Australian Shepherd died, my husband grieved for months over his favorite dog.  They care, but the excitement was just different when our dogs came home.

Oh yea, Caryn was banging Matt.  No doubt!  Amy holds it together better than I would.  Caryn wasn't a stranger, she came to Amy's home. How disrespectful!  But Matt, watch your back, she won't suddenly develop morals, good luck with that one.

I think Chris is very handsome too.  I mean if I was younger, I wouldn't get it, but at my age and at his age, he is nice looking.

• Love 8

I think Chris is nice looking for his age... no movie star but not homely... he has a decent body and seems physically fit... Amy did well.

So far he has a couple little personality quirks but that's pretty good for 2 yrs... no obvious problems so I'm thinking he's probably sincere.

I don't think he's the marrying type.... when asked he quickly pointed out that too many people around him ended in divorce... seems like he wants to avoid that.

Amy seems a lot more interested in the whole prospect of marriage than he does and I'm positive she wouldn't be able to scream YES!!!! fast enough if he popped the question.

I wish she would take it down a notch because it's kind of showing and it smells of desperation.

At any rate I wish her happiness and I hope it all works out for her.

• Love 3

I think it's great that she got a large dog.  In general large breeds tend to be gentler than smaller dogs.  Jackson will be able to crawl all over Murphy, and he won't care at all.  Small dogs tend to be nippier and yippier.

Honey: (owner of a small nippy, yippy dog)  🙂

• Love 3
On 4/11/2019 at 10:56 AM, Shieldmaiden said:

Thank you for saying this - I was too timid to speak up first...this is one of those issues that get people going, but I agree that until there are no more unwanted dogs and the shelters have to close, I can’t understand purposefully producing more animals for purchase. Not to mention, as Tori has experienced,  many breeds are often more likely to be prone to health issues. A mixed breed dog often won’t have those same issues that breeding seems to perpetuate. 

I wish other states would pass a law like CA did.  Pet shops may no longer sell breeder dogs, only those from shelters.  

Sorry for so many posts in a row.  Didn't the software used to combine posts?  I suppose I will have to do it myself from now on.

Edited by Honey
Apology
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

So far he has a couple little personality quirks

We can all lay claim to a couple personality quirks.

download.jpg.4311b24a29df2b3db9e3e64ba6bd4a14.jpg

On 4/10/2019 at 9:04 AM, bichonblitz said:

As a realtor, I see too much clutter in that house. It could have sold a lot quicker.  Rule #1 when listing your house. De-clutter. Rent a storage space if you have to and put your personal stuff in there. You want it to look like there is as much space as possible. And move the TV away from the front window. And clean out your garage so you can fit at least one car in there. Good lord.  

When they were moaning about the slow pace of their house selling & they had nowhere to put their stuff, I thought the same or store your stuff at the farm.  Maybe go spend the weekend there so the real estate agent can show the house without worrying about Jackson’s nap time.  After all Grandma Amy is complaining she doesn’t see him enough.

• Love 5
On 4/10/2019 at 9:32 AM, kicksave said:

I have to say that as a long time dog owner I was shocked by this episode. First off, getting a dog should be a mutual decision not a negotiation that involves sex and having a child! It was clear that Zach was not really on board with it...he didn't even want to go shopping for the puppy supplies. Getting a puppy while you're trying to sell your house was just stupid. I get the impression that Tori has never heard NO to something she wants. Zach is not a good decision maker either. Not selling the house first before buying another one was risky and terribly dumb. Honestly, who advises them on matters of finance and real estate? As far as I can tell neither of them are working...Zach might still be coaching soccer but that is not a full time well paying job that can support a family...what do they do for health insurance for themselves and the baby? You'd think they would be more frugal on expenses and life decisions like selling/buying a home and buying an expensive giant breed dog. The stupidity of the Roloff men is astounding. 

I believe Tori and Zach HAVE A JOB.  They're on a popular reality TV show that's been on for years.  I don't know what they get paid per episode but my belief is that the income from TLC is substantial and that for all the years the show has been on the Roloff family has accumulated a lot of wealth.  I think they must have competent financial advisors and lawyers who negotiate their contracts with TLC.  As the popularity of the show progressed I'm sure their fees per episode also increased.  They probably have a corporate entity that takes care of their health insurance and other expenses an employer would provide.

The story lines intentionally portray Zach and Torie as "struggling" financially to imply that as neither "work a job" (other than appearing on TV) they should not be shown as "rolling in dough".  

However, their purchase of a large, new home with (apparently) every amenity seems to substantiate my theory that they have a lot of $$$ in various accounts (investment and other) and they have a sizable, ongoing cash flow from TLC.

Unlike Jer and AuJ (who, apparently, believe they can make a living from their enterprises (as inane as they are to some), Zach and Torie seem to be clinging to their role in the show for years to come.  Matt and Amy fall into that category, as well.  Molly is a highly paid accounting professional (from the little they revealed about her getting her CPA) and Jacob probably has enough savings from past years on the show to support his "writing" and simple way of life.

I just caught up watching the past 2 episodes since they ran today...

If they actually ran out of food how far away is the grocery store that Zach or someone couldn't run out & grab some more burgers & hot dogs? Geesh, it's not that complicated, unless of course, it was staged.

I was annoyed they showed Jer & Auj so much at the party. They quit the show but still got way too many mug shots in to help the book sales.

So Amy & Chris have been together 2 yrs (at that point in the show); seems like it took a long time to just start to get comfortable with each other.

Chris seemed to be putting the mishap with the RV behind him, yet Amy had to bring it up twice afterward. I'm thinking his chuckles about it in the TH were polite. I know I would've been a bit annoyed with her but maybe he's just very patient.

I totally agree with all the comments about how silly they act together. We get it, you're a couple, now sit in your own chair, Amy.

To me it looked like Caryn has gained a bit of weight, not Amy.

The incessant farm talk is gonna bring this show to its grave before they ever decide to sell it, IF ever.

• Love 6