Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

Well, chalk one up for MeTV. They not only show the opening and closing credits, but also the end tags AND the closing credits FULL SCREEN so one can see who played whom!

Yes, METV ran a lot of commercials for itself touting the fact that they show the full opening credits/song and final tag/credits.  It was nice to hear the full "Cheers" song when that was on METV.

I just watched a Goldie Hawn interview with Johnny Carson from 1978; she was much less ditzy that I had remembered her being from back then.  Then at the end of the interview, mentioned that she had a new film with Chevy Chase coming out in June, a murder-mystery-frightening-funny film.  Did not mention the title, but it was "Foul Play," which I love.  Then Buck Henry came out to promote "Heaven Can Wait", and Goldie Hawn passed along a message from Chevy Chase about underwear.  It was just a fun conversation, and clearly not at all scripted the way so many talk shows are now. 

• Love 1

Just an FYI  for those of us who aren't in general that interested in the vintage talk/variety shows, since those of you who are already know this I'm sure  -   in honor of Martin Luther King Day tomorrow night GetTV will be airing the Judy Garland Show with  guest Count Basie, the Merv Griffin show with guest Martin Luther King, and the Perry Como Show with guest Lena Horne.  An excellent evening's lineup.

Which I know because I've been glued to GetTV's special series of the month, Boston Blackie.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

Just an FYI  for those of us who aren't in general that interested in the vintage talk/variety shows, since those of you who are already know this I'm sure  -   in honor of Martin Luther King Day tomorrow night GetTV will be airing...

the Merv Griffin show with guest Martin Luther King....

If you're in the Chicago area:

9:00pm-10:00pm (First Aired: Jul. 6, 1967) Civil Rights activist Martin Luther King, Jr. and singer-songwriter Harry Belafonte

18.2 WVTVDT2

66.2 WGBODT2

• Love 1

Starting February 8, Heroes & Icons is adding Hercules and Xena to their weekly schedule. Airing at 6 and 7 EST. I wonder if that means that instead of two episodes of The Commish and Hunter, we'll get one. All I know is, they better not remove my Hill Street Blues!!!!

• Love 2

Cozi has moved The Avengers from 1 AM weekdays nights (to make room for the A-Team, ok, whatever)  to the odd (but DVRable of course) double timeslot of 3 AM and 4AM Saturday nights/Sunday mornings.  After finishing with the final Tara King they did indeed start the whole series over so this past week and a half have been the very early Peter King ones - and this Saturday at 3AM will be the very first Honor Blackman episode (Mr. Teddy Bear) followed by the very first Julie Stevens one (The Decapod).  

If it wasn't for ME-TV I wouldn't have a tv (well its possible) BUT

They are getting a LOT like TV land - they will cut into shows for commercials and they are starting to "back-load" commercials in a show.  What I mean by that is that they will show 5 to 7 min of a show and then ads ; but then closer to the end of the show they will do 2 to maybe 4 mins and then cut in for some old-person doo-dad pain relieving brace or some woman walking in a park next to a bandstand and she will tell you that she has rotten teeth.

TV LAND actually cuts shows for the almighty ad and THEY do squeeze credits for the show INSIDE the show itself ; that is Bull intestine refuse

Watch it ME tv

Edited by brickthru the tv

I'm more worried about MeTV being like TV Land and moving away from classic shows.  They've already gone outside their core era with shows like Saved by the Bell and Matlock.  Now they're replacing Quincy ME with Diagnosis Murder.  

• Love 1

I'm more worried about MeTV being like TV Land and moving away from classic shows.  They've already gone outside their core era with shows like Saved by the Bell and Matlock.  Now they're replacing Quincy ME with Diagnosis Murder.  

I get what you mean, but believe it or not, the newer shows being 20 to 30 years old themselves now (!) may constitute as "new" classics or whatever.

Diagnosis Murder began in '93, making it almost 23; Saved By The Bell, IIRC, began in the late '80s/early '90s, so it's even slightly older than that. Finally, Matlock is 30 (!) this year. So maybe it's about perspective.

Anyone have a recommendation for a digital antenna?

I have a Mohu Leaf that I tape up in a window facing the city where the signals originate. I added a longer cable so I can view the TV from different rooms (it's on a cart). Not glamourous, but it works for me, and I get stations cable doesn't.
  • Love 2

I don't remember which retro network is airing the Dick Cavett show, but I have to say it's a treat to watch. So much of the content is relevant today, and the conversations with disparate people, with depth, are interesting especially with the benefit of hindsight.

Jimmy Hoffa talking about prison reform...wow. Mohammed Ali and Joe Frazier talking about whether they'd encourage young boys to take up boxing because of potential brain damage, heartbreaking in light of what issues Ali has (and he said he would tell a 12 year old who wanted to box NOT to do it). 

• Love 5

I've been catching up on "The Odd Couple" again on Me TV. Even 40 years later, they're still funny.

I was just thinking today that shows like the Odd Couple and Bob Newhart, in addition to being hilarious, seem less dated today because they made very few specific topical references (I've read that Bob at least requested this from his writers, figuring on reruns in the future).  I don't always remember when a particular old show was filmed, so watching Night Court last night, for example, it took me a second to catch the political references; I imagine they might be totally lost on young people.  Barney Miller made such occasional references as well, but as a more realistic show it seems less noticeable to me.

I've been meaning to catch some of the Dick Cavett shows (he has said recently that he never saw some of them the first time around).  Strangely, I had trouble watching the time I tuned in Johnny Carson one night recently - though he was interviewing Mel Brooks on the release of Young Frankenstein!  But somehow I find it sad now to watch Johnny; I'm just too used to all the times I saw him when he was alive.  However, I imagine for younger people who never saw him at the time it would be entertaining.

• Love 2

I was just thinking today that shows like the Odd Couple and Bob Newhart, in addition to being hilarious, seem less dated today because they made very few specific topical references (I've read that Bob at least requested this from his writers, figuring on reruns in the future).

Then again, "The Odd Couple" had a lot of guest stars who were popular celebrities of the time, often playing themselves. Sometimes I don't know remember who they were or why they were famous.
  • Love 2

Then again, "The Odd Couple" had a lot of guest stars who were popular celebrities of the time, often playing themselves. Sometimes I don't know remember who they were or why they were famous.

I had a difficult time with this too.  Even though I love old movies and tv shows, sometimes there would be a huge burst of applause when an actor would make their entrance, and I'd have no clue who they were.  I'd recognize the name from the credits, but not from their appearance.  Victor Buono and Dina Merrill come to mind.  But even after googling Rodney Allen Rippy I'm still a little confused by why he was such a big deal.  I guess you had to be there, much like future generations will look at the guest appearances of people like the Kardashians and just kind of scratch their heads.

much like future generations will look at the guest appearances of people like the Kardashians and just kind of scratch their heads.

In my house, we do that today.

• Love 6

It's funny because I was just posting about this over in the TV tropes you hate thread.  Much as I loved The Odd Couple, they went to the well with celebrity guests so many times that I think the network must have pressured them to do it for the ratings.  I really dislike the whole celebrity as him/herself thing because it generally makes the scene so unnatural; though, to repeat my other post, the Odd Couple exception was the great Password show with Betty White and her then husband Allen Ludden.   I know a lot of people claim that as their favorite episode (I think Jack Klugman did) but mine will always be the hilarious Subway Show with Felix and Oscar trapped in a stalled subway car with a bunch of grumpy New Yorkers.  Unfortunately some of it always gets cut in reruns; I love producer Gary Marshall saying to Oscar, who says he hasn't been on a subway in years:  "Can't tell you how we've missed you!"

• Love 2

My favorite Odd Couple episode was when Felix and Oscar win a car then spend the rest of the episode trying to find a parking space for it. They go to a parking garage, no spots to rent, then started moving it on the street all the time to avoid being ticketed or towed. Although it was a chore they made it funny. I haven't seen the Odd Couple in a while but this is the one that stands out most for me.

• Love 1

It's funny because I was just posting about this over in the TV tropes you hate thread. Much as I loved The Odd Couple, they went to the well with celebrity guests so many times that I think the network must have pressured them to do it for the ratings. I really dislike the whole celebrity as him/herself thing because it generally makes the scene so unnatural; though, to repeat my other post, the Odd Couple exception was the great Password show with Betty White and her then husband Allen Ludden.

To be fair, Oscar was a sports columnist, so a lot of those celebrities were sports stars, and it's not inconceivable that knowing them would extend to getting to know other celebrities.

Petticoat Junction on MeTV has finally gotten back to the Kate episodes, but unfortunately it is Season 3 with Gunilla Hutton.  After finding out about that woman's affair with Nat King Cole I just do not care to see her.  She tried to get him to leave his wife and as he lay dying in the hospital, his wife made him call her to tell her it was over.  And all of this was right around when she was on PJ.  

mine will always be the hilarious Subway Show with Felix and Oscar trapped in a stalled subway car with a bunch of grumpy New Yorkers.  Unfortunately some of it always gets cut in reruns; I love producer Gary Marshall saying to Oscar, who says he hasn't been on a subway in years:  "Can't tell you how we've missed you!"

late to chime in that this is a huge favorite of mine as well.

• Love 1

Decades is doing a marathon of The Doris Day Show this weekend.  It's so disconcerting how they put the fuzzy lens on Doris and then switch back to a clear lens for everyone else.  So noticeable!  Wasn't around to see this the first time it aired. Since I'm also watching Tattletales on BZZR it's fun to see Jackie Joseph as something other than Ken Berry's wife in mumus.  She's so skinny!

Yesterday on Decades, one of the shows was a Celebrity Bowling episode.

It had a team of Dick Martin/ Bob Newhart versus the team of Anthony Newly/Nipsy Russell. Martin/Newhart were so go and Newly/Russell was so bad, but it was cool to watch. The plaid pants Bob Newhart wore put me in mind of peanut butter and jelly, as there were big patches of vibrant purple here and there.

• Love 2

Did anyone else catch the recent Diagnosis Murder "Living on the Streets Can be Murder" with guest star Bryan Cranston?

I thought to myself, DM is really much better than I thought. Alas, the next episode I happened to catch put me to sleep--hence, I guess, no board for the show.

Did anyone else catch the recent Diagnosis Murder "Living on the Streets Can be Murder" with guest star Bryan Cranston?

I thought to myself, DM is really much better than I thought. Alas, the next episode I happened to catch put me to sleep--hence, I guess, no board for the show.

It's on my queue. Yes, I DO dvr it, because I loved that show for the first two seasons. You know, when Scott Baio was on it. I don't like Charles Schlatter, and didn't watch as religiously when he joined, and all but stopped when they phased out T-Bird Sonny Briggs (Michael Tucci) and Delores.

• Love 1

Don't know if this goes here but:

I was happy when our area got Grit, what with them showing Laramie, the best ambiguously gay western ever.  And remastered, too!  Not the blurry as shit transfer that's on the official DVD releases.

Earlier this year, we had The Virginian and Wagon Train join the line up......and then they went away.  They went away and I am not happy.

I am not watching The Inspiration Network for my James Drury fix.  Yes I have some DVDs, but it was nice that the show was on Grit.  I don't know why but it was.  Maybe it was because there was a little variety to break up the Laramie monotony.

• Love 1

MeTV programming notice:  On Saturday, April 30 Svengoolie will be showing The Car from 1977 starring James Brolin.  Yes a driverless car mowing people down, what an appropriate choice with autonomous cars in the news.  The last time I saw this movie was 1977.  It was awful then, I can only imagine how cringeworthy it is now.  Make sure you have some nachos in the house if you plan on watching this cheesetastic movie.

• Love 4

Can't remember which channel, but the first Lone Ranger TV episode, from 1949, aired.
I never watch westerns, but did watch this one.  It ended abruptly, and I wonder if some of the film was just missing.

Note to James Garner fans:  GetTV is now showing his western, Nichols which aired for 24 episodes in 1971-72.  It was a very different western drama for the time period and featured characters who were neither completely good or evil.  James Garner's character, Nichols is blackmailed into becoming the sheriff of the small Arizona town of Nichols which was founded by his family.  He never carries a gun and tries to get everyone to get along with each other.  In the final episode, Nichols is gunned down in the first scene and his twin brother takes his place as a conventional gun-toting sheriff.  It is the final episode which has made the series something of a cult classic.

• Love 1

Tonight (May 21), Svengoolie will be showing Sssssss from 1973.  It stars Dirk Benedict and Strother Mother as a mad scientist who turns his lab assistant into a giant cobra.  Not nearly as much fun as one would hope.  Add pot brownies or other edibles if you want this movie to live up to its full potential.

• Love 1
On 4/28/2016 at 4:44 PM, Collinwood said:

It is the final episode which has made the series something of a cult classic.

James Garner alone made it a cult classic, and kind of a throwback to Western shows like Have Gun Will Travel that relied on non-violent problem solving.   I'm one of those who always hated the ending.  

Currently enjoying the sitcoms The Ghost and Mrs. Muir and Nanny and the Professor on GetTV.  They both hold up pretty well.  Although I'm now kind of "meh" on the Nanny and The Professor theme song.  I haven't seen those shows since I was in grade school back in the 70s.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

James Garner alone made it a cult classic, and kind of a throwback to Western shows like Have Gun Will Travel that relied on non-violent problem solving.   I'm one of those who always hated the ending.  

Yes, it really was Garner who made the show.  Supposedly, the last episode was written as a last ditch effort to get the show renewed.  Garner would have returned for Season 2 as the twin.  I'm grateful that never happened.  Even James Garner could only do so much with material like that.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm bummed I have Charter Cable and on June 1st Cozi will be going to all religious programs. Is this happening for anyone else?

It might be that your local Cozi affiliate is giving up their affiliate status. I get some Cozi programming through U-verse on a religious channel called  FETV (the former World Harvest TV). I saw speculation on Cozi's Facebook page that the Baywatch marathon probably wouldn't air on FETV which I find ironic since they air Miami Vice.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2016 at 3:00 PM, Jaded said:

It might be that your local Cozi affiliate is giving up their affiliate status. I get some Cozi programming through U-verse on a religious channel called  FETV (the former World Harvest TV). I saw speculation on Cozi's Facebook page that the Baywatch marathon probably wouldn't air on FETV which I find ironic since they air Miami Vice.

It's still the same lineup as before for us, we're with Comcast in the south Chicago 'burbs. Miami Vice is on now and Babewatch is listed for 11PM. It must be an affiliate decision.

3 minutes ago, Hyacinth B said:

It's still the same lineup as before for us, we're with Comcast in the south Chicago 'burbs. Miami Vice is on now and Babewatch is listed for 11PM. It must be an affiliate decision.

Looks like it is. No sign of Baywatch on FETV. It wasn't really something I was really wanting to see again anyway. I guess Miami Vice is ok to them since there's not as much skin being shown even though the story lines are a lot heavier and gritty than most of what was shown on Baywatch through the years.

• Love 1

Attention Perry Mason fans.  MeTV is coming to the end of the series run on the evening of Thursday, July 7 with the final episode, The Case of the Final Fade-Out.  On Friday evening they are starting over with the first episode, The Case of the Restless Redhead.  There are no guarantees of course that we'll get another full run (nine seasons), but since MeTV shows Perry twice a day, the show must be pretty popular.

• Love 1