Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

Where in the world did MeTV dig up the Doris Day Show?

The Doris Day Show has to be one of the goofiest shows ever, format wise.  It started out with Doris as a widowed single mom of two boys, living on a farm with her father. Lots of barnyard humor on a farm that didn't seem to do any actual farmwork. Season Two had her taking a job in San Francisco as a secretary to a magazine editor and commuting to the farm. The farm and family took a back seat to Doris' work life. Season Three had her moving to San Francisco with her sons and living in a swanky apartment over an Italian restaurant.  Season Four and Five have Doris suddenly single (not a widow) and  no longer a secretary but a writer for the magazine (which now has a new boss and new best friend for Doris), and the same apartment is now no longer over a restaurant.  Oh, and her sons disappear without a trace.  

The story behind the show is actually more interesting than the plot.  Doris Day was married to a man named Martin Melcher, who worked as her manager and got credit on most of her movies as a producer.  She never wanted to do television, but after Melcher died, Day learned he had signed her up for this show without her knowledge or consent.  A lot of the plot changes were due to her and her son Terry's attempts to make it more reflective of her image as a career woman, like in Pillow Talk.  Oh, and to get away from CBS' newfound hatred of rural/family shows.

I kind of enjoy the show.  It isn't great television but it is worth a look.

• Love 1

After reading the Wikipedia entry on the show, I realize why I don't remember it. It debuted on Sept. 21, 1968. I was starting my freshman year of college, so not much TV watching going on for me. No TVs in the dorm room, nor time. I'm sure they aired it yesterday because it was Doris Day's birthday (so said the Annapolis Capital Gazette).

Edited by chessiegal

Attention Fembot fans! They're back. The nemesis of Jaime Summers--The Bionic Woman will be on December 2nd and 9th on Cozi TV in their final appearance in the 2 part episode Fembots in Las Vegas.

Edited by Collinwood

Here is a query for all of you.  Last night Antenna had an episode of (80's Vermont)  Newhart in which George is desperate to create a nickname for himself because, he says, "the Beavers are starting a facebook - you know a facebook where we have our pictures with our names underneath."   ??????????  I never encountered this word before the current internet Facebook but clearly the show expected the audience to know what was meant.. So what did it mean in the 80's?

Edited by ratgirlagogo

"The Beavers are starting a facebook—you know, a facebook where we have our pictures with our names."

What did it mean in the 80's?

When I was a college freshman, we all received a facebook with photos & contact information for the entire class. (It looked like a thin yearbook.) That's where the website took its name, and way back when I joined it was only for those with a .edu address.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 5

Here is a query for all of you.  Last night Antenna had an episode of (80's Vermont)  Newhart in which George is desperate to create a nickname for himself because, he says, "the Beavers are starting a facebook - you know a facebook where we have our pictures with our names underneath."   ??????????  I never encountered this word before the current internet Facebook but clearly the show expected the audience to know what was meant.. So what did it mean in the 80's?

I just checked the OED (Oxford English Dictionary) Online, and Facebook is not yet an included word, which surprises me, and might indicate that it will not ever be, because it seems that it would have already been added if they were going to to do so. Still, if they ever do, I hope your post, ratgirlagogo, leads them to this early published use of the word.
  • Love 1

Just the Christmas episode.  They've been airing several shows they don't have on the schedule (MacGyver, Father Dowling, etc)

Boo! But, tonight's episode was the Christmas episode, but there is another episode next week. But that's it. Sucks, because I have SO missed Robert Urich on my small screen!

Is the A-Team replacing The Avengers on Cozi in January?  God how I hope not.  But I can't tell, since they don't have their January schedule on the website.  Plus they keep running the A-Team ads in the 1 AM slot, and we're already well into the Tara King Avengers episodes.  I hope hope hope they keep the show on at the perfect time of 1 AM -   The Avengers is a show they could just keep starting over with.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 1

And closing credits.  Very annoying.

HUGE pet peeve of mine, throughout the entire tv universe.

And shrinking them into a fraction of viewable area only to surround them with bombastic ads does not count as "showing the credits".

Not only is it rude to, imho, diminish all who made the movie/show as inconsequential but often I need to know, Was that who I thought it was?

• Love 10

WAHOO!!!! I just discovered that I finally have the Heroes & Icons channel!

Hunter! Hill Street Blues! The Commish!

But I've got a beef: why no Cagney & Lacey??? Those two are definitely ICONS AND HEROES!

I fully expect a channel for female cops soon!

And how's this for a cute commercial? It may have been around for awhile, but I haven't watched Cozi for a bit, and may have missed it.

There's this commercial where a guy is holding a meeting telling everyone sitting to make sure they have their Cozi cards. We just see the back of their heads. And then, he says not to try to open the door with your hand and break it...again...and the camera zooms in on a blonde and then around to her face and it's Lindsey Wagner Jamie Somers!!! I thought it was cute. Wonder where Lee Majors Steve Austen was?

Mama's Family is coming to MeTV in January. I wonder what it's replacing......

CHiPs, I think.

Oh, wait. It looks like CHiPs is an hour earlier. I think MeTV is running two episodes of Emergency!, so maybe they drop to one?

I wish they'd move Perry Mason down an hour.

Edited by ennui

goes down to one episode and CHiPs moves back an hour to 5 ET   Mama's Family takes over the 6 ET slot (not a fan).  Patty Duke is being added at 6 am and the Brady Bunch is going daily at 7 am.  Andy Griffith is back to daily at 8 (replacing Gilligan's Island) which means Mayberry RFD for some of us.

• Love 1

Not sure when this happened but MeTV has added some classic sitcoms to their late Sunday night schedule - including The Odd Couple, Bob Newhart, even (if you want to DVR it at 2 AM) Get Smart.

Oddly fitting to DVR in 2015 (or 2016) a man talking into his shoe phone in the '60s.
  • Love 3

Sorry if this is a little OT, but New Year's eve and day are always big for special holiday marathons and The Odd Couple is being marathon-ed from now until about 5 PM eastern on Channel 55 WLNY in the New York area.  What a classic show, we were so lucky to have Tony Randall and Jack Klugman starring in it for five years.

• Love 2

WAHOO!!!! I just discovered that I finally have the Heroes & Icons channel!

Hunter! Hill Street Blues! The Commish!

But I've got a beef: why no Cagney & Lacey??? Those two are definitely ICONS AND HEROES!

You must have U-verse too. Ha!

I've been enjoying all 3 shows you mentioned. I keep meaning to watch 21 Jump Street too but with the time it's on I keep forgetting to watch or just DVR a couple episodes to see if I really want to watch it or just think I do. 

• Love 1

You must have U-verse too. Ha!

I've been enjoying all 3 shows you mentioned. I keep meaning to watch 21 Jump Street too but with the time it's on I keep forgetting to watch or just DVR a couple episodes to see if I really want to watch it or just think I do.

30 miles north of Chicago I get these stations with just a Mohu Leaf antenna and no cable bill.

No lie. I have fallen in love with Captain Furillo again! He's like, the best. And I've missed seeing Daniel Travanti on my screen. So what did I do? As much as it gutted me, I went and searched for Adam and the sequel. Travanti was just nothing short of amazing as John Walsh.

• Love 4

I have really been enjoying the old Tonight Show With Johnny Carson on Antenna TV.  I've seen eps as old as the 70s and I have only seen a few so far and a couple from the 80s.  I don't know how far back they'll go.

I watched Saturday's which was from January 1, 1975 and it was a bit surreal to watch. Johnny and Ed were talking about a bit they did a few years before about doing the Tonight Show in 2000, "25 years from now". Too bad they didn't show that clip.

I suspect we're only going to see the Burbank episodes (70s and on) as the earlier episodes were sadly lost due to NBC taping over the shows (or something to that effect).

• Love 2

Yes, I can remember some of the shows when Johnny was in New York and I think the atmosphere was a little more edgy then.  But as indicated, I think a lot of shows of that type were erased in those pre-VCR, pre-DVR days.  I read that one year an entire year's worth of Tonight shows was junked and Carson fired the person who did it.

Edited by roseha
  • Love 2

Probably the only way we'd see anything from the NY shows is if Antenna TV airs any of the anniversary episodes. I don't remember anything other than that clip with Ed Ames throwing the tomahawk only because it's been shown so many times. There might be some other clips from NY though.

I doubt some former NBC employee has a lost tape sitting in their attic or basement waiting to be discovered.

Actually, if you can make it to the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC you should be able to see a few black and white New York shows, I remember that I watched a very early one with Soupy Sales right filmed after his classic show in New York (another that was sadly almost all erased) had ended, and I had never seen Johnny and company looking so young.  I seem to remember that Skitch Henderson was the bandleader then, and they played about 15 minutes before Johnny entered.  Apparently this was normal at the time for some reason.

I think someone posted a very early New York Carson show on Youtube also, though I'm not sure it's still there.

• Love 1

Good idea! I've been wanting to go into NYC to do/see a bunch of things ... It's just motivating myself to go one weekend for the day.

I think back when the Tonight Show first started the news preceding it was only 15 minutes, followed by Skitch Henderson warming up the audience before Johnny came out. I'm not sure where I learned this as I'm not old enough to have watched it first hand.

Actually I just checked the museum's website (they're now called the Paley Center) and it appears they still let you view the programs, I last went I think around 2007 perhaps and I think there was talk about them putting it all online (that would be a big job!) but it looks like you can still watch on their little TVs, which is fun as you also get to see the old commercials.  By the way, by looking at some early to mid 60s show (The Fugitive was another one) I also got the impression that "funny" commercials such as "Ajax - Stronger than Dirt!"  began around that time, before that the ads looked pretty serious.  Sorry, if that's a little OT :)

• Love 2

We've been enjoying ME TV's tribute to Wayne Rogers on MASH this week. I'm also amused at how much my husband is enjoying Mamas House since it started this month. It's okay - I don't think either of us watched it during it's original run.

• Love 1

WAHOOO!!!!!

Was scrolling and found THiS channel, although the i is really supposed to be three vertical bars.  Anywaaayzzz, last night, it premiered Cagney & Lacey! Starting with the pilot, starring Tyne Daly (naturally) and Loretta Swit as Christine Cagney. And the first six episodes with Meg Foster as Christine, before Sharon Gless took over; her first episode will air in two weeks!

Watching "The Odd Couple" on MeTV, and the episode with Jaye P. Morgan was on -- where Felix writes "Happy and Peppy and Bursting With Love." Did some reading about her to discover that she was more than just a judge on the "Gong Show" -- she was actually a well-known singer and apparently has been married to the same man for over 60 years.

• Love 3