Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

http://insp.com/

Just wanted to share this link with INSP TV which a network available on DirectTV, cable, and Verizon because it has so many older shows such as Dr. Quinn, Jag, and High Chaparral.  INSP lists The Virginian as their network exclusive.

Also The Esquire network is showing Simon and Simon and MacGyver if anyone is interested.

Of course, we're interested. That's why we're here. :)

I love High Chaparral, but INSP keeps reducing the times it's on. It used to be on three times on Saddle Up Saturdays.

I won't be watching Dark Shadows; there's a Mad Men marathon starting on Wednesday.

Well, if you love JAG, you can also see it on POP, formerly the tvguide channel, which doesn't cut out as much as INSP would or bleep out any words, which would take you out of the show. It's so very confuzzling why INSP would pick up a show like JAG. It wasn't a squeaky clean show.

• Love 1
(edited)

We have another new over-the-air station: LAFF

Yep! We even have a thread dedicated to it here in Network Talk. :)

I found a list of what shows Decades is planning on airing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_programs_broadcast_by_Decades  It's Wikipedia, so mostly reliable.

I love that all the TV Star Treks and the 80s iteration of Mission:Impossible are available to be aired on the channel!  For those who loved the Dark Shadows binge, the 80's version is also on this list!  Lots of old friends and some newer additions. I'm excited!

eta:

Just found this, but it may help a little in figuring out the daily format-- http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/05/22/new-decades-channel-launches-on-memorial-day/

An excerpt: "DECADES will feature a unique “daily time capsule” lineup exploring different years, trends or events. Programming will include a one-hour original series as well as popular TV shows and films chosen to immerse viewers in that day’s DECADES context. Programmed as a six-hour block, the schedule will be repeated four times each weekday, giving viewers in all time zones multiple opportunities to tune in."

(italics mine)

As per the item, the weekend will be binges.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2
(edited)

I found a list of what shows Decades is planning on airing: http://en.wikipedia....cast_by_Decades It's Wikipedia, so mostly reliable.

The Invaders is on that list and I am one happy camper.  Love, love, love that show.  Roy Thinnes is the star of this 60's scifi show made by Quinn Martin Productions.  QM is the same company that made Mannix, Barnaby Jones and other crime dramas.  QM used exactly the same private eye/mystery formula for The Invaders and the results are unique.  Definitely worth a look.

Nice to see the original Dark Shadows also on the list.  I will watch that show anywhere, anytime even though I own the entire series.

Edited by Collinwood

So MeTV has already pulled Star Trek from the daily schedule. Starting Monday they'll air a double dose of Emergency! CHiPs is also "taking the summer off" in favor of Gilligan's Island as part of The Summer of Me.

So MeTV has already pulled Star Trek from the daily schedule. Starting Monday they'll air a double dose of Emergency! CHiPs is also "taking the summer off" in favor of Gilligan's Island as part of The Summer of Me.

I miss CHiPs already. Do we really need another repeat of Gilligan's Island? Isn't it running on, like, five different channels?

I did a happy SQUEE! When I saw that Cozi was airing a Quantum Leap marathon yesterday. I'm bummed that they only aired part one of the pilot; I forgot the second half, and only remember that Sam got his "wife" drunk because she went into labor or to stop her premature labor. 

Anyhoo, so glad it's on their schedule and I've set up my dvr for recording. "Oh boy" was Bakula adorable. He's really sexy now, but he was...adorable with the shaggy hair.

• Love 2

I did a happy SQUEE! When I saw that Cozi was airing a Quantum Leap marathon yesterday. I'm bummed that they only aired part one of the pilot; I forgot the second half, and only remember that Sam got his "wife" drunk because she went into labor or to stop her premature labor. 

Anyhoo, so glad it's on their schedule and I've set up my dvr for recording. "Oh boy" was Bakula adorable. He's really sexy now, but he was...adorable with the shaggy hair.

Scott Bakula was one of my "tv boyfriends" when I was a teenager.

REgarding the "Summer of Me".......I have to find some other station to watch because Saved By the Bell, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirly, and The Brady Bunch don't make the top 100 of my fav tv show list.

• Love 1

I'd love to see Lou Grant, and did I read somewhere that One Day at a Time is in the offing?

I liked it at the time, but not sure if I'd watch it again.
The Donna Reed Show  could easily go from the schedule.

Donna reed is only on in markets that can't show The Andy Griffith Show.

Though I said I wouldn't, I've been watching One Day at a Time off and on.  Maybe I'm just hitting the wrong episodes, but Julie isn't near as bad as I remember.  

It's only been a couple of days, but I am enjoying the Through the Decades show on Decades.

Bill Kurtis' voice is cozy and familiar, but the two female co-presenters are also growing on me. 

The show in particular looks at history, pop as well as political and sciences, that happened on a particular day. Like today ( 5/27): Louis Zamperelli was shot down in WWII, Christopher Reeve was thrown from his horse, Vincent Price was born for a very shallow dip.  . There is also a theme used in looking at the bigger chunks of information/history. Today's was Facing Fear. There is a brief graphic recounting music. Notable births and deaths are also given a little bit of time.

I believe it was today's episode that also named Lisa Lopez ( of TLC)'s birthday.  So they aren't just looking to be CBS's edgier same ol' same ol'. I think the channel really wants to reach out and to also be employed to help educate.  Alexander Solzhenitsyn returned to his homeland on this date. The segment on him got me curious about his writing, as heavy as the going sounds.

The movie and TV theme was 1969 for today. It played a movie with RDJ and Keifer Sutherland, called 1969, and episodes of shows from that year to show what television considered escapist fare then. ( Daniel Boone, Family Affair, The Doris Day Show, for example.)

I think, if the channel can hold onto this format for a while, that it will be worth CBS doing this no matter the financial bottom line. 

Donna reed is only on in markets that can't show The Andy Griffith Show.

"Can't"? How could Andy Griffith offend anyone?

It's only been a couple of days, but I am enjoying the Through the Decades show on Decades...

The movie and TV theme was 1969 for today. It played a movie with RDJ and Keifer Sutherland, called 1969, and episodes of shows from that year to show what television considered escapist fare then. ( Daniel Boone, Family Affair, The Doris Day Show, for example.)

I'm guessing even if CBS (instead of NBC) was affiliated with the SyFy channel, they would think Stargate SG1 isn't good enough and/or main stream enough for their target audience and so likely the most excellent SG1 episode "1969" wouldn't have been aired. Too bad. I think anyone nostalgic for 1969 would love it.

I'm sure this won't be the only example of when being restricted to CBS fare only will cramp their style.

Though I said I wouldn't, I've been watching One Day at a Time off and on.  Maybe I'm just hitting the wrong episodes, but Julie isn't near as bad as I remember.

I actually tried to start a One Day at a Time forum around here last week, but it hasn't been added. I don't know if it takes awhile, or if I didn't do the process correctly.

It's only been a couple of days, but I am enjoying the Through the Decades show on Decades.

Well, that sort of explains things. But, honestly, Family Affair?

"Can't"? How could Andy Griffith offend anyone?

I guess you haven't seen the unedited version of A Pickle Story.

It's actually an issue of broadcast rights.  The show is licensed to stations other than MeTV.  Some of those agreements prevent the rights holder from licensing to anyone else in their market. 

I actually tried to start a One Day at a Time forum around here last week, but it hasn't been added. I don't know if it takes awhile, or if I didn't do the process correctly.

It still shows as pending.  I think think can take few days for the mods to setup.

• Love 2
(edited)

It still shows as pending. I think think can take few days for the mods to setup.

I'm realistic and don't think it would receive much traffic, but for one, and one reason only, it's my all time favorite. So I'm trying to get it represented. Edited by GaryE
  • Love 1

I guess you haven't seen the unedited version of A Pickle Story.

Okay, my curiosity is peaked. Please explain (here or in the Andy Griffith forum).

(edited)

It's up,and I'm not above begging. Someone please go post something there to kill the zero replies.

Edited by GaryE
(edited)

I've only just located the official webpage for Decades here:  http://www.decades.com/#tunein-section and nowhere can I find any listings for programming beyond the current day.  and really, after all this buildup I would at least expect some kind of consistency in the programming.  Today, for instance they are showing the film of Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant, and a report on Agent Orange use in Vietnam with...half a dozen episodes of the Mary Tyler Moore Show?  Huh?

Maybe when I get a chance to see some of this I will like it better, but my love of 60s culture doesn't extend to the Beverly Hillbilllies or Hogan's Heroes...I hope the "Binge" on weekends will be good, I just wish I could find listings for it.

Edited by roseha

I'm enjoying Decades but I thought the programming past the Through the Decades segment would be closer to the TV programming shown during the time they're presenting - no movies. I like that they repeat the block through the day so we don't miss a program.

I miss the binges this week (got hooked on a few of them especially The Fugitive) and look forward to the weekend binges.

Hello roseha. If you click on the calendar icon next to the date you can check out other days schedules.

Wow, thanks Collinwood.  You have sharp eyes, I finally found that tiny icon after scrolling down four webpages' worth.  CBS has got to redesign that website.  Anyway will look out for the future days - I missed The Fugitive this tiime around but hope to see it again soon. 

I'm realistic and don't think it would receive much traffic, but for one, and one reason only, it's my all time favorite. So I'm trying to get it represented.

As the Terget Lady says: "Approved!"

• Love 1

What's your favorite old school network? Granted, it's going to change as shows come and go, but as of today, are you Team MeTv, AntennaTv, Cozi, Decades, Laff, or something I'm not thinking of? [First vote-AntennaTV].

• Love 1

Had to vote for MeTV as they're destination and background noise. Decades, though, is gaining; then again, it's the new, shiny toy. Antenna TV would be my third.

I'm enjoying Decades but I thought the programming past the Through the Decades segment would be closer to the TV programming shown during the time they're presenting - no movies.

From the start, the articles describing the channel's material have included that movies were going to be aired along with TV.   As to the shows being aired on a given day, they will either go with the day's theme, set out in the Through the Decades episode, or will be from the day/year that is highlighted, as on May 27th. That was when the episodes were showing what folks were watching in the specific year 1969, as escapist TV.  This is an excerpt from a link:

Each story will present events using historic CBS News footage and reporting from the era, along with a modern look back to provide context.

Building on the Memorial Day theme, the day will also feature the theatrical anti-war movie “Hair” alongside the comedic TV series “Hogan’s Heroes” and the dramatic war series “The Rat Patrol”, letting viewers experience contrasting depictions of combat and patriotism in entertainment. Presenting the Holiday weekend blockbuster phenomena, we feature a profile of director George Lucas, who premiered “Star Wars” on Memorial Day 1977.

DECADES will feature the original one-hour weekday program “Through the Decades” presenting historical CBS News and “Entertainment Tonight” footage, along with other archival elements. Emmy and Peabody Award-winning journalist Bill Kurtis hosts “Through the Decades”, which unlocks our shared history. Viewers will explore the decades of the 1950s through the 1990s, where they can relive, remember and relate each day.

I hope this helps. The block of MTM earlier in the week was tied to the show being nominated for Emmys and being a then-current look at single women in the world and the workplace.  Between episodes, or during ad breaks, Bill Kurtis has interstitials that explain why a show or a group of shows or the movie is being shown/ it's tie to the day's theme.  I don't always catch 'em because I'm about done with the same five ads that seem to run on every over-the-air station.

• Love 1

Whoever made the poll left RetroTV off the list.

A thousand pardons. I don't know all the channels, I was hoping "other" would cover what I missed.

Meanwhile, I do wonder if anyone will vote for the Jawa Channel!

(edited)

I have to give credit to Cozi.  They are the only basic cable station so far, that does not *bleep* or silence out the N-word when airing the Quantum Leap episodes that are set in the '50s, '60's and '70s. It doesn't matter if Sam had leaped into an African American man or woman.  Sundance, which is a premium cable, that airs R-rated movies and doesn't bleep out "fuck", goes bleep crazy whenever there was an N-word in the various Law & Order episodes, along with "dyke", "crapper" (??!!!), "ass", and some other innocuous word.

And I'm posting this here, because No one, I mean NO ONE has posted in the show's thread for over a year.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

My vote is

1. MeTV

2. Antennae

3. Cosi

4. REtro (the tv in our guest room can pick it up on clear days. But the only shows worth watching, imo are Dr. Who and One Step Beyond.)

Roseha, there are some episodes of The Fugitive posted on youtube.

Thanks Cobb Salad, I said this back on TWOP (I think), but The Fugitive, in addition to being a great noir, gloomy series, made tremendous use of the episodic nature of television, and it had a lot of really great episodes.  I do regret ABC switched it over to color at the end (almost inevitable at the time); it was a great show for the black and white look.

• Love 2

roseha, unlike you I love the The Bev Hillbillies! Was it silly? Yes. But it was just straight up comedy. And really, a binge of TBH is worth it just to be able to see Granny fight with a Kangaroo that she thinks is a giant jack rabbit. I saw it recently and could not stop crying. I love silly, basic stuff like that. It would never work today.  America just wanted to laugh and be entertained while in the midst of the upheaval of that decade.

BTW I also love The Munsters.

I'd love to see these stations air the original Odd Couple. Probably my most favorite sitcom.

• Love 1

I'd love to see these stations air the original Odd Couple. Probably my most favorite sitcom.

They do! It's either MeTV or Cozi--those are the only two I watch, and I know I saw the original Odd Couple on one of them.

Yes, MeTV was running The Odd Couple on Friday nights...until very recently I think, I imagine they will bring it back soon.  They had a very cute mashup ad for awhile cleverly remaking the Odd Couple opening and music with Kirk and Spock of Star Trek!  However it would make me sad now that Leonard Nimoy has passed away.

Prican, I understand what you're saying re The Beverly Hillbillies, though what I'd like to see are some more showings of Green Acres...maybe it was the late 1960s surrealism influence, but Green Acres was one hilariously weird sitcom!

• Love 1

Prican, I understand what you're saying re The Beverly Hillbillies, though what I'd like to see are some more showings of Green Acres...maybe it was the late 1960s surrealism influence, but Green Acres was one hilariously weird sitcom!

I love the 60s comedies (except The Monkees--I don't understand that show at all).  Those comedies are truly junk food comedies. Nothing to analyze. Nothing to give you pause for thought. Just funny.

I think the change from comedy to comedy with a message was All In The Family. After that comedies changed in the way that they made you laugh, then made you ashamed for laughing.

• Love 1

I didn't used to like Green Acres back in the day but now I so see the  nutty humor in it. I always did think it was odd that Oliver was the gung ho one to live the country life and Lisa was reluctant but she turned out to fit in easily while Oliver was always in confused awe about the locals behavior. Loved Mr Ziffle, Mr Haney and Eb. 

The Monkees? Milz, i remember loving it as a kid when it first aired and my love has never diminished. A zany Marx Bros quality and some of my favorite pop tunes. I have a soft spot for Davy and Mickey.

All in The Family was such a ground breaker. I remember reading about it before it aired and all the controversy and although I was 12 going on 13 I remember thinking that I wanted to watch it. I was always a sort of quiet introspective kid and was always reading things and was aware of the culture around me. I liked it right away. Still holds up and totally love the Sammy episode. If anyone remembers, Archie's friend Stretch Cunningham was played by James Cromwell of "Babe" fame and so many other roles.

A little personal connection for me was the actor who played "Little Emmanuel" the limpng Puerto Rican co worker (I think) of Archie's. He was played by Rafael Campos who was my Dominican dad's second cousin.  But I digress.

I have the first 2 seasons of the Odd Couple on DVD but I love when it pops up on tv. One of the local channels plays a marathon on New Years Eve so it's a battle for my attention with The Honeymooners and Twilight Zone. Pleasant dilemma.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't used to like Green Acres back in the day but now I so see the  nutty humor in it. I always did think it was odd that Oliver was the gung ho one to live the country life and Lisa was reluctant but she turned out to fit in easily while Oliver was always in confused awe about the locals behavior. Loved Mr Ziffle, Mr Haney and Eb. 

Someone pointed this out to me years ago, but in Green Acres, Oliver is more "sane" than the rest of the valley. But if you watch Petticoat Junction when he and Lisa are on it, he is the one who is wacky.

There was a bit of social commentary in Green Acres disguised as humor. I don't want to offend anyone but Arnold is the Ziffel's adopted child of another ethnicity/race. I guess in the 60s this was the closest you could get to a tv family adopting a child from a different ethnicity/race. He's akin to Willis and Arnold in Diff'rent Strokes or Lily in Modern Family. This is especially apparent in the episode, Arnold Ziffel, Boy Hero, when Fred brings Arnold to the bank to open a savings account. The banker says that Fred can't open an account for a pig. Arnold starts squealing. Then Fred says something like don't get upset the world is full of prejudice.  Then there's Ralph Monroe: she self-identifies as a woman, but the people in the valley treat her like a man due to her name, her clothing and occupation.

Edited by Milz
  • Love 3