Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

I was thinking it might be easier to have these three channels/networks together due to their overlap in programs, but if they need to be broken down into their individual selves, I understand. Posters can also compare/contrast the three since they have different "feels" to them.

I personally like MeTV a bit more than Cozi or Antenna due to the mix of older shows. The Sunday Night Noir I love, except that some of the shows come on too late and I don't have a dvr device. (Mr. Lucky is not a show you should have to see at 2AM on Monday morning!) Granted, Antenna has the great Gary Owens as network announcer (woo hoo!), but it has a handful of shows I like, compared to MeTV: Gidget, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny, Barney Miller, It Takes A Thief, and WKRP in Cincinnati.

Cozi TV has clever ads and some reality/lifestyle stuff, like Talk Stoop, that's cool. I might stop down for some McMillan and Wife or the odd Banacek. I like I Spy, but don't always watch since it's usually on opposite news or a late night show I'm interested in as well.

Which isn't to say I dislike Cozi or Antenna TV; I think they're great. I just tend to enjoy MeTV more.

I'm enjoying The Mod Squad being back to back with The Rockford Files, and having the option of checking out a Welcome Back, Kotter episode in the face of broadcast reruns, series I'm not interested in, or the need for some comfortable background noise.  The SciFi Saturday Nights rock with the line-up of Batman, Wonder Woman, Star Trek (TOS), Svengoolie (a hoot!), and Lost In Space. I miss Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea and it's brand of 60s goofy (especially as it was set in the future- the 1970s!), but it may return in the fall.

Like when I was a kid and there were only the Big 3 Networks, I can tell time by what show is on the channel. ( I need more of a life, I know this.) Even the shows I don't normally watch.  ("Oh, Love Boat is on...okay, it's only one more big reveal and the goodbyes until Mod Squad!")

• Love 3

Okay, Cozi found an Adam Scott/Amy Poehler re-do of the Hart To Hart opening credit sequence! As a loving spoof, it was great.  The site has it up to go with the return of Hart To Hart on July 6th, with a fourhour marathon, if anyone's interested.

Ack! I loathe The Rifleman!

Hubby watched it over & over. Though I do get a kick out of seeing future stars.

One thing I have noticed watching these stations is how much Richard Anderson shows up! (Oscar Goldman from Six Million Dollar Man.)

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh I just love METV.   I have it on my cable but I can't wait till they start broadcasting in New York City as well, just to have another option.  If they only had Perry Mason, that would probably be enough, I love watching the Perry-Della-Paul-Tragg scenes and the retro details.  But as people are saying here they have so many other great shows, everything from The Fugitive and Star Trek to the Odd Couple and my recent discovery (on very late) the brilliant self-satrizing early 60s sitcom Dobie Gillis.

I have to share this brilliant METV Kirk/Spock - Odd Couple Mashup which completely duplicates the look (typeface, split screen) of the Odd Couple opening credits:  Hope this link works:

http://metvnetwork.com/videos/metv-promos/star-trek-the-odd-couple-remix

Edited by roseha
  • Love 1

The episodes of The Fugitive are the edited syndication versions but I still love to watch them.  MeTV has saved me quite a lot of money that I would have spent buying the DVDs for both The Fugitive and Peter Gunn

• Love 1

I believe that Rockford is part of the Catch Me If You Can block of shows on Sunday, let me check...yes!  6pm/5pmCentral on Sunday, at least next Sunday.  

I was saddened at the news of Mr. Garner dying and was glad we had so much to go back and watch with him- movies as well as his television work.    

I was initially coming to post about seeing a teaser ad for CHiPs! I saw it during Emergency!, so I hope it is not replacing Emergency!, but taking over a primetime spot. I am selfish enough not to want to break-up my Adam-12/Emergency! groove. *g* (Sadly, I can see it either taking over either of the Mark VII shows. Adam-12 has a half hour during the week's late night and TPTB may feel a need to cycle John and Roy out so we don't get tired of them. *sigh*)

Just "discovered" MeTV a few weeks ago. I've particularly enjoyed getting an occasional fix of Night Gallery after not seeing it for years and years. Half horror, half unintentional comedy. As a bonus, tonight's episode had a brief appearance by Mark Hamill in a bit part.

• Love 1

I've got all three, and I also, love MeTV the best. In addition to having my Perry Mason, it's got a better variety of shows, as stated above, plus Remington Steele, Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, which take me back to my wee years. Now if only they'd add Baretta I'd be in heaven!

Eeek! Hart to Hart marathon? And I missed it! Noooooo!!!! Please tell me that episodes are airing? Must check out.

• Love 1
(edited)

I just discovered MeTV also... and watching Star Trek Season 3 episodes once a week on Saturday nights (as God intended), really rams it home how godawful that last season was.  I'm not sure people really appreciate that fact when they grow up watching TOS in strip syndication with the episodes all mixed up.  Let's face it, Season 3 TOS wasn't WORTH saving.

My mother watches their Remington Steele religiously... and after all this time, I realize the real star of the show was Stephanie Zimbalist (even if she was a low-rent Blair Brown) and I just find Pierce Brosnan too comical and mannered and TENSE.

Edited by Jipijapa

I'm going to start getting MeTV next week, I can't wait. Looking forward to seeing some shows I haven't watched in years. I'm really looking forward to watching Batman.

While I agree Star Trek season 3 was bad there are some (laughable) gems there like Spock's Brain and Turnabout Intruder. Compared to the movie Star Trek 5 I'd watch all of season 3 anytime.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have been noticing that there are "Coming Soon"  and "Returning Soon" trailers on MeTV and I find myself very excited: CHiPS, Cheers, Mission:Impossible, and The Adventures of Superman!

Then I get a bit apprehensive: it's going to be cycling in the "new" stuff as the new fall season starts up too. *sigh* Choices....

Edited by Actionmage
(edited)

I have been noticing that there are "Coming Soon"  and "Returning Soon" trailers on MeTV and I find myself very excited: CHiPS, Cheers, Mission:Impossible, and The Adventures of Superman!

Then I get a bit apprehensive: it's going to be cycling in the "new" stuff as the new fall season starts up too. *sigh* Choices....

Excited about Mission: Impossible, but don't understand them showing Cheers, wasn't that an 80s show?  Not so retro, I hope they don't keep going down that road into the 1990s.

Regardless, I can't wait for the ME-TV New York City broadcast from Times Square which should start any day now.  As it is, I sometimes lose ME-TV over Time Warner cable because I have to use a "Tuning Adapter" machine for it to be received over my Tivo/Cable Card (it's a "switched" channel) and I lost several shows I wanted to record over the last few days when said Adapter went on the blink.  Humph.  I  hope ME-TV is on Channel 3 tomorrow!

Edited by roseha
(edited)

Thanks for the link Jipijapa. So channels like MeTV, COZI and Antenna TV are the result of broadcast TV going from analog to digital (more channels). I like it since there's plenty of old shows and movies that I've only heard of, never heard of or never saw. No one is making the author of the article watch this stuff.

Green Acres is not an empty headed show either.

2 more days until we get MeTV in central NJ!

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 1

What?  Did someone diss Green Acres?  That show was absolutely brilliant!  It was the height of comic absurdity; every time Eva Gabor would mispronounce a word or come up with some weird idea, everyone in the town would repeat it to Oliver as if it was nothing! And this was even before the regular appearances of Arnold the pig!  That show was truly surreal, it puts most later TV sitcoms to shame.  In fact I just watched two episodes the other night and it didn't disappoint.

Oh and by the way, Eddie and Eva singing and acting out the theme song was the best sitcom intro ever. 

• Love 1

I Love Lucy also got dissed and one commenter posted that Lucy was manipulative and sneaky and withheld sex from Ricky, which made my jaw drop and go WTF? Not sure if he was being sarcastic or agreeing with the author of the article. Because there were a few who did agree with him.

• Love 1
(edited)

"that was a safe whine"

Really? That's how you want to start your argument that retro programming isn't good/needed/whatever? Being rude and using a dismissive tone in paragraph two of your essay? Keep it classy!

"The problem with the ready availability of this old stuff — don’t even get me started on Internet streaming — is that it forces us into a wistful but abstract longing for what was."

It's a problem, ya'll.  Shows he doesn't even like on channels he more than likely doesn't watch- and let's not get him started on Teh Interwebs!- and it's something he feels strongly about why? This:

"And the reality is: All this retro TV is too much of a good thing, or, more correctly, too much of a thing that wasn’t really as good as memory makes it seem. It’s fine to pay respect to the shows of yore, to acknowledge and admire them for delineating and expanding the form and so on. But to actually watch 50-year-old shows all day? I’d rather rip out my eyeballs."

(Bold and italics mine, for the entirety)

Apparently, there is no such thing as background noise. Something comforting that isn't of the Now. Age does NOT confer any insight or hindsight that is useful. (Not that every show is a gem of the highest order. I stop down for some Monkees because it's inane and the music was good, not for wisdom.) Apparently those of us who watch these channels have not only bad memories but we are wasting time on crap.  No matter what or who was involved, unless you are solely star-gazing, there is no reason to watch. Respect and acknowledge these series of motion and sound, but don't use them for what they are actually for! Rip you eyeballs out instead, that's the way to go. ::eyeroll::

"But if you’re watching this fare all day, every day, you need help, because “venerable” doesn’t necessarily mean “still watchable.” "

Wow. The assumption that viewers for these channels are mentally challenged, the assumption that the viewers are 24/7, the assumption that that is inherently bad and mentally unstable, the assumption that the shows are being aired because they are venerable, and that someone somewhere has mistaken the word venerable for "watchable". As I said, a lot of assumptions.  Mr. Gentzlinger has seemed to forget market basics--supply/demand. If there was no want for these older shows, there would BE no older shows shown. The money would make it unfeasible, right?  Also, SO WHAT if we DO watch these channels 24/7/365? How is it bothering Mr. Gentzlinger? He doesn't say.  He also isn't a PhD in psychology or psychiatry, so maybe pull back on the diagnosing of your readers. Blanket statements/ sweeping generalizations don't help your point, whatever it is.

"Too much of this will turn your brain to mush as surely as too much of today’s reality TV will."

Wow, are you my mom? Really? Because that's what my mom swore to me. Before this statement, Mr. Gentzlinger lists off stuff like slower pacing and "obvious plot twists" as Bad Things these dumb ol' shows have, along with wooden acting and wince-inducing jokes. Really? Dude, have you seen the last television season? Is there a CSI  still airing? Is there not Under The DomeThe Goldbergs are free of wince-inducing jokes? ::rolls eyes some more::

"I know this is heresy to some, but since I’m in this far, I might as well go whole hog."

It's heresy because...? You're an adult who is stating an opinion different from some other adults? Okay, I guess.

"Here are nine great, important, fabulous vintage (or soon to be) shows that I never want to see again. "

Thanks for making assumptions some more.  I can tell you were trying to throw us old show viewers ( and old, show viewers) a bone about actual important series with the inclusion of "great" and "important", yet I feel a pat of condescension on my 48 year old head. It might just be my dumb ol brain turnin' to mush, though. ::shrugs::

"I don’t know if they are currently being shown on any of the channels mentioned above, but surely somebody has programmed them or plans to in the future. No! Back in the vault, please:"

Hey, great flipping through a paper schedule or seeing on your tv  or even looking at tvguide.com or even the websites for any of those channels. I know off the top of my head that 5 of his 9 are on MeTV over a week. TVLand has Gilligan, Green Acres  and I Love Lucy.   I checked UP, Aspire, Inspire, TVLand, and Encore Westerns. It took practically no time to do so.  If these nine you dislike so much are being programmed, maybe that is because normal, everyday people like watching them. It's a television you are watching; you can just turn the damn channel or turn the machine off. There is no forcing going on.

About The Honeymooners: "Couples defined by screaming seem more sad than funny today."  And yet, there's still that type of "comedy" being put onto tvs in these the Teens

On Dobie Gillis:" If those same people, with a lifetime of perspective now in their heads, were to watch it today, the memory of that would make them flush with embarrassment. At their age, that would constitute a health risk."   Wow. More condescension. That's helpful. Because everyone who watches old tv shows are old? O.o

About Gilligan: "Preserve that innocence by not watching it again, because most of the episodes were actually kind of lame, and some dismaying stereotypes floated through the island from time to time."  Unlike now? We are so advanced that there is NO lame episode of anything and there are absolutely NO "dismaying stereotypes" floating through current television being produced in this, the 21st century! So much privilige and -isms to unpack, but this is not the thread for that nasty business. ::rolls eyes again, some more::

About Green Acres: " Along with “The Beverly Hillbillies,” “Gomer Pyle” and a few others, it made sure “rural” and “stupid” would be wrongly linked for years to come."

Oohhh, it was solely the sitcoms  that linked rural to stupid. Thanks. Then I can see why those too-powerful shows need to be put away. They cast such a spell over folks. It couldn't have been other people's interpretation of those characters that linked rural to stupid, which is what your words imply.

On Original Recipe Dallas: "What’s dismaying isn’t so much that this series was ever on, it’s that it ran for 13 years and then was revived in 2012."

Ye Gods! A popular show that ran for over a decade and then was rebooted?!!? Reboots never happen to shows, and never to long running ones *coughDr. Whocough*.

On Boy Meets World: "This was and still is a wonderful show. I just don’t want to see it on TV again, because its mere presence might remind me of the sequel that just started, “Girl Meets World,” which doesn’t come close to clearing the bar the original set."  Let's hide away a show I like because it might  remind me of another show that's a continuation but I don't like  at all?

On Sex and The City:  "It’s perhaps not quite “vintage” yet, but this series already has the feel of a show whose original fans, when they’re older and wiser, might upon revisiting it say: “Gosh, I really didn’t know anything back then, did I? And some of those clothing choices didn’t age  well.”  Aaannnddd just...here's a cup of STFU.  Not that he's judgy or anything. Because he's a Beau Brummel of the new century? "Older and wiser"?  The freaking condescension just... ::takes a breath::

(I didn't add anything of his I Love Lucy or Welcome Back, Kotter reasons because they were, imo, not only full of poo, but his call. Lucy doesn't need us to stand up for her; her legacy is established. For Kotter, it was mostly snark about Travolta and how he doesn't like "up your nose with a rubber hose." )

That pile just hit all my buttons about television, essentially, equaling garbage. I apologize for the length, but there is just so much...opinion masquerading as knowledge/ knowing critique when Mr. Gentzlinger starts his first paragraph insulting the intended target of this ...opinion piece.

I don't recall ever reading Mr. Gentzlinger before, but I'm in no hurry now, no matter the reputation. Even if this was because he had a bad day and the "dog" he kicked was tv because it's safe and easy to kick. Because I'd rather spend some time with polite patrolmen, a PI with an ocelot, three groovy kids working undercover, or a wacky radio station sometimes  instead of depressing current news, unengaging shows (for my tastes), or longer-form entertainment like video games or movies. It doesn't make my choices wrong or right, and the same with Mr. Gentzlinger. Unfortunately, he seems to think it does.

edited to re-add the bolds and italics.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 7

He also seems to forget that these older shows are very popular w/the Baby Boomers, who have the largest expendable budgets. And advertising pays for these shows!

That's basic marketing and something someone in his position should know!

• Love 5

The author of that piece was an utter douche of the highest caliber. The whole article irked me off, because, YES, I do rewatch these shows, and YES, they are as funny as the last time I watched them.

I wonder if he wrote it to just get everyone riled, or if he is really that idiotic to think that people watch these shows 24/7, as if we don't have jobs to go to, other shows that we watch. UGH.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

The author of that piece was an utter douche of the highest caliber.  The whole article irked me off, because, YES, I do rewatch these shows, and YES, they are as funny as the last time I watched them.

I wonder if her wrote it to just get everyone riled, or if he is really that idiotic to think that people watch these shows 24/7, as if we don't have jobs to go to, other shows that we watch. UGH.

Yea it was just dumb. Some people like to rewatch the shows and some like to get a chance to watch them. It's insulting that he thinks that people watch tv 24/7 and we don't have jobs, etc., there's dvr for a reason ;). So we can watch them when we can. And there's NOTHING wrong with older tv, it's enjoyable and worth the watch every so often.

• Love 5

The whole argument is so stupid I don't know where to begin.  Leaving aside for a second the quality of the individual shows, some of which are as good today as when they were made, the idea that it's old so it's bad would negate the entire history of fine art, music, literature, you name it.  Over 70 percent of silent film is thought to be lost because the generation that followed it had exactly this attitude, it's old, it's no good, so the nitrate films dissolved, burned, exploded due to neglect.  I only wish there was a comedy on today as hilariously absurd as Green Acres or as brilliantly self-satirizing as Dobie Gillis.  Of course, thirty years from now some guy will be dissing today's shows in the news I suppose.

But now for the really important question, when does ME-TV start broadcasting from Times Square?  There's rumored to be a holdup, either legal (Channel 3 in Hartford CT is said to be unhappy) or maybe technical?  Anyway I hope it's sooner rather than later.

• Love 5

But now for the really important question, when does ME-TV start broadcasting from Times Square?  There's rumored to be a holdup, either legal (Channel 3 in Hartford CT is said to be unhappy) or maybe technical?  Anyway I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Per a discussion I found on dslreports.com, it's a legal dispute with the CT station. You'd think the channel assignments would be worked out better to avoid stuff like this at the last minute. There was a vague reference to maybe September but who knows.

Just want to put in a plug for a show that's currently running on MeTV - The Rockford Files has a semi-active board of its own here on Previously.TV, if anyone wants to tawk.  I'm doing a first-time watch!

As for the article, no I wouldn't want to binge-watch I Love Lucy all weekend - the shows weren't made with that in mind.  When I watch old TV shows, especially ones I haven't seen before, I do it with a general consciousness of what TV used to be like, and to what were current events at the time, which informs my reactions to the shows.  Maybe the guy who wrote this is just way too young to remember the era of three networks.

I love MeTV but I kind of wish its focus wasn't so broad; I'd love a channel just consisting of '70s television, for example.  The 50's stuff I'm not so much into, but my mom loves it.

• Love 1

I love MeTV but I kind of wish its focus wasn't so broad; I'd love a channel just consisting of '70s television, for example.  The 50's stuff I'm not so much into, but my mom loves it.

Then Antennae and Cozi-check those out; they tend to have the 70s and early 80s shows. I love MeTV and how it has 50s-80s. And speaking for myself, I do bingewatch  I Love Lucy. While I'm cleaning or when I need to decompress on the weekend. Now I' hoping for the episodes that are saved up on my dvr, has the episode where Lucy learns to speak proper English because another thread there, about using proper Grammar, has that clip and it's hilarious how bough, cough, through and rough are pronounced differently and how Ricky mangles them.  It reminded me of an old Bollywood movie I have from the 70s where one of the leads is pretending he doesn't know English and is undercover from his never seen before brother in law and asks said BIL, why English is so tough. For example, he says "T-O is To, shouldn't G-O be pronounced Goo?" Loses something in the translation here, but it's hilarious when you watch it.

I'm off to be my pathetic old self according to that author and go watch my Perry Mason, Hart to Hart, and I Love Lucy now!

• Love 3

We get MeTV, but not Antenna or Cozi TV. We used to get RTV (later called Retro TV), but our affiliate dumped it for some stupid Infomercial channel called Live Well Network.

MeTV, while it does show older shows, also seems to show recent-ish shows (well, by comparison!), too. I know I've seen Remington Steele on MeTV, and it was a treat having the show on TV again. (I have the DVDs, but it's still cool to have it being broadcast.)

• Love 2

I almost never use my TV tuner (not for the sake of cable--that's what using the Internet is for!) but did check for these recently.  Looks like I'm SUPPOSED to be able to get all three, but in actuality was only able to get a strong enough signal for Cozi.

Programming Alert for MeTV.  This Saturday night Svengoolie will be showing Curse of the Undead, a horror/western starring Eric Fleming of the beloved Queen of Outer Space.  This is a Universal movie which is inexplicably available only on pricey out of print VHS tapes. Worth a look IMO.  It really is both a horror movie and a western. 

• Love 1

Lucky you Sandman87.  I would love to get RetroTV.  I read that they will soon be showing episodes of the old soap opera The Doctors, which I saw when I was a kid.  Does RetroTV have much overlap with the other oldie stations in this forum such as Big Valley or Perry Mason?

Locally (the DFW metroplex), we are able to get HOT TV (History Of Television, iirc). [ http://www.hottvchannel.com/ ]  I get Over The Air stuff only, so I don't know if anyone with cable/satellite gets it as well. My only complaint is that whoever does the sound has the ads louder than the shows by at least 50%!

That's where I get episodes of Original Recipe Dragnet, Life With Elizabeth, Lock Up ( with Macdonald Carey, DAYS OF OUR LIVES fans!), and whatever strikes my fancy. I just haven't watched Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Roy Rogers, or Clutch Cargo, but I intend to watch them sometime.

I would love to get RetroTv, but while it has some NC stations, no cable companies carry it. Cozi is only on Dish and U-verse in my area. I do get something called ThisTV though, mostly just random old movies and Addams Family.

We should probably change the title of this thread to reflect that it's a general nostalgia network discussion.

Looking at that map... there may appear to be a lot of dots, but looking closer it seems to be like 70 or 80 markets (and missing some real big ones)

The target demographics for all of the nostalgia channels will probably be people over 40 and people who don't want a lot of sexual or violent content, and I suspect that the map reflects that. For example: A big chunk of my area is rural, plus there are a lot of retirees here, so it makes sense that a lot of the nostalgia stations are available.

Does RetroTV have much overlap with the other oldie stations in this forum such as Big Valley or Perry Mason?

There's at least a little overlap (Bonanza and Dragnet at least), but it doesn't look like there's a lot.

Edited by Sandman87

We should probably change the title of this thread to reflect that it's a general nostalgia network discussion.

I'd be more careful, because that would include stuff like Nick at Night.  And it seemed to me that this is primarily about networks of Free to Air low-power broadcast channels.

• Love 1

I love Streets of San Francisco, which is on MeTV Sundays at 4PM. Interesting to see Michael Douglas when he first started out. Leslie Nielsen played a villain in a couple of episodes, which was hilarious. Martin Sheen guested and was chased by Michael Douglas in the end. They would appear together many years later in "Wall Street". In one episode from 1973, Douglas character Keller interviewed a woman and her four-year old daughter about an incident. Interestingly, Catherine Zeta-Jones would have been four years old in 1973!

• Love 1

MeTV is broadcasting a Rockford Files episode today (noon PT) that features Lauren Bacall -- so we can miss James Garner and her all at the same time. 

To the poster above who questioned whether "Cheers" is really retro:  I feel your perspective, but it premiered over thirty years ago -- when I was in my twenties, shows from thirty years earlier were from another solar system!  It is hard to believe that the 1980s were a long time ago! 

• Love 2

I figured out Robin Williams died because MeTV showed the Happy Days when Mork first appeared. :-( The kids were watching it and asking why Ritchie was back on the show.

I am loving the ad MeTV is showing about CHiPS: http://metvnetwork.com/videos/metv-promos/the-men-of-chips

Here is a link to how Me is setting up their programming for the Fall:http://metvnetwork.com/fall2014

Seeing this ad never fails to make me chuckle: http://metvnetwork.com/videos/metv-promos/what-makes-lucas-mccain-mad- Clever ads make my day. Like this one: http://www.cozitv.com/video/McMillan---Wife-Returns/cozi-tv/265273561

• Love 4