Type keyword(s) to search

Retro TV Channels: ”The Good Old Days of Television”

• Start Topic

That episode of The Seventies was interesting, but they only really covered big hit prime-time shows from the Big Three, one or two PBS kids' shows, and Monty Python. And way, way too many Norman Lear shows. Huge swaths of the TV landscape were left untouched, including independently produced and syndicated shows that ran in most markets nationwide and stuff from the independent networks and "fourth networks" (like Kaiser Broadcasting.)

It was particularly ironic that they barely touched on kids' shows, since at one point they mentioned what a huge chunk of programming was aimed at children.

Decades finally has a weekly schedule up, for those who might be  interested : http://www.decades.com/  ; on the right had corner of the big orange box, it says "download  weekly schedule".

Considering this week's tropical storm and flooding, I am a bit unsure how I feel about the movie the channel showed today, 14 Hours.  It was abou the evacuation of a Houston hospital during/after Hurricane Allison. It starred JoBeth Wiliams, Ricky Schroeder and Kris Kristofferson.  It was a good movie, even though I didn't catch the fist half ( I think).

Decades finally has a weekly schedule up, for those who might be  interested : http://www.decades.com/  ; on the right had corner of the big orange box, it says "download  weekly schedule".

Thanks much Actionimage...but really CBS:   ".....a marital milestone for Lucille Ball and Ricky Arnaz"  um  Ricky Arnaz??

• Love 7
(edited)

Our local RetroTV affiliate is running a crawl which says that Retro will be making unspecified "big changes" to the lineup next week.

...a marital milestone for Lucille Ball and Ricky Arnaz

They're a very close family. :)

Edited by Sandman87
  • Love 1

Channel surfing I stumbled upon the Sunday afternoon block of "Quantum Leap."...I just NEVER got that show.....and id didn't help that I think Scott Bakula is sooo overrated. But I know the show has fans who love it. So it's airing now. (Not sure which channel though)

• Love 1

One thing I will say about these old shows....I never noticed how chintzy some of the sets looked before.

I mean, as a kid who noticed how fake the monsters looked on Star Trek or Lost in Space. Now, I actually see that the boulders are painted styrofoam, or the zipper in the back of the aliens suit:):) 

I'm watching "The Name of the Game" now and it's clearly shot at a studio..... The streets and curbs look so, so..."back lot".......

OMG. Now I see that Starsky and Hutch, the Andy Griffth Show, Maninix, Mission Impossible, night Gallery, Twilight Zone...... I especially notice it on cop shows....when people are supposed to be running out of a building or parking in front of a house, or walking/driving down the street.

• Love 2

I've been catching parts of Starsky & Hutch episodes on COZI sometimes on my lunch break. Was there supposed to be subtext between them (in a joking, maybe even not PC way)?

I really like Barney Miller, which runs as two back-to-back episodes on Antenna TV that I can sometimes catch after work. It seems pretty enlightened for 1980, or was that the way things were?

• Love 1
(edited)

One thing about Barney Miller, which was also true of Star Trek - shows like that made more of an effort to be racially diverse in their main cast, which I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see everything) happens as much today.  Barney Miller had great characters, I especially loved Dietrich (Steve Landesberg).

Edited by roseha
  • Love 6
(edited)

I've been catching parts of Starsky & Hutch episodes on COZI sometimes on my lunch break. Was there supposed to be subtext between them (in a joking, maybe even not PC way)

?

I belong to the S&H fandom, and yes. Probably 75% of fans believe there was supposed to be some subtext. It also helps that David & Paul were (and still are) best of friends. Apparently some of the writers were gay. It's surprising how much they were able to get by the censors for the 1970s ('The Game' tag *cough*).

There is a blooper reel out there, and Paul is constantly trying to kiss David, I think to throw the latter off. It's actually cute & funny.

Regarding the scenery, most of the places on the show are real, and still exist. Both of Hutch's homes during the series still exist, though the cottage on the canal has been transformed to prevent fans from traipsing on private property. Both of Starsky's homes, however, have been torn down. And Parker Center (the glass fronted headquarters) is now gone, but Metro building still exists.

The cabin & "forest" used for 'Satan's Witches' is obviously faked.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
(edited)

One thing about Barney Miller, which was also true of Star Trek - shows like that made more of an effort to be racially diverse in their main cast, which I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong, I don't see everything) happens as much today...

It also seemed a little early to me in TV land to present gay issues in a serious and open way, rather than just joking and not overtly, like Starsky and Hutch.

...I especially loved Dietrich (Steve Landesberg).

Yesterday they aired the episode in which Wojo gets hypnotized--ostensibly in order to try to remember a name and/or license number from a robbery he witnessed, but it is really an excuse by the writers to let his character say what he (and the writers?) really think about Dietrich and Barney. Hypnotized Wojo says that Dietrich is smarter than all of the squad combined, but that Dietrich (unlike Barney) also always talks to Wojo (who is not so smart) with respect, as if Wojo is smart enough to understand what Dietrich is talking about.

I especially enjoy Dietrich's humorous asides.

And although Barney can be kind of dickish at times (which I do not care to watch), I really enjoy Hal Linden's facial expressions of exasperation, bemusement, incredulity, etc., and also Barney's wisdom in applying so-called "reverse psychology" to diffuse situations.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
(edited)

Barney Miller was brilliant. I still remember the marijuana brownies episode, when everyone unknowingly ended up high. Jack Soo blinked his eyes and said “squishy squishy" and I laughed until my stomach hurt. The whole episode was hysterical, and I was too young to even understand it all.

I found a new channel – BUZZR. They’re showing old game shows. When I was a kid, I used to watch Match Game after school, but I didn’t remember the prize money being so low. I’m almost afraid to watch repeats of Tattletales, because I loved that. Suzanne Sommers and Alan Hamel were on a lot, and at least they’re still married. I remember when Bert Convy passed away from a brain tumor.

I can’t decide if all these shows bring back happy memories, or if they’re best left in the past. It’s nice to see the 1970s again, but my lord, we were all so naïve and innocent.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 5

to make a long story short, my husband injured his shoulder and retreated to our bedroom. To keep my sanity I've been watching tv in the guest room that can pick up Retro TV. I've noticed that some programs like Bonanza and Petticoat Junction have different theme songs. But on MeTV Bonanza and Petticoat Junction use their real theme songs. Is there a licensing issue that Retro can't use it, but MeTV can?

BTW.....I love that Retro shows Mystery Science Theater 3000

• Love 2

We just got Decades network here in the KS area, and I have to say i'm not that impressed w/the channel other than their "Through the Decades" program.  Their network seems a little too all over the place in regards to their programming.  I know they just started out and will eventually get it all worked out like Antenna TV and MeTV.

We just got Decades network here in the KS area, and I have to say i'm not that impressed w/the channel other than their "Through the Decades" program.  Their network seems a little too all over the place in regards to their programming.  I know they just started out and will eventually get it all worked out like Antenna TV and MeTV.

I like the history aspect of Decades too but find the rest of their programming frustrating. I haven't watched it much since their official launch on Memorial Day where before I was binging the various shows to the point of watching nothing else. I hope the programming gets worked out too.

(edited)

I love that Retro shows Mystery Science Theater 3000

We adore MST3K and It kills me that we can't get RetroTV.  Doesn't pick up through TimeWarner in NYC.

The greatest thing about MeTv for me is Svengoolie.  That show is like a birthday present for me every Saturday night.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

I was pulling in Retro over the air in New York City (Channel 42-7) for awhile, but I could only keep it by angling the antenna away from MeTV so I'm stuck for the moment.  I was enjoying watching Soupy Sales on Retro - I caught the 70s color ones, though I loved his black and white 60s shows from New York the best.

• Love 1

I was pulling in Retro over the air in New York City (Channel 42-7) for awhile, but I could only keep it by angling the antenna away from MeTV so I'm stuck for the moment.  I was enjoying watching Soupy Sales on Retro - I caught the 70s color ones, though I loved his black and white 60s shows from New York the best.

The tv in our guest bedroom can pick up Retro. Like you the antenna has to be angled in a funny way which  loses half of the channels.

• Love 1

One thing I will say about these old shows....I never noticed how chintzy some of the sets looked before.

I mean, as a kid who noticed how fake the monsters looked on Star Trek or Lost in Space. Now, I actually see that the boulders are painted styrofoam, or the zipper in the back of the aliens suit:):)

Gotta love HD, huh?  Thanks to that and improved syndicated prints, I can see hair extensions on 60s actresses - and the hair colors don't seem to match up! 

Barney Miller was brilliant. I still remember the marijuana brownies episode, when everyone unknowingly ended up high.

I grew up watching the series and it was brilliant!  I've been catching reruns on Rural-TV (aka Family Net) although I have it on DVD as well.

Jack Soo blinked his eyes and said “squishy squishy" and I laughed until my stomach hurt. The whole episode was hysterical,

Officially it was "Squish, squish!".  Later came, "Mushie, mushie!"  Jack Soo himself was a funny guy!  I recently caught the tribute episode for him.  It's not often you get an entire 1/2 hour dedicated to a co-star who died during production.  At best you can see a 30 second tribute  with a photo of them with their dates of birth and death superimposed on them.  I guess that shows how much he really meant to the rest of the cast and crew.

• Love 3

Antenna TV just aired the Barney Miller episode 7.22, "Liquidation," the last episode of season 7, in which Harris says the n-word. I posted more about it in the all-episodes thread of the Barney Miller board, here: forums.previously.tv/topic/5296-all-episodes-talk-12th-precinct-chatter/#entry1335444, if anyone wants to respond more about it in relation to the show.

But I'm also wondering in general, was that not uncommon in the late 70s-early 80s? Did Sanford and Son ever do it?

• Love 1

I was enjoying watching Soupy Sales on Retro - I caught the 70s color ones, though I loved his black and white 60s shows from New York the best.

They run Soupy Sales on Jewish Life TV if you get that - also The Goldbergs (I mean the REAL Goldbergs with Gertrude Berg, the original Molly Goldberg, not the current ABC sitcom) and the Jack Benny Show.  It's it or miss whether it's going to be the older classic black and white Soupys or the color ones from the 70's - I mean, any Soupy is great Soupy, but of course those black and white 60's ones are the true classics.  

BTW  because they were there and I was  intrigued I watched some of The Goldbergs just because it is such an influential show, especially in terms of showing Jewish American life to mainstream America.    G-d help me, it is practically unwatchable.  I feel the same way about the radio show and I feel bad because I would like to be a bigger fan of a such an important female writer/producer in American broadcast history.  But oy.

• Love 1

They run Soupy Sales on Jewish Life TV if you get that - also The Goldbergs (I mean the REAL Goldbergs with Gertrude Berg, the original Molly Goldberg, not the current ABC sitcom) and the Jack Benny Show.  It's it or miss whether it's going to be the older classic black and white Soupys or the color ones from the 70's - I mean, any Soupy is great Soupy, but of course those black and white 60's ones are the true classics.

Thanks much ratgirlagogo - I just checked though and I don't get Jewish Life TV with my Standard TWC plan (nor TCM or METV for that matter).  At least I can get METV over the air so maybe Jewish Life TV will follow.  Apparently they are showing some Soupy shows, thanks.

I have great memories of his New York mid-60s shows - I remember the "little green pieces of paper" New Year's Day show and the end of "Philo Kvetch" detective sketches, when the evil mastermind turned out to be a man playing the deposed Nikita Khrushchev - but the show had such a surreal, shoestring budget goofiness that I don't think can be appreciated unless you actually saw it.  According to legend most of the 60s shows were trashed by the station without Soupy's knowledge, but there are a few on DVD and some others floating around on Youtube.  Soupy was also very hip in his love of jazz and R and B, which frequently comes out during the show.

• Love 2

Antenna TV just aired the Barney Miller episode 7.22, "Liquidation," the last episode of season 7, in which Harris says the n-word. I posted more about it in the all-episodes thread of the Barney Miller board, here: forums.previously.tv/topic/5296-all-episodes-talk-12th-precinct-chatter/#entry1335444, if anyone wants to respond more about it in relation to the show.

But I'm also wondering in general, was that not uncommon in the late 70s-early 80s? Did Sanford and Son ever do it?

I know they used it on The Jeffersons in the early years when the show still had the social commentary angle that was common in Norman Lear shows. I don't recall them using it when became a pure over the top comedy.

• Love 1
Antenna TV just aired the Barney Miller episode 7.22, "Liquidation," the last episode of season 7, in which Harris says the n-word...But I'm also wondering in general, was that not uncommon in the late 70s-early 80s? Did Sanford and Son ever do it?
I can remember both Fred and Esther busting it out. I'm sure that it gets bleeped now in syndication though.
  • Love 1

I can remember both Fred and Esther busting it out. I'm sure that it gets bleeped now in syndication though.

It doesn't get bleeped in rap music on the radio so why would it be bleeped out of a decades old TV show?

It doesn't get bleeped in rap music on the radio so why would it be bleeped out of a decades old TV show?

Different audience, advertisers' expectations, and individual network censorship policies.

I wondered if they would've bleeped the recently re-aired episodes if the President had not mentioned the n-word in a recent interview, do censors even check primetime shows from the 70s and 80s?

• Love 2

They run Soupy Sales on Jewish Life TV if you get that - also The Goldbergs (I mean the REAL Goldbergs with Gertrude Berg, the original Molly Goldberg, not the current ABC sitcom) and the Jack Benny Show.  It's it or miss whether it's going to be the older classic black and white Soupys or the color ones from the 70's - I mean, any Soupy is great Soupy, but of course those black and white 60's ones are the true classics.  

BTW  because they were there and I was  intrigued I watched some of The Goldbergs just because it is such an influential show, especially in terms of showing Jewish American life to mainstream America.    G-d help me, it is practically unwatchable.  I feel the same way about the radio show and I feel bad because I would like to be a bigger fan of a such an important female writer/producer in American broadcast history.  But oy.

My local NPR affiliate has an "Old time radio" show every sunday night. After listening to the radio programs like Dragnet, Father Knows Best, Jack BEnny, Burns and Allen and Gunsmoke and watching their tv counterparts, I prefer the radio versions. I think the acting and writing are tighter in the radio programs. Sometimes they do air the radio versions The Goldbergs, Our Miss Brooks and The Great Gildersleeve and I'm hoping one of these old time tv networks will show the television versions so I can compare.

BTW, I've heard My Favorite Husband episodes and they are just as good as I Love Lucy.

After listening to the radio programs like Dragnet, Father Knows Best, Jack BEnny, Burns and Allen and Gunsmoke and watching their tv counterparts, I prefer the radio versions. 

The pictures are so much better on the radio versions, aren't they? Theater of the imagination.  Mr Rat is a radio collector/historian and we are ALL about old time radio Chez Rat.

• Love 3

The pictures are so much better on the radio versions, aren't they? Theater of the imagination.  Mr Rat is a radio collector/historian and we are ALL about old time radio Chez Rat.

I think radio was perfect for the Lone Ranger and Superman.

• Love 2

That's the odd thing.....when I listen to the radio programs, I can "see" the scene in my head just with the sound effects and the dialogue (ex. Chester: Did ya see that Mr. Dylan? Marshall Dylan: Where Chester? Chester: Over there by the barn! Watch out Mr. Dylan. He's got a shot gun pointed right at us!)

• Love 1

That's the odd thing.....when I listen to the radio programs, I can "see" the scene in my head just with the sound effects and the dialogue (ex. Chester: Did ya see that Mr. Dylan? Marshall Dylan: Where Chester? Chester: Over there by the barn! Watch out Mr. Dylan. He's got a shot gun pointed right at us!)

Marshall Bob Dylan?   :)  Not Matt Dillon?

• Love 1

That's the odd thing.....when I listen to the radio programs, I can "see" the scene in my head just with the sound effects and the dialogue

Oh my yes.  The same way you can hear the voices and effects in silent films.

Marshall Bob Dylan?   :)  Not Matt Dillon?

Heh....my bad. I was listening to Bob Dylan during my morning commute yesterday. Dylan on the brain.......lol.

• Love 2
(edited)

I find myself watching BUZZR. Repeats of Match Game, and Tattletales. And then I have to Google to see whatever happened to the Tattletales couples and who is still alive and who got divorced. It's pathetic.  :)

I'm happy that Decades has picked up the original Hawaii-Five-0. I love Jack Lord. Again, pathetic. :)

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2

Oh, I don't know.  He does possess the Tao of Steve and all.:)

My favorite Jack Lord story ... he was up for the role of Beau in Bus Stop, with Marilyn Monroe. The producers said that Jack simply didn't look like a naïve virgin.  :)

• Love 3

Anyone having problems with the aspect ratio on MeTV? Nothing fixes it.

Do you mean that it is not wide screen? Or is it displaying it stretched? How old is your TV? Are you watching over-the-air, or with a cable box, or...?
  • Love 1
(edited)

Anyone having problems with the aspect ratio on MeTV? Nothing fixes it.

We did have this problem for a couple of years (had to keep adjusting the aspect ratio through the TV remote - and yes we had digital cable at the time) but it has rectified itself in the last year.  Our friends who have an ancient old TV, no cable and receive the new digital TV through a converter box have the stretching problem - very sad for them since they are big Svengoolie and Original Recipe Star Trek fans.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
(edited)

It turns out it was an issue with the cable company only. They screwed up the signal sent out.

In other words: never mind.

Edited by revbfc
  • Love 2