Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

This will be my fourth -- in two of the other three, he performed "Alice's Restaurant", which was extra awesome.

I loved his 50 year anniversary Alice's Restaurant concert that aired on PBS. "Can you believe it? 50 years ago on Thanksgiving..." It also had "City of New Orleans" and a few others.

27 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That was my take too. Though I actually liked Ryan, I was happy the match went to someone who was having a good time. I will enjoy watching her.

I will too. I don't mind contestants who are happy to be there so long as they don't turn nasty if they start losing. 

14 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

For TS I got Fujimori, Van Halen, Metallica, and Xavier. FJ was an instaget.

Got those. Xander? Seriously, Ryan? That was one of his many boneheaded guesses. St. Ignatius of Santiago de Compostela?  

• Love 2

Oklahoma always comes to mind when Woody Guthrie is mentioned. Being an Okie during the Dust Bowl years was a big part of his music and persona.

I think grinnin' Jenny might get on my nerves after a while, but right now I'm just glad she beat Ryan. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrScottie said:

Got those. Xander? Seriously, Ryan? That was one of his many boneheaded guesses. St. Ignatius of Santiago de Compostela?  

I also said Xander - it was the only name that fit the category that I could think of. I don't pronounce - nor have I ever heard anyone pronounce - Xavier as "Zavier" as they did on the show. It's always "Eckzavier". So, I didn't think that name fit the category, since it didn't start with the Z sound.

I did, however, get St Ignatius of Loyola immediately - a high school in my school board is called that, and typically just referred to as Loyola!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I also said Xander - it was the only name that fit the category that I could think of. I don't pronounce - nor have I ever heard anyone pronounce - Xavier as "Zavier" as they did on the show. It's always "Eckzavier". So, I didn't think that name fit the category, since it didn't start with the Z sound.

I went to a high school run by the Xaverian Brothers (pronounced Zaverian) of the Congregation of St. Francis Xavier (pronounced Zavier). To quote Shawn Spencer from Psych, "I've heard it both ways." Perhaps it's a regional thing as I'm from Massachusetts, I don't know. 

• Love 3

What’s funny is for some reason I can’t spell Oklahoma without singing the song from the musical so if I had been on the show, I would have been mouthing it.  As soon as I saw Guthrie I immediately thought of Oklahoma and then seeing Rodgers I knew I was right. I’m not sure why I read the clue backwards. 

• Love 4
On 2/2/2018 at 10:13 PM, Sharpie66 said:

(If you have seen the Chicago Cubs winning at Wrigley Field in the past decade or so, you’ve heard Steve Goodman singing his song “Go Cubs Go”—he was a great singer/songwriter in the ‘70s/early ‘80s who died too young from leukemia. His other great Chicago songs are “Lincoln Park Pirates” and “A Dying Cub Fan’s Last Request.”)

My favorite bit of Steve Goodman trivia is that the post office for 60613 (the Cubs' zip code) is the Steve Goodman branch. Complete with a wall of photos of him.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2018 at 7:30 PM, Browncoat said:

Can everyone else see their own "like" hearts?  Mine seem to have disappeared for me.  I guess we can't like our own posts anymore (or see how many likes we have!).

On 2/2/2018 at 7:33 PM, saber5055 said:
On 2/2/2018 at 10:20 PM, Clanstarling said:

If you've never seen Arlo in concert, you're in for a treat. He's such a great story teller, and a much better singer than he was in his youth (not saying he was bad, just that he improved with age).

My "like" hearts disappeared too. But my likes show up - without the heart - in Chrome.

Browncoat, my "like" hearts have disappeared too. So rats, now that I can't like myself, I'll get no likes. Wah!

I thought they had disappeared as well.  

Look at the bottom of the post.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................all the way to the right.  It's down there.  \/

Edited by GalvDuck
  • Love 1

It seems the mods for PTV have been Playing With My Heart. --TM Alex Gaudino

More accurately, playing with our hearts.

Teebax, congratulations on your avatar becoming your permanent avatar. Now you will never age, like Dorian Gray's portrait.

• Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 8:26 PM, saber5055 said:

Has there ever been a Man Authors category?

Um, like every other "Author" category that doesn't have "Woman" or "Female" in the title? I suppose if the category were "19th Century British Authors" chances are that you would have either Jane Austen or Mary Shelley as one of the answers, but it would be interesting to see how often a women shows up in a non-gendered author category. 

FJ was an insta-get for me.  I can believe Ryan lost due to the perfect betting skills of his opponent.  More people could win if they just knew how to bet!

Edited by tallykat
  • Love 1
On 2/2/2018 at 10:19 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The baffling one that is just inexcusable is not knowing Tom Landry and the Cowboys

There are some characters and people that just transcend the game in all sports due to various reasons.  Tom Landry is one of those characters.  The Cowboys.  The hat.  The stoic demeanor on the sideline. 

Legit I knew it but only because Bobby Hill went to Tom Landry middle school on King of The Hill.   And I'm from Houston so I figured if he'd coached the Oilers I'd have known that so probably the Cowboys.   I am not a huge football fan... I mean.. at all.  But I 4/5s of the football questions right... and I knew what offset penalties were but I didn't come up with the word in time.   

I've known no Xavier's and quite a few Xanders and al of them were short for Alexander but they were called and spelled Xander so I didn't know if there were a lot of people who actually named their kids Xander but it didn't seem unlikely  me.  I don't think i would have rung in, though... because like I said... all the Xanders I know have really been named Alexander.

On 2/2/2018 at 10:13 PM, Sharpie66 said:

I know Kristin Hannah as just another romance author. I never thought she had a big enough name for Jeopardy. 

The Nightingale is the only book of hers I know but it was HUGE  a few years ago and isn't a romance.   Seems she started out that way, but I had no idea none...     But I couldn't remember her name.  I just kept trying to picture the book cover of The Nightingale... that really is the problem with kindle reading.  You don't get as many book titles/authors through repetitive viewing as you do when you pick up a book constantly.   

• Love 5
On 2/2/2018 at 11:48 AM, CarpeDiem54 said:

And the Purple People Eaters were forty years ago.

Huh, I got the Purple People Eaters but now I wonder if it was from some crazy tv reference like Tom Landry... I knew the vikings wore purple because of Marshall Erikson on How I Met Your Mother.  Could they have referenced that there?  But Jason Segel is about my age so the Purple People Eaters would have been slightly before his time, too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bybrandy said:

Legit I knew it but only because Bobby Hill went to Tom Landry middle school on King of The Hill.   And I'm from Houston so I figured if he'd coached the Oilers I'd have known that so probably the Cowboys.   I am not a huge football fan... I mean.. at all.  But I 4/5s of the football questions right... and I knew what offset penalties were but I didn't come up with the word in time.   

I've known no Xavier's and quite a few Xanders and al of them were short for Alexander but they were called and spelled Xander so I didn't know if there were a lot of people who actually named their kids Xander but it didn't seem unlikely  me.  I don't think i would have rung in, though... because like I said... all the Xanders I know have really been named Alexander.

The Nightingale is the only book of hers I know but it was HUGE  a few years ago and isn't a romance.   Seems she started out that way, but I had no idea none...     But I couldn't remember her name.  I just kept trying to picture the book cover of The Nightingale... that really is the problem with kindle reading.  You don't get as many book titles/authors through repetitive viewing as you do when you pick up a book constantly.   

I love my Kindle, but yeah, I have a hard time remembering titles and authors who are new to me.

• Love 2

New champ is great, I appreciated that he didn't guess much. I was surprised nobody figured out FJ, though, I guessed The Weather Channel right away because it's the only channel I can think of that is customized by location.

• Love 11

I feel so ignorant for not getting The Weather Channel!  I used to watch that ALL the time back when it actually had weather all the time.  I kind of couldn't figure out what the clue was asking for.  I blame it on staying up too late last night.

I like the new champ, too.  Old champ was even cheerful as she was losing terribly.  Overall a good game, though, with few TS.  I managed hue, Russian and Rappahannock.  I'd have to leave my home state if I'd missed Rappahannock! 

I hated the memoirs category -- too slow with the authors reading the clues.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

New champ is great, I appreciated that he didn't guess much. I was surprised nobody figured out FJ, though, I guessed The Weather Channel right away because it's the only channel I can think of that is customized by location.

That's how I got that too. Local weather on the 8s. Although I do think a localized History Channel would be pretty neat.

I was laughing when I heard yellow river being guessed in the "R"ivers category. Even she was disgusted with herself on that one. 

3 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

The new champ reminded me of Anthony Rapp. 

I see the resemblance and Anthony Rapp does a pretty good job on Star Trek: Discovery.  

1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

Me too. Alex didn't need to preface them and the clues had superfluous elements. They could have easily shortened them. 

• Love 3

The only TS I got was Russian River, probably because I've been there so many times. I said it as soon as the map was shown.

No way in H.E.L.L. I could ever get FJ. I only have antenna tv and Weather Channel is cable. In fact, I can't even get CBS or WB shows on my antenna, so I'd miss any questions about any shows on those two channels too.

Sean seems a good champion, and I'm partial to gingers. Jennifer was polite shaking hands with the chick in the center, and she could do it without getting off of her box!

• Love 2

I don’t remember all the TS I got but I did get hue and UCLA.

Lorie.  We could have gotten through Jeopardy! if you shortened the categories.  “Let’s finish the category for $1000 please” takes a lot longer than “Periodic $1000.”

The new champ’s leaning irritates me.  It looks impertinent.  Also he had a bit of the “hundrit” going on.  And stop saying actuarily!  Just say Love!

Wait. Congress had to declare Native Americans citizens in *1924*?  That’s messed up.

I first said Home Shopping Network for FJ but changed to The Weather Channel before time ran out.

I really miss TWC.  Verizon got rid of it a few years ago and what they replaced it with is very inferior.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

Well, Sean certainly is annoying.  I guess I'm the only one who feels that way.  He had to over enunciate every.single.word but then pronounced hundred as hundren.  WTH?

The only TS I got was Native Americans.  Yes, @mojoween, that is messed up.

I had no clue for FJ, but I don't have cable.  That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Well, Sean certainly is annoying.  I guess I'm the only one who feels that way.  He had to over enunciate every.single.word but then pronounced hundred as hundren.  WTH?

No I got your back Jack.  I was bummed that it was a runaway.  Actually I wasn’t enamored with any of the three of them, TBH.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Actually I wasn’t enamored with any of the three of them, TBH.

I kind of liked Lorie's kickboxing story. I was annoyed when Alex pretended to back away from her. She reminded me of a more cheerful Gladys Ormphby, Ruth Buzzi's character from Laugh-In. Picture for those too young to remember: Gladys Ormphby. Sean was OK by me, overpronunciation and all.

I knew hue, the Russian River, and bereavement. Wrongly guessed The Learning Channel on FJ.

• Love 4

I’m happy to see so many of you got Russian River. I’m from that area, so it was an easy get. In fact, I was about ten minutes behind and a group text came in from my brother of “Sonoma County!” and looking at the categories led to me “precalling” it. It’s a great place to kayak if you’re in the area! 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I was laughing when I heard yellow river being guessed in the "R"ivers category.

Once again I forgot what the category was, and I said Yellow River.

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Actually I wasn’t enamored with any of the three of them

You mean, Actuarily you were enamored....

I got hue and UCLA, which was a lucky guess. I couldn't remember Eddie Bauer. On the tip of my tongue. I remembered Idi Amin, but not the country.

I was expecting aioli to be in the One Consonant category.

I got The Weather Channel. It didn't take me long, and then I was surprised none of the three got it.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I got it too, based off of a similar thought process.

Well, I actually said The Weather Network, which is the Canadian version. Then I thought that maybe the American one is The Weather Channel, not "Network", and I was trying to decide if that was right when the buzzer went ;)

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I guessed The Weather Channel right away because it's the only channel I can think of that is customized by location.

Same here, I was also surprised none  of the contestants got it.

43 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Once again I forgot what the category was, and I said Yellow River.

Me too...

• Love 5
2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS I got was Native Americans.  Yes, @mojoween, that is messed up.

I didn't even hear about that until high school. At least for me growing up, history was sanitized / whitewashed.    

1 hour ago, Pallida said:

I’m happy to see so many of you got Russian River.

As the largest city in Crimea, Sevastopol has been in the news recently because of its annexation. That could be a reason why more people may have guessed it given the category.

• Love 5

I batted pretty much .500 for TS - I knew hue, UCLA, Uganda, Russian (river), and Native Americans, but I joined the contestants in missing Ptolemy, Rappahannock, Bruno Mars, Tim McGraw, bereavement - which was pretty dumb - and, even more embarrassingly, communications (satellite).

I only knew two (Adam and Samson) in the bible category that the contestants ran, but that's to be expected; with the latter I only knew there was some sort of connection with hair.

The only thing I watch on The Weather Channel is re-runs of Why Planes Go Down, but via watching them every single time I come across them I've seen "Local on the 8s" and pop-ups asking me if I want to select a local forecast every time I tune in, so while it took me almost until time ran out, I got FJ, but I'm not sure I could have scribbled it in time.

In Friday's episode (which I missed, but read the clues on the archive), I got all the TS/missed DD in the world capitals category, and I got Van Halen and Metallica.  I also knew Oklahoma for FJ.

But I sucked in the TV category the contestants did just fine in - I knew fairies by the wording of the clue, not the shows referenced, and got The 700 Club (my learn something new for the day - where that title [of a show I've never seen a moment of yet heard of many times] originated), and other than that I came up blank.

I sucked in the Catholic category, too - a big, fat zero.

Sigh - another "Women Authors" category in that game.  Exactly what decade do we need to reach before women and men of color are adequately represented in general categories about leaders, artists, etc., instead of being relegated to their own?  I joined the contestants in being stumped by Kristin Hannah, though; I've never heard of her.

I agree on puppets not needing a BMS prompt and Johnson needing one.

I didn't get Xavier for the baby name TS, because I couldn't come up with what I thought was a popular "written with X but sounds like Z" name, but having it revealed and then reading posts here, I have to say none of the several people I know named Xavier pronounce the X; I know someone named Xzavier who pronounces the X and the Z sound, but Xavier, no.

• Love 4

I joined the contestants in being stumped by Kristin Hannah

Kristin, a fellow author, was all kinds of thrilled when told she was a clue on Jeopardy! I would be, too. In fact, it's on my "bucket" list :)

My list includes publication, seeing my books in a store window, seeing my books in the library (I practically lived in the library when I was a kid), optioning at least one book for a movie, making the bestseller list, being a clue on Jeopardy!

Guess which one I haven't achieved yet ;-)

I didn't guess the weather channel, but should have (duh!)

• Love 2

teebax - congrats to the Eagles!!!

I like Sean, but he needs to learn to shorthand the category names.

The only TS I got were UCLA & hue. As an actuary, I was excited to see the Love Actuarily category, but am ashamed to say I missed bereavement. I knew the concept they were looking for, but the way the clue was written it was clear they were looking for one specific word. My immediate guess for FJ was QVC, but when Dr. Toothbrush said TWC, it was a d'oh moment for me.

On 2/3/2018 at 3:17 PM, DrScottie said:

I went to a high school run by the Xaverian Brothers (pronounced Zaverian) of the Congregation of St. Francis Xavier (pronounced Zavier). To quote Shawn Spencer from Psych, "I've heard it both ways." Perhaps it's a regional thing as I'm from Massachusetts, I don't know. 

It's pronounced the same in New Orleans. Love the Shaun Spencer quote!

15 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

The new champ reminded me of Anthony Rapp. 

Us too!

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, Browncoat said:

10 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Me too. Alex didn't need to preface them and the clues had superfluous elements. They could have easily shortened them. 

They weren't reading the clues, per se, though.  That's why it was Memoirs on Audible--those were clips from the actual audio books written (and read) by the various subjects of the memoirs.  As soon as I saw that category, I knew it would be a slow one.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

My list includes publication, seeing my books in a store window, seeing my books in the library (I practically lived in the library when I was a kid), optioning at least one book for a movie, making the bestseller list, being a clue on Jeopardy!

Guess which one I haven't achieved yet ;-)

I can usually tell when you're kidding, but I'm not sure here. Let us know when you're a clue on Jeopardy.

I never thought about Bruno Mars' backup band having a name (duh), but I love the name The Hooligans. Does that include his dancers, too?

• Love 3

Funny what some people find easy/difficult. FJ was such an instaget, I had it before Alex was done reading the clue. I figured, it *had* to be that simple for the three of them, too, right?? And then it was a TS. 

When the one consonant category was announced, I yelled out "Aura!" Just occurred to me. Kind of disappointed it wasn't there...

• Love 3

Sean seems intense and seems to over-enunciate his words, but he didn't bother me that much. At least he was picking clues fairly fast.

My gets were Bruno Mars, Native Americans, and Rappahannock River. I got FJ immediately and was surprised it was a TS.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, mojoween said:

Wait. Congress had to declare Native Americans citizens in *1924*?  That’s messed up.

Native American tribes and the lands they own are considered sovereign nations--with limits. I think early on in America's relationship with Native American tribes, the sovereignty was more absolute, therefore you could not be a member of the Cherokee Nation and the USA Nation. Now, the federal government has some jurisdiction over tribal lands. More so than states, which have none. I wonder if they can only vote in national elections. The rights of tribal lands supersedes state law, this is why you can have gambling on reservations or tribal lands whether the state allows gambling or not. I'm sure it's wildly complicated legally. 

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

Well, Sean certainly is annoying.  I guess I'm the only one who feels that way.  He had to over enunciate every.single.word but then pronounced hundred as hundren.  WTH

Carpe, you are not alone. 

That and "Love Achoo-rare-a-larity..." It's not funny. It makes me sad for you. I'd rather he said "Love whatever" or certainly should have just said "Love for 8."

Edited by tallykat
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, tallykat said:

That and "Love Achoo-rare-a-larity..." It's not funny. It makes me sad for you.

I agree. Actuarily is not THAT hard to say!

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, tallykat said:

Native American tribes and the lands they own are considered sovereign nations--with limits. I think early on in America's relationship with Native American tribes, the sovereignty was more absolute, therefore you could not be a member of the Cherokee Nation and the USA Nation. Now, the federal government has some jurisdiction over tribal lands. More so than states, which have none. I wonder if they can only vote in national elections. The rights of tribal lands supersedes state law, this is why you can have gambling on reservations or tribal lands whether the state allows gambling or not. I'm sure it's wildly complicated legally. 

Reservations are actually land owned by the federal government in trust for tribes. It’s another layer of the crappy treatment of Native peoples. And casino gambling requires a compact with the state. (Some forms of gambling aren’t casino gambling and don’t require the compact.) 

• Love 8

I'm cutting Sean slack for his over pronunciation of actuarily. I have a friend in Red Wing, Minnesota, and I have difficulty pronouncing that city name. It comes out Wed Wing. I struggle every time. I have to stop and say RED ... (regroup) Wing. Although if that were a Jeopardy category, I'd cut it down to "Minnesota" or "Minnesota City." You know, so people online wouldn't make fun of me.

• Love 5