Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Yay, Leslie!  I liked her right off the bat.  I'm so glad Bobblehead Bob Dylan Wannabee didn't win.

44 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Nice to see Buzzy is still a douche.

His only redeeming quality is that he beat that ass clown, Austin.  Go away and take your fake wrestling belt with you.

35 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I think they should have made them give the complete names for John Wilkes Booth and Ethel Rosenberg. 

So much this.  Powers Booth and Kit Rosenberg anyone?

I only got Remington (DD) and Waltzing Matilda.

I was clueless for FJ.  I had no idea Ben Franklin said it and thought it was a much more recent saying. 

*slinks off to hang my head in shame in my Toddler Jeopardy cave*

• Love 13
16 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I just looked up the quote -- I've never heard the first bit, only the part about "nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."  I had no idea the quote referred to the Constitution.

Yeah, same. 

Buzzy still makes me laugh. He's a douche, but it's really like he's playing a douche, and knows it.

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Yeah, same. 

Buzzy still makes me laugh. He's a douche, but it's really like he's playing a douche, and knows it.

I'll join you at a table for two. Buzzy's belt had me laughing. I like the guy and was happy to see him again.

My gets were Austin, outwit, Waltzing Matilda (I know of no other Australian song), and FJ in an instaget. I'm glad so many of you had FJ right; I was wondering if I was crazy for thinking that was too easy to end up a TS in final. 

Two other random thoughts I wrote down as I watched; First, I learned a week ago that Kate Spade is David Spade's sister. I missed a lot of 90s TV because I was busy serving in the Army, and I recently started watching "Just Shoot Me" for the first time. There was an episode that featured Kate Spade, and it's the first time I ever made the connection about their last names being the same. I looked it up, and I'm sure I'm the last person who learned that little tidbit. Second, Jeopardy should consider upping the prizes for second and third place. It probably costs some contestants more to be on the show than they make! 

• Love 15
52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Hey, Jeptestants, if it's a male artist of the American West, it's likely to be Remington!

Or Charles Russell. Pretty much the same time period too.

25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I just looked up the quote -- I've never heard the first bit, only the part about "nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes."  I had no idea the quote referred to the Constitution.

I didn't have a clue the death-and-taxes thing was a quote from anyone. After the answer was revealed, all I could think of was Ian Fleming's diamonds are forever ... and so is death.

We have enough posters now in the Toddler Jeopardy FJ Failure Cave to have a great round of cards and a potluck if we each bring a dish (with food on it) to share.

• Love 8
(edited)
25 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

slinks off to hang my head in shame in my Toddler Jeopardy cave*

I’m already here. Brought cocktails. Would you like one? 

Edited to add: @saber5055 A pot luck too? I love to cook. I’ll bring a dish. Anyone hungry for anything special? 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 7
13 minutes ago, teebax said:

Two other random thoughts I wrote down as I watched; First, I learned a week ago that Kate Spade is David Spade's sister. I missed a lot of 90s TV because I was busy serving in the Army, and I recently started watching "Just Shoot Me" for the first time. There was an episode that featured Kate Spade, and it's the first time I ever made the connection about their last names being the same. I looked it up, and I'm sure I'm the last person who learned that little tidbit. 

I didn't know there was any connection either, so you're second to last, but Wikipedia says David is her brother in law, not brother. Still interesting!

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m already here. Brought cocktails. Would you like one? 

Yes, please. I've brought my Jeopardy TANKARD (not teapot) that you may fill to the brim rim. *Drink!*

8 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Edited to add: @saber5055 A pot luck too? I love to cook. I’ll bring a dish. Anyone hungry for anything special? 

While Mondrianyone has me craving birthday Mexican, I'm a fan of everything edible. Surprise us! I will love it without a doubt.

17 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

Did no one else have Twilight Zone Jeopardy today in which the new episode went to a rerun  with Joe, Buzz (not Buzzy), and Chantelle after the first commercial?  Weird.

Not weird, it's Ooooh, SPOOKY.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, SHD said:

I didn't know there was any connection either, so you're second to last, but Wikipedia says David is her brother in law, not brother. Still interesting!

"He's the one!" Drink!

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Kate Spade is married to David's brother, Andy.

This is the kind of (usually) useless info that fills my brain.

WTF?  Is that true?  It never even crossed my mind that those two would be related. 

And I never saw her on Just Shoot Me.  I loved that show.  Very underrated.  Will have to go back and watch now and see who she is on there. 

Just bad betting once again in this FJ.  I know the two guys were close in 2nd/3rd before FJ, so they could not just bet based on the leader, but still, you'd think one of them would make a smaller wager on the chance that the leader, or both the others, miss and they could come out on top. 

And of course I know the quote about death and taxes, but I never put it together with that quote and the constitution and "durability" in any way, so I missed it. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

How could none of them know death and taxes?! 

I think they should have made them give the complete names for John Wilkes Booth and Ethel Rosenberg. 

I got it, but I'd never associated the phrase with anything connected with the Constitution before.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I got outwit, particularly since I've never seen a single episode of Survivor.  No idea how that wormed its way into my brain.  I also got Austin, Remington, and Waltzing Matilda.  Hey, Jeptestants, if it's a male artist of the American West, it's likely to be Remington!

I never watched Survivor either and I got it. I guess I saw the logo often enough to remember. I only knew Austin after Houston was declared wrong. For some reason I remembered Victoria Woodhull also.

Leslie seems agreeable despite her odd way of leaning over the podium. I hope she sticks around long enough for Alex not to harp on how little she won today!

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

WTF?  Is that true?  It never even crossed my mind that those two would be related. 

Would I lie?  lol  It's true.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

And of course I know the quote about death and taxes, but I never put it together with that quote and the constitution and "durability" in any way, so I missed it. 

I knew Ben Franklin had said it, but I never realized he was referring to the Constitution. I always thought it was a reference to life in general. I did guess that it though.

2 minutes ago, Driad said:

Today's winnings reminded me -- what was the date of the semi-recent game in which the winner got about $1?

October 17, 2017 - Manny Abell wins with a dollar. 

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/18/jeopardy-contestant-one-dollar/

• Love 7

I'd heard the death and taxes quote, but not the part having to do with the Constitution, so I didn't get FJ. And all this time I thought the death and taxes quip was just a little joke.

TSs I got were Rousseau and Waltzing Matilda, as well as the DD of Remington. Instead of Goya, I said El Greco. I keep getting painters mixed up.

I laughed out loud when Buzzy stood up and revealed his Jeopardy belt. 

Because of NBA playoffs, I missed last Friday's show. Never saw it. Wah.

Belated Birthday Wishes to you, Mondrianyone!

• Love 7

I got outwit and Waltzing Matilda.

I didn't know the "death and taxes" quote related to the Constitution; I thought it was just about life.  It does remind me of one of my favorite Simpson gags of all-time, though:

Smithers (going through Mr. Burns' keepsakes):  Look at all the wonderful things you have, Mr. Burns:  King Arthur's Excalibur, the only existing nude photo of Mark Twain, and that rare first draft of the Constitution with the word "suckers" in it. 

• Love 10

I had no idea that death and taxes was about the Constitution, and the durability part of the clue confused me. I said “death and taxes....no those aren’t durable” during the think music. 

I really liked Leslie’s outfit, so I was rooting for her! I hope she wins enough tomorrow to make up for getting less than second place today. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

I think they should have made them give the complete names for John Wilkes Booth

Absolutely.  Especially since JW's father and brother, also obviously named Booth, were actors as well, which is how JW was ID'd in the clue.  And Booth was even the last name of the outgoing champ--who I'm pretty sure didn't assassinate Lincoln.  (Or did he . . . ?)

3 hours ago, teebax said:

I'll join you at a table for two. Buzzy's belt had me laughing. I like the guy and was happy to see him again.

I've been at the Buzzy table since the get-go.  One difference between him and Austin is that Buzzy gets that a little goes a long way.  (I'm trying to ignore the fact that Buzzy's real name is Austin, too.  And that Austin was an answer tonight.  That's weirdly unsettling.)  I thought the belt was hilarious.  And as Carpe said, who knows how much of Austin would've been inflicted on us, and for how long, if Buzzy hadn't won the ToC.

• Love 8

FJ was by no means a Toddler Jeopardy question. Of course I’ve heard the phrase “death & taxes” before, but the word “durability” threw me in the completely wrong direction, I was trying to think if there was something with “stone.” I still don’t get how durability=certain. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

Absolutely.  Especially since JW's father and brother, also obviously named Booth, were actors as well, which is how JW was ID'd in the clue.  And Booth was even the last name of the outgoing champ--who I'm pretty sure didn't assassinate Lincoln.  (Or did he . . . ?)

Let's not forget about cousin Christopher Carson Booth also known as Kit. 

• Love 6

I had no idea Ben Franklin said it and thought it was a much more recent saying. 

Don't feel bad. I thought it was a quote by Will Rogers.

Ethel Rosenbaum? Holy crap!

Re: Waltzing Matilda, I guess they were all too young <snort>.

• Love 7

I think I fell in love with McQueen during "Love with the Proper Stranger." 

OMG, I love that movie! "That's what love is - bells and banjos playing? How they brainwash you! And here I spend my whole life like a nut waiting for what? A stranger." Natalie Wood

• Love 4
(edited)

I had a feeling Ian would be a one & done. I was rooting for Leslie ahead of the 2 buzzer smashers, but I felt bad for her that she only won $599. If she finishes 3rd tomorrow, her total winnings will be less than a 2nd place finishers'. 

John Wilkes Booth & Ethel Rosenberg's full names should have been required. 

TS I got were writ, Waltzing Mathilda (only Australian song I know), Wonder Wheel. Once again I got Etna & Vesuvius confused. When the FJ category was revealed Dr. Toothbrush said, "it will be a Ben Franklin quote" & I said, "the one about death & taxes". My 2nd pre-guess in a row! But I had no idea it was about the Constitution; I also thought it was a general statement about life. 

6 hours ago, teebax said:

Make it 3. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 9
11 hours ago, teebax said:

First, I learned a week ago that Kate Spade is David Spade's sister. I missed a lot of 90s TV because I was busy serving in the Army, and I recently started watching "Just Shoot Me" for the first time. There was an episode that featured Kate Spade, and it's the first time I ever made the connection about their last names being the same. I looked it up, and I'm sure I'm the last person who learned that little tidbit.

No, that would be me. Thanks for educating me. This is why I enjoy this thread so much.

• Love 4
(edited)

I started watching on Monday and all of a sudden we had a new champ. I totally blanked that we had gone to the movies on Friday and I hadn't watched J. We saw Solo, by the way, which was actually pretty good. Not the greatest movie ever made, but a lot of fun. At least I didn't feel like we wasted our entertainment dollars.

I like the new champ Ok, although I was rooting for Ian on the family name basis. I wonder if she made her scarf? I got FJ of Nixon, but was kind of distracted for rest of the game, so I don't remember any other TS's.

Oh, and count me in the "Buzzy is funny" crew, and I laughed at his humble and self-effacing championship belt. At least he put some of his Jeopardy money to good use. LOL I do agree that a little Buzzy goes a long way, though. I wouldn't like to see him replace Alex. When he does retire, I'd rather have Ken Jennings.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, Jesse said:
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Yeah, same. 

Yeah, the reference to the constitution confused me. I said to my husband "It can't be death and taxes, right?" He said, no, he thought it was. So we got the answer in a doubting Thomas way.

12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Yay, Leslie!  I liked her right off the bat. 

I did too, and kind of liked the outfit, but as I said to my husband, it would feel like a costume if I wore it. He replied "aren't all clothes a costume." Hee.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I thought her wager with her husband - if she wins five times he can get a chicken coop - is kind of a sucker's bet if she really doesn't want the chicken coop. She could totally throw the fifth game if she gets that far.

10 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I knew Ben Franklin had said it, but I never realized he was referring to the Constitution. I always thought it was a reference to life in general. I did guess that it though.

Yep, if there's a cliched American quote it is likely to have been Ben's. Of course, it wouldn't have been cliched then.

9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Totally agree.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

And I never saw her on Just Shoot Me.  I loved that show.  Very underrated.  Will have to go back and watch now and see who she is on there. 

She played herself as a guest star. I think it was just one episode. You're right that the show was underrated. Wendy Malick is fantastic. 

• Love 5

I couldn't remember Stephen Austin's complete name. When his picture came up, I said, "Stephen... something. Oh, I'll just say Sam Houston."

I didn't mind that simply Booth was accepted, but I didn't like that "Ethel" wasn't required since Julius was in the clue. Somehow that makes a difference to me. And I couldn't remember her first name. Emma? No, that's not it. 

10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Of course I’ve heard the phrase “death & taxes” before, but the word “durability” threw me in the completely wrong direction, I was trying to think if there was something with “stone.” I still don’t get how durability=certain. 

Yeah, I wasn't sure if the quote was going to be that the Constitution was durable or that it was not durable. BTW, this is the info I found:

And one of his last great quotes came as Franklin knew his life was near its end.

In November 1789, Franklin wrote French scientist Jean-Baptiste Le Roy, concerned that he hadn’t heard from Le Roy since the start of the French Revolution. Franklin wrote in French and the letter was later translated for the 1817 printing of his private correspondence.

After asking about Le Roy’s health and events in Paris for the past year, Franklin gives a quick update about the major event in the United States: the Constitution’s ratification a year before and the start of a new government under it.

“Our new Constitution is now established, everything seems to promise it will be durable; but, in this world, nothing is certain except death and taxes,” Franklin said. He concluded with a note about his own mortality to his friend: “My health continues much as it has been for some time, except that I grow thinner and weaker, so that I cannot expect to hold out much longer.”

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Chicken pot, chicken pot, chicken pot piiieeeeeee. 

That was the best episode, or really two, he came back for another one, of that show.  Slow Donnie. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

but I didn't like that "Ethel" wasn't required since Julius was in the clue. Somehow that makes a difference to me. And I couldn't remember her first name. Emma? No, that's not it. 

Maybe it was!  Maybe it was the infamous Emma Rosenbaum!

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

The Jeopardy Premonition of Death strikes again. And I just learned about her!

I came here to post this! Does Alex have a voodoo doll behind the podium or something?? 

I dont usually keep keep track of my TS (well, I remember what I get right, but I don’t really pay attention to whether the contestants manage to answer, lol) but “Waltzing Matilda” was an instaget just for the word “billabong”!

• Love 7

I came here to post about Kate Spade too. How awful! I have several of her bags & I've received a few texts & 2 people coming to my office to tell me. So, so sad. She had a 13-year-old daughter :-( She was only 55 years old.  

• Love 10
41 minutes ago, curlyblackeggs said:

but “Waltzing Matilda” was an instaget just for the word “billabong”!

It was an instaget just from "Australian song" (name another)!!

• Love 2
(edited)
4 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The Kookaburra Song. Which would probably have earned a "no, it's the other one" from Alex. And now it's in my head. Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree. Merry, merry king of the bush is he. Laugh, Kookaburra, laugh Kookaburra, gay your life must be.

I saw a kookaburra at an aviary. Its' call really did sound like laughing. Loud, raucous, cackling laughing.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, illdoc said:

My first (and only) thought was "Tie Me Kangaroo Down"....I just listened to it on YouTube..........so we tanned his hide when he died, Clyde, and that's it hanging on the shed, all together now!  

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I just heard this on the news and came right here. So sad and yes, creepy. Being a clue on Jeopardy is now worse than being a Sports Illustrated cover. I create ads for a very successful show dog named Kate Spade, so it's double weird for me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9
(edited)
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Wow.  At first I thought this was some kind of bad joke.  So sad.  And I think she has a daughter who's still quite young.  She must've been in some sort of terrible state to do such a thing.  It's true that you really never know what battles people are fighting just from outward appearances.

ETA:  Posted before I read @Toothbrush's mention of the daughter.  Didn't mean to be an echo chamber.  That makes it so much worse, though.

Edited by Mondrianyone
  • Love 7
On ‎05‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:33 AM, Toothbrush said:

I like Jeffrey despite the goofy wave, probably because my dad has the same name thought spelled with a "Geo" and not "Je".

If this Jeffrey spelled his name with the "Geo", he'd have exactly the same name as Erica's boyfriend on The Goldbergs.

• Love 2