Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

51 minutes ago, Pallida said:

So yeah, dudes got to say what they wanted, but Hannah got “are you having fun???” BS.

Thanks for making me dislike Trebek even more. I didn't think that was possible, but yeah, it is. I'm surprised he didn't ask if she's met her future husband yet in college and how many kids she plans to have.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks for making me dislike Trebek even more. I didn't think that was possible, but yeah, it is. I'm surprised he didn't ask if she's met her future husband yet in college and how many kids she plans to have.

All us females go to college only to get our MRS degrees!

• Love 8

I couldn’t finish watching yesterday’s final.  Dhrev bugged me to no end.  This year’s college championship was so uninspiring.  I’m looking forward to regular games.  Have there been any 5 day champs this year?

• Love 3

And a clue in another category was a picture of a lighthouse? Really?

That was the literal worst. I was excited when Alex started reading the clue, as it referenced the UP of Michigan...and then it was not even relevant. What is this? A lighthouse?? Derp. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

That was the literal worst. I was excited when Alex started reading the clue, as it referenced the UP of Michigan...and then it was not even relevant. What is this? A lighthouse??

Side note: A show I watched last night about the Little Sable Point lighthouse in Michigan said there are 55 lighthouses on the Michigan side of Lake Michigan. There are currently 124 (MOL) lighthouses in the entire state, more than any other U.S. state. This is sure to be a Jeopardy clue, complete with photos of course.

• Love 2

saber, we love our lighthouses. They're awesome! And it would be an interesting clue. 

But I wish the TOC clue would have mentioned something UP-specific, like shown a picture of Whitefish Point lighthouse and asked about the ship that went down 17 miles away from it (the Edmund Fitzgerald...of course, that was before their time, both shipwreck AND song ;)

• Love 11
On 4/20/2018 at 8:18 PM, Spunkygal said:

AT when reading the categories: "21st Century Operas. Uh oh!" WTH? Why did that category require an "uh oh?"

When the category was revealed, I think I said "Uh oh" too. I think I got three or four of the questions right anyway.  It's a weak category for me, but if the question is going to be about Pink Floyd, I guess I know a little more about opera (or 21st Century Operas anyway) than I thought.

On 4/21/2018 at 12:21 AM, burner said:

Dhruv has really irked me this whole tournament. He just always seemed so cocky and arrogant. And his searching for DD's also drove me crazy.

Dhruv seemed to be the teacher's pet in this tournament--the finals anyway. Alex never seemed to chide him for his wrong answers the way he usually does with other contestants. And also seemed to be more encouraging with the "way to go" when he hit a DD and got it right. I skipped the intros on the second day, but from the comments, it seemed he favored him there as well.

Of course, I might be prejudiced because my daughter is a UCF alum and we were rooting for Hannah.  I really thought she had a chance since she was only down a few hundred dollars from Day 1. After William blew his DD on Day 2, I thought he might back off and let Hannah at least have a chance at the buzzer since it was unlikely he would be able to beat Dhruv. I could blame the buzzer, which I think was part of Hannah's problem, but there were a couple of times when the "boys" didn't get the answer and she didn't even buzz in. So she lost fair and square and somehow William even came back from his disastrous DD and was able to garner 2nd place. 

William was all guts and glory. I admire his willingness to go all in. I'm sure he thought that the Historical Sites FJ would have a map with a star and a label for the closest natural feature.

Both FJs were an instaget for me. Hubs guessed Gettysburg, but succumbed to my logic--I saw Arlington right away with the folded flag reference. I saw Man of La Mancha in Kansas City with Herschel Bernardi in the starring role. How did I ever pull that name out of the hat? The name came to me and a google search confirmed the place and date. 

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Was that a Gordon Lightfoot song? 

Yes, it is a Gordon Lightfoot song.

Edited by Trey
Punctuation.
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Trey said:

Yes, it is a Gordon Lightfoot song

I thought so because it’s on his album that also has his hit Beautiful and my personal favorite Don Quixote which is a tie in to the Man of La Mancha FJ. Six degrees of answers. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

... and asked about the ship that went down 17 miles away from it (the Edmund Fitzgerald...of course, that was before their time, both shipwreck AND song ;)

The show I watched about the Little Sable lighthouse asked about the biggest shipwreck there, and I shouted out "the Edmund Fitzgerald!" because I do love me some Gordon Lightfoot. Turns out the sinker near there was the Novadoc, and the Fitzgerald sank on Lake Superior. I do like learning stuff! Would love to take the lighthouse tour around Michigan, bad things. Although I got a vertigo attack just watching the guys on tv step out on the "balcony" of the Little Sable, 100 ft. up. No thanks.

2 hours ago, tallykat said:

William was all guts and glory. I admire his willingness to go all in. I'm sure he thought that the Historical Sites FJ would have a map with a star and a label for the closest natural feature.

Tallykat wins my Internet today with the above. Ore-Ida forever!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 8

Back to regular episodes. Excellent!

But man oh man what's with that last category? They'll never get through every question in this round. Categories that suck up all the time in the round are my 2nd least favorite thing on Jeopardy! after jumpers.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
  • Love 5

That last category was the RuViews of movies and yes those kind of categories muck up the time.

I was very annoyed with Rex. Everytime he answered his hand went up to his face. He either touched his mustache or put his finger on his mouth. He began the DJ round without doing it so much so someone must have prompted him not to do it as much. 

Kate, the winner, sure smiles a lot but boy she was fast and usually correct. 

Only 2 TSers. Cressida and Cats. I didn’t get either but otherwise had a fair night. 

Edited to add: Where was my head when I wrote that? I knew other TSers. I think I was too distracted by Rex. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 6

Not a fan of the new champion. She was wearing childish colors, had green earrings that clashed with everything else, her book club reads "books for teens", she seems a little too satisfied with herself, kept going back to that Ru Paul category in the first round, and to top it all off she looks like a younger version of a neighbor of mine who I don't care for at all. At least she wasn't a board jumper and I think she's extremely beatable. I'm confident she won't be the champ for more than another day or two. Hopefully she's one and done.

I think Rex suffers from some sort of condition or affliction. I wanted him to win but that was obviously not going to happen before the first commercial break.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Tabasco Cat said:

Not a fan of the new champion. She was wearing childish colors, had green earrings that clashed with everything else, her book club reads "books for teens", she seems a little too satisfied with herself, kept going back to that Ru Paul category in the first round, and to top it all off she looks like a younger version of a neighbor of mine who I don't care for at all. At least she wasn't a board jumper and I think she's extremely beatable. I'm confident she won't be the champ for more than another day or two. Hopefully she's one and done.

I think Rex suffers from some sort of condition or affliction. I wanted him to win but that was obviously not going to happen before the first commercial break.

Childish colors?!?!?!?

• Love 11

This was a great game for me. I'm just happy to have regular Jeopardy back! Face touching guy seemed a little off, but he didn't bother me after 2 weeks of college kids. 

5 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Childish colors?!?!?!?

Dying to read an explanation for that as well.

Anyway, I had Cressida, records, Matthew Henson (do any contestants ever get him right?), the Haiti DD, and denial of service. FJ was an instaget for me. 

Welcome back, show! 

• Love 10

As it turns out, the RuPaul category didn't suck up as much time as those types of categories usually do. No stupid extraneous facts that had nothing to do with the clue. I liked how there was acknowledging laughter after RuPaul's "May the best contestant...win" statement.

• Love 6

I couldn't help but think today about everyone here who is back after two weeks away and got treated to the nightmare that was Rex. Holy cats, I'd rather sit through a week of Austin, who I detest, than another day of Rex. My first impression was "GROSS beard," plus he was sticking his tongue out during intros. Oh, no he wasn't, he was sticking his LIP out from under that disgusting facial hair. So nasty. First impressions DO count.

Then he keeps poking his finger in his eyes, in his MOUTH (SO gross!) and all around his face every time the camera cuts to him. Is this guy for real or is it Nick Offerman playing a joke on Trebek and the audience? During Double Jeopardy, he starts scratching his chest with the left-over fingers on his buzzer hand. WTH. I thank all the gods combined that he lost.

As for the game: Is "elephant's nose" the same as "elephant's trunk"? That was my answer for that furniture leg clue.

Big takeaway from this episode: Robin Williams had a nanny! Who knew?

Second takeaway: RuPaul is gorgeous. She reminded me a bit of Tyra Banks, back before Tyra got fat. (Joke, for those who remember Tyra wearing her bikini on Oprah's show to prove she is NOT fat.) Anyway, I love everything about RuPaul.

I'm a fan of the new champ. She was sharp and smart and played well. I hope she stays around a long time. As an aside, I never notice what people are wearing unless it's something so startling. It just doesn't matter to me. Personally, I am a primary-color wearer and never wear black or grey. I love red, bright plaids, any loud color, everything flamboyant. I went to five years of art college for my BFA and I don't give a care what anyone says about what I wear, childish or not. I gravitate toward people who are different and, therefore, NOT boring.

2 hours ago, teebax said:

Matthew Henson (do any contestants ever get him right?)

Henson, the first African-American Arctic explorer. His only child was courtesy of his Inuit "wife." There was a great PBS show about his son coming from the Arctic to find out about his father.

Edited by saber5055
Because Arctic is a proper noun.
  • Love 13
8 minutes ago, teebax said:

Anyway, I had Cressida, records, Matthew Henson (do any contestants ever get him right?), the Haiti DD, and denial of service. FJ was an instaget for me. 

5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Henson, the first African-American arctic explorer. His only child was courtesy of his Inuit "wife." There was a great PBS show about his son coming from the arctic to find out about his father.

I didn't know Matthew Henson either (I would like to watch that show now), but got the others. 

Can people not count anymore? The Haiti DD was an epic fail. Mexico isn't the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere despite what some in Washington might say and, on top of that, it has 6 letters in its name. That cost her the game. Cyprus has 6 letters too. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Then he keeps poking his finger in his eyes, in his MOUTH (SO gross!) and all around his face every time the camera cuts to him. 

I just kept thinking if he keeps putting his fingers in his mouth and then touching his eye he's going to get pink eye.

• Love 6

So glad that Rex didn’t win!  The only thing that would have made me happier is if he’d stayed in the red.  Not only could he not keep from touching himself, he was a leaner.  Must be something about that third podium.

FJ was not quite an instaget, but mostly because the right words wouldn’t come to me — Articles of, um, er, wait, I know this, oh yeah! Confederation!   The only TS I wrote down were records, cats, and submarine.  I think I might have to thank Lucy from the old Peanuts comic strip for cats.  Records was a guess.

• Love 5

Both women were good contestants.  Congrats to Kate!  Rex, on the other hand, was, what can I say, interesting?  Fingers in his mouth, like a toddler, and when Alex asked him what kind of music he performed he answered, "English".  WTH?

I got records, submarine, and Haiti (DD).

I'm so glad real Jeopardy! is back.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

That was the literal worst. I was excited when Alex started reading the clue, as it referenced the UP of Michigan...and then it was not even relevant. What is this? A lighthouse?? Derp. 

Sometimes I second guess myself when a clue is lighthouse-easy. I think oh, they are going for some specific lighthouse, it can't possibly just be "what is a lighthouse".

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SHD said:

As it turns out, the RuPaul category didn't suck up as much time as those types of categories usually do. No stupid extraneous facts that had nothing to do with the clue. I liked how there was acknowledging laughter after RuPaul's "May the best contestant...win" statement.

Since I somehow ran the category, I thought it didn't suck at all. ;)

I'm not fond of sulky contestants, so Rex was not a favorite of mine. Especially when he didn't perk up when he got back in the game.

Though a children's book club sounds odd, I guess when it's a bunch of children's book writers (plus Kate), it makes sense.

I wanted the other woman to stop tucking her hair behind her ear - especially when it popped out again when the camera was on her.

• Love 6

Loved the RuPaul category, and I cannot wait to see Alex on Drag Race! He's such an awkward person, I can't imagine how this will go down.

In the first round, I thought there were a lot surprising TS, but Kate was really impressive. In round 2, both women were super impressive! I didn't even notice the man.

• Love 8

I thought Kate was adorkable, and I would love to know which books her book club reads. I like children’s and young adult books, especially when they explore the challenges of society and emerging adulthood. Finding one’s place in the world and questioning the way the world works are good topics!

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was very annoyed with Rex. Everytime he answered his hand went up to his face. He either touched his mustache or put his finger on his mouth. He began the DJ round without doing it so much so someone must have prompted him not to do it as much. 

I immediately thought of Francis Ford Coppola during an Oscar show appearance. He was presenting something and couldn't stop putting his finger to his nose or face. I assumed it was a nervous tic.

I got submarine and the DD of Haiti. In the "phile" category, which I enjoyed though I wasn't good at, I said music instead of records. I suppose I was wrong.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Though a children's book club sounds odd, I guess when it's a bunch of children's book writers (plus Kate), it makes sense.

I would be all about being in a children's-book club. (Note the hyphen makes it a club for children's books, not a book club for children!). Children's illustration is my first love, and my major in college. I can't think of a better book club to belong to. I love children's book for so many reasons — I love reading them AND looking at the beautiful illustrations, many done by people I know.

20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I wanted the other woman to stop tucking her hair behind her ear - especially when it popped out again when the camera was on her.

I got distracted and missed the end of the interviews and first part of DJ so I did not see the hair tucking, thank goodness. Hair touching of any kind is a gigantic pet peeve of mine. Players can board jump all they want, just don't bob and weave, touch your hair OR YOUR FACE when the camera is on you.

18 minutes ago, Fex said:

I didn't even notice the man.

Count your blessings for that.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Trey said:

Yes, it is a Gordon Lightfoot song.

Or as my 9th grade World Cultures teacher used to call him, Gordon Heavyhand.  Then he would bang on his desk and laugh. He loved that song.  He was also one of my most favorite teachers, ever!

I got Haiti.  The best I came up with for FJ was Articles of something, something, what the hell is it, Confederation, no that can't be right, oh, it is right.

I like the new champ.  I've read (and taught) a lot of YA literature and now spend part of my day reading with 1st graders, so I thought her book club sounded interesting.  

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Or as my 9th grade World Cultures teacher used to call him, Gordon Heavyhand.  Then he would bang on his desk and laugh.

This cracked me up and made ME laugh. (I didn't pound on my desk though.) I had a college English teacher who would say someone's name, then alter the name, then walk around the room saying the different versions of the name. In retrospect, I'm pretty sure the guy was stoned. But he was good for a laugh.

• Love 7

I love all things RuPaul and can.not.wait. to see Alex as a judge on Drag Race. It's going to be a hot mess and I'm here for every second of it.

SO glad the grown ups are back but I wasn't really a fan of any of these contestants. I won't miss the old champ, I loathed Rex because he's one of those players that acts like wrong guesses don't count against you, and Kate played really well (so I will probably warm to her tomorrow) but am I the only one who felt she was YELLING?

My TS were records and Matthew Henson (no @teebax, I've never seen a contestant get him right. Sigh.), and the missed Haiti DD.  I got distracted by Instagram and missed seeing FJ.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
typos galore
  • Love 9

Glad to have the grown folks back, but I couldn't root for Rex, and I always root for the Louisianian. Kate reminded me of Mrs. Kravitz #1 from Bewitched, even though it was before my time Alex. Like Kristin, I got married in the French Quarter, but sans hecklers. Her Madame Tussaud DD was way too easy, but that was quite the ghoulish fact to learn. 

Ran the RuPaul & Shakespeare (on the bard's birthday) categories. TS I got were trunk, records, cats, Cressida, submarine, Malta, & FJ was an instaget. Dr. Toothbrush got Henson & Haiti even though I sadly did not. 

Alex on RuPaul's Drag Race is going to be a blast. I actually think he will have fun! 

13 hours ago, tallykat said:

lol!

• Love 9

I went to five years of art college for my BFA and I don't give a care what anyone says about what I wear, childish or not. I gravitate toward people who are different and, therefore, NOT boring.

THIS! I have a BFA, too. I switched to writing books because I wanted to be rich and famous. Bwahaha,

I actually got "confederation." I turned to Mr. Author and said, "Confederation...something of Confederation...Letters of Confederation? Oh, shit, the music stopped..."

• Love 8
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

For those of you who can't get enough Rex, you can buy his "English" music here:

https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/rexmoroux2

Thank you for the link. I clicked on it and sampled a couple of the tracks. He's certainly a lot more expressive in his music than he was on the show! "English" was a weird answer to Alex's music question. He could have said "alt-country" or "in the tradition of Bob Dylan." If Rex had been half as interesting in his interview as he was in his album notes, I might have rooted for him: 

“I’ve been a drunk, a lover, occasional liar, sweetheart, asshole, unemployed troublemaker, raconteur, bon vivant, wannabe Teddy boy, wannabe Bob Dylan, and on occasion a pretty goddamned good boyfriend.” 

I quite like the new champ, clothes and all. My guess is that she was told to wear a solid color over that brightly patterned blouse. I thought it was a cute coincidence that she is named Kate and answered a question about a Shakespearean Kate. I'd be interested in that book club too, to find out what "the kids" are reading nowadays.

• Love 8

Got cats, Haiti and denial of service. My friend was over and watched with me, so I didn't write down any others. I embarrased myself by confidently saying "Shaker" for Mission furniture, though. FJ was pretty easy, again thanks to my son's 7th grade social studies homework. LOL Loved, loved, loved the RuPaul category and can't wait to see Alex on the Drag Race. Drag really is mainstream now and Ru is a cultural icon.

Also, face-toucher Rex was super annoying, but I think he ran the philosophy category which is never easy. I liked the new champ. She was peppy in a good way. And I almost always hate the peppy ones. I was in a childrens-book club for a while. It was fun. Better than the usual Oprah-approved book club fare. We read Speak and 13 Reasons Why. Also a very good one featuring teens in an online world called Feed. A bit like Ready Player One, but with 1000% less 80's video games. One of our members was an English professor who taught a course in Children's Lit, so she had lots of good suggestions.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 11

I usually don't comment on people's appearance but the returning champ's hair was driving me to distraction! I don't remember it being that bad in her previous appearances. I kept wanting to take a brush to it. Throw in Rex's mannerisms and it was a tough show for me to watch. I'm just glad Kate won.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I would be all about being in a children's-book club. (Note the hyphen makes it a club for children's books, not a book club for children!). Children's illustration is my first love, and my major in college. I can't think of a better book club to belong to. I love children's book for so many reasons — I love reading them AND looking at the beautiful illustrations, many done by people I know.

As a professional writer, and sometimes grammar Nazi, I hang my head in shame at leaving out the hyphen.

6 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Kate reminded me of Mrs. Kravitz #1 from Bewitched, even though it was before my time Alex. Like Kristin, I got married in the French Quarter, but sans hecklers.

Ouch.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

THIS! I have a BFA, too. I switched to writing books because I wanted to be rich and famous. Bwahaha,

I actually got "confederation." I turned to Mr. Author and said, "Confederation...something of Confederation...Letters of Confederation? Oh, shit, the music stopped..."

Mr. Clanstarling is an American History buff, and has mentioned the Articles many times - so they popped into my head and out of my mouth before he answered.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Thank you for the link. I clicked on it and sampled a couple of the tracks. He's certainly a lot more expressive in his music than he was on the show! "English" was a weird answer to Alex's music question. He could have said "alt-country" or "in the tradition of Bob Dylan."

I'm no fan of his, but I took it as an attempt to be funny that just didn't work.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I embarrased myself by confidently saying "Shaker" for Mission furniture, though.

Since I only half said it in a whisper, I'm only semi-embarrassed.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Children's illustration is my first love, and my major in college.

Ooo, what a cool major. I love children's book illustrations, too. I get picture books from the library to read to my son at bedtime, and I have my favorites (though I can't think of names right now). 

7 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I love all things RuPaul and can.not.wait. to see Alex as a judge on Drag Race. It's going to be a hot mess and I'm here for every second of it.

I've never seen Drag Race, except for a clip or two. I didn't realize that Alex was going to be a judge. I want to see that. Do we know when that'll be?

I loathed Rex because he's one of those players that acts like wrong guesses don't count against you

Hee. That's a great way of putting it.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

I kept wanting to take a brush to it.

Exactly! So many contestants really need a hair makeover. 

I was wondering if Rex had Tourette's Syndrome - his  mannerisms were odd to say the least.

Kate was a tad loud but quick and sharp so I liked her the best.

Embarrassed to say I answered 'garlic' for ailurophile, not sure why.  The cats on either side of me were not impressed.

I knew FJ was __________ of _________ but I could not fill in the blanks.

And the music station I listen to just played Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald:)

• Love 10

And for the record I can't stand that Gordon Lightfoot song about the Edmund Fitzgerald.  And the fact its about 6 minutes long doesn't help matters.  The ship probably sank in a shorter amount of time than it takes to sing that song. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

I embarrased myself by confidently saying "Shaker" for Mission furniture, though. FJ was pretty easy, again thanks to my son's 7th grade social studies homework.

We said Amish. I also have re-remembered facts that allow me to answer clues correctly thanks to helping the kiddos with homework & studying. 

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman said:

And for the record I can't stand that Gordon Lightfoot song about the Edmund Fitzgerald.  And the fact its about 6 minutes long doesn't help matters.  The ship probably sank in a shorter amount of time than it takes to sing that song. 

lol! 

• Love 3

FJ was something I didn't know I knew until the question was asked. Then it was an instaget. I love when that happens!

Rex the serial toucher was a handful to watch. Nice comeback at the end, but glad I won't have to witness his feely ways another day.

That was funny! I've never seen that happen before on J!, nor have I seen someone touching himself. Two firsts on the return from break...

• Love 3