Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 3/28/2018 at 10:00 PM, SHD said:

I thought Emily was like Pam Beesly on Ambien.

She reminds me of a female Ralphie Parker (A Christmas Story).  I think it's the glasses, the blue eyes, the little grimace.  And I mean it in a cute way.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

That champion could not be more doll.  She looks like a robot up there.  She hardly moves

I'll take a robot over Dancing Jennifer and Miming Look At Me Whatever His Name Was (I have him blocked) any day. @TeamEmily

• Love 6

No answer???? Couldn't come up with a single department? Shame on you!!! Of course, "state" was a bad answer too, but at least it was an answer!! And, given it's the 50th anniversary of his assassination this year, you'd think they'd have seen a picture of RFK, so they would have recognized him from the painting, so that's not an excuse.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, illdoc said:

No answer???? Couldn't come up with a single department? Shame on you!!! Of course, "state" was a bad answer too, but at least it was an answer!! And, given it's the 50th anniversary of his assassination this year, you'd think they'd have seen a picture of RFK, so they would have recognized him from the painting, so that's not an excuse.

I thought that was an easy FJ....the pic of RFK and he was our Attorney General, of course maybe that was 'before their time" as Alex likes to say...

• Love 5

Bye bye to human sleeping pill Emily. I cringed for Daniel when he froze on the first answer, but he did an excellent job redeeming himself. 

I did not get too many TS's tonight, apart from Lutheran and Randi. For FJ I said Attorney General, which would probably not have been accepted since they wanted the department and not the head of it.

• Love 4

I recognized Bobby, but couldn't for the life of me come up with the department.  Congrats to the new champion, who redeemed himself quite well after his mental flatulence on the first clue.

Good game overall, too -- not too many TS, no one had crazy antics, and everyone started at the top until time was running out, which is the only excuse for not starting at the top.  I got three-point landing, Culloden, Amazing Randi, and Whitehead. 

• Love 6
(edited)

That was indeed a beautiful portrait of young Bobby Kennedy. My first flash of thought was that it was Robert Redford. But then I got my brain on track and went from RFK to Attorney General to Justice Dept. just before the buzzer. I might not have had time to write it. I got Lutheranism, Colloden, James Randi and poacher. It was fun to have James Randi in a game where they also had 3 card monte as a clue. Randi is a master of sleight of hand, and has spend most of his life attacking fake psychics, con artists and frauds.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'll take a robot over Dancing Jennifer and Miming Look At Me Whatever His Name Was (I have him blocked) any day. @TeamEmily

Total JINX, Saber. WTH with posting that?

For the clue with the answer "pzazz," I said "zazzle." You know, like "She's a showboat, full of razzle zazzle."

No? Okay then.

Anyone who watches The Bachelor got Stockholm Syndrome since all Bach contestants end up affected with that.

I got 3-point landing and Culloden. It pays to be Scottish ... sometimes.

As for FJ, I instantly recognized RFK but blanked on his job/department. And yeah, it wasn't "before my time" Alex. I was here for all those assassinations in the 60s and remember each one quite vividly. So I can't harsh on anyone who missed FJ, before their time or not.

28 minutes ago, Kathira said:

It was fun to have James Randi in a game where they also had 3 card monte as a clue.

Three-card monte ... I got that, but is "monte" from Spanish?

And isn't James Randi known as The Amazing Randi? (Too tired to look it up.)

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4

Yay Daniel!  Good wagering on his DD's and FJ.  I'm so glad mush mouthed Debbie Downer is gone.

I hated when Alex said Robot Girl looked like she could be on the College Tournament (next week - blech!) implying the other two contestants were old goats.  Don't be a tool, Trebeck.

The only TS I got was poacher.

FJ was an instaget.  That is a lovely picture of Bobby.

• Love 11
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It pays to be Scottish ... sometimes.

Does having Scottish ancestry count (Walker and McKenzie here)? 

22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

He is.  In fact, my response was The Amazing Randi.  I wouldn't have ever thought of his first name.  Unless it's Kit.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS I got was poacher.

I remember reading that story. I said: "Good for the elephant." 

A five letter word for weariness and boredom: Who is Emily?

I do give her props for knowing her Reese Witherspoon movies though. 

When Alex said that it looks like one of you is going to end up with a lot of money today, I thought it would be an instaget for all of them as it was for me. I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Love 5

That was a very good game, although FJ surprised me. I thought they'd all get it immediately. It was easier than a college tournament level question, so I guess Alex was wrong about how well Emily would fit in for that tournament! 

I ran the Reese Witherspoon category, much to my surprise. I don't dislike her, and I love Election, but I didn't realize I'd seen so many of her movies. 

I had 3 point landing, Lutheranism, Sandra Cisneros, poacher (duh), and FJ in an instaget. 

2 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

A five letter word for weariness and boredom: Who is Emily?

Ha! 

I said blasé for that one. I can't remember the question though. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I admired her going whole hog on her sooey call/response.

"Soo-EEE, PIG, PIG, PIG!" The call of the Arkansas Razorback.

30 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

He is.  In fact, my response was The Amazing Randi.  I wouldn't have ever thought of his first name.  Unless it's Kit.

I always thought Randi/Randy was his first name. So he could be Randi Carson in that case.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I was here for all those assassinations in the 60s and remember each one quite vividly.

So you were there for the Lincoln assassination, too?  You might be older than I am.  Here, take the hat.

I think "amazing" was in the clue.  But yeah, he was.

I also have a collection of jewelry in the shape of some specific thing.  (It's one of my planned anecdotes for when I never go on the show, so I don't want to give it away here and steal my own thunder.)  But I have it because I love it and it amuses me, and I have some enthusiasm for it.  Getting Emily to talk about her collection was like pulling tusks.  I'm not sad to see her go.

They really couldn't deduce three-point landing in a category of threes?  I mean . . .

• Love 7
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

So you were there for the Lincoln assassination, too?  You might be older than I am.  Here, take the hat.

I guess I was since that one was in the 60s as well. Gimme that hat, my head is getting cold and I'm cranky. I musen't catch a chill, especially since Trebek made a point of saying my looks don't qualify me for the college tourney.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Mondrianyone said:

They really couldn't deduce three-point landing in a category of threes?  I mean . . .

Yeah, that was easy.  Maybe they thought the word "three" shouldn't be in the clue.  ??

I got that one, Whitehead, and Culloden, but I pronounced Culloden wrong.  I've never heard the word, have only seen it.

I like the new champ too.  He has a nice smile.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

For the clue with the answer "pzazz," I said "zazzle." You know, like "She's a showboat, full of razzle zazzle."

No? Okay then.

I also said zazzle!

• Love 4

Other than Lutheranism, I ran the first round.  I wasn't quite as sharp in DJ, but it was still a good game for me.

Poacher and three-point landing were the only TS that surprised me tonight, especially the former.  (Sandra Cisneros disappointed me, but didn’t surprise me).  Two of them not knowing Robert Kennedy was Attorney General (or maybe knowing that but not knowing Attorney General = Justice Dept.) also threw me for a loop.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, opus said:

Didn't the pizzazz clue say it had 3 z's? Me and google always thought it had 4.

You would be correct. They did say 3 Z's. Pizzazz has 4. Can the Jeopardy! writers properly count?

• Love 1
Just now, AuntiePam said:

Yeah, that was easy.  Maybe they thought the word "three" shouldn't be in the clue.  ??

Do you mean in the answer/question?  It was in the others:  Threepenny Opera, three-card monte, I forget what else.  I can't figure out why they couldn't come up with something so easy, especially since the clue did the math for them.

Just now, AuntiePam said:

I got that one, Whitehead, and Culloden, but I pronounced Culloden wrong.  I've never heard the word, have only seen it.

I'll be dictionary girl for the night (like every other night of my life).  Webster gives two pronunciations:  Cull-ODD-en and Cul-OH-den.  I said the latter, but I've never heard it pronounced either.

Just now, DrScottie said:

You would be correct. They did say 3 Z's. Pizzazz has 4. Can the Jeopardy! writers properly count?

Annnd . . . Webster also gives two spellings, one with four z's and one with just three (pizazz).  Surprising they don't have someone check spellings before they use clues like that one.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

That was indeed a beautiful portrait of young Bobby Kennedy. My first flash of thought was that it was Robert Redford. But then I got my brain on track and went from RFK to Attorney General to Justice Dept. just before the buzzer. I might not have had time to write it. I got Lutheranism, Colloden, James Randi and poacher. It was fun to have James Randi in a game where they also had 3 card monte as a clue. Randi is a master of sleight of hand, and has spend most of his life attacking fake psychics, con artists and frauds.

I've never heard of The Amazing Randi... until yesterday when he was a theme answer in the NYT Sunday crossword! Weird!

I can't believe none of them got poacher. That seemed so obvious to me!

• Love 5

Thanks to The X-Files, all I could think of was The Amazing Maleeni, and I knew that wasn't right.  I don't care for magic shows, so I only know the names of maybe two or three performers.  James Randi was not one of them, but I just perused the Wikipedia article on him, and he sounds like an interesting guy.

• Love 2

You know, like "She's a showboat, full of razzle zazzle."

I always thought it was razzle dazzle (not zazzle, which my spell-check does NOT like), and... I guessed dazzle :)

Singing from a musical I was NOT in but wish I had been, LOL:

Give 'em the old razzle dazzle,
Razzle Dazzle 'em
Give 'em an act with lots of flash in it
And the reaction will be passionate...

GREAT pic of Bobby, whom I once shook hands with during a parade in Flushing, NY.

• Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, opus said:

I almost said Amazing Kreskin, but had enough time to reread the clue and come up with Randi.

Kreskin would have been ironic since Randi is probably best known for debunking mentalists like him.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Thanks to The X-Files, all I could think of was The Amazing Maleeni, and I knew that wasn't right.  I don't care for magic shows, so I only know the names of maybe two or three performers.  James Randi was not one of them, but I just perused the Wikipedia article on him, and he sounds like an interesting guy.

Interestingly, that X-Files episode featured a man who is considered by many to be the greatest living master of sleight of hand, Ricky Jay. He does a lot of consulting for movies and tv featuring magic. Jay is also a historian of magic and is also known for debunking fraudsters. Even if you're not a fan of magic, I suggest checking out Ricky Jay's cups and balls routine, which he calls The History Lesson. It's truly one of the most amazing (and interesting) things I've ever seen.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I always thought it was razzle dazzle (not zazzle, which my spell-check does NOT like), and... I guessed dazzle :)

Razzle Dazzle 'em

I do SO miss Jerry Orbach.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got 3-point landing and Culloden. It pays to be Scottish ... sometimes.

I had only read the word "Culloden" until recently, so when the clue came up, I knew the answer and wanted to say: "KULL-uh-den." I also knew that it was pronounced differently than what I thought but couldn't remember "Kuh-LOD-den." I wonder if I would have gotten credit.

• Love 2

I've only ever heard Culloden pronounced Cull-OH-den -- by Scottish folk.  In Scotland.  Or, to be specific, at Culloden battlefield.  So I'll take their words for it, and not pay any attention to Alex's odd pronunciation.

• Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I always thought it was razzle dazzle (not zazzle,

Because I said 'zazzle' instead of the three- or four-z pzazz, I invented a quick sentence with using 'zazzle' and didn't want to spend my entire day on it so wrote "zazzle dazzle." Those words are not written in stone and were not meant to be. It was just a sentence I made up. Thank goodness zazzle dazzle isn't in Urban Dictionary but razzle dazzle is, so there's that. (Hint: It's not just lyrics from Chicago.)

There is a nightclub near me called Pzazz, so that's how I figured the three-z word was spelled. It sounds like a place that would be recommended by Stefon.

Americans pronounce Culloden with the emphasis on the first syllable whereas in Scotland, the emphasis is on the second. It's a totally different sound, makes it seem like two different words instead of the same one.

Great video Kathira, thanks for posting. I swear, I do believe in magic, especially after watching Ricky Jay. Magic hands, for sure!

p.s. I do have a dog named Dazzle and she is very much full of zazzle.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Kathira said:

Kreskin would have been ironic since Randi is probably best known for debunking mentalists like him.

Interestingly, that X-Files episode featured a man who is considered by many to be the greatest living master of sleight of hand, Ricky Jay. He does a lot of consulting for movies and tv featuring magic. Jay is also a historian of magic and is also known for debunking fraudsters. Even if you're not a fan of magic, I suggest checking out Ricky Jay's cups and balls routine, which he calls The History Lesson. It's truly one of the most amazing (and interesting) things I've ever seen.

That is amazing.  I couldn't even remember all those details let alone do those tricks

• Love 4
17 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

For FJ I said Attorney General, which would probably not have been accepted since they wanted the department and not the head of it.

That was nearly my downfall too - I said Attorney-General and didn't think any further,  then realized they wanted the department; I may or may not have had time to write dept. of Justice.

I knew the correct pronunciation of Culloden from having listened many times to The Skye Boat Song.

I liked Daniel and am glad he won.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I thought that was an easy FJ....the pic of RFK and he was our Attorney General, of course maybe that was 'before their time" as Alex likes to say...

It was before my time, and I didn't remember that RFK had been Attorney General.  But I guessed Justice simply because nothing else sounded right to me.

19 hours ago, secnarf said:

I'm a huge fan of Robert Kennedy, so it's no surprise I recognized him instantly, but I am really surprised two of them were unable to identify him.

They might've known who it was but didn't know what department he ran.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've only ever heard Culloden pronounced Cull-OH-den -- by Scottish folk.  In Scotland.  Or, to be specific, at Culloden battlefield.  So I'll take their words for it, and not pay any attention to Alex's odd pronunciation.

I've heard it both ways, from Scottish people in Scotland at Culloden battlefield.  So even they don't agree on the pronunciation.

• Love 2
(edited)

Just when I decided I could live with Emily, she loses. But I was rooting for Daniel, since that is the oldest mini-Toothbrush's name, so I am gad he won. I googled Henry Holcomb, and he sure is a cutie!

We got a boo hiss right off the bat - drink! I feel that if Daniel had answered Johnson, and not Andrew Johnson, we would have gotten a BMS also. 

My mom collects elephants.

I ran the Reese Witherspoon category (surprised there wasn't a Wrinkle In Time video clue left over from last month). TS I got were Lutheranism, Randi, poacher. FJ was very easy, and I am surprised Elizabeth & Emily missed it. 

Nitpick: referring to Denmark as a kingdom. I suppose it is a catch-all term, but when the Danish queen's husband died a couple of months ago, much was made of his displeasure at not being made king when they married his father-in-law died and his wife became queen. You don't hear about the British kingdom; it is usually referred to as the British monarchy. 

20 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

I didn't get it, but Dr. Toothbrush did. But he is an aviation geek, so he probably would have known it regardless of the category name.

19 hours ago, Bastet said:

(Sandra Cisneros disappointed me, but didn’t surprise me).  Two of them not knowing Robert Kennedy was Attorney General (or maybe knowing that but not knowing Attorney General = Justice Dept.) also threw me for a loop.

I think the book was a clue recently, but they were looking for Mango Street as the answer that time. I'm glad it came up again, because it reminded me to add it to my reading list, which I may complete by the year 2100.

18 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I hadn't heard of The Amazing Randi either. I said The Amazing Kreskin.

Kreskin is très cool, and I am sure Randi would dearly love to disprove him.

16 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Razzle Dazzle 'em

Jerry Orbach <sniff> I remember Jesse L. Martin (Jerry's L&O partner & my future 2nd husband), singing that as a tribute to Jerry at the Tony awards after Jerry died. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 10
(edited)
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I've heard it both ways, from Scottish people in Scotland at Culloden battlefield.  So even they don't agree on the pronunciation.

The Scots have regional accents, hence the difference. The key is putting emphasis on the second syllable, not the first, an American tendency.

Reece Witherspoon Movies as a FJ category would be hilarious.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I got the Amazing Randi right away.  I have to admit I was surprised he's still alive.  I'm a baby boomer and remember watching him on Wonderama when I was a kid; and I'm talking about the Sonny Fox hosted years!  I had to look him up to check.  He turns 90 this coming August.

• Love 4

I was watching an ancient Johnny Carson rerun last night.  They were making Gerald Ford is Clumsy jokes (ah!  The good old days!) and the Amazing Randi was one of the guests.  I thought of y'all.

• Love 7